PDA

View Full Version : Remy without alcohol

janetanne
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
has anyone gone to Remy that doesn't drink alcohol at all? Is it just as enjoyable? And are you in and out of the restaurant quicker. None of us at our table will be drinking. :grouphug:

Conservative Hippie
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm wondering this as well. We would love to try Palo and Remy sometime, but we don't drink at all. I wonder if it would be awkward, or if we wouldn't get a lot out of it.

whitfive
02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Alcohol is not included in the dining fee. Wine or alcoholic beverages that you order will be added to your account. So, YES, you can definitely enjoy the wonderful meal without alcohol!
Hope this helps!:thumbsup2
Michelle

speedo
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I have eaten at Palo and other very nice restaurants without drinking alcohol. I don't think it has ever detracted from my dining experience. I would definitely recommend Palo - It was fantastic! I'll let you know how Remy is after I go in May!

SoCaOC-Mom
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
DH doesn't drink and it didn't damper his experience.

lesroi
02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't drink and I enjoyed Palo very much on our last cruise. I also enjoyed Victoria and Albert's a lot and didn't drink there either.

I really have never been a drinker and have enjoyed many meals in fine restaurants. It has never taken anything away from the experience or made the servers/chef rush our meal.

I would certainly book Palo or Remy if I had the opportunity again, sans alcohol!

Tracy

sambycat
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
i donít think it will get you out of there much quicker though! :goodvibes

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Also I'm sure they can make you some virgin cocktail's or drink's if you would feel awkward!

Ex Techie :)

SoCaOC-Mom
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Also I'm sure they can make you some virgin cocktail's or drink's if you would feel awkward!

They probably could but I think with Remy the emphasis is really wine pairing and not so much a regular cocktail- virgin or other wise.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I know.

Just a suggestion for someone not wanting to look awkward without a alcoholic looking drink that anyone else wouldn't know wasn't alcoholic. :goodvibes

SoCaOC-Mom
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I know.

Just a suggestion for someone not wanting to look awkward without a alcoholic looking drink that anyone else wouldn't know wasn't alcoholic. :goodvibes

DH drank coke and everything still tasted great.

I think part of the advantage to being seated in the wine cellar is that no one else seems to notice . :goodvibes

pluto1979
02-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi There,
I do not drink due to medical reasons. That being said, I have to say that eating at Remy's was just wonderful. I never felt wierd about not ordering alcohol. In fact when I passed on the cocktail they serve they brought me sparkling cider instead. They never pressure you to purchase alcohol nor the wine packages. Feel comfortable about eating there without needing to drink!
You will thoroughly enjoy!

Have a DREAMy cruise!!!

Kirbo
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I know.

I don't drink. And it's never occurred to me to use a prop to look as if I do drink :confused3

DH and I did Palo and had a lovely time! It was only brunch, we'll do dinner on our upcoming cruise, but we never felt that we were missing out on anything by not drinking.

Do it! You'll have a great meal and a wonderful time.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't drink. And it's never occurred to me to use a prop to look as if I do drink :confused3

Myself neither when I have been the designated driver of the evening :)
I was answering and referring to post #2:
"I wonder if it would be awkward, or if we wouldn't get a lot out of it."

:goodvibes

Conservative Hippie
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Myself neither when I have been the designated driver of the evening :)
I was answering and referring to post #2:
"I wonder if it would be awkward, or if we wouldn't get a lot out of it."

:goodvibes

We don't drink, and we really don't want to look like we drink.

What I meant was, it seems like so much of the experience is tied up in the wine pairings, the wine cellar tour, the sommelier, the pourings, etc., that a large part of the experience that your $75 pays for (and it does pay for the experience, you pay for the actual wine!) will be missing. My fear is that we'll get there, say no thank you, we don't drink, and they will go oh..........and it will be awkward for the rest of the evening. I've even been to restaurants that have tried to push a "complimentary" glass on us. Aside from the wandering DOTD on the first day, I have never felt that kind of pressure on a Disney ship, and don't want to have it at a dinner I've paid extra for.

Kirbo
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM

What I meant was, it seems like so much of the experience is tied up in the wine pairings, the wine cellar tour, the sommelier, the pourings, etc., that a large part of the experience that your $75 pays for (and it does pay for the experience, you pay for the actual wine!) will be missing. My fear is that we'll get there, say no thank you, we don't drink, and they will go oh..........and it will be awkward for the rest of the evening. I've even been to restaurants that have tried to push a "complimentary" glass on us. Aside from the wandering DOTD on the first day, I have never felt that kind of pressure on a Disney ship, and don't want to have it at a dinner I've paid extra for.
At our Palo brunch they offered us a complimentary glass of champagne. When we said that neither of us drinks they were lovely and never mentioned it again. We were very happy with them. We also told our regular servers that we don't drink alcohol and they never forgot. :thumbsup2

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM

:goodvibes Your post was ambiguous thou!

Have a great time at Palo or Remy!

Conservative Hippie
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
:goodvibes Your post was ambiguous thou!

Have a great time at Palo or Remy!

That's true, I can see what you were thinking. The idea of using a prop to look like we drink is really really silly to me though! Not to break the religion rule, but being "different" is part of the point.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Hope whatever meal you have is fantastic and as yummy as they look in the thread's!

sdlong329
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
has anyone gone to Remy that doesn't drink alcohol at all? Is it just as enjoyable? And are you in and out of the restaurant quicker. None of us at our table will be drinking.

Do you enjoy the main dining rooms? Palo and Remy are indeed nicer cuisine ... so ... if you like the main dining rooms, I am sure you will like Palo and Remy. You do not need to drink, in order to enjoy dinner. As for taking longer ... both Palo and Remy DO take longer, but not because of alcohol. :thumbsup2

over50visits
02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi There,
I do not drink due to medical reasons. That being said, I have to say that eating at Remy's was just wonderful. I never felt wierd about not ordering alcohol. In fact when I passed on the cocktail they serve they brought me sparkling cider instead. They never pressure you to purchase alcohol nor the wine packages. Feel comfortable about eating there without needing to drink!
You will thoroughly enjoy!

Have a DREAMy cruise!!!

We were exactly the same - the nonalcoholic drink they brought to start the meal was wonderful. The wine steward stopped by to ask if we wanted to discuss wine with him, and we politely declined. He was very, very gracious - what a gentleman. And our meal was fabulous.

justhat
02-06-2012, 10:55 PM
I am not a big drinker and have been pregnant or breastfeeding on several cruises. Never had an issue in Palo. Haven't been to Remy, but will go on the Fantasy and likely not drink. I'd rather save my calories for dessert than wine!

lilpooh108
02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
To the OP--I totally get what you're asking. I dislike feeling like second class citizens for not ordering alcohol w/dinner. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, but we don't like getting judged for it.

Back to your question...

Surprisingly, it was pretty ok for us not ordering alcohol in Remy. The wait staff is amazing there, and we actually love unobtrusive service. (We've been to France a few times and it really amuses us to see aloof French service.)

We drink, and we had the initial cocktail, but we did not order any more. No pressure, didn't feel weird at all.

In contrast, our head waiter at dining service on our 1st Dream cruise made us feel neglected/annoyed since the table next to us ordered the Wine Package and he chatted and tended to them the entire cruise. DD has allergies and he made obligatory check in conversation about that, but forgot to order several meals for her (1 lunch & 1 dinner).

On the Wonder, our waiter at Palo made sort of a big deal out of us not ordering alcohol during dinner. I felt a little self conscious.

Remy was just fine. Have fun!

lakerz5
02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm allergic to alcohol and have never had a problem at Palo. We are in the middle of booking a Fantasy cruise and hope to get a reservation to Remy. Since it really is not a choice to drink alcohol or not it has never been a problem. I simply can't or I won't have an airway. I've never felt uncomfortable when asked if I'd like a drink:confused3..and I don't think it is an issue to the wait-staff:)...there are a lot of folks that don't drink alcohol for a variety of issues.:flower3:

Donathius
02-07-2012, 12:28 AM
We don't drink and did Palo brunch on the Wonder a few weeks ago. We declined the complimentary champagne and our server instead brought us sparkling apple cider. It went well with the brunch food and we got refills!

poison ivy
02-07-2012, 05:31 AM
We dined at Remy without drinking and were there for 3 hrs. Nobody cared or noticed. It was a non-issue. The emphasis is on the attention to detail and service designed to provide you an exceptional culinary experience. Wine pairing is certainly an added benefit but by no means necessary.

Callymum
02-07-2012, 05:45 AM
My husband is a non drinker and we did Palo in October, we had Sprites with our meal.
Who says you need to drink to enjoy a meal! only the drinkers say this. We had a stunning experience with the food and the service, I do drink and actually had a glass of wine but I didn't enjoy it.

I don't believe Alcohol helps the pallate IMO, I actually had mostly ice water with my meal, so I got to taste every lovely bit of the meal. I prefer soft drinks or water when eating and tend to leave the Alcahol to another time.

We are going to book Reme and Palo this October on the Fantasy and I was a little bit wary of booking Reme because of the dominance of the wine list during this meal, but I decided I'm a foodie lover and not a wine Coinnaseaur so bring on the Food. :surfweb: