PDA

View Full Version : Is Costco still best place to buy cruise?

borgthe
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I have been searching obsessively for the best price, and because of this board I discovered Costco offers a $215 cash card for booking my cruise. Everyone else is offering $100 onboard credit or less. Does anyone know of a better deal?

Thanks!

kcashner
02-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Everyone must sell DCL for the same price. THe ways they differ is in the value of whatever "thank you" gift they may offer and the service they provide.

Costco offers a large gift card...so if you shop there, that can be a nice perk. On the other hand if you are looking for service, this is not the place to find it.

CruisinEars
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
We always book through Costco. This next one we are getting over $400 in our gift card. It is a good deal for us. We also always get the Costco insurance since the price and coverage are better.

As far as service, we have had great service from Costco. We just booked our next on online while we were in Australia. The next day we decided to upgrade to the next category. We weren't able to call so I emailed and asked if someone could help us with the change. Got a reply back relatively quickly from an agent and I emailed her back with our request and it was done within 24 hours and she got us the cabin we requested. We were very pleased.

princesscinderella
02-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I have booked all my cruises thru Costco or onboard naming Costco. The cash card can not be beat. We also get the insurance through the company they have pre negotiated a great policy that cover pre existing conditions and includes a extended family such as aunt, uncles, inlaws etc and their illnesses or death as reasons for cancelation. I have never had any problems with their service, you don't necessarily have one travel agent, but you can always call the 800 and get great service.

ansmom
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM
We book all our cruises (DCL and others) through Costco the incentives can't be beat for the ones we've booked. I've only had a problem once and I just hung up and called back to get a different rep and it was taken care of.

GoHabsGo
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Can anyone tell me whether I can now name Costco as my TA (having forgotten to name anyone when onboard booking was done...)?

Tweet
02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
We are Costco members and never knew we could book through them. Does anyone have the phone number or name of someone from there?

CruisinEars
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
We are Costco members and never knew we could book through them. Does anyone have the phone number or name of someone from there?

You can book online at Costco.com and then look under the Travel tab or call 877-849-2730.

brewcrew
02-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Can I use Costco for travel insurance if I booked my cruise through another travel agent?

Bear3412
02-07-2012, 04:48 AM
I will receive an 8% rebate in the form of a Costco Cash Card a few weeks after we return from our cruise. I ran all the OBC offers prior to booking and this save us the most $. Of course it is not instant or even OBC, but... we decided it made the most sense at the time.
I didn't hear about the insurance unfortunately:sad2:
Service.. who needs service? I need a # to call to pay when I have extra monies. :lmao:

cats mom
02-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Can anyone tell me whether I can now name Costco as my TA (having forgotten to name anyone when onboard booking was done...)?

Last time I checked Costco would not accept transferred ressies, so unless policy has changed recently - no.

I'm sure that rule is in place because DCL only gives TA's full commission if the agent is named at the time of booking. If an existing reservation is transferred later, they only get partial commission.

mcmckuf
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Do you have to be a Costco member to use the travel agency? I only ask because some of the club services do not, such as alcohol, etc.

munchie
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow, never knew about Costco giving cash cards back for cruise bookings... have any Canadians out there used Costco?

GoHabsGo
02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Last time I checked Costco would not accept transferred ressies, so unless policy has changed recently - no.

I'm sure that rule is in place because DCL only gives TA's full commission if the agent is named at the time of booking. If an existing reservation is transferred later, they only get partial commission.

Thanks - even though you have disappointed me greatly :rotfl:

hrhdhd
02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Do you have to be a Costco member to use the travel agency? I only ask because some of the club services do not, such as alcohol, etc.

Yes. To book online or by phone, you have to provide a Costco membership number.

mommyz
02-07-2012, 01:23 PM

That is true. They will not take a transferred reservation.

woodduckmn
02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Go to c o s t c o t r a v e l . c o m to see their offers. We have used them for DL also to get hotel and tickets, you get a free sit-down meal.

crusingmama
02-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I am new to cruising but I booked my first cruise with Costco last year (Royal Caribbean) and it was a GREAT deal. I also used them for my upcoming Fantasy cruise this summer. I am a frequent Costco shopper so I will have no problem using up my sizable cash card that I will be receiving.

As there is a lot of debate as to whether you will receive the cash card if you book onboard for a future cruise, I called Costco myself to get an answer right from the horse’s mouth. The key to getting the cash card is that you have to declare Costco as the agent of record when booking your future cruise on board. If you don't declare or declare another agent and then try to change to Costco=NO CASH CARD.

cnj
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM

We booked online and did not name Costco. I waited until I had everything set up and just called Costco and transferred it to them. They did this with absolutely no problems and I am getting 8% back when we cruise. I have done this with all my reservations, including ones made onboard and have had no problems transferring to them. I transferred the latest one in October. Have never named a travel agent when booking.

cnj
02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I do not know if they have changed with onboard bookings, but the worst they can say is no.

mellyp
02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Last week my friend order their cruise from costco. I just wonder how they do online check in and reserve Palo? How we can link our reservation so we can seat in the same table? I book my reservation onboard.

KBT35
02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
So can you only use the cash card at Costco or is this redeemable on board the ship like OBC?

woodduckmn
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
When you book through Costco, the DCL reservation number is on the confirmation email and then you go on DCL website and do all your extra. That is how I did it.

Tiger926
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Wow, never knew about Costco giving cash cards back for cruise bookings... have any Canadians out there used Costco?

Canadians can no longer book through Costco.

They changed this policy last year. I emailed and spoke to customer service, as we were very disappointed.

They explained a variety of reasons, none of which made sense to us.

Perhaps they've changed their policy, as I haven't contacted them since last spring when we booked our Fantasy cruise.

Hope this info is helpful, Tiger

mmouse37
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Go to c o s t c o t r a v e l . c o m to see their offers. We have used them for DL also to get hotel and tickets, you get a free sit-down meal.

You don't have to spell it out like that. just put www.costcotravel.com

In fact using the full url of a website is the way it is supposed to be done. thanks.

MJ

hrhdhd
02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
So can you only use the cash card at Costco or is this redeemable on board the ship like OBC?

It depends. For some cruises, they offer a Costco cash card and for some cruises OBC. I got a Costco card for my Disney cruise and am getting OBC for my upcoming Azamara cruise. If you search for cruises online, the display will tell you if you'll get a card or OBC.