PDA

View Full Version : Must do off property restaurants?

ldhr2005
02-04-2012, 01:54 PM
We are staying OP and do many of our tried and true (as well as some new) OP places. But, was just curious what else there is out there? Any suggestions?

Planogirl
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Bahama Breeze is a favorite of ours. There are some good places at Citywalk too.

goofyernmost
02-04-2012, 02:02 PM
There isn't enough room on this board to list all the dining possibilities that exist off-site. Everything from Golden Corral to Dinner Shows and everything in between. Just about every food franchise imaginable can be found on RTE 192 alone, sometimes more than once. The prices are usually much less expensive then anything on-site and no reservations are needed.

It depends on what exactly you are looking for. Franchises? Family operated? Chinese, Italian, Indian, American, French, Seafood, Fast Food or Sit-down?

PSUGuy
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
The McDonald's by the AllStar resorts.

Bill From PA

ldhr2005
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
We know about a lot of them. Generally we rent a car and do Cici's, Sonic, Chic-a-fila, lol. All of the places that we do not have up north! We were thinking about trying Joe's Crab Shack and maybe somewhere for breakfast. I will check out Bahama Breezes though!

mesaboy2
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
The McDonald's by the AllStar resorts.

Bill From PA

Is that where they have those things called McNuggets? Mmm, mmm, I hear they're really good. You beat me to it. ;)

But seriously, for burgers we like Fuddrucker's.

aras4007
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
We know about a lot of them. Generally we rent a car and do Cici's, Sonic, Chic-a-fila, lol. All of the places that we do not have up north! We were thinking about trying Joe's Crab Shack and maybe somewhere for breakfast. I will check out Bahama Breezes though!

We LOVE Joe's Crab Shack. We go there every trip as soon as we get off the plane!

Others we have enjoyed are Bahama Breeze, Longhorn Steakhouse, Landry's (loved the first time, ok the second), Orlando Ale House(bar food), Red Lobster and Olive Garden too, but we have them back home, so we tend to stay away from them on vacation.

ldhr2005
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
We just wanted to try something new...away from the park hustle. There are so many options out there, that I just was curious what other's had to say. Though I am glad that you guys enjoy the the Golden Arches- I was hoping for something a little different :lmao:

magicbob
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Giordano's Pizza!

ldhr2005
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Does Giordonio have an actual place to sit and eat? I have heard good things on here about them, but it was always for take out.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I would highly recommend the Bonefish Grill.

Unicorned
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Chick Fil A.

... no just kidding. Margaritaville in City Walk is amazing. http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff367/hwyunicorn/pixels/tumblr_ln1qsmqN1o1qcfn0j.gif

vickalamode
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Chick Fil A.

... no just kidding. Margaritaville in City Walk is amazing. http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff367/hwyunicorn/pixels/tumblr_ln1qsmqN1o1qcfn0j.gif

HEY don't kid about Chick Fil A!! It's my favorite fast food place. We don't have it up north so it's always a treat when I go somewhere where they have it.

If you like Thai food, when I was working at WDW my favorite place was Red Bamboo Thai 6803 S Kirkman Rd
Orlando, FL. It's near Sea World. SO GOOD!

NYDisneyKid
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Rdonnel1
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Lots of good places at city walk...Bubba Gump shrimp, margaritaville, nba city, hard rock.

Margaritaville is my personal favorite. Burgers are amazing and you have to try fried pickles. Soooo good

ScotsMinnie
02-04-2012, 03:43 PM
We love the Outback and Bahama Breeze is lovely too. So many good places to eat!

If am being honest though my fave place to eat is in the Florida Mall in the Food Court there is a place that sells Bourbon Chicken. We don't get that here and it is so tasty! I always make sure we visit that place!!!!!:rotfl:

KellyNY
02-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I see many suggest City Walk, how are prices comparing to Disney?

Mom2aJessieGirl
02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Cheesecake Factory

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Ale House! We love Giordanos pizza and Maggiano's.

mrzrich
02-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Most on the places listed above are chains. If you want to try someplace great that isn't a chain, go to Celebration Town Tavern. We love it there.

http://www.thecelebrationtowntavern.com/

DVC~OKW~96
02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
You want real food? Off the beaten path? A little different? Not chain?

Get out your google map and find your way to Yellow Dog Eats in Gotha, FL (about 20 minutes or so north of WDW area). Be ready to be amazed.

Or, if you want seafood, head to Fish and Chips on 436 in Apopka (just on the Apopka/Altamonte Springs line). Taking I 4 to 436 probably 30 minutes or so from WDW area. EXCELLENT seafood, prepared to order and prepared perfectly. I am beyond fussy about seafood and this tiny little place (that looks like NO WAY! from the road) does it RIGHT.

Ceviche on Church St. in Orlando is very nice. It's a local "chain" so to speak, in the same manner that the Columbia restaurant in Celebration is.

Hamburger Mary's is fun if you have an open mind and truly love burgers. It's downtown Orlando.

Pancho's over on Semoran (east of I 4) has the BEST Cubans in the area, as well as fabulous Cuban pastries and other yummy dishes.

If you like Vietnamese food take I4 east to 50/Colonial east. (You'll exit at the Amelia St. exit and follow that to 50). Take a right and that starts the strip of Vietnamese restaurants. All have good food.

Hope that helps a bit.

tarheelmjfan
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Also in Celebration is Columbia Restaurant. I haven't tried that one, but ours in Tampa is very good. We ate there last on Christmas Day & had an outstanding meal.

I agree with Bonefish Grill, if you don't have one where you live. We think the food is on par with Flying Fish & much cheaper. Again, I haven't eaten at one in Orlando only here, but I'm sure they're similar.

wildelady
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Just got back and can highly recommend Cici's on the 192, pizza, pasta, dessert buffet for about$6, we had vouchers that gave us bogof offer.
Applebees was good at Berry Town Center on the 27, dinner for 5 adults with drinks including pitcher of beer and 2 starters came to about $75.
But finally Fuddruckers was amazing, we went to the one at Crossroads, at the moment they are doing a special meal deal for 2 adults and 2 kids for $25 or a meal deal for $12 a person.

polymerpig
02-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Sweet Tomatoes (at Crossroads) and Steak n' Shake

neffernie
02-04-2012, 06:04 PM
We like the Chevy's at Crossroads. The fish tacos taste just like the ones I had in Mexico. So yummy.:lovestruc

threvester
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
For fast food, we really like Checkers..great spicy curly fries and the Big Buford and Baconzilla burgers are great

tripletmommiesrock
02-04-2012, 06:19 PM
We always eat at Cafe Tu Tu Tango it's a cool little tapas resturant with great food, intresting art, and in house entertainment. Depending on when you go they have artists working in the resturant painting, scupting, bellydancers, etc. It's a fun place we always take people there. The food is amazing with everything from exotic to less adventurous. We order several tapas and share. :love:

Also we enjoy going and walking around Citywalk at Universal. We always eat at Jimmy Buffets. The food is good and the resturant is kitchy! Super fun. :woohoo:

My2CrazyGirls
02-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Get out your google map and find your way to Yellow Dog Eats in Gotha, FL (about 20 minutes or so north of WDW area). Be ready to be amazed.

Or, if you want seafood, head to Fish and Chips on 436 in Apopka (just on the Apopka/Altamonte Springs line). Taking I 4 to 436 probably 30 minutes or so from WDW area. EXCELLENT seafood, prepared to order and prepared perfectly. I am beyond fussy about seafood and this tiny little place (that looks like NO WAY! from the road) does it RIGHT.

Ceviche on Church St. in Orlando is very nice. It's a local "chain" so to speak, in the same manner that the Columbia restaurant in Celebration is.

Hamburger Mary's is fun if you have an open mind and truly love burgers. It's downtown Orlando.

Pancho's over on Semoran (east of I 4) has the BEST Cubans in the area, as well as fabulous Cuban pastries and other yummy dishes.

If you like Vietnamese food take I4 east to 50/Colonial east. (You'll exit at the Amelia St. exit and follow that to 50). Take a right and that starts the strip of Vietnamese restaurants. All have good food.

Hope that helps a bit.

Now that is the kind of post I was waiting for! Thanks DVC OKW 96!

Tiggerlover91
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
My family eats kosher, and even though Disney offers kosher items we ate offsite at a deli called Cohen's. FANTASTIC! A bit on the expensive side being kosher meat is just that...but SO worth it! :thumbsup2

mlnbabies
02-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Miller's Ale House on 192. We loved it!

kaligal
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Margaritaville.

Mom2aJessieGirl
02-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Also in Celebration is Columbia Restaurant. I haven't tried that one, but ours in Tampa is very good. We ate there last on Christmas Day & had an outstanding meal.

Oh wow. I ate at the one on St. Armand's Circle several years ago...so delicious. One of the few meals that I think of fondly many years after the experience. I had no idea that they had one in Celebration! Trying to figure out how to make it there next weekend....

Pixie Princess
02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
We like the Chevy's at Crossroads. The fish tacos taste just like the ones I had in Mexico. So yummy.:lovestruc

I second Chevy's. Yummy! I am convinced that this place is some how related to the now defunct Rio Bravo. Very similar in themeing and menu. I was so happy when I learned about Chevy's because I miss Rio Bravo.

A friend of mine has a timeshare in Orlando, and every year the must do place for them is Texas de Brazil. She and her girls love the place.

OB1
02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
We have 3 places that are on our "Must Do" list. None of these are in our area even though all are chains

Chevy's
Earl of Sandwich at DTD
Tijuana Flats - and this possibly twice

Macca1111
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM

I had to second that. It's freaking amazing! A little far away from WDW, but right by my sister's house, so I went quite a bit...and I really miss their PB&J!

Close by at the Crossroads is a wide variety of things, but I agree that to find not a chain restaurant you have to search a little more. Good luck finding good eats!

TravelGrl
02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I have never been to Texas de Brazil in Orlando, but they just opened one near me, and it's so wonderful. We actually ate there last night. If you do go, bring an appetite.

anne60
02-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweet Tomatoes. I so wish they would open some in the Northeast. We would drive 2 hours if they did!

polymerpig
02-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Tomatoes. I so wish they would open some in the Northeast. We would drive 2 hours if they did!

I totally agree...so many great restaurants creep up from the south, move closer from the west, and then STOP at the NY state line...

MouseEarsForAll
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
We love the Outback and Bahama Breeze is lovely too. So many good places to eat!

If am being honest though my fave place to eat is in the Florida Mall in the Food Court there is a place that sells Bourbon Chicken. We don't get that here and it is so tasty! I always make sure we visit that place!!!!!:rotfl:
Sounds like Cajun Kelly's to me??? Is that right?

mrzrich
02-04-2012, 09:27 PM

If you plan to visit Sweet Tomatoes, or think there is a slight chance you might, be sure to go to their website and join the veg club. They will email you coupons every Thursday. With a coupon, our family of 4 eats for $19.99.

linzbear
02-04-2012, 10:32 PM
We always eat at Cafe Tu Tu Tango it's a cool little tapas resturant with great food, intresting art, and in house entertainment. Depending on when you go they have artists working in the resturant painting, scupting, bellydancers, etc. It's a fun place we always take people there. The food is amazing with everything from exotic to less adventurous. We order several tapas and share. :love:

:thumbsup2

Love Cafe Tu Tu Tango! http://www.cafetututango.com/ It's a little hard to go to now that I have babies though :( Too much stuff for them to touch.

LoriNKY
02-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Hamburger Mary's is actually a chain. There's one in downtown Cincinnati, as well as other major cities.

I really like Mimi's Cafe. I don't know about the Orlando location, but in other cities if they find out it's your first visit they'll give you a free half dozen muffins! They're yummy.

wahoostampingirl
02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Our whole family loves Sweet Tomatoes. We eat there once or twice per trip. Looks like we'll have to try Margaritaville when we are at Universal in Nov.

SuzyQue
02-04-2012, 11:51 PM
I totally agree...so many great restaurants creep up from the south, move closer from the west, and then STOP at the NY state line...

I agree, none here in Michigan either. We love Sweet Tomatoes. :thumbsup2

bama-mom
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Our must-haves off property are:

Flippers Pizza (there are several close to WDW)

Bahama Breeze

Fish Bones on Sandlake Blvd (not to be confused with Bonefish)

Miller's Ale House

In fact, we are getting Free Dining for the first time next month, so all our meals will be at Disney---we will be missing our cheaper, off property restaurants this trip!

Mick@Tink
02-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Does Giordonio have an actual place to sit and eat? I have heard good things on here about them, but it was always for take out.

Yes, you may sit and eat. Here are the locations near WDW:

Lake Buena Vista
12151 S. Apopka Vineland Rd.
(407)239-8900

Kissimmee
7866 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy.
(407)397-0044

wdwnomad
02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
4 Rivers Smokehouse in Winter Garden. Best BBQ I ever had.

MamaJessie
02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
We tried Giordano's last trip and DH, who isn't really a pizza person, loved it!

MartDM
02-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific is great, as is the B-Line Diner at the Peabody.

There are a few local Orlando joints that are good and have their charms but, by and large, you'll find most of the restaurants off property and in the tourist zone are lackluster chain restaurant slop you can get anywhere. Nothing worth driving to find IMO.

Pirate&Princess714
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
The Columbia, Gourmeto's Pizza, Logan's Roadhouse (a MUST), Golden Corral and we love our trips to Waffle House! lol :thumbsup2

sunsetbeachgal
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
We love Logans roadhouse and it is also near a Publix, so convenient to eat and stop in for snacks and groceries.

KateKat23
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Margaritaville in City Walk is the best!! My girls have such a great time there and the food isn't bad either. Can't wait to go back!!

danny1649
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Moving your post to our Dining Board where it's a better fit.:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

disneygrandma
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
We've had Flippers Pizza delivered, and loved it!

TDC Nala
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Actually it's not a fit on the Dining board, as pretty much nothing outside WDW ever gets discussed there, so moving AGAIN to Orlando Hotels and Attractions.

tarheelmjfan
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh wow. I ate at the one on St. Armand's Circle several years ago...so delicious. One of the few meals that I think of fondly many years after the experience. I had no idea that they had one in Celebration! Trying to figure out how to make it there next weekend....

I hope you can fit it in & it's as good as ours. The one here is the oldest restaurant in Florida. You know it has to be good to have lasted that long.

Our whole family loves Sweet Tomatoes. We eat there once or twice per trip. Looks like we'll have to try Margaritaville when we are at Universal in Nov.

It depends on what you're looking for. Margaritaville has pretty good food with a fun atmosphere. If a fun atmosphere is more important than food quality, you can't beat Margaritaville. The food is on par with RFC. There is certainly better food at Universal, if food quality is most important. Each person has their own idea of what they want in a restaurant. As with anywhere, you need to know what's important to you, before choosing a place to eat.

WhateverLolaWants
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
We enjoy Sweet Tomatoes and Chevy's. For dessert, the Dippin Dots store on 192 is fun. I hear a lot of good things about Flippers Pizzeria too.

swilshire
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
HEY don't kid about Chick Fil A!! It's my favorite fast food place.

This is my favorite airport food, except when I fly on Sunday and forget they're not open.

Sheila

Inkmahm
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
4 Rivers Smokehouse in Winter Garden. Best BBQ I ever had.

I agree! We found this place accidently on a trip to a warehouse in the area. Now it is on our "must do" list.

http://4rsmokehouse.com/

ScotsMinnie
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Sounds like Cajun Kelly's to me??? Is that right?

Not sure. i think it is an asian place but not sure what kind. I so wish we had that dish over here. Either that or I would love a recipe for it to make it ourselves. Not exactly sophisticated but so tasty!

BearcatsFan
02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Landry's. We ate there last year after La Nouba. We found the food good with a nice atmosphere. They have a balloon artist who comes around to the tables and makes what you request. It was fun.

trina830
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
We love the breakfast buffet at the Marriott World Center!

BonnieP
02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Bahama Breeze-very good coconut shrimp appetizer, happy hour at the RT192 location.

Town Tavern in Celebration :thumbsup2

scubamouse
02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Do you have favorites that are super close to WDW property? We love Carrabbas and CPK but didn't like Bahama breeze. Looking for a few kid friendly nicer places. We don't want to have to drive too far

nokidz
02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Where's the best place to go for breakfest?? Buffet style or just regular table service??

NJFireman22
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Where's the best place to go for breakfest?? Buffet style or just regular table service??

First Watch is the best breakfast place around. We have been to the one in Winter Garden and by UCF.:thumbsup2 (its table service)

Jason71
02-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Close to WDW, Houlihans on west 192. Breakfast buffet every day.

hill242
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Yeah! Throw in my vote for the Cafe! It's delicious and fun.

famousmockingbird
02-14-2012, 10:42 AM
We've had Flippers Pizza delivered, and loved it!

Another Flippers fan here!!!!! So good!

BadgerGirl84
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Our must-dos are Miller's Ale House (multiple times! Love the zinngers! If you love burgers, wings and typical bar food, they do it right here and at great prices. We just love it there) and The Bonefish Grill. The Bonefish is a chain, but they don't have one where we live. It's owned by the same company that does Outback and it doesn't have a chain-feel at all.

We enjoyed pigging out on cheap appetizers and beers at the Chilis near Universal on our last trip one night.

Iheoma
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
bump

DCLbrideSept2009
02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
smokey bones and giordano's!! we were surprised that we liked the deep dish pizza at giordano's. and even more surprised at how incredibly FILLING it was, so it was easy to feed our group of 5! we got I think a medium deep and a large regular or thin crust and had enough left over for lunch in the villa the next day!

HayGan
02-28-2012, 08:18 AM
We are big on using restaurant.com certificates in Orlando. Our favorites with those are BB Kings (awesome BBQ and fried pickles!) on I-Drive and Giordano's. We also love Cafe Tu Tu Tango.

bluvw
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
On our last trip, we went to the following:
Chili's - very family friendly
On the Border - family friendly
Maggiano's - expensive but the kids loved the massive meatball; the portions are big enough to share
Miss Saigon - ok Vietnamese food - we get better here in Dallas

When we were wandering around, we used the Urban Spoon app to find local places that had high ratings.

JennCa
03-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Love Sweet Tomatoes, Bahama Breeze, Pei Wei and Seasons 52!

Jenn