PDA

View Full Version : Flight Prices December/January

SnowWhite09
02-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Did anyone go to Disneyworld in December/January just gone and if so who did you fly with and what flight prices were you able to get? I'm just trying to get some idea of what it may cost us.

Thanks very much in advance! :goodvibes

Ms. Shuttergirl
02-04-2012, 03:11 AM
I'd be interested to hear about this also. But most especially, I'm interested to know when you bought your tickets for December? Was it March/April or later in the year?

ColinA
02-06-2012, 04:46 AM
March last year we bought Qantas economy for two leaving on December 14th. Sydney Dallas Orlando, return via LA Aulani and home to Sydney.

Via Honolulu was dearer than direct home from LA but breaks the flight up.

Cost $7,300, the prices went up after we bought.

Did not find the prices were much cheaper for the Christmas period on other airlines, using Qantas/AA allowed us to get a business class upgrade on points and the flight times worked well. Loved the new Dallas route.

Waiting now for the AA flights to be released and would expect the flight to be approx 1500 to 2 thousand dearer this year.

If you can go late Nov or early Dec I think the prices are much cheaper.

Sugarglider
02-06-2012, 05:34 AM
In years past I have found the price goes up after the first week of December (on Qantas). Last year I flew in Nov and bought the airfare in May. I have noticed that Qantas have not announced discount fares for US past June at the moment. (I think they recently had something to Sept - but it is gone now)
I have found the SYD-MCO-SYD fare is roughly the same whether flying through DFW or LAX. On my next trip I will probably fly through LAX because the connection timings are better and I can get into MCO 3 or 4 hours earlier than if flying through DFW.

ColinA
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
In years past I have found the price goes up after the first week of December (on Qantas). Last year I flew in Nov and bought the airfare in May. I have noticed that Qantas have not announced discount fares for US past June at the moment. (I think they recently had something to Sept - but it is gone now)
I have found the SYD-MCO-SYD fare is roughly the same whether flying through DFW or LAX. On my next trip I will probably fly through LAX because the connection timings are better and I can get into MCO 3 or 4 hours earlier than if flying through DFW.

I just do not trust the connections through LA to MCO, have seen plenty of people over the years miss the connection or the Qantas earlier flight gets cancelled. Dallas was just so much better to deal with than LA and there are plenty of flights to MCO around that time.

SnowWhite09
02-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks for your advice everyone! :goodvibes

Has anyone flown with VAustralia and then Delta through LAX? How was it?

Sugarglider
02-08-2012, 06:51 AM
I've flown Delta LAX-MCO-LAX and it was the same as flying AA. do you have a specific concern? It was on time, had a good connection to my qantas flight, I was travelling with carry on only and had no probs on board. I liked the cheese snack. the plane was the same. the price, the boarding, the flying time - same same same - for me. there will be someone with a different experience

Ms. Shuttergirl
02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
We've flown with Delta on our last 2 US trips, both internationally and domestically throughout the US. We have been impressed with them each and every time, around 9 flights......except one!

Our flight from NYC to Orlando last year was delayed and then there was a problem with the plane and we had to scramble to get ourselves on another flight. It was a total sh!t fight, and then fight was delayed due to fog (in Sept) which was not their fault of cause.

The other 9 flights were on time, I was impressed with the planes, the service and the food.

Andona
02-09-2012, 03:45 AM
I just do not trust the connections through LA to MCO, have seen plenty of people over the years miss the connection or the Qantas earlier flight gets cancelled. Dallas was just so much better to deal with than LA and there are plenty of flights to MCO around that time.

Very interested to hear this! We havent booked anything yet but, unless V Australia or delta come out with some awesome sale fares, we will probably be flying QANTAS to Miami. I've been tending towards the flight via LAX, mainly because I infinitely prefer the A380 to the 747 BUT if the connections are much more reliable though Dallas then that may swing our choices.

We've never had tight connections in LAX before but this trip we probably would.

Colin, I have read that the 747s on the Dallas route are the newer/refurbished ones. Is that what you had? We had one of the older 747s last year on our trip home from Heathrow and it was such a shocker after the A380 flight we had on the outbound trip. :scared1:

Andona

aussietravellers
02-09-2012, 04:08 AM
BUT if the connections are much more reliable though Dallas then that may swing our choices.

:lmao: Ah DFW is one of the worst airports in the USA for flight delays and cancellations. It's rated in the top 5 worst, actually in one report I read a year ago, the only one worse was O'Hare. But most have it lower in the top 5 worst. I believe it has improved on the last couple of years. LAX doesn't come close to DFW in the ratings.

So LAX would be a more reliable choice.

ColinA
02-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Very interested to hear this! We havent booked anything yet but, unless V Australia or delta come out with some awesome sale fares, we will probably be flying QANTAS to Miami. I've been tending towards the flight via LAX, mainly because I infinitely prefer the A380 to the 747 BUT if the connections are much more reliable though Dallas then that may swing our choices.

We've never had tight connections in LAX before but this trip we probably would.

Colin, I have read that the 747s on the Dallas route are the newer/refurbished ones. Is that what you had? We had one of the older 747s last year on our trip home from Heathrow and it was such a shocker after the A380 flight we had on the outbound trip. :scared1:

Andona

The plane was the newer 747. Personally I prefer the 747 to the A380, I think the A380 is maybe overrated but that is only my opinion, the A380's seem to flex more and for someone who gets motion sickness that is important. At least the 747's make it!

Dallas is a better hub if you are using AA to connect, from memory there were three flights to MCO after the trip from Sydney, LAX there is only the one direct flight and I hate the idea of stopping in the middle.

We actually selected the later flight out of Dallas to MCO, from memory it was 3 hrs and 40 minutes, Originally it was around 3 hours but the flight was changed. Next time we will allow less because customs and immigration was much quicker than LAX. We did not mind the wait as it makes for less stress and time for something to eat as the food on AA is not really digestible if you want to buy it!

This is what suits us, for others it will be different.

Andona
02-09-2012, 05:56 AM
:lmao: Ah DFW is one of the worst airports in the USA for flight delays and cancellations. It's rated in the top 5 worst, actually in one report I read a year ago, the only one worse was O'Hare. But most have it lower in the top 5 worst. I believe it has improved on the last couple of years. LAX doesn't come close to DFW in the ratings.

Aussie, I'd love to read the source for these ratings? :) Could you point me in the right direction?

I've taken a look at Avoid Flight Delays ( http://www.avoiddelays.com/worst-offenders/most-delayed-arrival-airports.asp#) and they rate LAX as worse for delayed arrivals ( AFD does rate DFW as worse for delayed departures but that is less of a problem for us, it wouldn't cause us to miss a connection)

Flightstats.com rates LAX as worse than DFW for "On Time Performance rating" but I think that doesn't differentiate between arrivals and departures. I

What I'd really love to find is some stats about average times taken to get through immigration/customs at each of them - can't find it on Flight stats but it's bound to be out there somewhere :) If I could combine that with the available info about the on-time performance of the specific flights then I'd be very happy! ( I was a statistics major and when it comes to holiday planning I'm borderline OCD - you might have guessed that :rotfl: )

I guess there's no guarantees with any airport, we'll just do what we've done in the past and give ourselves a substantial layover. :)

Colin, thanks for the reminder about additional connections. I'll have to check to see how many additional flights there are going on to Miami from both airports, if one of them has more connections to MIA I'd definitely be taking that into consideration. We've been lucky so far, no considerable delays, but it's bound to happen one of these days!

Andona

ColinA
02-09-2012, 05:56 AM

Dallas does have it's problems with lightning but it is ranked best in customer service for large airports.

Figment2101
02-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Dallas does have it's problems with lightning but it is ranked best in customer service for large airports.

I agree Colin. IMO LAX would have to one of the worst in the world.

aussietravellers
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM

I liked DFW airport and it was the first time I have seen a tornado shelter in an airport, when we saw that we went :scared1: what the :lmao:

But due to it's history we do try to avoid it if we can. Also on one occasion we almost had a massive problem with DFW. We got to LAX off our flight from Australia, to connect with our AA flight from LAX to DFW (which we had checked in for, our luggage had gone off to and we had boarding passes), as I went to the AA desk to check on our DFW to MCO flight (don't know why I did that, my esp must have been in overdrive :rotfl: ). I learned that our DFW to MCO flight was cancelled, there was NO other flight for 5 days from DFW to MCO, not one seat :scared1: There were massive problems with planes nation wide and due to delays and back ups all onward flights were full, thank goodness we were flying first class and had amazing service at LAX from the AA staff trying to get us to MCO. We would have been stuck there. Luckily the AA woman said to us that we can't get on the flight to DFW so we had 3 check in people finding us a route to MCO, ended up on a flight to JFK that night and a JFK to MCO (on Delta as AA was full for days out of JFK). Our grand total travel time from when we left our house to arriving at AKL..... 42 hours :scared1:

So for our next trip I did a little research and I'm not saying we won't fly through there as we would happily, but we prefer not to. If we can get a direct flight, then we will.

Aussie, I'd love to read the source for these ratings? :) Could you point me in the right direction?

Andona it has improved over the years, as when I did my research it was in 2009 and it seemed to be bad that year (for flight delays and cancellations, not for being a bad airport in the form of bad facilities, service etc). But it was still ranked on a worst list last year. It's not a bad airport, it's clean, its got ok shops, the AA lounge is ok. I would happily fly through DFW, but if we can get a direct flight from LAX to MCO rather than stop in DFW then we will, direct flights are always better in my book.

If the direct flight is delayed at LAX, well then you get to MCO later. If your LAX flight to DFW is delayed, then you will miss your onward flight to MCO and have that extra hassle of getting on another flight. Organising another flight can be done of course, but there will be a lot of other people trying to do the same thing, who knows what time you will then get to MCO.

We just prefer as direct a route as possible to help avoid travel dramas, which we have had plenty of over the years :rotfl:

******************/airlines-airport-in-minneapolis/website-compiles-world-s-worst-airports-list
http://www.examiner .com/airlines-airport-in-minneapolis/website-compiles-world-s-worst-airports-list

just copy and paste that and remove the space between the r and the .com
the address above will not appear for some reason.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-29376377

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/DFW-Airport-Makes-Worst-Delay-List-Again-52453352.html

http://airnation.net/2012/01/01/dfw-worst-airport-business-travelers/

ame
02-11-2012, 05:19 AM
We flew VA to LAX DEC/Jan just past and paid $2400 p/adult, tickets bought 10 months out. The prices only went up.

We flew VA to LAX Dec/Jac 09/10 when there was a glut of seats and paid under $1000 each :scared1: We bought those in Sep 09 when the world ecomony wasn't happy and interest rates were going up.

If flying VA, it's worth noting that they now fly into the Delta terminal at LAX so that after clearing customs and collecting your bag, you just recheck it as soon as you walk out. Not sure if there's a way you don't have to clear secuurity again? but we were flying Alaska air so had to walk across the terminals. But Delta is in the same one, so easy peasy.

ColinA
02-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Current prices off the internet for a friend traveling to WDW leaving Sydney on 21st December 2012 and leaving 2nd Jan 2013. Prices are for two adults economy.

Qantas Sydney LA MCO LA Sydney $8,999

Qantas Sydney LA/DFW MCO LA Honolulu Sydney $8,790

V Aust Sydney LA MCO LA Brisbane Sydney $7,655

United Sydney LA MCO LA Sydney $7,487.00

Delta Sydney LA MCO LA Sydney $6,957

ColinA
02-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Not sure if there's a way you don't have to clear secuurity again? but we were flying Alaska air so had to walk across the terminals. But Delta is in the same one, so easy peasy.

Still need to check through security again.

jessiegirl84
02-13-2012, 04:22 AM
We flew from Brisbane on the 7 December 2011, to LA with AirNZ, that ticket was $1900 return. So we just added on the internal flights. So I think from memory it was about $400 one way from LA to Orlando. I remember the internal flights being quite expensive. But my sister used to be a travel agent and said it can be quite pricey during December/January especially flying from Australi.

ColinA
02-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Flying Air NZ return from Sydney to LA on 7th December $2,216

Leaving 21st December $2,677

Air NZ flights go through Auckland both ways. 1 free bag, $115 extra bag

Flying from Brisbane return is approx another $100

Flying Qantas return from Sydney to LA, direct flight on 7th December $2,204 sale fare, upgrade not allowed.

Leaving 21st December $3382 no sale fares, this is Red e-Deal and Flight Upgrade Awards are eligible. Checked bags 2 pieces

Prices seem to have increased this year. Interesting to compare.

OziJo
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
We flew QANTAS to DFW. AA to MCO then back via Honolulu. Leaving Jan 4th. We booked it on multi-city booking through QANTAS website. Cost was $4720. All flights were on time and the schedule was just right

ColinA
02-14-2012, 12:04 AM
We flew QANTAS to DFW. AA to MCO then back via Honolulu. Leaving Jan 4th. We booked it on multi-city booking through QANTAS website. Cost was $4720. All flights were on time and the schedule was just right

How many passengers!

OziJo
02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
That's for each of us. Five adults.

battymum
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
OMG - that Hawaii stopover really bumps up the fares - we paid $1250 rtn Qantas via DFW for each adult in September.

Granted, these were the introductory fares when they announced the DFW route - but.... $4720 :faint:

ColinA
02-16-2012, 10:55 PM
That's for each of us. Five adults.

Goes along with what I said previous, mid December/ Jan prices are much more expensive and no sale fares!

ColinA
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
OMG - that Hawaii stopover really bumps up the fares - we paid $1250 rtn Qantas via DFW for each adult in September.

Granted, these were the introductory fares when they announced the DFW route - but.... $4720 :faint:

The OP asked about December/January prices.

From what I have seen Hawaii does not make much difference in cost. If you see my post earlier it was actually cheaper to go via Honolulu.

battymum
02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes, I realised that was also a factor after I posted.

Looks like I will not be going anywhere in January. :sad1:

ColinA
03-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Last week bought two Qantas economy return tickets Sydney to WDW leaving 14th December and returning on 18th January via Aulani for two nights. Cost just over $8,500.00

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Yikes, are you serious? That is lots of dollars. God I'm starting to feel sick about what our flights are going to cost.

platypus67
03-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Yikes, are you serious? That is lots of dollars. God I'm starting to feel sick about what our flights are going to cost.

If you are flying out of Australia you should be able to get a low season fare as long as you fly by the 9th of Dec. After that the prices go up and stay that way until about the 16th of Jan. I've generally booked my Dec flights by May and managed to get a reasonable price.

Nov/Dec 2010 we paid $1156.00 return BNE/LAX
Last year same time frame $1450.00

I'm hoping to fly out of Brisbane on the 17th of Jan so hoping for something better than a high season fare.

It's just DD and myself this time so I'm happy to wait and see.

aussietravellers
03-18-2012, 05:25 AM
The airfares are coming down :cool1:

Just checked Qantas and for the same days, they are cheaper than VAustralia :eek:

Looking at dates, end of November (30th) with return mid/late December is coming up at $1299 return. So one way is $679 ret is $621

Virgin is $1397 ($631 over and $766 ret)

AIRNZ - still over $2000 ret

ColinA
03-18-2012, 07:00 AM
The airfares are coming down :cool1:

Just checked Qantas and for the same days, they are cheaper than VAustralia :eek:

Looking at dates, end of November (30th) with return mid/late December is coming up at $1299 return. So one way is $679 ret is $621

Virgin is $1397 ($631 over and $766 ret)

AIRNZ - still over $2000 ret

After the 9th the flight Sydney to LA jumps to $1642.00. Go late January or early December and it is much cheaper.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
When I try to put in my multi stop trip Best Flights just groans and says "can't help ya luv" :).

I might have to try adding less legs in and buying one flights separately? Does that often end up alot dearer to do it that way?

We are flying out 9 December for that reason Colin

ColinA
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
When I try to put in my multi stop trip Best Flights just groans and says "can't help ya luv" :).

I might have to try adding less legs in and buying one flights separately? Does that often end up alot dearer to do it that way?

We are flying out 9 December for that reason Colin

Which airlines are you trying to book the multi stop with.

What are the dates and to which airports.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Colin, I've been trying to enter them into BestFlights just to see what airlines were offering what prices. We have quite a few stops.

I've been roughly working on:-

9 Dec Syd - Orlando
20 Dec Orlando - NYC
29 Dec (train) NYC - Boston
2 Jan Boston - Quebec
7 Jan Quebec - Buffalo
9 Jan Buffalo - Washington DC
13 Jan Washington DC - Sydney

Whew, that's a mouthful :rotfl2:

aussietravellers
03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Colin, I've been trying to enter them into BestFlights just to see what airlines were offering what prices. We have quite a few stops.

9 Dec Syd - Orlando
20 Dec Orlando - NYC
2 Jan Boston - Quebec
7 Jan Quebec - Buffalo

I just looked at Qantas for the Syd-MCO, MCO-JFK, IAD-SYD and it's $2109 (didn't look at boston and quebec, quebec buffalo or buffalo washington as they don't have quebec as an option.

ColinA
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM

9 Dec Syd - Orlando
20 Dec Orlando - NYC
2 Jan Boston - Quebec
7 Jan Quebec - Buffalo

Try booking the flights as separate flights. Maybe Sydney to MCO and the return as Washington or LAX to Sydney.

This year we booked on Qantas and then booked the AA separate. It was cheaper than going through Qantas.

I think with Virgin you need to call them for multi stops.

We are in the expensive season as we can't go earlier than the 14th December.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for having a play Colin. I was coming up with similar figures as you mention. I'd really love the flights to not have a 2 at the front :rotfl: but I think it won't happen.

I think you may be right, booking the internals separately might be our best option although I'm thinking that could be a busy time of year for internal flights so who knows what it will cost. Bugger lol.

Bummer you can't leave until the 14th. My daughter finishes school on the 7th and my son finishes on the 12th so it worked out fairly good for us.

ColinA
03-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks for having a play Colin. I was coming up with similar figures as you mention. I'd really love the flights to not have a 2 at the front :rotfl: but I think it won't happen.

I think you may be right, booking the internals separately might be our best option although I'm thinking that could be a busy time of year for internal flights so who knows what it will cost. Bugger lol.

Bummer you can't leave until the 14th. My daughter finishes school on the 7th and my son finishes on the 12th so it worked out fairly good for us.

Self employed is the reason we don't go until the 14th.

We tend to book the flights as soon as we can, have generally not seen the prices drop. It is the peak time of the year for travel, and we like to get the seats as close as possible to the front.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm self employed too. It's expensive for me to take off at this time of year business wise. Costs me thousands in income. But it works for my kids and their schooling and it won't affect my husband's work too badly and I'm mad mad mad for Christmas so I've said to hell with it and we are outta here. Will have to work like a fiend though between August and mid November. Yikes, I feel ill just thinking about it :eek:.

So your experience is that the flight prices don't come down too much at the time of year? When are you planning on booking?

ColinA
03-18-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm self employed too. It's expensive for me to take off at this time of year business wise. Costs me thousands in income. But it works for my kids and their schooling and it won't affect my husband's work too badly and I'm mad mad mad for Christmas so I've said to hell with it and we are outta here. Will have to work like a fiend though between August and mid November. Yikes, I feel ill just thinking about it :eek:.

So your experience is that the flight prices don't come down too much at the time of year? When are you planning on booking?

My DW booked all the flights near the end of February. Our experience is they do not come down and we go every year on similar dates. Any flights are subject to change in prices. If it was me I would not be waiting too long.

All accommodation booked as we are DVC at the 11 month window.

aussietravellers
03-18-2012, 07:10 PM
It's all just a big gamble. Prices can and do go down closer to the time, as they are wanting to fill up planes, but it isn't guaranteed. Early to Mid January, they are always higher. But up to say the first 10 days in December, they can (not always) get quite low close to the time if they are wanting to fill the planes. With schools in other states (other than QLD, where private schools tend to finish in late November) holidays not starting generally until the end of the first week or into the second week of December, the first week of December is still cheap.

We have had fares, that we bought at the beginning of December for 8th December, going over (BNE-LAX ret with virgin) under $400, coming back (23rd Dec) under $500. Return was under $1000. Jan was just too expensive so we came back before Christmas. We were wanting to go to NY to see my mum off on her cruise, but the airfares in January were just ridiculous. Qantas at the same time that December was only about $100 more than VA.

With the $ being so good and more people travelling to the states, then it's possible they may not get too low. $1299 return to LA, I think is pretty good considering a month ago the same journey was about $2500.

If I had worked out our exact dates and plans :rolleyes1 I would have jumped on that $1299.

Ms.Shuttergirl, you will save going over that early, but not so much coming back, coming back you will be in some of the highest fares of the year :headache: Another week or so away and you would get a bargain back (but then spend more money on accomodation etc so you wouldn't really save anything :rotfl: )

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-19-2012, 05:55 AM
It's all just a big gamble. Prices can and do go down closer to the time, as they are wanting to fill up planes, but it isn't guaranteed. Early to Mid January, they are always higher. But up to say the first 10 days in December, they can (not always) get quite low close to the time if they are wanting to fill the planes. With schools in other states (other than QLD, where private schools tend to finish in late November) holidays not starting generally until the end of the first week or into the second week of December, the first week of December is still cheap.

We have had fares, that we bought at the beginning of December for 8th December, going over (BNE-LAX ret with virgin) under $400, coming back (23rd Dec) under $500. Return was under $1000. Jan was just too expensive so we came back before Christmas. We were wanting to go to NY to see my mum off on her cruise, but the airfares in January were just ridiculous. Qantas at the same time that December was only about $100 more than VA.

With the $ being so good and more people travelling to the states, then it's possible they may not get too low. $1299 return to LA, I think is pretty good considering a month ago the same journey was about $2500.

If I had worked out our exact dates and plans :rolleyes1 I would have jumped on that $1299.

Ms.Shuttergirl, you will save going over that early, but not so much coming back, coming back you will be in some of the highest fares of the year :headache: Another week or so away and you would get a bargain back (but then spend more money on accomodation etc so you wouldn't really save anything :rotfl: )

Yeah I know another week away and the flights would be cheaper. It's a shame but we will have already been away for over 4 weeks and with another trip planned for late March 2013 to the UK/France, I don't think my DH can afford to take another week off. The rest of us could make it work though :rotfl2:. Perhaps we could just send him back :thumbsup2.

I wonder whether it is worth our while to buy LAX return flights and book the internals separately? mainly because if we book it all on the one international ticket we won't have luggage issues and my DH loves to shop :scared:. I don't know which way to go with that. Thanks for running the numbers on the flights for me earlier too. It's looking like we'll be looking at well over 2.5k each for all of our flights in total. I'd really love to keep the travel costs to that but we have to get from Canberra to Sydney or Melbourne too. God I find the flights part stressful. The accom part is fun but not the flights :headache:.

miss.potatohead
03-21-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm planning (another) trip (in my head most likely) but hoping that by January '13 I'll have enough cash saved to have a fun time over in Orlando. For early-mid January to early Feb, I'm getting flights around $2800 return with Qantas from Sydney and a bit more from Melbourne. Are these prices relatively decent or should I expect it to come down a bit? From memory there were flights for similar dates this year around the $1500 mark and that's another $1000+ spending money right there!

platypus67
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm planning (another) trip (in my head most likely) but hoping that by January '13 I'll have enough cash saved to have a fun time over in Orlando. For early-mid January to early Feb, I'm getting flights around $2800 return with Qantas from Sydney and a bit more from Melbourne. Are these prices relatively decent or should I expect it to come down a bit? From memory there were flights for similar dates this year around the $1500 mark and that's another $1000+ spending money right there!

I'm at the same place you are. Looking at the same time frame and hoping that the fares will come down.
The fares should be lower from around the 17th of Jan so fingers are crossed for a fare of around 1500.00.
For now I'll just keep planning and hoping.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I agree with Platypus, last year flights for after the 17th Jan - the prices came down.

miss.potatohead
03-21-2012, 11:40 PM
I agree with Platypus, last year flights for after the 17th Jan - the prices came down.

Yeah at the moment, the 17th flights are around $1450 for the leg compared to $1850 the week before. Inconvenient because that's when school goes back and I want my sisters to come with me! Ah well, let's just keep waiting for some magic :goodvibes

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh goodness me. I just got my FC TA to give me a price on our trip and :eek:.

I'm freaking a little. I had gotten my head around that fact that our flights could be around the $2500 mark due to all of the legs of the trip but it her price came back in much higher.

If we want to do it all on the 1 international ticket (for luggage purposes) it was well and truly over 3k, she wouldn't even tell me what it came in at, I think she was :scared1:.

If we do something like Syd-Orlando-NYC there and then Washington-Syd home it comes in around $2200 with the Boston-Quebec-Buffalo-Washington portions coming in around $700ish more. I could shop those internal flights around a bit more myself though, but not really sure how much I would save. This doesn't include the train trip from NYC to Boston which isn't too expensive.

So I am kind of freaking because this brings it in to just under 3k and we won't have international baggage allowances for lots of the internals.

I don't know what to do about the baggage issue because I don't want to have to pay huge excess baggage fees and although I had planned to post a box or two back if need be, the way my DH shops I am a little scared.

$12,000 before we even get started. Yikes :scared1:

Can anyone offer some calming words, words of wisdom, anything????? :)

aussietravellers
03-27-2012, 12:17 AM

I'm freaking a little. I had gotten my head around that fact that our flights could be around the $2500 mark due to all of the legs of the trip but it her price came back in much higher.

If we want to do it all on the 1 international ticket (for luggage purposes) it was well and truly over 3k, she wouldn't even tell me what it came in at, I think she was :scared1:.

If we do something like Syd-Orlando-NYC there and then Washington-Syd home it comes in around $2200 with the Boston-Quebec-Buffalo-Washington portions coming in around $700ish more. I could shop those internal flights around a bit more myself though, but not really sure how much I would save. This doesn't include the train trip from NYC to Boston which isn't too expensive.

So I am kind of freaking because this brings it in to just under 3k and we won't have international baggage allowances for lots of the internals.

I don't know what to do about the baggage issue because I don't want to have to pay huge excess baggage fees and although I had planned to post a box or two back if need be, the way my DH shops I am a little scared.

I wonder if it's so much more expensive because there are not any direct flights from those places to each other (just had a look. To find the all of the airlines that fly in and out of a city, I go to the airports page, check their arrival and departures from the city I'm looking at flying from and see who flies in there, doesn't show those that connect through another city though, that's why I can't see for example any flights too and from Boston to Quebec).

I would do the bookings to and from the US as one, then do all of the internal's separately. There may be some airlines that are cheaper on different routes than others and booking separately means you will get the cheapest fares also the most direct routes. If say you are booking with Delta for you return Aus-US and you are wanting one ticket (for the luggage weights etc), they will have to stick with Delta affilliated airlines, which may not be the cheapest options. Jetblue seems to be a great airline. I'm sure I've read somewhere on these boards that United is good too :rotfl:

Yes so by doing them separately, you will get better deals by not being restricted to one airline and their affiliates :thumbsup2

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Aussietravellers - with what you've said in mind in terms of direct flights into Quebec, etc. I think I need to have a re-look at my itinerary too which is a bummer because I was happy with it.

Perhaps fly out earlier too.

Hmmmm, let's see:-

Fly out Thurs 6 Dec Syd - Orlando
Arrive Orlando 6 Dec
17 Dec fly to Washington
21 Dec fly (or train) to NYC
30 Dec fly to Quebec
4 Jan fly to Buffalo, 2 nights in Niagara Falls
6 Jan fly to Boston
10 Jan fly home

does that seem a bit more streamlined?

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 12:27 AM
and the luggage situation? internal flights with most of the major US airlines, am I looking at only 1 piece of checked luggage per person?

Melbourne5
03-27-2012, 12:28 AM

Miss shutter girl
Do you or any of your party have any airline status with any of the carriers ? If so this may help overcome luggage allowances if you book separately but use an alliance member . Eg: being a Qantas silver,gold, platinum and flying with American on a seperate internal flight booking?

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Miss shutter girl
Do you or any of your party have any airline status with any of the carriers ? If so this may help overcome luggage allowances if you book separately but use an alliance member . Eg: being a Qantas silver,gold, platinum and flying with American on a seperate internal flight booking?

Yes my husband is a Gold Qantas Club member. Are you able to explain to me what advantages that could bring with American Airlines???

platypus67
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
and the luggage situation? internal flights with most of the major US airlines, am I looking at only 1 piece of checked luggage per person?

You can have more than one piece as far as I know, but I believe most now charge for all checked luggage with each piece more expensive.

The exception that I know of is Jet Blue where you get one free piece per person.
We used them in Dec 2010 Orlando to Syracuse and we were quite happy with them.

aussietravellers
03-27-2012, 12:44 AM

It's different with the different airlines. Some include one piece and pay for the second. Some don't even include one, you have to pay per bag.

Aussietravellers - with what you've said in mind in terms of direct flights into Quebec, etc. I think I need to have a re-look at my itinerary too which is a bummer because I was happy with it.

Perhaps fly out earlier too.

Hmmmm, let's see:-

Fly out Thurs 6 Dec Syd - Orlando
Arrive Orlando 6 Dec
17 Dec fly to Washington
21 Dec fly (or train) to NYC
30 Dec fly to Quebec
4 Jan fly to Buffalo, 2 nights in Niagara Falls
6 Jan fly to Boston
10 Jan fly home

does that seem a bit more streamlined?

I haven't travelled to all of those places, so I'm not sure which is the best route, hopefully someone who has travelled in more of those areas can help. I think it's possible that you may have to do a connecting flight somewhere along the way. So it's really just finding which way best suits you guys and the price of the airfares.
Just been having a look. United seem to fly from Newark to Quebec, Delta are cheaper but go through Detroit. But Quebec and Buffalo, you may have to do a connection as I can't seem to see a direct (doesn't mean there isn't one though :rotfl: ). Buffalo to Boston, Jetblue does that route and they are great with prices and also include a checked bag i believe (could be wrong).

I always check the airport arrivals and departures, just to see what airlines they have flying in and out from the different cities, then go to the different airlines website direct to see the best deal they are doing, what their luggage is etc.

Melbourne5
03-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes my husband is a Gold Qantas Club member. Are you able to explain to me what advantages that could bring with American Airlines???

Sure can as I used it to good advantage for our MCO-JFK rtn flight for the family in sept 11. 2 bags each no worries.. If you book an AA flight make sure you put in your husbands qf gold number and you are all on the one booking. He is for this example a oneworld Saphire member. Then the following rules apply ( this is straight from the AA.com site)

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®. On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier apply.

Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member*regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

WAMUMOF4
03-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Have you looked at Southwest you get 2 checked bags for free with them they only have dates till NOV 2nd at the minute but it seems you can get Buffalo to Boston for $90.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 02:03 AM
You can have more than one piece as far as I know, but I believe most now charge for all checked luggage with each piece more expensive.

The exception that I know of is Jet Blue where you get one free piece per person.
We used them in Dec 2010 Orlando to Syracuse and we were quite happy with them.

:eek: Charging for all checked baggage. Yikes.

Will check out Jet Blue, thanks for that.

It's different with the different airlines. Some include one piece and pay for the second. Some don't even include one, you have to pay per bag.

I haven't travelled to all of those places, so I'm not sure which is the best route, hopefully someone who has travelled in more of those areas can help. I think it's possible that you may have to do a connecting flight somewhere along the way. So it's really just finding which way best suits you guys and the price of the airfares.
Just been having a look. United seem to fly from Newark to Quebec, Delta are cheaper but go through Detroit. But Quebec and Buffalo, you may have to do a connection as I can't seem to see a direct (doesn't mean there isn't one though :rotfl: ). Buffalo to Boston, Jetblue does that route and they are great with prices and also include a checked bag i believe (could be wrong).

I always check the airport arrivals and departures, just to see what airlines they have flying in and out from the different cities, then go to the different airlines website direct to see the best deal they are doing, what their luggage is etc.

That's the second Jet Blue recommendation, will have to keep my eye on them for the other legs.

Sure can as I used it to good advantage for our MCO-JFK rtn flight for the family in sept 11. 2 bags each no worries.. If you book an AA flight make sure you put in your husbands qf gold number and you are all on the one booking. He is for this example a oneworld Saphire member. Then the following rules apply ( this is straight from the AA.com site)

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®. On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier apply.

Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member*regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

Thanks so much for sharing this Melbourne5, that is excellent news. I will make sure that DH's QFF number goes onto everything.

Have you looked at Southwest you get 2 checked bags for free with them they only have dates till NOV 2nd at the minute but it seems you can get Buffalo to Boston for $90.

Will check out Southwest also WAMUMOF4, thank you for that. Sounds very reasonable.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Have just spoken again to the TA, asking her to tweak some things backwards and forwards. The itinerary didn't work very well price wise so it is looking like the original plan was the best option financially.

But then the problem was, she couldn't get flights for us all when we wanted, we juggled the dates but were having problem with connecting flights from Dallas to Orlando and then finding one from Orlando to NYC on that same flight deal. We tried 20 million scenarios. Grrrrrr.

The end result was we will still fly out on the 9th Dec but will leave Orlando on 19th Dec for NYC rather than 20th Dec. Now I know to many this wouldn't seem like a big deal but it means 1 less WDW day which makes me kind of sad :sad2:. We were having 11 days WDW but obviously since we won't be arriving there until very late the first night it was really only 10 full days, then on to NYC for 9 days which was obviously a very generous stay. Now we will essentially only have 9 days in WDW (and have to deal with jetlag) and 10 days in NYC. I would've preferred to give up an NYC day than a Disney day but we just couldn't get a flight out on the 20th or 21st that would work.

I know I shouldn't complain but it just doesn't seem like enough time at WDW now. :)

ColinA
03-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Sometimes the stress and cost of the time of trying to get the slightly cheaper prices on some wacky airline is just not worth the effort!

You might not like my solution, leave the kids with the grandmother and you will save a heap of money! :):)

ColinA
03-27-2012, 02:20 AM
But then the problem was, she couldn't get flights for us all when we wanted, we juggled the dates but were having problem with connecting flights from Dallas to Orlando and then finding one from Orlando to NYC on that same flight deal. We tried 20 million scenarios. :)

Were the flights booked out on the dates you wanted.

aussietravellers
03-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Sometimes the stress and cost of the time of trying to get the slightly cheaper prices on some wacky airline is just not worth the effort!

You might not like my solution, leave the kids with the grandmother and you will save a heap of money! :):)

Leaving the kids home for Christmas, can't see that happening :confused3 :)

Have just spoken again to the TA, asking her to tweak some things backwards and forwards. The itinerary didn't work very well price wise so it is looking like the original plan was the best option financially.

But then the problem was, she couldn't get flights for us all when we wanted, we juggled the dates but were having problem with connecting flights from Dallas to Orlando and then finding one from Orlando to NYC on that same flight deal. We tried 20 million scenarios. Grrrrrr.

The end result was we will still fly out on the 9th Dec but will leave Orlando on 19th Dec for NYC rather than 20th Dec. Now I know to many this wouldn't seem like a big deal but it means 1 less WDW day which makes me kind of sad :sad2:. We were having 11 days WDW but obviously since we won't be arriving there until very late the first night it was really only 10 full days, then on to NYC for 9 days which was obviously a very generous stay. Now we will essentially only have 9 days in WDW (and have to deal with jetlag) and 10 days in NYC. I would've preferred to give up an NYC day than a Disney day but we just couldn't get a flight out on the 20th or 21st that would work.

I know I shouldn't complain but it just doesn't seem like enough time at WDW now. :)

Oh I know how you feel, that is such a shame! So annoying when the flights don't want to co-operate! I wonder if something will become available closer to the date :confused3 Many airlines in the US, don't release their flights or make tickets available for purchase this far out. Don't know why :confused3 seems a bit strange to me but they do.

I haven't flown Jet Blue but I did investigate them a lot. I was looking at flying with them for a day trip from NY to Buffalo to Niagara Falls, I like them because they are a peanut free airline and whilst it doesn't normally bother me, in the US, they are so into peanuts and having an airbourne allergy, if we can fly peanut free (to a degree) then we do. And even aside from that Jetblue seems to have a really good name and has great prices :thumbsup2

dabecs
03-27-2012, 03:03 AM
The whole airfares thing feels very unfair to me, paying thousands of dollars to be cramped in a small space for 14 hours eating below par food!

On the other hand you end up in WDW:cool1:

Our flights with a lot less stops was about $2k per person so I was wondering how yours would look - it still shocks the system though to see a 3 at the front:scared1:!!

Maybe on your extra NY day take a trip out to the outlet malls? And then you don't have to when you are in Orlando so that would give you an extra day in the parks?

Good luck, wish I was some help but I found the plane tickets the most intimidating (and boring) part of my planning so far!

Beee
03-27-2012, 03:03 AM
we're paying $8091 for the 3 of us AKL-LAX, LAX-HNL, HNL-AKL. Shame that Air NZ is the only airline that flies direct to and from Hawaii now so no competition at the best of times let alone right before Christmas! It's hawaii that tips the cost over into expensive - almost considered AKL-LAX return and then doing an internal return flight to hawaii but the thought of the extra time in the air is not worth the savings to me.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 05:43 AM

You are right about the stress not being worth the savings.

And no, couldn't leave my babies at home. The highlight of the trip is seeing everything through their eyes, but you are so right, the savings would be amazing :rotfl:.

Were the flights booked out on the dates you wanted.

We couldn't get the Orlando to NYC portion to work on the day I wanted which seems whacked in the head to me.

Leaving the kids home for Christmas, can't see that happening :confused3 :)

Yep, you totally know I couldn't. For our 10 year wedding anniversary years ago, we decided to go to Hobart for 4 days and leave the kids with the grandparents. I lasted 24 hours before I started sooking and wanted to come home :lmao:.

Oh I know how you feel, that is such a shame! So annoying when the flights don't want to co-operate! I wonder if something will become available closer to the date :confused3 Many airlines in the US, don't release their flights or make tickets available for purchase this far out. Don't know why :confused3 seems a bit strange to me but they do.

That's the thing, do I wait and hope something comes out or do I book with AA now so that we can take advantage of the baggage allowance that the lovely Melbourne5 has pointed out that we should be able to take advantage of. Booking something cheaper with Jet Blue closer to the time is good in some ways but I'm not really sure about what the baggage costs are. I need to go and check that out.

I haven't flown Jet Blue but I did investigate them a lot. I was looking at flying with them for a day trip from NY to Buffalo to Niagara Falls, I like them because they are a peanut free airline and whilst it doesn't normally bother me, in the US, they are so into peanuts and having an airbourne allergy, if we can fly peanut free (to a degree) then we do. And even aside from that Jetblue seems to have a really good name and has great prices :thumbsup2

I can see why you would prefer to be with a peanut free airline then. I hadn't noticed that the US was so into peanuts but I'm sure if you have a medical condition that is impacted by it, you notice everything.

The whole airfares thing feels very unfair to me, paying thousands of dollars to be cramped in a small space for 14 hours eating below par food!

On the other hand you end up in WDW:cool1:

Our flights with a lot less stops was about $2k per person so I was wondering how yours would look - it still shocks the system though to see a 3 at the front:scared1:!!

Maybe on your extra NY day take a trip out to the outlet malls? And then you don't have to when you are in Orlando so that would give you an extra day in the parks?

Good luck, wish I was some help but I found the plane tickets the most intimidating (and boring) part of my planning so far!

It's looking like just under $2900 per adult, should be slightly less for DS10, not including transport from NYC to Boston by train. So much money, wow.

This is what I've been trying to think about Dabecs, where can I skimp on other activities to give us maximum WDW time. DH doesn't think we need to do WWoHP this time but since we were there at the end of 2010 DS10 has gotten into it (DD14 was always into it) and I think it would be a shame to miss it now that he will love it even more. We wouldn't need a waterpark day in December though so that could go.

We were there for 11 days last time and same thing, got in really late at night but didn't have jetlag to deal with because we were coming from NYC, it was flight delays that got us in so late.

It won't be the food and wine festival this time for us so that is time we will save.

My DH is the shopper in our family and there is ABSOLUTELY no way he will miss the Outlets. He was smitten. I didn't even go at all but he went twice :rotfl2: And my DD14 especially has a very long wish list.

I wouldn't be worried about 1 less day except for the fact that we have to factor in jetlag. Bugger bugger bugger.

we're paying $8091 for the 3 of us AKL-LAX, LAX-HNL, HNL-AKL. Shame that Air NZ is the only airline that flies direct to and from Hawaii now so no competition at the best of times let alone right before Christmas! It's hawaii that tips the cost over into expensive - almost considered AKL-LAX return and then doing an internal return flight to hawaii but the thought of the extra time in the air is not worth the savings to me.

Hmmmm, well should I be thinking :banana:, rather than :eek:? That does seem alot for 3 with so few legs but it probably is quite a good deal. I think I am just living in a bubble world :)

aussietravellers
03-27-2012, 06:28 AM
I can see why you would prefer to be with a peanut free airline then. I hadn't noticed that the US was so into peanuts but I'm sure if you have a medical condition that is impacted by it, you notice everything.

Yes when you can die from the person beside you, or in the row behind you opening a bag of peanuts (even a small bag) and releasing the peanut protein into the air, an airline that doesn't serve peanuts is a bonus :thumbsup2 :rotfl:. There is also the problem that you get an airline like VAustralia, that will delay a plane by over 20 minutes whilst the captain decides wether he will offload you and your family or not because he doesn't want to take the risk of having someone with a PA on board :scared1: (as I have experienced)

With AA, it's important that you know what you are entitled to (even take a print out) and stand firm. I had an obnoxious AA check in person at Orlando on our flight from MCO to LAX to catch our QF flight home (no problem from JFK to MCO). Who was not aware of baggage limits, connecting to international flights etc. A supervisor assisted her :rotfl:

So long story short, know what you are entitled to and ask for a supervisor if the check in person is not aware of all the entitlements :thumbsup2

It is hard to know what to do. If you are happy with the price, that the TA is quoting you, then go for it I say, then it's all booked and you only have those few internal flights to organise. Or was the TA quoting for all of those too?

battymum
03-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Shuttergirl,
You are travelling on the 9th, is it not at all possible to go a day or so earlier, as that seems to be the day fares increase?

(guess you probably already thought of that one, but hey just sayin)

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Battymum - the fares seem to go up on the 10th, the 9th is actually cheaper than the 8th. The fares from 10th are 1,000-1500 more :eek:.

Crazy stuff.

battymum
03-27-2012, 07:14 AM
I dont know why I keep reading here, the only time we could possibly travel in the next few years is January - there is no way we could pay those prices - looks like Forster for us!!! :rolleyes1

Its crazy isnt it - should be one price all year - first in, best dressed!!

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
I dont know why I keep reading here, the only time we could possibly travel in the next few years is January - there is no way we could pay those prices - looks like Forster for us!!! :rolleyes1

Its crazy isnt it - should be one price all year - first in, best dressed!!

It is kinda crazy. With that said, I don't change my "business prices" dependant on time of year but I totally should. October and November are my busiest times and I wish I could charge lots more. I have in the past charged a set fee for the last 2 weeks of November, to make it worth my while but otherwise it's the same as the rest of the year.

It's human nature to want to charge more for the more in demand times. I don't mind that, but I don't want to see a 3 at the front :rotfl2::rotfl2:.

Actually, if I'm honest, I hate seeing a 2 at the front :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Have found better suiting flights and prices online with Qantas tonight so have forwarded to my FC TA and if she can match or better and get us on those flights will go with her.

I haven't booked international flights online before, have always gone with my TA. Is there anything I should know beforehand in case it comes to that????

Melbourne5
03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Ms shutter girl

If you do book online make sure you take into account credit card surcharges ( I think Qantas will sting you $30 a person) vs what your agent might charge ( some will charge the $30 per person plus plus plus- some may not)

I have booked our last 4 overseas trips direct ( 3 with Qantas , 1 with air Vanuatu ) and never looked back from ditching the agents who always knew less than me :cool1:

If you do go Qantas, you may even be in the upgrade bingo game as your DH is a gold flyer!:dance3: it worked for me 2 from 3 years to the USA with Qantas.

DisneyGirlInOz
03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Have found better suiting flights and prices online with Qantas tonight so have forwarded to my FC TA and if she can match or better and get us on those flights will go with her.

I haven't booked international flights online before, have always gone with my TA. Is there anything I should know beforehand in case it comes to that????

We booked our 7 week trip to the US last year all online with Qantas (With the exception of 2 internal flights) and everything went smoothly. It may sound surprising but if we called with questions they were very helpful and when we had to cut the trip short by 4 days and change flights, they were very helpful.

I know it sounds shocking that Qantas would be helpful but all went well. We had no problems with AA on the internal flights (booked on the same international ticket with Qantas). You will get an email with flight details etc. :)

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Ms shutter girl

If you do book online make sure you take into account credit card surcharges ( I think Qantas will sting you $30 a person) vs what your agent might charge ( some will charge the $30 per person plus plus plus- some may not)

I have booked our last 4 overseas trips direct ( 3 with Qantas , 1 with air Vanuatu ) and never looked back from ditching the agents who always knew less than me :cool1:

If you do go Qantas, you may even be in the upgrade bingo game as your DH is a gold flyer!:dance3: it worked for me 2 from 3 years to the USA with Qantas.

My TA charges 1.9% for any credit card purchases.

Good to know that you have booked online and it's been fine. And it would be a total dream if there was any kind of upgrade. Can you still be upgraded if you book through a TA I wonder? If an upgrade is offered, do they upgrade you when you check in on the day or do they email you prior? I won't get my hopes up but it would be a lovely bonus.

Next question, which is credit card related. We only have a $7500 limit on our credit card. Are we able to load it up with additional funds over the limit so we can purchase $8.5k's worth of flights on it or do I have a major problem on my hands? We haven't needed more credit than that as a rule and always pay it off to zero each week so haven't thought we would need a higher limit.

We booked our 7 week trip to the US last year all online with Qantas (With the exception of 2 internal flights) and everything went smoothly. It may sound surprising but if we called with questions they were very helpful and when we had to cut the trip short by 4 days and change flights, they were very helpful.

I know it sounds shocking that Qantas would be helpful but all went well. We had no problems with AA on the internal flights (booked on the same international ticket with Qantas). You will get an email with flight details etc. :)

That is very reassuring, if need to do it then I will feel more confident now. Good to hear the staff were helpful.

Melbourne5
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
My TA charges 1.9% for any credit card purchases.

Good to know that you have booked online and it's been fine. And it would be a total dream if there was any kind of upgrade. Can you still be upgraded if you book through a TA I wonder? If an upgrade is offered, do they upgrade you when you check in on the day or do they email you prior? I won't get my hopes up but it would be a lovely bonus.

Next question, which is credit card related. We only have a $7500 limit on our credit card. Are we able to load it up with additional funds over the limit so we can purchase $8.5k's worth of flights on it or do I have a major problem on my hands? We haven't needed more credit than that as a rule and always pay it off to zero each week so haven't thought we would need a higher limit.

That is very reassuring, if need to do it then I will feel more confident now. Good to hear the staff were helpful.

Looks like the credit card fee would Be about the same ie: ta would be $160 on 1.9%, Qantas $30 per person.

Your best chance for an upgrade would be at the checkin or the gate. There is a bit of science that goes with the process. Airlines do overbook and if for example economy is full it will start going through its list of elite flyers (at Qantas this would be chairmans lounge, plat,gold,silver, bronze) . Upgrades may be into premium economy or business. Often at the gate upgrades occur because someone has asked for a bassinet seat, families wanting to sit together at haven't been etc. I have two favorite methods when with the family. They at;
1. Ensure everyone is enrolled as a Qantas freq flyer. It's free if you go to woolworths/ Safeway and join everyday rewards and in turn join the qff program. Yes even the kids. In turn the indirect benefit is that if Qantas are looking for upgrades they will take loyal customers before unknowns! Second our 5 combined points for the last trip will pay for our flights from Melbourne to Newcastle at Xmas !
2. Try and allocate yourself into bassinet rows of the economy section. ( even if you don't have a baby). If someone needs it they may move you. I did this 3 yrs running and twice we got upgraded. I did go for a wander on Both our upgrades and look to see who got our old seats and , you guessed it, they were families with infants. Remember it's easier to move you than infants as there are only so many bassinet seats. As your dh is gold you should be able to preselect your seats after purchase.

With your credit card limit my suggestion would be call your bankmetc explain , ask for a temporary increase and state exactly who it's for and when it's going to happen etc. you may get lucky. Normally the banks fall over themselves to giv you more but times are tight at present so maybe not!

ColinA
03-28-2012, 02:30 AM
It is kinda crazy. With that said, I don't change my "business prices" dependant on time of year but I totally should. October and November are my busiest times and I wish I could charge lots more. I have in the past charged a set fee for the last 2 weeks of November, to make it worth my while but otherwise it's the same as the rest of the year.

It's human nature to want to charge more for the more in demand times. I don't mind that, but I don't want to see a 3 at the front :rotfl2::rotfl2:.

Actually, if I'm honest, I hate seeing a 2 at the front :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I would be happy if our ticket cost had a 3 in front!

We always book our tickets online, do not like the idea of a travel agent taking over our booking!

Beee
03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Hmmmm, well should I be thinking :banana:, rather than :eek:? That does seem alot for 3 with so few legs but it probably is quite a good deal. I think I am just living in a bubble world :)

yeah i was pretty horrified, out of interest I plugged in my ideal next trip AKL-LAX, LAX-MCO, MCO-DCA, NY-LAX, LAX-AKL for July dates and I think the total was only $100 more than the LA/Hawaii trip :confused3

I have never booked through a travel agent - admittedly previously its just been domestic trips and to Aus with domestic connections at that end. But we're booking this trip online directly with AirNZ and don't see it as being a problem - have always found both AirNZ and Qantas very helpful when I've had to call. Re both the credit card charges and the credit card limit - with AirNZ you can pay for the trip with internet banking to both avoid the CC charges and any worries about limits, maybe check whether you can do the same for Qantas. My mum is paying for ours and we're paying her back in a few months in case prices go up between now and then bless her. We're sending DD12 to Noumea for a school exchange in July that we committed to before finding out about Hawaii so it will be a tight couple of months while we pay for both that and flights/deposits etc :eek:

aussietravellers
03-28-2012, 04:20 AM
OK, maybe Jetblue isn't such a good idea afterall :scared1::scared1::scared1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejYsGudfawQ

becpee
03-28-2012, 05:23 AM

Scary huh :eek:

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Looks like the credit card fee would Be about the same ie: ta would be $160 on 1.9%, Qantas $30 per person.

Your best chance for an upgrade would be at the checkin or the gate. There is a bit of science that goes with the process. Airlines do overbook and if for example economy is full it will start going through its list of elite flyers (at Qantas this would be chairmans lounge, plat,gold,silver, bronze) . Upgrades may be into premium economy or business. Often at the gate upgrades occur because someone has asked for a bassinet seat, families wanting to sit together at haven't been etc. I have two favorite methods when with the family. They at;
1. Ensure everyone is enrolled as a Qantas freq flyer. It's free if you go to woolworths/ Safeway and join everyday rewards and in turn join the qff program. Yes even the kids. In turn the indirect benefit is that if Qantas are looking for upgrades they will take loyal customers before unknowns! Second our 5 combined points for the last trip will pay for our flights from Melbourne to Newcastle at Xmas !
2. Try and allocate yourself into bassinet rows of the economy section. ( even if you don't have a baby). If someone needs it they may move you. I did this 3 yrs running and twice we got upgraded. I did go for a wander on Both our upgrades and look to see who got our old seats and , you guessed it, they were families with infants. Remember it's easier to move you than infants as there are only so many bassinet seats. As your dh is gold you should be able to preselect your seats after purchase.

With your credit card limit my suggestion would be call your bankmetc explain , ask for a temporary increase and state exactly who it's for and when it's going to happen etc. you may get lucky. Normally the banks fall over themselves to giv you more but times are tight at present so maybe not!

Thanks for all of those wonderful tips for possible upgrades. With the bassinet aisle, does that go across the whole plane? It would kind of be a bummer if they didn't swap you out of them and you had babies on either side of you crying the whole way. I work with babies for a living, I don't want to be with them on a plane :lmao:.

The credit card thing - rang up, god I hate ringing banks. So frustrating. I'm the secondary card holder so couldn't do anything and my DH would rather poke his eyeballs out than call a bank. Sigh.

I would be happy if our ticket cost had a 3 in front!

We always book our tickets online, do not like the idea of a travel agent taking over our booking!

I think I may give online booking a try from now on.

yeah i was pretty horrified, out of interest I plugged in my ideal next trip AKL-LAX, LAX-MCO, MCO-DCA, NY-LAX, LAX-AKL for July dates and I think the total was only $100 more than the LA/Hawaii trip :confused3

I have never booked through a travel agent - admittedly previously its just been domestic trips and to Aus with domestic connections at that end. But we're booking this trip online directly with AirNZ and don't see it as being a problem - have always found both AirNZ and Qantas very helpful when I've had to call. Re both the credit card charges and the credit card limit - with AirNZ you can pay for the trip with internet banking to both avoid the CC charges and any worries about limits, maybe check whether you can do the same for Qantas. My mum is paying for ours and we're paying her back in a few months in case prices go up between now and then bless her. We're sending DD12 to Noumea for a school exchange in July that we committed to before finding out about Hawaii so it will be a tight couple of months while we pay for both that and flights/deposits etc :eek:

Good to know that you have had great success with online booking also.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
As of yesterday afternoon we now have our international flights purchased and one of the internal legs. :thumbsup2.

The TA came to the party and got us on the flights we wanted. So for now:-

9 Dec - Syd-Dallas-Orlando
20 Dec - Orlando-NYC

13 Jan - Washington-Dallas-Sydney

The flights cost $8420.00 for 4 with Qantas, plus insurance on top.

After a very frustrating conversation with ANZ on the phone, I went into the branch and asked them if I would be able to do a transaction over my limit if I had the credit loaded with enough credit to cover the whole transaction. The teller said, of course. Simple as that.

I decided that if it wouldn't go through in 1 transaction at the TA's, then I would do it across 2 transactions which should get me over the issues of the credit limit since I had put 5k over the limit into the card.

Guess what - the transaction went through as 1, no problems at all.

The cost of the 1.9% probably cancelled out the value of the FF points gained but I liked the idea of paying on the credit card for a paper trail. I hate paying cash for anything!!!!!

So :cool1:, big flights booked. Now just to book the internal stuff and Canberra Sydney-Sydney Canberra. Might use FF points for the domestic flights and will spend some time doing a bit of research for the internal US stuff.

It seems that I can't find any direct flights into Quebec. It looks like we will have to fly through Toronto which is a pain in the butt but I'm having a rethink about whether it would be cheaper/easier to do:-

NYC-Toronto-Quebec-Toronto-Niagara Falls-Buffalo-Boston-Washington-home

rather than what I had been thinking:-
NYC-Boston-Toronto-Quebec-Toronto-Niagara-Falls-Buffalo-Washington-home

If I need to fly through Toronto to get to Quebec, I might be better to buy a one way flight to Toronto and then a return flight to Quebec and back to get down to Niagara Falls. I can't seem to find anything from Quebec to Buffalo direct. I'm sure there must be so I'll keep looking.

BAGGAGE COSTS - I can't believe how much the baggage costs are on all of the airlines now. Most are $25 for first bag, $35 for second bag. With the amount of legs we are doing, this is some serious dollars.

I'm not sure whether I feel happy and relieved the flights are booked or whether it has just added more stress to my life.

:confused3

battymum
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry cant help with the itinerary, but :thumbsup2 on getting the international flights booked!!!

You have got me thinking about my next ideal trip, would love to go to NYC again and take a cruise from there up to theCanada and New England coast, including Boston and Quebec - and maybe a few days at DLR on the way home, I dont know how to fit Niagara into this scenario but would love to go there as well. Maybe 2014

I was going to pipe up and say that it is more secure to pay with CC -

As for baggage, you should try and limit it to one checkin per person, as mentioned before you can take quite a large bag as carryon - besides the $$, its going to be exhausting getting all that luggage through all those airports.

battymum
03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Oh, one more thing, did you buy the Qantas insurance, I found that to be ridiculously expensive - there are much cheaper options out there. Even your credit card probably has insurance cover included.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Sorry cant help with the itinerary, but :thumbsup2 on getting the international flights booked!!!

You have got me thinking about my next ideal trip, would love to go to NYC again and take a cruise from there up to theCanada and New England coast, including Boston and Quebec - and maybe a few days at DLR on the way home, I dont know how to fit Niagara into this scenario but would love to go there as well. Maybe 2014

I was going to pipe up and say that it is more secure to pay with CC -

As for baggage, you should try and limit it to one checkin per person, as mentioned before you can take quite a large bag as carryon - besides the $$, its going to be exhausting getting all that luggage through all those airports.

I think your cruise idea sounds absolutely wonderful and you would avoid the luggage issues :rotfl:.

The problem with the luggage for our trip this time is we are going to need more bulky winter clothing for the trip. All taking up more room in the cases. We will likely fly out with 3 cases, with 2 rolling duffels and another case empty inside of the packed 3 cases. And we will then expand it as my DH shops :rolleyes1...:rotfl2:.

He will probably shop heaps in Orlando so we might post some stuff back before we head to NYC. The next big shopping spot would be NYC, could perhaps send some stuff home from there too if we needed. It may actually be easier and cheaper to post some stuff back rather than having to lug more cases around.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Oh, one more thing, did you buy the Qantas insurance, I found that to be ridiculously expensive - there are much cheaper options out there. Even your credit card probably has insurance cover included.

No we got the Covermore cover through the TA. She couldn't do much in the way of discounts off the flights from what I found online, only just under the online price but she discounted the insurance and we got our $20 vouchers for finding the cheaper online price and she was happy to apply that straight to the insurance so that worked out great.

battymum
03-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Yay, for FC vouchers!!!

I have spent the last couple of days researching cruises - they only go during a short window in September/October - weather can be iffy,and probably a bit boring for the teens, -I am thinking they wont be coming :sad2:

I just want to eat fresh Maine Lobster!!!

Melbourne5
03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
As of yesterday afternoon we now have our international flights purchased and one of the internal legs. :thumbsup2.

The TA came to the party and got us on the flights we wanted. So for now:-

9 Dec - Syd-Dallas-Orlando
20 Dec - Orlando-NYC

13 Jan - Washington-Dallas-Sydney

The flights cost $8420.00 for 4 with Qantas, plus insurance on top.

After a very frustrating conversation with ANZ on the phone, I went into the branch and asked them if I would be able to do a transaction over my limit if I had the credit loaded with enough credit to cover the whole transaction. The teller said, of course. Simple as that.

I decided that if it wouldn't go through in 1 transaction at the TA's, then I would do it across 2 transactions which should get me over the issues of the credit limit since I had put 5k over the limit into the card.

Guess what - the transaction went through as 1, no problems at all.

The cost of the 1.9% probably cancelled out the value of the FF points gained but I liked the idea of paying on the credit card for a paper trail. I hate paying cash for anything!!!!!

So :cool1:, big flights booked. Now just to book the internal stuff and Canberra Sydney-Sydney Canberra. Might use FF points for the domestic flights and will spend some time doing a bit of research for the internal US stuff.

It seems that I can't find any direct flights into Quebec. It looks like we will have to fly through Toronto which is a pain in the butt but I'm having a rethink about whether it would be cheaper/easier to do:-

NYC-Toronto-Quebec-Toronto-Niagara Falls-Buffalo-Boston-Washington-home

rather than what I had been thinking:-
NYC-Boston-Toronto-Quebec-Toronto-Niagara-Falls-Buffalo-Washington-home

If I need to fly through Toronto to get to Quebec, I might be better to buy a one way flight to Toronto and then a return flight to Quebec and back to get down to Niagara Falls. I can't seem to find anything from Quebec to Buffalo direct. I'm sure there must be so I'll keep looking.

BAGGAGE COSTS - I can't believe how much the baggage costs are on all of the airlines now. Most are $25 for first bag, $35 for second bag. With the amount of legs we are doing, this is some serious dollars.

I'm not sure whether I feel happy and relieved the flights are booked or whether it has just added more stress to my life.

It's a big step forward and a big one to have locked away. Congrats:banana:

Kangarucci
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Hope that you got a decent deal with the travel insurance as TAs receive a 50% commission. :scared1:

Andona
03-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Congratulations on getting your "big" flights booked! :cool1:

Just a suggestion for your packing, I found that those roll-up compression bags were a great space saver for our cold weather trips. I put our heavyweight jackets and things like gloves, scarves etc in them for the warmer weather sectors and we just wore or carried them in the chilly places.

I'm really looking forward to our next trip as its the first time in years that we only have to pack warm weather gear. :)

Andona

alicia1506
03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
wow ms shuttergirl -- i can't believe you've got your international flights locked away so early -- yay for you!!

i'm keeping an eye out for mine...we're only doing bne - lax there, but we have to fly lax - syd/mel - bne on the way back as apparently there are no direct flights for the day we want to come back...

we're having difficulty with our internal flights.. we were going to book through delta for our lax - mco leg, then with jetblue for our mco-lax leg (we ended up cutting out our chicago trip).

now with the jetblue fiasco :scared1: they are off my list, and i just saw the delta prices for luggage :scared1::scared1::scared1: so i am now thinking of flying southwest and their first 2 bags fly free -- their flights aren't direct though, so it would involve stopovers.

last time we used southwest, we managed to get direct flights which was great but i don't know how we'll be with stopping over & changing planes. the last thing i want is for our luggage to go missing... :sick::sick:

delta have direct flights for approx $100 more, plus the $60 for the 2 bags each, means an extra $220 over what we could pay for the indirect southwest route....

i think i need to do more research to see if i can do maybe a southwest flight direct mco - las, then las - lax as direct flights for less than the delta direct flight...

the only good thing about still being on bed rest -- extra time to work through these scenarios :woohoo:

WAMUMOF4
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
we're having difficulty with our internal flights.. we were going to book through delta for our lax - mco leg, then with jetblue for our mco-lax leg (we ended up cutting out our chicago trip).

now with the jetblue fiasco :scared1: they are off my list, and i just saw the delta prices for luggage :scared1::scared1::scared1: so i am now thinking of flying southwest and their first 2 bags fly free -- their flights aren't direct though, so it would involve stopovers.

last time we used southwest, we managed to get direct flights which was great but i don't know how we'll be with stopping over & changing planes. the last thing i want is for our luggage to go missing... :sick::sick:

delta have direct flights for approx $100 more, plus the $60 for the 2 bags each, means an extra $220 over what we could pay for the indirect southwest route....

i think i need to do more research to see if i can do maybe a southwest flight direct mco - las, then las - lax as direct flights for less than the delta direct flight...

the only good thing about still being on bed rest -- extra time to work through these scenarios :woohoo:

:hug: I hope your starting to feel better:hug: With Southwest i was worried about the same thing with luggage so we decided on the flights that say no plane change then hopefully our luggage will not get of and neither do you so you dont have to reboard.

:dance3::dance3: Congratulations on having your flights booked :dance3:

aussietravellers
03-29-2012, 04:51 AM
No we got the Covermore cover through the TA. She couldn't do much in the way of discounts off the flights from what I found online, only just under the online price but she discounted the insurance and we got our $20 vouchers for finding the cheaper online price and she was happy to apply that straight to the insurance so that worked out great.

:banana: Congratulations on getting your flights done! That's exciting!

Does your credit card have travel insurance? With my credit card I have travel insurance when I have booked a certain amount of the trip with that cc.

wow ms shuttergirl -- i can't believe you've got your international flights locked away so early -- yay for you!!

i'm keeping an eye out for mine...we're only doing bne - lax there, but we have to fly lax - syd/mel - bne on the way back as apparently there are no direct flights for the day we want to come back...

How are you feeling Alicia? I've been wondering how you are doing :goodvibes

I wouldn't be too worried about Jetblue to be honest. If it's cheaper, includes luggage i would still fly with them. What happened with them could happen with any airline and really it sounds like the co pilot did an amazing job (and the off duty pilot on board) with handling the situation. Really any airline could have the same problem. I'd be more worried about an airline having plane issues due to maintenance.

ColinA
03-29-2012, 04:59 AM

Good, you have the easy flights sorted, now for the internal flights and where to stay.

We get our travel insurance direct through QBE. Credit card travel insurance really covers very little.

In the past we have applied for the flight upgrades to PE or Business 3 months to the minute of the flight time, this year the Qantas site accepted the upgrade request after we made the booking. If you have the points I would not be leaving the upgrade request until you get to the airport.

Will you pay the extra $20 per person per sector for seat allocation on Qantas.

aussietravellers
03-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Credit card travel insurance really covers very little.

Your credit card travel insurance may cover very little! Mine was fine and my credit card travel insurance actually covered a condition that QBE did not on our last trip! and yes I have had cover from QBE and MBF (and a number of others over the years).

It's actually a great back up to have and many don't realise they have it!

Figment2101
03-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Your credit card travel insurance may cover very little! Mine was fine and my credit card travel insurance actually covered a condition that QBE did not on our last trip! and yes I have had cover from QBE and MBF (and a number of others over the years).

It's actually a great back up to have and many don't realise they have it!

Whatever!

aussietravellers
03-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Whatever!

There's really no need to be rude :goodvibes

I actually asked Ms. Shuttergirl a question, Colin then answered, with a reply that was aimed at my question to Ms.Shuttergirl, with information that was correct for him, but not correct for everybody. I was pointing out that it may be his experience, but that is not the only experience out there, as I had a different experience. :goodvibes

We all have a lot of information on this board, we have all travelled to many different places around the world and have different experiences, with lots of different services and we love to share our information with others and also get lots of different incredible and valuable information to help with our travel plans. We can then work out which information and services best suit us and our families specific needs and wants. No personal experience is wrong and nobody should be made to feel that they and their experience is not valuable.

I myself really value all of the members on this board and really value and appreciate the information that they share. :goodvibes

ColinA
03-29-2012, 06:29 AM
There's really no need to be rude :goodvibes

I actually asked Ms. Shuttergirl a question, Colin then answered, with a reply that was aimed at my question to Ms.Shuttergirl, with information that was correct for him, but not correct for everybody. I was pointing out that it may be his experience, but that is not the only experience out there, as I had a different experience. :goodvibes

We all have a lot of information on this board, we have all travelled to many different places around the world and have different experiences, with lots of different services and we love to share our information with others and also get lots of different incredible and valuable information to help with our travel plans. We can then work out which information and services best suit us and our families specific needs and wants. No personal experience is wrong and nobody should be made to feel that they and their experience is not valuable.

I myself really value all of the members on this board and really value and appreciate the information that they share. :goodvibes

Nothing rude that I see!

aussietravellers
03-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Nothing rude that I see!

Are you two married or something :rotfl2:

The comment by Figment2101 was unnecessary Colin :goodvibes

"Whatever" Is not something that I would just butt in and say to someone, who was replying to someone else's comment, in a conversation that I wasn't even involved in. It was not a constructive reply, it was an unnecessary reply.
I have not said or done anything to Figment2101 that would warranted a "whatever". I was simply adding my experience to your experience.

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Whatever!

Figment - What a very strange response. I definitely don't think that was necessary or relevant to this particular conversation.

Aussietravellers - I remember your story with your condition and the credit card which is another reason why I thought it was good to use my credit card for the flights purchase. It's always stayed in the back of my mind. Thanks for adding your experience. I really appreciated it and I know the majority of the regular aussie disboarders value your vast experience and generosity too.

aussietravellers
03-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Figment - What a very strange response. I definitely don't think that was necessary or relevant to this particular conversation.

Aussietravellers - I remember your story with your condition and the credit card which is another reason why I thought it was good to use my credit card for the flights purchase. It's always stayed in the back of my mind. Thanks for adding your experience. I really appreciated it and I know the majority of the regular aussie disboarders value your vast experience and generosity too.

Thanks Ms.Shuttergirl :hug:

Yes, I actually wouldn't have been able to travel that trip if I didn't have my cc insurance :eek: We would have had to cancel :scared1: As the QBE insurance I had didn't cover my condition and i couldn't risk travelling without it. My cc insurance actually had unlimited emergency medical, unlimited hospitalisation cover (amongst other things). Can't get higher than that. And it's not necessarily something that would suit everybody or you would rely completely on (although many do as the insurance on mine is provided by a major Australian insurance agency). But it's good just to know that it's there too, an added bonus. If someones cc does have it, they can check the policy and see what's covered on theirs (if someones cc has it, they don't have to pay any extra for it, they have it wether they want it or not, so it doesn't hurt to see what's covered) and decide if it's enough for their family or not :thumbsup2.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of the flights. I'll get ours booked... sometime before we leave in December :rotfl:. Knowing me, we will leave the 2nd and I'll do the flights on the 30th Nov :rotfl:

shushh
03-29-2012, 07:59 AM
aussietravellers, I think colinA was trying to say that there was nothing rude in what you said rather than what Figment 2101 said?!

Anyway...Ms Shuttergirl congrats on booking the flights!

aussietravellers
03-29-2012, 08:33 AM
aussietravellers, I think colinA was trying to say that there was nothing rude in what you said rather than what Figment 2101 said?!

Unfortunately I think he was with Figment2101, but that's ok :goodvibes
I'm sure they are husband/wife or partners :thumbsup2. Am I right ColinA and Figment2101? :rotfl:
Anyway, It's all good :goodvibes We're all here to spread the :love:

PS, as you can tell, I really do love using all the Smilies (emoticons) :rotfl2:

DisneyGirlInOz
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM

Just wanted to say how impressed with Covermore I was on our last trip. I got really sick overseas :scared:, having to change flights amongst everything else and when we got home I just sent all the paperwork to them and they paid what we were out of pocket very fast.

Agree with aussietravellers. It's always good to have cc insurance as well. As the old saying goes, if you can't afford travel insurance you can't afford to travel ;)

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Yay, for FC vouchers!!!

I have spent the last couple of days researching cruises - they only go during a short window in September/October - weather can be iffy,and probably a bit boring for the teens, -I am thinking they wont be coming

I just want to eat fresh Maine Lobster!!!

Oooooh Maine lobster and a leisurely cruise - sounds pretty fine to me.

It's a big step forward and a big one to have locked away. Congrats

Thanks Melbourne5 - now just to organise the rest of the internals.

Congratulations on getting your "big" flights booked! :cool1:

Just a suggestion for your packing, I found that those roll-up compression bags were a great space saver for our cold weather trips. I put our heavyweight jackets and things like gloves, scarves etc in them for the warmer weather sectors and we just wore or carried them in the chilly places.

I'm really looking forward to our next trip as its the first time in years that we only have to pack warm weather gear. :)

Andona

That's a good tip re the roll-up compression bags. I know we won't need the heavy duty jackets for WDW, not sure about the rest of the places though. I think they will be a necessity for then. Great idea to put all the gloves, scarves etc in there too. I'm going to look online for where to purchase some. Thanks.

Thanks Alicia, yep we probably got in too early but I couldn't relax until the big flights were locked in.

Sounds like you have a few scenarios to work through with your flights. I hate non direct flights so I'd be looking at paying more for that but the luggage costs are a killer so I can see why you are torn.

On a personal note - how are you feeling?

:hug: I hope your starting to feel better:hug: With Southwest i was worried about the same thing with luggage so we decided on the flights that say no plane change then hopefully our luggage will not get of and neither do you so you dont have to reboard.

:dance3::dance3: Congratulations on having your flights booked :dance3:

That's a great point about minimising plane changes to minimise opportunities for luggage to get lost. This is totally feeding into my crazy hysteria you know that right :rotfl:.

:banana: Congratulations on getting your flights done! That's exciting!

I wouldn't be too worried about Jetblue to be honest. If it's cheaper, includes luggage i would still fly with them. What happened with them could happen with any airline and really it sounds like the co pilot did an amazing job (and the off duty pilot on board) with handling the situation. Really any airline could have the same problem. I'd be more worried about an airline having plane issues due to maintenance.

Thanks Aussietravellers. I agree about Jetblue, it does sound like the copilot was amazing!!!!

Good, you have the easy flights sorted, now for the internal flights and where to stay.

We get our travel insurance direct through QBE. Credit card travel insurance really covers very little.

In the past we have applied for the flight upgrades to PE or Business 3 months to the minute of the flight time, this year the Qantas site accepted the upgrade request after we made the booking. If you have the points I would not be leaving the upgrade request until you get to the airport.

Will you pay the extra $20 per person per sector for seat allocation on Qantas.

Next trip I will definitely get pricing from QBE for travel insurance also. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks Ms.Shuttergirl :hug:

Yes, I actually wouldn't have been able to travel that trip if I didn't have my cc insurance :eek: We would have had to cancel :scared1: As the QBE insurance I had didn't cover my condition and i couldn't risk travelling without it. My cc insurance actually had unlimited emergency medical, unlimited hospitalisation cover (amongst other things). Can't get higher than that. And it's not necessarily something that would suit everybody or you would rely completely on (although many do as the insurance on mine is provided by a major Australian insurance agency). But it's good just to know that it's there too, an added bonus. If someones cc does have it, they can check the policy and see what's covered on theirs (if someones cc has it, they don't have to pay any extra for it, they have it wether they want it or not, so it doesn't hurt to see what's covered) and decide if it's enough for their family or not :thumbsup2.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of the flights. I'll get ours booked... sometime before we leave in December :rotfl:. Knowing me, we will leave the 2nd and I'll do the flights on the 30th Nov :rotfl:

I believe my card does have a good travel insurance attached. I like the idea of having a good back up.

Anyway...Ms Shuttergirl congrats on booking the flights!

Thanks Shushh

Just wanted to say how impressed with Covermore I was on our last trip. I got really sick overseas :scared:, having to change flights amongst everything else and when we got home I just sent all the paperwork to them and they paid what we were out of pocket very fast.

Agree with aussietravellers. It's always good to have cc insurance as well. As the old saying goes, if you can't afford travel insurance you can't afford to travel ;)

Sorry to hear you got sick DisneyGirlInOz, that is such a shame. Great though that your insurance company came through for you.

I totally agree about insurance. I love insurance. You have it so you don't need it I always say. :laughing:

alicia1506
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
hey all,

thanks for the good wishes and thoughts. turns out there was some internal damage from the surgery so my recovery took a little longer than expected.

there have been some side effects and some rather nasty surprises with how my body now reacts to certain types of food, or eating at certain times of the day, but all in all, i feel 100% improved over where i was 2 weeks ago. still recovering and it will probably take another few weeks to feel 100% healthy again, but i am just so grateful that they chose to do this operation. it's improved my quality of life a hundredfold.

i spent the majority of the day yesterday wrangling flights etc. we've decided we're going with our old friends SouthWest. Their 2 bags fly free policy really just can't be beaten, and their flight prices are lower. They have a direct LAX - MCO internal flight right when we want it.

The return leg of MCO - LAS i believe they have 2 x direct flights each day, but none are currently showing as available and they have not yet opened up their booking dates for our dates (nov 23 and dec 1) so i'm basing this off a dummy booking for dates in october. i will be frantically watching their website over the next several months, and as soon as our dates are released, i will be swooping in to scoop up those direct flights. last year we didn't have as much trouble flying direct, but our travel was during nov when it wasn't so busy... now this year we're going end nov - beginning dec and it seems every man & his dog wants flights then -- grrr. doesn't help that our first flight is the day after thanksgiving :(

re: the travel insurance thing -- we get our travel through lonely planet.. it is underwritten by World Nomads, who are in turn underwritten by LLoyds of London. We use them cause their policy premium is cheap, we get to donate part of our premium cost to a charity, and they cover a huge amount. we also book our big expenses like flights & accomodation & such through our CommBank mastercard so that we are covered via their trip insurance as well -- i love being covered by 2 different policies just in case something goes wrong & one insurer won't cover it, or will only cover up to a certain amount. Lonely Planet insurance does have some really high levels of cover though, and to be honest, I doubt we'll ever claim, but only paying $98 pp/ $198 for a family, for cover for our whole trip is pretty nice :)

and i will second the comments about great info and advice from some very well seasoned travellers on the boards always being appreciated and coming in handy when I am trying to plan my travel needs :)

sorry for the ramble :)

Andona
03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Alicia, Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. :)

Shuttergirl, I think I bought my travel-compression bags from Big W last time. I've seen them at Myer too.

I've been dithering over travel insurance and would be interested to have other opinions. ? We have always purchased travel insurance except on our last trip when we were covered by our credit card. I paid for our flights with it this time so we are also covered . I'm happy with the cover for cancellations, luggage etc etc BUT I'm not sure that it's enough for medical cover. :confused3

We were happy with the medical cover last year when we went to Europe/UK but the Medical expenses cover is only $2,500,000. That was adequate for Europe but I'm concerned that it isn't really enough for the USA. ( Knowing what their sky high medical charges are!!) Do you think I should purchase a policy with Unlimited???

I'm still shopping around for quotes - we usually go with 1Cover as they have nearly always offered the best cover/value combination for our trips but I'll be investigating Covermore and Lonely Planet now too - thanks for the recommendations!:)

P.s. Isn't it ridiculous that $2.5 Million doesn't really seem adequate. :scared1:

Andona

Ms. Shuttergirl
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Andona - thanks for the tip about where to buy those bags.

As for the insurance, it's really what you feel comfortable with. I've had a think about what I would do and I would purchase unlimited but I'm a very cautious person and it would stress me to think was it enough, what if something happens, did I do the right thing, yadda yadda yadda. My SANF would be unlimited. But your SANF might be good at the 2.5mill. Whatever feels right.

alicia1506
03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
hey andona,

i know... 2.5 mil seems like a lot, but for some reason, i also don't think it's enough to fully cover medical expenses if something serious was to go wrong.

when i got sick in NYC, i spent 2 days in bed rather than go to a hospital, because i was sure that i would end up $$$ out of pocket just for them to see me :( i did have insurance, but i also didn't want to go to hospital, so i toughed it out in my room.

next time, if i get sick, i'm getting medical attention straight away :)

i just reviewed the lonely planet policy and it covers up to $5mil for medical expenses, plus $500k for medical evacuation & repatriation, $2.5mil for personal liability & $2500 for loss of luggage, $1000 for loss of passports etc and $10k for pretrip cancellation etc. the loss of luggage can be increased to cover specific items which are high value (ie laptop, video camera, jewellery etc) for a small additional premium.

that was the reason we chose the policy... high limits on the claims, the ability to claim online and from overseas, the ability for a fast claims process, and the low initial premium... certainly not trying to say that this policy would suit everyone, but for us and being first time travellers, and travelling relatively light and without much in the way of value on us (we took the cheaper camera, cheap laptop and cheap phones etc) and left the $$$ ones at home... we found it worked well for us.

hope you manage to find a policy that works for you!!!

aussietravellers
03-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Shuttergirl, I think I bought my travel-compression bags from Big W last time. I've seen them at Myer too.

They are awesome aren't they! We have used those before, also with winter jackets. Only problem is they compact things SO well, that you put so much more in your suitcase and send the weight over the limit :rotfl:

I've been dithering over travel insurance and would be interested to have other opinions. ? We have always purchased travel insurance except on our last trip when we were covered by our credit card. I paid for our flights with it this time so we are also covered . I'm happy with the cover for cancellations, luggage etc etc BUT I'm not sure that it's enough for medical cover. :confused3

We were happy with the medical cover last year when we went to Europe/UK but the Medical expenses cover is only $2,500,000. That was adequate for Europe but I'm concerned that it isn't really enough for the USA. ( Knowing what their sky high medical charges are!!) Do you think I should purchase a policy with Unlimited???

I agree with the others, it's really depends on you and your families needs :thumbsup2 I have medical "issues" :rolleyes1 So I make sure that I have a high a cover for medical as possible. I think a lot of the travel insurance co's have a recommendation for specific regions.

I'm still shopping around for quotes - we usually go with 1Cover as they have nearly always offered the best cover/value combination for our trips but I'll be investigating Covermore and Lonely Planet now too - thanks for the recommendations!:)

P.s. Isn't it ridiculous that $2.5 Million doesn't really seem adequate. :scared1:

It is completely ridiculous! Oh how things have changed over the years.

Andona

Another potentially useless piece of information for anyone interested :idea: .

I was flicking through my new 2012-2013 Entertainment Book and there is a member offer in it for 25% off QBE travel insurance :thumbsup2

aussietravellers
03-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Andona - thanks for the tip about where to buy those bags.

I have bought the bags from KMart too :thumbsup2. They were the Space Bag brand, their travel space bags.

Kangarucci
03-30-2012, 05:22 AM
I have used QBE insurance purchased from the entertainment book several years ago and I have found that the premiums have increased substantially since then.

Look around for better deals. I have bought 1cover a couple of times with good rates. At the moment I like the look of Allianz but you need to shop around a little. :goodvibes