PDA

View Full Version : Laundry on Vacation

ZiPaD3doDAH
01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Hello!

I would like to know what YOU do with your dirty laundry on vacation.

Do you set aside a day to go the a nearby/hotel laundry before you go back home?

or do you carry the dirty laundry with you?

lost*in*cyberspace
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM
If you don't need the clothes again on your vacation, why bother washing them before you go home? Why waste the time and money?

Riverhill
01-29-2012, 11:54 AM
I wash laundry almost everyday on vacation. I use the time to relax in the pool either mid day or at night. :laundy: It only takes 1 hour. I hate the idea of packing dirty laundry in my luggage. This also cuts down the the amount of clothes we have to take in the first place.

bigbabyblues
01-29-2012, 12:06 PM
We usually do laundry on vacation. When we go to the beach, we rent a house and use the washer & dryer there. One of us throws in a load of laundry every day, but we don't spend a whole day doing that. Throw it in before we leave in the morning, switch it when we come back to the house, etc.

If we're at WDW, we do laundry usually once during the trip (normally 8-9 days) while we're at the pool. If we need it a second time, one of us (usually DH) takes it down late on an evening when we get back from the park. However, we drive to both of these places, and it's not a problem to bring laundry soap and things.

ZiPaD3doDAH
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Riverhill, I agree with you, and thats the way my parents taught me.

However, your whole suitcase ends up smelling bad when you get home. Which i find gross.

Just trying to figure out what others do in this situation.

hanutedmansionmomma
01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
I always do laundry at least once. It's not that expensive, and then you don't have a pile of smelly clothes (hello summer trip!!) in the room or suitcase.

I get up waaay earlier than the kids, so I do it in the morning.

mjantz
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I do laundry on our trips. We can pack a lot less & theres more room for purchases. I do have a collapsible duffel bag that we can throw dirty clothes in if needed. It can be checked & we can carry all of our purchases on the plane in our carry-ons.

Kellydelly
01-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Riverhill, I agree with you, and thats the way my parents taught me.

However, your whole suitcase ends up smelling bad when you get home. Which i find gross.

Just trying to figure out what others do in this situation.

Unless we are renting a villa in Orlando when doing Disney, we usually take our dirty clothes home with us. I just put them in a plastic garbage bag to seperate them from the clothing that is still clean. I have never come home with smelly luggage, but then our clothes don't stink after we wear them :confused3.

roliepolieoliefan
01-29-2012, 01:05 PM
I bring a bag and all our dirty laundry goes in there. Then in the suitcase and home. I do all the laundry when we get home. We have more than enough clothes to last us a week or two. I rinse the bathing suites out in the sink usually with a mild detergent I bring from home. Even the one time we were in a villa with a washer and dryer , I didn't do laundry.

I have 2 golden rules for vacation: no laundry and no cooking.

Gigi22
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I do laundry, and still wind up bringing some dirty clothing back in our luggage! I do bring a couple of plastic laundry bags to stow dirty clothing in, and some of those nicely scented dryer sheets, so the luggage doesn't suffer too much. Before I do laundry at WDW, I carefully check the interior of both the washer and dryer--the last time I was there, someone at the Poly dried a heck of a lot of crayons in several dryers.

rascooby
01-29-2012, 01:59 PM
My husband (who never does laundry at home) does laundry on vacation. We try to pack lightly and usually do laundry once or twice a trip. He takes it after the kids go to bed. When he brings it back I fold it and reorganize it into outfits. If we go somewhere that we have a washer/dryer easily available, we try to wash as much as we can before we go home. Coming home from a trip is hard enough to recover from, lots of dirty laundry just makes it worse.

blessedby3
01-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I always do laundry on vacation....whether it is the beach, or Disney, or wherever. We have 6 in our family and we generate A LOT of dirty laundry...especially in the summer months!
I dont want all that smelly stuff sitting around, so when we are at Disney, I do a couple of loads while the kids swim at the pool. The laundry is right by the pool, so very easy. We stayed at BLT one year and had a W/D in the room....it was heavenly:cloud9: I did a load every evening after we showered and we never had laundry pile up! We stayed at POP this past June for 9 nights with our 4 kids and 2 extra kids that went with us. I did LOTS of laundry on that trip:lmao: I had 4 or 5 washers going at a time:laughing:
At the beach I throw in dirty clothes/towels constanatly. We have plenty of down time while resting mid day or while everyone is getting ready to go out for the evening. I never bring dirty clothes home with me from vacation...besides the clothes we are wearing. Its a big help when we get home and are unpacking too. Clothes go straight into the drawers and I dont have to look at 12 loads of" no fun":lmao:

DisneyLover83
01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Before I do laundry at WDW, I carefully check the interior of both the washer and dryer--the last time I was there, someone at the Poly dried a heck of a lot of crayons in several dryers.

At CSR last May someone had put gum in several of the dryers.... the gum was white, the inside of the dryers are white :headache: It was terrible :scared1: Maybe it was a sign that laundry and vacation don't go together ;)

pershing
01-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Pack light, do laundry!

After years of WDW trips, that's my motto. I bring enough for 4 days, and do laundry. That way the bathing suits can get dried on a regular basis. (Let's face it! They don't dry in the room!)

disneymagicgirl
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I do it once on vacation. Less to pack that way and not so much work to do at home. I bring the 3-in-1 laundry sheets in a ziploc baggie. We collect our dirty laundry in a dollar store pop up hamper. Easy peasy!:thumbsup2

disneydivermom
01-29-2012, 02:57 PM
We used to travel with many bags and not do laundry. Once airlines started charging per bag (cost me $80 once for our 4 checked bags :scared1: ) times changed when packing. We pack much, much lighter. My husband is now the only family member who checks a bag. When not in a DVC resort I go once on about day 4 and do laundry. I do laundry again the night before we leave. There is nothing better than coming home from vacation and putting clothing back in the drawers and not have laundry the #1 priority.

We are recent DVC members and now pack even lighter and doing our laundry at DVC resorts no charge. I love coming home from vacation without work to do :banana: .

On our last vacation I used the laundry bag supplied by Disney (in the closet) for the few clothing items we wore the night before we returned home. Because the dirty clothes were in a thick bag they did not contaminate the clean clothes.

My goal for our May vacation is carry-on baggage only and come home with 0 laundry :laundy:.

Sagginit
01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
when i went to WDW as a kid yes, my dad was a morning person so did it before we got up and while we were still getting dressed. as an adult no never happened. we brought the stuff with us both years (those 3 in 1 sheets) and then neither one of us wanted to spend the time doing it. we have a pop up hamper we put the dirty stuff in and when we repack it goes in bags into the suitcases.

my last fall trip to AZ/Las Vegas i used the throw away trick. i brought some items that were on their last legs and needed to go (panties, pjs, flip flops for the pool, and a few tees). when i was done with them i just threw them out. now im not talking holes or stains, but one tee had the bottom seam starting to come undone (just folded back up) and another had the seam starting to pull in another place so while it wasn't visible i knew the items would not make it thru another wash. i also brought smaller toiletries that i could use and toss to make more room for souvenirs. worked surprisingly well.

englishteacha
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
I do laundry when we have a washer/dryer in our condo. I much prefer packing a few favorite outfits and doing laundry than packing a week worth of clothes! Last year in Feb., we didn't have laundry in our condo, so we packed a weeks' worth of both warm weather and cold weather clothes. It was warmer than expected while we were there, so we didn't wear our jeans or sweatshirts at all. It was just too much. Next time, I'll pack half as much and take the laundry somewhere midweek!

When we volunteer at a summer camp for a week, there's no laundry facilities available to us, and we put the dirty stuff in a plastic bag. It's camp, and the stuff gets DIRTY. It's such a pain to wash all the laundry when we get home. I have been known to wash things out in the sink and hang them on the clothesline just so stains and stink don't set in sitting for a week!

marmalade
01-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I always do laundry the day before we leave. I love coming home to a clean house (my DH has OCD with cleaning before we leave on vacation) with all of my laundry clean and folded and just needs to be put away.

tzolkin
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
I wash laundry almost everyday on vacation. I use the time to relax in the pool either mid day or at night. :laundy: It only takes 1 hour. I hate the idea of packing dirty laundry in my luggage. This also cuts down the the amount of clothes we have to take in the first place.

I don't do laundry every day at home. I don't think we would even have a fraction of a load each day. Last trip was the first time I did laundry at Disney-- once mid trip (10 nights) and I only had two loads. My parents came along with us and I even washed some of their clothes so there were 7 of us.

Unless we are renting a villa in Orlando when doing Disney, we usually take our dirty clothes home with us. I just put them in a plastic garbage bag to seperate them from the clothing that is still clean. I have never come home with smelly luggage, but then our clothes don't stink after we wear them :confused3.

This is similar to us. I use a pop up mesh hamper in the room and then put all the dirty clothes together when I'm packing up. If there are any clean clothes left they get packed in a separate suitcase. Our luggage never stinks, but I do always air it out once we get home before I put it away.

We do drive, so I have plenty of room to pack as many clothes as we could possibly need for a 2 week trip (we always have extra clothes that never wind up being worn) and I also don't have to worry about anyone going through my dirty clothes at the airport. Perhaps if we were flying I would consider bringing less and doing more laundry.

disneyofcourse
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I bring a trash bag in my luggage. I'll toss dirty clothing in nightly and then just pack it back up in a suitcase to go home. I hate the idea of dirty stuff in clean luggage so I make sure to use bags and tie them.

daisyduck123
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
For me, it's NOT a vacation if I have to cook, clean, or do laundry.

I take the dirty clothes home with me. They've got to get done sometime. Why would I want to do them during my vacation? I just do them at home.

disneyofcourse
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Maybe its just you who can't smell the stink?:rotfl2:

lizabu
01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
I like to pack light and do laundry half way through. It's easy enough to do. You can go out to the pool or have something to eat while the clothes wash. We put dirty clothes in bags and I won't put them in the suitcase until the last possible moment. I don't want to smell up the suitcases. From the time I finally pack to getting home the laundry's only in there a few hours. I wash as soon as I get home. I'm paranoid about bringing creepy crawlies home from a hotel. Even if I didn't see a single creepy crawlie I still want to wash everything just in case.

tzeitel
01-29-2012, 05:04 PM
I do one load in a 8-10 day trip. I (try to) pack very light (;)) - basically 2 tops per bottom, 2 pairs of shoes each and a toiletries bag. 3 of us in a suitcase with room to spare for souveniers. I do pack a super light extra bag and that is where I put whatever is dirty at the end of the trip.

DD always wants to swim after we get back from the parks so on laundry day DH goes with her and I wash clothes - and take a trip to the gift shop while I wait. I bring detergent samples that I've saved up and I have a small change wallet full of quarters :thumbsup2

Forgot to add that this year we are flying Southwest so I might go crazy and try to go "no laundry" since we will have 3 free bags ;)

mrodgers
01-29-2012, 05:09 PM
After a week of vacation, what is 2 loads of laundry when you get home? Everyone makes such a big deal about laundry, are we the only ones with regular automatic washing machines? Does everyone else hand wash all their clothes?

Laundry doesn't take an hour. It takes about 30 seconds to toss them in, then you leave and let the machine do the work. 5 seconds switching from washer to dryer and leave it again. I certainly don't take an hour doing laundry.

We toss in a garbage bag in the closet. When packing up, we don't worry about clean and dirty clothes, we just toss it all into the laundry when we get home.

jackie101
01-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I normally do laundry on vacation, but end up with dirty clothes. I put them in trash bags inside my suitcase. But then I always end up re-washing everything when I get home :lmao:. I feel like they get musty in the suitcase/airport

disykat
01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I used to have a dirty clothes bag and if I was bringing home laundry we'd just move clothes around and stuff the bag into one suitcase.

Since my kids are older now, I usually have everyone take an old pillowcase and deal with their own laundry in their own suitcase. Odor has never been an issue.

I think letting the dirty laundry breathe a bit rather than stuffing it immediately into a plastic bag keeps the odors down.

ilovemk76
01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
If the vacation is over a week we take half the clothes we need and wash them in the middle of the vacation. On shorter vacations we do not do laundry.

We pack our dirty laundry and take it home.

sookie
01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
i'm kind of anal about this. I absolutely HATE to carry around dirty clothes, and I wash all clothes after they are worn (i'm sorry but everyone stinks).
However, when I get home, I really worry about "hitchhikers" aka bedbugs. I have heard that they love to catch a ride in suitcases. I don't have any bugs in my house and i don't want them!!!
So, I usually do laundry if needed, but I will still unpack the suitcase in the garage and then take the clothes inside to be washed immediately. After a couple of days I then will take the suitcase up to the attic to be stored.

jenjifer
01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Ha! Didn't realize laundry was such a polarizing issue. :confused3

I'm of the "pack light and do laundry" mindset. Last time, I found $12 in the otherwise empty washing machine. I call it good karma. For me anyhow. ;)

stitchlovestink
01-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Rarely do I do laundry while on vacation. It's my vacation too, and I hate doing laundry. I will in the event of an emergency or such...
But you asked what do you normally do...
so here's what we normally do, I take a couple of those really HUGE (those super huge ziploc bag, you know the ones you could put a kid in!) and a heavy duty duffel bag with us. We (actually, I...) pack all of the dirty clothes in the ziploc bag and then put it in the duffel to come home. We always fly Southwest so we never have to worry about checked baggage. And then it frees up the good luggage space for our souvies. :goodvibes Which we always seem to have a TON of!! :rotfl2: One time I managed to bring home 43 Christmas ornaments! I still haven't figured out how that one happened! :scared1: But in my defense, we go to the two Disney store outlets owned by Disney and I do buy quite a bit of my stuff there. :goodvibes

monorailsilver
01-29-2012, 08:11 PM

We do that too.

I think there was one day I didn't do laundry & boy did it pile up & with the tiny Disney washers-at home it would of been 1 load but there it was 2.

But the last night we are there, I can't do that laundry so it just goes in a bag in the suitcase.

Claire&TheBoys
01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I never do laundry on vacation. I take a couple of garbage bags and we put our dirty clothes in them after they are worn. At the end of the trip, I'll combine to put all the un-worn clothes in one of the kids' suitcases, odds and ends in another, and cram the laundry into the largest suitcase. Or, since we drive, I can just throw the laundry bags into the back of the van. I typically do laundry just a few times a week anyway, so it's no big deal for me to do multiple loads the day after we get back.

I suppose if we stayed in DVC accommodations where a washer/dryer were readily available, I might toss in a load here and there. However, we have only stayed at the hotel resorts and I don't want to sit around waiting for laundry to wash/dry.

deuceswild10
01-29-2012, 08:39 PM
I've done laundry once on vacation, when we were gone for two weeks. Otherwise, no, never.

It's vacation. No laundry. :cool1:

clh2
01-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I do not plan to do laundry on vacation. However, I am prepared to do laundry on vacation.:lmao:Now - when we were on our cruise - I do recall doing a couple of loads - due to food and or beverages "jumping" onto DD's clothes - so I did whatever else worked with that outfit.

We bring 3 13-gal garbage bags with us. We sort laundry at home, on a daily basis and we do that on vacation too. So - at the end of the vacation one of us gets the "darks", one gets the "lights" and one gets the "whites". When we get home - the first suitcase in the house gets its laundry bag washed first - then we unpack (leaving the other 2 bats at the laundry room.) We are then everything else is usually unpacked prior to the first load going in to the dryer. Depending on the time - then we do load two - then (again depending on the time) load 3.

The part that "makes this work for us" is that the laundry gets presorted during the week. We do this at home too - so - it isn't "extra" work on the vacation.

BLAZEY
01-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I have a 2 year old who is potty training so, when we go away I try my best to book a hotel with laundry facilities,take a pop up hamper and save my soap samples. I have a ziplock bag in my luggage with the necessary supplies and usually to a load midway or the last day before the end of our trip. Most recently we took a trip (non disney) and the w/d was next to the free breakfast room, so I went down early left the kiddo with my mom in the room, put the laundry on, went back to the room finished getting kiddo ready, went down for breakfast. Midway through breakfast, switched it over, went back to the room to get our stuff for the day, cam back took 5 min to fold it while pulling it out of the dryer and took it back to the room 10-15 mins of effort on my part and no sticky, stain kid clothes.
I don't mind doing laundry .... dishes on the other hand:rotfl2:

Carina
01-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I do it once on vacation. Less to pack that way and not so much work to do at home. I bring the 3-in-1 laundry sheets in a ziploc baggie. We collect our dirty laundry in a dollar store pop up hamper. Easy peasy!:thumbsup2

Us too! Love them!

We pack for our trip in suitcases organized per person ( moms suitcase, dads suitcase etc) we come home in suitcases that are organized clean and dirty. I try and make it 4 clean suitcases and one dirty ( the one that holds the clothes we were wearing the last day when I was packing and doing laundry and the last nights jammies)

I will happily pay the few bucks to be washing 3 loads at once while we organize and pack the room, to be able to arrive home open all the lean suitcases and put all that stuff right away. Sure beats the avalance of laundry we come home from camping with ( no laundry services when we camp)
:laundy:

herdtoDisney
01-30-2012, 05:22 AM
I don't want to do laundry on my vacation! But when we were at Pop last year, I did end up putting all our towels and swimsuits to wash and dry because I didn't want to take them home damp and getting funky.

Truth is, I always wash EVERYTHING we take on vacation, as soon as we get home. I actually put the suitcases right in the basement and start unloading them into the machine. It's just a 'thing' I have to do ;):rotfl2:

burnurcomputer
01-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Laundry every day on vacation is not that big of a deal for us at all :) We are a family of 6 (7 at Disney) and we can pack less, have less to carry and it costs less to pay for checked bags!

snarlingcoyote
01-30-2012, 06:13 AM
We're just two, so it's easier for us. I bring a pop-up hamper and several plastic garbage bags. Everything goes in the hamper until it's full and then in the plastic garbage bag inside a suitcase.

DH will only bring 3 pairs of shorts for an 8 day trip and I have fave tops, so I know that somewhere along in there, one evening, I will use one of my extra shampoos from housekeeping (I beg as many as they'll give me. I have extra, extra thick hair, thanks to the genetics of being a mutt - so I go through one tube of shampoo a day!) to wash a couple of things out in the sink, then I either lay them out on the balcony to dry or I hang them up on the line in the bathroom.

When we go home, one suitcase has plastic garbage bags with various dirty clothes, one has everything else and I've usually got a couple of duffels that were zipped up and flat in the bottom of our suitcases opened up and full and maybe even a packable shopping tote or two opened up and full. We drive, so we pack as much as we'd like.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
We normally do it halfway through the vacation. I started doing that a couple of years ago when my husband started complaining that we had too many suitcases.

Then the remaining dirty laundry goes into white kitchen garbage bags in each suitcase with a sheet of bounce thrown in so it doesn't stink up the suitcase.

It also has the added bonus that if we still have some clean clothes not worn, we can easily tell and put them away when we get home instead of just washing everything in the suitcase.

DawnM
01-30-2012, 08:06 AM
We stay in a condo with a w/d so we do a load daily usually. It is so nice to drive home with clean clothing in your suitcase, but the biggest benefit is that we can wear one set of clothing, pack just two others, and be good for the entire trip with only 3 outfits.

Our last November vaca to Disney was a 2 week stay. We all only had 3 outfits each, although DH had to take work clothing as he had a training conference the first 4 days.

Dawn

tinkmom2
01-30-2012, 08:26 AM
We usually do laundry once a week when on Disney property. Swim suits get nasty after a few days even though we pack 2 per person usually. In the last few years we have been going on the DCL cruise afterwards and have only done laundry once on the ship. I bring a few draw string garbage bags to put our dirty laundry in. The laundry at CBR is right by the quiet pool so you can do your laundry and swim at the same time:thumbsup2
We tried the Purex all in one sheets once but they leave stains on our clothes so we just use what they have available at the laundry.

abcboys
01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
We bring about 4 days worth and wash halfway through so we can pack less. Doing laundry at disney is funner than at home:thumbsup2 and like other people said it really only takes a few minutes to throw in, switch over, and bring back to the room. I actually hate the thought of doing a whole weeks worth of dirty clothes after getting back from vacation than doing 2 or 3 loads while on vacation.

suzyqsam
01-30-2012, 08:43 AM
I like to come home with clean clothes so I usually end up doing laundry. Also, if I can pack less, do laundry mid week, we can wear the clothes again.

momto2inKC
01-30-2012, 08:45 AM
We always do laundry on long vacations. I am an over packer as it is. If I had to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes i'd be in trouble!! I don't swim, so while the kids are enjoying the pool I do laundry. Not to mention I couldn't stand having stinky clothes laying around for 2 weeks :eek: Regardless of how 'clean' you are, laundry stinks lol Especially when you're walking around a theme park all day long sweating and such.

goodeats
01-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Before DD1 I never did laundry on vacation. I would bring so many clothes/outfits. Even when I went to Ireland for 10 days, I brought enough stuff. I would bring a garbage bag for dirties. I had plenty of time to do laundry once I got home.

Now with two kids (I need to update my sig) I really need to do laundry otherwise we'd have to bring a sherpa for a weeklong vacation. Not to mention the cost of checking in bags nowadays!

Bell30012
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Even on vacation laundry still has to be done. Luckily, I have a daughter! We generally put the laundry in, go swimming for a little while then take the laundry back to the room to fold or hang up.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v5038/108/95/661020322/n661020322_7212736_5484604.jpg

girli565
01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
I just take a plastic garbage bag and fold the clothes as small as possible and stuff them in the suitcase to take home.

I HATE doing laundry so laundry on vacation is a huge buzzkill. i'd rather do it at home after vacation.

sparkyboy
01-30-2012, 10:08 AM
We pack light so tend to do laundry once or twice late at night or early morning

chimilady
01-30-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't mind doing laundry .... dishes on the other hand:rotfl2:

I'm right there with ya. I could do laundry every day, but if I had to do my own dishes.... well, it wouldn't get done.

SDSorority
01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Hello!

I would like to know what YOU do with your dirty laundry on vacation.

Do you set aside a day to go the a nearby/hotel laundry before you go back home?

or do you carry the dirty laundry with you?

I prefer to pack enough clothes to get me through half of the trip, do laundry mid-way through, and then pack the dirty clothes in a plastic bag to bring home in the suitcase. Immediately throw the dirty laundry in the washer when we get home.

We don't like to check suitcases, so we almost always do the above routine.

Taja
01-30-2012, 03:23 PM
We tend to visit WDW for 10 to 12 nights - and usually in December. That = variable weather and layering clothing, so it's usually necessary to do laundry at least once during the visit, depending on the weather.

I tend to do my laundry at WDW twice--about mid-point and the day before returning home. By the time I shuttle home from the airport, it's usually fairly late at night and I have to go to work in the morning! I much prefer arriving home with clean clothing! *LOL*

My BFF has been known to make it through the entire trip without doing laundry or repeating outfits. She is Pooh-sized and somehow manages to fit tons of clothing--without compression bags!--in the same size case (24" or 25") that I use! We had a longer warm spell than anticipated in December 2007 (before it became wicked cold!), so she did do a load about Day 7. Her DD did laundry every 3 days or so, as she had her 14-week-old DS, as well as her 9-year-old DD. The little guy's stuff didn't require a lot of space, but he could go through clothing quickly! *LOL*

LJSquishy
01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I was wondering how long it takes to do one small load of laundry...an hour? More?

I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense for me to pack enough clothes for 8 days or to try and pack fewer things and do a single load of laundry in the middle of our stay. It is just my husband and myself. He won't need to do laundry, but I will be packing a little of everything because the weather (Feb 11-18) can vary so much from cool morning/evening temps to warmer midday temps.

luvthemouse71
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I wash my clothes when I get home- they recommend doing this because of bedbugs anyway...

DisneyLoverUSA
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
When we were gone 10 days I did the dirty clothes while we were still on vacation. This week we have been gone from Thursday to Thursday and I am just taking the dirty clothes home with me. I take on 13 gallon garbage bag per person and all week when we take our bath we put our dirty clothes in the bag and tote them home.

Bell30012
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
The washer takes 45 minutes and the dryer takes 30 or 40 minutes. When my daughter and I fly, we don't take as much because we don't want to deal with the issues of luggage if we can help it. If we are driving, it depends on which car. The 2000 Honda Insight which gets the best mpg, has very little luggage room but at 55+ mpg who's complaining?

Lumiere Lover
01-31-2012, 08:38 PM
I prefer to do laundry while in the pool. I don't like putting dirty clothes in a suitcase. If I have to, I pack the previous nights dirty clothes into a trash bag, then into the suitcase.

We bring a pop up hamper, do laundry at the resort (bring back to room in clean bag from home (not the hamper that had dirty clothes in it). When I get home, I can then unpack from the suitcase into the closet. I prefer doing all the dirty laundry the night before we leave (in not earlier in the vacation also). I can't stand coming home from vacation and having to do laundry immediately!!

DawnM
02-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I am curious if flying actually saves you time?

I live 9 hours away but by the time you calculate everything out, it only saves 2-3 hours of time overall.

We prefer to have a car there anyway, and expense is a factor, but I am always curious about those who live that close and fly.

Dawn

The washer takes 45 minutes and the dryer takes 30 or 40 minutes. When my daughter and I fly, we don't take as much because we don't want to deal with the issues of luggage if we can help it. If we are driving, it depends on which car. The 2000 Honda Insight which gets the best mpg, has very little luggage room but at 55+ mpg who's complaining?

ZephyrHawk
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Only once in my life have I taken time out of my precious vacation to wash clothes. That was on my 3+ week trip to Europe last fall.

buzz5985
02-02-2012, 01:11 AM
When I go on vacation - we leave our house spotless. I do laundry on vacation, I don't bring any clothes home dirty. Throw it in the washer, swim, have a few drinks, throw it in the dryer, swm some more, another drink. :lmao: The day we come home my lovely sister will go to the grocery store for me and stock my fridge, take out the dinner I have ready to go in the freezer. We get home, kick back and continue relaxing.

Janis

Pembo
02-02-2012, 06:53 AM
If we're staying in a condo with a free washer and dryer, I'll do laundry. If we're in a hotel and we need the clothes, I'll do laundry. I prefer not to do it if I have to pay for it.

I have two laundry bags I take on vacation, one for whites, one for darks. We put our clothes in those in the hotel room. We put all the dirty laundry in one suitcase. It makes much easier to unpack, sort and wash. I start on laundry right after we get home.

We went to WDW in December one year. We didn't take enough warm clothes so I had to wash. It cost me a lot of $$$ (and time) to get those sweatshirts and jeans dry!!!

delmar411
02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
we stay in 2bedroom villas, either off site or on. All have in room laundry so I just throw a load in each night (small washers) and we come home with just that last night's pj's as dirty clothes.

I also do a deep clean on our house before we leave so we come home to a clean home. I throw that last load into the washer as soon as we get home and try to enjoy the clean house before the kids trash it again. ;)