PDA

View Full Version : Things that make me shake my head!

CrazyDuck
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't you just love the way kids think? I had half a mind to take it out of the trash and make em eat it tomorrow... I guess I should be happy that they were even able to find the trash can! :confused3
http://www.unstupid.com/myimages/poptart.jpg

iheartpeterpan
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
:sad2:
Yeah I run around my house picking up/dumping out soda cans with 1/100th of the contents sipped out, remaining left to go flat.

3BoysRDisneyFreaks
01-26-2012, 01:33 PM
I would have flipped, pulled it out of the garbage for tomorrow and refused to buy a box of pop tarts for a long time.

Sarah

KristiKat
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
I feel your pain. My step son is really bad about this. My DD has always put hers in a ziplock bag and eats it the next day. When DH and I got married it surprised me to see how wasteful my step son is. I've finally gotten him to put them in a ziplock bag also. Not buying any for him for a while did the trick. He got tired of cereal.

luvsJack
01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I would have flipped, pulled it out of the garbage for tomorrow and refused to buy a box of pop tarts for a long time.

Sarah

If they cost so much that you would pull it out of the GARBAGE CAN for your child to eat, why buy them at all? :sick:

DD would have put it in the zip loc back, eaten something different for the next few days and then I would have thrown it out over the weekend because it was stale. But, we heat them up, maybe that makes a difference?

herdtoDisney
01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Don't you just love the way kids think? I had half a mind to take it out of the trash and make em eat it tomorrow... I guess I should be happy that they were even able to find the trash can! :confused3

Think of it this way-you have taught them to clean up after themselves ;)

crisi
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
If they cost so much that you would pull it out of the GARBAGE CAN for your child to eat, why buy them at all? :sick:

DD would have put it in the zip loc back, eaten something different for the next few days and then I would have thrown it out over the weekend because it was stale. But, we heat them up, maybe that makes a difference?

That's a darn clean garbage can. Camping will put far more ick in your food.

Joan S.
01-26-2012, 04:45 PM

So did the child eat the yogurt and not the pop-tart?? Because then I would say you just have a REALLY health conscious child :). Joan

pigletto
01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
That's a darn clean garbage can.

I was going to say.. that puts my garbage can to shame:lmao:

Mickey1Fan
01-26-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm also trying to figure out why it is on a paper plate - sorry - just one of those things I don't understand and we are on the budget board :sad2:

Did you find out why it was tossed and not eaten?

CrazyDuck
01-26-2012, 08:21 PM

They come in a pack of 2... He ate part of one... You can see the 1/4 left of the first one that fell off the plate just above... He said he was done... (sigh) We did heat them up in the toaster, he likes them warmed but not toasted which is why it doesn't look toasted at all... Maybe he thought that once you heat it up you can't do it again? :confused3

Mickey1Fan
01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Does he know that next time he wraps one, eats one and once it is gone he can have another if he wants?

A life lesson for your son (I'm guessing son).

I hate pop tarts at the best of times - LOL - I'm on his side, they are best left in the package or tossed.

Kat77
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM

+1

DD would have put it in the zip loc back, eaten something different for the next few days and then I would have thrown it out over the weekend because it was stale.

MTE. I throw out 'saved' food all the time. He was just saving mom a step. ;)

Remind the child to wrap them up from now on if that's what you expect. Maybe you could impose a fine of 15 cents for future trashed poptarts? That's about what one costs.

Leajess99
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM

I tend to agree. I could never imagine or even think about taking food from the trash to feed my kids. There are days my kids may be rushing and just throw the rest of something away but most times they put leftovers in a bag for later.

abcboys
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm only admitting this since no one on here really knows me but I would totally eat that or not feel bad giving it to my kids out of the trash can like that. For one thing its still on the plate, it doesn't look like its touched other trash or had gross things spilled on it. The trash bag looks new. What's the big deal :confused3

HugsForEeyore
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Ohhh this breaks my heart. Frosted Cherry poptarts are by far and away my favorite flavor!

Marionnette
01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm only admitting this since no one on here really knows me but I would totally eat that or not feel bad giving it to my kids out of the trash can like that. For one thing its still on the plate, it doesn't look like its touched other trash or had gross things spilled on it. The trash bag looks new. What's the big deal :confused3
:crazy2:

abcboys
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
:crazy2:

Why? It's still on the plate and with what looks like a new trash bag?? How has it gotten nasty?

Marionnette
01-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Why? It's still on the plate and with what looks like a new trash bag?? How has it gotten nasty?
I can't believe that you even need to ask why. Eating food out of a garbage can is just plain nasty. First, because the liner is not food safe, even if it is brand new. Second, because the can itself is not clean. And third, I throw all kinds of stuff in my garbage can because (get this) IT'S GARBAGE! That includes spoiled food, Kleenex with boogers and paper towels used to clean up dog vomit. And believe it or not, I don't sanitize the can after I change the liner.

I cannot believe that I even need to point any of that out.

I feel like I need to vomit.

Tinker'n'Fun
01-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I am attending the "the yogurt is gone" camp. Plus next time just heat up one at a time, then you can save the other one from accidental mishaps.

As for paper plates, when my kids were little I always had a package for snacks, they were too little to reach the Corelle Ware and I always got the paper plates with a coupon and on sale.

And I also feel once it hits the trash, new bag or not, it's trash, unless it is the car keys or a check!:rotfl2:

abcboys
01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, I'm not suggesting you pull food out of the bottom of the trash can and eat it or eat things covered in snot rags or spoiled food. I'm just saying this PARTICULAR poptart looks unharmed still on the plate on the very top of a clean trash bag. Doesn't look nasty to me! At the very most I might break off the part that is off the plate but that's it.

pintamino
01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Well, I'm not suggesting you pull food out of the bottom of the trash can and eat it or eat things covered in snot rags or spoiled food. I'm just saying this PARTICULAR poptart looks unharmed still on the plate on the very top of a clean trash bag. Doesn't look nasty to me! At the very most I might break off the part that is off the plate but that's it.

I can't believe that you even need to ask why. Eating food out of a garbage can is just plain nasty. First, because the liner is not food safe, even if it is brand new. Second, because the can itself is not clean. And third, I throw all kinds of stuff in my garbage can because (get this) IT'S GARBAGE! That includes spoiled food, Kleenex with boogers and paper towels used to clean up dog vomit. And believe it or not, I don't sanitize the can after I change the liner.

Bolding mine. Even if the bag appears clean, the can is not and the liner was probably not a clean seal between any other grossness that had been in the can and leaked/hung around and the food. So just because you don't SEE snot or spoiled food, there is very real potential for those contaminants to be on the food just from being in there.

I might pull it out and feed it to my golden retriver... actually, no, I wouldn't even do that (though she probably eats more disgusting things off the ground). I'm with Marionnette, I can't believe this has to be explained. :scared1:

CrazyDuck
01-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Calm down all... I was just joking about taking it out of the trash can, I would never do so... I just thought you Budget Boarders would get a kick out of it...

Maybe you could impose a fine of 15 cents for future trashed poptarts? That's about what one costs.

Maybe in Texas... In Hawaii it's about $5.00 for a box of 8 so that works out to about $.62 each... It really doesn't bother me that much... Definitely not as bad as the time when they were helping put away the groceries and put $40 worth of t-bone steaks in the cupboard! :crazy2: They are only 6 and 8 so ya just gotta laugh sometimes!

ladybugjen
01-27-2012, 01:26 AM
WOW 5 bucks for a box of pop tarts! Thats crazy! They are something like $1.98 at walmart, here in ohio.

mdsoccermom
01-27-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm also trying to figure out why it is on a paper plate - sorry - just one of those things I don't understand and we are on the budget board :sad2:

What's wrong with paper plates? Was she supposed to break out the fine china for a pop tart?

SaraJayne
01-27-2012, 08:28 AM

No kidding. Blech.

Even when we were poor as church mice, I never ever considered taking food out of the trash can. :sick:

What's with the head shakey smiley about paper plates? We use them at least a couple times a week. No muss, no fuss when we want a fast clean up.

Princess Dolly
01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
WOW! A lot of George Costanza's around these parts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHTcF4thLw

Personally, I'd be glad my kid ate the yogurt and trashed the pop tart.

MSLRAC
01-27-2012, 08:51 AM

:confused3 Sorry I just don't follow your line of thinking. Even if the trash can and liner look clean...they are NOT! There was raw chicken in my trash can last night but it has a nice new liner in it this morning and 'looks' clean but that does not mean that salmonella is still not floating around in that can. Sorry, but I am not digging uneaten anything out of our trash with the expectation of anyone eating.

North of Mouse
01-27-2012, 09:22 AM

I agree. For goodness sake the bag is clean, it's still on the plate, was probably just dropped there and it's in your own home, own family. Some people on here act like you'd be scavaging other people's garbage to feed your kids:rotfl: What child of "anybody" has not dropped something on your own kitchen floor and picked it up and ate it (where all the family has been walking with their germy shoes). :confused3 This looks much cleaner than that. I would not even care if someone knew I did that, not the way this picture looks. Then these same people are the very ones I probably see letting their little ones ride in carts with seats and handles being one of the "germiest" (probably not a word :laughing:) things I know of and they're eating or putting their hands in their mouths - grosses me out. A lot of them don't even bother with the sani wipes available, or if they do don't wipe every wire on the front of the cart that kiddies touch. :rolleyes1

North of Mouse
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Everyone doesn't keep a filthy trash can in their kitchen - I for one keep mine sanitized with Lysol (also PP samanella (sp) doesn't "float around") This appears to be a clean bag, clean trash can, and the food hasn't even touched the "clean" bag (she seems to have seen it happen and grabbed her camera). Your garbage can sounds like it should be kept in the garage - dog vomit - now that's a clencher. I sanitize everything around our house - guess I'm germ phobic, but we're seldom sick so something must be working (knock on wood;) But to each their own :thumbsup2

MagicalMawMaw
01-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I got my laugh for the day out of the replys you are getting.

MSLRAC
01-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Everyone doesn't keep a filthy trash can in their kitchen - I for one keep mine sanitized with Lysol (also PP samanella (sp) doesn't "float around") This appears to be a clean bag, clean trash can, and the food hasn't even touched the "clean" bag (she seems to have seen it happen and grabbed her camera). Your garbage can sounds like it should be kept in the garage - dog vomit - now that's a clencher. I sanitize everything around our house - guess I'm germ phobic, but we're seldom sick so something must be working (knock on wood;) But to each their own :thumbsup2

I take our kitchen and bathroom trash cans outside every Sunday and scrub them with hot water and bleach, I also spray them with Lysol every time I change the bag (daily, sometimes twice a day) and wipe the sides down with a Clorox wipe...that said, it is still the dang GARBAGE can! It hold GARBAGE and eating out of it is just plan nasty! It's a Poptart...they cost a quarter but even if it were a lobster, I would NOT be fishing it out of the trash for anyone in my home to eat. Sorry, no matter how frugal, budget minded, whatever, I draw the line at eating food out of the trash!

North of Mouse
01-27-2012, 10:01 AM
I got my laugh for the day out of the replys you are getting.

It is a hoot, isn't it? After going back and reading all the posts, I think I'll go around with a smile on my face today :woohoo: We're all different which keeps life interesting :thumbsup2

CAFarmerGirl
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
OMG...my whole family likely would have fought over that one pop tart in the garbage can!! :lmao:

I love pop tarts but only buy them once every couple of years because of their not so nice ingredients...and I would probably eat the entire box before anyone got home. Same reason I cannot buy Oreos. My poor, deprived kids!

Leajess99
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm sorry but that is so grosssssss. Just because it looks "unharmed" does not mean it has not come into contact with other germs. Do you pick food up off the floor and eat it??

Seriously, you don't know what has been in that trash can and whether the bag is clean looking or not does not mean it is. :sick::sick:

Marionnette
01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
It's a GARBAGE can, not a wastepaper basket.

Geez! I'm surely not going to leave dog vomit in the kitchen can all day! But I'm also not going to walk all the way into the garage with a nasty, gross paper towel. I grab the kitchen can, drag it to the location, clean up the mess and take the bag out to the garage can.

But I still don't sanitize the can after every bag change. And we're rarely sick, so maybe it has more to do with handwashing and NOT EATING OUT OF A GARBAGE CAN, than it has to do with what's been tossed in said can or how long it's been since the can in question has been washed.

CAFarmerGirl
01-27-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry but that is so grosssssss. Just because it looks "unharmed" does not mean it has not come into contact with other germs. Do you pick food up off the floor and eat it??

Seriously, you don't know what has been in that trash can and whether the bag is clean looking or not does not mean it is. :sick::sick:

5 second rule? Of course, it only applies to junk food, not fruit or veggies!! ;)

Leajess99
01-27-2012, 11:03 AM
I agree. For goodness sake the bag is clean, it's still on the plate, was probably just dropped there and it's in your own home, own family. Some people on here act like you'd be scavaging other people's garbage to feed your kids:rotfl: What child of "anybody" has not dropped something on your own kitchen floor and picked it up and ate it (where all the family has been walking with their germy shoes). :confused3 This looks much cleaner than that. I would not even care if someone knew I did that, not the way this picture looks. Then these same people are the very ones I probably see letting their little ones ride in carts with seats and handles being one of the "germiest" (probably not a word :laughing:) things I know of and they're eating or putting their hands in their mouths - grosses me out. A lot of them don't even bother with the sani wipes available, or if they do don't wipe every wire on the front of the cart that kiddies touch. :rolleyes1

I'm sorry but my kids do NOT eat food off the floor anywhere. As for carts, they are wiped down and when infants/toddlers I had a cart cover. My kids even wash their hands after basketball/soccer and before touching food.

GOOFY4DONALD
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM
WOW! A lot of George Costanza's around these parts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHTcF4thLw

Personally, I'd be glad my kid ate the yogurt and trashed the pop tart.This is exactly what I was thinking since I opened this thread "BUT IT WAS ON A MAGAZINE!!!!!!!!":rotfl:

crisi
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I think we should get together and have a dumpster diving dinner!

North of Mouse
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry but my kids do NOT eat food off the floor anywhere. As for carts, they are wiped down and when infants/toddlers I had a cart cover. My kids even wash their hands after basketball/soccer and before touching food.

Wow , you are one in a million - perfect toddlers which never dropped a cookie on your kitchen floor and picked it up and ate it ( I didn't say just anywhere, but on MY kitchen floor which I tried to keep very clean when I had crawlers and toddlers especially). When they were older, of course I wouldn't have wanted them to do that if I had seen them, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head in spite of what I told my children :laughing: But as I said in earlier post - to each their own :thumbsup2

CAFarmerGirl
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Wow , you are one in a million - perfect toddlers which never dropped a cookie on your kitchen floor and picked it up and ate it ( I didn't say just anywhere, but on MY kitchen floor which I tried to keep very clean when I had crawlers and toddlers especially). When they were older, of course I wouldn't have wanted them to do that if I had seen them, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head in spite of what I told my children :laughing: But as I said in earlier post - to each their own :thumbsup2

My son managed to find a *slug* on the kitchen floor and eat it when he was a toddler. :eek: I about puked on that one!

Octoberbride03
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
No kidding. Blech.

Even when we were poor as church mice, I never ever considered taking food out of the trash can. :sick:

What's with the head shakey smiley about paper plates? We use them at least a couple times a week. No muss, no fuss when we want a fast clean up.

Since when does a poptart even need a plate when its completely intact. IF I have a poptart its from the vending machine at work and then, only when I'm desperate. I love them but can't have them too much cause that's all I'll eat:rotfl2: But when I do I either use a napkin or the pouch they came in while I'm eating it. I never use a plate unless they broke in the pouch. Its a waste of a good plate.

Octoberbride03
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Is anybody else hearing the 5 second rule playing their head at the moment:rolleyes1

I remember hearing that A LOT growing up.

abcboys
01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
This thread is cracking me up, too and I'm sure I'm the one that caused all the trouble. Food off the floor....well you don't want to hear my answer but yes I've eaten food off the floor and not died or had salmonella yet. It has to be in my own home, not like a restaurant or anything and it has to be dry food like a cracker. If it was a piece of fruit or something I wouldn't throw it away but I would wash it off.

That video where he ate the eclair out of the trash cracked me up! I would have done that but not if there was someone elses bite taken out of it or at someone elses house. Too funny!!

I think most of you are exaggerating this poptart picture with words like floating in salmonella, digging, and dumpster diving. You all act like I'm digging out a piece of rotten chicken out of the bottom of the trash can! It's sitting perfectly on top still on the plate for pete's sake! doesn't even look like a bite was taken out! And it's not like I would make a habit out of it. Oh well, I still don't see the big deal with that picture.

ToddyLu
01-27-2012, 01:36 PM
:) It's not like he was eating a poptart on the potty. :eek:That would have been worse to me than the poptart in the trash can scenario.

Yep I am in the poptart looks clean, in that particular trash can, on that particular plate, while I watched my particular child through the expensive piece of white and pink iced cardboard away. Wouldn't have touched nasty yogurt--is deserves to be left on its own in the can.

ToddyLu
01-27-2012, 01:38 PM
;)Of course I work in a wound care center and I would be happy to take pics of things in trash cans around here...(insert evil laugh, Mawhaaahaa)

:rotfl:

MSLRAC
01-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I think most of you are exaggerating this poptart picture with words like floating in salmonella, digging, and dumpster diving. You all act like I'm digging out a piece of rotten chicken out of the bottom of the trash can! It's sitting perfectly on top still on the plate for pete's sake! doesn't even look like a bite was taken out! And it's not like I would make a habit out of it. Oh well, I still don't see the big deal with that picture.

The big deal for me is that we do not eat out of the trash or off the floor. PERIOD. I don't care what it is, how intact it looks, the apparent cleanliness of the trash can...it is in the trash and it is now garbage. We have an extraordinarily clean trash can at home and we still don't do it because no matter how clean I try to keep it, there is no telling what sort of germs and bacteria are in that trash can.

Debbie7452
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
At our house, they would leave it out for ME to clean up. I would carefully package it in a zip lock bag where it would sit untouched til the end of time, when I would end up throwing out not only the pop-tart but a now wasted zip lock baggy, too!

jewjubean
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Wow ya'll are making a big deal out of nothing. The kid wasted food that could have been eaten later for a snack or breakfast the next day. Big deal folks. And as far as eating out of the trash can, not something that I would do BUT do ya'll realize the germs you interact with on a day to day basis? Using the bathroom, touching money, opening doors, even interacting with your dog has germs. Think about all those rides at Disney you touch ...and the thousands of people who've touched them before you. Do you think everyone washed their hands after everything they did? Speaking from experience they get cleaned once at night.
No one is perfect and no one has the right answer to this question. But calm down, if it kills ya...it was your time to go!

MSLRAC
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Wow ya'll are making a big deal out of nothing. The kid wasted food that could have been eaten later for a snack or breakfast the next day. Big deal folks. And as far as eating out of the trash can, not something that I would do BUT do ya'll realize the germs you interact with on a day to day basis? Using the bathroom, touching money, opening doors, even interacting with your dog has germs. Think about all those rides at Disney you touch ...and the thousands of people who've touched them before you. Do you think everyone washed their hands after everything they did? Speaking from experience they get cleaned once at night.
No one is perfect and no one has the right answer to this question. But calm down, if it kills ya...it was your time to go!

That is why we wash our hands frequently and ALWAYS before we eat. But if you are eating food out of the trash, it kind of negates washing your hands doesn't it? :confused3 Seriously, I can NOT believe that you guys are advocating eating food out of the trash. Sorry, I do not get it. :confused3

peekinglemer
01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
I once ate a piece of buttered toast that I dropped on the floor. I was so happy when I looked down and noticed it landed butter side up. :blush:

I know that is kind of gross but I was starving, late for work and it was the last piece of bread in the house.

North of Mouse
01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow, this is so entertaining :rotfl2: I've been gone all afternoon and the action is still strong! There is about 3 posters on here that sure have themselves in a stew. If it keeps going much longer they'll start posting we're all eating out of dumpsters every day :rotfl: It's already gone from one very pristine bag in the OP's very clean kitchen with her own child to "I can't believe y'all would advocate eating out of garbage cans where all this other gross stuff is that has "floating" salmonella in it" :laughing: I doubt very seriously that you don't have normal kids like the rest of us do :confused3. By the way jewjubean, I was your "neighbor" several years ago - I lived off Butcher Switch Rd. in N. Lafayette - still miss our "crawfish boils" ;) Y'all have a very good evening, this has made my day and I'm still laughing :woohoo:

MSLRAC
01-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Wow, this is so entertaining :rotfl2: I've been gone all afternoon and the action is still strong! There is about 3 posters on here that sure have themselves in a stew. If it keeps going much longer they'll start posting we're all eating out of dumpsters every day :rotfl: It's already gone from one very pristine bag in the OP's very clean kitchen with her own child to "I can't believe y'all would advocate eating out of garbage cans where all this other gross stuff is that has "floating" salmonella in it" :laughing: I doubt very seriously that you don't have normal kids like the rest of us do :confused3. By the way jewjubean, I was your "neighbor" several years ago - I lived off Butcher Switch Rd. in N. Lafayette - still miss our "crawfish boils" ;) Y'all have a very good evening, this has made my day and I'm still laughing :woohoo:

If your post in in reference to me, I can promise you that my kids do not eat off the floor or out of the trash. If it hits the floor, they throw it away. DD3 just dropped a bowl of Cheetos and she picked them up (one by one) and ran them to the trash can...she then asked for more.

And I do not have myself in a stew...I just find it beyond gross that anyone would eat stuff out of the trash and then question why it is wrong.

mousetravel
01-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I feel your pain. My step son is really bad about this. My DD has always put hers in a ziplock bag and eats it the next day. When DH and I got married it surprised me to see how wasteful my step son is. I've finally gotten him to put them in a ziplock bag also. Not buying any for him for a while did the trick. He got tired of cereal.

I also have the "ziplock rule". I keep a box of ziplocks right on the countertop for such occassions!!! :thumbsup2

.......IF I have a poptart its from the vending machine at work and then, only when I'm desperate.....

:lmao:

This thread is cracking me up, too.....

Me, too. I needed the laugh for today!

:)... It's not like he was eating a poptart on the potty.... :eek:

Octoberbride03
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I also have the "ziplock rule". I keep a box of ziplocks right on the countertop for such occassions!!! :thumbsup2

Me, too. I needed the laugh for today!

You're welcome:thumbsup2

You have to understand I only eat them when i am desperate because I like them entirely too much:lmao:

mhsjax
01-27-2012, 09:35 PM
As far as I am concerned, all pop tarts belong in the trash. How do you people eat those things. Even as a kid, before I was concerned about healthy eating, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that garbage.

FWIW My DH doesn't understand my hatred of pop tarts either, he thinks I am crazy. I would rather starve.

debdreamsofdis
01-27-2012, 10:00 PM
As far as I am concerned, all pop tarts belong in the trash. How do you people eat those things. Even as a kid, before I was concerned about healthy eating, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that garbage.

FWIW My DH doesn't understand my hatred of pop tarts either, he thinks I am crazy. I would rather starve.

I agree. Now, Pillsbury Toaster Stredel, that's another story. :rotfl2:

North of Mouse
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
I agree. Now, Pillsbury Toaster Stredel, that's another story. :rotfl2:

Now those are one thing that I really don't like - to me greasy sweet :confused3 But I love a well browned pop-tart without frosting, but lightly buttered with coffee - Yummy :thumbsup2 Our taste buds are all so different ;)

eeyorethegreat
01-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow it's a Seinfield episode message board style! :rotfl2:
OP ~~yeah I would have been irritated too! My son dumped and entire glass of milk down the sink the other day and we had quite a discussion about "wasting" and the cost of milk.

abcboys
01-27-2012, 11:20 PM

What's really funny is, I said I would take that out of the trash like that and eat it isn't entirely true....I don't really even like pop tarts. :rotfl2: Might as well just feed your kids cookies for breakfast. I might buy them once or twice a year. I do sometime get the nature's path organic toaster pastires. They are actually pretty good! I just hate to see food wasted!

Leajess99
01-27-2012, 11:45 PM

I never said my kids were perfect but they do NOT eat off the floor regardless of where the floor is. My kids were also supervised while eating as a toddler so they did not get the chance to drop it on the floor and pick it back up.

Do you know the things you can walk through and bring back to your own houses/floors?? :sick:

tlh0726
01-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Wanna talk :sick:

I watch 3 before/after school kids, 2 brothers 10 & 8 and 1 other boy 9
Everytime they use the bathroom, as they are opening the door I yell did you remember to flush and wash your hands? Half the time there is a delay of them coming out, a few times i went in and questioned how do you wash your hands with no water the sink isn't wet.

One time I was in the kitchen preparing snacks and the 10 year old was in the bathroom a long long time (#2).
Came out climb up on a counter stool to join everyone else, I looked at him and said washed your hands?
His reply with eyes rolling as he gets back down, I forgot I'm at your house.

2Tiggies
01-28-2012, 07:27 AM
At my DD's insistence I purchased a bag of new season organic apples two days ago. She took one to school yesterday and I asked last night if she enjoyed it. She told me she never ate it. I asked where it was and she informed me that she threw it in the trash as it had fallen out of her bag and rolled on the floor.

I was pleased that she didn't eat it as it was - but she should have washed it or brought it home to be washed. I would have peeled it if necessary! Kids sometimes get so well trained not to eat "dirty" food that they take it to the other extreme I guess. I would totally have fished it out of the trash and brought it home and taken the skin off though ;)

eeyorethegreat
01-28-2012, 08:45 AM
At my DD's insistence I purchased a bag of new season organic apples two days ago. She took one to school yesterday and I asked last night if she enjoyed it. She told me she never ate it. I asked where it was and she informed me that she threw it in the trash as it had fallen out of her bag and rolled on the floor.

I was pleased that she didn't eat it as it was - but she should have washed it or brought it home to be washed. I would have peeled it if necessary! Kids sometimes get so well trained not to eat "dirty" food that they take it to the other extreme I guess. I would totally have fished it out of the trash and brought it home and taken the skin off though ;)

And veering OT as this thread seems to be doing anyway.. Anyone ever take the time to look into what is allowed into our food before we even get it or the practices allowed in the preparation of the food we eventually get? Our food is definitely not "clean food".
ETA not singling out the above pp just the bolded words.

North of Mouse
01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I know lots of people with dogs/cats that babies and children share the floor, toys, and yes, sometimes food. I've seen them lick the babies/children's faces. Do you know where those doggie/kitty mouths have been? Also, the same children do not usually wash their hands after playing with the pets before they eat. Some of these same mothers that are so out raged at some responding to OP's post may actually have pets in their house. I never have (by choice, no flaming from pet owners - no problem with me, just making a point), but we did have an outdoor dog well housed and in fenced yard. My children always had to wash their hands before eating, but I'm sure their hands made their way to their faces before that ;) Also, a good point from PP, if you eat out you don't know what you're getting :scared1: My son worked at a Bojangles chicken place and he wouldn't tell me what all he saw because he said I'd never eat it again :eek: Just sayin' :confused3

2Tiggies
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
And veering OT as this thread seems to be doing anyway.. Anyone ever take the time to look into what is allowed into our food before we even get it or the practices allowed in the preparation of the food we eventually get? Our food is definitely not "clean food".
ETA not singling out the above pp just the bolded words.

You made a very valid point. And I never thought for a moment that you had singled me out :goodvibes

kinntj
01-28-2012, 03:24 PM

FWIW My DH doesn't understand my hatred of pop tarts either, he thinks I am crazy. I would rather starve. I agree with you on something.;) I think that poptart belongs in the trash or not bought at all. No loss there.

I never said my kids were perfect but they do NOT eat off the floor regardless of where the floor is.:lmao: My kids were also supervised while eating as a toddler so they did not get the chance to drop it on the floor and pick it back up.

Do you know the things you can walk through and bring back to your own houses/floors?? :sick:

Just because you are a germ phobe, doesn't make everyone else one. :confused3 If you work for the CDC and had some real solid evidence that a percentage of deaths or illnesses are caused by trash germs, then you might have something. You are just trying to save the World from those germy garbage cans. :) I can dig that. :hippie:

snowy76
01-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Guess there's not a whole lot of freeganism on the DIS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NUdbsL2n4

BTW, the kitchen sink repeatedly proves to be THE dirtiest place in the house.

luvthemouse71
01-28-2012, 10:15 PM
:thumbsup2 yes, we have a lot of germaphobes on the DIS. Regarding the Pop Tart in the trash..I would just have the kid pay for what he/ she threw away or just not buy them anymore.

Princesca
01-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Oh pfft. Bacteria is good for you! Builds up a healthy immune system. :thumbsup2

I'd eat that Pop Tart, if I ate Pop Tarts. For heaven's sake, I'm sure we've all eaten much worse even going out for dinner. Just yesterday I was at BD's Mongolian Grill, observing how their teppanyaki chefs take your bowl of raw ingredients, oftentimes putting their fingers in the bowl when they grab it, then use those same hands to grab up your clean plate to scoop the food onto when it's done. If you live in a big city, you're even more exposed. I used to work at an upscale B&B in Boston, and the chef there told me that Boston restaurants were allowed a certain number of mouse dropping occurrences by the board of health because it was simply just inescapable in the city.

Frankly, you're in far more danger from the high fructose corn syrup and chemicals in a Pop Tart than it looks like you'd be from the cleanliness of the item in this particular case.

Princesca
01-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Guess there's not a whole lot of freeganism on the DIS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NUdbsL2n4

BTW, the kitchen sink repeatedly proves to be THE dirtiest place in the house.

And computer keyboards, I've read. :surfweb: