PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay for child care?

Laurawill
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
For the past year I have been watching my niece and nephew from 730-430 daily. For this my sister pays me $75 per child per week ($15/day). The children are age 2 (still in diapers) and age 3. I feel like I'm giving her a great deal, but she is treating me like I'm ripping her off. I thought full-day day care ran more in the $25-30/ per day range. Am I off my rocker for feeling like she either needs to treat me better or pay me more?:confused3

debf
01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
My brother and sister in law pay $40 a day for their son. He is 2 and almost potty trained. I think you are giving your sister a pretty good price.

Bbbethei
01-23-2012, 06:34 PM
You're going to find a wide range of responses because it really varies regionally. I live in a fairly low cost of living area and paid over twice that for my daycare. Granted, it was an actual center rather than somebody's home, but you certainly aren't out of line with your price.

Laurawill
01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. That makes sense that it would vary by region, so I guess it might be helpful if I note I'm in central California.

Shanna-like-Banana
01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
we live near Columbia, SC

We only have 1 child in full time daycar right now, he's 4 and potty trained, we pay $130 a week for him

Afterschool for our Kinder is $43 a week.

Or middleschooler, dosen't need after school care.

But just last year, we were paying $130 a week for each boy, they give parents a $10 a week discount for families, so we were paying $250 a week.

When our middleschooler was being picked up by their mini-bus for afterschool care, her's was an add $50 a week,

So $300 total at that point.

I think you are being very generous with your sis, tomorrow if you happen to have time, I'd call around a few places and ask what their rates are :)

sherry7
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I think this is going to vary widely depending on where you live. I'd call around to a few local places and ask about their rates.

I'm in PA, and I pay $29 per day (equals $145 week) for a young toddler, from 6:30 to 4:30 at a daycare center.

VAfamily1998
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I think not only does it depend on what region you are in, but also, what are you doing while you babysit them?

Home daycare providers typically will have a schedule they follow, will teach the kids (colors, numbers, letters, etc.), have circle time, art projects, etc. They don't bring the kids with them while they run errands like going to the grocery store or let the kids watch tv so they can wash dishes or fold laundry. If they are liscenced they'll have to deal with inspections (scheduled, and unanounced) and will often be out of pocket money to comply with regulations.

If these are all things that you do too, then I would say you should get paid the same as the typical home day care in your area...
But if you don't, I do think your sister is correct in thinking she should pay less than a liscenced home daycare provider...though, $15 a day sounds VERY low to me...

Laurawill
01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
I think not only does it depend on what region you are in, but also, what are you doing while you babysit them?

Home daycare providers typically will have a schedule they follow, will teach the kids (colors, numbers, letters, etc.), have circle time, art projects, etc. They don't bring the kids with them while they run errands like going to the grocery store or let the kids watch tv so they can wash dishes or fold laundry. If they are liscenced they'll have to deal with inspections (scheduled, and unanounced) and will often be out of pocket money to comply with regulations.

If these are all things that you do too, then I would say you should get paid the same as the typical home day care in your area...
But if you don't, I do think your sister is correct in thinking she should pay less than a liscenced home daycare provider...though, $15 a day sounds VERY low to me...

We do participate in a preschool co-op and we generally have about 1 hour of structured craft/singing/play time a day. They do get to watch TV for about 30 minutes in the morning and then again for 30 minutes to wind down before naps. I do some household chores during the day, but usually it is during nap time, or during their TV time (I clean up lunch when they watch Caillou and sometimes start dinner in the crockpot), and usually I unload the dishwasher during their morning TV time. We also go to the park about once a week. I'm not licensed though, so I know that would reduce my rate.

budafam
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I watch 2 kids part time. One is 18 months old and I charge $3 an hour for him (his hours vary) and the other is 2 months old and I charge $40 per day (these are full days from 7:30-5:15). I would think in California prices would be much higher.

Mom_Rides
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
We pay $150 a week for DD's preschool. She is in a Pre-K class from 9-1130 and extended care before and after. Lunch and two snacks is included in the cost. This is her first year in the program.

Previously, she was with a babysitter. She charged us $3 an hour and we had to send lunch and snacks.

grafxgirl
01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
For our 8 year old daughter we pay a neighbor 75 dollars a week to keep her for an hour in the morning before getting her on the bus and an hour and a half in the evenings after getting her off the bus. My 5 year old son attends the pre-school program at the pre-school that I teach. I get a 50 percent discount, so I only pay 130 per week for him. He's at the school from about 7:45-4:45. Anyone else who is not an employee of the school pays 260 per week per child. FYI, this location is a little less than an hour drive to Washington DC.

zeferjen
01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
We have two kids in daycare. It is open from 7-7. I pay 2400 per month.

clm10308
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I can't imagine that she could find any daycare center that would charge her less than $100 per kid even with sibling discounts. To get a better idea of what costs are in your area, you can call around to different centers and ask what the rates would be for a 2yr old and 3yr old.

Just for your info. I live in a very rural area of New Mexico in a small town where making $10 per hour is a good job. I watch my neighbors baby for $3.50 hr. when my son was little and we lived in Texas, he went to a daycare subsidized by my company and I paid $125 per week for full time. That was 7 yrs ago.

scrapquitler
01-23-2012, 07:47 PM
For the past year I have been watching my niece and nephew from 730-430 daily. For this my sister pays me $75 per child per week ($15/day). The children are age 2 (still in diapers) and age 3. I feel like I'm giving her a great deal, but she is treating me like I'm ripping her off. I thought full-day day care ran more in the $25-30/ per day range. Am I off my rocker for feeling like she either needs to treat me better or pay me more?:confused3

If she thinks you are ripping her off, suggest that she call around and price other places. Daycare costs vary hugely by region, so what is normal where you are might be very different from where I am. You might want to mention to her the advantages for tge kids that you are a close relative watching them ( including that you are probably willing to watch them while they are sick, while another provider probably wouldn't)

Personally, I wouldn't want to commit myself to watching 2 kids for 50 hours a week for $150, relatives or not.

I paid my own MOTHER $75 a DAY to watch my child one full day a week for several years. I think your SIL is getting a huge bargain.

Macprincess
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm in FL. I pay $160.00 a month for afterschool care for my 8 year old. She is only there an hour a day but could stay from 3-6pm. It's the same cost if she is there 5 min or 3 hours.

When my children were pre-school age we lived in southern CA and I paid $150.00 a week for full time care at a child care center. When they were babies-tots I paid $200 a week in a home day care with a 2-1 ratio.

I think your sister is getting a great deal!

Fjobe
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
It depends on the region. The state I live in has cheap daycare compared to many other states. DH and I pay $350 total every 2 weeks for our 3 & 5 year old. We provide our own lunches. That price is with a $10/week discount for the oldest child and a $5/week discount for automatic draft. It is a huge amount for us, and we have a good income for our area. Our monthly expenses for daycare are greater than our mortgage by a couple hundred.

If you added the discounts back in, it would be $19 per child each day. Our daycare is open 6-6.

GOOFY4DONALD
01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
For the past year I have been watching my niece and nephew from 730-430 daily. For this my sister pays me $75 per child per week ($15/day). The children are age 2 (still in diapers) and age 3. I feel like I'm giving her a great deal, but she is treating me like I'm ripping her off. I thought full-day day care ran more in the $25-30/ per day range. Am I off my rocker for feeling like she either needs to treat me better or pay me more?:confused3Don't feel bad. When I was a SAHM I watched my infant niece (4wks old until age 1). Her shifts varied and it was either 7am to 4pm OR 1pm until 10pm. Since I lived right outside of town I transported roughly 90% of the time. I charged only 10.00 per day and she paid me about 50% of the time. She still bit my head off whenever she had to drive to my house to get her. It was just too much for me and I had to quit.

DISdreamin'
01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
When our kids were little, we paid about $170 a week each for full-time daycare. Now that they are older, it is $35 per day for full-day (when school is out) so little ones would be about $200 per week.

And color me REALLY glad we aren't in Princeton. :scared1::scared1::scared1: $2400 a month?!? Boy, zeferjen, that takes the cake. Where is the emoticon for flopping over in a dead faint?!?!

sookie
01-23-2012, 08:29 PM

I pay 135 dollars per week per child.

okeydokey
01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
You are giving her a great deal. She should make some calls to other places and see what they are charging. She will gladly pay you then.

heartsy77
01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm a licensed daycare provider and I charge $140 a week in rural Upstate NY; which is fairly reasonable region for childcare.

Pigeon
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
You really should compare yourself to other unlicensed in-home daycares in your area, because all these other figures are irrelevant. Around here, centers are much more expensive than in-home daycare, and licensed providers are significantly more expensive than unlicensed.

But, it sounds to me like you don't think you're adequately compensated for what you do, which is your answer right there, particularly if you don't need this job.

RachelsMommie
01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
When my sister watched my daughter from 3months old until 4 years old, I paid $1000 a month. As my daughter got older, she started attending preschool, which I paid in addition to the $1000/month to my sister. So she didn't have to watch her as much, but she got paid the same...instead of a raise, she got less work for the same money.

Laurawill
01-23-2012, 09:24 PM
But, it sounds to me like you don't think you're adequately compensated for what you do, which is your answer right there, particularly if you don't need this job.

:thumbsup2
This!!!! You are so right! I DESERVE adequate compensation and if I'm not going to get it I need to let them go. It will probably improve family relations in the long run.

Thanks everyone for all your help and input I really appreciate it.

AZMermaid
01-23-2012, 09:35 PM
I pay $165 a week for my 16 month old son at a small daycare/preschool for 3 days full day (open 7-5:30, I usually go 7:30-4:30). So, I guess that is $55 a day. This is about average for centers in my area (Phoenix). In home daycares run in the same ball park, maybe a little less. My unlicensed friends charge between $8-10/hr for one child and $12-15/hr for two kids to watch them in their home with their own child, but I feel like that is high and I can't afford that on my teacher's salary. I think I could probably find a respectable, caring, responsible undocumented worker to watch him for about $5 an hour, but I would want a referral and I can't seem to tap into that market!

Next year I will be using the school district daycare for my 2 kids, 6 months and 2 years and paying $115 a week, per child, for similar times, 3 days a week. But, I get a 30% discount for being a district employee, so I feel like that is a smoking deal and that is still almost $40 a day.

MSLRAC
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
We live in western NC and pay $110 a week per kid for our two youngest to go to a 5 star preschool/pre-k program, 5 days per week from 8-5. That also includes breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks per day.

disney*mom*82
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
My DD4 has had 3 different providers this year.

1 comes to our house from 8:30-12:30, 2 days a week- I pay her $40/wk
1 is a small Christian Preschool, 9-11:30, 2 days a week- I pay her $82/mo

Last semester she went to a pre-k lab at the college I teach at she didnt like it, so that is why she now has a babysitter come to our house. It was
8:45-4, 2 days a week for $44/wk (that was a discount)

Natalie's Mommy
01-23-2012, 10:37 PM
im a daycare provider in upstate NY and i charge $120 a week for 3 days but my hours are flexable.

cari12
01-23-2012, 10:45 PM
You are the one being ripped off and she is getting a great deal! Essentially $300 per month per child for full daycare!!! The going rate would be more than double that. I pay $200 per month just for before school care (7-9 am).

MickeyHereWeCome!
01-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Here in MD, I charge $175 per week for my preschoolers (I am licensed). That breaks down to $35/day. Licensed or not..$15/day is a steal!

teacherlisa1978
01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm in Seattle. For my 20 month old I pay $45/day for 3 days a week. It goes down to $38/day once he's potty trained. This is a licensed home daycare.

mom2tah
01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
I work at a Preschool in Orange County California. Our tuition is as follows:

Infant Care $950 per month

Once potty trained it goes to:

$679 per month for 5 full days per week

The price includes lunch and two snacks. I think your sister is getting a steal.

When my middle daughter was a baby I paid my neighbor at a licensed home daycare $125 per week and that was over 12 years ago!

SamSam
01-24-2012, 12:34 AM
My daughter pays $1,000 a month for her year old twins in a private day care home (Northern Utah). Your sister is getting a great deal! I used to do the same thing for family members (many years ago) and I don't think they ever realized or appreciated what I was doing for them.

lindsmom
01-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Massachusetts here - state reimbursement rates are around $24 per day. When I was a family provider (until last year), I charged $38 per day, included diapers. Now with my two year old I pay $225 per week for 4 days (would be $250 for 5 days).

The 4 "Quay"balleros
01-24-2012, 06:49 AM

For daycare for my youngest it is $535 a month no matter how many weeks( a daycare we used to use would charge different prices per month depending on how many weeks). For my oldest who is in 1st grade- beforecare is $6/day, aftercare is $9/day and aftercare on a 1/2 day is $18.

RadioFanatic
01-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Can you please watch my son? I pay $1006 a month!

Chiker9
01-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I live in central Vermont and I paid $130.00 a week when my youngest daughter was in preschool (2 years ago). It was kind of a hybrid center/home daycare-there were 2 main teachers in her room with education degrees and 1 younger woman who came in once the school-age children came for after school care. You are giving your sister a terrific deal!!

bettymae1121
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
My friends pay about $30 per day per child to a woman that watches the kids in her home. But she's supper flexable, if you only need her 1 or 2 days a week, she's fine with that and only charges for the days she watches your kids. We may use her and would only need her 3-4 days a week depending on DH's schedule each quarter (his days off shift 4 times a year). If we decide to go that route, we'd wind up paying $90 to $120 a week for one child.

maraki527
01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
My daughter has been going to the same sitter since she was 3 months old. I have always paid $150 a week. I supply diapers and formula (at that time). I never had to bring snacks or any other food. We live in Ohio. She is there from 8:15 to 4:15

ceemys
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
I pay $100 a week for my 4.5 year old. 7:30 to 4:30. My daughter is gone 4 hours a day for three days for school, which my sitter takes her and picks her up. I think I have an awesome set up and and awesome sitter that turned into an awesome friend.

brettcw23
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM

I have used both a relative and currently Day Care...your prices are a steal for your family.

1. Pirces are higher based on the age of the child. The price decreases as the child gets older.
2. There is usually a discount based on multiple kids in Day Care.

New born thru 2 year old: $1013
2-3 year olds: $725 (3 days) FT is $982
4-5 year olds (Pre-K age): $692 (3 days) FT is $935

They offer a 10% discount on siblings.

These prices are for the month.

Anthony1971
01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
In Northern NJ prices varied from 1200 a month down to 950 the lower cost places are part of a church and closed on certain holidays. No one charged a day rate as if they were closed for hoilday, reapirs, snow, child sick, child on vacation etc you still pay the same amount. prices are around 100-150 more when not potty trained.
Friends in NYC lets say 1200 was cheap and potty trained.

KarenAylwood
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Based on what my friends pay I'd say our area (populated area of VA) would be around $150-200/week.

How about you ask your sister to call around and find prices and you'll charge her x% below the average? You'll probably be getting a big pay raise :lmao:

In all seriousness I'd be a little miffed if my sister was accusing me of ripping her off, and I'd also call around myself. I think you're giving her a great deal!

Laurawill
01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I decided to let her know I felt I deserved a raise. In calling around the cheapest rate I have found for full day care for a toddler still in diapers is $150/per week for the one still in diapers and $125 for potty trained.

What really brought it to a head is when I did my taxes and realized the difference it makes in my taxes even after taking all the business deductions I can. It still made about a $1300 difference on the bottom line for me. It just isn't worth it to my and my family for me to be taken advantage of. So last night I called and let her know that things need to change. I told her rates are going up and I will likely be getting a job when my daughter starts school in the fall. I just can't help them out when it is causing me to have negative feelings toward them. It isn't worth the family relationship being severed. She was upset that I let myself get to a boiling point about it, and I know that she feels like I am putting her in a corner, but I did let her know that if she wants to make other arrangements I totally understand.

indimom
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Licensed in-home day care provider (yes, my kids are napping ;)). I charge $100 a week per child. The centers here charge $130-175, depending on the age of the child.

Honestly, the going rate isn't the issue.
You have a business arrangement, if either of you are unhappy with the situation as it stands, you need to make alternative arrangments.
Problem solved.

For the record, I provided day care for ten of my nieces and nephews over the years. My sisters NEVER acted this way, they treated me like the professional I am. Your sis is being a bit rude if you ask me. Just because you are family doesn't mean you work for free (or peanuts). Your time and energy does have value and you get to decide what that value is.

ETA: I just saw your update (we were posting at the same time). Good for you !!

goofyboyzmom
01-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Lets just put it this way: Your sister has a loving, trusted relative who loves her children watching them everyday so that she can go make a living. How much does SHE make - that she should try to make you feel guilty for trying to make a living. Even if you are already home, your time is valuable. Compare: $15/9 = $1.66 -- $1.66/2 = $.83. That is what you are making per hour, per kid. Here in Michigan you can work at McDonalds for $7.25 per hour -- you would only have to work less than 3 hours a day (with taxes taken out) and still make more.

I don't want to sound rude but I did this for 20 years. People want to pay the least amount of their money for the most important things in their lives. But they don't blink an eye at lunch out everyday -- a Starbucks coffee averages $4-$5 -- vacations -- etc. People do not appreciate what they have.

okeydokey
01-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I decided to let her know I felt I deserved a raise. In calling around the cheapest rate I have found for full day care for a toddler still in diapers is $150/per week for the one still in diapers and $125 for potty trained.

What really brought it to a head is when I did my taxes and realized the difference it makes in my taxes even after taking all the business deductions I can. It still made about a $1300 difference on the bottom line for me. It just isn't worth it to my and my family for me to be taken advantage of. So last night I called and let her know that things need to change. I told her rates are going up and I will likely be getting a job when my daughter starts school in the fall. I just can't help them out when it is causing me to have negative feelings toward them. It isn't worth the family relationship being severed. She was upset that I let myself get to a boiling point about it, and I know that she feels like I am putting her in a corner, but I did let her know that if she wants to make other arrangements I totally understand.

Good for you. I am sure that was not an easy conversation to have.

tink_n_pooh
01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I happen to have pricing for one of the local child care places right in front of me.

The 2 year old would be $234 a week (5 days)
The 3 year old would be $199 a week (5 days)

Shleedogg
01-25-2012, 04:01 PM
That's an awesome price. My SIL has run an in-home daycare for at least 20 years (she's the oldest sibling, my DH youngest, 20 yr difference in age). She charges $25/day, this includes lunch and a snack; diapers or not. For family, she charges half that a day, per kid. She watches my DD once a week (I'm a SAHM) so I can have some downtime. We pay $12.50 a day. I have a job interview tonight for one of my dream jobs and she's willing to take both my girls for the PT hours, 15-20/wk. So I'll end up paying $25/day for her to have my potty trained three year old and my 9 month old who is of course, still in diapers. I would just have an honest conversation with your sister about how she's acting and how it's making you feel. Maybe she feels you should be doing it for free? Now, I don't agree with that at all but perhaps that's how she feels. I think your prices (along with my SIL's) are very generous! I'm so grateful to my SIL, we always make sure to give her a nice Christmas gift even though we don't buy for DH's other 6 siblings.

dgr1973
01-25-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't want to sound rude but I did this for 20 years. People want to pay the least amount of their money for the most important things in their lives. But they don't blink an eye at lunch out everyday -- a Starbucks coffee averages $4-$5 -- vacations -- etc. People do not appreciate what they have.

:thumbsup2 You have summed it up perfectly! I also do home daycare and I feel the same way. Sometimes I think if these parents think they are being charged too much maybe they should just stay home with their own kids. I will say however the familes I watch accepted my rate and have never complained but I know others that have to deal with parents nickel and diming about everything!

Starclassic
01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm a babysitter. I watch an 8 year old boy 5 days a week, about 2-3 hours a day. I watch him after he gets off the bus from school until his mom comes home from work. I get $100 per week ($20 each day).

englishteacha
01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I have a friend whose child care center charges $300 a week for any in diapers, $250 for potty trained children. This is a licensed child care center with certified teachers/early childhood professionals in New Hampshire.

daughtersrus
01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
:thumbsup2 You have summed it up perfectly! I also do home daycare and I feel the same way. Sometimes I think if these parents think they are being charged too much maybe they should just stay home with their own kids. I will say however the familes I watch accepted my rate and have never complained but I know others that have to deal with parents nickel and diming about everything!

I'm also a home daycare provider going on 20 years. My daily rate is $34/day for full time and $40 a day for part time (minimum of 3 days/week).

I claim all of my income on my taxes (of course I take the legitimate deductions) as every business should. I've had mostly great families but on occasion had some that complain. What gets me is that some of the ones that complained had my DD's babysit for them for date night. My DD's made more money the few hours that they watched the kid than I did the entire 11 hours that they were in my care.

dgr1973
01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
My DD's made more money the few hours that they watched the kid than I did the entire 11 hours that they were in my care.

Ain't that the truth! My oldest dd babysits and she too makes more money for a few hours then I do for a whole day! I think there is something wrong with this picture:laughing: I do enjoy babysitting, it allows me to be home for my kids before and after school but sometimes it would be nice to have some adult interaction!

goofyboyzmom
01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm also a home daycare provider going on 20 years. My daily rate is $34/day for full time and $40 a day for part time (minimum of 3 days/week).

I claim all of my income on my taxes (of course I take the legitimate deductions) as every business should. I've had mostly great families but on occasion had some that complain. What gets me is that some of the ones that complained had my DD's babysit for them for date night. My DD's made more money the few hours that they watched the kid than I did the entire 11 hours that they were in my care.

DITTO!! My kids made a fortune at night for the same people I sat for. They loved it. The parents knew they had a good thing though - and paid well to keep it! :thumbsup2

tinkerbell423
01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
People want to pay the least amount of their money for the most important things in their lives. But they don't blink an eye at lunch out everyday -- a Starbucks coffee averages $4-$5 -- vacations -- etc. People do not appreciate what they have.

I agree with this. I have worked in day care centers and as a Nanny. There are so many people looking for a bargin price for child care.

Now I watch my toddler neice and put my school aged neice on the bus for $25 a day. I am not annoyed by the amount they pay me, I am annoyed that when they watched my DD who was a preschooler at the time they charged me $30 and then raised it to $35. I also think it is becoming detrimental to our relationship because I am starting to feel annoyed about things they do.