PDA

View Full Version : What laundry detergent do you use?

Goofycampers
01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
We have a front load washer and I have always used tide but it's pricey. What kind do you use? And if you have used tide how does it compare? Thanks just trying to cut the budget anyway I can!

SaraJayne
01-23-2012, 03:47 PM
We use All Free and Clear.

I've tried Tide in the past and aside from being :scared1: expensive, it has a very strong scent and soaped too much for my HE machine (even with the HE detergent).

DisneyCowgirl
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
We use Purex. It's pretty cheap. But I'm not sure it compares well to Tide. Kids and I both break out terribly with Tide, but I understand it cleans the best.

Joan S.
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi, I use TIDE HE Sport,but I only use about HALF the recommended amount for a full load. I usually purchase it at Target when it is on sale (like this week) and I have a coupon. :) Joan

Fjobe
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
We use Arm & Hammer. It's $8 for 96 loads, and it comes with a pour spout instead of a push buttom spout which I've come to prefer with my front loader. A lady at work who is picky about clothing for herself and her children told me she used it, so I decided to give it a try. It is cheaper than the Wal-Mart store brand. Before having kids I used Gain, then my son was allergic to Gain (we used Dreft for the first year). I switched to All Free and Clear for about 6 years. Then, I switched to Era for about a year, and finally for the last year I've been using the Arm & Hammer. I plan to stick with the Arm and Hammer as it is the best value for the product (that I've found).

scrapquitler
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I use whatever brand I can find cheap (I usually use SUN or a brand called ULTRA, they might be a store's generic one, I'm not sure, otherwise I buy the Walmart Brand detergent). I also only use 1/4 cup per load, which is probably half or less than what is recommended. I have a top loader.

phred52
01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
I make my own for our front loading washer. Fels Naptha, washing soda and borax. Works terrific! I also use white vinegar for softener. Had to switch from TIDE and Downy when dd was diagnosed with eczema. She grew up, moved out and but STILL use that! :thumbsup2

ready123go
01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Tide. On sale with coupon. Tried Gain, Cheer (prefer Cheer's scent) and a few others. DH is at construction sites all day and Tide works best for our dirt.

llindem
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Tide

sherry7
01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
I like Sears brand detergent. I prefer the powdered variety (HE), but it also comes in liquid. The powdered is less expensive per load. The normal price is $24 for 180 loads, but it goes on sale for around $15 or $16 a couple of times a year.

You can buy it online, but the shipping charges are high. I buy it in the store. Very odd, but it's sold in the hardware department. :confused3

Link:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03209879000P?blockNo=1&blockType=G1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1327364074460

Alexander
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I can get away with the cheaper brands in the winter months when the kids aren't playing soccer, lacrosse or running cross country. But when they are out in the dirt and grass and mud all day there is nothing that cleans as well as Tide. In the winter when there is snow and they are either inside or in snowpants, I can use Purex or whatever is on sale.

We always use Tide HE Cold Water and use about half of what is recommended in our front loader.

Sadie22
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Wisk HE. No other brands.

Alexander
01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Oxyclean helps a lot too. You could try throwing in a scoop of that with whatever detergent you use. During lacrosse, I have to use Oxyclean and Tide.

mousefan1972
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Tide HE. I also watch for sales and use coupons. It is expensive, but works the best.

pumba21
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I usually buy all, gain, tide, or wisk. Depends on what i have a coupon for and what cvs or wags has on sale. But Wisk is by far my favorite!!! I have tried arm and hammer but I don't like it at all

tar heel
01-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Whatever I can get the best deal on among Tide, Gain, Cheer, All, Arm and Hammer, Purex, Wisk and probably a couple more I'm missing. I rarely pay more than $3. I don't care for Sun or another cheap one in a big bottle (can't remember name). I keep a tub of generic Oxyclean and throw in a scoop for towels and things that are real dirty.

There was a $2 Tide coupon two or three weeks ago. That and a sale will give you a pretty good deal on Tide.

kydisneyfans
01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Tide is about the only thing we are 100% brand loyal to. I am allergic to many other detergents.

Kroger had the 32 load containers for $4.99 the past few weeks, with $2 off coupons, we bought 12 for $2.99 each. We won't need detergent until 2013 now.

ilovemk76
01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
We have a front load washer and I have always used tide but it's pricey. What kind do you use? And if you have used tide how does it compare? Thanks just trying to cut the budget anyway I can!

We use Tide Free HE and only enough to cover the cap. Way less than is recommended. The detergent lasts a long time. We also use a small amount of Colorx2 HE with the detergent and then vinegar for the fabric softener.

firecracker725
01-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I make my own too, and it works great! I used the Duggar's recipe. :)

North of Mouse
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM

I use whatever I can get the best deal on with coupons (of the major brands - not store brands) and have never had one complaint. I raised 2 boys, 1 girl and always pre-treated stains with Shout (or similar) and never had any problems with stains not coming out - also use cold water always. Have had a front loader for 11 years and just use less of whatever I have if it's not HE (I do not stick with HE only and have never had 1 issue with my washers).

Aryanna&BiancasMommy
01-23-2012, 07:07 PM
I typically use All Free and Clear. However, I also have bought regular All and Tide... Didn't care too much for Purex as I didn't feel that it cleaned well. I use way less than the recommended amount... Now if I could only get dh to learn to use less... He tries to help, but he does not understand you don't have to use the max load in the HE detergent to get our clothes clean LOL

DawnM
01-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I use the same with a front loader.

Dawn

I make my own for our front loading washer. Fels Naptha, washing soda and borax. Works terrific! I also use white vinegar for softener. Had to switch from TIDE and Downy when dd was diagnosed with eczema. She grew up, moved out and but STILL use that! :thumbsup2

The Running Ann
01-23-2012, 07:09 PM
For a long time, I've used Tide (HE) and just use very little of it, even as little as a fourth or a third of the recommended amount. This is usually fine unless something is very dirty. I also think that the lesser amount of detergent is better for the clothes since there is less soap build up.

In the past, I have found that if I switched to a less expensive detergent, I ended up using more and there was really no savings.

100AcreWood
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
I wait for a sale at Sears and buy a huge box of their HE detergent. It's awesome and it normally lasts 6 months or more. We run a load at day at least.

Also, I use less than recommended.

KDIPIAZZ
01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I wait for a sale at Sears and buy a huge box of their HE detergent. It's awesome and it normally lasts 6 months or more. We run a load at day at least.

Also, I use less than recommended.

I like Sears brand detergent. I prefer the powdered variety (HE), but it also comes in liquid. The powdered is less expensive per load. The normal price is $24 for 180 loads, but it goes on sale for around $15 or $16 a couple of times a year.

Another vote for Sears detergent from another who does at least one load per day. I buy 2 boxes a year. Can't recommend it enough and I switched from Persil, which is a high-end, very effective detergent.

eatatmidnight
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I normally buy All Free and Clear because it is the only "Free" detergent that does not serioulsy aggrivate my dd eczema. I had no idea that the homemade, with borax, would be ok for people with eczema.
Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Missy29
01-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Always use Tide.

charming23
01-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I use either All free and clear or Purex Clear. I have sensitivities to many detergents (Tide makes me break out in hives) and have found that these work best.

I use vinegar though as fabric softner

AllyBri
01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Arm and Hammer for sensitive skin.

rcraw45425
01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Tide for everything but DHs stuff. He seems to have become sensitive to it in the elastic of his underwear and in his shirts. For him I use Cheer Free. Tide for sheets and towels as it cleans better.

ZPT1022
01-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Rockin Green. I discovered it for my cloth diapers and it worked well and worked well with my HE machine so I started using it for everything. It gets all our clothes super clean, even DH's work clothes which can be gross at times. 1 tablespoon does an entire load so it lasts forever.

Evi
01-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Nellies laundry detergent. I've been using nellies for the last 5 years and wouldn't use another laundry detergent. I use method dryer sheets.

staceyhzoo
01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Charlies.

I started using it for cloth diapers and love it! Kiddos and DH have sensitive skin and it is one of few that doesn't make them itch.

Sandy321
01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Oxyclean helps a lot too. You could try throwing in a scoop of that with whatever detergent you use. During lacrosse, I have to use Oxyclean and Tide.

its harder and harder to find detergent with out that annoying "HE" designation and imho - it does not get clothes clean!

oxyclean, and borax do a great job boosting - but if I have to add booster, I go for cheap!

stargazer2892
01-24-2012, 12:33 AM
I use only use Tide for my clothes and DH's non work clothes simply because out of all the detergents I find it works the best, however i use WAY less then recommended and it will last the two of us about 7 months. For an extra large load I use less then the small load and I let all clothes soak at least 20 min. On Dh's work pants I find Arm and Hammer works well on the "food gunk" and helps them not smell as bad. I also use Oxyclean as a booster and on his pants vinegar as a softener. I also only use Downy but again way less then suggested. Now when DS comes I may switch over to a free and clear just for convenience of it.

phred52
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I normally buy All Free and Clear because it is the only "Free" detergent that does not serioulsy aggrivate my dd eczema. I had no idea that the homemade, with borax, would be ok for people with eczema.
Would you mind sharing your recipe?

It's easy. I make a batch with 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing soda (found in the laundry aisle) and 2 bars fels naptha. I unwrap the fels naptha and let it sit and harden on a shelf ahead of time. ( I buy 2 bars and open them but use the 2 bars that have been sitting there while the prior batch gets used up)

Cut 1 bar of soap into smallish chunks and put that and 1 cup each of borax and washing soda into a food processor. Whirl it around till its all mixed up and fels naptha is teeny tiny pieces. Repeat. That's it. Use 1 tablespoon per load. If its a really big and dirty load of my DH's work clothes, I'll throw in 2 tablespoons.

ceemys
01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I make my own. Love it!! and super cheap. Borax, Washing soda, naptha and hot water. I also make my own dishwashing detergent.

A&Bmama
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I unwrap the fels naptha and let it sit and harden on a shelf ahead of time.

I use the same recipe and also let the bars harden!! I find drying the bars out in the open air causes them to grate into finer pieces that are more easily disolved in the wash water.

I much prefer the powdered version over the homemade liquid but the liquid is more economical.

For any Canadians reading, you can substitute sunlight laundry bar soap for the fels naptha since fels naptha is not available here. I have used both bars and both are very good. I prefer the fels naptha since the bar is a little larger and the soap is a little harder but if you preharden the sunlight soap it works very well in the powdered version. If you prefer to try the liquid recipe there is really no need to harden the soap.

girli565
01-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't have a front load washer but I use Wisk Deep Clean. It is the best detergent I've used in a long time. It is always on sale at Walmart and Target (the big bottle) and 4-5 times a year there's $1 off coupon in the sunday paper. i use it to spot treat and I even mix it with a bit of water in a spray bottle and use it like spray & wash. It's amazing!

billwendy
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I also make my own powdered- borax, washing soda, baking soda and a bar of dove grated and some generic oxyclean. I think I got the recipe on here 2 years ago! I use 2 Tbsp /load.

I have a top loader, but was wondering - how would you know if it was goot for a HE Machine and also for a septic system?

bettymae1121
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Costco's house brand Kirkland free and clear now that that the baby is almost here, prior to that we used Kirkland enviro-friendly, but that has perfume in it and we need uncented for the baby. Don't ask me what we pay, I just pick up a bottle when they have a coupon mailer for it! :) A bottle for the two of us lasts almost a year (we only use half the recomended amount and use baking soda as a booster).