PDA

View Full Version : those of you with expensive cars

Natalie's Mommy
01-23-2012, 12:39 PM
How do you afford the payments??

I need to get a bigger SUV with Madilyn coming sometime this summer (since i dont have 3rd row and its illegal to put a child under 12 in the front seat in NYS) but i'm really having a hard time with the cost of a bigger SUV. So i was wondering how those of you with more expensive cars afford the monthly payments? Do you finance for longer? huge down payment? or just have a huge car payment?

i'm from the camp of pay it off in 4 years and be done, and currently have a $450 car payment for my CRV which we will hopefully be paying off with my husband's stock buyout from his old company and our tax return so i can keep it. we don't have any money to put down this time either so i can't do that to lower my payment

I'm trying to find something used, but not having much luck so i may have to go new with this one

3BoysRDisneyFreaks
01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
this is when you stop looking at SUV and bite the bullet and get a mini van. You will appreciate the extra room. The SUV's with the 3rd rows leaves little room for carrying anything.

Sarah

*pixie*dust*
01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I have to agree with the previous poster. Time to look at a mini van.

canadianjovigirl
01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I drive a Lincoln Navigator, but bought it used and pay bi-weekly so it doesnt seem so much but even then the payments are less then $200 and it will be paid off in 2.5 more years (took out the loan for 5 years) but did add some extra to the principle when we got an unexpected bonus.

I refused to go back to a mini van not that my kids are older but sure needed the room as i cart around hockey bags and lacrosse equipment and extra kids all the time so needed the extra seating and space...........

budafam
01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I love my minivan. We haven't had to make a car payment in over 3 years and I don't EVER want to make another one for as long as I live. With that said, my husband is going to buy a car today. Right now he has a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse that has waaaay too much power. It was a fun toy but time to get something more family friendly. He's going to purchase a 2003 Audi A6. We will be able to sell his car and pay for most of it, the rest will be covered by our taxes. Thankfully my dad can loan us the money so we don't have to pay any interest.

With my first vehicle, I paid $350 a month for 4 years and I cannot imagine having to pay that now... you can buy houses for less than that!

Natalie's Mommy
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
this is when you stop looking at SUV and bite the bullet and get a mini van. You will appreciate the extra room. The SUV's with the 3rd rows leaves little room for carrying anything.

Sarah

I have to agree with the previous poster. Time to look at a mini van.

nice mini vans cost just as much if not more than a large SUV. I don't want to drive a mini van, or any vehicle im unhappy with so getting a cheap base model mini van would make me just miserable and i won't appreciate the extra room not everyone needs to go places with a small country of crap

I live in Upstate NY with harsh winters so giving up AWD is not something im willing to do.

deegack
01-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a Chevy traverse that I love. We always end up with big cars because dh is 6'7" and he doesn't fit in most cars. This time we ended up with a dealer car that had around 500 miles and we qualified for zero interest. It's just another factor in our budget. But since we take in foster kids we can go from one kid to four in a couple hours so the flexibility is nice.

budafam
01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
nice mini vans cost just as much if not more than a large SUV. I don't want to drive a mini van, or any vehicle im unhappy with so getting a cheap base model mini van would make me just miserable and i won't appreciate the extra room not everyone needs to go places with a small country of crap

I live in Upstate NY with harsh winters so giving up AWD is not something im willing to do.

If you're looking at buying brand new, you're going to have major payments no matter what you buy. Everyone is just trying to offer advice. If you won't be happy, then you'll have to swallow making big payments. :confused3

DZNEE4US
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I think it may be time for a van.
We had to get a van when I had twins. We already had a 4 year old, and there wasn't much else that would hold 3 car seats. We bought the Toyota Sierra with 3 movable seats in the middle row. For a while, we had all 3 kids in a row. Once they were a little older, we took out the middle seat, and my older child could sit alone in the back. I really didn't want to have a van, but I didn't have much of a choice. The larger SUVs where just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive.
I will now say that I absolutely LOVE my van, and I wouldn't know what to do without it.

DawnM
01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Well, you either put a large amount down, pay cash for the vehicle, or make the payments. There really isn't any other option.

I bought my 2004 Toyota Sequoia new. I put down $9,000 and we made payments of $400/mo for two years until we got a windfall and paid the darn thing off.

I never, ever wish to have car payments again.

The problem comes when we desire more than we can realistically afford. I don't know what your aversion is to a mini-van but when we looked at a Sequoia vs. a Sienna, the Sienna was a good $8,000 or so cheaper. It also got much better gas mileage.

The reason we went with a Sequoia was because:

1. We weren't in "no debt mode yet."
2. We both worked full time and had the funds.
3. DH wanted a Tundra for the towing capacity
4. I wanted a Sienna for the seating capacity
5. The Sequoia was our compromise.

I/We will never spend that much on a vehicle again.

Dawn

Natalie's Mommy
01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
If you're looking at buying brand new, you're going to have major payments no matter what you buy. Everyone is just trying to offer advice. If you won't be happy, then you'll have to swallow making big payments. :confused3

no one is offering advice everyone is telling me to buy something i don't want that is just as expensive as what i do want, so how does that answer my question of how do those of you with an expensive car afford it.

if i have to have a higher car payment i will, but im looking to see if there is some out of the box idea's on affording an expensive car without a huge payment that im missing

Julie*
01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I live in Northern Vermont and have been driving a mini van for years with no problems. Mine doesn't have AWD but it does have a trac system- good snow tires work wonders IMO.
My Dodge Grand Caravan was a year old when I bought it from the dealer and it is fully loaded. I paid $285.00 per month for 5 years. I think we only put 2K down on it and now I've been driving it w/o a payment for an additional 2 years. I did alot of price comparison then and found that SUV's were quite a bit more expensive but maybe that has changed.
Good luck.

StitchesGr8Fan
01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Not the best option, but you could finance it for 72 months.

bear_mom
01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
We test drove many different vehicles until we found exactly what we wanted (which did turn out to be a mini-van - drives fine in the snow). Then we looked around on-line and found one that was about a year old: 20,000'ish miles and saved about $12,000 off the new van price.

Emily

Tinker'n'Fun
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
no one is offering advice everyone is telling me to buy something i don't want that is just as expensive as what i do want, so how does that answer my question of how do those of you with an expensive car afford it.

if i have to have a higher car payment i will, but im looking to see if there is some out of the box idea's on affording an expensive car without a huge payment that im missing

They are offering you advice. It is very common to find much better deals on mini-vans than SUV's. Their prices are normally much less and the availability (which you are finding to be almost none for a SUV) will be much larger with a mini-van, as there are way more to choose from and you can work the price with the dealership.

No matter what anyone says though, you don't want a Mini-van and that is fine, but you asked and the bottom line for driving a larger vehicle and to make it specific to one type SUV, is it is EXPENSIVE.

You will have to pay for it, even for an older vehicle. In all of my vehicle purchasing experiences, you are looking for something that doesn't exist. Hopefully someone here can offer you some advice you are looking for, but I think the bottom line is it doesn't really exist. Sorry.

Hope you get the vehicle you want and enjoy it.:)

momxx5
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I think that on this board most people try to find a "happy solution" to any problem.....thus steering you towards the mini-van.

(which btw has about 6+ inches more leg room in 3rd row than a suburban~ I measured~ has sliding doors which make putting infant carseats in easier than opeing a big SUV door at risk hitting car next to you ~ less space in back for stroller, groceries, etc ~ many vans come with front wheel drive or some even 4WD ~ access to third row is easier in van rather than having to fold down 2nd row seat and crawl into back......but I digress)

Anyway.....back to OP's original question. Most people on budget board purchase what they can afford......SO if havng a more expensive vehicle is what they want/need, then it is because they can afford the higher payments. Most people on here are about living within your means....so if they are driving an expensive SUV its because they are comfortable making the payments or have saved a lot for a large downpayment!

Maybe checkout the Family Forum for ideas on how others stretch it so they can get a more expensive ride.....they might have some "out of the box" thinking.
Good luck and Congrats on your new addition.

(a van driver for over 20 years.....having 5 kids, a nice van and still enjoyed all the comforts that a luxury vehicle would of had)

LoriKutchey
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
You either have the money to make the payments or you don't. Simple as that. If you cannot make the payments then you have to buy something you CAN afford.

DisneyMomma81
01-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I will never buy a brand new vehicle, a few years old will save lots of money.

robinb
01-23-2012, 01:28 PM

There is no magic bullet. People afford "expensive" cars by either (1) having a comfortably high income or (2) buying a used car or (3) burdening themselves with high monthly payments. Apparently #1 and #2 are both out, so if you insist on buying an "expensive" car you'll need to cough up for huge monthly payments.

ICF
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
You either have the money to make the payments or you don't. Simple as that. If you cannot make the payments then you have to buy something you CAN afford.

The above is your answer.

There is no magic solution.....you need to figure out how much you can afford to pay each month and then determine what type of SUV (or Mini - van) you can afford with that payment.

Asking how someone can do afford the payments on a new car it isn't going to get you an answer.....as some people might make $30K a year and others $300K...some might have a trade in to use, a family discount, borrow money from family or have enough saved up to just pay cash. Their method of paying for a car is most likely not going to be what works for you.

IUTBAM
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Define "expensive"?

My DH bought a new truck in July for around $25,000 (which we thought was a great bargain for a truck that seats 5 and has 4 WD). We paid cash, which we took out of our savings. I don't like car payments.

What others have said sums it up...you either put down more money, pay cash, or have large payments. There is no "secret formula" that I know of.

Green Tea
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
If you are going to finance look for the lowest interest rate, for sure. That will lower the payments. Penfed has 1.99% on cars and 1.49% on cars purchased thru Enterprise. The 1.99% is for new or used cars, from 12 to 48 months.

Asking folks how they afford it isn't really going to help you though. There are no secrets. If a car costs $25K, its going to cost me $25K, you $25K and another poster the same.

bettymae1121
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sympathetic, OP. I drive around and look at all the expensive cars on the road and wonder how people do it too!. I'm shoping for a new(ish) car that I hope to buy at the end of 2012 and even putting half down, I still can only afford a car less than $20k. And DH and I make good money! Of course our definition of "afford" is a bit different than some I suppose, I refuse to have a car payment longer than 36 months ever again so that limits us somewhat, but still...I see cars on the road for $30k and higher and I know the average household income isn't all that high in my area.

Play with the numbers a bit, maybe adding another year to the loan will make the difference? If you plan on keeping the car for a long, long time and get a decent interest rate, it won't make that much difference in the end.

angierae
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Your current car payment is more than 2x my current car payment, so I could ask you the same question - how do you afford your car payment?

You afford your car payment by budgeting for it and not buying more car than you can afford. I have no idea what an SUV costs but if you're already swinging $450 for a car payment, I can't imagine buying an SUV is going to cost you a LOT more than that.

mommy2twingles
01-23-2012, 01:56 PM
We have bought used the last two few times and also go out to the 5.5 year financing. Still not the greatest payment but it works for us. I am also not a minivan person. My DH has one but I hate driving it. Our current vehicle does not have 4wd which is a small concern since we are in eastern PA and get bad winters as well. But we will see how it works with the snow tires. I have already warned my job that I may be in less if there is bad snow and they are willing to work with me. My parents both have 4wd and are fairly close should we have an real need to get out and can't

tink2dw
01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Check out www.craigslist.com Be advised these are cash deals! But lots of people are sell there cars right now.

luvmy3
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM

You aren't missing any out of the box ideas, there really aren't any. To not have a high car payment, you either put down a huge down payment, get a loan for as many months as you can to stretch out your payments, lease a vehicle, or don't get something expensive.

sharbear
01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
My sister and I have around the same car payment. I am driving a Hyundai Elantra and she's driving an Infiniti. I bought my car and am paying it off in 4 years. She's leasing. It's a matter of personal preference.

We've bought older cars, sometimes an older luxury car coming off lease is a good deal. We've leased and that was a good option when we needed a bigger car and could afford a certain amount each month. We also financed for 72 months, which we paid off early but that kept our payments down.

Also I live in the snow belt in Michigan. We get ALOT of snow. We have had no problems in our Hyundai and I drive a Honda minivan and never has it been a problem getting around. If it was I would buy snow tires. I don't want a SUV, I like getting better gas mileage. My H used to drive a rear wheeled car, he put snow tires on it and it drove like it had 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't have believed it until we put those snow tires on.

I almost didn't respond to this. People are trying to be nice. Yelling at them because you only want to drive an SUV and not a minivan sounds spoiled and petulant. Sorry but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Deffenm
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I drive a Ford Expedition EL (Extra Long). It has captain seats so it only seats 7. My DH also has a Ford Expedition that seats 8. We love our Expeditions. We only have one car payment (DH's is paid off). We have 0% interest loan. We also traded in a car that we leveraged to reduce the initial cost of the SUV. I am also a hard barginer. :rotfl: I have no problems walking away if they don't meet my demands. My DH just stays out of the way. We are a family of 5 that plays hockey, soccer, and pulls a large travel trailer. We will drive these SUV's until they fall apart.

clutter
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
With my first vehicle, I paid $350 a month for 4 years and I cannot imagine having to pay that now... you can buy houses for less than that!

Off track, I know. Where do you live? Around here, you can't rent a room in a shared home for $350/month!

budafam
01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Off track, I know. Where do you live? Around here, you can't rent a room in a shared home for $350/month!

I'm in Wisconsin... there are lots of foreclosures around here right now... ranging from $20,000-$40,000 - making payments less than $300 a month with property taxes & insurance included (CRAZY!)... there are places for rent for $350 as well. That car I bought was "only" $11,500 but to me that's expensive. I don't plan to ever spend that much again on a vehicle and so far, so good.

As for the OP, there are no tricks. Either you have the money or you don't, either you make the payments or you get repo'd. ??? People are only making suggestions to try to help convince you into buying something that's more reasonable for the money.. no one is forcing you to drive a "trash hauling" minivan. Insults don't really make anyone want to help either but like I said, there are no suggestions that are out of the box. Good luck to you.

adisneymama
01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Some vans are just as expensive others aren't. If you don't want a van then you are going to have to decide which you are happier with. A smaller payment but not a luxury vehicle or the big SUV with the high payment. I am about to purchase either an extended length Tahoe or Expedition. I have 3 kids and need the space behind the third row. Yes it is going to be expensive. But I will trade in my Honda Van (which I love) and most probably put some money down. We afford it by having little debt and a lower house payment. We also keep vehicles until the wheels fall off so the cost over the number of years isn't much.

Disneefun
01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Okay, I don't mean this to be nasty, but here it is. Others have already told you that there is no magic bullet. However, if you still insist on having a car with payments that you cannot comfortably afford, then your only other choice is to cut every other aspect of your lifestyle to the bone. No eating out, no nice clothes, no cable TV, no vacations, no activities for the kids, etc. That will free up the money to cover the payments. Of course, you'll have no life or other nice things, but you'll have the car you desire.

That's called choices. If you want the car, you have to make the choice to make it the priority and sacrifice in other areas. If you want to keep the lifestyle you have now, you need to settle for a cheaper car. It's that way with any financial choice for everyone except the gloriously rich.

arthuruscg
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Look into used minivans. They are typicaly alot cheeper.
And here is a little hit, most SUV drivers are just minivan drivers that are in denile. I know there are people that use their SUVs for towing, off roading ect, but they are easy to identify compared to the soccer / mall SUV drivers.

Also, don't forget that TIRES not awd/ 4wd/ fwd/ rwd will determine how well a auto will do in the snow. If you believe otherwise, please turn your license back into the DMV.
I have refused to help pull people out of ditches before if they where on bald tires. Why pull them out when they will just mess up traffic even more and find them selves in a ditch again in a few miles.

teCh0010
01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
How many kids are you going to have, and what are the age spreads? Since you have a CRV now I guess you don't need to tow?

If the two older are booster age and buckle themselves you could put them in the third row of a 2008+ Highlander or a 2006+ pilot without much problem. With the Highlander you can remove the center seat in the 2nd row and the kids can reach the third row without flipping a seat each time. I like the pilot better overall (I have an 07), but if I had to put someone in the 3rd row everyday I would get the highlander. Both come in AWD.

The minivan will have more room behind the third row and easier access, but if you don't need to tow and can't drive a minivan those are the two I would look at.

If your CRV is a 2008 and paid off you could get say 12k on trade, and spend 23k on a 2008 Pilot or Highlander you could finance 11k for 36 months at 1.9% with pen fed and have a $315 payment.

You can do better selling your CRV yourself, but a trade in can cut your tax burden depending on the state.

Swimalie
01-23-2012, 03:20 PM

I lived in Portland Oregon in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath single family home and our mortgage was $369 a month. It can be done with a large downpayment.

To the original poster, the "magic" is to save up for a more expensive car. Once you buy a car, you know you will have to replace it so you save a bit each month. We saved for years and this past June paid cash for a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited. It has all the bells and whistles (except navigation which we didn't want). Now, with no car payment, we are putting that money in to savings each month and when my husband needs a new car we will be ready to pay cash again. We could have bought a more expensive car but didn't want to. We're very happy with what we bought.

As for cars with 3rd row, check out the Rav-4. The sport model has a 3rd row and is around the same price as my Forester.

teCh0010
01-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I lived in Portland Oregon in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath single family home and our mortgage was $369 a month. It can be done with a large downpayment.

To the original poster, the "magic" is to save up for a more expensive car. Once you buy a car, you know you will have to replace it so you save a bit each month. We saved for years and this past June paid cash for a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited. It has all the bells and whistles (except navigation which we didn't want). Now, with no car payment, we are putting that money in to savings each month and when my husband needs a new car we will be ready to pay cash again. We could have bought a more expensive car but didn't want to. We're very happy with what we bought.

As for cars with 3rd row, check out the Rav-4. The sport model has a 3rd row and is around the same price as my Forester.

yep, we direct deposit money into savings every pay check and replace cars with cash when they are 8 - 10 years old.

maggiew
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
We have a Toyota Sienna minivan with 3 rows. It is really nice! (paid off)

My VW jetta will be paid off soon, so DH will be able to get a new car instead of the minivan. (We alternate buying vehicles. We drive each one for 10 years so only have one car payment at a time.) I was talking to him the other day about how we will be able to do without a minivan now that we have one in college and one almost out of high school. He said, NO WAY! He loves his minivan and won't be getting rid of it!!

Maggie

jmsaj
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM

Wow I wish I could buy a house for only $350 month....

ccgirl
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not a huge fan of minivans. I actually traded mine in for a used SUV with a third row seat. As far as expensive....one might think my car payment is expensive but it is well within my budget. Personally, I would not purchase a car that would break the bank so to speak. There are a ton of used SUV's out there with third row seats. At lease there are in my area.

Good luck with your search.

cinmouse
01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a Ford Explorer 2004, but bought is as a pre-owned lease for about $15K with 40K miles on it...I will drive it until it dies. It has the 3rd row, not lots of room, but fine for the 2 kids and the 2 kids we carpool with.

We had a 2001 Ford Escape bought new & traded it in this summer for the fully loaded Ford Edge 2008 = used the $$ we had saved for not haveing car payments in 3 years.

We drive our cars as long as we can. If you take care of them the normal maint is not that high...I might spend $1000 a year on the Explorer in maint cost.

I do not think our cars are expensive, but worth every penny. When looking at the Edge this summer we looked at the Kia (not the minivan) but with the 7 seats, fully loaded brand new was only about $30K.

lost*in*cyberspace
01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

if i have to have a higher car payment i will, but im looking to see if there is some out of the box idea's [sic] on affording an expensive car without a huge payment that im missing

Simple answer - you can afford an expensive car if you earn enough money to buy it outright or make large payments.

You aren't missing anything. There is no magic formula for buying an expensive car without having to pay for it.

Nayan
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
So you buy a new SUV. So you have those payments. You're insurance is going to go up so you have to figure that in, along with paying more for gas since they really aren't great in the mileage department. Repair costs if something goes wrong? Oh yeah, big hit there! I drive an expensive car but I can afford it and everything that goes with it. There's no in-between, you either can or can't and if you can't then you look for what you can afford figuring in the above-mentioned expenses.

scottmel
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I never had a car payment,never will. I am an all cash kind of a gal. I buy new Volvos and run them for 10 years. Then buy another Volvo with the cash I would have stashed away for 10 years. And so the cycle goes. To me a volvo or other higher end car looks so good when detailed and cared for it never feels "old". I would drive them longer but DH puts his foot down at the 150k mark...I would never own a higher pricd car than I can afford to pay and have to cut back on my lifestyle to do so.....

arihillfarm
01-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I never had a car payment,never will. I am an all cash kind of a gal. I buy new Volvos and run them for 10 years. Then buy another Volvo with the cash I would have stashed away for 10 years. And so the cycle goes. To me a volvo or other higher end car looks so good when detailed and cared for it never feels "old". I would drive them longer but DH puts his foot down at the 150k mark...I would never own a higher pricd car than I can afford to pay and have to cut back on my lifestyle to do so.....

Volvos are just getting broken in at the 150K mile mark. :rotfl: If you have an XC90, let me know when you're ready to sell it and we'll take it off of your hands. :thumbsup2

-Astrid

kathie859
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I haven't had a car payment for years because I've paid cash for a used vehicle and drove it to death while saving money to buy a new vehicle. :thumbsup2 Last year I bought a brand new Lexus (yep--paid cash) and plan on driving it as long as practical:thumbsup2

Pakey
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I have a fully loaded 2011 BMW Z4 convertible hardtop, put $12,000 down and the monthly payments are $950. We have no other debt, I've saved enough for a retirement I'm probably not going to live to use, I make a generous salary, my company compensates me for my car expenses, I've got a terminal illness and dang it, I wanted this car. :lmao:

scottmel
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Volvos are just getting broken in at the 150K mile mark. :rotfl: If you have an XC90, let me know when you're ready to sell it and we'll take it off of your hands. :thumbsup2

-Astrid

Lol you are right!!! DH though is over obsessive with tires, perfection, etc. Anyone that buys our used cars are getting an extremely well taken care of car. He is over anal in that department!I wanted to push for 175k but we were really give a nice deal with the FORD X plan sooooo we jumped ship AGAIN at 150!

arihillfarm
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I would decide on the vehicle that you want to buy, the options, age and mileage and price you can live with and then keep looking for something used that meets your criteria and be prepared to jump on it as soon as you see it.

How we afford expensive cars is to let others buy them new, drive them for a little while and take the major hit in depreciation. Then we come in and own them until they can't get themselves down the driveway anymore. Case in point, my vehicle is a 2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali with ALL the bells and whistles available that year, bought 3 years ago with 70K miles for $17,000 which was less than 1/3 of what it cost the first sucker, I mean buyer, to drive it off the lot brand new. 80K miles later, it's still going strong with only routine maintenance and preemptive starter and alternator replacements about 10K miles ago.

-Astrid

Sadie22
01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Expensive is relative.

scrapquitler
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM

Sarah

:thumbsup2 You'll also appreciate the extra seats when you start carpooling and having to lug sports equipment etc along with the extra children.

As for the payments, we always take the shortes payment term, and suck it up for the two years of a high payment (last time, we bought DH car with almost no money down, and we paid it off in two years because we had 0% interest rate by only taking the two year term). Then we drive the car until the wheels are ready to fall off (usually around 150K miles).

I'd suggest that you look into mini vans and also check out used vehicles (esp. ones that are only 1-2 years old).

ETA: I just wanted to add something that a couple of other people touched on. I've been driving my 2002 minivan in Southern Vermont for 135K miles now (unfortunately, I think it's got an unrepairable problem at the moment) but I certainly think that with a home on a dirt road at the top of a mountain in Vermont, I can speak about winter driving with a bit of authority...my minivan has front wheel drive, and with studded snow tires on it, that thing would go ANYWHERE in the snow and ice without a problem. It has traction control and I have never had an issue driving it in winter, and as my DH points, out, it's probably SAFER than an SUV in the snow because it doesn't have the high tippy center of gravity that many SUVs have. If you live in NY State (which I think you mentioned), then a front wheel drive van with good snow tires should get you anywhere at all you need to go, unless of course you are off-roading, which I don't envision you doing with a bunch of kids in car seats.

SaraJayne
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm in Wisconsin... there are lots of foreclosures around here right now... ranging from $20,000-$40,000 - making payments less than $300 a month with property taxes & insurance included (CRAZY!)... there are places for rent for $350 as well. That car I bought was "only" $11,500 but to me that's expensive. I don't plan to ever spend that much again on a vehicle and so far, so good.

I'm guessing that's in the middle of the state, since that's certainly not true in this neck of WI. :)

disneyofcourse
01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I recently sold off my last car and that had a pretty hefty payment of $900+ and that's with a very nice down payment. I mean honestly most nice SUV's are going to cost a ton of money. Start looking at used, start looking at craigslist and see what YOU are comfortable affording. It's all relative to what you make. You can't get a huge expensive car without paying for it. (well unless you win it and then have a butt load of taxes to pay)

Just remember most are super gas guzzlers so factor that in. Also, insurance is much higher it seems. Many of these expensive cars lose a ton of value at 1-3 years old so really check that out. Oh and look at minivans.

One more idea MAZDA5. Take a look at those!!!

SaraJayne
01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
OP, I completely understand not wanting a mini van. I refuse to purchase one, too. :)

We drive a Traverse (bought brand new), and had a large down payment. Our payments are well within our budget.

DH is looking at an Audi (with $0 down payment) and the monthly costs would still be well within our budget.

As was said before, it's all relative. :)

disneyofcourse
01-23-2012, 04:39 PM

I need to get a bigger SUV with Madilyn coming sometime this summer (since i dont have 3rd row and its illegal to put a child under 12 in the front seat in NYS) but i'm really having a hard time with the cost of a bigger SUV. So i was wondering how those of you with more expensive cars afford the monthly payments? Do you finance for longer? huge down payment? or just have a huge car payment?

i'm from the camp of pay it off in 4 years and be done, and currently have a $450 car payment for my CRV which we will hopefully be paying off with my husband's stock buyout from his old company and our tax return so i can keep it. we don't have any money to put down this time either so i can't do that to lower my payment

I'm trying to find something used, but not having much luck so i may have to go new with this one

Mazda 5 seating for 6 . Starts at under 20k with 3 rows and its cute:goodvibes

Here I priced out the top of the line one at 24,800 with leather at 6% interest over 60 months with 2k down. $441 a month. Not bad!

SaraJayne
01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I recently sold off my last car and that had a pretty hefty payment of $900+ and that's with a very nice down payment. I mean honestly most nice SUV's are going to cost a ton of money. Start looking at used, start looking at craigslist and see what YOU are comfortable affording. It's all relative to what you make. You can't get a huge expensive car without paying for it. (well unless you win it and then have a butt load of taxes to pay)

Just remember most are super gas guzzlers so factor that in. Also, insurance is much higher it seems. Many of these expensive cars lose a ton of value at 1-3 years old so really check that out. Oh and look at minivans.

One more idea MAZDA5. Take a look at those!!!

Our insurance stayed the same when we bought our Traverse. :confused3

karenos
01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Wow I wish I could buy a house for only $350 month....

I wish my property taxes were only $350/month!! Ugh... the joys of living NJ!

karenos;)

Natalie's Mommy
01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Your current car payment is more than 2x my current car payment, so I could ask you the same question - how do you afford your car payment?

You afford your car payment by budgeting for it and not buying more car than you can afford. I have no idea what an SUV costs but if you're already swinging $450 for a car payment, I can't imagine buying an SUV is going to cost you a LOT more than that.

i only have a 4 year loan and didnt put any money down on this car. our plan was to keep it forever but now i need something to haul 4. i was unaware i could not put my oldest in the front seat until she was 12.

I'm sympathetic, OP. I drive around and look at all the expensive cars on the road and wonder how people do it too!. I'm shoping for a new(ish) car that I hope to buy at the end of 2012 and even putting half down, I still can only afford a car less than $20k. And DH and I make good money! Of course our definition of "afford" is a bit different than some I suppose, I refuse to have a car payment longer than 36 months ever again so that limits us somewhat, but still...I see cars on the road for $30k and higher and I know the average household income isn't all that high in my area.

Play with the numbers a bit, maybe adding another year to the loan will make the difference? If you plan on keeping the car for a long, long time and get a decent interest rate, it won't make that much difference in the end.

im the same way, pay it off as soon as possible and they drive it until it has a serious problem. my husband works on cars and does all our mainence so this is usually a long while

Look into used minivans. They are typicaly alot cheeper.
And here is a little hit, most SUV drivers are just minivan drivers that are in denile. I know there are people that use their SUVs for towing, off roading ect, but they are easy to identify compared to the soccer / mall SUV drivers.

Also, don't forget that TIRES not awd/ 4wd/ fwd/ rwd will determine how well a auto will do in the snow. If you believe otherwise, please turn your license back into the DMV.
I have refused to help pull people out of ditches before if they where on bald tires. Why pull them out when they will just mess up traffic even more and find them selves in a ditch again in a few miles.

i dont really care if im a mini van driver in denial....at least im not rude and leave helpless people on the side of the road. maybe they couldn't AFFORD new tires, way to be judgemental.

Okay, I don't mean this to be nasty, but here it is. Others have already told you that there is no magic bullet. However, if you still insist on having a car with payments that you cannot comfortably afford, then your only other choice is to cut every other aspect of your lifestyle to the bone. No eating out, no nice clothes, no cable TV, no vacations, no activities for the kids, etc. That will free up the money to cover the payments. Of course, you'll have no life or other nice things, but you'll have the car you desire.

That's called choices. If you want the car, you have to make the choice to make it the priority and sacrifice in other areas. If you want to keep the lifestyle you have now, you need to settle for a cheaper car. It's that way with any financial choice for everyone except the gloriously rich.

for someone who didnt mean to be nasty you sure were. i dont appreciate being talking to like im some dumb blonde who knows nothing about life. im not selfish enough to drive something that would negitivly effect my kids and their lifestyle.

i didn't know the Rav-4 had 3rd row.....i will have to look into that! thanks

I'm not a huge fan of minivans. I actually traded mine in for a used SUV with a third row seat. As far as expensive....one might think my car payment is expensive but it is well within my budget. Personally, I would not purchase a car that would break the bank so to speak. There are a ton of used SUV's out there with third row seats. At lease there are in my area.

Good luck with your search.

i wouldn't purchase a car that broke the bank either, i have a budget and i will stick to it. now im going to be searching car dealerships to see if something that i would like comes up. i figure if i start now ill find one by late spring and not have to settle.

im also looking into interest rates and dealer financing offerings to get the best deal. when i bought my car we planned on using our credit union with the last car we bought but the dealer was able to get us a better interest rate

hsmamato2
01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
you can't beat a good minivan when you have a bunch of kids and their stuff to tote.....beats a crossover/SUV for cost vs. usefulness anyday!
(I drove a 1995 Mercury Villager for over 12 years,loved that van! great MPG,carried 7 people plus luggage!)
now we've downsized.....

Bob NC
01-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Okay, the answer is that people that can afford more expensive cars than you have more money than you. Did THAT answer it?

pilesoflaundry
01-23-2012, 05:34 PM
There was nothing we could do about the higher payment, we needed a bigger vehicle. So we cut corners elsewhere in the budget, more coupons, more stuff on sale etc. That really is the only way around it, cars are expensive. It's almost paid off but until they we just have to suck it up. I hate the payment!

Nayan
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Okay, the answer is that people that can afford more expensive cars than you have more money than you. Did THAT answer it?

Bob is correct. Some folks can only afford to drive what their monthly budget allows. I drive an expensive car because I can afford to. I can afford the payments, insurance and everything else that goes with owning a car. It would help knowing what you think is expensive.

NYEmomma
01-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Bob is correct. Some folks can only afford to drive what their monthly budget allows. I drive an expensive car because I can afford to. I can afford the payments, insurance and everything else that goes with owning a car. It would help knowing what you think is expensive.

We're facing that nasty reality right now. I'm having twins and we NEED to buy a minivan. Do I want a minivan? Heck no!!! I swore up & down that I would never be a minivan driver, but I also never in a million years thought I'd have 3 kids.

All large SUV's with an accessible 3rd row that will work with 3 children in car seats are not only way out of our price range (unless I buy a brand that I'm uncomfortable with), but the gas mileage is horrible compared to minivans.

So minivan it is. The only thing we can afford is around a 2005 with about 80k miles on it... neither which I'm thrilled about & would typically avoid, but it's what we can afford. We do what we have to do to safely fit our children in a vehicle.

I have a 2007 Rav4 with the 3rd row right now and would NEVER use the 3rd row as anything but the occasional transportation emergency. You have to climb over the second row to access it, there's almost NO room for the 3rd row passengers and it takes the entire rear cargo area of the car.

It's just not an option for a family of 5, IMO.

Nayan
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I have a friend who said she'd never be a minivan mom either, but with 3 kids and lots of stuff for sports, outings, etc. she said she wouldn't own anything else.

tinker&belle
01-23-2012, 06:41 PM
We just bought a new vehicle and have a very low payment. (It happens to be a minivan.)

It is WAY nicer than something we could have afforded new. It is a 2007 LOADED with options. We paid about 1/2 of what it went for brand new. It is in great shape, has all the service records and we love it. We were able to pay almost 1/2 of it down, so I have a very small payment on a 60 month loan that we are hoping to throw all extra cash at to pay it off hopefully by the end of 2012 or mid- 2013.

So I guess for us we bought used but in great shape, made a large down payment and are aggressively paying it off. We had hoped to pay for it with cash but it didn't quite work out. Hopefully when we need the next vehicle (hopefully 10 years or so) we will have the cash saved up.

budafam
01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm guessing that's in the middle of the state, since that's certainly not true in this neck of WI. :)

No, we're on Lake Michigan actually. Where are you located? There are no foreclosures where you are? I've looked in Green Bay and there are quite a few but I'm not sure if they charge higher prices there (you know, for that awesome team and all... lol)

Judique
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I have a fully loaded 2011 BMW Z4 convertible hardtop, put $12,000 down and the monthly payments are $950. We have no other debt, I've saved enough for a retirement I'm probably not going to live to use, I make a generous salary, my company compensates me for my car expenses, I've got a terminal illness and dang it, I wanted this car. :lmao:

Enjoy it while you can, Pakey!

Soben
01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
If you have time to wait....you can wait until the gas prices cycle up to $4-5. Then all the suv drivers want to sell. SUV prices do go down when we have a gas shock. You could keep your eyes out. With Iran and the Strait of Hormuz, you never know.

Alexander
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM

I didn't read the whole thread, but you are misinformed. From the NYS DMV:

It is not illegal under NYS law for a child passenger to ride in the front seat of a vehicle that has a passenger air bag, but it is dangerous.

It is not illegal, but still not a good idea.

wdwmaw
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM

:worship: I wish I could stand by the side of the road with my Mickey Hands on and wave as you drive by:thumbsup2

pintamino
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM

-Astrid

I just bought a Volvo S40 with 137k on it... This makes me feel better! It was a graduation gift, so I am lucky enough to have no payments, and hope to drive it for a long time. "Chloe" got nearly 30 mpg out of it on a 300-mile highway trip today, but I filled up with premium fuel this time to see if it makes a difference... Any tips on maintenance as a Volvo "ages"?

DISdreamin'
01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
If you live in NY State (which I think you mentioned), then a front wheel drive van with good snow tires should get you anywhere at all you need to go, unless of course you are off-roading, which I don't envision you doing with a bunch of kids in car seats.
You'd think so, but no - there are definitely places that a minivan with snows will struggle (or just plain not make it) that an AWD SUV (ETA: with snows!) can handle, and well. One turn to our house in particular, the van will struggle and slide right into the lane of oncoming traffic; my little car, right up the hill. Night and day. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it. So although I'd agree with what you said most of the time, there are definitely days the van does not see the light of day because it's just too freakin' bad out for it.

OP, you have to make a decision based on your finances and your financial principles. What do you feel you need (or what do you want badly enough to make it a priority even if you don't need it) and what can you realistically afford, and then go from there. I'll second what someone said about looking into Toyota. I know there was a smaller SUV with three rows...I just didn't like the trim level enough to seriously consider it. :confused3

DawnM
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
And there you have it. :teacher:

MrsPete
01-23-2012, 08:11 PM

I'm trying to find something used, but not having much luck so i may have to go new with this oneHow to pay for an expensive car (and your question implies without a big salary) isn't a secret:

- Save 'til you have a big downpayment.
- Accept that you're going to have large monthly payments.
- Stretch your payments out 'til the crack of doom.
- Buy used.
- Lease, which is expensive in the long run.

You're approaching this new purchase like a typical American: You've picked out what's most attractive to you, what'll be most convenient . . . and now your'e trying to figure out how to afford it. That's backwards. To live within your means, you have to decide first what you can afford, then see what your available cash flow will purchase.

Also, you have to consider your overall priorities. What matters most to you? Your car, your home, saving for your kids' college, saving for your retirement, providing educational enrichment for your kids . . . the list could go on. Where does transportation fall in your list of priorities? For me, it's pretty low; for some people, a cool car is near the top of the list.

Don't forget, too, that a larger SUV is going to cost more to drive than your current CRV. And your household expenses are going to increase as you add another child.

I personally don't think that a car is a place to splurge. It's a depreciating asset that can be destroyed in seconds (often through no fault of your own). Three kids can fit in the back of my Civic (we are talking about three, right?), so I'd be surprised if three couldn't fit into your CRV. I'd make do 'til I could afford what I really wanted. I'd at least wait 'til I'd become accustomed to the cost of the additional child in the household.

I'll throw out one more thought: We opted to buy a small car, which is what I like to drive and which we could buy with cash. I can fit three kids in the backseat without trouble, and the trunk'll hold everything we need 95% of the time. When we travel -- if necessary -- we rent a larger vehicle. It's cheaper than buying and maintaining a larger, more expensive vehicle year-round.

Good luck with a tough choice.

DISdreamin'
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
i only have a 4 year loan and didnt put any money down on this car. our plan was to keep it forever but now i need something to haul 4. i was unaware i could not put my oldest in the front seat until she was 12.
<snip>
i dont really care if im a mini van driver in denial....at least im not rude and leave helpless people on the side of the road. maybe they couldn't AFFORD new tires, way to be judgemental.
<snip>
for someone who didnt mean to be nasty you sure were. i dont appreciate being talking to like im some dumb blonde who knows nothing about life. im not selfish enough to drive something that would negitivly effect my kids and their lifestyle.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Wish I'd read all the way through the thread before making my first response. First, 4 years is not "only" to some people. Whether you accept that you'll have a car payment isn't even a given. Different strokes for different folks and all that. The bottom line is you need to decide what you need, and you sure better be looking down the road when you do that (and this from someone trying to decide whether to trade in their 18-month-old CR-V! D'OH!).

As for leaving a car in the ditch, I'd say that is the lesser of the evils. What if you pull someone out only to have them cause an accident where someone is seriously injured or killed? The ditch is the better place for a car without proper shoes on in winter, IMO!

And what is with the dumb blonde comment? You asked a question, people answered it. Some people tried to offer alternatives which you resoundingly rejected. Other than that, make more money, be broke with too big a car payment for a new large SUV, buy used and have lower payments, or don't buy. There aren't really other options if you have your heart set on a $30K+ car when your CR-V was a 4 year with mucho payments, right? :confused3

North of Mouse
01-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Maybe yes, maybe no. We've seen it work both ways. My husband and I save, buy each of our vehicles new, take excellent care of them (garaged + my husband does all maintenance) and don't make car payments (and by the way, we are not rich;)) I have a Suzuki XL-7 which I dearly love (has never been in the shop for repairs, and is a 2005). My DH drives a 2005 Crysler 300 (was new, also no repairs). People constantly think they're new because they look that way (can't understand people letting their cars look like rattle-traps, not waxing, washing vacuuming them, etc) We'll both probably drive them at least another 3 years and still get money out of them selling them outright because of their excellent condition. But, to each their own, I wouldn't trade mine for most that I see only 2-3 years old regardless how expensive they were.

okeydokey
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Is this a trick question? If not, then, many people with expensive cars work hard and send in a payment each month. If they can't afford that, they sell them and get something a bit less desirable that they can afford.

Nayan
01-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Is this a trick question? If not, then, many people with expensive cars work hard and send in a payment each month. If they can't afford that, they sell them and get something a bit less desirable that they can afford.

Exactly! If I couldn't afford to drive an expensive car I wouldn't. I'd buy what was in my price range. Sorry, there's no magic number or way around it. If you can't afford it, you find something you can.

The answer to your question of how can people who drive expensive cars afford them? Because we make enough money and can, simple answer.

marlynnp
01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I get my daddy to pay half! :rolleyes:

AZMermaid
01-23-2012, 09:47 PM
You have a few options:

1- put a large down payment
2- finance for a long time (72 months?)
3- buy used (at least 3 years to really see a savings)
4- get a second job to cover the payments
5- don't go on any vacations and put that money towards the vehicle
6- buy a car that costs less money

We have a Chevy Traverse. We bought it new which I hate doing, but my hubby insisted and we really couldn't find a used one with the options we wanted and without the ones we didn't want to pay for. We put about $12,000 down (I think... somewhere in that range). $8,000 of that came from trading in my Civic, the other $4,000 or so was from savings. We had paid my husband's car off about a year earlier and saved the money we had been paying on his car towards the new one. We plan on keeping that car until the Traverse is paid off, effectively always giving us only one car payment. My husband *really* wants a new car, but his 05 Altima is just fine and he knows driving it as long as possible is the smart thing to do. Our loan is for 5 years, but we pay about $100 a month extra so it will be paid off early. We pay $600 a month.

Missy29
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I have a Chevy traverse that I love. We always end up with big cars because dh is 6'7" and he doesn't fit in most cars. This time we ended up with a dealer car that had around 500 miles and we qualified for zero interest. It's just another factor in our budget. But since we take in foster kids we can go from one kid to four in a couple hours so the flexibility is nice.

We have a Traverse also and we love it! So much room, third row seating with the option to fold it down which gives tons of room. We pay $356 a month, but we are leasing, I love getting a new car every 3 years.

Jessica527
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
We have a Chevy Corvette but put down at large downpayment, our payment is only $250 a month because of that for 4 years. I would look into a mini van as well, that is a great option.

Katy Belle
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM

We bought a new Expedition last year. We paid cash. We do not buy anything unless we are sure we can afford it, even if we "need" it.

stitchlovestink
01-23-2012, 10:13 PM

-Astrid
Oh my gosh...
I would never buy a volvo After watching my sister's. The first one wasn't as bad (bought used), but I still think the repair bills were high!!! The second one (bought new!) has been Crazy!!! The stuff That she has had to have fixed & the costs!!! The a/c went up at 100K! The window mechanism broke at around 70K! She has 1 son away at college who doesn't even drive AT All. I mean At all. He got his permit & drove once or twice then a friend was killed while learning to drive And that
did him in. Anyway.... Regarding a Volvo, NEVER in my book! Hers doesn't have 150000 yet! But to each his/her own!

bumbershoot
01-23-2012, 10:15 PM
This got buried. It should be brought up to the top, because the OP's whole premise is based on something that's not true.

I didn't read the whole thread, but you are misinformed. From the NYS DMV:

It is not illegal under NYS law for a child passenger to ride in the front seat of a vehicle that has a passenger air bag, but it is dangerous.

It is not illegal, but still not a good idea.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/occupant.htm

I mean, all you really have to do is realize that a family with one small pickup truck does, indeed, get to transport their child in it, and you realize that forbidding children from being in front isn't something that could ALWAYS be a flat-out rule.

... ~ less space in back for stroller, groceries, etc ~ ...

That's a really good point. My sister in law has a Durango with a 3rd row, and you can fit a few grocery bags back there when the 3rd row is up. Definitely NOT the car for a big family with baby gear, etc etc.

So i was wondering how those of you with more expensive cars afford the monthly payments? Do you finance for longer? huge down payment? or just have a huge car payment?

The answer to how people do it is as varied as there are people. Your car payment would have been impossible to us. To my brother, I think it's probably a drop in the bucket for his total car payments (I think they still have a loan on his wife's Mercedes, and you don't even want to know the car they bought when her partnership with a top law firm was finalized).

In your shoes, I would NOT pay off the CRV with that money, and instead would use it as a down payment on the new car.

To me, a foreclosure that's 20K is likely trashed inside...I'd be afraid to even look inside!

Our insurance stayed the same when we bought our Traverse. :confused3

It all depends on what you had, what you're getting, and where you live. Always a good idea to call your insurance agent and tell them what you're thinking of buying, so they can see the insurance difference, if any.

A person who drives on bald tires because they can't afford them needs to put away the car keys and figure another way to get around. If you can't afford the tire replacement by the time they are bald, you can't afford the car!

All large SUV's with an accessible 3rd row that will work with 3 children in car seats are not only way out of our price range (unless I buy a brand that I'm uncomfortable with), but the gas mileage is horrible compared to minivans.

Also a good point.

I despise the look of minivans. They just make me think "ew". And then...I sat in one. And fell in love. With the inside. The outside is still bleah to me, but I'm not looking at it from the outside while driving it! I'd totally look at minivans if I had the need; now that the Kia Rondo isn't made anymore (it would have been our 3rd row vehicle back when we really thought we'd need one). If you've never sat in one, I'd recommend...you never know how you'll feel. I'd have laughed for hours if someone had told me I'd like the driving-part of the minivan.

Now...what might end up as a useful offshoot here would be if you told us the ages etc of the kids! I'm sure there would be people who could help you MORE specifically (though you'll have to deal with the fact that many people do feel that the dreaded minivan is going to be better in many ways than an SUV) with ages etc. From your first post and signature, I can't even tell if Madilyn is an unborn baby at this point, or a 10 year old you're adopting...let alone the rest of your family. More info could lead to a good discussion that might lead to more help for you.

bumbershoot
01-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh my gosh...
I would never buy a volvo After watching my sister's. The first one wasn't as bad (bought used), but I still think the repair bills were high!!! The second one (bought new!) has been Crazy!!! The stuff That she has had to have fixed & the costs!!! The a/c went up at 100K! The window mechanism broke at around 70K! She has 1 son away at college who doesn't even drive AT All. I mean At all. He got his permit & drove once or twice then a friend was killed while learning to drive And that
did him in. Anyway.... Regarding a Volvo, NEVER in my book! Hers doesn't have 150000 yet! But to each his/her own!

Wow, that's definitely (in my experience and knowledge) NOT the norm for a Volvo. They are generally known as cars that will continue forever and ever.

But every so often, Lemon cars are made. Have they ever looked at their state's Lemon laws? Might be too late now, but it might have been worth looking at.

Natalie's Mommy
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Now...what might end up as a useful offshoot here would be if you told us the ages etc of the kids! I'm sure there would be people who could help you MORE specifically (though you'll have to deal with the fact that many people do feel that the dreaded minivan is going to be better in many ways than an SUV) with ages etc. From your first post and signature, I can't even tell if Madilyn is an unborn baby at this point, or a 10 year old you're adopting...let alone the rest of your family. More info could lead to a good discussion that might lead to more help for you.

my girls will be 7, 5, 2 1/2 and a newborn. i only have the youngest two about half the time

luvmy2sams
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
We bought a new Expedition last year. We paid cash. We do not buy anything unless we are sure we can afford it, even if we "need" it.

We bought a new Pilot last May and paid cash. We budget a specific amount each month and store it away until we have the cash on hand to buy the vehicle we want.

Bell30012
01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
As has been pointed out, it is not illegal for a child to be in the front seat in New York. If you have ever seen an airbag actually deploy, a child properly belted in should not hit that airbag. A rear facing child seat should never be in the front seat.

Many vehicles now have airbags in the center and back of vehicles. My 2011 Toyota Prius has 7 airbags!!! I don't care where you are in the car... there's going to be some deploying around you.

Back to the OP's question... Psst, buy used. My other vehicle is a 2003 Lincoln Navigator. Back when it had a payment it was around $300 a month. I often have people ask why a single father of one child needs a 7 passenger SUV... People think that my Prius and Navigator are at odds with each other... Those people just haven't hauled a gaggle of 9-year-old girls to a movie theater, mall or skating rink.

Mini-van? Oh heck no.

Swan4Me
01-23-2012, 10:42 PM

Stop having so many kids?:laughing:
edited-Ok it seems the youngest 2 are your "part time kids?" Not sure what that is about

We always put a few thousand down to lower our car payments

Southernmiss
01-23-2012, 10:59 PM
When we had 2 children and were expecting #3 we went looking for SUVs, but after seeing the price and knowing what we could comfortably afford, I succombed to the V A N.

Once I drove a V A N I loved it. Easy to drive, good visibility and lots of room to put kids in and all their gear.

We, though, are practical before fashionable. I would rather be able to afford something practical than not afford something just because I didn't like the alternative. We are not car payment kind of people. If we can't buy it without a payment, we don't need it. We sacrifice and save and drive it until the wheels fall off to be able to afford our cars.

jedijill
01-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Where is the "like" button on the Dis?!!?! You go Pakey! Too bad you have the terminal illness but you enjoy that car as long as you can...you earned it!

I have a paid off Jeep with 90K and I will drive it as long as I can. I bought a 1966 Mustang convertible 2 years ago and learned how to repair myself. Now it runs and is my fun, project car! My attitude has completely changed about new cars and car payments...I don't want one! Sure, I would love a brand new BMW M5 but until I hit the lottery and can pay cash I'm not getting one. I'm going to putter around with the Mustang and keep the Jeep going as long as I can. When it comes time to replace the Jeep, I will buy a used vehicle with cash.

Jill in CO

Marionnette
01-23-2012, 11:27 PM
I wanted a Nissan GT-R. We couldn't afford an $80K+ car right now. I settled for the 370Z with alloy wheels. Sometimes you just have to accept what you can afford.

stitchlovestink
01-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Wow, that's definitely (in my experience and knowledge) NOT the norm for a Volvo. They are generally known as cars that will continue forever and ever.

But every so often, Lemon cars are made. Have they ever looked at their state's Lemon laws? Might be too late now, but it might have been worth looking at.

Yes, BIL is a master Diesel mechanic with 30+ years experience. Problem is he doesn't usually have the time to work on my sister's car because of working 60+ hours at work & he can't do it in their neighborhood because of the HOA. They live in a Very Nice neighborhood! One set of neighbors were disgusted to find out that a mechanic could afford to buy in the neighborhood! :lmao: they own several other vehicles and don't have problems with either Jeep or their Expedition or Ford truck like they do That Volvo! LOL!

hockeymomNS
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Big SUV = big gas bills as well

Hub has a company SUV and I'm glad that they pay for the gas. Mom here drives her mini van and enjoys putting a little over half of what his vehicle costs in gas.

Unfortunately without a big down payment, you have large monthly payments, if you want a pricier vehicle.

RooRach0906
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
When I was having our daughter I was watching kids from my home and would not give up my suv but needed a bigger SUV we looked for a used Chevy Trailblazer Ext or GMC Envoy XL with 4WD. I was so glad I did gas wasnt much more and neither was our payment but we did do 5 years. Maybe look for those. I completely understand the no minivan as we are the same way. Hope this helps and you find one.

Wished we lived closer we just traded ours in as our needs have changed but it was a 05 but still had a ton of life left only 60,000 miles on it.

ToodlesRN
01-24-2012, 12:15 AM
We bought a brand new 2008 Chevy Tahoe and to answer your question on how do we afford it, well my husband works full-time and pays all the bills and I work part-time paying my car payment, DVC and our son private school tuition plus our trips I book. I budget it to a tee and work extra shifts (mostly our trip money). Looking forward on being car loan free as it is a big chunk of my paycheck, looking forward on using that extra $$$ on my Disney habit ;)

NotUrsula
01-24-2012, 12:37 AM
You also might want to try thinking outside the box a bit.

My Dad was a coachmaker, and it's one of those little-known things that most cars/vans that have a cargo bay can accomodate an additional smaller seat row. There are many custom coach shops that can do this for you for a fraction of what a new vehicle would cost you, especially since two of these kids apparently only live with you part-time? When properly built and installed, aftermarket seats will meet all the same standards as the original seats (although they won't have dedicated airbags, but airbags are not a great idea for kids in carseats anyway.)

As the most convenient example: littleseats.com can sell you a matched third-row seat for a CRV, complete with mounts and shoulder belts for under $1100. You can install it yourself if you know cars, or have a body shop do it for you. (Dealers will NOT do it, because they have issues with creating a non-standard trim level.)

Add a hitch connector and a cargo box at the same time for when the seats are in use, and you'll still have enough space for your groceries.

Or, if you REALLY want a new 7 passenger car, you can consider a Mazda RX-9 or a Hyundai Veracruz; both of them have an MSRP of under $29K and are very nice vehicles.

momxx5
01-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Okay, trying to keep up.....

You are wanting a new SUV to drive the children in comfortably.

You have 2 children full time and 2 small children half the time?? How does that work? The dynamics are hard to figure.....are the two young ones your children with shared custody or your DH's children that he gets???

So, I would really rethink the whole expensive vehicle, especially since we are talking about a part-time need with a full time expense.

This reminds meof the family up the street that found out that they were having a surprise (oops pregnancy) baby so that meant they needed a new, bigger home. Of course they would have been totally fine where they were, especially for the first few years. But NO they "needed" a bigger home. So they built that bigger house in a lot on same street, could not sell first house ~ had to rent it~, finally sold with everything fine UNTIL the dad lost his job....things just did not end like they planned.

We were a family, with 4 kids, born within 4 1/2 yrs...lived in a small 3bedroom, 2 bath, 1100 sq ft home. We survived.
Finally we saved and looked carefully and were able to purchase larger home in good school district(reason for moving) and then had our "bonus" baby = 5 children.
The whole time driving a van and loving it.

To me (never really a big fan of SUVs).....SUVs are just the modern day version of the older days station wagon....only jacked up higher off ground. I bet most SUV drivers would never drive a station wagon. LOL!!!

So, while planning on affording the newer vehicle today, keep in mind what changes could happen in the future....further affecting how expensive something really is.

Again, good luck.

Pea-n-Me
01-24-2012, 12:52 AM
How we afford expensive cars is to let others buy them new, drive them for a little while and take the major hit in depreciation. Then we come in
This is how we do it as well.

I would decide on the vehicle that you want to buy, the options, age and mileage and price you can live with and then keep looking for something used that meets your criteria and be prepared to jump on it as soon as you see it.
Last time I bought I had a very specific vehicle and features in mind. It took a little while and a lot of searching but I finally found it about an hour away using the Advanced Search on automart.com (remember Auto Mart the book like the Want Ads, it's now online). It was a year and a half old, looked, felt and even smelled new, had just under 10K miles on it, and through a series of fortunate events I wound up paying less than half the cost of the original sticker price (which we found in the glovebox).

Good luck with your search if that's what you decide to do!

Green Tea
01-24-2012, 06:41 AM
If you like the CRV then a Pilot might be just what you are hoping to find. That is one car that I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. The first year they were out was 2003, and those would have about 100K miles now, generally, and are likely still going strong. More recent years less miles, more money but if you like the CRV then you sort of know what you are getting into.

When my kids were in car seats the mini van was the best thing I ever bought. The SUV came later when they could get to the 3rd row and buckle themselves. But to each his own.

But the PenFed 1.49% and 1.99% will make a huge difference in payments vs. a local bank financing.

Patience
01-24-2012, 07:12 AM
I drive a Lexus sedan. I bought it used and saved a bundle over what it would have cost new.

crashbb
01-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Okay, trying to keep up.....

You are wanting a new SUV to drive the children in comfortably.

You have 2 children full time and 2 small children half the time?? How does that work? The dynamics are hard to figure.....are the two young ones your children with shared custody or your DH's children that he gets???

So, I would really rethink the whole expensive vehicle, especially since we are talking about a part-time need with a full time expense.

This reminds meof the family up the street that found out that they were having a surprise (oops pregnancy) baby so that meant they needed a new, bigger home. Of course they would have been totally fine where they were, especially for the first few years. But NO they "needed" a bigger home. So they built that bigger house in a lot on same street, could not sell first house ~ had to rent it~, finally sold with everything fine UNTIL the dad lost his job....things just did not end like they planned.

We were a family, with 4 kids, born within 4 1/2 yrs...lived in a small 3bedroom, 2 bath, 1100 sq ft home. We survived.
Finally we saved and looked carefully and were able to purchase larger home in good school district(reason for moving) and then had our "bonus" baby = 5 children.
The whole time driving a van and loving it.

To me (never really a big fan of SUVs).....SUVs are just the modern day version of the older days station wagon....only jacked up higher off ground. I bet most SUV drivers would never drive a station wagon. LOL!!!

So, while planning on affording the newer vehicle today, keep in mind what changes could happen in the future....further affecting how expensive something really is.

Again, good luck.

I find it rather hypocritical (and funny) that you criticize the family up the street, because they aren't able to afford things after the husband lost his job.

Umm...hello, pot, it is the kettle calling.

Swan4Me
01-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I find it rather hypocritical (and funny) that you criticize the family up the street, because they aren't able to afford things after the husband lost his job.

Umm...hello, pot, it is the kettle calling.

:scared1: I know-its like the most bizarre thing evah!:lmao:

DawnM
01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Very interesting idea.

My cousin has a Toyota Highlander and added a 3rd row. She did it through the dealer. Her kids are now big and can't fit back there as the leg room is for a 4'8" person at best, but it is certainly an option if you just need it occasionally or just for running around town, which it sounds like the OP is talking about.

Dawn

You also might want to try thinking outside the box a bit.

My Dad was a coachmaker, and it's one of those little-known things that most cars/vans that have a cargo bay can accomodate an additional smaller seat row. There are many custom coach shops that can do this for you for a fraction of what a new vehicle would cost you, especially since two of these kids apparently only live with you part-time? When properly built and installed, aftermarket seats will meet all the same standards as the original seats (although they won't have dedicated airbags, but airbags are not a great idea for kids in carseats anyway.)

As the most convenient example: littleseats.com can sell you a matched third-row seat for a CRV, complete with mounts and shoulder belts for under $1100. You can install it yourself if you know cars, or have a body shop do it for you. (Dealers will NOT do it, because they have issues with creating a non-standard trim level.)

Add a hitch connector and a cargo box at the same time for when the seats are in use, and you'll still have enough space for your groceries.

Or, if you REALLY want a new 7 passenger car, you can consider a Mazda RX-9 or a Hyundai Veracruz; both of them have an MSRP of under $29K and are very nice vehicles.

teCh0010
01-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Very interesting idea.

My cousin has a Toyota Highlander and added a 3rd row. She did it through the dealer. Her kids are now big and can't fit back there as the leg room is for a 4'8" person at best, but it is certainly an option if you just need it occasionally or just for running around town, which it sounds like the OP is talking about.

Dawn

2008+ or the older model? The highlander got a lot bigger in 08. The previous third row was tight. None of them will have the room of a minivan but the 08+ is better.

DawnM
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
I am quite sure it is pre-2008.

Dawn

2008+ or the older model? The highlander got a lot bigger in 08. The previous third row was tight. None of them will have the room of a minivan but the 08+ is better.

teCh0010
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
If you like the CRV then a Pilot might be just what you are hoping to find. That is one car that I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. The first year they were out was 2003, and those would have about 100K miles now, generally, and are likely still going strong. More recent years less miles, more money but if you like the CRV then you sort of know what you are getting into.

When my kids were in car seats the mini van was the best thing I ever bought. The SUV came later when they could get to the 3rd row and buckle themselves. But to each his own.

But the PenFed 1.49% and 1.99% will make a huge difference in payments vs. a local bank financing.

03 to 05 had transmission issues, 06+ is the way to go with pilots. They also made some interior changes and cosmetic changes in 06.

The other thing to consider with the pilot or any DOHC V6 with a timing belt is the belt replacement. It is due at 105k on the pilot so you would want to make sure any Pilot around or over 105k have it done, or budget 800 for it in the price.

The are great vehicles, very versatile.

iheartpeterpan
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I have a 2010 Highlander, the 3rd row is plenty big for a carload of teenaged (full man-sized) boys. I routinely transport 5 or 6. The middle seat would be plenty big for 3 kids across, including car seats. I would put the oldest up front, it has an airbag that turns itself off if the kid sitting in the seat doesn't weigh enough. It tows and I put a cargo box on the luggage racks if we are travelling and I need both the 3rd row and luggage room. The Honda pilot has the same configuration. Both cars bought one year used are very reasonable (ie not expensive) and maintenance/gas/insurance is in line with a sedan rather than an SUV.

I understand your desire not to buy a van. I feel the same way. To each his own.

This car has been perfect for me and my large family. Save up. Buy used. Look until you find the right car, don't impulse buy a car. Recognize that you absolutely can put your oldest up front, especially given that you only have the youngest 2 half time, I sure wouldn't saddle myself with a huge car and a huge payment. That sounds more like a "want" to me than a "need". So you have to decide what is best for you.

teCh0010
01-24-2012, 08:54 AM
I am quite sure it is pre-2008.

Dawn

The 08 is Pilot sized, the 07 seemed just a little larger than the CRV or RAV4.

I bought a Pilot in the summer of 07, we looked at the new 08 highlander but got a smoking deal on an 07 pilot.

DawnM
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Well, she didn't really buy it for the 3rd row, but did have it put in as an extra.

I think the CrV 3rd row option would be doable if cost is a huge issue. It would suffice for those few times the extra kids come and the running around town.

It would not work for a long trip, but if you only take a trip with the step kids (which I assume she is talking about) once a year or so, then you could rent a mini-van for that and still be WAY further ahead financially.

Dawn

The 08 is Pilot sized, the 07 seemed just a little larger than the CRV or RAV4.

I bought a Pilot in the summer of 07, we looked at the new 08 highlander but got a smoking deal on an 07 pilot.

kwhite1022
01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Id be willing to bet most minivan owners, werent exactly excited to buy their first one....but Id also bet most of them are also like me, and know that even when the kids are gone, the van will stay!

My DH was dead set against it, but once we drove one, with 2 toddlers (and their carseats) and a baby in the carrier....he fell in love with having the door open at the push of a button :rotfl: That was all it took. Our first was not even one of the better models. Now we have the Honda Ody with moon roof, dual sliders, dvd, and 4 sets of wireless headphones....hubby was beyond geeked :rotfl2:

My thing was always, first you pay more for an SUV, then you keep on paying more at the pump for the whole time you own it! Though the poster above was right, come summer when gas tops $4, you will probably find your dream ride for sale :thumbsup2

disneysteve
01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I scanned through all 8 pages of this thread so forgive me if I missed this but I didn't see anyone give any standard guidelines for car shopping so here it is.

Best choice, obviously, is to save up and pay cash for your vehicles.

If you must finance, the rule of thumb is to borrow for no more than 3 years with a payment not exceeding 10% of your monthly income. If you have to stretch out the loan longer than that or pay a higher percentage of income, you are probably overspending.

So to answer the OP's question about how others afford it, either they earn a lot of money or they are living beyond their means. What should you do? If you have your heart set on a particular vehicle, buy used as old as necessary to afford it within the above guidelines.

Personally, we drive a 1998 Camry and a 2000 Sienna (yes, we like minivans). Both were bought used. Both now have about 150,000 miles on them with no plans to replace either anytime soon.

Sheaboys
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
You could take out a loan for longer. We purchased our van, brand new in 2007 (Hyundia Entourage, which they longer make), we took out a loan for 6 yrs. I could not see paying $500+ on a vehicle, so 6yrs knocked it down to about $360 a month. We paid it off in Oct 2011, early.

We also had a Ford Expedition. While, I love the big part of SUV, I hated the lack of trunk space, you can't fit a stroller, never mind bags of groceries. It had 3 row seating (sat 8). I hated throwing the carseat up into it, I hate leaning over and crawling half way in to buckle a todder too. I hate my butt hung out the door everytime I put a kid in. With 5 kids, it was fine, but the whole process of getting the 2 younger ones in and out, just sucked.

My Inlaws have Traverse I believe, but their payment is quite high, over $500, and while I like driving it, very roomy inside, trunk space is ok, not mini van great, but not Expedition suck, I still can't see spending that kind of cash, heck my mortgage is only $988 for a 3000sq foot house with 2.5 bathrooms in it. So I can't justify, plus one income family not going to happen. Now, if I could just about live in it, bathroom and whatnot then maybe :rotfl:

So try stuff out, invision picking up an infant at about 9 months old, and tossing a carseat into it. Then decide price point and loan length, you may need to go longer to get what you want. Also, if you buy new, and the loan length is too long and/or rate too high, check your local bank or credit union, sometimes their rates are lower.

heartsy77
01-24-2012, 11:03 AM
For me it was just making what I wanted a priory; and buying older used models:
2 years ago bought a Honda Pilot 2007 because I always wanted one.
This summer we bought a hybrid travel trailer camper that technically the Pilot could tow. After 1 trip to Chicago, w/ camper to see DS graduate, from boot camp, I decided my Pilot had to go!

In November I traded Pilot for 2006 Nissan Armada w/ 53,000 miles on it. ( traded for exactly what I owed on it) Now I love this SUV, It's huge, but it's amazing to drive and it was made to haul a camper double mine's size.
I don't mind driving an older molder as I always get the fancy model.

North of Mouse
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
MomXX5, no, an SUV is NOT like a station wagon of days gone by. It has more of a truck and van combined feel. We've owned 2 vans before and I now have a 4WD Suzuki XL7 which gets over 20MPG and I love it (they stopped making it last year:sad1:) I have no issue with vans, just currently love my SUV. It is definitely not a gas guzzler, but a little larger than the CRV. I garden a lot and need the back roomy area for supplies. Everyone has to go with what they like ,their needs, and what fits their budget - to each his own :woohoo: Also, we needed something that would tow on all 4 wheels behind our MH and this works great.

arthuruscg
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM

I don't leave them helpless, I just don't pull them out with my Taurus. I offer rides and a phone call. If they can't afford good tires, then they can't afford the lawyer bills after they kill someone. Or afford to replace their car after they hit a tree. They got lucky when they just slid off the road.

I also put my $ where my mouth is. Before winter i measure the tread depth of the tires, if they are under 6/32 they are replaced. All other times i replace them at 4/32. The legal minimum is 2/32 BUT that is for dry weather.

Also, the 2000 to 2006 Taurus Wagons also had a 3rd row. They are cheep to buy and the insurance is cheep too. When mine eventually dies it is going to be replaced with a Mazda 5. It has seating for 6 and a drives more like a car then a minivan.

disneysteve
01-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Id be willing to bet most minivan owners, werent exactly excited to buy their first one....but Id also bet most of them are also like me, and know that even when the kids are gone, the van will stay!

Not us. We were thrilled to get our first minivan. We had actually talked about getting one before we had our daughter but didn't actually do it until after she was born. It is so convenient to have a vehicle that can carry stuff. When we just had 2 regular cars, it was often a challenge when we bought anything of any size. Try getting a 24 foot ladder home from Home Depot in a Camry.

We bought our first van in 1996 and have had one ever since. We only have one kid and she is now 16 but the van isn't going anywhere. We pack that thing solid when we drive to Disney every year.

DawnM
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
I think OP is gone.

GoofyMomInOhio
01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
OT ~ I'm pretty sure that she babysits for the little one and will babysit her little sister when she is born. I recognize her from one of the Gymboree forums that I frequent.

MrsPete
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
OT ~ I'm pretty sure that she babysits for the little one and will babysit her little sister when she is born. I recognize her from one of the Gymboree forums that I frequent.She's buying a new, larger vehicle so she can keep babysitting two kids?

I'd have to do the math on that one. I suspect that increasing the car payment AND paying more at the pump AND paying a larger insurance bill will essentially cancel out the profit from babysitting the kids.

crisi
01-24-2012, 08:57 PM

This is blunt....I make a lot of money. My husband makes more than I do. I don't drive an expensive car (to me, its something to get around in), he does. We save for a few years, pay cash, and buy used.

Swan4Me
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
She's buying a new, larger vehicle so she can keep babysitting two kids?

I'd have to do the math on that one. I suspect that increasing the car payment AND paying more at the pump AND paying a larger insurance bill will essentially cancel out the profit from babysitting the kids.

Then Its pure nonsense to go into more debt for such a small retun ( babysitting)

gk90
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM

How we afford expensive cars is to let others buy them new, drive them for a little while and take the major hit in depreciation. Then we come in and own them until they can't get themselves down the driveway anymore. Case in point, my vehicle is a 2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali with ALL the bells and whistles available that year, bought 3 years ago with 70K miles for $17,000 which was less than 1/3 of what it cost the first sucker, I mean buyer, to drive it off the lot brand new. 80K miles later, it's still going strong with only routine maintenance and preemptive starter and alternator replacements about 10K miles ago.

-Astrid

Buying used is a good way to go if you want a more expensive car. The 1st year depreciation is your friend. It may take a couple of months for the right car to come along if you're in a small market but think of it as a wait that could save you several thousand $$

i didn't know the Rav-4 had 3rd row.....i will have to look into that! thanks

The RAV-4 looks good in reviews and pictures so we test-drove one and found out that the 3rd row seat is tiny and cramped, even for a young child. It's not a place you'd want to have kids in every day or even once a week. It should come with some kind of disclaimer like "emergency use only"

ThisIsTheYear
01-24-2012, 11:55 PM
People constantly think they're new because they look that way (can't understand people letting their cars look like rattle-traps, not waxing, washing vacuuming them, etc)

I completely agree! I don't understand how (some) people spend hundreds of dollars a month on their car and they beat on it, or slap on some bumper stickers. My car is a 2006 and as soon as it gets a ding, I get it fixed. Since having my DS it's not as 'neat' though. :)

hipchickie
01-25-2012, 12:51 AM

I just can't let this go, it is just SO completely wrong :lmao:

indimom
01-25-2012, 06:11 AM
If the two youngest kids are just there for babysitting, I just wouldn't go out while they are there. That's what I've done for the last 16 years. Saves a lot of liability and expense that way.

mrodgers
01-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Obviously you have never driven a car with snow tires....

My Honda went better in snow (test drove through 30 plus inches unplowed in work parking lot) than most of the autocrap they call 4WD these days and just as good as my old real 4WD with off-road tires.

fakereadhed
01-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't have an expensive car. I have a cheap car that seats 6, with a 3rd row. Check out the Mazda 5.

I would tell you how much my payments are but you'd be jealous. ;) It is fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, fits my family of 5, and is cheap.

Luxurious and heavy like an SUV it is certainly not. I don't want to afford an expensive car. For me it's getting from A to B, and not worth it.

MyDizneyBoyz
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Considering that it's not illegal to put a child under 12 in the front seat in NYS, you don't "need" a new car. While it's encouraged that children under 12 not sit in the front, if all other seatbelts are in use and the child in question is not using a rear-facing infant seat, then they can sit in the front seat.

Having spent a lot of time in NY and having had this as an issue myself, I know this to be the case. Here is the info from NY:

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-1.htm

Now, it's definitely a personal choice and without knowing the ages of the children in question, it all depends on your personal comfort zone. While I don't have an expensive car per se, but I suppose that's a relative term, it does automatically deactivate the front air bag unless the occupant is heavier than a particular weight threshold. If the child is old/large enough to sit in the seat without a booster, I'd allow them to sit up front if all other seat belts are in use.

As far as the best way to obtain a larger "expensive" car, I'd buy used or "certified pre-owned" as the politically correct would say. Let someone else take the first year depreciation hit.

arthuruscg
01-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Now if a fwd and the awd/4wd both had snow tires then the awd/4wd wins for acceleration and crash avoidance hands down but will be equal in breaking.
But If the fwd car has snow tires and the awd/4wd is still using the crappy OEM / garbage tires then the FWD car wins.

Tires are the only contact your car has with the road and if they are crappy or not operating with in their designed range, then you are SOL.

sbell111
01-25-2012, 10:31 AM

if i have to have a higher car payment i will, but im looking to see if there is some out of the box idea's on affording an expensive car without a huge payment that im missingI'm with you, I hate minivans, also.

As others have mentioned, the magic bullet is to use a mixed approach. Save up some money to use as a down payment. Trade in your current car to further reduce the amount financed. Get a used car. Extend your payback period some.

Obviously you have never driven a car with snow tires....

My Honda went better in snow (test drove through 30 plus inches unplowed in work parking lot) than most of the autocrap they call 4WD these days and just as good as my old real 4WD with off-road tires.I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you are wrong. The mere fact that you do OK in snow in your little Honda does not mean that snow tires are more important than 4wd or that 4wd isn't mighty useful in the snow. (It should be noted that 'off road' tires might not be best in the snow, or even any time 'on road'). Further, most people aren't going to buy tires just for winter, so 'snow' tires tend to be out for them. They are going to buy a good all season or all terrain tire. Many of which have very good snow/ice ratings.

Finally, I should mention that I have driven my Jeep with 'snow' tires. I didn't prefer them and went back to an all terrain tire. However, my use of them allowed me the opportunity to drive my Jeep with them on it in the snow in both 4wd and 2wd. It was no surprise that 4wd was better. Much better. Having switched back to AT tires, I can tell you that 4wd with AT tires performs much better than 2wd with snow tires.

sbell111
01-25-2012, 10:40 AM
<deleted duplicate post>

1Jackpot
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I just bought a 2012 Cadillac escalade ESV and purchased it with cash. I have 4 children and a minivan just didn't have enough cargo room for my needs. Plus, the advantages of the AWD was a plus.

I hope you find an affordable option soon!

crisi
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
I just bought a 2012 Cadillac escalade ESV and purchased it with cash. I have 4 children and a minivan just didn't have enough cargo room for my needs. Plus, the advantages of the AWD was a plus.

So how did you afford it? Above average salary? Inheritance from Grandma? Saved aluminum cans? My favorite, the bathtub meth lab? ;)

(Nice car, my sister drove one for a long time).

Swan4Me
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
crisi-read the rest of 1jackpot's posts.....they are really.... .amusing

:rolleyes1

http://www.disboards.com/search.php?searchid=25908803

GOOFY4DONALD
01-25-2012, 09:06 PM

http://www.disboards.com/search.php?searchid=25908803 I just read some of her posts. All I can say if they are even remotely true what in the H*E* double hockey sticks is she doing reading the budget board.

Swan4Me
01-25-2012, 09:12 PM
So true!!!:rotfl2:

Swimalie
01-26-2012, 07:34 AM

http://www.disboards.com/search.php?searchid=25908803

Wow, big house, brand new paid for expensive car, a month stay in a suite, flying privately and has a house keeper - all without she or her husband working. I'd love to know her secret :rotfl:

DawnM
01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
I was thinking maybe she could give OP her older minivan! :good vibes

Dawn

I just read some of her posts. All I can say if they are even remotely true what in the H*E* double hockey sticks is she doing reading the budget board.

Swan4Me
01-26-2012, 07:51 AM

:dance3: :rotfl2::flower3:

hsmamato2
01-26-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't have an expensive car. I have a cheap car that seats 6, with a 3rd row. Check out the Mazda 5.

Oh my....it's a 4 seater,this car...... I agree that is has that 3rd row,but my 12 year old couldn't fit his (adimttedly large:rotfl2:) feet in the seats of the 3rd row....so it works if you have some *very* tiny people to transport...otherwise my Sonata (5 full seats) has more room....
BTW can't believe this thread is still alive!:thumbsup2

auralia
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I can fit in the back of my much loved Mazda 5... Abet I am 5 feet tall, but I fit just fine. My children fit too, but with that third row up there is almost no cargo room. It works for us but we have 2 kids. It would be worth looking at though to see if it would work! I love mine!

1Jackpot
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
So how did you afford it? Above average salary? Inheritance from Grandma? Saved aluminum cans? My favorite, the bathtub meth lab? ;)

(Nice car, my sister drove one for a long time).

I thought my user name was self explanatory. I guess not!

I just read some of her posts. All I can say if they are even remotely true what in the H*E* double hockey sticks is she doing reading the budget board.

Now, I am quite new to posting on these boards, (have been reading them for awhile), but I had no idea there were income requirements for reading and posting on this board. I must have missed that particular rule when I signed up. I always read each 'board' when I sign on. I guess I have to change my habits per the income requirement.

disneysteve
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Now, I am quite new to posting on these boards, (have been reading them for awhile), but I had no idea there were income requirements for reading and posting on this board. I must have missed that particular rule when I signed up. I always read each 'board' when I sign on. I guess I have to change my habits per the income requirement.

I'm always amused by folks who think that people with a lot of money don't need to take care of it. I don't care how much you have. You still need to live below your means, save for the future and not blow what you've got. 1Jackpot, there is certainly no income requirement to participate here. Welcome to the site. And congrats on your good fortune. Was it lottery or casino (if you care to share)?

punkin
01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm always amused by folks who think that people with a lot of money don't need to take care of it. I don't care how much you have. You still need to live below your means, save for the future and not blow what you've got. 1Jackpot, there is certainly no income requirement to participate here. Welcome to the site. And congrats on your good fortune. Was it lottery or casino (if you care to share)?

:thumbsup2 This is the truth!!! I try to live way below my means (with occasional splurges) but the truth is, I have to budget or money starts slipping through my fingers and I have no idea where it went. If I make a conscious decision to buy an expensive car and budget for it, that's fine. If I make a spur of the moment decision to buy a Ferrari with DD's college fund...that's a problem. I have the money to buy the Ferrari. Heck, the money is in the bank just waiting to be spent, but because I budget, I drive older (though very nice cars) and DD doesn't have to worry about paying for college.

BTW, those with a sudden windfall (lottery, casino, inheritance) who are not used to having money are the ones who could benefit from budgeting the most.

1Jackpot
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Thank you, Disney steve, for the welcome. My good fortune came to me through a substantial lottery win. I am very blessed! :cloud9:

*pixie*dust*
01-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I think OP is gone.

This!

mrodgers
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
This is because most people think of "budget" as the adjective, inexpensive or cheap. Budget as a noun is planning your income/savings vs. expenses which benefits you no matter how much income or savings you have.

VAfamily1998
01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm always amused by folks who think that people with a lot of money don't need to take care of it. I don't care how much you have. You still need to live below your means, save for the future and not blow what you've got.

Very true. Think of how many celebrities that have earned millions, later end up filing for bankruptcy, houses in foreclosure, etc. because they weren't careful with their money...

Patience
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Yes, yes and yes! "Budget" is a noun and a verb to me, not an adjective. I budget my money to make it go as far as possible. Budgeting is helpful to everyone, regardless of income. The advice to live below your means and save for your future is one hundred percent spot on. :thumbsup2

crisi
01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Thank you, Disney steve, for the welcome. My good fortune came to me through a substantial lottery win. I am very blessed! :cloud9:

Congrats and welcome. Meth labs aren't safe to run in your bathtub, so I'm happy it was the lottery. ;)

And I agree with Steve, people with money need to budget, too.

crisi
01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
This is because most people think of "budget" as the adjective, inexpensive or cheap. Budget as a noun is planning your income/savings vs. expenses which benefits you no matter how much income or savings you have.

And budget as a verb is the planning process that we all need to do if we are going to make the best use of how much or little we have. I've learned plenty here from people who are poorer and richer than I am.

Natalie's Mommy
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM

agreed! AWD in harsh winters is a must have for me after i was in an awful car accident when i was 21 and messed up my knee.....and yes i had snow tires :rotfl2:

If the two youngest kids are just there for babysitting, I just wouldn't go out while they are there. That's what I've done for the last 16 years. Saves a lot of liability and expense that way.

what i make a month watching them will way more than cover the cost of a bigger car payment, more gas costs and insurance.

not to mention the fact that when i have kids in after school activities they need to get to just staying home isnt an option!

stitchlovestink
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
OP,
have you looked at the Ford Flex?
I LOVE :love: my Flex. It has a GREAT third row. You can get the auto fold seats in the second row so that you can access that third row so much easier than any van IMO!! the seats fold/flip all the way forward and we have had full sized adults sitting in the third row. It has the capability to seat 7 but we chose 6 because we wanted the console in the second row. We didn't go so far as to get the refrigerator console (seriously!) but we wanted the individual seats with the center console in the second row. My flex is a front wheel drive, but it is available in All wheel drive. It drives very well, has traction control with that rawl (I think that is how it is spelled) system which makes it about as roll proof as possible. The safety ratings are great. It doesn't sit high like the SUV, but you can have your seat inside the vehicle sit high, so you still have a great view like the SUV. It also has great views! I found some of the larger SUVs to have big blind spots, and I hated backing up in them! I drove a dozen different makes/models over 2 months before buying. And I would buy my Flex again in a heartbeat! It has a wonderful ride. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion... :goodvibes

Oh, and btw, I had a Pontiac Transport minivan that I was replacing. I was hit and they totaled my van. For a minivan, I did like the transport since it had the 3 full sized seats in the middle row. I loved that feature. But I didn't like the mini van enough to want another one! :lmao: Only thing was my sister used to make fun when she rode with me, said it was like riding in the front of the monorail...because the transports have those big slopey type windshields. :rotfl2:

Swan4Me
01-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Oh please-each post of yours is very troll-worthy
popcorn::

I guess Countess Lu-Ann was right.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDvlSAMhQU

scbelleatheart
01-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for explaining the name. I think it is great you won the lottery and you still read a Budget Board because money or not, you still may be very frugal and really plan on how this money will make difference in your lifestyle.
Congrats!

Swan4Me
01-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for explaining the name. I think it is great you won the lottery and you still read a Budget Board because money or not, you still may be very frugal and really plan on how this money will make difference in your lifestyle.
Congrats!

Read her posts on the DIS-suites for a month, private planes, no budget...;)

punkin
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM

I haven't read any of her posts but given what you say is true, she really needs a budget before she spends all that money. She's well on her way. (I know you think she's a troll with no money, but for argument's sake).

scbelleatheart
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I guess that's why you hear about people who blow through a boatload of cash or those who really worked their butt off to get it. I hope she is one of the latter.

GOOFY4DONALD
01-26-2012, 08:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDvlSAMhQUThe reason I posted what I did was because this lottery winner did not want to get some great ideas. This lottery winner seemed to want everyone on the budget board know she did not have to budget and could rub it in the faces of those putting coins in a jar that she wanted to stay a month at The Poly's King Suite. BTW I agree budget are for all (my Grandfather died with quite a large estate but he also drove an older car and wore the same clothes for years...why? because what he had still worked..he budgeted..but then he also earned his money) but that is not the reason for the visit.

1Jackpot
01-27-2012, 09:52 AM
The reason I posted what I did was because this lottery winner did not want to get some great ideas. This lottery winner seemed to want everyone on the budget board know she did not have to budget and could rub it in the faces of those putting coins in a jar that she wanted to stay a month at The Poly's King Suite. BTW I agree budget are for all (my Grandfather died with quite a large estate but he also drove an older car and wore the same clothes for years...why? because what he had still worked..he budgeted..but then he also earned his money) but that is not the reason for the visit.

I didn't come to the budget board and tell people about my future plans of staying at the Polynesian for an extended stay. I believe that post was on the resort board, which is the proper place for it, if I'm not mistaken. If other posters looked up my posts, that's not really my fault. Initially, I came to this board because a Disney rewards Visa thread caught my eye. I didn't come to this board to 'rub anything' in anyone's face. That much is clear.

hipchickie
01-27-2012, 10:08 AM
I didn't come to the budget board and tell people about my future plans of staying at the Polynesian for an extended stay. I believe that post was on the resort board, which is the proper place for it, if I'm not mistaken. If other posters looked up my posts, that's not really my fault. Initially, I came to this board because a Disney rewards Visa thread caught my eye. I didn't come to this board to 'rub anything' in anyone's face. That much is clear.

Exactly - 1jackpot actually answered the OP's question, and people jumping on her for being wealthy is ridiculous. Other peoples jealousy is not her fault or problem
Honestly, tracking down other posts on other boards?

1Jackpot
01-27-2012, 11:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDvlSAMhQU

If you read my original post in this thread, you will see the majority of my answer had to do with the benefits of an SUV versus a minivan. Only when asked and confronted about how I made my purchase did I answer. I didn't come to this thread going 'look at me!! I have millions in the bank'.

I have no idea who your 'countess luann' is, but I certainly wouldn't take advice from supposed royalty singing on YouTube.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it's really no one's business how I afford an extended Disney stay or if I choose to take a vacation with no budget. (you implied my whole life is 'no budget', which simply isn't true).

I've dealt with some ugly feelings from strangers in the past. Jealousy is a very ugly emotion to harbor. We all know you will come back with a 'I'm not jealous' type of a statement, but it's VERY evident in your posts.

I would also like to apologize to the OP. Your thread has taken an unexpected detour and I am sorry.

melissapealo
01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I would say you either make a larger down payment, pay for more months or make the larger payment.

Also it is not a law in NY that children under 12 can't sit in the front. I agree the back seat is safer but it isn't required.

NHSTA recommends that all children age 12 and under ride in the back seat. This is NOT a law.

SaraJayne
01-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Exactly - 1jackpot actually answered the OP's question, and people jumping on her for being wealthy is ridiculous. Other peoples jealousy is not her fault or problem
Honestly, tracking down other posts on other boards?

You mean other forums. Any post on the disboards can easily be seen by anyone, even though it may be in a different forum of the board. Each forum does not exist in a vacuum.

StitchandPooh'sMom
01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I drive a 2008 Toyota Sienna that I love. It is my third Sienna - the first did great in Upstate NY winters for 6 years. The second was AWD and did great on unplowed WV roads (except that the run flat tires were really expensive), and the third has no reason to worry about snow where we live now! :goodvibes

But if you don't like minvans, you don't like minivans. DH just bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander with a third row seat. It cost about the same as my Sienna and is smaller, but he feels better driving it. :rotfl2: His car is plenty functional for the soccer carpool, but we will still take mine on vacation - it has a lot more storage space if you need to use the third row for people. You can buy the Highlander without all the bells, whistles, leather, etc. that DH bought, and I think the base model is about $10K less than his car.

As others said before me, you can

1. pay cash for your cars
2. put down a large downpayment (or have a trade-in worth a good amount)
3. buy used
4. finance longer (I personally don't recommend this, but it is an option)
5. lease (maybe?) - not sure this is a good deal for most people, but I do know people who leased nice cars so they would have a lower payment
6. budget for higher payments.

DISdreamin'
01-27-2012, 02:30 PM
I've dealt with some ugly feelings from strangers in the past. Jealousy is a very ugly emotion to harbor. We all know you will come back with a 'I'm not jealous' type of a statement, but it's VERY evident in your posts.
I'm jealous! ;) I'll never win the lottery, but hey. I am sure there are headaches that go along with it.

okeydokey
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
what i make a month watching them will way more than cover the cost of a bigger car payment, more gas costs and insurance.

not to mention the fact that when i have kids in after school activities they need to get to just staying home isnt an option!

Than what's the issue? You just said you can afford it, so go ahead and buy it.