PDA

View Full Version : GKTW Meet: Potential First Canadian Bash, August 11, 2012

hockeymomNS
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I have asked for any interest in on the Canadian board, but considering how close we are to the North East US, thought I'd check in here.

I am doing some early planning for a summer GKTW fundraiser in or close to Halifax. Just trying to get some numbers of those who may be interested so I know which venue to try and secure.

btw I am in a unique position as very dear friends of ours experienced the GKTW journey with their now deceased son.....probably thinking that my local, non Dis numbers may be higher due to this.

Hope on in and join the fun!!!!:banana::banana:

Event is a GO!!!!!
August 11, just outside Halifax. We have a local family restaurant/pub reserved. Going to have a great afternoon of food, music, auction, raffles and good ole socializing. We have a great team ready to raise money and ensure a good time is had by all.
Tickets are $10.00 each for 9 and over (keeping with Disney). With each ticket bought, you will get 5 ballots/tickets to the penny auction. If you can't make it, but want to contribute, we have a team ready to sign your name to your ballots and randomly deposit them.

*NikkiBell*
01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm going to move this over to our official GKTW planning forum. Good luck with your meet! :)

Loves2Read
01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
As someone who lives in the area I'd definately be interested in this. :goodvibes

hockeymomNS
01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks Nikki, I wasn't sure where to put it because I don't have a date nailed down yet.

hockeymomNS
01-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Date to be confirmed Monday.........for now we are looking at August 11, 2012

hockeymomNS
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Our GKTW/Dis Meet is set to go
-Saturday August 11, 2012
-Angles Family Eatery & Pub, Lr. Sackville, NS
www.anglespub.net
- 2:00 registration & auction viewing/bidding (silent
auction and penny auction) - Incredible door prize!
- 3:00 music/ kitchen party
- 4:00 prize drawings, auction bids awarded,
more meeting 'n greeting

Cost is $10.00 for those 9 and over (in keeping with Disney prices). Each ticket comes with 5 silent auction ballots. Additional ballots can be purchased for $. 50 each.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Tinkershelly
02-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Awesome! I'm dusting off my Mickey ears for sure! :thumbsup2

Loves2Read
02-06-2012, 08:38 AM
The meet was mentioned on this week's podcast!:banana:

Applemomma
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
The meet was mentioned on this week's podcast!:banana:

I nearly dropped what I was holding when I heard it! And that's not good since it was firewood :)

I hope they can make it...it would be a huge boost for us and I for one would love to show them some maritime hospitality :banana:

hockeymomNS
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
It is going to be a blast, that is for sure!!!!

OKW Lover
02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
If somebody from a bit south of you were to do a road-trip :car:, will you accept US money? ;)

hockeymomNS
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Jeff Darling, not only would I accept it, I'll give you a big ole Nova Scotian hug.:love:::yay:

btw offer is still open for personal excursion guide.

cdotla
02-11-2012, 08:19 AM
I too was thrilled to hear about this on the podcast. Unfortunately we have tentatively planned to be in California at that time...so bummed about that, as I would have attended for sure!

If something falls through with my trip, or if the date happens to change (perhaps to accomodate Pete) you can count me in! :)

Too bad the meet didn't coincide with a day that the Magic happened to be in port this summer....;)

ninecrayons
02-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Depending on how things work out that summer, I might do a roadtrip myself. :) I love NS and haven't been there in ages. Hubby is actually going there next week for business.

Applemomma
02-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Depending on how things work out that summer, I might do a roadtrip myself. :) I love NS and haven't been there in ages. Hubby is actually going there next week for business.

We'd love to have you!!! We're getting excited already about it :banana:

jkpmac
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I can't Commit yet, but would neighbours to the immediate west of you be welcome?

hockeymomNS
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
YOU BET!!!!

It is going to be soooo much fun. We have plans scheduled for Saturday and some ideas for Sunday - depending on who is still around. The tickets officially go on sale in May.

Come on now, start planning!!!!:banana::banana:

Applemomma
03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I can't Commit yet, but would neighbours to the immediate west of you be welcome?

Honey, you could be to the FAR west and still be welcome!! :thumbsup2

OKW Lover
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Sigh. Looking at the calendar we are realizing that we really don't have the time to make this road trip. We're going to be getting back from the ABD trip on 8/6 at almost midnight. So, turning around in a few days to drive up to NS just isn't going to work out.

Sad that we won't make it. I knew it would have been fun.

hockeymomNS
03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Sigh. Looking at the calendar we are realizing that we really don't have the time to make this road trip. We're going to be getting back from the ABD trip on 8/6 at almost midnight. So, turning around in a few days to drive up to NS just isn't going to work out.

Sad that we won't make it. I knew it would have been fun.

Shoot, we will miss you. I'll mail you a CD of the music, including the song (being written as I type) created as a tribute to the day.

pxlbarrel
03-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Wow, wish I could come ... I haven't been to the Maritimes since I was a kid (shameful, I know).

hockeymomNS
04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Planning for our event is in full swing and tickets "officially" go on sale May 11.
I am also very excited about volunteering at GKTW on April 30th!!!! No doubt I will be bringing back some goodies for our auction.

newmouse2008
05-01-2012, 08:10 PM
So, tell me what the weather will be like......:rolleyes1

T

Applemomma
05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
So, tell me what the weather will be like......:rolleyes1

T

You're going to love it....usually around mid to high 70's...low 80's is unusual but the low humidity (well lower then Orlando anyway) is going to feel great!

I can't wait to see you Teresa and you'll love Nova Scotia so much you'll be planning a return trip!

hockeymomNS
05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Tickets for this event are $10.00 for an afternoon of music, fun and friendship. They are officially on sale now!

jkpmac
05-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Still in the process of planning a camping trip to Nova scotia around the time of the fund-raiser. Anyone reccomend a good campsite near Upper Clemens park? Need 30 amp water and sewage for a 19 foot hybrid trailer.

hockeymomNS
05-14-2012, 10:43 AM
http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/accommodations/accommodationscampgrounds.aspx?mode=14&regid=6&commid=248&catid=3

I have stayed at Jagger's Point and it was lovely. Both of these campgrounds are on the other side of UCP from here. I'll ask around for places closer. There are loads of campgrounds in the Annapolis Valley which would put you half way between our event ant the park.

3Rouselings
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I just heard them talking about this event on the podcast from last week - I was very happy and pleasantly surprised to hear that something DIS related will be so close by! I live in NB, just outside of Saint Joh and I am hoping that we will be able to attend, if only to meet some of the voices who I love listening to :)
Although I could have done without all the Canadian teasin, eh! All the best with planning your event if I can help at all please let me know.

Applemomma
05-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Still in the process of planning a camping trip to Nova scotia around the time of the fund-raiser. Anyone reccomend a good campsite near Upper Clemens park? Need 30 amp water and sewage for a 19 foot hybrid trailer.

Let me ask some friends and I'll get back to you!

3Rouselings
05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Check out:
http://www.campjellystone.com/parks/2001.html that is in Kingston NS

OR

http://www.exploreannapolisroyal.com/links_accommodations.html

hockeymomNS
05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the offers of help.
I myself am just back from WDW and volunteering at GKTW, so I am trying to get my body off of vacation mode. I will let you know if we need anything.

I would suggest that anyone who is interested in coming, to check in on ticket availability periodically. They are selling a bit faster than we expected.

Applemomma
05-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Okay, here's a start for you....

This place is directly across the road from Upper Clements: http://www.upperclementscottages.ca/upperclements-RV.html

This place comes highly recommended by some of my friends: http://www.dunromincampground.ca/

And of course there's one of the best provincial parks to be found at: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/activ/camping.aspx

Keep in mind these are all between 2 and 3 1/2 hours away from Halifax. If you need anything else let me know!

Dawn

hockeymomNS
05-25-2012, 08:43 PM
We are just over the 1/2 way mark in ticket sales, so if you are thinking of coming, you might want to at least get some put on hold. We are going to hold tickets without payment until July 15.

Boy it is going to be a blast.

jkpmac
05-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the camping tips!

Definetely interested in comng, but I can't confirm until the first week of June.

Applemomma
06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Just a plug for our DisMeet ….it’s going to be a terrific time! :cool1:

Here’s the details again….
Saturday August 11, 2012 at Angles Family Eatery & Pub, Lr. Sackville, NS (www.anglespub.net)
2:00 registration & auction viewing/bidding (silent auction and penny auction) - Incredible door prize!
3:00 music/ kitchen party
4:00 prize drawings, auction bids awarded, more meeting 'n greeting

Special guests from the DisUnplugged, Kathy Werling and Teresa Echols all the way from Orlando, will be joining us! :thumbsup2

Plus we’re hoping to plan more events during the weekend, for anyone that would like to get together for a good time or maybe play “tourist”.

Cost is $10.00 for those 9 and over (in keeping with Disney prices). Each ticket comes with 5 silent auction ballots. Additional ballots can be purchased for $. 50 each

The auction prizes are piling up, the band is warming up :rockband: and the excitement is revving up….all we need now is you!!! :cheer2:

Tickets are limited so contact HockeymomNS to secure your spot! And if you need help planning your trip, or need info on Nova Scotia in general, please don’t hesitate to ask!!

hockeymomNS
06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
We only have 40 tickets left for our event. Contact me if you need tickets.

jkpmac
06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Unfortunately I can't make it, we won't be heading to Nova Scotia until after the week-end. Like to make a donation though. PM me with the details

UConnFan
07-01-2012, 11:42 AM
The closer it gets, the more excited I am! I have to admit, I'm so excited to meet Kathy and Teresa. I feel like I'm meeting celebrities who are also friends. I've always wanted to Facebook friend you ladies but I've felt like a creeper. Now maybe I can legitimately!!

newmouse2008
07-01-2012, 12:59 PM
The closer it gets, the more excited I am! I have to admit, I'm so excited to meet Kathy and Teresa. I feel like I'm meeting celebrities who are also friends. I've always wanted to Facebook friend you ladies but I've felt like a creeper. Now maybe I can legitimately!!

We are going to have so much fun!! I cannot wait to meet everyone. Please be my friend on facebook!!!!

T:)

safetymom
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Please friend me on FB also. I can't wait to meet everyone.

hockeymomNS
07-05-2012, 07:44 PM
The Nova Scotia Meet is SOLD OUT!!!!
Gonna be a blast as 142 of us show em how it is done!!!!:dance3::dance3::dance3:

Tinkershelly
07-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Well I guess next year we'll have to book the Metro Centre!:rotfl2:

newmouse2008
07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
One month to go!!!!!!!!!:cool1:

T.

Applemomma
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Holy crow T!!! Way to give me a panic attack!!!! Ack!

Applemomma
07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone! We're planning events around the actual date of the DisMeet in case anyone wants a little extra fun!

Here's Sunday's rough itinerary!

Look for more details tomorrow night (just got home from job #2 and I'm wiped) but essentially we've changed the order of things a bit. We'll meet at exit 11 in New Minas at the Irving (may be possibility of carpooling for some from the city), travel out to Halls Harbour to do some wandering around, picture taking, gift shop partaking etc.

Then on to the Blomidon Lookoff for a short picture opportunity, then to Blomidon Provincial Park where we will have our corn boil. Lots of opportunity to play in the sand, the mud flats, walk the ocean floor, visit with each other. The tide will be almost all the way out so the reason why we have the distinction of having the highest tides in the world will be pretty evident!

From there for anyone that would like to go fossil hunting we'll continue on to Blue Beach!

I'll have a full itinerary, with times, local maps in case someone wants to divert from the group and rejoin us for any reason, and more pretty soon! Now I just need a head count so I know how much food to bring!

Applemomma
07-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Hey everyone! We're planning events around the actual date of the DisMeet in case anyone wants a little extra fun!

Here's Sunday's rough itinerary!

Look for more details tomorrow night (just got home from job #2 and I'm wiped) but essentially we've changed the order of things a bit. We'll meet at exit 11 in New Minas at the Irving (may be possibility of carpooling for some from the city), travel out to Halls Harbour to do some wandering around, picture taking, gift shop partaking etc.

Then on to the Blomidon Lookoff for a short picture opportunity, then to Blomidon Provincial Park where we will have our corn boil. Lots of opportunity to play in the sand, the mud flats, walk the ocean floor, visit with each other. The tide will be almost all the way out so the reason why we have the distinction of having the highest tides in the world will be pretty evident!

From there for anyone that would like to go fossil hunting we'll continue on to Blue Beach!

I'll have a full itinerary, with times, local maps in case someone wants to divert from the group and rejoin us for any reason, and more pretty soon! Now I just need a head count so I know how much food to bring!

Tinkershelly
07-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Count two heads for my group, we'll be there for sure. :thumbsup2

cdotla
08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Did I miss the recap of this event? I can't find it anywhere on the boards...

I was so sorry to have missed the event, but I was away at the D23 Destination D event in California, and just returned yesterday.

Hope it was a great success and lots of fun!!!:goodvibes

Applemomma
08-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Did I miss the recap of this event? I can't find it anywhere on the boards...

I was so sorry to have missed the event, but I was away at the D23 Destination D event in California, and just returned yesterday.

Hope it was a great success and lots of fun!!!:goodvibes

Hi! No you didn't miss a recap. We were, for the most part, going to let Kathy and Teresa tell all about it on the podcast but we did AWESOME! We raised over $5300 and still counting!!!

There was laughter, tears, singing, dancing and best of all ..... lots of friendships formed...oh yah, and mud...there was mud involved ;)

OKW Lover
08-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Congratulations on the hugely successful event! I'm looking forward to hearing the recap of it on the next podcast by Kathy and Big Foot.

safetymom
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I will have a blog with pictures and we will talk about it on the Podcast.

*NikkiBell*
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I will have a blog with pictures and we will talk about it on the Podcast.

Looking forward to it! :yay:

hockeymomNS
08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
..............however there will be no discussion of the mud!!!!!!!

Applemomma
08-17-2012, 02:21 PM
..............however there will be no discussion of the mud!!!!!!!

:rolleyes1

safetymom
08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Blog about the event: http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/22/give-kids-the-world-fundraiser-in-nova-scotia/

Podcast segment (http://ec.libsyn.com/p/3/5/e/35e04fd2a1f6c024/roundtable512-082212-NovaScotia.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089a b1ce3dae902ea1d01cc8231d7cb5a0cea&c_id=4861065)