PDA

View Full Version : GCH Standard View - Questions

Aby
01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Hello all,

We are thinking of a short notice trip to Disneyland in the middle of February, and I have my heart set on the Grand Californian. I have found a great deal on a vacation package but I cannot afford anything but a standard view.

First, I am a bit confused as to what a standard view means, because in the vacation package I can only choose 3 different views - standard, downtown disney, or CA view. Looking at the GCH mega thread, there appears to be an extra view now for woods/courtyard/garden view.

In the descriptions in my package, it says that a standard view is a "view of the courtyard or pool"... so I'm hoping that that's what I would get...but the standard view wording throws me off - I wish they'd use the same as the resorts!

Anyway, enough rambling...

1. Is the GCH worth staying in even if I can only get a bare bones standard view? Will I still enjoy the rooms, the atmosphere of the hotel, the closeness to the parks?

2. How busy are the hotels the February *before* the long weekend? Would the chances of getting at least a small upgrade from parking lot to garden be good if they are less busy?

3. I could also do the DL hotel, premium view for less than the cost of the standard room. But it's just my hubby and I and the GCH seems so much more romantic and themed - we love Disney but we don't need the rooms & hotel to scream Disney!

What do you all think? Is it still worth it to to the the GCH regardless of the view??

Thanks in advance!

Aby

Homemom
01-08-2012, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=Aby;43668260

What do you all think? Is it still worth it to to the the GCH regardless of the view??
[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, yes. We love the location and easy access to the parks. We love the hotel! However, we have always booked the cheapest room and being off season have always been upgraded to a room with a view of CA. We have stayed at DLH (pre renovation) and prefer the Grand due to location and theme.

Echie
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I agree! The GCH is definitely still worth it even if you book a standard room! You'll enjoy the atmosphere and the proximity!!

Actually when we stayed there we booked the cheapest standard room and ended up with a downtown disney view room which was really fun to sit on the balcony and people watch, and we could see the fireworks from our balcony too! :)

3Minnies1Mickey
01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Make sure to price out hotel and tickets separately. It's often cheaper.

KCmike
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Our standard room view was of the parking lot looking out onto the Paradise Pier Hotel. We still think the GCH is the best.

blackjackdelta
01-08-2012, 04:12 PM
We also think the Grand Californian is the best if you can swing it. We have had many views.

Jack

ArchOwl
01-08-2012, 04:29 PM
DH and I stayed for our anniversary and loved every minute of it. We had a standard room and our overlooked a courtyard and you could see the monorail. It was worth every penny and more to have such a nicely themed resort and be just steps from the parks. We will be going back sometime this year for sure! Have fun!

DizMe
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I've had mostly standard rooms. This was before they made courtyard a higher tier--it used to be part of the standard room level and you could request it as such. I usually got courtyard but occasionally, parking lot view.

In October, we decided to try a premium view room. We had a nice view of GRR. In December, my sister and I had a premium view room with a pool view.

I've also stayed concierge (standard view).

What I discovered is that the view doesn't matter much at all to me as I rarely pay much attention to it! I'd much rather be close to the elevators than looking out at the pool :rotfl:, so next time I will likely go back to standard view and ask for a certain wing I like that has easy access to the pool, restaurants, lobby, and CA. If I were to upgrade, it would be to concierge and not a premium view, but concierge is pretty pricey.

Aby
01-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Thank you all for your insights. I feel much more comfortable going with a standard view now that I have heard others thoughts. I'm hoping that since the vacation package does state that their definition of a standard view is a view of the courtyard or pool, that they just have different terms for the room views than the hotel. And if not, since we're going in the off season I can always ask for a small upgrade if one is available.

Now just the few days of agony waiting to see if my hubby can get the time off or not so that I can actually book it!

Aby

angiemouse
01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I loved our standard rooms. I thought the pool view was great, even though views don't really matter to me. Have a great vacation!

pixiewings71
01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
We had a standard room, we had a DTD view. It was really fun but we didn't spend that much time in the room. That said, I would definitely stay there again because it felt really good. :) I'd book the standard room, then when you check in see if any upgrades are available, you might get lucky and a park view room. :)

Aby
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone again who helped. I went ahead and booked us for the GCH in a standard room for a week in Feb! We are so excited!!!

Aby