PDA

View Full Version : DLH free room upgrades?

SilentFeline
01-08-2012, 01:28 AM
I remember reading a while ago (before the remodel) that the DLH offered some people free room upgrades during the off season. Does anyone know if they still do this? If so, would we have to ask for the upgrade or will the staff just offer it if it's available? My DBF and I will be there the week of January 15, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

skiingfast
01-08-2012, 01:34 AM
I remember reading a while ago (before the remodel) that the DLH offered some people free room upgrades during the off season. Does anyone know if they still do this? If so, would we have to ask for the upgrade or will the staff just offer it if it's available? My DBF and I will be there the week of January 15, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I you ask, expect to pay for the upgrade. If it's a special occasion note it on the reservation. There are always plenty of people there for a special occasion that are the priority to recieve upgrade magic.

seattledeb
01-08-2012, 02:37 AM
We got an upgrade. I don't know why-I guess it was just our lucky day.

Aust
01-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Not the DLH, but GCH, a year ago today - my sister, niece and I were upgraded for free to a better view when my sister asked if it was possible. At first the CM said none were available, but then she found one that was ready for us right away (at about 12pm) which was great as we'd just arrived from Australia - maybe she felt sorry for us being so tired!

94bruin
01-08-2012, 09:59 AM
When we were there in Dec, we got a free upgrade. We didn't ask; we were just offered.

cari12
01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
We stayed at the DLH in 2009 and we asked if we could have a room with a fireworks view as our kids were 4 and 6 and went to bed around 8:00pm so we did not want to have them out in the park that late (except for our TOT party night). CM found a room where we just had to look a little to the right out our window and we could see most of the fireworks (just not the low ones) and then kiddos could go to bed after.

OKW Lover
01-08-2012, 10:42 AM
We've found a good way to politely ask for an upgrade was to ask: "How much is it to upgrade our room?" Sometimes you're given a free upgrade, sometimes you'll have to pay.

lb2000
01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
We were upgraded to a suite in Sept. 2010. It was my daughter's birthday. We didn't ask, they just gave it to us. It was a great treat!

SilentFeline
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Thank you all for your replies! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. I just wasn't sure if free upgrades are even still offered.

LisainCalifornia
01-09-2012, 12:04 AM
The only DLR hotel we were every given an upgrade in was Paradise Pier. This was in June 2011. We booked a theme park view concierge room, and were upgraded to a suite. It was wonderful!

We have been to stayed at the Disneyland hotel a few times a year for the last 10 years (up until this past year--we have been on a break from it due to construction), and have never been given an upgrade. If we asked for a certain view or tower (after being told we didn't get what we requested)--they always say that the rooms are "fully booked" and cannot be changed.

We have stayed at Grand Californian 3 times, and have never been upgraded.

In all fairness I don't "ask" for an upgrade--but have asked for something that I previously called and requested (like a certain tower or park view) and been told no--it is not possible.

SilentFeline
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
The only DLR hotel we were every given an upgrade in was Paradise Pier. This was in June 2011. We booked a theme park view concierge room, and were upgraded to a suite. It was wonderful!

We have been to stayed at the Disneyland hotel a few times a year for the last 10 years (up until this past year--we have been on a break from it due to construction), and have never been given an upgrade. If we asked for a certain view or tower (after being told we didn't get what we requested)--they always say that the rooms are "fully booked" and cannot be changed.

We have stayed at Grand Californian 3 times, and have never been upgraded.

In all fairness I don't "ask" for an upgrade--but have asked for something that I previously called and requested (like a certain tower or park view) and been told no--it is not possible.

Hmm, interesting. Do you often go during off-season or peak times? In any case, we'll be happy if we just get the tower we requested (Fantasy) because that's where we stayed in 2009 before the remodel and we loved it. It's always a treat to stay on site so we won't complain either way. A free room upgrade would just be icing on the cake. :goodvibes

taaren
01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Both times we stayed at DLH (on DVC points, during May and September) we were given a view upgrade from Standard to ?Premium so we were overlooking the pool. Would not have paid for it, but it was nice. Mostly we wanted the tower closest to the park and they gave that to us both times ... you could also tell that the hotel was nowhere near capacity at the time. Didn't ask.

When we were at the Anaheim Marriott while I was checking in, my DH asked me "What do you mean we're not concierge? Don't we always get concierge?" and I explained to him I'm silver not platinum (my mom who we often travel with to Marriotts is platinum) the front desk person gave us a concierge room since my DH was so crestfallen at the potential lack of concierge there. Sometimes they can give you upgrades if they have them available just for looking sad apparently. :rolleyes:

Never hurts to ask but I tend to think if they have the upgrades available at low capacity times they hand them out fairly frequently without requests just for the goodwill factor of creating repeat guests. :flower3:

hootey
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
We recieved an upgrade to a suite on one of the upper floors last time. The upgrade was unexpected, they asked us when we checked in if we would like to try it. We were told the fireworks view was spectaculiar, never saw it from the room, always in the park. The room was nice.:cool1:

SilentFeline
01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Thank you for your responses! My boyfriend and I have decided that we won't ask for an upgrade, but we'll mention that we're there to celebrate his college graduation and see what happens. We forgot to mention that while making the reservations. I think his celebration coupled with the fact that the hotel shouldn't be filled to capacity gives us a decent chance of receiving an upgrade. If not, hey, we're still at the DLH and it's still Disneyland! :banana:

taaren
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Thank you for your responses! My boyfriend and I have decided that we won't ask for an upgrade, but we'll mention that we're there to celebrate his college graduation and see what happens. We forgot to mention that while making the reservations. I think his celebration coupled with the fact that the hotel shouldn't be filled to capacity gives us a decent chance of receiving an upgrade. If not, hey, we're still at the DLH and it's still Disneyland! :banana:
Great attitude! Good luck with the pixie dust! pixiedust: