PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Airlines

cari12
01-06-2012, 03:23 PM
We are starting to plan our Oct 2012 trip to DLR and we are from Vancouver, BC but we are going to fly out of Seattle (half the price for flights). There are some great deals but I am wondering are some airlines preferred over others? Are there certain ones to avoid? This is the list I am looking at:

American Airlines
Virgin America
Delta
UNITED
US Airways
Continental
Alaska Airlines

skiingfast
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I like Jet Blue.

I like anyother which has planes in good shape with modern intertiors. Is on time. Doesn't loose my baggage. No other airline has been consistent with all three.

Davids-Coco
01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
We fly Alaska. We have their card so we use the companion tickets and flights are very reasonable for us. Plus they run specials and fly into SNA. We only ever fly into SNA. They haven't lost our baggage or been late for us.

skiingfast
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Plus they run specials and fly into SNA. We only ever fly into SNA.

That is a good point. It's best to book because of price, and flights that work for you, time and location wise.

Huff
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
We like Southwest. Usually ontime and always great staff. When comparing prices note that SW does not charge for the 1st two checked bags. I also like them because I can cancel a flight and get 100% credit towards another flight within 1 year...hence no change fees.

nicolispicoli
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Of those, I LOVE virgin airlines! Great service, planes, prices, etc.

cp11
01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
We fly Jet Blue and we love it. It's awesome if you're travelling with kids because of the individual TVs in every headrest. Occupies the adults and the kids :thumbsup2

DLFan
01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I am from Victoria and we like to fly out of Vancouver. We have flown from Seattle, but it takes us even longer to get there. I have found some very good rates out of Vancouver on Alaska - almost as cheap as flying out of Seattle. We usually fly Alaska, but Westjet has flights from Vancouver to SNA as well. I think there is a seat sale right now on Westjet and Air Canada.

I have flown on Alaska from Seattle to Long Beach Airport. It is a small airport, but closer to DL than LAX.

Dizzy4DL
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
We will be flying Alaska for the third year in a row this February. Our connecting flight is through Seattle. If you keep a close eye on them, their prices can sometimes rival the low-cost airlines. Plus, they fly into SNA, a must have for us. :thumbsup2

But if checking a bag is important to you, then they may not be the best option.

nicolispicoli
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I definitely agree with the Jet Blue comments, they are just as great as Virgin, but I didn't see that on your list. If it's an option, I'd take it!

vettegirl
01-06-2012, 04:53 PM
My favorite is Continental, but that is going to change when the go United, and I will probably fly SW who I also love!

Mommy2PrincessAbby
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Jet Blue to LGB... hands down the best airline to fly on the west coast (we take them from PDX)... free good snacks, and lots of them... really nice people... LGB is a dream compared to LAX, and usually I can get out PDX-LGB tix for $59 or $79 each way per person. Can't beat it.

rentayenta
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
SLC to LGB via JetBlue. :thumbsup2 It's the only way to fly. ;)

MukilteoSailor
01-06-2012, 05:15 PM
We fly Alaska out of SeaTac. They have the most options going from Seattle to SoCal. We fly into either Long Beach or Orange Couny airport. Both are good airports. I avoid having to fly into LAX at all costs.

It also looks like Jet Blue flies into Long Beach for decent rates and has several flights a day.

Davids-Coco
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Also consider transportation once you get there. Super shuttle, cab or rental car gives you options. But Disneyland express only goes from LAX or SNA. (Part of the reason we fly into SNA... otherwise we would be lugging carseats)

KittyKat1978
01-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I booked through Expedia for my flights from Vancouver...Air Canada down to DL and Alaska back ($325 for Feb).

I flew from Seattle to WDW in 2009 with Alaska and had no problems.

I flew from Vancouver to WDW 2011 with United and the damaged my bags!! :scared1: Thankfully I was able to get them fixed for free (through Bently where I bought them). I would only fly United if I had to.

West Jets sets are a little small (flew Abbotsford to Calgary) so I don't recommend them either.

For me, its timing. I wanted to spend as much time in DL as I could so I got an mid morning flight down and an evening one back.

It's a short flight (around 3hrs) so I would go with what works best for your timing/budget.

BELLEDOZER
01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I've flown Westjet twice to DL, and I love flying into John Wayne airport. It's alot closer to DL, and is very easy to navigate, and seems cleaner and brighter to me. I've never had a problem flying with them, and would highly recommend them for flying. I found that the one time I flew into LAX I wasn't all that impressed, so when I had an opportunity to fly into John Wayne (SNA) I decided to give it a try, and have no regrets doing so. So my first choice would be to fly into SNA, and if you can't get a good price, then fly into LAX. To give perspective, LAX is around an hr to drive to versus SNA, which is a 30 min drive. Worth a thought.

mrswh
01-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I despise United. They are so horrible. Always so sour and surly. Planes are dirty. Blech. They are not on your list, but I love Frontier. We have had only great experiences with them - nice people, warm chocolate chip cookie, cute animal on the tail, DirecTV, call center in the US (!). What more could you ask for? :)

I also agree with the PPs about Jet Blue being great. I think that generally speaking, large airlines stink.

WannaseePooh
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Have you looked at Allegiant and Alaskan flying out of Bellingham? Closer, way cheaper parking, and the drive home at the end much, much shorter. I have flown to SNA and LGB, both from BLI with no problems.

MukilteoSailor
01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Have you looked at Allegiant and Alaskan flying out of Bellingham? Closer, way cheaper parking, and the drive home at the end much, much shorter. I have flown to SNA and LGB, both from BLI with no problems.

I think Allegiant stopped flying into LGB from BLI. I was looking earlier to recommend them because I knew they flew from there but could onlly find BLI to LAX now.

I also wish Alaska flew direct from BLI into LGB/SNA. I would so drive to the north to catch a flight out of there but they all just land in SEA and then continue on.

Tommy_B
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
We are starting to plan our Oct 2012 trip to DLR and we are from Vancouver, BC but we are going to fly out of Seattle (half the price for flights). There are some great deals but I am wondering are some airlines preferred over others? Are there certain ones to avoid? This is the list I am looking at:

American Airlines
Virgin America
Delta
UNITED
US Airways
Continental
Alaska Airlines

I avoid United, US Air and Continental.

I like Virgin and Alaska.

I fly American and Delta a lot and they have good days and bad days.

I fly Southwest on short haul routes like OC to Vegas, PHX or SFO.

SeattleRedBear
01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
If memory serves me correct, Alaska (actually Horizon) is pulling it's SEA/LGB flights so if you really want to fly into LGB out of Seattle, then I'd recommend JetBlue. Personally, I prefer to fly into SNA...flights are a little more expensive, but the rental cars are SOOOO much cheaper and if all you're doing is DLR, the Disneyland express gets you to the resort affordably.

LisainCalifornia
01-06-2012, 09:43 PM
We always prefer Southwest because it flies into SNA (John Wayne). That is a modern, sleek, easy to navigate airport that is closest to Disneyland (closer than Long Beach, and MUCH closer than LAX). There are plenty of cabs and van-cabs lined up waiting to take you to Disneyland at a fixed rate from SNA.

Next choice is Jet Blue, but it flies into Long Beach. This is an airport that looks like grandma's basement on a good day. It is all portables and out door walk ways. They don't even have gateways to the plaine--you have to go outside and walk up or down a movable stairwell. The checked luggage is slow to come out (not that I blame the poor people that work there!), and the car rental place (also located in a trailer/portable) is frustratingly slow.

We only take Jet Blue into Long Beach if it is remarkably cheaper than Southwest into SNA.

lcasa
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I used to like Jet Blue until I had to fly from Long Beach to Chicago and the flight was cancelled - all the gate agents disappeared for 30 min or so and then came back with NO ideas on what to do with everyone ( only 1 other flight that day and booked). They suggested I fly from Long Beach to NEW YORK and HOPE to get a standby from New York to Chicago!
Then they wouldn't refund my money - gave me credit. Then I tried to use the credit and my mother in law passed away the day I was to fly - they charged me a very large change fee.

I've spoken to others that were stranded by Jet Blue as well.

So my advice is pick an airline with a LOT of flights in or around the area you're traveling to. If Jet Blue flew from LA or SNA I could have gone there when the Long Beach flight was cancelled. So I stick with the majors now.

DizMe
01-07-2012, 12:01 AM
I used to like Jet Blue until I had to fly from Long Beach to Chicago and the flight was cancelled - all the gate agents disappeared for 30 min or so and then came back with NO ideas on what to do with everyone ( only 1 other flight that day and booked). They suggested I fly from Long Beach to NEW YORK and HOPE to get a standby from New York to Chicago!
Then they wouldn't refund my money - gave me credit. Then I tried to use the credit and my mother in law passed away the day I was to fly - they charged me a very large change fee.

I've spoken to others that were stranded by Jet Blue as well.

So my advice is pick an airline with a LOT of flights in or around the area you're traveling to. If Jet Blue flew from LA or SNA I could have gone there when the Long Beach flight was cancelled. So I stick with the majors now.

Very similar experience to lcasa. I flew jet blue for the first time last Aug, Sacramento - Long Beach. The trip down was very nice and I loved the plane. HOWEVER...my flight back was cancelled. No notification, no reason given, and the only way I found out was when I tried to check in online and got a message telling me I couldn't check in and to go to the airline counter at the airport. I called instead and learned about the cancellation. Since there were only 2 flight to Sacramento each day from LGB, and I was on the second, I was out of luck for getting home. They couldn't even guarantee I'd get home the next day. They don't rebook you on another airline. They simply offered me the next flight they could fit me on or a refund for the return portion of my flight. Since I'd gotten a good sale fare, that didn't come close to covering the cost to rebook on SW.

So...I will never again use JetBlue. Their customer service was awful. I love Southwest, though, and they offer so many flights a day that it's a much more secure airline. I love their policies that allow you to make changes with no charge and will credit you if the price drops.

I also MUCH prefer SNA to LGB. It's a lot cheaper to get to DLR from SNA, too. It only costs $7 each way on SuperShuttle.

bekkiz
01-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Southwest does not offer non-stops from SEA to Southern CA, which is the main reason we don't fly them there unless it's a crazy sale. We usually pick Alaska into SNA.

cari12
01-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Now how do you know when to book and what a great price is? I see flights BLI to SNA return for around $240 pp including taxes with Alaska. These are non-refundable so do we take these or can we do much better for our October trip?

Tommy_B
01-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Now how do you know when to book and what a great price is? I see flights BLI to SNA return for around $240 pp including taxes with Alaska. These are non-refundable so do we take these or can we do much better for our October trip?

With gas prices threatening to spike due to uncertainty in the region, I'd grab them now. Bird in the hand..... :)

NiceOneSimba
01-07-2012, 01:02 PM
We always try to fly into John Wayne (SNA) whenever possible, but I have found that often, the fares into LAX are more reasonable. Many of the "low cost" airlines only fly into LAX. Yes, it takes longer to get to DL. Yes, it's not that nice of an airport. But if you're going to use SuperShuttle or the Disneyland Express, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I know I'd be willing to spend an extra 30 minutes on a shuttle if it meant saving several hundred dollars.

As for airlines:

Virgin America often has sales out of Seattle for under $99 each way. (Sometimes as low as $59 each way!) You do have to fly into LAX, though, and you usually have to change planes. But the savings can be worth it. Our favorite!

We flew Allegiant from Bellingham into San Diego last February. It is cheap, but you literally have to pay for everything (including a pop/soda and selecting a seat). You might want to remember that when comparing fares.

Alaska also has a million options, and usually has some great sales. A solid choice.

We like Southwest, too, mostly because of the free checked bags. A slightly higher rate on Southwest almost always ends up being a better deal becuase of the baggage savings. You'll have to change planes, though.

Hope it helps!

OFF TO WDW!
01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I LOVE JetBlue, but being they are not on your list of options, what I can tell you is what airlines NOT to fly. A recent report came out about customer service and satisfaction and continental/Untited finished last ( or next to last). Plus that have only a 31 inch seat pitch, which means very tight leg room for most people.

:)

Davids-Coco
01-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Alaska will give you a credit if the price drops before your trip for your dates and flights. So I would buy it and if it drops, you are still set.

c&m
01-07-2012, 07:41 PM

That sounds like a great deal, esp since you're flying out of BLI, not SEATAC, and you're flying into SNA, not LAX. Parking at BLI is about $9/day. At SEATAC, MasterPark garage charges about $13.99/day (with coupon). Also BLI is wayyyy closer than the drive to SEATAC. Wish I had a crystal ball, so I can tell you whether to buy now or wait it out ;), but if you're satisfied with paying $240, you should go for it. If you wait it out, you may not get the flight times you want or even worse, the price of fuel will go up.

We like Alaska Air. We have their Mileage Plan and have gotten 50% off our airfare by using our Mileage Plan points. I also have their MasterCard so collect points that way and also use the companion airfare perk.

We also like Jet Blue and Virgin - but rarely fly with them as we like to collect our points with Alaska Air.

We've also flown from SEATAC-LGB on Alaska Air. We managed one time to get $59 fares each way on this route. LGB is a fave of ours. It's a much smaller airport where you land, get your baggage, and collect your rental car, all within a 2 minute walk of each other. LGB is about a 25 min drive from Anaheim.

Good luck with your planning!

cari12
01-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Alaska will give you a credit if the price drops before your trip for your dates and flights. So I would buy it and if it drops, you are still set.

Wow, this is good to know. Thanks! Do I have to keep an eye on things and ask for a credit or will they automatically credit us?

c&m
01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow, this is good to know. Thanks! Do I have to keep an eye on things and ask for a credit or will they automatically credit us?

You have to keep an eye out. Airfares fluctuate often. So you have to check often. Note that they don't give you back a cash refund. It's a voucher to be used within a certain time frame for your next flight on Alaska.

SeattleRedBear
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
There is a service called LMOffice FlightTracker that does this type of price tracking for Alaska Airline flights. Works on a paypal donation system, but I've saved maybe a couple hundred dollars over the last five years or so. http://www.lmoffice.com/FlightTracker/

Because Alaska doesn't charge for rebooking the same ticket at a lower fare, it's definitely worth it to buy your fare ASAP and then get a credit if the fare is lowered.

Judy from Boise
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
My favorite is Horizon (the small plane option for Alaska) because of free beer and wine !

PrincessSitka
01-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Alaska Airlines