PDA

View Full Version : The Dis Exclusive City of Knights and Lights Trip 10/8 - 10/17/2012

DisneyKevin
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
The Dis is returning to London, Paris and Disneyland Paris!!!!!

The travel dates are 10/8 - 10/17/2012.

Pricing is as follows:

$6999 per adult

$6649 per child

$8926 per single

You can sign up for this Adventure here:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input_pc_london_paris_2012.cfm

This is the itinerary for this Adventure:

Day 1: Monday, October 8th:
• Welcome reception and dinner at Chancery Court Hotel, London
• Meals Included: D
• Overnight at Chancery Court

Day 2: Tuesday, October 9th:
• London city tour on double decker bus; Westminster Abbey; Buckingham
Palace, changing of the guards
• Lunch at Harrods
• Afternoon, evening and dinner OYO
• Meals included: B, L
• Overnight at Chancery Court

Day 3: Wednesday, October 10th:
• Walking tour near St. Paul’s Cathedral; Tower of London Tour; London Eye
visit
• Lunch OYO
• Transfer to Foxhills Hotel
• Dinner at Foxhills Hotel
• Meals included: B,D
• Overnight at Foxhills Hotel

Day 4: Thursday, October 11th:
• Stonehenge tour
• Lunch at Foxhills
• Windsor Castle Tour
• Dinner at Foxhills Hotel
• Meals included: B,L,D
• Overnight at Foxhills Hotel

Day 5: Friday, October 12th:
• Transfer to St. Pancras station for train to Paris
• Eurostar transfer to Paris
• Eiffel Tower visit to upper decks
• Transfer to Hilton Arc de Triomphe
• Welcome reception and dinner at Hilton Arc de Triomphe
• Walking transfer to Arc de Triomphe for evening climb
• Overnight at Hilton Arc de Triomphe

Day 6: Saturday, October 13th:
1. Chateau de Versailles tour
2. Optional return back to Paris after Versailles tour
3. Lunch at La Flottille
4. Bike the gardens of Versailles or join a guided walking tour
5. Transfer back to Paris
6. Dinner OYO
7. Meals included: B,L
8. Overnight at Hilton Arc de Triomphe

Day 6: Sunday, October 14th:
• Notre Dame Cathedral tour and tower climb
• Water taxi transfer to the Louvre
• Guided tour of the Louvre with optional transfer back to the hotel
afterward or guests can stay at Louvre
• Lunch and afternoon OYO
• Dinner at Laduree
• Overnight at Hilton Arc de Triomphe

Day 8: Monday, October 15th:
• Transfer to Disneyland Paris Hotel
• Ambassador welcome at Disneyland Paris
• Park hopper tickets with VIP FastPasses included
• VIP Tour Guides in each park
• Guest OYO time in the parks with vouchers provided for lunch anywhere in
the parks or hotels and VIP tour guides provided in each park.
• Reserved parade and stunt show viewing locations
• Park closing visit to Phantom Manor for tour with Imagineer
• Dinner OYO with option to book restaurants ahead of time to avoid
crowds
• Meals included: B,L
• Overnight at Disneyland Paris Hotel

Day 9: Tuesday, October 16th:
• Early entrance into Disneyland park for character photos in front of the
castle
• Breakfast in Walt’s Restaurant
• VIP Tour Guides in each park
• Guest OYO time in the parks with vouchers provided for lunch anywhere in
the parks or hotels and VIP tour guides provided in each park
• Reserved parade and stunt show viewing locations
• Themed farewell dinner event at Tower of Terror and Blockbuster
Restaurant with Disney Villains after park closing
• Meals included B,L,D
• Overnight at Disneyland Paris Hotel

Day 10: Wednesday, October 17th:
• Transfers to the airport or into Paris
Meals included: B

Participants:

Chad - Whodini
Lindsay - Mrs. Whodini
Jen - NejtheLion
Debbi - TheFairyGodmother
Barry - needs Dis screen name :)
Eric - Fsufan53
Amanda - Mrs Fsufan53
Kris - garneska
Bert - hgarnes
Karen - me_minnie_me
Angela - LionKingRules84
Ryan - Mr. LionKingRules84
Shaun - WebmasterShaun
William - DisneyCruise05
Dustin - Dustin
Kevin - DisneyKevin
John - WebMasterJohn
Pete - WebMasterPete
Walter - AkaScar

If you would like to add your name to the list of Participants in this Adventure, please write to Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

You can sign up for this Adventure here:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input_pc_london_paris_2012.cfm

k5jmh
01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
It makes me drool all over again!!

whodini
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
woot! Lindsay and I are totally amped for this trip. We'll be celebrating our 5th anniversary this fall. It was a tough decision between this trip or heading out to Aulani, but the added Halloween festivities made it too irresistible.

garneska
01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Can't wait for this trip.

Kevin can you update hubby's name is Bert not Bery....but boy is that fun to make fun of :rotfl:

DisneyKevin
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Can't wait for this trip.

Kevin can you update hubby's name is Bert not Bery....but boy is that fun to make fun of :rotfl:

Please apologize to Bert for me.

Please explain that the Y and the T are right next to each other.;)

steve76
01-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Windsor Castle is a great addition to the itinerary. Incidentally there is a great DVD which shows "behind the scenes" at Windsor Castle here: http://www.amazon.com/Windsor-Castle-Royal-Barbara-Flynn/dp/B000E1ZBA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (in the UK it was broadcast on BBC as "The Queen's Castle").

Plus the 20th anniversary show in front of the Castle at Disneyland Paris looks like it's shaping up to be quite something: http://www.dlrptoday.com/2012/01/13/disneyland-paris-20th-anniversary-preview-video-reveals-disney-dreams-and-more-surprises/

Looks like it's going to be another amazing trip - I'm already looking forward to the trip reports...!

garneska
01-20-2012, 06:59 PM
So I was catching up on the podcasts this week. We are having a costume party at DLP? Like real costumes or cat ears and a tail?

Am excited seems our thread is a litle slow but we are still 9 months out. I know Bert and I will be coming in Sun before the adventure starts. Right now i think we are planning on visiting the Brittish Library, British Muesum, and Churchill War Rooms.

Kevin, we will have some scheduled chat nights once we get closer to plan plan and do some more planning?

DisneyKevin
01-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Kevin, we will have some scheduled chat nights once we get closer to plan plan and do some more planning?

We will be having chat nights,

We usually do them about 3 months (90 days) out.

Keep in mind that we have our Italy folks departing at the end of May, our Backstage Magic folks departing at the end of July and our London / Paris folks in October.

Feel free to start chatting and planning here, if you'd like.

Talking about and planning things here actually makes the most sense at the moment. Chat is fleeting, but the informations remains here until we "unstick" the thread.

k5jmh
01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Just for Fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGLN1kREJ2Q

http://youtu.be/schQZY3QjCw?hd=1

k5jmh
01-21-2012, 05:27 PM
PomPom much?
Fascinators, anyone?

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/262545853246470994_jBHQ9qnm_c.jpg

k5jmh
01-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Did anyone see the "Queen's Palaces" on PBS? They are talking about Windsor right now.

Here are some of the Episodes on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvx3o48Rc1U - Buckingham Palace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRdq2Ju5ApE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Vi6XtB5hY - Windsor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_g8mJfrOx0

k5jmh
01-24-2012, 12:04 PM
It was very cool to hear about this on the last Knights and Lights trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5gXuirlxVcY#!

fsufan53
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
So I was catching up on the podcasts this week. We are having a costume party at DLP? Like real costumes or cat ears and a tail?

Am excited seems our thread is a litle slow but we are still 9 months out. I know Bert and I will be coming in Sun before the adventure starts. Right now i think we are planning on visiting the Brittish Library, British Muesum, and Churchill War Rooms.

We are for sure planning on doing the British Museum and Churchills war rooms. Maybe we can get a group together to go during some of the OYO time. We also want to try and checkout a Beatles tour, Jack the Ripper tour, Imperial War Museum, and maybe the Charles Dickens House since it is so close to the hotel. We are getting in on sunday also so I hope the pre time and the OYO time during the trip will give us enough time to see all of this.

I am a WW2 buff so Churchills rooms are a must do!

sayhello
01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
We are for sure planning on doing the British Museum and Churchills war rooms. Maybe we can get a group together to go during some of the OYO time. We also want to try and checkout a Beatles tour, Jack the Ripper tour, Imperial War Museum, and maybe the Charles Dickens House since it is so close to the hotel. We are getting in on sunday also so I hope the pre time and the OYO time during the trip will give us enough time to see all of this.

I am a WW2 buff so Churchills rooms are a must do!I can highly recommend a company called London Walks.

http://www.walks.com/

I know they have a Beatles walking tour, and a pretty well-known Jack the Ripper walking tour. The tour I took was a Harry Potter tour, and it was a really great mix of sites mentioned in the books, sites used in the movies and sites dealing with some of the mythology that JKRowling used. I really wish I'd managed to take more of the walks (especially the Jack the Ripper one).

Sayhello

brer_rabbit
01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Oh wow you're staying at Foxhills!! I live really close to it - it's a lovely place! You can have a nice relaxing afternoon / evening there which you'd probably need judging by the busy itinerary :thumbsup2

Windsor is great - last time I went the royal standard was flying which meant the Queen was at home :goodvibes Hopefully they'll give you a bit of time to see the town too as there are lots of nice little shops!

Hopefully there will be lots of stories for the podcast last the last trip :lmao:

MinnieGarden
01-29-2012, 10:58 AM
One of the Paris blogs I followed closely prior to our Knights and Lights adventure last fall was David Lebovitz. He has an amazing book, and it looks like he's got another gem..... http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/01/paris-pastry-guidebook-e-book-david-lebovitz-pastry-chocolate/ and it's on sale until Valentines Day!

Simba001
01-29-2012, 01:17 PM
- Park closing visit to Phantom Manor for tour with Imagineer

- Themed farewell dinner event at Tower of Terror and Blockbuster Restaurant
with Disney Villains after park closing

London! Paris! Disneyland Paris and this!!!! Oh my goodness! How fun would this be!

When I told my DH he said he would work OT all year to be able to afford to go on this trip. I told him I appreciate the thought, but unless I switch jobs I can't go anywhere in October. Our annual major fundraiser is at the beginning of November. Darn...

I am sure everyone will have a fabulous time!

fsufan53
02-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I guess this question is for Kevin. Is our itinerary different from the typical ABD itinerary? Obviously the two days in Paris are extra however after reading over the base itinerary in my ABD magazine it seems like our base trip is enhanced from the "normal" one. Just wanted to know. Thanks!

Boy I am getting excited!

DisneyKevin
02-10-2012, 09:14 PM
I guess this question is for Kevin. Is our itinerary different from the typical ABD itinerary? Obviously the two days in Paris are extra however after reading over the base itinerary in my ABD magazine it seems like our base trip is enhanced from the "normal" one. Just wanted to know. Thanks!

Boy I am getting excited!

With every Dis Exclusive Adventure, we try to add details that we don't disclose in advance.

It's great fun to watch folks be surprised.

How's that for vague?:laughing:

I think everyone will be very pleased.

garneska
02-11-2012, 08:52 AM
With every Dis Exclusive Adventure, we try to add details that we don't disclose in advance.

It's great fun to watch folks be surprised.

How's that for vague?:laughing:

I think everyone will be very pleased.

Do you practice that Kevin or does it come naturally? :rotfl:

DisneyKevin
02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Do you practice that Kevin or does it come naturally? :rotfl:

You have no idea the restraint it takes for me to keep good secrets.

I'm the guy that buys Christmas presents and gives them to you in October, because I know you will like them.

When some juicy tidbit about one of our trips comes across my desk....I immediately want to call each of you and tell you.....and then post it on the boards in the LARGEST font.

This "skill" has been acquired after years of John threatening me with "you can share this now......or ...you can go on the trip".:laughing:

I love to share good news, but I also love to see happy, surprised faces.

It's a tough job sometimes. ;)

k5jmh
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
This trip is awesome, but the surprises make it unbelievable. I have no doubt it will be amazing.

fsufan53
02-11-2012, 06:09 PM
We are so excited to see both of these cities for the first time. I know all the cereal dinners as apart of the heavy saving we are doing are gonna pay off.

k5jmh
02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
The new buses in London...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427422_261900413879670_139188202817559_563589_1774 029664_n.jpg

garneska
02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
You have no idea the restraint it takes for me to keep good secrets.

I'm the guy that buys Christmas presents and gives them to you in October, because I know you will like them.

When some juicy tidbit about one of our trips comes across my desk....I immediately want to call each of you and tell you.....and then post it on the boards in the LARGEST font.

This "skill" has been acquired after years of John threatening me with "you can share this now......or ...you can go on the trip".:laughing:

I love to share good news, but I also love to see happy, surprised faces.

It's a tough job sometimes. ;)

For some reason i had a feeling John was behind it. It is HARD to keep good secrets. Can't wait though.

k5jmh
02-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Once upon a dream parade from DLP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opfyjvvq0uY

k5jmh
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Modern Marvels Eiffel Tower, also on Netflix right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0PY-ikyR8

mattincanberra
02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Modern Marvels Eiffel Tower, also on Netflix right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0PY-ikyR8

Just remember, the view from the Eiffel Tower is lessened, because it doesn't feature the Eiffel Tower.

Oh, and don't ask if they have butter, ask if they can bring you some....

k5jmh
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Just remember, the view from the Eiffel Tower is lessened, because it doesn't feature the Eiffel Tower.

Oh, and don't ask if they have butter, ask if they can bring you some....

And don't ask for a second cup of coffee! Harumph!!!

mattincanberra
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
And don't ask for a second cup of coffee! Harumph!!!

And buy your macarons before you go to dinner at Laduree

(Secret tip, there is a Laduree store in Harrods...).

DisneyKevin
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
And buy your macarons before you go to dinner at Laduree

(Secret tip, there is a Laduree store in Harrods...).

Or...dont worry at all about macaroons from Laduree and find a way to make a stop at Fauchon on Plaza Madeleine.

mattincanberra
02-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Or...dont worry at all about macaroons from Laduree and find a way to make a stop at Fauchon on Plaza Madeleine.

And while you are there buy the eclair of the year - and taste everything. Always consider the geese though :)

whodini
02-24-2012, 07:45 AM
I listened to this week's shows and I thought it was interesting that Kevin mentioned that almost all of the upcoming Italy trip guests were repeat ABD folks. Along with being our first trip to London or Paris, this is also our first ABD trip. What about everyone else?

~ Chad

fsufan53
02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
I listened to this week's shows and I thought it was interesting that Kevin mentioned that almost all of the upcoming Italy trip guests were repeat ABD folks. Along with being our first trip to London or Paris, this is also our first ABD trip. What about everyone else?

~ Chad

We did BSM last June and it was incredible. ABD is the best vacation we have ever taken, and I am guessing this trip is gonna be 10 times better than that one!

Raenstoirm
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
When do you have to book by to go on this trip? Dh and I are both self employed, so we have no clue how much money and time we will have in the fall till at least mid summer. Is that too late?
Dh has always wanted to go to Paris and Disneyland Paris and Stonehenge are both on my bucket list. This trip would be perfect! :woohoo:

DisneyKevin
03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
When do you have to book by to go on this trip? Dh and I are both self employed, so we have no clue how much money and time we will have in the fall till at least mid summer. Is that too late?
Dh has always wanted to go to Paris and Disneyland Paris and Stonehenge are both on my bucket list. This trip would be perfect! :woohoo:

There is no deadline for booking, until about 2 weeks prior to departure, when ABD closes the trip for finalization.

We have a limited number of spaces available for this trip, but there is still availability.

If you have specific question regarding this Adventure, just drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

LionKingRules84
04-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Brought this trip up to the husband and greatly considering going. Threw an email your way Kevin but thought I should stop by and say hi since I'm not active on the boards but I listen to the podcast fairly regularly.

Only thing I'm lamenting over truly is the price but from listening to reports it seems very worth it. Trying to convince my husband seems to be the hardest part right now. That and this trip would kill the vacation fund and I no longer have a job to replenish it but if life has taught me anything waiting till the 'right' time may never come and I don't things will ever get any 'cheaper'.

Edit: made the decision to book and am so excited! *jumps up and down*

DisneyKevin
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Angela (LionKingRules84) and Ryan have decided to going our Adventure!

Welcome to "the Group"!!!:dance3:

This is going to be EXCITING!

mytripsandraces
04-05-2012, 04:29 PM
There is a ShakeAway in Windsor and it's just down the road from the castle (on Peascod Street). This DISer invented the George milkshake on the regular menu, but you can make your own blend, too! (I have no stake in ShakeAway, other than as an interested patron who wants to make sure it's still there the next time I go to England!)

For a more English flavor in your shake, my personal favorite is chocolate, ginger nuts and custard. (where's the yummy face? ;))

LionKingRules84
04-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Kevin! :goodvibes

I'm beyond excited!!!! :yay:

k5jmh
04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
I wanna go back :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/316401_2125503613295_1117025522_31877649_135108347 3_n.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Accordian.mp3

LionKingRules84
04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I'll actually be returning when I go. I told Kevin this already but I've actually been to both London and Paris on a highschool trip back in 2000. My husband went with his french class when he was in highschool also and we both have been wanting to go back since we met each other. We married this past October and France has come up as a possible option for vacation especially Paris. I know he has never been to London but showed interest and after your trip report last year I realized you all did way more than I did on my highschool trip. I wanted to do the London Eye so bad but all the people I traveled with out numbered me and I wasn't old enough to go alone(only 16). I saw Stonehenge and Windsor Castle added and that sold me.

I wanted to do Disney World again but with the Disneyland Paris add on to this adventure and getting to do all I wanted to do in London and getting to re-visit Paris it was just to tempting to pass up.

It also happens to be in the month we were married and my favorite holiday is Halloween....perfection! :thumbsup2

Edit: Don't like to double post but really want to recommend a movie for those that want to get excited about Paris. A favorite film of my husbands that I ended up falling in love with was 'Amélie'. It's in French and basically the title says it all but she lives in Montmarte which is my favorite place in Paris. I still have yet to ride that Carousel beneath Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, I hope to this time!

LionKingRules84
04-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Speaking of Carousels I'm even more excited to ride the one at Disneyland Paris after finding this: http://nationalcarousel.org/psp/DisneyParis/

I don't think I've ever seen anyone anywhere go to such great lengths to customize a Carousel like that, wow! :eek:

I know the one in Disney World's Magic Kingdom was re-painted but Disneyland Paris takes it to a whole new level! Can't wait to see the rest of that park!

k5jmh
04-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Google Maps just announced "3D Photo Tours" of various places around the world and there are a bunch from London and Paris.

http://maps.google.com/phototours

me_minnie_me
05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
This will be my first trip to London and Paris. I have done but 1 ABD back in October 2010 and it was the Backstage Magic tour. I thought it was awesome. I will one of the solo travellers in the group.

Right now I'm having problems pulling the trigger on purchasing airfare. There are a couple of options that I'm looking at - Delta and British Airways. Does anyone have any thoughts on these airlines? My only experiences are with the Canadian airlines - WestJet and Air Canada (which is experiencing labour relation problems - which makes me wary of booking with them).

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Karen

LionKingRules84
05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah I haven't started with airfare yet myself because I'm not sure when I'm leaving France(it looks like I may be spending the following week of the adventure in Normandy but not sure for how long).

I was considering British Airways to get there since I took them to and from Europe back in 2000 when I went in High School and I thought they were great but I heard they aren't as good as they use to be. I still hear good things about Air France so I'm considering them for the return trip. I personally want to try to avoid the American companies if at all possible but that is just me. I know Pete is in the rewards program for Delta and they sound decent to their loyal customers not sure about first timers.

I'm a bit nervous about getting airfare since the last time I flew was in '07 when I went to Florida, I haven't taken an 8 hour flight since 2000 and neither trip were all that fun. Getting there is always the hardest for me when traveling to Europe or anything beyond Florida.

sayhello
05-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Right now I'm having problems pulling the trigger on purchasing airfare. There are a couple of options that I'm looking at - Delta and British Airways. Does anyone have any thoughts on these airlines? My only experiences are with the Canadian airlines - WestJet and Air Canada (which is experiencing labour relation problems - which makes me wary of booking with them).

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

KarenDelta and British Airways are associated in some weird fashion (I still can't keep it straight) but look closely. Nine times out of ten, the flights are codeshares, and are actually the same flights. British Airways does not let you select seats ahead of time. Delta does (although apparently "reserved seat" is not an absolute with Delta, and is open to change by them whenever they feel like it).

Sayhello

me_minnie_me
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
From what I've been seeing on Kayak.com (at least for my search preference) - British Airways is not code sharing flight to and from Toronto, but Delta is with Air France. It's a bit fustrating at the moment as the best price that I saw for Britsh Airways was a couple weeks ago when it was about $940 return. Now I'm seening Delta at about the same price and it is quite tempting to pull the trigger.

Karen

lost*in*cyberspace
05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Delta and British Airways are associated in some weird fashion (I still can't keep it straight) but look closely. Nine times out of ten, the flights are codeshares, and are actually the same flights. British Airways does not let you select seats ahead of time. Delta does (although apparently "reserved seat" is not an absolute with Delta, and is open to change by them whenever they feel like it).

Delta and British Airways are members of different airline alliances; they are not associated. Delta is a member of the SkyTeam Alliance; British Airways is a member of the OneWorld Alliance.

British Airways does let you chose seats in advance.

A reserved seat is not an absolute for any airline.

sayhello
05-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Delta and British Airways are members of different airline alliances; they are not associated. Delta is a member of the SkyTeam Alliance; British Airways is a member of the OneWorld Alliance.

British Airways does let you chose seats in advance.

A reserved seat is not an absolute for any airline.From British Airways' site:

Everyone can choose a seat FREE of charge at check-in, from 24 hours before departure.

You can also choose your seat as soon as you've made your booking.
Use our guide to find out if it's free for you or if there's a charge.
The only people who can chose seats at the time of booking (without paying a premium for it) are people who have high frequent flyer status, people with kids, people with disabilities, etc. The regular old everyday traveler can't select a seat until check-in.

Sayhello

LionKingRules84
05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Aside from getting the tickets I noticed that you can't get a direct flight out of Paris every plane seems to stop in Heathrow before heading back to the US(well at least PHL since that's the closets airport for me and it's international). It's rather frustrating I swear I had more options when flying to Florida than Europe. ugh! :headache:

All of the posts on this so far are extremely helpful by the way! I love how helpful everyone is on here. :)

garneska
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I guess i have a good/bad issue with flights. I cannot book as i may be traveling for work right after the trip and possibly before. Of course to make it worse that travel is to Germany, so I may go from Paris to Berlin and then back to the USA. The good thing is that i should be good for the vacation but i just dont know my flight routes yet. I could potentially be in Europe for 6 weeks. While that sounds great I will definitely miss my doggies. Plus i might miss good flight prices as i DEFINITELY cannot book anything yet.

whodini
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
We'll be flying Delta out of ATL using skymiles. Still trying to figure out the best way to fly business/first right now. Unfortunately it seems there are no "low point" flights there and back so it's going to deplete almost my entire skymiles account, which I'm still OK with.

Anyone else planning on getting to London a day or two early? We'll most likely take the red eye Saturday night which will give us almost 2 full days before meeting everyone on Monday night.

LionKingRules84
05-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Anyone else planning on getting to London a day or two early? We'll most likely take the red eye Saturday night which will give us almost 2 full days before meeting everyone on Monday night.

I've already booked two pre-nights with ABD in London I plan on leaving friday evening and getting there saturday morning so I have most of that day, Sunday and Monday to spend in London. This is probably the last time I will be in London for a long time(if ever again) so I want to make sure I have more than enough time to do everything. Staying up that entire Saturday is going to be rough though!

NejTheLion
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Finally got around to posting on here. We're excited to be joining everyone on our second ABD trip and our second one with the DIS!! :banana:

My name is Jen, and I'll be traveling with my parents, Debbi and Barry. We were on the ABD Backstage Magic trip last July/August with Pete, Walter, Corey, and Julie, and it was an absolute blast! We were tempted to go on the very first ABD London/Paris trip a year ago, but we had something else scheduled around the same time and just couldn't make it work. So we were thrilled to hear that there would be another one this year!

I'm especially excited because we'll be celebrating my parents' 35th anniversary on the trip. Yes, the actual day we arrive in Disneyland Paris, October 15, is their anniversary. We've spent a couple days in London and Paris, London most recently around our DCL Baltic cruise, Paris almost 15 years ago. But this will be our first time going to any Disney park outside of the US.

NejTheLion
05-27-2012, 11:54 AM

We toured the British Museum the last time we were in London. Quite amazing - definitely worth a stop.

NejTheLion
05-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I can highly recommend a company called London Walks.

http://www.walks.com/

I know they have a Beatles walking tour, and a pretty well-known Jack the Ripper walking tour. The tour I took was a Harry Potter tour, and it was a really great mix of sites mentioned in the books, sites used in the movies and sites dealing with some of the mythology that JKRowling used. I really wish I'd managed to take more of the walks (especially the Jack the Ripper one).

Sayhello

I'll second this recommendation. We did the Dickens walk the last time we were in London, and it was excellent. All you have to do is show up at the appointed time in the appointed location and have money to pay for everyone in your group. Then off you go! Our tour guide, Jean, dressed in period costume and led us through all these little backstreets that seemed to have changed remarkably little since Dickens' time. I'll be looking to see if we can fit one of these in before our trip starts. Though I'm thinking about going to Borough Market as well. Decisions, decisions...

NejTheLion
05-27-2012, 12:15 PM
We just booked our flights with Virgin Atlantic. We flew with them the last time we went to Europe, and they were (to use Kevin's favorite word) spectacular! We then used Virgin America to fly to California for the Backstage Magic trip and were similarly impressed. The only bad thing is that they don't fly to that many places out of Washington, but we're going to take advantage of them whenever possible.

Their loyalty program is extremely reasonable (you can use Atlantic or America points for flights, and the amount of points needed seems small compared to the US carriers we typically fly with). So we transferred over a bunch of Marriott points to cover upgrading the flights from economy to upper class, and then our credit union's rewards credit card will be taking care of the cost for the economy flights. So we're essentially flying for free! And upper class with Virgin Atlantic has the seats that go all the way flat. I've never slept so well on a plane :cloud9:

NejTheLion
05-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I've already booked two pre-nights with ABD in London I plan on leaving friday evening and getting there saturday morning so I have most of that day, Sunday and Monday to spend in London. This is probably the last time I will be in London for a long time(if ever again) so I want to make sure I have more than enough time to do everything. Staying up that entire Saturday is going to be rough though!

Jet lag definitely affects people in different ways. Just be careful that you don't wear yourself out entirely because I've found it can take longer to recover if you don't deal with it right away.

The last time we flew to Europe, we took an overnight flight and arrived around 7:00am local time. We were able to get some sleep on the plane, but it's never going to be as much or as good as you would get in an actual bed. Here's the plan I devised to get us back on track as quickly as possible...

We went from the airport straight to our hotel, and since we had requested an early check-in time, they were able to accommodate us. Otherwise we were planning to stay in the airport lounge until our room as ready. Once we had all of our bags in the room, we stopped and took about a three-hour nap. We woke up in the afternoon and went out to have high tea. Then back to our hotel room for another three-hour nap. Then out for a late dinner. Then back to the hotel for some real sleep.

We woke up relatively early the next morning (had a day-trip booked heading outside of London), and we made it through the entire day without feeling any noticeable jet lag. So my recommendation would be to take it easy on your arrival day, but also keep yourself from sleeping too long. Those 2 three-hour naps were just enough to refresh us without letting our internal clocks get completely off. Plan one or two things on that day so you'll be forced to wake up, but give yourself time for some serious naps as well.

We're planning to do basically the same thing this time around. Flying Saturday night, using Sunday to adjust to the time difference, and then having Monday during the day for some fun in the city before joining everyone for dinner :goodvibes

disneyholic family
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
this trip is exactly when i'll be in orlando (arriving on oct 9 and staying until oct 21, when i 'finally' board the disney dream!! woo hoo!!!)

but october in london/paris is fabulous....moderate weather and the heaving masses of summer tourists are long gone!!

too bad i can't join you...but i'm not worried ....just as i'm finally getting to cruise on the dream after many many aborted attempts, i'm sure i'll eventually get to join a podcast something or other (be it ABD or cruise) :)

NejTheLion
06-08-2012, 10:32 PM
So what's this I'm hearing about a costume party? Is there something new I should be adding to my packing list?

whodini
06-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Lindsay and I just booked our flights! We're flying on SkyMiles and the direct to Heathrow we wanted went up in "price" so I had to get a flight through Detroit while the getting was good.

Has anyone on the trip thought about what to do after the 2 nights at DLP? We're not flying home until Friday thinking it was a waste to go back on Wednesday. No way we'd be going to work the next day anyway.

LionKingRules84
06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm still on the fence on when I want to buy Airfare at this point I got a different quote for the same exact flights I wanted in the same day so you have to keep checking. It's like the stock market or in this case buy low ignore when high. I don't have any kind of frequent flyer miles so I will be in Economy wondering how everyone else is enjoying first or business class. :p The money has to give somewhere.

I will be spending the following week of the adventure in the middle of 'No Where' France(sort of Normandy) hopefully riding horses but not sure yet on the details. By the time this trip has a chat night I should have a better idea what I'm doing and share it with everyone that is curious to know. :)

NejTheLion
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Lindsay and I just booked our flights! We're flying on SkyMiles and the direct to Heathrow we wanted went up in "price" so I had to get a flight through Detroit while the getting was good.

Has anyone on the trip thought about what to do after the 2 nights at DLP? We're not flying home until Friday thinking it was a waste to go back on Wednesday. No way we'd be going to work the next day anyway.

We're planning to head east to Reims (either car or train) to the heart of Champagne country. We're also hoping to have dinner at L'Assiette Champenoise while we're there. It's the restaurant of Chef Arnaud Lallement, who partnered with Chef Scott Hunnel of Victoria and Albert's to develop the menu for Remy onboard the Disney Dream and Fantasy.

Probably two nights there, then taking the train back to London on Friday and flying home on Saturday.

k5jmh
06-14-2012, 06:40 AM
We went to Epernay following our Knights and Lights adventure last year and had a fantastic time.

NejTheLion
06-14-2012, 10:44 PM
We went to Epernay following our Knights and Lights adventure last year and had a fantastic time.

We'll probably be tasting anywhere between Epernay and Reims. Did you visit any champagne houses? Any you would recommend either because of the tasting experience or a great tour?

fsufan53
06-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Is there any chance we could get to Normandy to see the beaches during any of our OYO time in Paris?

DisneyKevin
06-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Is there any chance we could get to Normandy to see the beaches during any of our OYO time in Paris?

Your OYO time in Paris is measured in hours.

This is one of the reasons I didn't want to go to Versailles. I wanted more OYO time in Paris.

Normandy is approximately 125 miles from Paris.

You would not have time to get there, see what you wanted to see and get back to Paris unless your drastically alter the tour schedule....which you can do if you are willing to miss the things that are part of the scheduled tour (like the day at Versailles).

fsufan53
06-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Your OYO time in Paris is measured in hours.

This is one of the reasons I didn't want to go to Versailles. I wanted more OYO time in Paris.

Normandy is approximately 125 miles from Paris.

You would not have time to get there, see what you wanted to see and get back to Paris unless your drastically alter the tour schedule....which you can do if you are willing to miss the things that are part of the scheduled tour (like the day at Versailles).

Gotcha, thanks Kevin.

What kind of day do you have planned in Paris on the Versailles day? My wife wants to do Versailled but I kinda want to see more Paris.

DisneyKevin
06-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Gotcha, thanks Kevin.

What kind of day do you have planned in Paris on the Versailles day? My wife wants to do Versailled but I kinda want to see more Paris.

All I can say at this point is....I have no intention of going to Versailles on this Adventure either.

We are hoping to offer an alternative, but at this point we don't have specifics.

If that isn't what you want, you can always do what we did last year.

Hire a car and an English speaking driver and make up your own itinerary.

I had done some research (Okay...I've been doing research on Paris since I was 6) and I had a list of places I wanted to go.

5 of us spent the day visiting those places and as I've said previously.....it might be the best day of my life.

Hope that helps.

jcb
06-16-2012, 10:01 AM
All I can say at this point is....I have no intention of going to Versailles on this Adventure either.

We are hoping to offer an alternative, but at this point we don't have specifics.

If that isn't what you want, you can always do what we did last year.

Hire a car and an English speaking driver and make up your own itinerary.

I had done some research (Okay...I've been doing research on Paris since I was 6) and I had a list of places I wanted to go.

5 of us spent the day visiting those places and as I've said previously.....it might be the best day of my life.

Hope that helps.

I hope I don't put unrealistic pressure on Kevin and John but if they offer an alternative to Versailles, my suggestion is to do it. One of the most enjoyable days of our Viva Italia trip was the day they arranged for the bus to go from the Tuscan Resort to Florence. But for that day, I would not have felt like I got to genuinely experience Florence.

k5jmh
06-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I second what Jack said. The highlight for me of Versailles was Pete going off course in the golf cart and it shutting down. His navigator was of no help :rolleyes1

BriarRosie
06-16-2012, 11:04 PM
I second what Jack said. The highlight for me of Versailles was Pete going off course in the golf cart and it shutting down. His navigator was of no help :rolleyes1

I'm sorry I missed that spectacle. I was on the Tour de Versailles bike ride. I saw all the French people snickering at me as I was returning the bike. :snooty:

MinnieGarden
06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
We'll probably be tasting anywhere between Epernay and Reims. Did you visit any champagne houses? Any you would recommend either because of the tasting experience or a great tour?

I wrote a blog about our day in Epernay. There's a link to it in a post somewhere..... We visited an amazing champagne house. I see you are on the upcoming podcast cruise, if you want more info, let me know and we can chat. :goodvibes

NejTheLion
06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I wrote a blog about our day in Epernay. There's a link to it in a post somewhere..... We visited an amazing champagne house. I see you are on the upcoming podcast cruise, if you want more info, let me know and we can chat. :goodvibes

Terrific, I'll go hunt for that :)

LionKingRules84
06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm leaning to not doing Versailles especially since after Disneyland I won't be back to Paris except to get a rental car(and to fly home of course) and possibly do some grocery shopping before we leave for our adventure after the adventure.

I think I would rather do Musée d'Orsay instead or just walk around and be a Parisian.

It looks like I will be in the Cider/Brandy area after the adventure, looking forward to that!

garneska
06-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Just thought I would post since i have not done much lately. I have been in Berlin for work for the last four weeks and think i have my trip back to Berlin settled for Nov. I had to wait to find out about that before i could think of plane tickets for ABD. I am back and don't have to immediately go to Berlin after the trip. I can now book plane tickts, my problem am trying to decide if i leave Paris on Wed Oct 17 or Friday Oct 19. The only issue is the vacation time off from work. Of couse i will turn around and fly back to Berlin at the end of Oct but at least I will get a chance to see my dogs. Wow my jetlag will be interesting. Anyways, plans are in the works am getting excited.

garneska
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Hey do most people book airfare themselves or do you get a quote through ABD? I know which flight i will book just trying to decide if it is worth it to book through ABD assuming it is the same price. If ABD is more expensive then obviously i will book it myself.

Thanks

sayhello
06-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey do most people book airfare themselves or do you get a quote through ABD? I know which flight i will book just trying to decide if it is worth it to book through ABD assuming it is the same price. If ABD is more expensive then obviously i will book it myself.

ThanksABD will book exactly the flight you ask them to, at exactly the price you see (assuming it's still available when you call them). ABD does not have any special arrangements with the airlines like DCL does. They're basically just acting like a TA for you, booking whatever you want. They will research it for you, and propose a ticket, like any TA would do, but it might not be as good a deal as you could get if you found the ticket yourself and then called ABD with it.

Sayhello

SingingMom
06-26-2012, 09:51 AM

I'm sorry I missed that spectacle. I was on the Tour de Versailles bike ride. I saw all the French people snickering at me as I was returning the bike. :snooty:

We were on the Knights & Lights tour last month. LOVED every bit of it! Wish we could come along with you on this special tour!

I must say, one of my favorite places was Versailles. Thought it was beautiful. My fondest memory is the bike ride, where my pedal broke and our wonderful guide and I walked back, pushing our bikes, and having the best heart to heart chat! :). We joke that we "bonded for life" on that very long stroll! :goodvibes

LionKingRules84
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
It does seem we have options on this tour the itinerary mentions a drop off back in Paris after the Versailles tour thus skipping the bike ride and lunch in the gardens. Considering that option but at the rate I'm going I may end up just making the decision on the fly when I get there.

I finally have airfare, will be flying with British Airways, and paid the trip off. Still in the midst of planning my adventure after the adventure. Got my International driving permit, still not sure how it will work driving in France now that will be an adventure! :eek: Once I have that done I can fine tune the details for what I'm doing on my own time in London and Paris.

me_minnie_me
07-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I have finally paid off the balance of the trip :cool1:.

My only problem now is to book my airfare. I not sure what is holding me back at booking - maybe it the thought that there has to be a better deal than what is being offered at the moment. Right now it's a toss up among Delta, Lufthansa, United, British Airways and Air Canada (my last choice). Any opinions on the first 4 carriers? I know I should book by the end of this month - at the latest - since paper work still needs to be sent in.

Karen

LionKingRules84
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I have finally paid off the balance of the trip :cool1:.

My only problem now is to book my airfare. I not sure what is holding me back at booking - maybe it the thought that there has to be a better deal than what is being offered at the moment. Right now it's a toss up among Delta, Lufthansa, United, British Airways and Air Canada (my last choice). Any opinions on the first 4 carriers? I know I should book by the end of this month - at the latest - since paper work still needs to be sent in.

Karen

I'm terrible to ask because I basically went with what I know (british airways). Everyone has a different experience with different airlines so it depends. As far as price it's hit or miss, tuesday and wednesday afternoons seemed to be the cheapest my husband and I found. The airlines seem to change every year on when is the best time to buy tickets at the lowest price. I've come to the conclusion that you will always find a better deal after you buy so dwelling on it won't help. We found flight times we were happy with and waited till we could get the cheapest seats without them selling out.

I don't travel as much as others so I'm sure someone will have better pointers than me on this but wanted to share if it helps.

British Airways are ok but they have crazy, weird fees tacked on to their ticket prices that bothers me. Plus none of their flights will go non-stop from any other city but London(Heathrow airport) so you have to fly there to go back to the states. Only airline, for me, that went non-stop from Paris home was USAir but then their hub is PHL(where I am) so that's why. I decided on British Airways since I had flown with them before and the negative reviews weren't as scathing as USAir so they won and they had decent flight times including a non-stop flight to london from PHL.

I've heard a lot of negative things about United but again they seem to be hit or miss like any other American based Airline. Same goes for Delta but I've heard great things about them from people on The Dis, and negative things when I searched online or from people I know. Neither worked for me even if the reviews were positive since they had Zero non-stop flights to Europe and were often paired with another airline sometimes(some of the layovers were reaching into almost 3 hours and beyond and the price was no cheaper than a non-stop with BA)

Again I'm far from an expert but wanted to share my experience in case it at all helps.

k5jmh
07-11-2012, 07:15 AM
We flew United and It was a great experience flying to London.

SingingMom
07-11-2012, 08:34 AM
We flew United and It was a great experience flying to London.

We also flew Newark to Heathrow and Charles de Gaul to Newark, both non-stop with United and we luckily had no problems! Of course "you never know"! Lol. Good luck! :-)

DisneyKevin
07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
We've flown US Air to Europe several times and were quite pleased.

On one trip, there were six ABDers on the same flight.

me_minnie_me
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Finally booked my airfare with British Airways. I think that I got a pretty decent price. Just have to drop the airline forms in the mail to ABD in the morning. Now to really buckle down in prepping for the adventure. So much to do in so little time.

LionKingRules84
07-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Well finally sealed the deal for my 'Adventure after the Adventure' and pretty excited about it! I'll be doing a two night 3 day horseback ride in Ceton/Perche hills area of France. I've been taking weekly English riding lessons and some local trail rides to prepare for it since I'm terribly out of shape and still am, not great at controlling the horse beyond a walk but it will just be my husband and I so I'm not to terribly worried. Two days of 6 hours on horseback will be interesting though, I guess I'll be going home sore.

I went through a European travel agent Ride in France (http://www.rideinfrance.com/) to book which was interesting but they were very helpful and patient which is all I can really ask for in a travel agent. I hope it's ok to share them here they mainly offer horseback riding vacations only not something Disney offers. A lot of them are for advanced riders, I really wanted to do the one where they do a ride around Mont St. Michel but that one stated several times 'advanced riders only'. If this turns out well I'll most likely go back and do that, I'd rather drive there the first time instead of riding around it on horseback anyway. Perche Hills sounds nice and I even found a tripadvisor reviews for the place we are staying but the reviews are in french and they are all positive and most of them were beginners and novice riders so it sounds like a win!

Also keep in mind anyone looking into above for anything they are a European travel agent so as Americans the insurance they offer won't work you will have to find a travel insurance that at least offers repatriation. I went to our local AAA office and got something through Alliance. I didn't realize this before trying to book this so it took forever to get this booked because of it. It's deceiving since the site is in English, I think it's set up for English speaking residents of Europe who want to vacation to France. So if you are planning to do something after the adventure be aware you may need travel insurance since I think the ABD travel insurance ends after the adventure does.

I still plan on doing other tourist things in Normandy but not sure when and in what order. It seems everything is exactly 2 hours from where I'll be staying so I can only do one thing a day. Better get planning! :surfweb:

SingingMom
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Well finally sealed the deal for my 'Adventure after the Adventure' and pretty excited about it! I'll be doing a two night 3 day horseback ride in Ceton/Perche hills area of France. I've been taking weekly English riding lessons and some local trail rides to prepare for it since I'm terribly out of shape and still am, not great at controlling the horse beyond a walk but it will just be my husband and I so I'm not to terribly worried. Two days of 6 hours on horseback will be interesting though, I guess I'll be going home sore.

I went through a European travel agent Ride in France (http://www.rideinfrance.com/) to book which was interesting but they were very helpful and patient which is all I can really ask for in a travel agent. I hope it's ok to share them here they mainly offer horseback riding vacations only not something Disney offers. A lot of them are for advanced riders, I really wanted to do the one where they do a ride around Mont St. Michel but that one stated several times 'advanced riders only'. If this turns out well I'll most likely go back and do that, I'd rather drive there the first time instead of riding around it on horseback anyway. Perche Hills sounds nice and I even found a tripadvisor reviews for the place we are staying but the reviews are in french and they are all positive and most of them were beginners and novice riders so it sounds like a win!

Also keep in mind anyone looking into above for anything they are a European travel agent so as Americans the insurance they offer won't work you will have to find a travel insurance that at least offers repatriation. I went to our local AAA office and got something through Alliance. I didn't realize this before trying to book this so it took forever to get this booked because of it. It's deceiving since the site is in English, I think it's set up for English speaking residents of Europe who want to vacation to France. So if you are planning to do something after the adventure be aware you may need travel insurance since I think the ABD travel insurance ends after the adventure does.

I still plan on doing other tourist things in Normandy but not sure when and in what order. It seems everything is exactly 2 hours from where I'll be staying so I can only do one thing a day. Better get planning! :surfweb:

Our DD is an avid horsewoman, rides on the collegiate level. She would LOVE this add-on!! She's already asking to do the Scotland tour because it includes horseback riding! One of our guides pointed out every horse we passed during our Knights and Lights tour for her! There was a famous riding school outside of Versailles that he showed her. She couldn't convince him to drop her off there, however! ;-).

LionKingRules84
07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Our DD is an avid horsewoman, rides on the collegiate level. She would LOVE this add-on!! She's already asking to do the Scotland tour because it includes horseback riding! One of our guides pointed out every horse we passed during our Knights and Lights tour for her! There was a famous riding school outside of Versailles that he showed her. She couldn't convince him to drop her off there, however! ;-).

That's very cool! I read about Versailles and the school your speaking of but wasn't sure if it was still there. I'm tempted to ask them to drop me off there and pick me up on the way back myself but I'm sure that's not possible. :P I think that would be cooler to see than Versailles but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

I wanted to do Scotland for the same reason but I also have always wanted to visit Scotland and that itinerary really was one of the best I've seen for that country. My husband is pretty sure he is of Scottish decent I'm of course Irish so I love the Scots!

Again though keep in mind the travel agent I went through for this was European so it's slightly more complicated than anything you can book through Disney and there was a slight language barrier. My husband is pretty sure our agent was using a translator to communicate with us. This didn't bother me but it's something to keep in mind. I keep wondering if I'll be able to know horse commands in French by the time I return.

LionKingRules84
07-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually out of curiosity I went to the Versailles page and they do shows at the Equestrian center which is near the gate and out Versailles tour is on a Saturday which is when they do their big show there...though the site mentions needing reservations and the site is in French and when translated I'm unable to bring up the page to make reservations. I may have to wait and decide on that when I get there and hope they have seats available if there is a show before the bus leaves.

SingingMom
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Actually out of curiosity I went to the Versailles page and they do shows at the Equestrian center which is near the gate and out Versailles tour is on a Saturday which is when they do their big show there...though the site mentions needing reservations and the site is in French and when translated I'm unable to bring up the page to make reservations. I may have to wait and decide on that when I get there and hope they have seats available if there is a show before the bus leaves.

That would be amazing! Although, I would never have missed out on the visit to Versailles - that was one of the highlights of our trip! The palace was beyond amazing, the luncheon was delicious, but the best memory for me is the walk our guide and I took when my bike pedal fell off and we pushed our bikes around the canal for the rest of the way! We had such a special heart-to-heart chat that I will never forget! :goodvibes

If you do attend the Equestrian center, please post photos!:thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Well folks....it's almost officially your turn!

Tonight is the last official Backstage Magic Chat.

Starting August 2nd, the ABD Chat Room belongs to y'all on Thursday nights...beginning at 8:00pmish EST.

I'll be there on August 16th...so if you have any questions....write them down and save them for me!

Talk to y'all soon!

Kevin

LionKingRules84
07-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I'll be very busy this week up to but not including Thursday the 2nd so I'll try to make it this week if I remember. :p

DisneyKevin
07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I'll be very busy this week up to but not including Thursday the 2nd so I'll try to make it this week if I remember. :p

We have a couple of months to chat.

LionKingRules84
08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
This past week has been a nightmare so I did not make it to chat this week, I plan on trying to do so this week though granted I'm in better spirits then.

I think London is pretty much planned at this point not so much for Paris. Though I won't be to upset if I don't plan Paris. I'm more than certain I'll enjoy myself even if I plan when I get there. It's one of the few cities I've visited where being there is enough to enjoy it, even if all I did was sit at a cafe the entire three days and people watch.

SingingMom
08-07-2012, 09:46 AM
This past week has been a nightmare so I did not make it to chat this week, I plan on trying to do so this week though granted I'm in better spirits then.

I think London is pretty much planned at this point not so much for Paris. Though I won't be to upset if I don't plan Paris. I'm more than certain I'll enjoy myself even if I plan when I get there. It's one of the few cities I've visited where being there is enough to enjoy it, even if all I did was sit at a cafe the entire three days and people watch.

Oh I agree! What is better than people watching in a Parisian sidewalk cafe?!?! <3

Sarabi's Cubs
08-07-2012, 10:35 AM

On last year's ABD, I planned the London part like crazy - mainly because I am obsessed with British history and really had no interest in the Paris part of the trip (I know!!! I can't believe it myself!) So we spent alot of our free time strolling around the Latin quarter and Montmartre and it was amazing!!! Can't wait to go back and not plan anything again!

Laurie

fsufan53
08-07-2012, 03:42 PM

What are your plans for London? Kevin, how much free time will we have after Harrod's on Tuesday? We are going to try and do a Beatles tour.

LionKingRules84
08-07-2012, 11:29 PM
What are your plans for London? Kevin, how much free time will we have after Harrod's on Tuesday? We are going to try and do a Beatles tour.

I've basically planned my pre-nights since I will be there that Saturday and Sunday before the adventure actually starts in London. London Walks is doing their 'Magical Mystery Tour' for The Beatles so I will be doing that Sunday when it is scheduled.

I plan on doing Camden Lock Markets and SoHo either day I have time too. Other things on the list are a visit to Baker Street(Sherlock Holmes) The British Museum and The National Gallery. I haven't looked up what days those places are open but I know that they apparently are free and I'm sure I could do either during the adventure on our free time. The National Gallery has one of my favorite Van Goghe paintings and The British Museum has a lot of Egyptian artifacts I'd like to see(including the Rosetta Stone).

I'd love to see the British Library but not sure I will have time but that is free too and they have a ton of things I'd like to see. I've wanted to do madame tussauds except the lines are long all the time(I know from experience they are that way)and it's not free like all the other things above I mentioned and I think I'd rather walk around some of the markets then waste time in a line to see wax sculptures of celebrities, as neat as that would be, it's not an ideal use of time and I don't know when I will be back to London.

This will sound weird but I've also always wanted to 'walk' across The Tower Bridge so I plan on doing that when I have time.

I don't have a lot on the list of things I must do in Paris besides some of the Markets and eating lots of food and drinking lots of wine. :P The Orsay Museum would be nice to do again especially since I love Impressionism. I was more impressed by that collection then The Louvre, which I would like to walk around in some more as well this time. Otherwise just enjoy some night walks since as a teenager I didn't get to do that in Paris much but I can now. Paris has that vibe about it though that you just want to sit back and enjoy as opposed to rush through everything. Basically Paris tells you 'I know you will be back so just enjoy!' and I just can't argue with it. ;)

DisneyKevin
08-08-2012, 07:10 AM

I'm currently aboard the Disney Magic and don't have access to all my info, but as far as I remember, you were on your own after lunch.

You could take the bus back to the hotel or stay and shop in Harrods....or do anything else you wanted to do.

As this was the only time we could all do it together, we decided to meet later that afternoon and all ride the London Eye.

We stayed and shopped at Harrods for a while and then hopped in a taxi to the eye.

I believe dinner was on our own.

Sarabi's Cubs
08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Yes, dinner was on our own that day, and you won't need it after lunch at Harrod's!

If you're interested in the British Museum, have you found the "History of the World in 100 Objects" podcast? It has short podcasts about objects in the British Museum. I think it was produced by the BBC. I listened to several on things I was interested in seeing and thought it made our visit more interesting. Also, there are free seminars throughout the day in various rooms. We went to one on the Egyptian artifacts and on Elgin's (stolen) marbles. Very interesting (but then I am a history junkie). The British Museum is very close to the hotel so it's easy to get to.

Laurie

LionKingRules84
08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
As this was the only time we could all do it together, we decided to meet later that afternoon and all ride the London Eye.

Just a quick question concerning this, the itinerary in the first post mentions that The London Eye was included this trip so will everyone be doing this together like last trip and are tickets included as well? This is a must do for me which is the only reason I'm asking, if it's not included I would like to plan it to do on my own then.

Hope The Magic is treating you well! :flower3:

SingingMom
08-08-2012, 03:30 PM
That's the one thing we missed doing - the London Eye because we did Kensington Palace our first day and afternoon tea at Chancery Court and a show on the West End. We figure that means we must return ! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

topwif
08-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Tower Bridge has its own Exhibition, you wouldn't need too much time to visit. You also should visit Covent Garden.

there is a web site for the exhibition but I can't post links

BriarRosie
08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Yes, dinner was on our own that day, and you won't need it after lunch at Harrod's!

If you're interested in the British Museum, have you found the "History of the World in 100 Objects" podcast? It has short podcasts about objects in the British Museum. I think it was produced by the BBC. I listened to several on things I was interested in seeing and thought it made our visit more interesting. Also, there are free seminars throughout the day in various rooms. We went to one on the Egyptian artifacts and on Elgin's (stolen) marbles. Very interesting (but then I am a history junkie). The British Museum is very close to the hotel so it's easy to get to.

Laurie

Funny you should mention a podcast. I had been listening to Rick Steves's podcasts, and on his site, I found a link for his walking tours of sites in London and Paris. The only one I tried was for the British Museum, and I'm so glad I did! I knew I only had a few hours to do this before starting the ABD part of the tour, so I managed to see the things I most wanted to see. The Rosetta Stone, the Egyptian collection, the Elgin (Parthenon) marbles. Plus a lot of stuff discussed in detail by Rick as I was seeing it. Loved it.

LionKingRules84
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I just realized after watching the Olympics closing ceremony that our trip is less than 90 days away! I couldn't be more excited! :banana:

I assume our Magical ABD boxes will be shipping soon? ;)

DisneyKevin
08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I assume our Magical ABD boxes will be shipping soon? ;)

Usually 30 - 45 days prior to departure.:thumbsup2

LionKingRules84
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I bought a new camera in anticipation for the trip! It's a Nikon D5100 with a 55-200mm Zoom lens. It's replacing my little pocket canon digital camera which isn't a very good camera. I'm not use to lugging around a camera of this size but I really wanted an HD video camera and Ryan wanted a better still camera that takes nice quick shots I thought this was a nice compromise, albeit expensive one. :p I was originally looking into the Nikon D3100 but they had a deal on this at Sam's Club for the D5100 with an extra lens.

Since I'm pretty sure I won't be taking a vacation of this scale for quite awhile and I hate that I don't have video of the two of us on any kind of vacation I figured it would be a good idea to replace our camera for this trip. Plus with the horseback riding I'm doing I'd like to have good video of my progress as I get better so it has other uses besides vacation. That's my excuse anyway :rolleyes1.

We are also in the process of buying new luggage too since I'm sure the luggage we currently have won't survive a trip to Europe.

I'm not even sure how to pack for this trip. I plan on layering up since it sounds like the temperatures in both London and Paris are similar to here. The weather even here has been strange this year so I'm not sure what I'm going to pack at this point for clothes. :confused3

MinnieGarden
08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
We are also in the process of buying new luggage too since I'm sure the luggage we currently have won't survive a trip to Europe.

I'm not even sure how to pack for this trip. I plan on layering up since it sounds like the temperatures in both London and Paris are similar to here. The weather even here has been strange this year so I'm not sure what I'm going to pack at this point for clothes. :confused3

Quite a few of us discovered the value of layers on last year's adventure. Being from Texas, I didn't really understand the concept! :confused3 Having said that, I will be better prepared for our next adventure. Europeans have a different definition of air conditioning, so many of the places you visit will be quite warm inside, hence the layers. Also, a couple of pairs of good walking shoes are essential.

Luggage..... several of us purchased HUGE duffel bags on sale from one of the Travel Pro lines. We also found good deals on eBags.com. Be sure to check with your airline about weight restrictions. We flew Continental/United and our weight limit for checked bags was something like 70 - 80 lbs. :thumbsup2

Chropistopy
08-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Quite a few of us discovered the value of layers on last year's adventure. Being from Texas, I didn't really understand the concept! :confused3 Having said that, I will be better prepared for our next adventure. Europeans have a different definition of air conditioning, so many of the places you visit will be quite warm inside, hence the layers. Also, a couple of pairs of good walking shoes are essential.

Luggage..... several of us purchased HUGE duffel bags on sale from one of the Travel Pro lines. We also found good deals on eBags.com. Be sure to check with your airline about weight restrictions. We flew Continental/United and our weight limit for checked bags was something like 70 - 80 lbs. :thumbsup2

If you think you'll be going over the weight limit, you may come out cheaper paying for an additional checked bag. With US Airways, it is much cheaper to pay for a second bag...plus there's more room for purchases.

LionKingRules84
08-19-2012, 07:03 PM

I actually do that here in the fall I wear a short sleeved t-shirt underneath a small nice hooded jacket or a pull over long sleeved shirt. This always works better for me since I own a ton of short sleeved shirts and only a few long sleeved ones. Plus the jackets/pull overs can be worn multiple times, unless I spill something on it or get drenched in the rain.

British Airways is pretty good at letting you know the weight limit and we already bought a decent luggage scale from AAA.

I think my husband mentioned we might be getting Samsonite's clam shell style luggage. We are looking into luggage that is waterproof and fits everything we want to bring with a little space left over for goodies from the trip.

fsufan53
08-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi Everyone

We are getting excited about our trip. I have a few questions for Kevin and/or the folks from last years trip.

How much should I plan on bringing in Pounds/Euros? I plan on putting everything I can on my credit card, however I know some places might not take them, so I didnt know if anyone had an amount they were comfortable with. I know the Pounds are very large so I dont want to have too much!

Speaking of Credit Cards, which ones are best for international travel? I have Capital One and Chase and am going to call them.

Would anyone mind sharing the expenses they incurred while on the trip on food/souvenirs/taxis/tips/etc.? I am a big budgeter so just trying to plan.

What is the reccomended tip amount for our ABD guides?

We got our passports last year but have not used them. Is there anything we should know or have to do before using them?

Cell phone - how does Verizon do international billing?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be prepared. We have never traveled out of the country before so I want to make sure there are no (bad) surprises!

Thanks

DisneyKevin
08-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi Everyone

We are getting excited about our trip. I have a few questions for Kevin and/or the folks from last years trip.

How much should I plan on bringing in Pounds/Euros? I plan on putting everything I can on my credit card, however I know some places might not take them, so I didnt know if anyone had an amount they were comfortable with. I know the Pounds are very large so I dont want to have too much!

Speaking of Credit Cards, which ones are best for international travel? I have Capital One and Chase and am going to call them.

Would anyone mind sharing the expenses they incurred while on the trip on food/souvenirs/taxis/tips/etc.? I am a big budgeter so just trying to plan.

We got our passports last year but have not used them. Is there anything we should know or have to do before using them?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be prepared. We have never traveled out of the country before so I want to make sure there are no (bad) surprises!

Thanks

How much money you should bring will depend on many things.

What do you intend to purchase? Where do you intend to go? What do you intend to eat? What do you intend to do on during your free time?

The answers to those questions will greatly impact the answers given.

It's suggested that you have some of the local money upon landing. US dollars will not be accepted and you will feel funny buying a bottle of water with a credit card.

ATMS are available everywhere and offer a competitive exchange rate plus the bank fee. Most folks found that to be the easiest.

Visa, MasterCard and American Express were accepted widely. Discover was not. They hadn't heard of it.

From the ABD website on gratuities:

Adventure Guide Gratuities: Gratuities for your Adventures Guides are not included. If you feel that your Adventure Guides have provided excellent service, we suggest the following discretionary gratuity: Per Guest/Per Adventure Guide/Per Day - $6-$9 USD. For example:
• For an 8-day adventure, the Adventure Guide gratuity per guest, per Adventure Guide: $48-$72 USD.
• For a family of 4 for a 8-day adventure: $192-$288 USD per Adventure Guide. For 2 Guides, this is a total of: $384-$576 USD.

As long as your passport is valid, there is nothing special you have to do with it other than bring it with you and have it handy when moving from one country to the next. Do you put it in your luggage.

Cell phone usage in Europe is pricey. Your best bet is to call Verizon and get your information from them....and then dont use your phone. While calls are expensive, data is ridiculous. I would make sure that everyone knows that phones are for "emergencies only".

sayhello
08-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Everyone

How much should I plan on bringing in Pounds/Euros? I plan on putting everything I can on my credit card, however I know some places might not take them, so I didnt know if anyone had an amount they were comfortable with. I know the Pounds are very large so I dont want to have too much! I spent several days in England before our ABD, and had to pay for my B&B in cash (British pounds). I think, all told, I had about $500 worth of pounds & euros. I think I gave the extra pounds to our British ABD Guide as a tip, since Adam lives in England. I'm pretty sure the rest of the euros I traded back. It was really nice to have cash with me when I landed (as Kevin suggests) to buy food, etc, until I got settled.

Speaking of Credit Cards, which ones are best for international travel? I have Capital One and Chase and am going to call them. In my experience, Capitol One has been the best for international travel, because they don't charge a foreign transaction fee. And their exchange rate seemed good, too. I'd call both cards & make sure which one has the least in fees.

We got our passports last year but have not used them. Is there anything we should know or have to do before using them?Make sure you sign them. I forgot to sign my new one when I got it, and the immigration agent coming back from Canada could have made my life miserable if he'd wanted to, because *technically* I'd entered Canada, and was trying to re-enter the US with an invalid passport. (They aren't valid unless signed). Other than that, you should be good to go!

Cell phone - how does Verizon do international billing?Assuming your phone works in Europe (many don't) you should call Verizon and sign up for an International calling plan for the month. You can cancel it when you get back. It's like $5 bucks, not a lot, and your per call/text rate will go down significantly. If your phone doesn't work in Europe, you can borrow one that does from Verizon for the cost of postage (about $10). You just have to return it within 30 days. And you'll still want the International calling plan. Give Verizon's Global support folks a call, and they can run you through everything you need to know.

ThanksLet me know if you have any other questions. There *is* a lot involved in traveling overseas. But it's all very doable!

Sayhello

jcb
08-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Eric's question reminded me of a couple of things we learned in Italy. Just to be safe, take two different credit cards. Upon arriving, we went to a bankomat (ATM) to get cash. DW and I withdrew from our respective accounts. The next time we tried a withdrawal, only my card worked. We both had called the banks before leaving. Only her bank, a credit union, "forgot" and decided they needed confirmation from her that she was in europe.

The only problem was that her AT&T iPhone stopped getting a signal (never did figure out why) so we didn't know any of this until we returned home. We thought about calling the bank but the time difference and travel schedule made that a hassle especially since my card worked fine.

Like Tobi said, I've also heard that a Verizon phone will not work in Europe. That is a good thing however. Forget the phone, take lots of photos, and enjoy yourself.

Sarabi's Cubs
08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Ditto to pretty much everything that Tobi (sayhello) said. We have Verizon and it worked exactly as she said. I just got a global plan for a month and they mailed me a temporary phone to use while overseas and had no problems. We didn't use our credit cards in Europe. We got a prepaid debit card from AAA that did not charge extra fees and could be used as either a credit card or to withdraw money from an ATM It worked great. I think we each had $400 in cash split between pounds and euros. We did the same thing as Tobi with our leftover pounds - used them as part of Adam's tip since he's British. Between Paris and DLP, I didn't have any euro's left!:)

Laurie

k5jmh
08-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Everyone

Christy and I brought about £500 and €250 a piece. We also each had a Travelex Chip and Pin card for Credit/Debit purchases in France. This made life simple when purchasing. We each also had a back-up Travelex card.

Harrods, in London, also accepts Credit and Debit purchases in American Dollars so that there is no additional exchange fees.

We had Chase Cards and had no problem using them. We called them the week we to travel and let them know.

Tipping is very different. Think 3 to 5%. Although when we did tip 18 to 20% or told the taxi drivers to keep the change, you would think that we just knighted to drivers or servers. Their eyes got as big as gold dollars and they offered their first born in return.

We also bought tube cards ahead of the trip so that we could take the London subway system. This came in very handy during our pre-days.

The Subways also have very steep Escalators.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/312198_1957820901332_8180557_n.jpg

There is the amount abd suggests, but we, um, doubled that, and then some. We had fantastic guides. :worship:

DON'T LOSE THEM!!

We had ATT and no issues with them. I did purchase a Vodaphone Sim for my Ipad and that worked very well.

...if you have Netflix, you really need to watch the series called "The Tower." :rotfl2:

Kevin loved it! :happytv:

SingingMom
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
We didn't bring much local currency. Everyone took credit cards We used it for tips and occasional tiny purchases. I don't think we even bought water - our guides always had it on the motor coaches. They were amazing, beyond words! Even in front of Notre Dame, they treated us to homemade croissants!

We tipped throughout London and Paris similar to what we tip at home. I know it was "over" the customary, but we had such wonder service everywhere we went that we wanted to say thank you. The server at the cafe we had dinner at in Paris was overwhelmed. We were touched by that, as it truly was what we would have left at home for
good service. (I thought he was going to personally escort us back to our hotel, or invite us for breakfast at his home! Lol)

I called Verizon before we left home - had to activate the SIMS card in the blackberries and iPhone. I gave them our travel dates and they prorated an international plan for us. We kept the roaming off and only used the phone when necessary. Foxhills has free Internet access , btw.

We tipped our guides more than the "recommended" because we fell in love with them. <3 Hope we travel with them again! You will be fine to do whatever you feel you can afford.

Have a MAGICAL time!!!!

jcb
08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
We tipped our guides more than the "recommended" because we fell in love with them.

I'm glad to hear others did this. At the end of the Italian trip, I really felt that the maximum "recommended" amount was too low.

SingingMom
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm glad to hear others did this. At the end of the Italian trip, I really felt that the maximum "recommended" amount was too low.

To tell you the truth, I wish we had given even more. I wished I could have known what others did, but of course would never dream of asking. I just wanted to make sure we had taken care of them sufficiently. They went above and beyond, in my opinion. I would have brought them home with us if we could have. LOL

fsufan53
08-27-2012, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;45943968]How much money you should bring will depend on many things.

What do you intend to purchase? Where do you intend to go? What do you intend to eat? What do you intend to do on during your free time?

QUOTE]

Thanks Kevin. The main thing is food, as I am thinking around $30-$40 a meal for both of us at OYO meals since we will probably will want to eat something authentic but slightly more inexpensive. I am also anticipating not being so hungry after all the great meals included with the trip. Does that sound reasonable?

Do you know what time lunch at Harrods ends on Day 2? I think we may try to hit a cab to Churchill's War Rooms or a Beatles tour right after that if we have enough time. Also, will we have anytime in London after Lunch on Day 3 or do we go directly to our Foxhills transfer? Sorry I am so OCD but I want to get the max out of London that I can!

I am not doing as much research on Paris for our OYO time as we will prob want to just experience the city or tag along with the group if some folks are going to do something cool, if you guys will have us!

To the rest of you, thank you so much for replying and for the tips. Feel free to share more. Going out of the USA is intimidating but you guys are making the task much lighter.

mattincanberra
08-27-2012, 06:28 AM

I usually travel as much as possible without Cash, and grab a small amour from an ATM (Think 40 pounds ish) to keep in my wallet for coffee/water/bottle of coke kind of purchases.

One thing to be aware of, if you are carrying pounds that you want to exchange for euros the exchange rates at the St Pancras were a complete rip off. I really would suggest keeping your exposure to "Real money" as limited as you can.

Mastercard and Visa cards will be almost universally accepted, American Express a little less so - figure out the fees for each card - I have one that is better for getting cash with, and another that has a lower fee for purchases.

I couldn't tell you how much I spent, but it didn't feel excessive, it will depend on what kind of restaurants etc you want to go to.

DisneyKevin
08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;45943968]How much money you should bring will depend on many things.

QUOTE]

Thanks Kevin. The main thing is food, as I am thinking around $30-$40 a meal for both of us at OYO meals since we will probably will want to eat something authentic but slightly more inexpensive. I am also anticipating not being so hungry after all the great meals included with the trip. Does that sound reasonable?

Do you know what time lunch at Harrods ends on Day 2? I think we may try to hit a cab to Churchill's War Rooms or a Beatles tour right after that if we have enough time. Also, will we have anytime in London after Lunch on Day 3 or do we go directly to our Foxhills transfer? Sorry I am so OCD but I want to get the max out of London that I can!

I am not doing as much research on Paris for our OYO time as we will prob want to just experience the city or tag along with the group if some folks are going to do something cool, if you guys will have us!

To the rest of you, thank you so much for replying and for the tips. Feel free to share more. Going out of the USA is intimidating but you guys are making the task much lighter.

I did not find food in London or Paris to be more or less expensive than in Orlando. That being said...it will depend on where and what you eat.

Matt, John and I had a great lunch at a Wagamama (Asain food, sushi) and for the three of us, it was about $100.00

I dont remember the exact time that we finished lunch at Harrod's, as it was a buffet and folks left as they finished. There was transportation back to the hotel, or you could stay and shop in Harrod's (or do as you pleased). I know stayed and shopped a bit, but, as a group, we had decided to meet at the London Eye and ride as a group. Judging by the fact that we had time to shop and ride the Eye.....I'm thinking lunch finished fairly early....12:30 to 1:30ish.

Unfortunately, this is the first year that the trip is going to Foxhills, so I have nothing to go by.

DisneyKevin
08-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Taxis were similar to NYC taxis, but bigger.

London taxis seat 5 comfortably.

DisneyKevin
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Please welcome Dustin, Shaun and William to the party!

:dance3:

This is Dustin, Shaun and William dancing. Make sure you ask to see them do it in person..

LionKingRules84
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
:wave2: Welcome Dustin, William and Shaun! The more the merrier! :yay:

I will gladly join in the dancing if it is asked. :dance3:

SingingMom
08-27-2012, 06:57 PM
We finished lunch at Harrods, shopped for a bit (daughter could have stayed in the equestrian department for hours!), took the tube and got lost for an hour, looking for the TKTS booth. (dopey me was looking at the map upside down @@). Found the TKTS booth, purchased our tickets to that evenings performance of Les Miz, took the tube back to Chancery Court, and had a wonderful afternoon tea in the hotel lounge
, time to clean up, and out to jump in a cab for our evening performance! (theatre on the West End was on our must do list !)

LionKingRules84
08-27-2012, 09:27 PM
We finished lunch at Harrods, shopped for a bit (daughter could have stayed in the equestrian department for hours!), took the tube and got lost for an hour, looking for the TKTS booth. (dopey me was looking at the map upside down @@). Found the TKTS booth, purchased our tickets to that evenings performance of Les Miz, took the tube back to Chancery Court, and had a wonderful afternoon tea in the hotel lounge
, time to clean up, and out to jump in a cab for our evening performance! (theatre on the West End was on our must do list !)

Harrods has an equestrian department?! Looks like I'll be spending more time in Harrods than I thought. :) I know of a stable about 20 minutes by tube(although pretty much everything I've looked into is about 20 mins, the Chancery Court seems awesome for that) that also has a tack shop that I plan on trying to visit if I have time. If Harrods has what I'm looking for I may not have to take the trip but visiting a stable might be fun though.

SingingMom
08-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Harrods has an equestrian department?! Looks like I'll be spending more time in Harrods than I thought. :) I know of a stable about 20 minutes by tube(although pretty much everything I've looked into is about 20 mins, the Chancery Court seems awesome for that) that also has a tack shop that I plan on trying to visit if I have time. If Harrods has what I'm looking for I may not have to take the trip but visiting a stable might be fun though.

The equestrian department was awesome!! We bought DD two official Team GB Olympic polos - one long sleeved and one short sleeved. She is the envy of her entire college equestrian team!! ;-)

WebmasterShaun
08-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi Everyone! I am so looking forward to this trip - I can hardly wait!

:yay:

I had a really nice time chatting with everyone last night too!

LionKingRules84
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi Everyone! I am so looking forward to this trip - I can hardly wait!

:yay:

I had a really nice time chatting with everyone last night too!

As am I! :yay: Enjoyed chatting with you too! As well as everyone else that was there.

Slightly off topic but just watched a movie called 'Paris' off of netflix just now and I really liked it. It takes place in Paris and is in French and the subtitles are pretty close and only a few characters speak extremely fast so they are easy to understand in French. It doesn't really have a plot it's basically a bunch of stories of people and the city of Paris. Kinda like the movie 'Crash' only A LOT less dramatic. Got me excited for the trip actually so thought I would share. :)

k5jmh
09-01-2012, 09:50 AM
If anyone is going to be spending a few extra Pre-days in London, it might be worth looking into the information below. We used our Oyster Cards all over London and loved it. Once the Adventure begins, the guides will give you Tube passes if you need them.

I would suggest getting an oyster card (£5 refundable deposit if you hand the card back in) as you pay £1.90 per journey by tube rather than £4.00 for the cash fare. They also cap each days total spend, it's £6.60 if you don't travel between 6.30 - 9.30am and 4 - 7pm Monday to Friday and £8.00 if you do travel between those times :thumbsup2

You can get these at most tube stations I think.

This is the website (https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do)

fsufan53
09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Whay about adapters for the outlets when I need to charge my phone, etc.? Do I really need one and where is the best place to buy?

jcb
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Whay about adapters for the outlets when I need to charge my phone, etc.? Do I really need one and where is the best place to buy?

You should read Mike's post: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2799671

I ordered mine from Amazon.

whodini
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Your phone charger is actually dual voltage. I'm going to pick up a good world travel adapter and then use my travel surge protector for my equipment.

Check out something like this, which also includes a built-in USB port - http://www.amazon.com/Tripshell-WORLD-TRAVEL-ADAPTER-Built-/dp/B005AF0C2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346965301&sr=1-1&keywords=world+travel+adapter+usb

k5jmh
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
From our adventure last year...

And you have to use the UK plug on the Eurostar until you get to France, then you have to change to the France plug on the train. :rolleyes1

While this is still fresh on my brain, I thought I would throw out some things we learned from our Recent Adventures by Disney Trip to London and Paris. I hope that this reference will help not only those traveling to London and Paris, but to other locations as well

Understand the Power requirements of the locations you are going.

Check all of your devices and make sure they are capable of dual voltages!
Learn what plug adapters you will need. London and Paris use different power plugs than the ones used in the US and they are different from each other.
Get a dual voltage power strip that uses a universal power connector. If you get into a situation where you need to unplug a lamp to get power, you can plug in the lamp into the universal plug.

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/universalpowerstrip.jpg http://www.chinawholesalez.com/img/p/n/universal-us-eu-au-to-uk-ac-power-plug-adapter-travel-converter-ceg404-83621-1.jpg
If you have an Ipad and want to avoid costly internet charges at the hotel, find a SIM Card provider that does not require a credit card on file.

I used Vodaphone. They charged £5 for a Sim and 250mb of data. I was able to get an additional 750mb for £15. Very reasonable. I used about 500mb total while we were in London.

Think about the bag you will carry around and protecting your wallet.

Think about using a messenger bag over a backpack. It is easier to keep a hand on a messenger bag. I carried a messenger style camera sling bag instead of my backpack. It is not as easy for someone to take items from a messenger bag.
Watch your pockets and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

If you use the hotel internet, bring a small wifi router (not access point).

When you purchase the hotel wifi or wired internet, you can only use it on a couple of devices. I had my travel router with me. This helped in connecting my Ipad, Blackberry, Iphone, and laptop. The router allowed me to use the wired connection and share that with all of my devices.

If you have free time, plan it out before you go on your trip.

We made reservations at a couple of restaurants several months out. These were small cafes and the space went quickly.

Take time to plan out where you want to wander.

Know that the most popular locations, in Paris especially, are popular targets for pickpockets and scammers. People will also sell "le crap" at these spots. AVOID THEM. We saw a person buy something and then he was then pegged as a "sucker." And was hit by every illegal "le crap" vendor.

XL = Sausage Skin in Paris.

I tried to purchase an XL shirt in Paris but was not happy to find that XL in Paris means body condom in US sizes. They do not sell any thing above XXL, and that was even tight.

More to come....

SingingMom
09-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Best buy and radio shack had adapters, too, if you don't want to order online. Just make sure you get a UK and a European adapter. The ones in UK are different than Paris. :-)

fsufan53
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Thank you all so much, we found an adapter package at Target that has adapters for UK and France so I think we are covered.

Next question! LOL I saw where some of you tipped the ABD guides in Pounds or Euros, however could I tip them via an American check? I dont want to carry much currency.

Thanks

DisneyKevin
09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Thank you all so much, we found an adapter package at Target that has adapters for UK and France so I think we are covered.

Next question! LOL I saw where some of you tipped the ABD guides in Pounds or Euros, however could I tip them via an American check? I dont want to carry much currency.

Thanks

At this point, we dont know who our guides will be.

Last year, we had a guide from London and one from the US.

If we had a US guide again, a check might not be an issue. If our guides are European, checks might be very, very difficult to handle and there is the possibility that they might not be cashable at all.

If you have a debit card, you should be able to use European ATMS.

It would be far easier on our guides to receive cash as a tip.

At our welcome dinner last year, we asked where each of our guides were headed after our Adventure. Landon (American) was headed back to the states, so we tipped him in US dollars. Adam (British) was headed back to London, so he was tipped in pounds.

You have to make sure you take the conversion rate in account when dealing with gratuities.

Please understand that I am not telling you what you must do. There is no "must". I'm just offering an opinion.

LionKingRules84
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Sitting here planning and printing address' to places in Paris I keep going from Excited to Panic to the point it's getting to me. :scared: Basically 'Wow I can't wait to get here to OMG I'm not ready!!!'

I saw above a mention of making restaurant reservations especially in Paris. I tried to research places via trip advisor and google maps and realized the worst restaurant in Paris is still better than some of the best restaurants here. Am I incorrect in this assumption? I was becoming overwhelmed at trying to find places to make reservations at both London and Paris. Plus I don't have a cell phone plan for overseas calling so a reservation call would cost me. There are so many places to eat in both cities I feel just going around looking at places and just eating where I feel would be nice or what I'm in the mood for that evening seems better than make a blind reservation at a place and being 'set' to eat there that evening. There is also that issue with my husband's gluten allergy but I'm becoming less and less worried about that the more I research.

skunkvette
09-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Sitting here planning and printing address' to places in Paris I keep going from Excited to Panic to the point it's getting to me. :scared: Basically 'Wow I can't wait to get here to OMG I'm not ready!!!'

I saw above a mention of making restaurant reservations especially in Paris. I tried to research places via trip advisor and google maps and realized the worst restaurant in Paris is still better than some of the best restaurants here. Am I incorrect in this assumption? I was becoming overwhelmed at trying to find places to make reservations at both London and Paris. Plus I don't have a cell phone plan for overseas calling so a reservation call would cost me. There are so many places to eat in both cities I feel just going around looking at places and just eating where I feel would be nice or what I'm in the mood for that evening seems better than make a blind reservation at a place and being 'set' to eat there that evening. There is also that issue with my husband's gluten allergy but I'm becoming less and less worried about that the more I research.

We did this trip last September with the DIS, and we found that the concierges at both the London and Paris hotel were wonderful with dining recommendations and reservations.

Have fun!!

We made a day of reservation in Paris through the concierge for our OYO night and ended up having a terrific and romantic dining experience.

jcb
09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
We did this trip last September with the DIS, and we found that the concierges at both the London and Paris hotel were wonderful with dining recommendations and reservations.

Have fun!!

We made a day of reservation in Paris through the concierge for our OYO night and ended up having a terrific and romantic dining experience.

Frank reminded me that "we" did the same in Rome. Upon arrival (a day early) several in our group asked the concierge to make a restaurant recommendation. He not only made a recommendation, but called the restaurant to see if we could be seated. We like the restaurant so much we went back a second night.

Now, Rome is different than London and Paris, but there is something to be said for "winging it" instead of being an uber planner.

LionKingRules84
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the responses! :)

I think 'winging it' is the best idea and sounds like the hotels are pretty helpful in finding places and getting reservations.

I'm also a big 'walking around see a place and ask' type of person but not sure how well that works in Europe. Pubs I assume are 'walk up' places but I know here that's not always the case. Though I'm pretty comfortable at sitting at a bar instead of a table if it means I get to eat or drink sooner.

SingingMom
09-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the responses! :)

I think 'winging it' is the best idea and sounds like the hotels are pretty helpful in finding places and getting reservations.

I'm also a big 'walking around see a place and ask' type of person but not sure how well that works in Europe. Pubs I assume are 'walk up' places but I know here that's not always the case. Though I'm pretty comfortable at sitting at a bar instead of a table if it means I get to eat or drink sooner.

Had the best meal in Paris on the recommendation of our ABD guide Francesc : George V on the Champs Élysées! Escargot, French onion soup, duck, chicken, beef,champagne with strawberries, crepes with chocolate, citron sorbet..... EVERYTHING was delicious and we sat with the floor to ceiling windows open, so it was like we were right on the sidewalk and could people watch. Oh, I want to go back!! :-)

Sarabi's Cubs
09-13-2012, 09:04 AM
On last year's trip, at the recommendation of the concierge in the London hotel, we ate at an Italian place a block or two from the hotel called Bacco. I wasn't sure about it because we have pretty simple tastes and the menu was a little "frou frou", but it was delicious. A great way to kick off our trip!

Laurie

DisneyKevin
09-19-2012, 08:53 PM
It's here!

It's here!

Yours should be here soon!

LionKingRules84
09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
It's here!

It's here!

Yay! I'll have Ryan keep an eye out! :thumbsup2

PumpkinPilot
09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
It's here!

It's here!

Hey Kevin,

Can't believe you'll be back here in a little over 2 weeks time! That has come about so quickly. Venice seems like it was only a few weeks ago!

Are there any plans for a meet before your adventure begins? I know you were hoping to do something last time we spoke.

Will be great to see you all again, albeit briefly!

Adam

DisneyKevin
09-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey Kevin,

Can't believe you'll be back here in a little over 2 weeks time! That has come about so quickly. Venice seems like it was only a few weeks ago!

Are there any plans for a meet before your adventure begins? I know you were hoping to do something last time we spoke.

Will be great to see you all again, albeit briefly!

Adam

There will be a meet.

I'm not sure when or where.

Our only free time in London is the afternoon of October 9th (Tuesday).

This is not convenient for anyone.

I believe that there is talk of changing this.

If you have Facebook, you might want to watch Pete's page.

That seems to be where information is being dispersed.

Looking forward to seeing you and Kat again!

k5jmh
09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Londonmeet.jpg

me_minnie_me
09-20-2012, 06:44 PM
It's here!

It's here!

Mine came today!!!!! But attached to the box was a UPS invoice for $100.00 in duty taxes. Should I be paying for this?

DisneyKevin
09-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Mine came today!!!!! But attached to the box was a UPS invoice for $100.00 in duty taxes. Should I be paying for this?

I will check with ABD tomorrow and let you know whats going on.

fsufan53
09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I got mine also, we got a blanket and a packet of information. Is that what everyone else got? Getting excited!

whodini
09-21-2012, 09:12 AM
We got ours yesterday, but unfortunately I'm traveling for work. Luckily my wife was kind enough to wait until I get home later today so we can open it together.

Is anyone getting there early interested in going up to the Harry Potter studio tour on Monday morning? They open up at 10am and we'll probably do the 1st or 2nd entry of the day.

LionKingRules84
09-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm a bit worried I didn't get mine yet. :(

DisneyKevin
09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm a bit worried I didn't get mine yet. :(

I wouldn't worry.

It will probably be there soon.

LionKingRules84
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't worry.

It will probably be there soon.

Only reason for the worry is the fact I have it going to a different address than my home and hoping it doesn't try to be delivered tomorrow when no one is at either address(home or other).

LionKingRules84
09-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Well disregard the last post it came just now! To my house though not the other address.

Odd it came right after Ryan came home from work, UPS usually delivers stuff in the morning, Disney Magic at work I guess? ;)

whodini
09-21-2012, 07:16 PM
There will be a meet.

I'm not sure when or where.

Our only free time in London is the afternoon of October 9th (Tuesday).

This is not convenient for anyone.

I believe that there is talk of changing this.

If you have Facebook, you might want to watch Pete's page.

That seems to be where information is being dispersed.

Looking forward to seeing you and Kat again!

Pete posted this earlier today at https://www.facebook.com/pete.werner/posts/3855658549669

Our London DIS meet and live taping will happen on Oct 9th. We'll have cocktails and snacks from 5-7 pm and record the show from 7:00-8:30pm.

k5jmh
09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Glad the Brits have a sense of humor!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1Ie9at8BLpw/UFyZti3VjGI/AAAAAAAA-1A/qtd32yEmo8Y/w497-h373/247749_10151038327047373_1835189415_n.jpeg

sayhello
09-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Glad the Brits have a sense of humor!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1Ie9at8BLpw/UFyZti3VjGI/AAAAAAAA-1A/qtd32yEmo8Y/w497-h373/247749_10151038327047373_1835189415_n.jpeg:lmao:

Sayhello

PumpkinPilot
09-23-2012, 06:33 AM
We got ours yesterday, but unfortunately I'm traveling for work. Luckily my wife was kind enough to wait until I get home later today so we can open it together.

Is anyone getting there early interested in going up to the Harry Potter studio tour on Monday morning? They open up at 10am and we'll probably do the 1st or 2nd entry of the day.

Hi,

Just a word of caution on this. You'll nee to purchase tickets in advance of taking the tour as they don't sell them on-site.

As its a bit of a trek from anywhere you'll be staying, wouldn't want you to have a wasted journey getting there and being turned away for not having tickets - and they will turn you away (my sister works there).

I'm by no means a big Harry Potter fan (don't even know most of their names) but the tour is superbly put together. Expect to see the same level of detail as in WWoHP minus the rides. There's even some butter beer to be had :)

Have fun!

LionKingRules84
09-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I really want to do the Harry Potter tour except it would take up an entire day with travel and the tour it's self. Monday would also be the only day I could do it except not sure if we would get back in time for the ABD welcome dinner which is supposdly at 5. We would have no choice but to do the 10 a.m. tour and there is a bus that you can buy that will take you to the doors for 55 pounds per adult(actually includes tickets to the tour according to the website)that picks you up in Central London.
If everything happens in the way stated on the website we should be getting back around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but if for some reason stuff is backed up or the bus left without us for some reason we wouldn't make it back before 5 for dinner and I just don't want to 'risk' that and getting off to the adventure at a bad start.

I also was hoping to have that day be a 'relaxed' day since we will be nonstop from when the adventure starts and I would like to make sure I'm well rested.

Sunday is out because I want to do the London Walks 'Magical Mystery Tour', which is obviously about the Beatles. That is at 11 a.m. and takes about 3 hours much like Harry Potter and wanted to do Camden at night(or whatever we didn't do Saturday that I wanted to do). Edit: Oh yeah and no tickets are available that day anyway I see, so it's not an option. :P

Correction: according to google maps it takes about 38 minutes to get there by car. Not sure why the bus times have it for almost an hour and a half. If the return trip at 1:30 is only half an hour like google maps states this might be do-able! So long as I could print the tickets at home. I know there is a train however I'd much rather get picked up and dropped off in front of the studio than take the train and wait for the shuttle bus(which I'm finding is about 2 pounds a person to ride to the studio from the train station).

LionKingRules84
09-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Well Ryan and I talked about it all day today and he seems interested in taking the train there which, after he explained it to me, isn't as complicated as I thought and for once showed interest in wanting an excuse to take a ride on the train so I'm buying tickets to this tonight for the 10 a.m. tour. They are still available for Monday if we take that tour we should have more than enough time to get back to the hotel for dinner that evening so long as the trains are running.

I have yet to see one negative review for it so I think I would be stupid not to do it. I'm actually a pretty big Harry Potter fan but not as rabid as some. I've read the books and seen most of the films in theaters. I'm a much bigger fan of the secondary characters than the main ones though but still loved the films but still thought the books were much better.

Edit: Ryan and I have tickets purchased to be picked up when we get there. We will be getting up eating breakfast and taking the bus to the train station and taking a train to watford junction and catching the shuttle from there to the studios. the shuttle isn't free by the way it's about 2 pounds according to the website, and from what I hear so is the regular bus to get to the train station. I weighed the pros and cons and this seems to cool to pass up!

belle41379
09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a very happy ABD trip. Last years was AMAZING, and I'm sure this one will be no different. A few of us from last years trip will be meeting for F&W while you are gone. We will think of you as we stand in "Paris". :lovestruc

whodini
09-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Well Ryan and I talked about it all day today and he seems interested in taking the train there which, after he explained it to me, isn't as complicated as I thought and for once showed interest in wanting an excuse to take a ride on the train so I'm buying tickets to this tonight for the 10 a.m. tour. They are still available for Monday if we take that tour we should have more than enough time to get back to the hotel for dinner that evening so long as the trains are running.

I have yet to see one negative review for it so I think I would be stupid not to do it. I'm actually a pretty big Harry Potter fan but not as rabid as some. I've read the books and seen most of the films in theaters. I'm a much bigger fan of the secondary characters than the main ones though but still loved the films but still thought the books were much better.

Edit: Ryan and I have tickets purchased to be picked up when we get there. We will be getting up eating breakfast and taking the bus to the train station and taking a train to watford junction and catching the shuttle from there to the studios. the shuttle isn't free by the way it's about 2 pounds according to the website, and from what I hear so is the regular bus to get to the train station. I weighed the pros and cons and this seems to cool to pass up!

I bought our tickets for the 10am entrance. Also planning to take the train up there. Looks like the main station that they recommend is only a few blocks up from the hotel - no need to take the bus as far as I can tell. One thing down, a million more to go before next weekend!

Chropistopy
09-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a very happy ABD trip. Last years was AMAZING, and I'm sure this one will be no different. A few of us from last years trip will be meeting for F&W while you are gone. We will think of you as we stand in "Paris". :lovestruc

I'll second that! The trip last year was fantastic. I hope you all have as an amazing of an experience...but how can you not with great locations and great people to travel with? I look forward to hearing about the trip.

LionKingRules84
09-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I bought our tickets for the 10am entrance. Also planning to take the train up there. Looks like the main station that they recommend is only a few blocks up from the hotel - no need to take the bus as far as I can tell. One thing down, a million more to go before next weekend!

I think Ryan suggested the bus because it's about a mile to the train station from the hotel. That's A LOT of walking and standing for one day though, if I decide to do that instead of the bus. I'm going to be exhausted by dinner time. :faint: I guess I'll see how I feel that day, the bus is pretty cheap though.

Sorry for missing chat again tonight, totally forgot it was thursday again! I better remember next week since I leave for london the following day! :yay:

sayhello
09-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a very happy ABD trip. Last years was AMAZING, and I'm sure this one will be no different. A few of us from last years trip will be meeting for F&W while you are gone. We will think of you as we stand in "Paris". :lovestrucI also agree! FABULOUS trip!

I hope all you guys have a MARVELOUS time on this year's trip, but how could you not?

I sure wish I could join you guys at F&W... be sure & have a drink for me!

Sayhello

sayhello
09-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I think Ryan suggested the bus because it's about a mile to the train station from the hotel. That's A LOT of walking and standing for one day though, if I decide to do that instead of the bus. I'm going to be exhausted by dinner time. :faint: You might as well get used to it! :goodvibes

Sayhello

LionKingRules84
09-28-2012, 03:28 PM
You might as well get used to it! :goodvibes

Sayhello

So I hear! ;)

I guess it would be a good dry run for the rest of the trip to see how truly worn out I'll be. At least I'll sleep well for the first day of the adventure, I'm a very light sleeper and I don't often sleep well when excited unless I'm exhausted, vicious cycle I tell you! :p

And oh my 7 days and counting!!!!!! :dance3::banana::banana:

fsufan53
09-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I really want to do the Harry Potter tour except it would take up an entire day with travel and the tour it's self. Monday would also be the only day I could do it except not sure if we would get back in time for the ABD welcome dinner which is supposdly at 5. We would have no choice but to do the 10 a.m. tour and there is a bus that you can buy that will take you to the doors for 55 pounds per adult(actually includes tickets to the tour according to the website)that picks you up in Central London.
If everything happens in the way stated on the website we should be getting back around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but if for some reason stuff is backed up or the bus left without us for some reason we wouldn't make it back before 5 for dinner and I just don't want to 'risk' that and getting off to the adventure at a bad start.

I also was hoping to have that day be a 'relaxed' day since we will be nonstop from when the adventure starts and I would like to make sure I'm well rested.

Sunday is out because I want to do the London Walks 'Magical Mystery Tour', which is obviously about the Beatles. That is at 11 a.m. and takes about 3 hours much like Harry Potter and wanted to do Camden at night(or whatever we didn't do Saturday that I wanted to do). Edit: Oh yeah and no tickets are available that day anyway I see, so it's not an option. :P

Correction: according to google maps it takes about 38 minutes to get there by car. Not sure why the bus times have it for almost an hour and a half. If the return trip at 1:30 is only half an hour like google maps states this might be do-able! So long as I could print the tickets at home. I know there is a train however I'd much rather get picked up and dropped off in front of the studio than take the train and wait for the shuttle bus(which I'm finding is about 2 pounds a person to ride to the studio from the train station).

I was wanting to try and do a Beatles tour Tuesday after lunch if that is possible. Are there any other tours? Would we have enough time?

We would try to do this one, but our flight gets in at 10AM Sunday so I am thinking we will be at the hotel around 1? Gonna try and hit Churchills rooms that afternoon.

sayhello
09-30-2012, 01:06 PM
I was wanting to try and do a Beatles tour Tuesday after lunch if that is possible. Are there any other tours? Would we have enough time?

We would try to do this one, but our flight gets in at 10AM Sunday so I am thinking we will be at the hotel around 1? Gonna try and hit Churchills rooms that afternoon.Do check out London Walks' website: http://www.walks.com/ They have very detailed schedules there.

http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Home/London_Walks_by_Date/default.aspx

I did a Harry Potter tour with them, and it was Fabulous! I wish I'd scheduled several more tours with them.

Sayhello

ETA: Here's the schedule for Tuesday, October 9, 2012:

Tuesday, October 9
9:15am STONEHENGE & SALISBURY The Great Escape!
10:30am BEHIND CLOSED DOORS IN THE WEST END
10:30am SECRETS & SPLENDOURS OF ST. PAUL'S
10:45am SECRET LONDON
11:20am THE BEATLES 'IN MY LIFE' WALK
2:00pm BEHIND CLOSED DOORS IN THE CITY
2:00pm OLD WESTMINSTER 1,000 Years of History
2:00pm SOMEWHERE ELSE' LONDON
2:15pm PAST THE PALACE Hidden Places & Hidden History
2:15pm THE OLYMPICS WALK
2:30pm LITERARY BLOOMSBURY & THE OLD MUSEUM QUARTER
6:15pm BRUNEL'S THAMES TUNNEL
7:00pm THE HIDDEN PUBS OF OLD LONDON TOWN
7:30pm GHOSTS OF THE OLD CITY
7:30pm THE JACK THE RIPPER TOUR

LionKingRules84
09-30-2012, 02:07 PM
'Sayhello' beat me but yes check the London Walks website. They have two Beatles Tours and I got lucky with 'The Magical Mystery' Tour being on Sunday and getting there Saturday. Both tours go to Abbey Road but there is nothing stopping you from going to Abbey Road yourself if you can't do a walk. I love that Abbey Road studios has a 24 hour web cam on the crossing!

Abbey Road Crossing webcam (http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing) Really fun to watch if you're bored I say look for us around noon on Sunday london time I might be there. ;)

If I wasn't able to make the walk I would have just looked up the spots myself and went, I know enough about the Beatles without doing the Walk but I thought this would be more fun and I'd get to meet other Beatles nuts in the process. That's the one thing about traveling I like is meeting new people if I can.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the Museums I wanted to do since I'm doing Harry Potter on Monday now but I'll just have to try and see what kind of time I have when I get there. Much like here the Museums aren't open past 5 or 6 in the evening. I'll have to save shopping for the evenings and tourist stuff during the day if I can. So much I want to do so little time. :crazy2:

fsufan53
10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I found one that starts at 2! What time will we get out of Harrods and will we have neough time to make it?

http://www.beatles-beatles-beatles.com/tour1.html

Also, how long does it take to get through customs? I am assuming we will have to go through Sunday morning when we get to London, when we arrive at Paris, and when we come back to the US. We are connecting in Toronto on the way back, but I dont think we have to go through there also, or do we?

Thanks!

k5jmh
10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
If anyone is headed back to London after the adventure...

Source URL: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disneys-fantasia-footage-enjoy-live-orchestra-london-375725

Disney's 'Fantasia' Footage to Get Live London Philharmonic Orchestra Accompaniment

9:15 AM PDT 10/2/2012 by Stuart Kemp
[2]
Walt Disney
Footage from Walt Disney’s original "Fantasia" and Disney’s "Fantasia 2000" will be projected in HD at the Royal Albert Hall event in London.

LONDON -- The London Philharmonic Orchestra is to showcase a selection of music from Walt Disney’s original Fantasia and Disney’s Fantasia 2000 at the Royal Albert Hall complete with extracts from the films in high definition.

The one off concert, billed as a U.K. premiere of the animation footage and symphonic music is scheduled for Oct. 21.

The show will include a selection of the repertoire from the original 1940 version of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 including Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker Suite and Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.

The music will be performed live while iconic moments from Disney’s footage -- including Mickey Mouse as he dabbles in magic in Dukas’ The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and the mythical unicorns and winged horses that accompany Beethoven’s "Pastoral" Symphony -- are shown on the big screen.

Royal Albert Hall COO Jasper Hope said: "Over 70 years since its original release, Disney’s stunning visuals and Stokowski’s timeless soundtrack continue to be treasured by audiences of all ages. These high-definition screenings, accompanied by the live performance of some of the most memorable classical music ever composed, will bring this unforgettable experience to an entirely new generation.”

Disney's Jonathan Heely, executive producer, has been connected with Fantasia since preparing music for the digital soundtrack recording in 1982.

"I am so pleased that new technology, film restoration, and support of Disney Animation make it possible for orchestras to recreate Fantasia’s magic in the concert hall."

Disney’s Fantasia is the latest film to be presented with a live orchestra as part of a cinematic experience at the Royal Albert Hall.

It follows the successful sold out performances of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Matrix and will follow the European premiere of the 50th Anniversary of West Side Story in June.

SingingMom
10-02-2012, 09:30 PM
If anyone is headed back to London after the adventure...

That sounds so neat!

cloves
10-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Awesome!

LionKingRules84
10-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Just got back to the states yesterday after a long day hopping planes and airports. Not happy to come home and notice a hurricane coming right for us! That and I need to go food shopping because I have no food in the house having been away for almost 3 weeks plus so now I get to shop with all of the people going crazy over this storm.

Did want to pop in and say thanks to everyone for this absolutely amazing trip of a life time! I missed everyone after the end of the ABD adventure. The second half of my vacation was just as awesome but it was certainly missing something the previous part had, I REALLY missed the adventure guides, Adam and Landon. The adventure guides on the ABD trips are worth the price and more, truly amazing trip, not enough adjectives in the english language to describe it!

I plan on a trip report at some point but it will be LONG and probably take months. We took(well actually my husband did) a ton of pictures and that will probably be what holds back the reports since I want to post pictures with it but I obviously have to pick and choose, we took to many to share.

Thanks again to both Dreams Unlimited Travel, and Adventures by Disney for this trip, truly Magical!!! :)

LionKingRules84
10-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Wanted to know if the pictures the guides took would be made available to us? Just curious since I remember they took quite a bit of pictures and there were quite a few my husband wasn't able to get.

sayhello
10-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Wanted to know if the pictures the guides took would be made available to us? Just curious since I remember they took quite a bit of pictures and there were quite a few my husband wasn't able to get.Yes, you should get a CD of the Guides' pics not *too* long after your trip.

Sayhello

WebmasterJohn
11-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey Gang

Not sure if guys knew this or not but I've blogging about the food we had our trip. I just finished up the series and posted the last entry today.

If you're interested in reading some and perhaps re-living moments of our trip here are the links:

Foodie Travels  London and Paris Live!!! (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-live/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris Live  The Ship Tavern (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-live-the-ship-tavern/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Adventures by Disney Welcome Dinner!!! (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-adventures-by-disney-welcome-dinner/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  The Food Halls at Harrods!! (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-the-food-halls-at-harrods/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Breakfast at the Chauncery Court London (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-breakfast-at-the-chauncery-court-london/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Harrods Lunch Buffet (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-harrods-lunch-buffet/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Hush Restaurant, London (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-hush-restaurant-london/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Foxhills Resort (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-tales-london-and-paris-foxhills-resort/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Welcome Dinner in Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-welcome-dinner-in-paris/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Fauchon (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-fauchon/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  La Bucherie Cafe, Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-la-bucherie-cafe-paris/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Vesuvio, Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-vesuvio-paris/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Laduree (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-laduree/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Disneyland Paris, Restaurant des Stars (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-disneyland-paris-restaurant-des-stars/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  California Grill, Disneyland Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-california-grill-disneyland-paris/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Walts Restaurant, Disneyland Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-walts-restaurant-disneyland-paris/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Cafe Fantasia, Disneyland Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-cafe-fantasia-disneyland-paris/)
Foodie Travels  London and Paris  Disneyland Paris Farewell Dinner (http://foodietales.com/2012/11/foodie-tales-london-and-paris-disneyland-paris-farewell-dinner/)

Thanks
John

DisneyKevin
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
If you are upset that this thread has been "unstuck"...blame AndyPok1.

He can be found at the Croissant Barricades.

LionKingRules84
11-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Lovely how I mention the photo cd and get it the next day! :)

Thanks for the links John, between that and the photo cd I'll enjoy spending the day reliving the adventure! popcorn::

me_minnie_me
11-02-2012, 12:28 PM

So does that mean my CD is stuck at Canadian customs and getting dinged with a duty levee? :headache: Just kidding - I hope it gets here soon.

Karen

whodini
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Quick - mention that check for a million dollars that you're expecting! Maybe the same magic will work.

k5jmh
11-02-2012, 06:58 PM
If you are upset that this thread has been "unstuck"...blame AndyPok1.

He can be found at the Croissant Barricades.

And if you need to know what Andy looks like, look for the guy who is modeling while he eats...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561204_3447197814824_1943389844_n.jpg

(We get a ton mileage out of this picture!!). :rotfl2:

SingingMom
11-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Hey Gang

Not sure if guys knew this or not but I've blogging about the food we had our trip. I just finished up the series and posted the last entry today.

If you're interested in reading some and perhaps re-living moments of our trip here are the links:

Foodie Travels London and Paris Live!!! (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-live/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Live The Ship Tavern (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-live-the-ship-tavern/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Adventures by Disney Welcome Dinner!!! (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-adventures-by-disney-welcome-dinner/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris The Food Halls at Harrods!! (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-the-food-halls-at-harrods/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Breakfast at the Chauncery Court London (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-breakfast-at-the-chauncery-court-london/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Harrods Lunch Buffet (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-harrods-lunch-buffet/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Hush Restaurant, London (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-hush-restaurant-london/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Foxhills Resort (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-tales-london-and-paris-foxhills-resort/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Welcome Dinner in Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-welcome-dinner-in-paris/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Fauchon (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-fauchon/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris La Bucherie Cafe, Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-la-bucherie-cafe-paris/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Vesuvio, Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-vesuvio-paris/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Laduree (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-laduree/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Disneyland Paris, Restaurant des Stars (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-disneyland-paris-restaurant-des-stars/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris California Grill, Disneyland Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-california-grill-disneyland-paris/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Walts Restaurant, Disneyland Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-walts-restaurant-disneyland-paris/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Cafe Fantasia, Disneyland Paris (http://foodietales.com/2012/10/foodie-travels-london-and-paris-cafe-fantasia-disneyland-paris/)
Foodie Travels London and Paris Disneyland Paris Farewell Dinner (http://foodietales.com/2012/11/foodie-tales-london-and-paris-disneyland-paris-farewell-dinner/)

Thanks
John

Oh I can't wait to read your reports!!! We are on Day 8 of no power, no hot water, no heat, detours, and gas lines, courtesy of Hurricane Sandy! :(
I am sitting at Starbucks trying to get warm and charging the iPad. I am 8 days behind on the DIS. Totally unexceptable!
As we took the fabulous trip this past May, I really am looking forward to reading these when the power returns!!!

fsufan53
11-06-2012, 08:37 PM
We got our pictures in last week and have been enjoying them. Some of these photos of Adam and I are ridiculous! We miss all of you guys and seem to find a way to bring up our Europe trip at lease once a day!

Kevin, thanks again for the afro whig, it was a huge hit on Halloween! Get William to show you my FB shot.

John I will most def check out those blogs. Are you guys going to do a podcast review of the trip? I would be interested to see all of your takeaways. If not, no big deal. I know we had a blast!

Thanks to The DIS squad for putting together a trip that is full of lifelong memories!

Eric and Amanda Parks

NejTheLion
11-06-2012, 11:22 PM
We got our pictures in last week and have been enjoying them. Some of these photos of Adam and I are ridiculous! We miss all of you guys and seem to find a way to bring up our Europe trip at lease once a day!

Kevin, thanks again for the afro whig, it was a huge hit on Halloween! Get William to show you my FB shot.

John I will most def check out those blogs. Are you guys going to do a podcast review of the trip? I would be interested to see all of your takeaways. If not, no big deal. I know we had a blast!

Thanks to The DIS squad for putting together a trip that is full of lifelong memories!

Eric and Amanda Parks

You and Adam were hilarious. I love the last couple on the CD, looking back down Main Street toward the castle, holding hands :hug:

LionKingRules84
11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Started doing a Trip Report on Shutterfly:

http://ryanangelaenglandandparistrip.shutterfly.com/

Will update with pictures and other. So far nothing of the adventure yet just my pre-days so far.

garneska
11-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Just kidding, while I am just a 2 hour plane ride away, I had to work last weekend and will be visiting a friend (showing him all my pics) this weekend. Just wanted to say I can't wait to see the CD. I have looked at the pics on photo pass.

I have another trip to Berlin planned but am going to spend that weekend going to the Christmas Markets. Hoping I won't be back here for work again but if so I might have to go to DLP.

Hope everyone is doing well and we meet again in WDW.

me_minnie_me
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
YEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :dance3: :yay:
My DVD finally decided to clear Canadian Customs and was delivered last night. I haven't finish looking through the 1500+ photos but will try to go through them all this weekend. Quick question on the slide show. What happened to days 8 & 9? It just cuts off after days 7 @ the Louvre. Other than that, I think it time for another Disney vacation.

Miss you all a bunch and hope to see y'all in the future eh!