PDA

View Full Version : Bringing pets

Cherbear013
01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
We will be heading to DL in a few weeks as DH has a trade show there. We are driving and bringing our 2 dogs. Is there a kennel/daycare/dog park around that we can bring them to? We will be there for a week, but only doing the parks for two days. I can leave them in the car for a little bit but don't want them holed up in a hotel room or car all week. TIA!!

sonnyjane
01-05-2012, 10:47 PM
We will be heading to DL in a few weeks as DH has a trade show there. We are driving and bringing our 2 dogs. Is there a kennel/daycare/dog park around that we can bring them to? We will be there for a week, but only doing the parks for two days. I can leave them in the car for a little bit but don't want them holed up in a hotel room or car all week. TIA!!

Hmm well, don't leave them in the car. It's very dangerous, not to mention illegal here in California and if someone sees them in your car and reports it, they will break your windows, remove the pets from your care, and issue a citation.

Disneyland offers kennel services, but they will not walk your pet to use the restroom, so you'll have to stop by every few hours to take them out. There are pet friendly hotels, but many require that they be kenneled if you leave them unattended. I'm guessing you don't have an alternative at home?

Cherbear013
01-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know it was illegal in CA to leave them in the car. We are staying at Motel 6 since they accept pets.

We don't really have anyone here to watch the dogs besides our vet - and that would add a few hundred dollars on to our trip.

How much does the kennel charge to watch the dogs?

sonnyjane
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Here's info on the Kennel Club: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan/guest-services/kennel/

ssuriano
01-06-2012, 01:49 AM
They take great care of your four legged friends at the Kennel Club. I see and hear them backstage all the time.

Disney Dreams
01-06-2012, 04:54 AM
They take great care of your four legged friends at the Kennel Club. I see and hear them backstage all the time.

Just to clarify, they don't actually "take care" of your dog at all. They are very clear that they do not handle or walk any dogs at all. They do keep them in safe enclosures and provide a place to leave your 4-legged loved ones while playing at he park, but you need to come out every few hours to handle their needs.

OP - If you choose to go this route, be sure to triple check the list of documents needed before leaving home. They will not take a dog unless you have every single one listed.

- Dreams

Butterfly123
01-06-2012, 10:51 AM
We kennel our dog with our vet at home. They take great care of him, and we don't have to worry. When you think about it, Disneyland charges $20 per day per pet for two days, making it $80. I don't know what your vet charges, but it might be worth it to kennel them at home if it makes the vacation more stressful. It would for me, but I tend to worry about things! Good luck with your plans, and have a great trip!

mybestieismickey
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Having kenneled our dog at home and at Disneyland, I must say that I much prefer leaving her at home. It's much less stressful on both her and us. In the past we have left her at a kennel that charges more than $10/night over our new place. It's not as fancy, but they treat the dogs just as well and at only $23/night it's much more doable. Our dog did ok at the kennel, but it did really stress her out to have to walk through security and across the plaza with all the unfamiliar and excited people. Sensory overload I suppose. She hasn't been back since the re-model, but I'm sure it's still great.

Also, the Disneyland Kennel Club is only designed for park guests (or at least it was). So, for the days that you are not in the park you will probably need to find something else. Good luck with this. It's always a bit of a challenge travelling with our furry friends...