PDA

View Full Version : Resolution In Action (Hopefully, It Keeps the Space)

katoot
01-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Hey Dads!

Since my overall New Year's Resolution was to get healthier (basically start exercising, stop smoking, and try to run a marathon by the end of the year). I just discovered the WISH part of the boards, and I know that all of us frequent that board more than this one. :lmao: But, I decided to do a sort of journal over here, rather than there. Mostly because I figured I would get more moral support on the boards where people know me.

Anyways, here's the info.

Now, I'm not really overweight or anything (just weighed in at 202lbs, my height is about 6'3"), but I can still remember back when I was about 175-185. That's around where I'd like to be. I also smoke about a pack a day (more if I'm drinking).

My Goals:
I'd like to lose about 25lbs, and hopefully be done with smoking, by April 7th. I've chosen this date due to this: Sorry, it's in Korean. (http://www.cherrymarathon.com/) It's the day of a marathon in the city next door. I want to participate in the 10k on that day. :scared1:

I have to meet up with DW right now, so I'll try to continue this when I get back.

10dedfish
01-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Good luck Katoot! I have also started exercising, as they just opened a YMCA less than 2 miles from my house. Dont really have an excuse now not to start. I would recommend you check out the couch to 5k or 10k programs on coolrunning.com . Im on week 2, just finished day 1 and I can feel it in my legs.

matt

AJRitz
01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I need to join you on getting back to my workouts. I was doing really well, until an injury threw me off, and I didn't get back on it.

I'm a couple of steps ahead of you on the quitting smoking thing. I smoked a pack/day + for about 23 years. I quit cold turkey on February 14, 2010, so I'm approaching two years smoke-free.

katoot
01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Good luck Katoot! I have also started exercising, as they just opened a YMCA less than 2 miles from my house. Dont really have an excuse now not to start. I would recommend you check out the couch to 5k or 10k programs on coolrunning.com . Im on week 2, just finished day 1 and I can feel it in my legs.

matt

Thanks, Matt! Yeah, I've been looking at the Couch to 5k, and I think that's the plan I'm going to use.

Back to where I left off. Today was the day I started. Just to see where I stood, I (perhaps foolishly) decided to see how long it would take me to do a 5k. Keep in mind, the last time I went for a run was about two years ago, and before that...maybe five? Needless to say, I don't exercise much.

I planned out a course using walkjogrun.com and found an easy landmark to do 2.5k run to and from. I took about a five minute brisk walk, crossed the street, and went on my way.

Quick side note, my best ever 1mile time was about 7 minutes, back in elementary school.

I did my best to run most of the way to my turning point. But, once I got there, I decided to just briskly walk the way back (mostly due to fatigue, but also to see how long it would take just to walk).

Well, I kinda wished I didn't keep track of how fast I walked back. In total, the 5k took about 45 minutes, which I think isn't too bad for a smoker who never exercises. However, it took me 20 minutes to get to my halfway point (running and walking), and 25 minutes to get back (only walking...:sad2:) I got a lot of work to do.

Things I learned from this first day.

I do not have the right shoes for running. I have a pair of fairly new Nike hightops, and that's about it. Also, it's very difficult to find shoes my size in America, let alone Korea (I wear size 15, generally). I may have to hold off on my outdoor running until we get a chance to head to Busan in about a week and a half.

I can already see the benefits of running to help me quit smoking. I wasn't huffing and puffing after running, but I also wasn't craving a smoke (I normally smoke about once every two or three hours at work, but about once an hour at home). In fact, in the 6 hours I've been home from work, I've only had 4 smokes. That includes three in the past hour (habit of smoking right after eating, and walking home from the restaurant). My wife is also a smoker, but doesn't plan on quitting quite yet, so that may be a bit of a hinderance. However, she generally goes through a pack once every two days.

I plan on running every other day (once I get better shoes). On the days I don't run, I'll use WiiFit and/or EA Sports Active for my workouts.

I guess that's it for now. I thought I had at least one or two more points to mentions, but they escape me right now.

I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions, inquiries, facts, rumors, harrassment, encouragement, etc.

This is essentially my first time attempting something like this with an actual set date as a goal.

FreezinRafiki
01-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Since my overall New Year's Resolution was to get healthier (basically start exercising, stop smoking, and try to run a marathon by the end of the year). I just discovered the WISH part of the boards, and I know that all of us frequent that board more than this one. :lmao: But, I decided to do a sort of journal over here, rather than there. Mostly because I figured I would get more moral support on the boards where people know me.

Great idea, Casey! A few years ago I lost 46 pounds. I've slowly gained 20 of it back by getting lazy and not watching what I ate nearly as closely. My first goal is to get back to where I had been - and even 200 lbs (I'm 5'10", so I'll set a new goal when I reach that.) I did the couch to 5k program last summer and did a 5k run in September. It felt really good to run the entire thing and finish. (Emotionally good, that it. Physically I wanted to die. But that's besides the point.)
So I'll be here with you, trying to document and hold myself accountable.

Pace yourself on the running - stick to one of those programs. They're designed so you don't start too fast and burn yourself out.

I need to join you on getting back to my workouts. I was doing really well, until an injury threw me off, and I didn't get back on it.

I'm a couple of steps ahead of you on the quitting smoking thing. I smoked a pack/day + for about 23 years. I quit cold turkey on February 14, 2010, so I'm approaching two years smoke-free.
Congratulations Aaron! I've never been a smoker, but from the people I've talked to, it's a very hard thing to quit. Keep up the good work!

Emma's Dad
01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey Dads!

Anyways, here's the info.

Now, I'm not really overweight or anything (just weighed in at 202lbs, my height is about 6'3"), but I can still remember back when I was about 175-185. That's around where I'd like to be. I also smoke about a pack a day (more if I'm drinking).

My Goals:
I'd like to lose about 25lbs, and hopefully be done with smoking, by April 7th. I've chosen this date due to this: Sorry, it's in Korean. (http://www.cherrymarathon.com/) It's the day of a marathon in the city next door. I want to participate in the 10k on that day. :scared1:

I have to meet up with DW right now, so I'll try to continue this when I get back.

I hear ya! According to BMI I am considered overweight at 6'2" and 200. I remember coming out of boot camp weighing in at 165 lbs! I gave P90X a try last year and fell out of the routine too easily. Did feel better and started losing weight the 2 months I did it!

Keep this in mind... you're body changes after you stop smoking. You might have a more difficult time getting the weight off initially.

Your story sounds like mine. Smoked just as much for about 20 years. Will be smoke free for 4 years in March! :cool1: The only thing that worked was quitting cold turkey and keep telling myself I was no longer a smoker. Congrats on almost 2 years smoke free!!! :thumbsup2

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
This is a good idea. There was a DisDads Wish thread for a while, but we all got a might lazy about it after a while. Seeing it here may be a good motivator.

katoot
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Congrats! I'm always jealous of people who have been able to quit cold turkey. I just can't get a handle on those cravings. I suppose I'm fortunate, however, in that I've only been smoking for about six years (I started late, I guess, not till I was 23 or 24...not sure why I started, except that I was a university student in Japan, where cigs are readily available and pretty cheap...about $3 a pack)...

I'm sure (well, at least I'd like to think so) that it would be easier to quit if I were still in America, but smokes are even cheaper in Korea than Japan (less than $2.50 a pack). I do smoke pretty much the equivalent of ultra lights (1mg tar, .1mg nicotine), but that doesn't seem to help cravings when I'm without...

Goofy + 3
01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Good luck Katoot!

Pace yourself on the running - stick to one of those programs. They're designed so you don't start too fast and burn yourself out.

Good point. Burn out isn't the only worry- too much too soon can lead to injury. I dealt with that a little last year with P90X
I hear ya! According to BMI I am considered overweight at 6'2" and 200.

That's crazy! Every time we have a health fair at work, they tell me I am borderline obese. I'm 6' and 175 lbs.

katoot
01-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the words of encouragement! And it'd be great if I could help motivate others!

Keep this in mind... you're body changes after you stop smoking. You might have a more difficult time getting the weight off initially.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. In fact, I know of a doctor that my mom used to work with. When he quit smoking, he took up running. However, he started running too much and HIS doctor told him to stop running.

Your story sounds like mine. Smoked just as much for about 20 years. Will be smoke free for 4 years in March! :cool1: The only thing that worked was quitting cold turkey and keep telling myself I was no longer a smoker. Congrats on almost 2 years smoke free!!! :thumbsup2

Great job on 4 years smoke free! :thumbsup2

katoot
01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
That's crazy! Every time we have a health fair at work, they tell me I am borderline obese. I'm 6' and 175 lbs.

But isn't there a flaw in the BMI index where it doesn't take into account muscle weight vs. fat weight? I know that's the case with WiiFit...

Oh, another side note. DW doesn't think I can do this. She basically said that because she's seen how lazy I usually am (which, admittedly, I am quite lazy), that I will only last three days. I told her that I will at least see this through till April. She said, if I don't....she'll kill me...:scared1: (those were her exact words, but I'm 99% positive that if I do happen to fall off the wagon, it won't happen...however, she can be pretty scary sometimes, so that 1% is always there...taunting me...)

theduck619
01-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Congrats on the achievement Aaron :thumbsup2

theduck619
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
My goal is to get back in good enough to run a marathon. I ran the mini here in Indy before so I know what some of the training is like. I hate those weight/height charts because they alway list me as obese, but never take into account my body type.

I am overweight, but not obese...yet. My docotr even told me that those ideal weight charts will not work for me because of my body type.

The running programs are great because they map everything out for you. Good luck everyone. I hope we can continue to encourage each other as we work towards these goals!

Captain_Oblivious
01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Good luck Casey! It's easy to be lazy, and most of us tend to fall off the wagon regarding exercise. Or at least, I do. Quite a bit. I'm not sure I've ever been on the wagon, actually. What's it look like?

FreezinRafiki
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
She said, if I don't....she'll kill me...
Did she say it in Korean? Maybe you missed something in the translation? :confused3

Goofy + 3
01-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Good luck Casey! It's easy to be lazy, and most of us tend to fall off the wagon regarding exercise. Or at least, I do. Quite a bit. I'm not sure I've ever been on the wagon, actually. What's it look like?

You wouldn't like it. There are vegetables involved.

IamTrike
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Matt! Yeah, I've been looking at the Couch to 5k, and I think that's the plan I'm going to use.

Back to where I left off. Today was the day I started. Just to see where I stood, I (perhaps foolishly) decided to see how long it would take me to do a 5k. Keep in mind, the last time I went for a run was about two years ago, and before that...maybe five? Needless to say, I don't exercise much.

I planned out a course using walkjogrun.com and found an easy landmark to do 2.5k run to and from. I took about a five minute brisk walk, crossed the street, and went on my way.

Quick side note, my best ever 1mile time was about 7 minutes, back in elementary school.

I did my best to run most of the way to my turning point. But, once I got there, I decided to just briskly walk the way back (mostly due to fatigue, but also to see how long it would take just to walk).

Well, I kinda wished I didn't keep track of how fast I walked back. In total, the 5k took about 45 minutes, which I think isn't too bad for a smoker who never exercises. However, it took me 20 minutes to get to my halfway point (running and walking), and 25 minutes to get back (only walking...:sad2:) I got a lot of work to do.

Things I learned from this first day.

I do not have the right shoes for running. I have a pair of fairly new Nike hightops, and that's about it. Also, it's very difficult to find shoes my size in America, let alone Korea (I wear size 15, generally). I may have to hold off on my outdoor running until we get a chance to head to Busan in about a week and a half.

I can already see the benefits of running to help me quit smoking. I wasn't huffing and puffing after running, but I also wasn't craving a smoke (I normally smoke about once every two or three hours at work, but about once an hour at home). In fact, in the 6 hours I've been home from work, I've only had 4 smokes. That includes three in the past hour (habit of smoking right after eating, and walking home from the restaurant). My wife is also a smoker, but doesn't plan on quitting quite yet, so that may be a bit of a hinderance. However, she generally goes through a pack once every two days.

I plan on running every other day (once I get better shoes). On the days I don't run, I'll use WiiFit and/or EA Sports Active for my workouts.

I guess that's it for now. I thought I had at least one or two more points to mentions, but they escape me right now.

I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions, inquiries, facts, rumors, harrassment, encouragement, etc.

This is essentially my first time attempting something like this with an actual set date as a goal.

Congratulations on starting. Most couch to 5k training programs work to having you run the whole time. Once you complete that program I would start with a Galloway program that includes walk/run intervals. I think its a little easier on your body and you'll find it's easier to cover the milage (kilometerage.)

If you are having a hard time finding shoes I'd suggest Runningwarehouse.com. Shipping may be a bit steep to Korea but their prices in general are very low for good shoes. Additionally the is a disboards code "WISHRACED" that gets you an additional 15% of everything.

But isn't there a flaw in the BMI index where it doesn't take into account muscle weight vs. fat weight? I know that's the case with WiiFit...

Oh, another side note. DW doesn't think I can do this. She basically said that because she's seen how lazy I usually am (which, admittedly, I am quite lazy), that I will only last three days. I told her that I will at least see this through till April. She said, if I don't....she'll kill me...:scared1: (those were her exact words, but I'm 99% positive that if I do happen to fall off the wagon, it won't happen...however, she can be pretty scary sometimes, so that 1% is always there...taunting me...)

I think there is a flaw in most BMI measurements particularly around muscle.

Potential death is a good motivator

My goal is to get back in good enough to run a marathon. I ran the mini here in Indy before so I know what some of the training is like. I hate those weight/height charts because they alway list me as obese, but never take into account my body type.

I am overweight, but not obese...yet. My docotr even told me that those ideal weight charts will not work for me because of my body type.

The running programs are great because they map everything out for you. Good luck everyone. I hope we can continue to encourage each other as we work towards these goals!

20th anniversary of the WDW Marathon is in 12 months. Its a really cool medal and would be an awesome first marathon.

theduck619
01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Congratulations on starting. Most couch to 5k training programs work to having you run the whole time. Once you complete that program I would start with a Galloway program that includes walk/run intervals. I think its a little easier on your body and you'll find it's easier to cover the milage (kilometerage.)

If you are having a hard time finding shoes I'd suggest Runningwarehouse.com. Shipping may be a bit steep to Korea but their prices in general are very low for good shoes. Additionally the is a disboards code "WISHRACED" that gets you an additional 15% of everything.

I think there is a flaw in most BMI measurements particularly around muscle.

Potential death is a good motivator

20th anniversary of the WDW Marathon is in 12 months. Its a really cool medal and would be an awesome first marathon.

That's what I was thinking, but if the convention is a different date I am not sure which one to do. I have thought about doing a local one first in case of injury (this happened before and I used as an excuse o get lazy).

IamTrike
01-03-2012, 11:35 AM
That's what I was thinking, but if the convention is a different date I am not sure which one to do. I have thought about doing a local one first in case of injury (this happened before and I used as an excuse o get lazy).

That would be a tough choice. Marathon or DDC. If I have to pick between the two I'll probably pick the marathon. (If it goes really bad this year I'll want to redeem myself and if I do well, then I'll want a repeat experience.)
I think the big thing to prevent injury is to pace yourself training. I know in the past I am most prone to injury when I am trying to run too fast.

Captain_Oblivious
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM

*shudder*

IamTrike
01-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Wait..who doesn't like Pizza?

theduck619
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
That would be a tough choice. Marathon or DDC. If I have to pick between the two I'll probably pick the marathon. (If it goes really bad this year I'll want to redeem myself and if I do well, then I'll want a repeat experience.)
I think the big thing to prevent injury is to pace yourself training. I know in the past I am most prone to injury when I am trying to run too fast.

Training went well. I stepped off a curb during a marathon (mile 16) and tore a hip flexor (the one in the back by your bum). The rehab was long because it is just a pain.

I can't run too far on actual roads yet, but my mileage on the treadmill is up with no pain. I think if I keep my impact down during training I should be able to withstand the race impact.

I do run/walk training like you mentioned before and it does keep the pain and soreness way down.

lnevo
01-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I've been thinking about starting a couch 2 5k program this year. I have about 40-50 pounds I should lose overall though. I am *tentatively* signed up for a Spartan 5k race this June. I'm not expecting to performance as much as I plan on having fun doing it.

I have lots of knee/back/neck problems which is my main cause for procrastination. Figured talking about it would help in the motivational aspects.

Otherwise it's pretty cold outside...so contemplating waiting till spring :)

On a serious note. I've been reading the WISH board a little. DW and I are huge Biggest Loser fans, and this season's theme is "No Excuses" which is a shame because I have so many. But the important thing is that the knee, neck, back are all impacted by the excess weight so really, I should get started.

SAHDad
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Yes, BMI can be really, really off, and is generally so in athletes. Per BMI, I am within 4 or 5 pounds of being "overweight" - at 5' 10" (and a bit, but not enough to round up to 5'11"), and 168 or so. I'm still skinny enough that you can see my ribs pretty easily - but I run, every day, and have a resting heart rate that is dropping down toward the 40s again.

OP - good luck with your program! I recommend the Couch to 5k/10k programs - they are designed so that you do not do too much, too fast and get hurt. If you need to repeat a week, that's fine too.

Maybe we should have a WISH-style thread here.

katoot
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
:surfweb: Morning, everyone. Feeling a little sore today in the legs, but overall, not too bad.

Question. Would it be better to work out in the morning, before work, or in the evening? I was originally planning on waking up an hour early and work out then. However, so far that plan hasn't been working out...

IamTrike
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
:surfweb: Morning, everyone. Feeling a little sore today in the legs, but overall, not too bad.

Question. Would it be better to work out in the morning, before work, or in the evening? I was originally planning on waking up an hour early and work out then. However, so far that plan hasn't been working out...

I know a lot of trainers recommend working out in the morning. I am not sure if there are specific metabolic advantages to that. Working out can suppress the appetite, but I've found that suppression doesn't last too long. Many people fall into a trap of eating more because they are working out. People tend to over-estimate the calories they are burning and underestimate the calories they are eating.

Getting back to your question, the best time to work out, is when you will actually do it. If you aren't a morning person go after work or at lunch if you can.

katoot
01-04-2012, 01:32 AM
I know a lot of trainers recommend working out in the morning. I am not sure if there are specific metabolic advantages to that. Working out can suppress the appetite, but I've found that suppression doesn't last too long. Many people fall into a trap of eating more because they are working out. People tend to over-estimate the calories they are burning and underestimate the calories they are eating.

Getting back to your question, the best time to work out, is when you will actually do it. If you aren't a morning person go after work or at lunch if you can.

I am generally a night owl. However, I figured if I do my exercising in the morning, that could help me wake up and what not. Right now, it's just a matter of waking up in time. I didn't the past to days due to not being able to sleep on Monday night, and having to call loan offices in America last night (15-hour time differences can be quite inconvenient to a sleep schedule).

katoot
01-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Since I overslept this morning (alarm set for 7, got up at 7:15, but wanted to get up at 7 to workout), I did 30 minutes tonight after work using WiiFit Plus. Started and finished it with a short run (my arms got more of a workout on that, but that's alright...my thighs are still quite sore from yesterday's "run"). Did a few balance, aerobic, and strength challenges between runs.

Going to try to wake up at 6 tomorrow. If it's not too cold, I'll try for Day 1 of Couch to 5k outside. If it's too cold, I'll probably do EA Sports Active on the Wii.

On the smoking front, it's currently 9:22pm and I've only had 8 cigarettes today...pretty damn good considering I'm usually close to finishing of a full pack most days at this time. The longest time between cigarettes was 6 1/2 hours (10-4:30). I'm thinking about not bringing any smokes to work with me tomorrow. We'll see if I remember to do so.

Another incentive to quit smoking: Had lunch with the big boss and about 15 other employees (who are all smokers). He told his higher ups that our office is now 100% non-smoking. We're supposed to take urine tests in about two weeks. He told us to not make him a liar. :scared1: (I'm even more worried considering I read online that it can take anywhere from three days to multiple weeks for nicotine to completely get out of the system).

Quite exhausted now, going to try to get to bed a little early tonight.

lnevo
01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
It so hard to realize how addictive Nicotene is until you try and quit. I did the patch about 7 years ago. I was amazed even after a few weeks with no problem after I forgot the patch a few times how strong the addiction is...

On a motivational front, I've always had a very hard time waking up early, right now I wake up at 7 and catch a 7:50 train to work. I get to bed around 11 and almost get 8 hours of sleep right now.

My question for those who are good at getting up early to workout is how you manage that? I've always been a night owl, but at night, I'm way too tired to do anything, especially head out to the gym.

I do wake up occasionally at 5 or so for an early shift at work and am thinking to just make this a regular wake up time, but that just seems to ridiculous to the other part of my brain that wants to sleep.

Any tips or suggestions that have gone through making early wakeups and workouts a priority?

theduck619
01-04-2012, 10:33 AM
It so hard to realize how addictive Nicotene is until you try and quit. I did the patch about 7 years ago. I was amazed even after a few weeks with no problem after I forgot the patch a few times how strong the addiction is...

On a motivational front, I've always had a very hard time waking up early, right now I wake up at 7 and catch a 7:50 train to work. I get to bed around 11 and almost get 8 hours of sleep right now.

My question for those who are good at getting up early to workout is how you manage that? I've always been a night owl, but at night, I'm way too tired to do anything, especially head out to the gym.

I do wake up occasionally at 5 or so for an early shift at work and am thinking to just make this a regular wake up time, but that just seems to ridiculous to the other part of my brain that wants to sleep.

Any tips or suggestions that have gone through making early wakeups and workouts a priority?

If I do not work out early then I would have to do it during "family" time. I am an early riser but it is hard for to get motivated to wrok out that early. I set everything out the night before and when I get up, I get dressed and have a cup of coffee. This at least wakes me up enough so I can get to the gym.

When I am finished I feel good knowing that I don't have to think about working out for the rest of the day.

Goofy + 3
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
When I am finished I feel good knowing that I don't have to think about working out for the rest of the day.

Totally agree with this. Then, once I've gotten on a roll for a few days in a row, skipping a day feels like throwing out all the work I had already done. That's a big motivator for me.

theduck619
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Totally agree with this. Then, once I've gotten on a roll for a few days in a row, skipping a day feels like throwing out all the work I had already done. That's a big motivator for me.

When you are on a roll, it stinks missing a day or two. I almost get depressed, thinking that I am losing those gains.

10dedfish
01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I work out in the evening, as I am usually at my desk at work by 6 AM. Generally, I leave the house at 5AM, get there at 6, and am leaving at 2:30-3ish timeframe to beat traffic.

The wife and I are actively trying to go to the Y and work out to lose weight, so to do it as a family, I wait until the evening. Week 2 Day 2 is tonight, so wish me luck. Im still a little sore from Monday.

Matt

mattsdragon
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Cold turkey, that's the way to do it.

I had my last cigerette on July 23, 2010, and I'm running the Donald Half-Marathon this weekend.

You can do it too.

Good luck.

theduck619
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I work out in the evening, as I am usually at my desk at work by 6 AM. Generally, I leave the house at 5AM, get there at 6, and am leaving at 2:30-3ish timeframe to beat traffic.

The wife and I are actively trying to go to the Y and work out to lose weight, so to do it as a family, I wait until the evening. Week 2 Day 2 is tonight, so wish me luck. Im still a little sore from Monday.

Matt

Good luck :thumbsup2

Cold turkey, that's the way to do it.

I had my last cigerette on July 23, 2010, and I'm running the Donald Half-Marathon this weekend.

You can do it too.

Good luck.

Congrats and good luck :thumbsup2

10dedfish
01-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Woohoo week 2 day 2 is done! I did notice my heart rate has dropped pretty significantly between week 1 and 2. Last week my HR was about 160-170 during the jogging. This week, its about 130.:cool1:

Matt

katoot
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Well then. Apparently, this week, I'm not even close to being a morning person. I did manage to wake up at 5:30, thinking,"oh, good, I'll have no problem waking up with my alarm in a half hour." next thing I know, my wife is telling me to wake up because it's 7:30! I do not remember my alarm going off...

Oh well. I guess it's an after work workout day again...

katoot
01-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Another question. Do you usually run indoors or outdoors in the winter?

10dedfish
01-05-2012, 04:53 AM
I run indoors, I hate breathing really cold air when exercising. Makes me cough and wheeze all day. Katoot, working out in the evenings may just be your thing, roll with that!:thumbsup2

Matt

FreezinRafiki
01-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I've found that when I exercise in the evening, it completely gets rid of that need for an evening snack. So that's killing two birds with one stone.

I've also heard that exercising in the evening speeds up your metabolism, so you actually burn more fat while you sleep. I have no idea if that is an old wive's tale or if there is actual science behind that, but it sounds good if it's true.

Of course, you don't want to exercise too close to bed time, as you'll get yourself all wound up and won't be able to sleep, and that is just counter productive.

What are the temps like in Korea this time of year?

katoot
01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I've found that when I exercise in the evening, it completely gets rid of that need for an evening snack. So that's killing two birds with one stone.

I've also heard that exercising in the evening speeds up your metabolism, so you actually burn more fat while you sleep. I have no idea if that is an old wive's tale or if there is actual science behind that, but it sounds good if it's true.

Of course, you don't want to exercise too close to bed time, as you'll get yourself all wound up and won't be able to sleep, and that is just counter productive.

What are the temps like in Korea this time of year?

Right around 32F at night and in the morning, and it's been getting up to about 40-45 during the day here in Pohang. In Incheon and Seoul, where I used to live, they've been getting a bit of snow. It was snowing a little bit when I did my run on Tuesday, but not enough to last long...

I just completed a fairly disappointing 30 min workout on EA Sports Active. I broke my resistance bands during the first exercise that used them, so it wasn't as productive as it could have been. I'm attempting the 6-week challenge on it. I'll have to go to the store tomorrow or Saturday and buy a new set (lost its partner when we moved).

theduck619
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Another question. Do you usually run indoors or outdoors in the winter?

Definitley indoors. Even experienced runners will tell you its not good on your lungs until you have put in months of running.

katoot
01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, I was somewhat able to get up early enough today. Alarm was set for 6, as it has been all week, and got out of bed at 6:30. However, I made the mistake of catching up on here, and the main thread has been too busy :lmao:

So it looks like an after work workout again. I'll be trying day 1 of C25K.

Turkey Lurkey
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Well, I was somewhat able to get up early enough today. Alarm was set for 6, as it has been all week, and got out of bed at 6:30. However, I made the mistake of catching up on here, and the main thread has been too busy :lmao:

So it looks like an after work workout again. I'll be trying day 1 of C25K.

I find it amusing that you're still trying to use an alarm, I thought an air horn was the only way to wake you up?

TL

katoot
01-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I find it amusing that you're still trying to use an alarm, I thought an air horn was the only way to wake you up?

TL

I guess I'm getting old. Alarms usually work for me now. In fact, the alarm that I use (which is on my phone) starts with it talking, saying what time it is. Before this week, I was usually able to get up and turn off the alarm before the music started.

katoot
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Just chock full o questions this week. On average, how long to do workout each day/week?

theduck619
01-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Just chock full o questions this week. On average, how long to do workout each day/week?

I think this can be a big trap. You may feel like you are not doing enough and then you push too hard and get injured. I started at 30-40 minutes after my exercise layoff. Now its usually 1hr, maybe a little over depending if it is a day I am lifting weights or not.

katoot
01-06-2012, 05:48 AM
I think this can be a big trap. You may feel like you are not doing enough and then you push too hard and get injured. I started at 30-40 minutes after my exercise layoff. Now its usually 1hr, maybe a little over depending if it is a day I am lifting weights or not.

Yeah, so far this week, I've been trying to keep it around a half hour, especially since I'm basically just a beginner. I'm about to head out for my first day of C25K, which looks like is only about 30 minutes or so.

theduck619
01-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah, so far this week, I've been trying to keep it around a half hour, especially since I'm basically just a beginner. I'm about to head out for my first day of C25K, which looks like is only about 30 minutes or so.

I really like that program :thumbsup2

katoot
01-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Just got home from finishing Day 1. I'm really liking it so far. For the most part, it's something I can handle. I say "for the most part" due to my Achilles tendons giving me a little bit of a bother. Not sure if it's due to lack of exercise or if it's due to my shoes (I'm still running with the high tops...and my ankles are mostly bothering me where they rub against the shoes...). I know that WAAAAY back when I was a basketball player my freshman year of high school, I was wearing ankle and knee braces from time to time when I (rarely) played...would ankle braces help? :confused3

I just looked at the route I took on walkjogrun.com. I ran/walked about 2 miles, which is a little farther than what I ran on Tuesday, over the same period of time. My ankles (really, just my left one while doing the C25K Day 1), didn't start bothering me until I got to just over a mile and a half.

10dedfish
01-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Just got home from finishing Day 1. I'm really liking it so far. For the most part, it's something I can handle. I say "for the most part" due to my Achilles tendons giving me a little bit of a bother. Not sure if it's due to lack of exercise or if it's due to my shoes (I'm still running with the high tops...and my ankles are mostly bothering me where they rub against the shoes...). I know that WAAAAY back when I was a basketball player my freshman year of high school, I was wearing ankle and knee braces from time to time when I (rarely) played...would ankle braces help? :confused3

I just looked at the route I took on walkjogrun.com. I ran/walked about 2 miles, which is a little farther than what I ran on Tuesday, over the same period of time. My ankles (really, just my left one while doing the C25K Day 1), didn't start bothering me until I got to just over a mile and a half.

Good job man!

Im going to do Week 2 Day 3 tonight, I will post some of my numbers when I get back home. Im using a treadmill right now, but Im averaging right at 2 miles for each run so far.

Matt

SAHDad
01-06-2012, 06:10 PM

My daily runs go anywhere from 20 minutes or so to well over an hour, depending on the day, whether or not I have any races coming up, etc. I do some other stuff during the week, but not organized enough that I could put a time to it. I am planning on adding a kettlebell class next week, which is only 45 minutes Tues & Thurs.

But - as others said - don't compare yourself to other people. It's a good way to either get discouraged (because you think that you are not doing enough), or hurt (because you push yourself harder than is wise). If you end each and every workout with a "Boy, that was easy," then yeah, you probably need to exercise longer or harder. Likewise, if you are constantly sore, in pain, and gasping for air/on the verge of blacking out at the end of your workout, it's a sign that you are probably doing too much, and need to back off.

BTW - I recommend having easy workout days and hard days. Today's run, for example, was hard - interval training, which always leaves me winded and sore. Tomorrow will be a fairly short, but definitely easy, run.

Turkey Lurkey
01-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I know I'm not the ideal person to give advice, but I overhear stuff from the doctors that come in to the station, and as I understand it, for a more beneficial work out regimen, you want to vary your work out, a day of strength training, a day of cardio, a day of rest. The day of rest is important because you're putting your body through a lot, and you need to give it a chance to relax/repair itself.

TL

theduck619
01-06-2012, 06:19 PM
My daily runs go anywhere from 20 minutes or so to well over an hour, depending on the day, whether or not I have any races coming up, etc. I do some other stuff during the week, but not organized enough that I could put a time to it. I am planning on adding a kettlebell class next week, which is only 45 minutes Tues & Thurs.

But - as others said - don't compare yourself to other people. It's a good way to either get discouraged (because you think that you are not doing enough), or hurt (because you push yourself harder than is wise). If you end each and every workout with a "Boy, that was easy," then yeah, you probably need to exercise longer or harder. Likewise, if you are constantly sore, in pain, and gasping for air/on the verge of blacking out at the end of your workout, it's a sign that you are probably doing too much, and need to back off.

BTW - I recommend having easy workout days and hard days. Today's run, for example, was hard - interval training, which always leaves me winded and sore. Tomorrow will be a fairly short, but definitely easy, run.

Great advice on alternating intensity :thumbsup2

katoot
01-06-2012, 08:25 PM

I know I'm not the ideal person to give advice, but I overhear stuff from the doctors that come in to the station, and as I understand it, for a more beneficial work out regimen, you want to vary your work out, a day of strength training, a day of cardio, a day of rest. The day of rest is important because you're putting your body through a lot, and you need to give it a chance to relax/repair itself.

TL

Yeah, that's kinda how I've been planning it. Did my first run on Tuesday, WiiFit Wednesday, EA Sports Active Thursday, C25K Day 1 Yesterday. Today is going to be EA Sports Active, focusing on legs. I believe I have tomorrow planned as rest. The EA Sports Active thing is a 6 week challenge, 4-days on, 3-days off kinda thing.

That being said, my thighs have been a bit sore since Tuesday...but not too bad today.

10dedfish
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, I didnt get my run in tonight, spent the time in the pool with Abigail. Since she's only 6, I had to stay within arm's reach of her at all times. Good time was had by all. Plan on heading to the Y early in the morning to make up for it.

Matt

katoot
01-07-2012, 07:28 AM
I just completed Day 2 of my EA Sports Active 6-week challenge. It was only about twenty-five minutes or so, and wasn't too difficult. With that said, I think I'm gonna go forward and do Day 2 of C25K tomorrow. My legs aren't bothering me today, nor are my ankles. I think I'll be able to handle it. :thumbsup2

10dedfish
01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Finished up week 2 day 3 yesterday, little tired, little sore. Might go ahead today and start week 3, not sure if I want to do that or take the DD6 to Y and I will head into the sauna for a little while.

Went ahead and completed week 3 day 1. Little tired, legs are a little sore, but overall I feel pretty good!

katoot
01-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Haven't been posting too much this week, but I've been continuing with my workouts. However, not as much as I should be, I think. I've been a bit distracted by a new video game, so I haven't been out as much as I'd like.

On the other hand, I've been getting up at 6am this week (Mon and Tues) and then going for a quick run for about 10-15 minutes each morning. I was using a playing field/ground in front of a school next door. I would run two laps, then walk one. I continued this for about 10 or so total laps. It's challenging enough that I'm pushing myself, but not too challenging. Plus, as I get better, I can easily add more laps as my skill (hopefully) increases.

I'm starting to count the days for my event. 89 days to get ready for a 10K. I'm thinking about doing C25K Day 2 tonight, depends on how long my meeting goes tonight. I might not get a chance to workout...

DisDadDoc
01-10-2012, 06:53 PM

TL

I'm not a good person to give advice either (but that won't stop me) and it depends what your goal is. If you're just trying to lose weight, diet modification alone is much more effective than diet modification plus exercise (people who exercise more tend to compensate by eating more). But if you're trying to improve your health (which I guess is our goal!), then diet modification plus exercise is the way to go!

When my DD was born, I dropped 70 lbs to get from 276 to 206. Since then, I've yo-yo'd up and down a bit. I like to be closer to 230 (feel better, don't snore), but I'm currently 250 (and my upcoming Disney trip isn't going to help). Carbohydrate restriction works best for me plus light exercise (treadmill or walking)

My DW has lost over 30 lbs in the last 6 months by doing very rigorous exercise plus very rigid diet, but she literally weighs her food and counts grams protein, fat and carbs religiously in a book. I just couldn't do that with my work schedule, but she's been very impressive with her discipline!

SAHDad
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Haven't posted anywhere in a bit, let alone here.

Had my first kettlebell class today. See, at the Y, or around town, I run. A lot. But pretty much nothing other than running. This is good for running, but only up to a point, because when you start running long distances (like marathon training), you actually do need some core muscles. And, after this morning, I can pretty much attest to the fact that I am a lot closer to having abs of jell-o than abs of steel. Hopefully a couple of months of heaving those annoying little iron weights around will show some improvement.

I'm enjoying hearing other peoples progress - let's keep this thread active!

katoot
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Didn't get a chance to work out last night, nor this morning. Joined DW in meeting her friend. Ended up drinking for about 3-4 hours. Didn't wake up u til 8:30, 30 minutes later than the time I usually leave for work! It's very strange, what woke me up was DW saying "get up." However, she was fast asleep in another room (when I drink, I snore pretty loudly, so to spare her a night of no sleep, I sleep in our other bedroom). I'm pretty sure that I dreamed it. Thought that was pretty interesting.

I will for sure be running tonight. C25K Day 2.

theduck619
01-12-2012, 05:24 AM
I hope everyone is well. For some of us getting in shape also means losing a significant amount of weight. That is me! I weighed myself yesterday and I hope this thread can keep me on the track I need to be on. I weighed in at 226 lbs.

When I rean my last half marathon I weighed 185 :scared1: my goal is to be at 200 by my birthday in mid June.

10dedfish
01-12-2012, 06:10 AM
C25K week 3 day 2 completed last night. I did learn one thing from this last training period, Running after eating Baked Ravioli is not usually a good idea. But I finished the run and didn't puke like some punk!:thumbsup2
Im weighing in over 200 myself, and I would like to drop 20-30 lbs by summer myself. I do need to start some weight training or pushups/situps. But one hurdle at a time.

Matt

katoot
01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Well, didn't get to running yesterday like I wanted. Still wasn't feeling 100% when I got home from work.

Today, I planned on working out before work, like I did on Monday and Tuesday. Alarm was messed up from yesterday. Woke up at 6:30, but alarm went off at 7. I thought it was a little too cold to go for a run (it was a little below freezing), and I didn't want to disturb DW or the neighbors with a Wii exercise, so I opted for an afterwork workout.

Finally got around to it around 9:15 this evening. I did sort of a modified Day 2 for C25K. Instead of 60 sec running/90 sec walking for 20 minutes, I did this:
1st 10 minutes: 90 sec running/60 sec walking.
Then, I anticipated doing the planned 60:90, but I had to meet the wife at 10, so I did a minute of running, 90 seconds of walking, then 3 minutes of running. Followed by about 7-10 minutes of walking to get to DW's workplace.

I thought the workout went fairly well. In fact, I'm going to try to do the same thing tomorrow.

I haven't weighed myself since last weekend, but I was just over 200, I believe. I'd like to knock that down about 15-20 lbs. Preferably by summer.

I kinda mapped a few runs I want to do in my area over the next year. There's the Cherry Blossom Marathon that I want to do the 10K for on April 8th. In June, there's a half marathon in my city of Pohang, that goes along the beach. Then there's a full in December, also in my city.

If we can somehow manage it, finance wise, I'd love to either do the Wine & Dine Half in November, or the Half or Full in January at WDW next year. But that's in the VEEEERRRRYYYY early preliminary possible agenda for a future planning and budgeting meeting for the Vacational purposes Department.

Another thing that I haven't mentioned recently. I was able to cut my smoking down to a pack every two days last week. On Saturday, I slipped a bit (mostly due to boredom). Sunday and Monday, I only had two cigarettes each day. Tuesday, I don't remember how many I had, I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 (I was drinking at the time). However, all day Wednesday and all day today, I have not had a single cigarette. Nor do I have any urges to have any. I didn't even experience any cravings the past two days (I had lots of craving Sun-Tues)! :woohoo::cool1:

10dedfish
01-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Rock on! Got to love it when you can cut back on the cigarettes!

Im not even looking at the preliminary investigation into the possiblity of running a half yet. I will be happy if I can make it thru the C25K program! But a trip that time frame does sound good!:thumbsup2

Matt

IamTrike
01-12-2012, 09:26 AM
We'll I'm back from Marathon weekend. It was a lot of fun. While all the races at Marathon weekend are fun, I'd suggest doing the marathon relay instead of the Half Marathon if you are going to do a Half Marathon at disney. Each leg of the relay has a better course and the course is a lot less crowded.

I think I am going to try and do the EE challenge with DS in May. If any of you can swing a quick disney trip it's a very good value compared to the other disney races. For $125 you get your race entry fee, (t-shirt and medal), you get access to the post race party in AK. And you get another 1 day ticket to any park.

Matt what are you going to do after c25k?

Congrats on cutting back on smoking Casey.

10dedfish
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Matt what are you going to do after c25k?

Not sure. I think I would like to either continue working on my time or go for longer distance. I haven't really planned that far ahead. Whats the EE challenge?

Matt

IamTrike
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Not sure. I think I would like to either continue working on my time or go for longer distance. I haven't really planned that far ahead. Whats the EE challenge?

Matt

Its a 5k race/obstacle course through animal kingdom. Think Warrior Dash only kid friendly.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/expedition-everest-challenge

10dedfish
01-12-2012, 01:03 PM
hmmm sounds interesting. I will have to take this up with the Wife an see if we can swing a weekend trip. Thanks!

Matt

SAHDad
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Second kettlebell class today. Not saying that I am sore, but laughing, sneezing, etc - all a Bad Ideas right now. Is there anything lower than abs of jell-o?

Of course, moving furniture around in the basement probably wasn't the smartest idea in the world either. I still have a new workbench to put together, and the basement is going to be a huge mess until it is - at which point, the basement becomes only a big mess.

theduck619
01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Second kettlebell class today. Not saying that I am sore, but laughing, sneezing, etc - all a Bad Ideas right now. Is there anything lower than abs of jell-o?

Of course, moving furniture around in the basement probably wasn't the smartest idea in the world either. I still have a new workbench to put together, and the basement is going to be a huge mess until it is - at which point, the basement becomes only a big mess.

I have thought about doing one of those classes at the Y. How long is the class you are in?

SAHDad
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I have thought about doing one of those classes at the Y. How long is the class you are in?

Officially 45 minutes, but unofficially, about twelve hours. :lmao: I'm taking it at our Y, so it's twice a week, 45 minutes each time (including warm-up and cool-down), and runs for 8 weeks - I think - it's either six or eight, but I don't feel like looking it up right now, because it would probably depress me. ;)

I'm joking, but while it hurts, I also know that doing something besides just running has got to be good for me, even though it hurts like Beverly right now.

theduck619
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Officially 45 minutes, but unofficially, about twelve hours. :lmao: I'm taking it at our Y, so it's twice a week, 45 minutes each time (including warm-up and cool-down), and runs for 8 weeks - I think - it's either six or eight, but I don't feel like looking it up right now, because it would probably depress me. ;)

I'm joking, but while it hurts, I also know that doing something besides just running has got to be good for me, even though it hurts like Beverly right now.

When I did my last race a few years ago, I did an abs specific class and after the first day I swear I could not get out of the fetal position :scared1:

10dedfish
01-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,

Week 3 day 3 done! Feeling it a little bit this evening, had to run the track, all of the treadmills were in use. Definetly harder on the track. But that may be due to dodging the other people and kids!

Wife was receptive to the weekend EE trip. Now to get the money to register...

Matt

katoot
01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Trying to figure out my schedule for tonight after work. I usually get home around 7 or so, and I have time to myself until 10, when DW gets off of work. I need to go grocery shopping. The question is, do I go on my way home from work, then workout, then meet DW? Or do I go home, workout, then go grocery shopping, and meet DW on the way home? I'm leaning more towards the former. Carrying the groceries home could be part of my workout (about a mile to the store and back)...

katoot
01-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Ok. So, unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to workout Friday or Saturday (unless you would count carrying 10+ pounds of groceries about a mile Friday night).

However, I just got home from a run (well, more of a very slow jog, really). I just wanted to see how long I could last. I found a bike path near my home, and wanted to try that out. I started at about 6:25, and finished at 7:10. According to walkjogrun, I jogged 4 miles/6.5 km! In just 45 minutes! And I feel mostly fine right now (just ankles bothering me a bit). My pace was just over 11 minutes a mile.

Here's the route I ran. (http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=E0F5815C-06D1-D5D5-78A16E2D1968C11E)

Depending on how well my legs are feeling in the morning, I may try it again!

katoot
01-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Legs are feeling fine today, but it was raining when I woke up. So, now I'm planning on doing the run tonight when I get home from work.

10dedfish
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
We are going to head out to the Y sometime tomorrow. Gonna start week 4 then. Recovered from the night of extended drinking and snacking last night, so I have to make up for it!

Matt

katoot
01-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Ugh, it's still raining. I still want to run, but I don't really have appropriate clothes for running in the rain (wouldn't be a problem in the summer, but right now it's about 40 degrees...). I could do a Wii run, but I'm flat footed, and don't like to run too much with no support... :headache:

10dedfish
01-17-2012, 06:48 AM
well, i ran week 4 day 1, and my knees are killing me. I almost stopped during the run, but i pushed thru it. I don't know if it's my shoes or the way I'm running, but something definitely has to give.

Matt

katoot
01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Didn't work out this morning due to being too worried about my eye. Went to the eye doctor, says I have stye and gave me some medicine. This evening, I went bowling with 7 co-workers. Our team won both games, and I had the second highest score for our team (and second highest total in the second game). Not bad for haven't gone bowling in at least three years. I think I averaged about 130...

Quite tired right now, but I'll see if I can do my run tomorrow morning (if not, for sure tomorrow night).

SAHDad
01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Still doing the kettlebell class. Ran two miles before the class, did the class, ran my other two miles afterward. I'm hoping that I will not be as sore tomorrow as I was last week, but I rather think that I will wake up extremely stiff and sore tomorrow morning.

theduck619
01-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Keep up the good work guys :thumbsup2. We are getting where we need to be!

lnevo
01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Ok, I have to start now, I just signed up for a Spartan Race in June....

I've gained 5 pounds since New Year's... definitely need a wake up call :)

katoot
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Ok, I have to start now, I just signed up for a Spartan Race in June....

I've gained 5 pounds since New Year's... definitely need a wake up call :)

What, exactly, is a Spartan Race?

I finally got around to running today. Not as good as my Sunday run, but I was able to go for 25 minutes only jogging. I started a little too fast, and was breathing a little heavy after only two minutes, but then I slowed a bit, and was able to get a good breathing rate. I have a feeling I'll be feeling a little sore tomorrow, but I'll try it again tomorrow night.

lnevo
01-18-2012, 05:11 PM
What, exactly, is a Spartan Race?

Essentially a 5k race in the mud through an obstacle course...I am not in the least prepared for this yet... Glad I have 5 months to get ready...

http://www.spartanrace.com/index.html

10dedfish
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Ok! Got some new running shoes and runners knee. I will try the bike until my knees aren't hurting anymore. I have lost about 4 lbs though.:cool1:

Matt

theduck619
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok! Got some new running shoes and runners knee. I will try the bike until my knees aren't hurting anymore. I have lost about 4 lbs though.:cool1:

Matt

Congrats. I have to run on a treadmill because of a hip injury. Are you running inside or outside?

10dedfish
01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Congrats. I have to run on a treadmill because of a hip injury. Are you running inside or outside?

I have been running inside, the temp has been varying way to much to chance it. I have mostly been using the treadmill, and the one time i used the track did not want me to go back.

I have always had iffy knees, and the running has been aggravating them the last few runs. I also realized, surprisingly, that I am not 17 anymore. :confused3.

If you guys have a "Running Store" near you, I suggest them wholeheartedly.The guy I had explained things to me, watched how I walked and jogged, and then filmed me on the treadmill. He showed me how my feet were turning out slightly and hooked me up with the right shoes!

Matt

lnevo
01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Just did some circuit training in the house. We have an exercise bike and a wii fit board (with the EA Active step things to raise it) Some light dumbbells, some elastic strap thingies and a bosu (sp?) ball.

DW and I did one round, with 5 minutes at each, so 25 minutes total. Worked up a good sweat.

Not too bad, made quick work of something thats typically pretty boring for me.

katoot
01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't think I've mentioned what runs I'm trying to train for. Here's what I have planned so far:

4/7 Cherry Blossom Marathon (I'll be running a 10K) in Gyeongju
4/15 another 10K (Ulsan Maeil Marathon) in Ulsan
6/10 Pohang Half Marathon in Pohang (I hope to do the actual half, and it's in the city's live in)
12/2 Homigot Marathon in Pohang (hope to do the full)

The run in December is not for certain yet. We may or may not be in America around that time.

SAHDad
01-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Another Thursday, another kettlebell class. I keep trying to get there early, so that I can get my run in before the class, but it just hasn't happened. Instead, I wind up with situations like today - I got there in time to run 2.5 miles, do the class, and then suffer through another 2.5 miles.

I'd be asleep right now, but it's half day of schools here, so the kids are running around and I need to be awake for that.

10dedfish
01-20-2012, 09:47 AM
well, I wont be running for a few days. I jogged a little at the running store to get my new shoes, and Ive been limping since then. Gonna give my legs a few days to heal and try again. :sick:

Matt

katoot
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
well, I wont be running for a few days. I jogged a little at the running store to get my new shoes, and Ive been limping since then. Gonna give my legs a few days to heal and try again. :sick:

Matt

I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you a safe recovery. (And it's kinda ironic that you hurt yourself while testing for shoes)

10dedfish
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you a safe recovery. (And it's kinda ironic that you hurt yourself while testing for shoes)

In reality, my knees have been hurting for a week or so. Im just hoping I can get them healed up so I can get back on the treadmill soon. But I appreciate the concern.:thumbsup2

Matt

10dedfish
01-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Hey guys!

Is everyone still keeping up with the program? I know I didnt this weekend, but I plan on heading in to the Y this evening. Still cant jog cuz of the knees, but I plan on either trying some of the weight machines or biking.

Matt

katoot
01-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey guys!

Is everyone still keeping up with the program? I know I didnt this weekend, but I plan on heading in to the Y this evening. Still cant jog cuz of the knees, but I plan on either trying some of the weight machines or biking.

Matt

Slowly, but surely. We've had a number of rainy days this past week, so I didn't get to run as much as I would have liked. Did about 2 hours of walking yesterday while shopping with DW. Today, I did a 30 minute jog followed by a 15 minute walk. Well probably do a lot of walking tomorrow in Busan. Hopefully, I'll have some time tomorrow to run, as well. I still have two days off, so I also hope to get a good jog in on Wednesday.

10dedfish
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Well, We went to the Y and I did 8 miles on the bike, medium setting, random hills. Legs were tight when done but I did. Then I spent an hour in the pool with the girls. I am quite knackered, let me tell you.

Matt

IamTrike
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I've really slacked off since the Marathon 2 weeks ago. In 2 weeks I've gained about 8 pounds. Decided that was too much. I ran 5 miles yesterday and I made it to the gym to lift today.

SAHDad
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Managed my first double digit run (10 miles) yesterday in more than 3 months. Followed it up with a 5 miler today, although it was harder than it probably should have been. Tomorrow should be an easy 4 miler, and then the kettlebell class.

After that, unfortunately, I need to go shopping for a new computer - the current desktop is making sounds which lead me to believe that the hard drive is going to die in the next few weeks, if that. So, that machine is shut down, and I'm going to hope that it works long enough to transfer all of the data.

10dedfish
01-24-2012, 06:12 AM
I hope to work up to the double digit runs, but right now I'm on the bike. Still trying to keep going, but I plan on giving the knee a few more days to heal up.

Matt

Goofy + 3
01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I hope to work up to the double digit runs, but right now I'm on the bike. Still trying to keep going, but I plan on giving the knee a few more days to heal up.

Matt

I was on xbox.com yesterday to check on something and I noticed you were playing MW3 in the middle of the day. I thought, "he must be resting his knee!" :rotfl:

I'll be running today for the first time since the half at WDW. This cough has been hanging on for a month. Training for the Richmond 10K at the end of March and also need to fix my form. Once the cough goes away I'll start up round 3 of P90X.

10dedfish
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I was on xbox.com yesterday to check on something and I noticed you were playing MW3 in the middle of the day. I thought, "he must be resting his knee!" :rotfl:

I'll be running today for the first time since the half at WDW. This cough has been hanging on for a month. Training for the Richmond 10K at the end of March and also need to fix my form. Once the cough goes away I'll start up round 3 of P90X.

Yeah, Im usually at my desk working at 6AM. So, barring OT, I usually leave 230 ish. I beat traffic coming and going that way.

I drive thru Richmond all the time on the way up to CorpHQ in Manassas. I will PM you next trip and maybe we can grab some lunch or something.

Matt

Goofy + 3
01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Im usually at my desk working at 6AM. So, barring OT, I usually leave 230 ish. I beat traffic coming and going that way.

I drive thru Richmond all the time on the way up to CorpHQ in Manassas. I will PM you next trip and maybe we can grab some lunch or something.

Matt

Sure thing. Just let me know.

IamTrike
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Matt are you going to run either of the flying pirate races in April?

10dedfish
01-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Haven't heard about either race. Can you post a link?

theduck619
01-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Matt are you going to run either of the flying pirate races in April?

What are those? :confused3

10dedfish
01-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Dang!

Just saw that the 5K was sold out, and I am not ready to do a Half Marathon. But for those that are, here is the link http://www.active.com/running/outer-banks-nc/flying-pirate-half-marathon-and-first-flight-5k-2011

I've been so cooped up in my office and on travel for work that alot of things are slipping by with out my notice. What really drinks the beverely, is that is only 30 minutes south of where I live.

I'm heading to the gym tonight, and I have possibly talked my daughter out of running track, for the main reason of 1) Time, she would be considerably overbooked, and 2) She isnt doing it because she wants too, she's doing it to prove a point to the kids in her gym class. Which she is no longer taking.:headache: I asked her if she would rather do a 5k with me instead, so I am going to try and get her started on the C25k program that I am using. We shall see....

Matt

Goofy + 3
01-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Dang!

Just saw that the 5K was sold out, and I am not ready to do a Half Marathon. But for those that are, here is the link http://www.active.com/running/outer-banks-nc/flying-pirate-half-marathon-and-first-flight-5k-2011

I've been so cooped up in my office and on travel for work that alot of things are slipping by with out my notice. What really drinks the beverely, is that is only 30 minutes south of where I live.

I'm heading to the gym tonight, and I have possibly talked my daughter out of running track, for the main reason of 1) Time, she would be considerably overbooked, and 2) She isnt doing it because she wants too, she's doing it to prove a point to the kids in her gym class. Which she is no longer taking.:headache: I asked her if she would rather do a 5k with me instead, so I am going to try and get her started on the C25k program that I am using. We shall see....

Matt

That looks like last year's link. You may still be able to get in to the 5k.

10dedfish
01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
That looks like last year's link. You may still be able to get in to the 5k.

And you would be correct sir!

I will see if I can talk myself into it. I'm still not running a complete 5K yet, but by April I should be good. And this gives the oldest DD something to train for....I will definitely talk to the wife about it tonight.

Thanks for injection of common sense!

Trike, are you going to run it or the half marathon?

Matt

10dedfish
01-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Went to the Y last night, still didn't run, went on some Sybex arc trainer for 30 minutes or so. My thighs and calves are telling me it was effective.

Matt

10dedfish
01-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Cmon guys Anyone out there keeping up with the workout routine?

I plan on going tonight, headed out tomorrow for a business trip, where I will be pulling a double shift then driving back Wednesday afternoon. Still not sure whether I should give my knees more time to heal or just go for it.

Matt

SAHDad
01-30-2012, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I just did not post much this weekend - busy and all that stuff. Ran 10 miles last night (and late - as in, I did not start my run until after 8, so I did not finish until after 9:30), and then did another 5 miles about 9 this morning. I really did not want to run this morning, although that faded after this first half mile or so.

Yet another run and kettlebell combination is on tap for tomorrow morning.

SAHDad
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Unintentional double post.

Goofy + 3
01-30-2012, 02:37 PM

I plan on going tonight, headed out tomorrow for a business trip, where I will be pulling a double shift then driving back Wednesday afternoon. Still not sure whether I should give my knees more time to heal or just go for it.

Matt

I've been running but that's it. I have a minor medical procedure on Friday then after that I'll crank up P90X again.

lnevo
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I've been a lazy slob... must get on track soon as June is fast approaching and I'm sure will be here before I know it.

Posting to hold myself accountable, although it may not get me far just yet.. thank's for listening :)

SAHDad
01-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Every Tuesday and Thursday, I try to get to the Y early enough to finish my run before class, instead of splitting the run into two sections. So, naturally enough, I had to split my run today as well. 2 miles before class, 45 minute class (and I upped the weight of my heaviest bell), and then another 2 miles after. I'm beat, and in another hour, I probably won't be able to raise my arms.

IamTrike
02-01-2012, 01:42 AM
What are those? :confused3 They are 2 running races in the outerbanks in April. Its a 5k and a half marathon. I believe on one of the courses you run up the hill at the Wright Bros memorial.

And you would be correct sir!

I will see if I can talk myself into it. I'm still not running a complete 5K yet, but by April I should be good. And this gives the oldest DD something to train for....I will definitely talk to the wife about it tonight.

Thanks for injection of common sense!

Trike, are you going to run it or the half marathon?

Matt

I think our whole family is going to try the 5k and then I'll run the half by myself. Your post about it being sold out freaked me out as we haven't registered yet. We are still waiting to make sure that finances will be in order.

today was a long day Up early to fly from NC to San Fran for a meeting and now I'm taking the redeye home. I managed to sqeeze in a 5 mile run with our west coast sales guy while I was out here though.

10dedfish
02-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Well, tried jogging again last night, using the Asics I bought a few weeks ago. I was also much more mindful of how I was running, and made a decided effort to try and use the entire sole of my foot, instead of running on the outsides ( I am slightly pronated). So I redid week 4 day 1 on C25K and still did really well.

I need to check the dates again on the Pirate run, as the daughter may be on Spring Break and would be out of the area at the time.

Matt

SAHDad
02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Officially signed up for the Illinois Marathon last night - I have until the end of April to get ready for it, and I can do a passable 10-mile run right now, so I should be fine.

I had intervals on tap for this morning. Run a quarter mile at a very nice, relaxed, slow pace. And then a hard half mile. Then another slow quarter, followed by a hard half, etc. Managed to do 8 half mile repeats, though the last half was bad enough that I thought I might get sick - which actually means that I was running them hard enough.

10dedfish
02-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Rock on Man! I hope to one day get to the 10K point, but I will be happy if I can make the 5k coming up in April!

Matt

theduck619
02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I have fallen off the wagon guys. I have not been to the gym in almost two weeks and have gained back five pounds :scared1:

I got to get in there tomorrow.

10dedfish
02-02-2012, 06:29 AM
The problem has been identified, now its up to you to correct it! I have faith in you duck! I will be headed to the Y tonight, the youngest has swim lessons, the oldest has dance lessons, and I'm going to try and go another run, and maybe some of the sybex workout machines if I have the time.

I have noticed that my leg muscles have tightened up considerably, now I just need to work on getting rid of the spare tire!

matt

katoot
02-02-2012, 07:13 AM
I can't remember the last time I posted on here, and the boards are going too slow to check.:lmao:

Haven't done any exercising in over a week. I had friends visit Friday night-Saturday afternoon last weekend, followed by preparing for my workshop at the beginning of this week. Monday night was an outing with co-workers. Then on Tuesday, I started feeling under the weather. I ended up taking a day off today, and I should be feeling well enough to get back to my regimen this weekend...

10dedfish
02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Did 2.25 miles last night, felt pretty good!

katoot
02-05-2012, 04:13 AM
It was finally warm enough outside, and I was feeling well enough, I went for a run today. Jogged for 20 minutes until my legs started to hurt. Managed 3km. It's supposed to be warm out again tomorrow, so hopefully I'm up for another run.

It's two months before the 10K I was planning on doing. At this rate, I'm not sure if I'll be able to be ready in time. I really need to step up my game...

katoot
02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Just got back from another jog. This time it was for 30 minutes with 20 minutes of walking (5 to start, 15 to finish). Covered approx. 4.35km. Feeling pretty sore right now. Plan on taking tomorrow off (partly because I have a meeting after work, it's going to be colder tomorrow night, and I think I'm gonna be pretty sore/stiff tomorrow).

10dedfish
02-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I plan on going to the Y tonight and hopefully hitting the treadmill instead of the pool with the girls. I havent ran since Thursday, and Im really missing it. Now, if I just had 30 hours days, I might be able to accomplish everything!

Matt

10dedfish
02-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Week 4 day 3 done, and it was a little harder. Its definitely easier to keep pace on the treadmill. I hard to walk the last minute of the run.:sad2:

Matt

katoot
02-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Just got home from my run. Jogged 20 minutes, walked 10, then jogged another 10. Covered roughly 6km. Ran just under 10km/hr, walked 6km/hr. Quite exhausted, but I hope to run 30 straight tomorrow.

10dedfish
02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Just got home from my run. Jogged 20 minutes, walked 10, then jogged another 10. Covered roughly 6km. Ran just under 10km/hr, walked 6km/hr. Quite exhausted, but I hope to run 30 straight tomorrow.

Just remember not to vapor lock on us! :lmao:

Don't push yourself too hard, it may take a little longer to reach your goal, but its better than being down and out for a month with an injury!

Matt

SAHDad
02-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Don't push yourself too hard, it may take a little longer to reach your goal, but its better than being down and out for a month with an injury!

Matt

Exactly! One of the most common mistakes for new runners is to try to run too far and too fast. Really, for most of your runs, you should be able to talk while you run - not long-winded soliloquies or singing, but short sentences.

As it was explained to me - if you can sing, you're going to slow. If the only talking you can do is single words or thereabouts, eg "Too hard! *gasp* Can't! *gasp* Run! *gasp* This! *gasp* Fast!" - you're going too fast (unless you are deliberately doing a hard workout). But talking along the lines of "You see the game? Yeah, it was okay. Third quarter was bad though." is about where you want to be.

For most runs, you want to finish them pleasanrtly tired, fully aware that you could have run faster or longer, but you didn't have to.

As for me - another day, another kettlebell class kicking my butt. Splitting my run into before-class and after-class sections isn't helping either.

katoot
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Matt

Exactly! One of the most common mistakes for new runners is to try to run too far and too fast. Really, for most of your runs, you should be able to talk while you run - not long-winded soliloquies or singing, but short sentences.

As it was explained to me - if you can sing, you're going to slow. If the only talking you can do is single words or thereabouts, eg "Too hard! *gasp* Can't! *gasp* Run! *gasp* This! *gasp* Fast!" - you're going too fast (unless you are deliberately doing a hard workout). But talking along the lines of "You see the game? Yeah, it was okay. Third quarter was bad though." is about where you want to be.

For most runs, you want to finish them pleasanrtly tired, fully aware that you could have run faster or longer, but you didn't have to.

As for me - another day, another kettlebell class kicking my butt. Splitting my run into before-class and after-class sections isn't helping either.

Oh, I know not to push myself too hard. My original plan last night was to only run 20 minutes. But, after walking for 10, I felt good enough to run again and ended up finishing my route in the run.

I've also noticed that I tend to start out a little too fast, and am usually sucking wind after a couple minutes. However, I'm usually able to adjust quickly enough that I'm soon into that "short sentences" pace.

10dedfish
02-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Well, I ran the week 5 day 1 last night, which was basically walk for 5, run for 5, walk for 3, run for 5...etc. Still doing about 2.25 miles, Day 2 is run 8 walk 5. Hope I can hold up for that one.

Gotta make flight arrangements today, going out to San Diego in a few weeks for work.

Matt

katoot
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Did a 25 minute jog tonight, and in the last 5 or so minutes, I tried to pick up my pace it bit. I finished that about two hours ago, and I'm feeling pretty good right now.

I think I might have talked a couple of my co-workers to do the 10K with me in April. Gonna try to get them to sign up with me, and have our racing stuff sent to the office (that way, they won't be able to back out :lmao: ). Hopefully, we will get that done within the next week or two (we have until the middle of March to sign up).

10dedfish
02-13-2012, 08:08 AM
I plan on heading to the Y tonight, and getting another run in. Im on week 5 day 2, which is run for 8 walk for 5 min. I was hoping that they would start a P90X class or something like that, but its mostly zumba and yoga right now.

Good luck with the 10K, I'm hoping to do the Pirate run in April, but I'm not holding my breath right now.

Matt

katoot
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Just did some quick calculations over on walkjogrun. The route I ran was JUST under 4km. I was running at an average pace of 9.5km/hr.

Goofy + 3
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm finally healthy enough to get started working out again. I'll start tonight.
I plan on heading to the Y tonight, and getting another run in. Im on week 5 day 2, which is run for 8 walk for 5 min. I was hoping that they would start a P90X class or something like that, but its mostly zumba and yoga right now.
Matt

Until recently, the DVD's were $120. But I've seen them advertised on tv and craig's list for much, much cheaper. Of course, then you have to find some free weights.. Anyway, I've done it twice and like it alot.

10dedfish
02-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Well, I did week 5 day 2, and it was kinda challenging for me. I was on the track instead of the treadmill, as the Y was completely packed. It was mostly me trying to stick to my pace. Im not sure if I am going to run again today, youngest DD has her swim class. I guess I will wait and see how sore I am by end of the day.

Matt

katoot
02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Route took me 47 minutes today: 27 jogging, 20 walking. I stopped running somewhere between 4-4.5km. Started to get a very tiny blood blister on one of my toes on my right foot. Felt like I had something in my sock or my shoe, but it was just toes rubbing together, I think.

Watched this Nova documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH8nQiILe1Q) last night. Pretty interesting. I recommend it, if you have about an hour to kill...

10dedfish
02-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah didnt run last night, but will most likely run this evening before church. Sorry to hear about the blisters Katoot, having worn steel toed boats for about a decade, I know how bad blisters can hurt your feet.

Oh yeah Forgot to tell you guys, I weighed myself last night at the Y and Im down to 214. I've lost about 10 lbs since I started jogging! :woohoo

Matt

Goofy + 3
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah didnt run last night, but will most likely run this evening before church. Sorry to hear about the blisters Katoot, having worn steel toed boats for about a decade, I know how bad blisters can hurt your feet.

Oh yeah Forgot to tell you guys, I weighed myself last night at the Y and Im down to 214. I've lost about 10 lbs since I started jogging! :woohoo

Matt

I just started working out and running pretty hard this week. Haven't run in a few weeks and haven't done more intense stuff in about 3 months. It's sad how much weaker I've become in those 3 months. :sad2:
Congrats on the weight loss!

10dedfish
02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I just started working out and running pretty hard this week. Haven't run in a few weeks and haven't done more intense stuff in about 3 months. It's sad how much weaker I've become in those 3 months. :sad2:
Congrats on the weight loss!

You know, I cant complain too much about my weight. I was in Submarines for 10 yrs, and was working really long hours on very little sleep. I was mostly sedentary, and that continues when I got out. I've been out for almost 10 yrs now, and in the last 20 yrs or so I had put on almost 60 lbs. Now that Im exercising again, I feel much better than what I did, my snoring has decreased enough that she noticed, and I do have more energy. I can see changes in my calves and thighs from the jogging and I'm pretty happy so far.

I did recommend to the Y that they start a P90X course, but havent heard anything back about that. Im not motivated enough to do it on my own.

Oh and thanks!:thumbsup2

Matt

10dedfish
02-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Well Guys, I finished week 5 day 3, which was a 5 minute warm up walk, and 20 minutes straight jog. The last 2 minutes I bumped the speed up on the treadmill from 5 mph to 5.5 and tried to put in a hard final lap. Felt good overall, but I was falling asleep watching Ghost Hunters last night. Both DD have stuff to do tonite, DD Ashlea has dance from 530-630, and DD Abigail has swim lessons from 445-530. Maybe I will get another jog in or something not sure yet. :goodvibes

Matt

10dedfish
02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
WOOT! Week 6 Day 1 complete!

I bumped the speed up to 6 and ran that for the most part, but I did have to drop it back to 5mph twice in the last few minutes of the runs. Im getting there, slowly but surely!

Matt

Goofy + 3
02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I forgot how hard training for a race and trying to keep up with P90X can be. I'm too tired to play video games now!!

katoot
02-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Only ran 20 minutes tonight, but at a slightly faster pace. Covered 3.41km. Tomorrow's supposed to be around the same temperature (8 degrees C), so I'm gonna try for another run when I get home from work.

SAHDad
02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Quick checking in - I've been sick for most of the last week, so while I have made at least the daily mileage to keep my streak going, I skipped the kettlebell class and my planned long run for the weekend. Good to see others have been active as well.

Goofy + 3
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Every time I take a break from working out and then start up again this happens. I put on 6-8 pounds almost immediately and spend the next few weeks losing it. It seems to have happened in the past few days. Oh well. I think it's because I'm forcing myself to drink so much water.

10dedfish
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Finished up week 6 day 2, I could tell it had been a few days since I had run. Next day of running is a straight 25 minute run. Hope I can hold out for that one!

Matt

katoot
02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Didn't get a chance to run on Tuesday night due to weather. I've been busy with long days at work, so I haven't been able to run at all since Monday. Probably won't be able to until Saturday. Hopefully, I won't be hungover too much to run, since it's supposed to rain on Sunday (plus, DW wants to go shopping in Busan, which would take most of the day).

10dedfish
02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I did the bike for a few miles yesterday, I think the total was about 7.5. I could definitely tell it by the end. Hard to exercise when I'm on the road, as it takes 3 or 4X longer to do the paperwork due to slow VPN. But I'm East Coast bound tomorrow, flights San Diego at 7AM. :cool1:

Matt

katoot
02-27-2012, 06:29 AM
I seem to keep improving my almost 4k run, despite only running about once a week. Ran it in approx. 20 minutes, really about 22, but I had to wait at a stoplight for about two minutes. (I really need to start using a stopwatch or something...). My frequency should start changing, however. Just signed up for my first run (a 10K) today. Race date is April 7th.

10dedfish
02-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Well, I haven't made it a full 5K yet, as the program is slowly building up to that. I'm currently mostly running for time instead of distance. Distance wise, I'm at about 2.5 miles at 5 miles an hour. I finished up Week 6 Day 3 yesterday, and will probably go back again tonight. All this week its 5 min warm up, 25 min jog.

On a positive note, I weighed in at 208 yesterday, official weight loss of 10 lbs, unofficially, closer to 15. :cool1::banana::banana:

Matt

SAHDad
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Still running, but I missed yesterday's kettlebell class because DS was sick and had to stay home from school. Should be able to make tomorrow, however.

10dedfish
03-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Ran Week 7 Day 1, and I learned a valuable lesson. You should probably wait at least an hour after dinner to run. I finished the run, which is the same as Day 3 of week 6. 5 Min walk and 25 min jog. I am quite sore this morning, but pain is just weakness leaving the body, right?:sad:

Matt

10dedfish
03-06-2012, 06:06 AM
BUMP!!!

I ran week 7 day 2 last night, and I had not run any since last Wednesday. I definitely could tell it had been a few days. My legs are quite sore this morning. I did lose another pound, so my total loss is 11lbs so far. :cool1:

matt

katoot
03-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I haven't ran since Thursday. Today, I realized I only have 31 days until my run! :scared1:

Now that the weather has cleared up, though, I should be able to get a run in tomorrow and Thursday...

SAHDad
03-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Have been running. Weather is getting nicer, finally got to run outside. In the dark. Good thing I had a headlamp. :)

katoot
03-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Ran 7 km in about 45 minutes yesterday with my co-worker. However, once we got to the 5km or so mark, we stopped at a coffee shop. We rested there for about 30 minutes. Felt really sore for the rest of the day.

I was planning on running today, but right now, I'm fighting a massive hangover, so I don't know if I'll get a chance or not..

SAHDad
03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
14 mile run in my freak shoes (aka Vibrams). The 60 degree weather was a little warm, but it was a nice day to celebrate day #1300.

10dedfish
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
14 mile run in my freak shoes (aka Vibrams). The 60 degree weather was a little warm, but it was a nice day to celebrate day #1300.

Dude, I hope to one day be able to whip out a 14 mile run. I was struggling to finish 3 today, made the mistake of eating before I ran. It was about 2 hrs earlier, but it killed me during the run..and it was a white meat chicken sandwich with lettuce. No cheese, mayo or anything else.

So ends week 8 day 1 of the C25K.

Matt

SAHDad
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Dude, I hope to one day be able to whip out a 14 mile run. I was struggling to finish 3 today, made the mistake of eating before I ran. It was about 2 hrs earlier, but it killed me during the run..and it was a white meat chicken sandwich with lettuce. No cheese, mayo or anything else.

So ends week 8 day 1 of the C25K.

Matt

I can handle peanut butter on toast or maybe even a bean burrito a few hours before a run, but nothing really solid.

I can't say that I "whipped it out," but it was a lot easier than it used to be. Just keep with it - right now, a 10k looks pretty daunting. But, once you run a few 10ks, than a 3 mile run gets pretty easy, in general. And, if you transition to a half-marathon, then eventually a 10k is a fairly mid-distance run. Head for marathons and beyond, and anything in the single digits is a short run. :rotfl:

10dedfish
03-13-2012, 06:01 AM
I can handle peanut butter on toast or maybe even a bean burrito a few hours before a run, but nothing really solid.

I can't say that I "whipped it out," but it was a lot easier than it used to be. Just keep with it - right now, a 10k looks pretty daunting. But, once you run a few 10ks, than a 3 mile run gets pretty easy, in general. And, if you transition to a half-marathon, then eventually a 10k is a fairly mid-distance run. Head for marathons and beyond, and anything in the single digits is a short run. :rotfl:

The peanut butter on toast sounds good, but I may just swear off of food until after I run. I think after I get the program complete, Im going to try and work on my speed, as Im keeping the treadmill on 5mph right now. Try to work it up to six or so, and then try to extend the mileage.

Matt

10dedfish
03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Got 2 3/4 miles done this afternoon. Feeling pretty good so far! Week 8 Day 2 is done baby!

katoot
03-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Ran almost three km yesterday morning before work and almost two km this morning. I plan on getting another run in tonight after I finish work (I wanted to run last night, but hadn't planned on it an had already made plans with DW). I have just over two weeks to get ready for my 10k...April 7th is creeping up fast...:scared1:

10dedfish
03-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Good job man! I'm having a hard time getting three workouts in a week right now, but I'm getting ready yo start week 9. Depending on how long my meeting runs today, it may not be today either.

katoot
03-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Good job man! I'm having a hard time getting three workouts in a week right now, but I'm getting ready yo start week 9. Depending on how long my meeting runs today, it may not be today either.

Yeah, I'm doing my best to try to crack down and get moving. I didn't run at all last week...

FreezinRafiki
03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
I haven't post here much since Tim and I started our Nemesis Chalenge, but I thought I'd take a quick peak to see how you guys are doing. Keep up the good work!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

10dedfish
03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
I haven't post here much since Tim and I started our Nemesis Chalenge, but I thought I'd take a quick peak to see how you guys are doing. Keep up the good work!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Ok, I have to ask what the Nemesis challenge is? Is this one of those things where you swear off bacon until the other guy caves?:rotfl2:

katoot
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Ok, I have to ask what the Nemesis challenge is? Is this one of those things where you swear off bacon until the other guy caves?:rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Check out the 1/2 Marathon Training PTR link in Barry's sig.

katoot
03-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Ran a total of 5.29km tonight. The first 2.79 or so km I was running a 5:45/km pace. I finished the run with a 5:54/km overall pace. I was able to run it in 31:15. A little sore right now, four hours after I finished, but I'm happy with my results.

Not doing a run in the morning, since that would mean waking up in 4 hours. I'll try to do a 20 minute run tomorrow night after work.

10dedfish
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Ran a total of 5.29km tonight. The first 2.79 or so km I was running a 5:45/km pace. I finished the run with a 5:54/km overall pace. I was able to run it in 31:15. A little sore right now, four hours after I finished, but I'm happy with my results.

Not doing a run in the morning, since that would mean waking up in 4 hours. I'll try to do a 20 minute run tomorrow night after work.

:eek:

That's about 10 MPH. You must have been haulin Bub! I'm lucky to finish at 5 mph sustained over the 28 minutes I jog.

katoot
03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
:eek:

That's about 10 MPH. You must have been haulin Bub! I'm lucky to finish at 5 mph sustained over the 28 minutes I jog.

Are you sure? I could have sworn it's almost 10 KPH (6.2MPH)...

I just did a quick 20'30" run tonight. Covered 3.43km. Slightly slower than last night at 5:57/km.

Its supposed to rain tomorrow, so I don't think I'll get a run in (plus, I kinda wanna relax after running 4 times in 3 days). However, I hope to run with my coworker on Saturday, maybe another 7km or so.

10dedfish
03-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Are you sure? I could have sworn it's almost 10 KPH (6.2MPH)...

I just did a quick 20'30" run tonight. Covered 3.43km. Slightly slower than last night at 5:57/km.

Its supposed to rain tomorrow, so I don't think I'll get a run in (plus, I kinda wanna relax after running 4 times in 3 days). However, I hope to run with my coworker on Saturday, maybe another 7km or so.

DOH

Your right! I forgot to convert the KMH to MPH. Stoopid metric system.:rotfl2:

Hope to head to the Y tonight and get my run on, this 2x a week stuff is killing me.

10dedfish
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Casey you have motivated me!

I decided to restart my C25K program (not fully) because I was not improving on my speed at all. So I dropped back a few weeks and here I am.
I did weigh myself this evening and I'm now down to 204! WOot!

Keep working guys, it does help!

thheaton
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
cool thread guys. Just the thing I need to hold myself accountable. just got into running and looking to run a half marathon by next year. but for now I'm looking to just get to running for 10 minutes straight. Down 2 lbs after a week. need to drop another 40 or so and I will be about where I need to be.

FreezinRafiki
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
cool thread guys. Just the thing I need to hold myself accountable. just got into running and looking to run a half marathon by next year. but for now I'm looking to just get to running for 10 minutes straight. Down 2 lbs after a week. need to drop another 40 or so and I will be about where I need to be.

Nice job - deciding to do it is the hardest part. Keep it up!

thheaton
03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice job - deciding to do it is the hardest part. Keep it up!

thanks. the encouragement is needed.

FreezinRafiki
03-22-2012, 10:51 PM
thanks. the encouragement is needed.

http://communities.sportsnet.ca/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/8247/MAUIVENTS.jpg

katoot
03-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Casey you have motivated me!

I decided to restart my C25K program (not fully) because I was not improving on my speed at all. So I dropped back a few weeks and here I am.
I did weigh myself this evening and I'm now down to 204! WOot!

Keep working guys, it does help!

The funny thing is, I haven't used the C25K program since the second week of January. I think my speed was up these past two nights because I put myself on a time limit. I knew the distance I had to run, and gave myself either 30 or 45 minutes. At the end of which time, I had to meet DW to walk her home from work.

When I deviated from the program, I just wanted to see how far I could run. I wasn't worried about speed or anything, just how long I could last. I ran for about 20 minutes and thought, "ok, that's good." I turned around to head back, but didn't stop running. I just kept telling myself, "just make it to the end of the beach...ok, just make it to the gas station..." and so on until I made it back home. I ended up running for 45 minutes, covering just over 6km. Since that day, I've pretty much just been doing the 20minute or so runs, very rarely stopping to walk.

I've been writing down how long (time wise) I run each day or if that day was a no-workout day. I started on January 3rd, and I've only ran on 23 days since then (only 5 times in March, and three of those this week). To make matters worse, I still haven't been able to quit smoking (although, I have gotten down to about a 1/2 pack a day).

However, with my first event happening two weeks from tomorrow, I have gotten much more motivated. And, if I feel I do well enough in this one, I plan on signing up for a half marathon that is happening on June 10. Since the events are only about two months from each other, I figure that won't give me any time to slack off.

10dedfish
03-23-2012, 06:10 AM
The funny thing is, I haven't used the C25K program since the second week of January. I think my speed was up these past two nights because I put myself on a time limit. I knew the distance I had to run, and gave myself either 30 or 45 minutes. At the end of which time, I had to meet DW to walk her home from work.

When I deviated from the program, I just wanted to see how far I could run. I wasn't worried about speed or anything, just how long I could last. I ran for about 20 minutes and thought, "ok, that's good." I turned around to head back, but didn't stop running. I just kept telling myself, "just make it to the end of the beach...ok, just make it to the gas station..." and so on until I made it back home. I ended up running for 45 minutes, covering just over 6km. Since that day, I've pretty much just been doing the 20minute or so runs, very rarely stopping to walk.

I've been writing down how long (time wise) I run each day or if that day was a no-workout day. I started on January 3rd, and I've only ran on 23 days since then (only 5 times in March, and three of those this week). To make matters worse, I still haven't been able to quit smoking (although, I have gotten down to about a 1/2 pack a day).

However, with my first event happening two weeks from tomorrow, I have gotten much more motivated. And, if I feel I do well enough in this one, I plan on signing up for a half marathon that is happening on June 10. Since the events are only about two months from each other, I figure that won't give me any time to slack off.

I still use it, but mainly as a way to track my runs for the week. I haven't had alot of time to run recently, and I noticed that my pace wasn't very good. I have also noticed that the weight I've been losing has started dropping off alot slower, even with me being quite militant about tracking my Calories and stuff.

So, I decided to roll back a few weeks on the C25K now that I'm at an acceptable level of fitness, and work on building my speed up. Before I was jogging at 5 miles an hour, which barely qualifies as jogging. So now, I'm going to try a faster pace, 6.5 mph or so and see where that gets me.

LIke Casey said above, He and I both started using the C25K program, if you google it you can find it pretty easily. I also use myfitnesspal.com to track the food I eat and it seems to be working for me so far.

Matt

katoot
03-23-2012, 08:13 AM
I still use it, but mainly as a way to track my runs for the week. I haven't had alot of time to run recently, and I noticed that my pace wasn't very good. I have also noticed that the weight I've been losing has started dropping off alot slower, even with me being quite militant about tracking my Calories and stuff.

So, I decided to roll back a few weeks on the C25K now that I'm at an acceptable level of fitness, and work on building my speed up. Before I was jogging at 5 miles an hour, which barely qualifies as jogging. So now, I'm going to try a faster pace, 6.5 mph or so and see where that gets me.

LIke Casey said above, He and I both started using the C25K program, if you google it you can find it pretty easily. I also use myfitnesspal.com to track the food I eat and it seems to be working for me so far.

Matt

Ah, I see.

And yeah, thheaton, before this year, the only time I ran was for school umpteen years ago. Now, the shortest run I've had in the past two months was just over one mile, at ten minutes. I could have run further, but I had a late start and had to get ready for work. Most of my runs have been in the 20-25 minute range, without stopping to walk at all. C25K (Couch to 5k) is a great way to start. You can also check out the W.I.S.H subforum here on the boards for more info/help/support/etc.

10dedfish
03-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Hey Guys,

Still trying to find a comfortable place to restart the C25k. I basically just did week 2 Day 1 last night, and even with the higher speed (6.5) and adding an incline (1.5%), it was still not enough to give me that workout complete feeling. I even ran an extra quarter mile, but to no avail. I think Im just going to stick with it and do extra as needed for me to get that runners high.

Matt

thheaton
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys. I ended up sticking with the program,runner's world 8-week beginner, I found before you guys told me about the C25k program. This week I'm going through week 1 again as it was a struggle for the most part last week. its nice to see some progress though.:thumbsup2

thheaton
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Guys,

Still trying to find a comfortable place to restart the C25k. I basically just did week 2 Day 1 last night, and even with the higher speed (6.5) and adding an incline (1.5%), it was still not enough to give me that workout complete feeling. I even ran an extra quarter mile, but to no avail. I think Im just going to stick with it and do extra as needed for me to get that runners high.

Matt

wish I had some advice for you, but this is the first time in my life I have attempted to run for distance. Everything I had done in the past involved sprinting. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction though.

10dedfish
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
wish I had some advice for you, but this is the first time in my life I have attempted to run for distance. Everything I had done in the past involved sprinting. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction though.

Thanks Bud

I ran again last night, and bumped it up to 7 mph and 1.5 incline. Ran Week 2 day 2, then did an extra 1/4 mile. I may try to do an extra 1/2 mile, but my limiting factor is time. Between work and the schedule of my DW, and 2 DD, my time if very limited.

Good luck and keep it up!

Goofy + 3
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Bud

I ran again last night, and bumped it up to 7 mph and 1.5 incline. Ran Week 2 day 2, then did an extra 1/4 mile. I may try to do an extra 1/2 mile, but my limiting factor is time. Between work and the schedule of my DW, and 2 DD, my time if very limited.

Good luck and keep it up!

Try running outside. My 10k is this weekend and I've been good about following my training schedule. The problem is that most of it was inside. My last few runs have been outdoors and I wish I had gotten out there sooner. My legs have felt heavy and I'm getting tired much sooner than I expected. I did a half marathon about 10 weeks ago and now I'm struggling with a 10k!!

10dedfish
03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Try running outside. My 10k is this weekend and I've been good about following my training schedule. The problem is that most of it was inside. My last few runs have been outdoors and I wish I had gotten out there sooner. My legs have felt heavy and I'm getting tired much sooner than I expected. I did a half marathon about 10 weeks ago and now I'm struggling with a 10k!!

I may try to switch to the track, but there is no where to run outside around here. I'm not brave enough to try and run on the road, so its mainly inside. I have tried to run on the track, but there are so many kids in the way that I finally just gave it up.

There was some outside trails for running in the park not far from my house, but most of those have been destroyed by construction and no longer usable.

I do agree that it would probably be better to run outside, but I don't feel like getting run over either. :eek:

Matt

Goofy + 3
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I may try to switch to the track, but there is no where to run outside around here. I'm not brave enough to try and run on the road, so its mainly inside. I have tried to run on the track, but there are so many kids in the way that I finally just gave it up.

There was some outside trails for running in the park not far from my house, but most of those have been destroyed by construction and no longer usable.

I do agree that it would probably be better to run outside, but I don't feel like getting run over either. :eek:

Matt

Same situation here. I don't like running on the busy road. So for my longer runs I've been driving to a nice neighborhood with sidewalks. It adds 10 minutes driving each way but at least I don't have to run while constantly trying to look over my shoulder.

10dedfish
03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Same situation here. I don't like running on the busy road. So for my longer runs I've been driving to a nice neighborhood with sidewalks. It adds 10 minutes driving each way but at least I don't have to run while constantly trying to look over my shoulder.

I live in a very rural area, and the avg speed of my drivers is 60-65 mph, in the 55 mph zones. They may slow down some for 45, but not by much.

I will try to do more on the track though, you brought up a very good point. I had read in a few other places that there is a difference between the treadmill and real life (duh) but you can make up for it by upping the incline on the treadmill.

katoot
03-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Got a 20 minute run in on Thursday. Wanted to run yesterday, but it was raining.

My 10k is one week from today...:scared1:

I was able to run with my co-worker earlier today. Copied from his facebook:

A great run around Bukbu Beach with Casey.

I just finished my run
Distance: 5.04 km | Pace: 5'52"/km

The whole run took just under 30 minutes. We were planning on running back, but my co-worker's leg was bothering him, so we walked it instead (on the walk, we were averaging about 11m/km).

I'm REALLY sore right now...maybe I should have cleaned the house before I ran...

My plan for the rest of the week:
Short (maybe 20 minute) run tomorrow (Sunday).
Long run on Monday (alternating between run 2km/walk 1km).
Short run Tuesday.
Long run on Wednesday (alternating between 20min run/1 min walk...if that's too rough, add a couple minutes to the walk).
Short run on Thursday.
No running on Friday.

The 10k starts, I believe, at 10am on Saturday.

katoot
04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
So my "short" run today ended up being longer than yesterday, at 5.33km, with an average pace of 5:58.

Feeling better overall today, compared to yesterday. But we'll see how I feel tomorrow morning.

katoot
04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Felt fairly good today, considering how much I ran over the weekend. My run tonight covered about 3.75km in about 20 or so minutes (not sure exactly of the time, since I didn't have my watch or phone on me), and half of that was running into a non-stop wind. I'm fairly exhausted right now, huffed a lot of wind on my two-block walk home. But, like the good husband I am, I cooked spaghetti for DW and I for dinner, despite my exhaustion.

I'm gonna try for a longer run tomorrow, run 20/walk 1 or 2, and see how long I last. (The route I'm going to do is about 1km, and I'll be running it back and forth...then again, I might do the slightly longer run by adding a block. With that route, back and forth four times will give me over 9km (5 times without the extra block)...)

10dedfish
04-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Good Job Casey!

I finally got the chance to run yesterday afternoon, right after church. I only had 30 minutes to run, and I could really tell it had been almost a week since I had run. But the good news is that I did get off the treadmill and actually ran the track, esp. since there was almost no one there. Hopefully will try again today or tomorrow, based on how sick the wife is.

Matt

katoot
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Copied from my facebook:

Didn't get to run tonight, due to a disagreeing stomach. However, I crunched some numbers. I've been keeping track of the times that I've gone running...just under 10 hours since January 2nd. I didn't keep track of the distances, but, if I had to guess, it'd be somewhere between 80-100km. Considering I never ran more than a mile before this year (and that was back in high school), and I haven't been very consistent in when I run, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

katoot
04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Ran for 31:50 on a late run tonight. Covered 4.76km with an overall pace of 6:40. Ran against some fairly strong winds for part of it, too (part of the run was along a beach...I think I saw waves that were about 10 feet high). I almost considered running the route again, to make it closer to 10km. I was feeling good (still do right now), but I was really thirsty.

I actually timed my run perfectly, though, and it was a good thing I came home when I did. DW was in Seoul yesterday and today. I was home for no more than 5 minutes after my run and she called, telling me to go downstairs to help her unpack the car.

Only two more days to get some runs in, and I wasn't originally planning on running on Friday night. Now, I think I might try to do a short run. Got my racing bib and chip in the mail today. Seems more real now. :lmao:

thheaton
04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Ran for 31:50 on a late run tonight. Covered 4.76km with an overall pace of 6:40. Ran against some fairly strong winds for part of it, too (part of the run was along a beach...I think I saw waves that were about 10 feet high). I almost considered running the route again, to make it closer to 10km. I was feeling good (still do right now), but I was really thirsty.

I actually timed my run perfectly, though, and it was a good thing I came home when I did. DW was in Seoul yesterday and today. I was home for no more than 5 minutes after my run and she called, telling me to go downstairs to help her unpack the car.

Only two more days to get some runs in, and I wasn't originally planning on running on Friday night. Now, I think I might try to do a short run. Got my racing bib and chip in the mail today. Seems more real now. :lmao:

Good Luck Sat. Looking forward to seeing how well you do.

As for me, looks like I will not get much running in this week. DD is home on spring break, so that eliminates my usual AM run. and I'm having a pretty big workload after my class and haven't been able to do any running so far. Back to normal schedules next week so should be able to get back on track. my first 5k will be on June 16th.:banana:

katoot
04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Didn't get a chance to run on Thursday or last night. Makes me a bit nervous for my 10K which is in less than three hours from now :scared1:

I'm both excited and nervous. Hopefully, I'll be able to move afterwards...

Goofy + 3
04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Didn't get a chance to run on Thursday or last night. Makes me a bit nervous for my 10K which is in less than three hours from now :scared1:

I'm both excited and nervous. Hopefully, I'll be able to move afterwards...

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

katoot
04-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I survived.

Ran a 59:11. Not bad, considering it's the first time I've run 10k (previous longest distance was less than 7k). Finished 1555 out of 3498. Woo! Top half!

Before and after pics:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/558048_923232208803_71201476_39324531_636250230_n. jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/303372_923232413393_71201476_39324532_1098196262_n .jpg

Now to start training for the Pohang Half Marathon, on June 10th. And, yes, I plan to do the actual half.

thheaton
04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I survived.

Ran a 59:11. Not bad, considering it's the first time I've run 10k (previous longest distance was less than 7k). Finished 1555 out of 3498. Woo! Top half!

Before and after pics:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/558048_923232208803_71201476_39324531_636250230_n. jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/303372_923232413393_71201476_39324532_1098196262_n .jpg

Now to start training for the Pohang Half Marathon, on June 10th. And, yes, I plan to do the actual half.

Congratulations. :woohoo: Glad to hear you made it through and not a bad time at all.

10dedfish
04-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I survived.

Before and after pics:

Great Job Casey!!

I haven't run hardly at all in the past few weeks, stomach bug is going around the house, and been way to buys to go run. Hope to change that next week, going on travel for work for 5 days, plan on running every morning!

Matt

NWDAD
04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi all,

I just posted over on the DisDAD WISH forum and thought I wold post here also. I have a hard time lossing weight do to an old injury to my right leg. Could not walk on it for a year and am not allowed to run or climb ladders. Only have 30% moblity in the right ankle. I am in pain most days. Any ideas what I can do for exerise?

Thanks,
Kevin

10dedfish
04-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Well, just got my 2nd run in in 2 weeks. I have to say I missed it, and also, try not to eat a heavy bbq sandwich at 8PM the night before. Just sayin.

NWDAD, Not sure what to tell you bud. This really seems like a question for a physical therapist or something along those lines. I will recommend a free web site called myfitnesspal.com, where you can track you calories and stuff. They have about a million and a half different foods in the database, and its helped me lose alot of weight. Not much help i know, sorry cant give you more.:confused3

Matt

katoot
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

I just posted over on the DisDAD WISH forum and thought I wold post here also. I have a hard time lossing weight do to an old injury to my right leg. Could not walk on it for a year and am not allowed to run or climb ladders. Only have 30% moblity in the right ankle. I am in pain most days. Any ideas what I can do for exerise?

Thanks,
Kevin

I concur with Matt. I'm a newb when it comes to running, but I feel you should see a specialist before you try anything. Don't want to make things worse.

As for my training, I was considering adding a 10k race in May, but due to financial reasons, I've reconsidered. I haven't really run since Saturday (actually, I ran about a mile on Sunday, because it was such a beautiful day, but my legs were too tight to do any more than that). I'm hoping to get a run in tomorrow. I've got the day off, and it's supposed to be a fairly nice day.

10dedfish
04-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey guys

I'm still running, was on travel last week and got 3 runs in before work, and just had another one after work. Still having problems breaking the 200 lb mark, just hanging around at 203. Sux but it is what it is. I will knuckle down and try to maintain the diet a little harder.
You guys keep working out and let us know! We all need a little motivation every now and then!

Matt

10dedfish
04-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Didnt have a great evening running yesterday. I found it hard to get into the zone, my legs hurt, couldnt keep pace, just an all around Beverly day of training. May try to go again tomorrow, and see if it was just a one off day.

Matt

katoot
04-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Haven't had a chance to run lately, partially due to being busy, and partially due to the weather. It's supposed to rain all weekend, as well, so I don't think I'll get a chance to go out until Monday or Wednesday...

On the plus side, last Friday, I hiked a mountain for about two hours...

IamTrike
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I survived.

Before and after pics:

That's great Casey. Sub 10 min miles is very good.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Kevin

I agree that meeting with a PT is probably the right place to start. Could you swim or bike. It seems like both of those would be lower impact means of exercising but I don't know if they would strain your ankle in other ways.

I strained a hamstring about 3 weeks ago. So I had to stop running for a bit. I wore compression tights and took a fair amount of aleve in the hopes that it would clear up before my races last weekend. I successfully finished but the 5k on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday. The 5k course was neat you ran around and over the Wright brothers memorial. It poured rain on Sunday for the whole time the half was going on. Aside from wet feet it wasn't bad. Without the rain it probably would have been hotter than I like.

10dedfish
05-03-2012, 07:13 AM
BUMP!

Hey guys,

Got a run in yesterday at the hotel, ran for 2.5 miles in about 30 minutes. I haven't been running as much as before, mostly due to lack of time and conflicting schedules. I will probably try to get a run in this evening too, might as well take advantage of the hotel's treadmills when I can.

Matt

katoot
05-08-2012, 04:17 AM
I've been crazy busy and/or exhausted since I last posted. I haven't had any chances to run, but I have had the occasional long walk here and there.

The deadline for registering for the Pohang Half Marathon is next Tuesday. I am certain I won't be ready. I'm now planning on signing up for the 10k at that event, instead. After doing some research, there's another half in my area in August, though that might be suicide with the heat here...

Another thing that might make it iffy: for the past week or two, every time I walk up steps, my right knee pops/cracks. It's not painful, although it is sore at times, and if I put any weight on it at a certain angle, it feels like someone is shanking me in the knee. I have to get a medical checkup for work later next week, so I'll probably have them take a look at my knee, as well.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to reasses my schedule, see if it's possible for me to wake up a little earlier to get a run in every morning (although, that'll cut in to the little sleep I'm already getting...basically, my schedule Monday-Friday is now 8am-9pm or 8am-10pm, including commute time, which is roughly 30 minutes, each way). On the weekends, I only want to relax and sleep most of the time, but DW usually has other plans. This weekend, one of my friends is getting married, so I don't get a chance to sleep in until, maybe, the 26th. I've been averaging about 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Anyway, I hope things are going well for everyone else!

10dedfish
05-08-2012, 05:22 AM
I have been getting in about 1 run a week for the last 2 weeks or so. Im in the same boat as you Casey, I have so much stuff to do and so little time.
I did spend about 6 hours working the yard on Sunday, and I am still quite sore from that, but I will try to work in a run in either Wednesday.

Matt

10dedfish
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Got 2 runs in in 2 days.

Did about 2 miles or so yesterday morning, and 3 in this morning. Gotta love waking up at 4AM, and nothing to do until 8AM or so.

Matt

katoot
05-21-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm officially signed up for the 10k next month. I have about 20 days to get ready for it. I was finally able to run this past weekend ( only Saturday, though), for about 5k. It felt good. It was also a chance to try out my new running shoes. I was finally able to find a pair in my size.

10dedfish
05-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Ive been slacking on my exercise. Mainly because of everything else going on. My wife is a preschool teacher, and the end of the year is absolute bedlam, trying to get everything finished and ready for either end of year or graduation. Add to that my normal job and everything the girls have going and there you go...

matt

katoot
06-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Participated in another 10k this morning. Didn't quite get the results I wanted, but considering I only ran about 5 or 6 times since the last event, and I walked more than I would have liked...not too bad....