PDA

View Full Version : Dis Dads Convention

Pages : [1] 2

DisDadDoc
12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
This has been talked about a lot, so probably needs its own thread (Thanks, Carl!)

I'm posting a poll with dates, but I'd also like to know if you'd like to do this with or without families. My preference would be to do a long-weekend without families, off-season, at a Disney resort, and to share rooms. This would significantly cut down on costs and might get better attendance.

I'd be happy to take the lead on this and would welcome any help/advice

Thoughts?

(My apologies to Aaron, who I remember now started a thread like this awhile ago...)

Emma's Dad
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a great idea! I would certainly love to do a solo trip for a meet... just not sure how well that would fly with the family. I voted for Jan 2013, but almost any date would work! :thumbsup2

katoot
12-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I voted Nov. '12 since that somewhat lines up with a future trip to America the wife and I (well, mostly me, but she gets some input) are planning. However, the wife kinda threw a bomb on me the other night, and said she didn't want to go back to WDW until we had our own kid. Which kinda put a damper on my planning for the trip (wanted to show her the Osbourne Lights, etc.).

That being said, I know for (90%) sure we will be at WDW in Jan of '14 for a big family trip with Turkey Lurkey. So that would work out perfectly.

On a side note, a solo trip doesn't work for me, being in Korea and all, so I'm all for bringing families. Besides, we all have fams, so our wives and kids could have their own get-together (granted, they may not know each other as well as we do). Plus, if you're like Mark, you made have made an agreement never to visit solo.:lmao:

katoot
12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a great idea! I would certainly love to do a solo trip for a meet... just not sure how well that would fly with the family. I voted for Jan 2012, but almost any date would work! :thumbsup2

Well, if any date would work, why didn't you vote for that one?:confused3
:lmao:

AJRitz
12-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I voted for January or March 2013 (but by March, I mean the first week of the month, before Spring Break crowds and rates set in).

scott2997
12-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I voted for January or March 2013 (but by March, I mean the first week of the month, before Spring Break crowds and rates set in).

I'm hoping to go in March next year again - but my trip would fall during those high rate, big crowd, week before Easter! :scared1:

So my vote is for anytime (long weekend). And I can try to make it happen. :thumbsup2

RAlexander84
12-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I voted September 2012, because I already have a trip booked for September 8-15. Have been saving for years so doubt I would be able to do anything else

twokids0204
12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I voted Jan '13 or May '13

Definitely low season.

And am totally up for sharing a room to cut down on expense. :thumbsup2

scott2997
12-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I voted Jan '13 or May '13

Definitely low season.

And am totally up for sharing a room to cut down on expense. :thumbsup2

+1 on room sharing!

Goofy + 3
12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I voted for Jan '13 but if there had been an "early Dec '12" option I'd have gone for that. Despite the sub-arctic temperatures last year, that's a good time to go. Another thing to keep in mind is that the further back this gets pushed, the more we could see of the new Fantasyland.:thumbsup2 But then if we do January, some of us might match this up with marathon weekend. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

AJRitz
12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
If there are enough people expressing interest far enough out, I can look into getting a block of rooms booked for the event.

FreezinRafiki
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I voted March '13, but only because that's when we have a trip planned for (Mar 7-10 on the Dream, 10-16 at WDW).

With my wife's parents being in FL, every time we go it's a family affair. No solo trips for me.

cj9200
12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
It really doesn't matter to me but when Aaron did a poll, early December was the overwhelming choice. Maybe it should be added. Will be going solo so can share a DVC room. Room type would depend on how many would like to share.

DisDadDoc
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
It really doesn't matter to me but when Aaron did a poll, early December was the overwhelming choice. Maybe it should be added. Will be going solo so can share a DVC room. Room type would depend on how many would like to share.

Forgot about Aaron's poll. Thanks, CJ! :thumbsup2

Mrmrezg
12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I voted for jan 2013, because I am going in June 2012 and don't plan to go in 2013. But, with the way I work, I will just as much of a chance of being off for any of those dates. I just can't plan that far out. It would need to fall on my time off.
On a side note, I have a few points that I could apply to sharing a DVC room.

AJRitz
12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I got a bit of inital information about group booking. We'd need to be able to guarantee at least 10 rooms. If we can do that, we can get discounted pricing on the rooms/tickets and possibly even dining plans. Of course, group booking doesn't really help the DVC gang.

DisDadDoc
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I got a bit of inital information about group booking. We'd need to be able to guarantee at least 10 rooms. If we can do that, we can get discounted pricing on the rooms/tickets and possibly even dining plans. Of course, group booking doesn't really help the DVC gang.

Let's see what response we get. 10 rooms might be too optimistic our first year figuring 2-3 guys to a room. Also, having 2-3 guys per room might be a way to allow for informal cost sharing/helping each other out (rather than a fixed price per person). DVC is a good idea, but might not be a good fit for us at this early point and might be too difficult to coordinate point sharing, etc. Let's see what the response is like.

January seems to be a clear leader at this point, but personally, I'm partial to the fall (Sept or Oct) or early winter (i.e Nov or Dec). I like the decorations!

scott2997
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm game for a long weekend anytime. Early December, Early January...whatever.

For me, it would have to be a weekend as I only have two weeks of vacation and both are already booked.

I'm definitely game on sharing a room with someone or contributing for a DVC booking.

Cinderella's Fella
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
After doing extensive research, I have found that January and September are WDW's slowest months. I haven't voted yet, I want to talk to DW 1st and get her input, but I'm thinking January too.

that's nice
12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I would hope to be in...

Question is would the wife let me go without her????? :confused3 (I doubt it!)

middlepat
12-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Haven't voted as I need to discuss with SWMBO.

Just a thought, but what about renting a vacation home? :confused3

I know it's "offiste" but we might be able to get a better rate :thumbsup2 there and more Dads together could be...... maybe this isn't such a good idea. :rotfl2:

DisneyDadC
12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I would hope to be in...

I will just lead you along with yuenglings and you will be there:thumbsup2

cj9200
12-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think that we have to eliminate families from participating. If you can come alone, great. If you want to make it a family trip, also great. There are plenty of opportunities to do things with both groups. Besides it would be interesting to see your progeny. I say that because mine will be in school unless we pick a date when she is on break.

We tried to pick a date a few times and nothing happened. I would suggest early December but whenever, we need to decide. How do we do that? Sorry, no suggestions. So do we do this with the current poll, Aaron's poll or just pick a date and say this is it? Everyone is not going to be able to be available no matter when we pick. So, lets pick a date.

Goofy + 3
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
If I recall correctly, the Great DisDad Meet of 2010 sort of occurred naturally. It just turned out that a bunch of guys were going around the same time. I looked at Page 1 of the main thread to see upcoming trips but there's not too much that far out. If there were, maybe that would be a way to help narrow down the date. Just a thought...

RodBelding
12-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Let's see what response we get. 10 rooms might be too optimistic our first year figuring 2-3 guys to a room. Also, having 2-3 guys per room might be a way to allow for informal cost sharing/helping each other out (rather than a fixed price per person). DVC is a good idea, but might not be a good fit for us at this early point and might be too difficult to coordinate point sharing, etc. Let's see what the response is like.

January seems to be a clear leader at this point, but personally, I'm partial to the fall (Sept or Oct) or early winter (i.e Nov or Dec). I like the decorations!

I agree on the DVC comment, I wouldn't use my points for this trip anyways, as I'd prefer to pay for a half a room then use points that I'd use for a family vaca...

I voted May because it's a good time personally with work and such. I'll be there the end of September 2012, and January is always an option if it's during marathon weekend!

simzac
12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Since I'm already doing a solo trip Jan'12, I see no reason why I couldn't do a solo trip in Jan'13.

IamTrike
12-29-2011, 05:00 PM
I agree on the DVC comment, I wouldn't use my points for this trip anyways, as I'd prefer to pay for a half a room then use points that I'd use for a family vaca...

I voted May because it's a good time personally with work and such. I'll be there the end of September 2012, and January is always an option if it's during marathon weekend!

How are people getting there? If there's a disdad bus or carpooling of sorts it'd make it easier for me to attend.

lnevo
12-29-2011, 05:27 PM
I would hope to be in...

No way my wife is letting me go without her! Leaving the kid behind is another story...especially for a quick weekend trip.

January is good, but I doubt I'd be able to swing it overall, though I'd love to. Let's see how the year goes... I wouldn't say no just yet :)

AirGoofy
12-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I voted summer 2013 as I plan to bring my family with me and would do a week trip. We have a trip planned for October 2013 (school fall break) and while we would normally go in Spring Break, we are trying Hilton Head. School is in the rest of the time.

DisDadDoc
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
If I recall correctly, the Great DisDad Meet of 2010 sort of occurred naturally. It just turned out that a bunch of guys were going around the same time. I looked at Page 1 of the main thread to see upcoming trips but there's not too much that far out. If there were, maybe that would be a way to help narrow down the date. Just a thought...r

Good thought. I think that what will probably happen is that we'll just pick a date and do it. If people can come, great. If not, then they won't be able to say that they were at the first one...

FreezinRafiki
12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
r

Good thought. I think that what will probably happen is that we'll just pick a date and do it. If people can come, great. If not, then they won't be able to say that they were at the first one...

Ooooh, but I was at the first one...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_SpgivvVx2CQ/TRiMfrzZS_I/AAAAAAAAId8/apWjPSPLi54/s800/DTD.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/djtimbct/DSC01225.jpg

This thread is for planning the second. :thumbsup2

DisDadDoc
12-29-2011, 08:07 PM

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_SpgivvVx2CQ/TRiMfrzZS_I/AAAAAAAAId8/apWjPSPLi54/s800/DTD.jpg

We can let future generations decide this question...

AirGoofy
12-29-2011, 08:16 PM

We can let future generations decide this question...

Maybe we need a new thread to vote on this?

It looks like it is early in the voting, but there may be another option.

Pick a June week and a December week (or Jan/July). Keep them 6 months apart. That way, dads with families and kids in school can meet in summer and then dads can meet in Dec, or both. Perhaps DISdads week(s) can become as famous as Jersey week. We just need to pick a week that has not already been taken.

stopher1
12-29-2011, 10:51 PM

And I was at this one ... solo! I would love to go again. I voted for September - but really, it doesn't matter to me that much. I'm always up for a visit. If I can make it work, I'd be there.

One way to make it less painful for the spouses though, at least I've found from previous experience, is to market it as a Mancation and change the venue. Not that I'm suggesting a different venue - since we all want to be in a Disney destination - but my going on a weekend trip with the guys has never really bothered my DW. She's had her Girlfriends Getaways - so there you go. Don't play it up as a trip to WDW.

carlnix30
12-29-2011, 11:06 PM
I can see a can of worms opening up on this one!! Long weekend sounds great!! Can we set up a hospitality room as well? With cheese balls and jerky? :rotfl2:

Chris, you set it up and I will be there!! (just don't tell my wife):lmao:

theduck619
12-30-2011, 04:33 AM
I am pretty flexible. My family would be with me though, no way I can leave them behind.

DisneyDadC
12-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Ahhh the greatest and first Group DDC meet on record.Five is still the record for DDC meets 6 if you count the one with Walt!! Could have been more if Ron and Dave showed up for the fire works !!!! they were there just not there lol
I would have to agree with Barry on this Chris we are planning the second super DDC meet.The first is in the books.
I dont want to tell you what to do Chris since you grabbed the bull by the horns.I would suggest that we leave this poll up for a little bit longer then we take the top two months and add them to the top two months from previous poll and do another.Let them four months run for a little bit them drop it down to two months then bingo down to one.
I kind of like the idea of doing a summer month and winter month.Then we could see which one has a better turn out (for future ones).As far as "solo" trip there are no limits this could be a family trip where Dad gets to slip away for a bit,this could be a couples trip where hubby gets to slip away for a bit,or this could be a solo trip where you are free lol.As previously said I would not promote this as a Disney trip that may not go over well with family,promote this as a men's get away. This may help
As far as rooms we will have to see what the numbers look like,but there might be enough of us DVC'ers that we could pool small amounts of points to get a two bedroom villa to kind of use as a place to hang out?? I know some would not use their points for the trip but some may.
The options are limitless,but we are on our way the first step has been taken:thumbsup2

AirGoofy
12-30-2011, 07:37 AM
I don't want to speak for others, but when I said I want to bring my family with me to WDW, I (and they) would be fine with me leaving to go and do DIS Dad stuff. They just wouldn't be fine staying here in KY. So, I think a weekend is great, but then, I would have 5 more days with my family in WDW.

Now, if we wanted to add a family meet and greet as one of the activities, then that is ok as well.

What are we going to do on this convention? Are we touring the parks (like the Brazillian tourist herds), doing a KTTW tour, drinking in the convention hall, watching PPTs all day (:thumbsup2 not a thumb), taking DVC tours, golf, beers around WS in Epcot, marathon (I'll be in the golfcart)? Anyone do marketing?

twokids0204
12-30-2011, 09:14 AM
One way to make it less painful for the spouses though, at least I've found from previous experience, is to market it as a Mancation and change the venue. ...... Don't play it up as a trip to WDW.

Right - Honey, a bunch of us DISDad's are having a get together. Not a WDW trip, but we will be in Orlando.
Ummm, no sweetheart, you can't see the pictures when I return, and please stay off the DISboards.

DisDadDoc
12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Right - Honey, a bunch of us DISDad's are having a get together. Not a WDW trip, but we will be in Orlando.
Ummm, no sweetheart, you can't see the pictures when I return, and please stay off the DISboards.

My wife is actually very supportive of a mancation. She takes a yearly girls trip with friends from college, so sees nothing wrong with me doing this and in fact fully supports and encourages it! Clearly, I married very well! :thumbsup2

And really, would your wife rather you do a guys trip in somewhere like Vegas? Seems to me we could get in a lot less trouble in Disney. We've never talked about it, but I think that part of the reason my wife supports my Disney obssession is that there are much, much worse things to be obssessed with...

Goofy + 3
12-30-2011, 09:43 AM
For the record, I'd like partial credit for being at the DDC meet of December 2010. I was there, but only got in one brief meet with Ron at Epcot. Not even sure if a photo exists.

Maybe we need a new thread to vote on this?

It looks like it is early in the voting, but there may be another option.

Pick a June week and a December week (or Jan/July). Keep them 6 months apart. That way, dads with families and kids in school can meet in summer and then dads can meet in Dec, or both. Perhaps DISdads week(s) can become as famous as Jersey week. We just need to pick a week that has not already been taken.

I like this idea. Maybe two standing weeks each year. We could be like the folks in the campgrounds who see each other every year.

One way to make it less painful for the spouses though, at least I've found from previous experience, is to market it as a Mancation and change the venue. Not that I'm suggesting a different venue - since we all want to be in a Disney destination - but my going on a weekend trip with the guys has never really bothered my DW. She's had her Girlfriends Getaways - so there you go. Don't play it up as a trip to WDW.
Brilliant. This could really work.
My wife is actually very supportive of a mancation. She takes a yearly girls trip with friends from college, so sees nothing wrong with me doing this and in fact fully supports and encourages it! Clearly, I married very well! :thumbsup2

And really, would your wife rather you do a guys trip in somewhere like Vegas? Seems to me we could get in a lot less trouble in Disney. We've never talked about it, but I think that part of the reason my wife supports my Disney obssession is that there are much, much worse things to be obssessed with...

Exactly! That's what I keep trying to tell her!!

twokids0204
12-30-2011, 10:02 AM
And I was at this one ... solo! I would love to go again. I voted for September - but really, it doesn't matter to me that much. I'm always up for a visit. If I can make it work, I'd be there.

My wife is ok with it as well. :thumbsup2

She get's 2 weeks vacation a year, and I get 4 weeks.

I was just trying to say - as Christopher said - don't present it as a Disney get away.
I don't think we (at least I) could try to convince her otherwise.

AJRitz
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Here's what I'm thinking of doing -
My understanding is that Disney offers the best group package rates at the slowest times of the year - September, early December, January. I'll touch base with my group sales rep after the first of the year (contacting those folks during the holidays doesn't really do any good - they're not going to get back to me until after the first anyway).

I was thinking of having them quote us rates for Port Orleans-Riverside and Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here is my rationale - POR can accommodate most of those who would bring their families and are non-DVC folks (especially with the Alligator Bayou rooms that can sleep 5). The rooms are larger than Value rooms, so would be more comfortable for a couple of guys to share (and splitting the cost of a Moderate room would likely be cheaper than being solo in a Value room). My thinking about Wilderness Lodge/AKL is that it would allow three guys to comfortably share a room, in the bunk bed rooms. And splitting those rooms three ways would probably be price competitive with two people sharing a Moderate room. WL and AKL can also accommodate families well, and DVC folks could use points to stay at either resort, which would allow us to all stay together.

If people are interested, I can ask about rates. Once we decide to go forward, I'd have to provide them with a credit card guarantee and a signed contract, after which individual reservations can be made into the block. We can hold our block of rooms until 30 days prior to the group's arrival, at which point we can release all but the minimum of 10 rooms at no penalty. The real key would have having at least 10 rooms booked through us (i.e. not counting DVC bookings). But those 10 could be family bookings (and I believe that the group rates can be extended beyond our event dates for at least some period of time), individuals, or multiple individuals sharing a room.

Thoughts?

GoHerd1028
12-30-2011, 10:31 AM

Yes I like the idea of this being called the "first" great DisDads meet!:thumbsup2 Especially since I was there and most likely wont be able to attend the second one!:confused3 Who knows though....we really were not planning the Dec 2010 trip until last minute so miracles DO happen!!

AJRitz
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Just to give folks an idea of the prices we're talking about on a group reservation (and these are just estimates), I ran some numbers. I looked at a long weekend of September 6, 2012 through September 10, 2012 - the weekend AFTER Labor Day weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Undiscounted room-only ratesAnimal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $340/night (shared by 3 people - $113.33/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $360/night (shared by 3 - $120/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $171/night (shared by 2 - $85.50/night)

Guesstimated Discounts - 25% on Deluxe, 20% on Moderate
Animal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $255/night (shared by 3 - $85/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $270/night (shared by 3 - $90/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $136.80/night (shared by 2 - 68.40/night)

Note that those are ONLY estimates, but I think they're not unreasonable estimates. Tickets would also be available at a discounted rate, and can include little bonuses (commonly, a free water park admission). We'd also have the ability to book a special event, like an Illuminations dessert party.

DisDadDoc
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Just to give folks an idea of the prices we're talking about on a group reservation (and these are just estimates), I ran some numbers. I looked at a long weekend of September 6, 2012 through September 10, 2012 - the weekend AFTER Labor Day weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Undiscounted room-only ratesAnimal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $340/night (shared by 3 people - $113.33/night)

Note that those are ONLY estimates, but I think they're not unreasonable estimates. Tickets would also be available at a discounted rate, and can include little bonuses (commonly, a free water park admission). We'd also have the ability to book a special event, like an Illuminations dessert party.

Thanks, Aaron! This is great! (Plus that's my birthday weekend!)

I still worry that we won't get 10 rooms (and if we don't get 10 rooms, would it be a penalty in some form?) I also think it will be too difficult (and not worth the trouble) to coordinate family trips. So far, we have 10 "pretty definite" guys for a solo trip (Fed just texted me back). I say that we schedule a long weekend and if other guys want to bring families, then great, but we can't count on the guys with families to bulk up our numbers. There are just too many factors involved in bringing your families.

patkingpin
12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
My wife loves the idea. Since I am one of the more newer and more quieter of the DisDads, she thinks it would be great to meet some of you in person. Hmm, good angle I think.
Of course she would want to be there also with our daughter but I think that can be worked out.

ETA: I missed the dates from the last post. A September 2012 trip would be tight since we take our annual vacation the first week in October to Beach Club. I would love the January 2013 trip though.

DisDadDoc
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
My wife loves the idea. Since I am one of the more newer and more quieter of the DisDads, she thinks it would be great to meet some of you in person. Hmm, good angle I think.
Of course she would want to be there also with our daughter but I think that can be worked out.

Excellent! Up to 11!

stopher1
12-30-2011, 12:27 PM

You and me both, Chris.

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
12-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Do y’all have a firm time frame yet (or a general idea)?
:scratchin

I like the concept, but my employer severally limits the weeks that I am allowed to be off site, so the “when” would dictate greatly whether of not I could join in on this expedition.

DisDadDoc
12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I still worry that we won't get 10 rooms (and if we don't get 10 rooms, would it be a penalty in some form?)

I may be wrong about how difficult it is to get to 10 rooms. With David N, patkingpin and Fed, that brings up "pretty definite" numbers up to 12. If we do 2/room (instead of 3 so it will bump up our costs a bit), it might be reachable.

stopher1
12-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I still worry that we won't get 10 rooms (and if we don't get 10 rooms, would it be a penalty in some form?) I also think it will be too difficult (and not worth the trouble) to coordinate family trips. So far, we have 10 "pretty definite" guys for a solo trip (Fed just texted me back). I say that we schedule a long weekend and if other guys want to bring families, then great, but we can't count on the guys with families to bulk up our numbers. There are just too many factors involved in bringing your families.

I agree with you 100% Chris.

Bringing the family along is wonderful - but with my son in high school now - he'll be a junior in fall 2012 - we simply cannot go as a family at any time of year like we once did. I understand - really I do - those guys who's wives won't let them go alone - but it's been way too many years now of solo business trips, with stops in both Anaheim and Orlando for my DW to really care. We've been to WDW and DL as a family so many stinking times - she could care less if I go solo or not. Sure she loves going as well, but she's not going to try to stop me from going solo either. It's become cruising that she doesn't want me going solo (though I need to do that for my cruise/travel business).

I like your thinking Chris, and I'm up for it. I will schedule it when we narrow down dates, and pretty much plan on it.

patkingpin
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I may be wrong about how difficult it is to get to 10 rooms. With David N, patkingpin and Fed, that brings up "pretty definite" numbers up to 12. If we do 2/room (instead of 3 so it will bump up our costs a bit), it might be reachable.

My thought is that if the wife and 2yo (then 3yo) daughter come with, we would hopefully be able to book one of the rooms at the group rate. That would help get to 10 rooms, and solve my family problem all in one right?
The only downfall is I wouldn't be sharing nice with others.
Is that thinking bad or should I keep thinking this?

DisneyDadC
12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
This is how I see it:
We will never be able to find a time when everyone can make (wish we could).So we put the poll out there and we roll with what time we can get the most guys.As these meets start to take off hopefully we can add a summer time and a fall/winter time. But we have to start somewhere(thats where the date with most people come in).I just like the idea of getting it planned out so guys have plenty of time to try and make things work.
We can try to plan things out so that guys going with families/spouses etc can get and idea of the game plan and try to plan in the times to meet up(guys going solo can meet anytime lol).As we get further into the planning stages events can be added.However you must crawl before we can walk so the time/dates are our first step.
just for fyi, If summer I will bring my family.Fall/winter I might just bring my wife(MAY).Or I may just go solo I will worry about that part a bit later.

theduck619
12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't want to speak for others, but when I said I want to bring my family with me to WDW, I (and they) would be fine with me leaving to go and do DIS Dad stuff. They just wouldn't be fine staying here in KY. So, I think a weekend is great, but then, I would have 5 more days with my family in WDW.

Now, if we wanted to add a family meet and greet as one of the activities, then that is ok as well.

What are we going to do on this convention? Are we touring the parks (like the Brazillian tourist herds), doing a KTTW tour, drinking in the convention hall, watching PPTs all day (:thumbsup2 not a thumb), taking DVC tours, golf, beers around WS in Epcot, marathon (I'll be in the golfcart)? Anyone do marketing?

I would be interested in some of the group things we could come up with :thumbsup2

Thanks Aaron :thumbsup2

My thought is that if the wife and 2yo (then 3yo) daughter come with, we would hopefully be able to book one of the rooms at the group rate. That would help get to 10 rooms, and solve my family problem all in one right?

I would book a whole room for my family as well, which would help get the number of rooms up.

AJRitz
12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
By the way - the reason I used September instead of January as the example is that the Disney website isn't letting me price room-only for January 2013 yet. I suspect that rates for January would likely be similar to September.

Here's what I'd like to suggest - we're building a corps of folks who are definitely interested here in this thread. I should be able to pull January pricing in the next couple of weeks, and also get some more information about group sales, discounts, etc. Let's keep the discussion going here - perhaps thinking about any group meals/rides/events/etc. that we might like to do. The vote here is pretty strongly in favor of January, so I'd like to get January numbers before going forward with anything.

Once we have a January date, we can narrow it down to a couple of dates - one in September and one in January and have a poll. Winner take all. :) We should be able to tell pretty quickly whether we'll have enough people committed to support a 10-room group buy. The biggest advantage of doing it that way is that it gives us some opportunities for special events that would be harder to do otherwise. (And it looks like some pretty great rates as well). If we don't have enough to buy 10-rooms, we'll still know early enough for people to book for themselves and still get good rates.

theduck619
12-30-2011, 04:06 PM
By the way - the reason I used September instead of January as the example is that the Disney website isn't letting me price room-only for January 2013 yet. I suspect that rates for January would likely be similar to September.

Here's what I'd like to suggest - we're building a corps of folks who are definitely interested here in this thread. I should be able to pull January pricing in the next couple of weeks, and also get some more information about group sales, discounts, etc. Let's keep the discussion going here - perhaps thinking about any group meals/rides/events/etc. that we might like to do. The vote here is pretty strongly in favor of January, so I'd like to get January numbers before going forward with anything.

Once we have a January date, we can narrow it down to a couple of dates - one in September and one in January and have a poll. Winner take all. :) We should be able to tell pretty quickly whether we'll have enough people committed to support a 10-room group buy. The biggest advantage of doing it that way is that it gives us some opportunities for special events that would be harder to do otherwise. (And it looks like some pretty great rates as well). If we don't have enough to buy 10-rooms, we'll still know early enough for people to book for themselves and still get good rates.

Sounds good. I agree we should look at both sets of dates.

DisneyDadC
12-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Im not looking into anything just tell me when it is:lmao::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

DisneyDadC
12-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Sounds good. I agree we should look at both sets of dates.

Im not looking into anything just tell me when it is:lmao::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

DisDadDoc
12-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Nice way to boost your post-count, Carl! :rotfl2::thumbsup2

theduck619
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice way to boost your post-count, Carl! :rotfl2::thumbsup2

Some of us would do anything for those higher numbers :lmao:

AirGoofy
12-30-2011, 05:19 PM

I agree. It's not that DW would refuse me to go alone, but we all prefer to be there together. Now, when they are teenagers .... :scared1: It would be great to book a room OOP with a cheaper rate. That weekend, I would hang out with everyone during the day and go back to sleep with my wife that night. Then after the hangover, er um weekend, is over, then I get another 5 days with my family in WDW.

You are just able to roll like that. Got any room in that entourage?

Some of us would do anything for those higher numbers :lmao:

Not us.

that's nice
12-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I've always wanted to take a Wishes cruise on the Grand 1...

Taken from allears.net These are the 2009 prices. :scared1:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_gy1.htm

The Grand 1

The Grand 1 is an indulgent 52-foot Sea Ray Sedan Bridge Yacht available for luxurious cruises accommodating up to 18 people (17 if a Butler is in service) around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. The Grand 1 is an ideal place to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks. Call (407) 824-2682 for reservations. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

There is conflicting accounts of the number of passengers.... taken from wdwinfo.com http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/grandflrecreation.htm

- Grand 1 Sea Ray Yacht - A new level of luxury awaits you for cruises around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Available for rental, it is routinely used for anniversary parties, birthdays, fireworks cruises and special events.

The yacht has a top speed of 36 miles per hour. It features a small kitchen and dining area as well as three, fully furnished staterooms. A microwave oven, four televisions, a heating / air conditioning unit and a state-of-the-art Bose stereo system round off the amenities.

The cost to rent this fantastic vessel is a steep $400 per hour, and it can accommodate as many as 13 guests. Call 407-824-2682 for reservations.

Due to space and safety constraints we will only be able to accommodate two hot items on board the Grand I at any time. Please add 18% gratuity, 6.5% tax and $75.00 butler fee to prices listed.

Butler service is recommended when hot items are ordered, so that we may provide a hot box to keep your items hot. If the Butler service is declined we are unable to provide a hot box for hot items.

Officers Package - Pick any three items below plus one item from our dessert selection. $29.99 per person

Captains Package - Pick any four items below plus two items from our dessert selection. $39.99 per person

Admirals Package - Pick any six items below plus two items from our dessert selection. $49.99 per person

Children's Package - Selection of Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Ham & Cheese Sandwiches, and Celery & Carrot Sticks with Ranch Dressing. $19.99 per person

Chips (Potato Chips or Tortillas) & Dip - dips: Ranch, French Onion, Salsa, Blue Cheese $12.99; feeds 6 guests

Cheese Pizza - 16-inch $21.59; $2.00 per additional topping

Cold Selections
Red Pepper Hummus Spread - with Pita Chips

Citrus Salad with Smoked Salmon - Orange and Grapefruit Supremes Tossed with Red Onion in Citrus Vinaigrette

Prosciutto Wrapped Breadsticks

Turkey and Taboulleh Roulade - Sliced Turkey and Taboulleh Wrapped in a Flour Tortilla

Brie with Fig Compote - Slices of Brie Cheese with Spiced Fig Compote

Spicy Shrimp Gazpacho - Poached Shrimp tossed in a Spicy Tomato Vegetable Relish

Spiced Rub Chicken with Cherry Tomato Salad - Spiced Chicken Breast atop a Tomato and Fresh Herb Salad

Chilled Beef with Mushrooms - Grilled Sliced Chilled Beef with a Mushroom Salad

Hot Selections
Chicken Skewers - Spice Rubbed Chicken Skewers

Beef Sates - Skewered Beef with Dipping Sauces

Duck Potstickers - Ground Duck and Herbs Wrapped in a Won Ton Shell

Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Caps

Guava Empanada - Guava Puree Wrapped in a Pastry

Desserts
Miniature Assortment - Our Miniature Assortment includes Florida Key Lime Pie, New York Style Cheesecake, Tiramisu, and Chocolate-Hazelnut Mousse Cake

Assorted Miniature French Pastries Platter

Gourmet Cookie Selection

Premium Selections
Add to any of our packages to complete your experience.

A La Carte Platters
Crudité Platter - Served with our House-Made Onion Dip $55.00

Seasonal Fresh Fruit Platter - $55.00

Imported and Domestic Cheeses - Served with Crackers $65.00

Antipasto Platter - An Assortment of Grilled Vegetables and Meats $55.00

A La Carte Specialties
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries - One Dozen $60.00

Tuxedo or Pearl Strawberries - One Dozen $72.00

Miniature Assortment - Our miniature assortment included Florida Key Lime Pie, New York Cheesecake, Tiramisu and Chocolate-Hazelnut Mousse Cake $45.00

Assorted Miniature French Pastries - One Dozen $40.00

Gourmet Tea Cookie Selection - $25.00 One Dozen

Signature Cakes
Our Cakes are available in Chocolate or Vanilla

If you're selecting a cake ten inches or larger, it may be customized with Chocolate Buttercream, White Chocolate Buttercream or Whipped Cream Icing. A wide variety of fillings are available for these larger cakes including Buttercream, Chocolate Buttercream, White Chocolate Buttercream, Fruit Mousse or Custard with Strawberries.

Mickey Mouse Cake - Serves up to two guests $48.00

Small 6 Inch Cake - Serves up to four guests $21.00

Medium 8 Inch Cake - Serves up to eight guests $32.00

Large 10 Inch Cake - Serves up to sixteen guests $45.00

Quarter Sheet Cake - Serves up to twenty guests $55.00

Half Sheet Cake - Serves up to forty guests $80.00

Full Sheet Cake - Serves up to eighty guests $120.00

We will gladly personalize your cake with an inscription of your choice. We also offer a variety of cake toppers to complete your order.

Beverages
Bottled Water - 1 Liter $7.99
Evian, One Liter Bottle
Perrier, One Liter Bottle

Bottled Water - 20 oz $3.25

Assorted Sodas $2.99
Coke
Caffeine Free Coke
Diet Coke
Caffeine Free Diet Coke
Cherry Coke
Sprite
Sprite Zero
Barq's Root Beer
Fanta Orange
Ginger Ale

Ice Tea - 4 servings $7.99

Lemonade - 4 servings $12.00

Regular or Decaffeinated Coffee - 4 servings $6.99

Hot Tea or Hot Chocolate $3.99

Beer and Ale
Domestic $4.50
Miller Lite, Budweiser, Coors Light, or Bud Light

Import/Specialty $5.75
Heineken, Amstel Light, Sam Adams or Corona

Premium $6.75
Bass Ale, Beck's Lager

We also carry a full line of Spirits. Beverage Hosts are available upon request, for an additional charge.

Grand 1 Wine List
Champagne & Sparkling Wines

Magicale, Brachetto Piemonte DOC $49.00

Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvée Brut, Sonoma $62.00

Moet and Chandon, White Star Extra Dry $75.00

Veuve Clicquot, Brut N.V. $75.00

Cuveé Dom Perignon Brut $290.00

Whites

Fess Parker Riesling, Santa Barbara $37.00

Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough $45.00

Wente Chardonnay, Livermore $39.00

Pinot Grigio, Lasorda Veneto $37.00

Sancerre, Pascal Jolivet $55.00

St. Clement Chardonnay, Napa $49.00

Cakebread Chardonnay, Napa $69.00

Blush

Kenwood White Zinfandel, CA $29.00

Red Wines

Cabernet Sauvignon
Brampton Cabernet Sauvignon, South Africa $39.00
Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa $47.00
Silverado Vineyards, Napa $82.00
Moon Mountain Reserve, Sonoma Organic $62.00

Merlot/Malbec
Coppola Diamond Series, CA $45.00
Clos du Bois Reserve Merlot, Sonoma $49.00

Pinot Noir
MacMurray Ranch, Sonoma $45.00
Buena Vista Pinot Noir, Carneros $49.00

Zesty Reds
Chianti Classico, Cecchi $39.00
Tintara, Shiraz, McLaren Vale $49.00
Novelty Hill Syrah, Columbia Valley $53.00
Ravenswood Zinfandel, Sonoma County $39.00

FreezinRafiki
12-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Just spoke the wife about this. She's all for it - she'd love to take the kids to WDW while I was let loose with the boys for an evening or so. I then "hypothetically" brought up a solo trip (which I would never do, but I thought I'd see what happened.)
This is what I predicted to Chris would happen if I took a solo trip to WDW "...after she gets done raking me through the coals, Evan and Madison will take turns poking me with a very sharp stick for a while. Heck, I'll be even Ryder will take a turn smacking me with whatever squeaky toy he has in his hand at the time."

Turns out, she had a much more caring and loving approach. She said that if she went first, there would be nothing left of me for the kids. So she would let them go first because she'd "never deprive them of the opportunity to beat the living *#$& out of you for going to Disney without them"

:love::love:

AirGoofy
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
I've always wanted to take a Wishes cruise on the Grand 1...

Taken from allears.net These are the 2009 prices. :scared1:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_gy1.htm

The Grand 1

The Grand 1 is an indulgent 52-foot Sea Ray Sedan Bridge Yacht available for luxurious cruises accommodating up to 18 people (17 if a Butler is in service) around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. The Grand 1 is an ideal place to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks. Call (407) 824-2682 for reservations. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

There is conflicting accounts of the number of passengers.... taken from wdwinfo.com http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/grandflrecreation.htm

- Grand 1 Sea Ray Yacht - A new level of luxury awaits you for cruises around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Available for rental, it is routinely used for anniversary parties, birthdays, fireworks cruises and special events.

The yacht has a top speed of 36 miles per hour. It features a small kitchen and dining area as well as three, fully furnished staterooms. A microwave oven, four televisions, a heating / air conditioning unit and a state-of-the-art Bose stereo system round off the amenities.

The cost to rent this fantastic vessel is a steep $400 per hour, and it can accommodate as many as 13 guests. Call 407-824-2682 for reservations.

Due to space and safety constraints we will only be able to accommodate two hot items on board the Grand I at any time. Please add 18% gratuity, 6.5% tax and $75.00 butler fee to prices listed.

Butler service is recommended when hot items are ordered, so that we may provide a hot box to keep your items hot. If the Butler service is declined we are unable to provide a hot box for hot items.

If there are 10 people, $40 a person isn't bad. I hope it's not 400 a person. I have smuggled alcohol all sorts of places, so a plan can be developed there.

that's nice
12-30-2011, 09:01 PM
If there are 10 people, $40 a person isn't bad. I hope it's not 400 a person. I have smuggled alcohol all sorts of places, so a plan can be developed there.

I think it would be wayyyyyy more than $40pp. 2 hours to rent. That is $800 at 2009 prices... plus food and drink... I guess we could always eat at a CS first and just load the boat up with beer and cocktails. :confused3

cj9200
12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Just spoke the wife about this. She's all for it - she'd love to take the kids to WDW while I was let loose with the boys for an evening or so. I then "hypothetically" brought up a solo trip (which I would never do, but I thought I'd see what happened.)
This is what I predicted to Chris would happen if I took a solo trip to WDW "...after she gets done raking me through the coals, Evan and Madison will take turns poking me with a very sharp stick for a while. Heck, I'll be even Ryder will take a turn smacking me with whatever squeaky toy he has in his hand at the time."

Turns out, she had a much more caring and loving approach. She said that if she went first, there would be nothing left of me for the kids. So she would let them go first because she'd "never deprive them of the opportunity to beat the living *#$& out of you for going to Disney without them"

:love::love:

THE WOMAN IS PREGNANT. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING TO EVEN SUGGEST THAT? MY GOD MAN.

You are lucky to still be alive or at least not have a dent in the back of your head from a well placed cast iron frying pan.

AirGoofy
12-30-2011, 09:27 PM
I think it would be wayyyyyy more than $40pp. 2 hours to rent. That is $800 at 2009 prices... plus food and drink... I guess we could always eat at a CS first and just load the boat up with beer and cocktails. :confused3

I must have missed the per hour rate. At $50, I think you can get Cat 1 seating at SOA dinner or HDDR and all the draft beer you can drink along with a real good show.

that's nice
12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I must have missed the per hour rate. At $50, I think you can get Cat 1 seating at SOA dinner or HDDR and all the draft beer you can drink along with a real good show.
True... but if you don't do it with 10-15 other dads, when ya gonna do it?

1500/15=$100 not bad for a once in a lifetime experience. ;)

oXar
12-30-2011, 10:10 PM
our AP's expire in August 2012, not sure if we're getting full on AP's next year or Seasonal's. Depending on block out dates.... I don't have much of an excuse to not be there.... maybe scheduling a meal or something at DTD, to 'kick-off' the convention might lure a few 'driving-distance-dads' without the added expense of hotel / park tickets.....

stopher1
12-30-2011, 11:39 PM

Very true... very true. ;)

AJRitz
12-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I was thinking that a group dinner at someplace like 'Ohana (all you can eat meat on a stick) or Cape May Cafe (all you can eat seafood) would be a great group meal, and being in a hotel instead of a park, guy who weren't doing the parks could join us for dinner.

DisneyDon1
12-31-2011, 12:43 AM
I can see a can of worms opening up on this one!! Long weekend sounds great!! Can we set up a hospitality room as well? With cheese balls and jerky? :rotfl2:

Chris, you set it up and I will be there!! (just don't tell my wife):lmao:

And BACON! Lots of BACON:lmao:

DisneyDon1
12-31-2011, 12:46 AM

Yeah that will fly. I would be very interested. Hopefully we will have a good year at work then it would be definite.

scott2997
12-31-2011, 07:42 AM
I was thinking that a group dinner at someplace like 'Ohana (all you can eat meat on a stick) or Cape May Cafe (all you can eat seafood) would be a great group meal, and being in a hotel instead of a park, guy who weren't doing the parks could join us for dinner.

I second this idea! :thumbsup2

theduck619
12-31-2011, 07:49 AM

I like this idea as well :thumbsup2

stopher1
12-31-2011, 07:49 AM
A group breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe would be a lot of fun as an alternative to dinner.... plus by ordering the Skillet - we'd get all-you-can-eat bacon

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm34/stopher1_photos/April%202011%20WDW%20-%20Old%20Key%20West/2011-0406-00156.jpg

scott2997
12-31-2011, 07:51 AM
A group breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe would be a lot of fun as an alternative to dinner.... plus by ordering the Skillet - we'd get all-you-can-eat bacon

I like Stopher's idea too! I say we do both! :thumbsup2

DisneyDon1
12-31-2011, 07:53 AM
I will second that idea

AirGoofy
12-31-2011, 08:41 AM

I'd go for it. Now, when it comes to butler service and all those other add ons, I think we can pirate some of our own refreshments on board. Like on the cruise ships, smuggle your choice of alcohol on board, pour it in your class, add whatever fruit juice you want, and you are drinkin. Or, a pint of Crown Royal is easy to conceal and drink neat.

Cinderella's Fella
12-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd go for it. Now, when it comes to butler service and all those other add ons, I think we can pirate some of our own refreshments on board. Like on the cruise ships, smuggle your choice of alcohol on board, pour it in your class, add whatever fruit juice you want, and you are drinkin. Or, a pint of Crown Royal is easy to conceal and drink neat.

Norm, this might help.

http://www.designmonaco.com/img/4-15033242-0-0-0.jpg

AirGoofy
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Norm, this might help.

http://www.designmonaco.com/img/4-15033242-0-0-0.jpg

Cool. Is that photo shop or a retail item? Where can I get one?

Cinderella's Fella
12-31-2011, 01:31 PM

I just googled an image. Give me a few minutes and I'll find out.

Cinderella's Fella
12-31-2011, 01:36 PM

I just googled an image. Give me a few minutes and I'll find out.

I'm sorry, I got nothing.

DisDadDoc
12-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I see a tremendous amount of merchandise associated with this trip!

AirGoofy
12-31-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry, I got nothing.

Don't taunt me like that with 2 favorites - Disney and alcohol.

AJRitz
12-31-2011, 03:14 PM
I see a tremendous amount of merchandise associated with this trip!

I could, of course, do a special Disdads t-shirt that could be included with the group package booking. :idea:

DisDadDoc
12-31-2011, 07:40 PM
I could, of course, do a special Disdads t-shirt that could be included with the group package booking. :idea:

Definitely!

IndyDisney
12-31-2011, 08:05 PM
So in for this. Just tonight DW was talking about when our next trip would be....

Cheers,
Indy

Captain_Oblivious
12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Wow, take a week off from the DIS and look what I miss!

I think most likely I'd have to sit the convention out. It sounds like a blast, and I wish I could do it. We're a single-income family and typically save up for one big vacation a year, and right now we have plans for a fairly expensive trip both this summer and next. So it would be hard to justify spending several hundred dollars on myself in the midst of that. I'll never say never, but for now I'll let you guys make the plans.

Oh, and good luck. We're all counting on you.

theduck619
01-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Talking to the DW about this and she suggested a place to eat like O'Hana so that after dinner we could either sit on the beach and continue our "discussions" or head to the top of the Contemporary to watch the fireworks.

Cinderella's Fella
01-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Wow, take a week off from the DIS and look what I miss!

I think most likely I'd have to sit the convention out. It sounds like a blast, and I wish I could do it. We're a single-income family and typically save up for one big vacation a year, and right now we have plans for a fairly expensive trip both this summer and next. So it would be hard to justify spending several hundred dollars on myself in the midst of that. I'll never say never, but for now I'll let you guys make the plans.

Oh, and good luck. We're all counting on you.

Congrats on 3555 posts Mark! :thumbsup2

Cinderella's Fella
01-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Talking to the DW about this and she suggested a place to eat like O'Hana so that after dinner we could either sit on the beach and continue our "discussions" or head to the top of the Contemporary to watch the fireworks.

Would the dinner, or for that matter breakfast be for DISDads only, or can we bring a "Date"?

stopher1
01-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Would the dinner, or for that matter breakfast be for DISDads only, or can we bring a "Date"?

We could do both - and have one open to "dates" and the other just Dads.

Turkey Lurkey
01-01-2012, 10:26 AM
How about January 2014? That's the next time I'll be able to go.... :sad1:

TL

AirGoofy
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
How about January 2014? That's the next time I'll be able to go.... :sad1:

TL

I'm hoping for a summer trip in 2014.

hoyce
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Mark myself and fam down as tenative depending on dates/schedules.

DisDadDoc
01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Mark myself and fam down as tenative depending on dates/schedules.

Great Daniel! It's tentatively looking like January 2013 based on the vote count.

AJRitz
01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Now if Disney would just release 2013 rates, we could start actual planning . . .

theduck619
01-02-2012, 04:10 AM
Now if Disney would just release 2013 rates, we could start actual planning . . .

How much longer before that info is available?

IamTrike
01-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Great Daniel! It's tentatively looking like January 2013 based on the vote count.

Are we looking at the weekend after Marathon weekend? It's the 20th anniversary of the Marathon so there will likely already be a handful of dads down there for that.

theduck619
01-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Are we looking at the weekend after Marathon weekend? It's the 20th anniversary of the Marathon so there will likely already be a handful of dads down there for that.

Another good point :thumbsup2

Cinderella's Fella
01-02-2012, 10:33 AM

If you're running, will you have time to hang with the Dads?

IamTrike
01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
If you're running, will you have time to hang with the Dads?

Right now people are guessing 2013 Marathon weekend will be January 10-13th so there could be weekends in January both before and after the MW.

The races start before six. Last year I think I was ready to head back to the parks by 10 or 11 am on Saturday after the half. I think it'd be late morning or mid afternoon before most people would be available after the half.

I was wondering if DDC was going to be scheduled the weekend that follows the Marathon. I don't know if it would be easier for dads that are running to set up an 8 or 9 day trip with the marathon the first weekend and the convention the following weekend.

DisneyDadC
01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
not letting this thread fall to low :thumbsup2
Come on 2013 rates.

theduck619
01-03-2012, 07:54 AM
not letting this thread fall to low :thumbsup2
Come on 2013 rates.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

AJRitz
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Right now people are guessing 2013 Marathon weekend will be January 10-13th so there could be weekends in January both before and after the MW.

The races start before six. Last year I think I was ready to head back to the parks by 10 or 11 am on Saturday after the half. I think it'd be late morning or mid afternoon before most people would be available after the half.

I was wondering if DDC was going to be scheduled the weekend that follows the Marathon. I don't know if it would be easier for dads that are running to set up an 8 or 9 day trip with the marathon the first weekend and the convention the following weekend.

Hmmmmm. Next year's calendar is kind of tricky. If the marathon is the weekend of the 10th-13th, the next weekend is the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, and the Saturday/Sunday of MLK weekend hits 8's and 9's on the Touring Plans crowd calendar.

But if we waited until the crowds subside again and do the 24th-28th, that would probably count out our runners. Crowd levels really aren't bad during Marathon Weekend itself. The only question is whether our runners would end up excluded from too much of our activites, because they're on a training schedule and/or recovering from running.

IamTrike
01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Hmmmmm. Next year's calendar is kind of tricky. If the marathon is the weekend of the 10th-13th, the next weekend is the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, and the Saturday/Sunday of MLK weekend hits 8's and 9's on the Touring Plans crowd calendar.

But if we waited until the crowds subside again and do the 24th-28th, that would probably count out our runners. Crowd levels really aren't bad during Marathon Weekend itself. The only question is whether our runners would end up excluded from too much of our activites, because they're on a training schedule and/or recovering from running.

I think it would be interesting to poll the people that might be running. My guess is that people running that half probably wouldn't be very limited at all.
The full takes more time and those people may need more time running. Its actually good to be up and walking around after a race so I doubt many runners would just head back to their room and call it a day post race. I wound up walking 13 miles in the parks in the afternoon after the half marathon last year.

I probably wouldn't drink around the world before the night before a full marathon, but I wouldn't do that anyway.

Given that the Marathon is a week later next year I think that will make the crowds even less.

DisneyDadC
01-04-2012, 08:02 AM
again falling to low on the charts. I am ready!! I want to book now!!! I am like a little kid cant wait.... I am looking into several different options for this.one of them includes me getting a two bedroom villa or a tree house villa.This would give us a place to do some meet ups . Plus it will give us a place to cook the pork roll/ bacon.

scott2997
01-04-2012, 08:04 AM
again falling to low on the charts. I am ready!! I want to book now!!! I am like a little kid cant wait.... I am looking into several different options for this.one of them includes me getting a two bedroom villa of a tree house villa.This would give us a place to do some meet ups . Plus it will give us a place to cook the pork roll/ bacon.

Carl's excited! Look at his signature....he needs a trip ticker to put there! :rotfl2:

AJRitz
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll take a run (pun fully intended) at some Marathon Weekend numbers. I can do a VERY rough estimate, based on this year's Marathon Weekend rates. I'll also check with my group sales contact and see whether group sales are available during Marathon Weekend.

Ryan - do you know offhand which resorts are the usual ones that offer race transportation?

theduck619
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
again falling to low on the charts. I am ready!! I want to book now!!! I am like a little kid cant wait.... I am looking into several different options for this.one of them includes me getting a two bedroom villa or a tree house villa.This would give us a place to do some meet ups . Plus it will give us a place to cook the pork roll/ bacon.

Oooh we could have a breakfast meat buffet :thumbsup2

Maybe meats from around the world, kosher options, and of course washed down with Dole Whips :thumbsup2

DisneyDadC
01-04-2012, 11:42 AM
oh I am so patiently waiting for some news :angel: :rolleyes: :surfweb:

Cinderella's Fella
01-04-2012, 01:12 PM
So who has trips planed for WDW in 2013? If so, when?

twokids0204
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Oooh we could have a breakfast meat buffet :thumbsup2

Maybe meats from around the world, kosher options, and of course washed down with Dole Whips :thumbsup2

Mmmmm.....Kosher Bacon...

FreezinRafiki
01-04-2012, 01:22 PM
So who has trips planed for WDW in 2013? If so, when?

Land/Sea.

Disney Dream March 7-10, then the 10-16ish at WDW.

Cinderella's Fella
01-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Land/Sea.

Maybe we should build the meet around this?

IamTrike
01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I'll take a run (pun fully intended) at some Marathon Weekend numbers. I can do a VERY rough estimate, based on this year's Marathon Weekend rates. I'll also check with my group sales contact and see whether group sales are available during Marathon Weekend.

Ryan - do you know offhand which resorts are the usual ones that offer race transportation?

Marathon weekend is big enough that all the resorts offer transportation.

IamTrike
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Land/Sea.

I thought you were thinking about marathon weekend next year.

Mmmmm.....Kosher Bacon...

ummm if kosher bacon = turkey bacon I don't think I can support it with an mmmmmm. I prefere the sacrilicious bacon. There are much tastier ways to eat kosher rather than turkey bacon.

lnevo
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Land/Sea.

Same here except mine will be in September for our 5 year wedding anniversary. Oh and it will be land sea land :)

FreezinRafiki
01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I thought you were thinking about marathon weekend next year.

A quick trip for marathon weekend hasn't been ruled out yet. It depends on how my training goes, what what the joint finance committee (My wife and the credit card statement) says.

We had tentatively planned a trip for this March, but with little Ryder coming this spring, we had to postpone. We did a rebooking onboard the Dream in November to get the discount, and decided to do a land/sea in March 2013, during the kids' spring break.

AJRitz
01-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Marathon weekend is big enough that all the resorts offer transportation.

OK. Must be Wine & Dine I'm thinking of that has particular resorts offering special race transportation.

DisneyDadC
01-04-2012, 08:00 PM
so what do you guys think of possibly getting a tree house for this trip???? I just thought it would e cool to have some extra room to socialize in after hrs.

AJRitz
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
A treehouse would be very cool - but pricey. I just looked at one for a client for a week off-season, and IIRC it was about $7,000.

DisneyDadC
01-04-2012, 08:11 PM
i may use some dvc points. I think its like 30+ points a night. Depends on how many nights we want to do

theduck619
01-05-2012, 04:21 AM
A treehouse would be very cool - but pricey. I just looked at one for a client for a week off-season, and IIRC it was about $7,000.

Wow :scared1::scared1:

FreezinRafiki
01-05-2012, 06:16 AM
We stayed in a Treehouse last December on DVC points. I don't recall exactly how many it was, but I'm pretty sure it tapped out close to 2 years worth of our points. Totally worth it, though - those places are awesome!

cj9200
01-05-2012, 06:34 AM
so what do you guys think of possibly getting a tree house for this trip???? I just thought it would e cool to have some extra room to socialize in after hrs.

I would contribute points for that. Current point chart for the times we are looking at are 69 Sun-Thu and 78 for Fri-Sat.

stopher1
01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
We stayed in a Treehouse last December on DVC points. I don't recall exactly how many it was, but I'm pretty sure it tapped out close to 2 years worth of our points. Totally worth it, though - those places are awesome!

OH YEAH THEY ARE!!

I LOVE the treehouses, and can't wait to stay in one again. We stayed in 2010, and it was so awesome. So completely sweet.

They sleep 9 for a family... but not for a bunch of guys. 2 queen beds, 1 sleeper couch, 1 sleeper chair and 2 bunk beds. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - flat screen in each room, including the living room. Great dining table. Charcoal grill at the bottom of the steps of every single unit. And an awesome deck too.

There are only 60 of them - and CRO only has 3 the rest being for DVC members - and the demand is HIGH. I tried pricing one out for a potential client, but there was no availability, which didn't surprise me - of course the timeframe she was looking at was just about the worst time of year to try for one anyway (Christmas week).

The Cabins at the Fort could be another good option for hang around space, and easier to secure on a cash basis.

IamTrike
01-05-2012, 08:38 AM
OH YEAH THEY ARE!!

I LOVE the treehouses, and can't wait to stay in one again. We stayed in 2010, and it was so awesome. So completely sweet.

They sleep 9 for a family... but not for a bunch of guys. 2 queen beds, 1 sleeper couch, 1 sleeper chair and 2 bunk beds. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - flat screen in each room, including the living room. Great dining table. Charcoal grill at the bottom of the steps of every single unit. And an awesome deck too.

There are only 60 of them - and CRO only has 3 the rest being for DVC members - and the demand is HIGH. I tried pricing one out for a potential client, but there was no availability, which didn't surprise me - of course the timeframe she was looking at was just about the worst time of year to try for one anyway (Christmas week).

The Cabins at the Fort could be another good option for hang around space, and easier to secure on a cash basis.

The cabins also have pretty decent kitchens so Carl can get his bacon, bacon-nator or porkapotamus fix on.

DisneyDadC
01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
The cabins also have pretty decent kitchens so Carl can get his bacon, bacon-nator or porkapotamus fix on.

come on be honest.... whats better then waking up in the morning and having the smell of breakfast meats in the air:confused3:confused3

I am easy I dont care where we stay I can work with what ever we decide to do. As long as you dont try and make me share a room with Randall:lmao::rotfl2:

Cinderella's Fella
01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
come on be honest.... whats better then waking up in the morning and having the smell of breakfast meats in the air:confused3:confused3

I am easy I dont care where we stay I can work with what ever we decide to do. As long as I can share a room with Randall and buy all his drinks:lmao::rotfl2:

Why Thanks Carl, that's so sweet. :thumbsup2

Emma's Dad
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm still working on DW for this trip. She can't seem to get past the idea of me being at WDW without her :lmao:

Cinderella's Fella
01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm still working on DW for this trip. She can't seem to get past the idea of me being at WDW without her :lmao:

Don this is pretty funny. I've been re-reading DDC 1 and you had a post about how your DW didn't get Disney! :rotfl2:

scott2997
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Just tell her that everyone else is going and that their wives all didn't care. See what she says!

AJRitz
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM

So bring her along, with the understanding that you'll be heading off with the guys for about 1/2 the trip. :cool1:

Emma's Dad
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Don this is pretty funny. I've been re-reading DDC 1 and you had a post about how your DW didn't get Disney! :rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao: I have almost completely converted her! She CLAIMS this last trip in December was MY Christmas present... but you should have seen her face when she saw all the lights on the castle. She had a little tear in the corner of her eye... and she says "it's like a million diamonds dripping off the side of the castle..." Yeah... she's hooked :thumbsup2

Emma's Dad
01-05-2012, 10:02 AM
So bring her along, with the understanding that you'll be heading off with the guys for about 1/2 the trip. :cool1:

Hmmmmmm... :idea:

that's nice
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Sounds like my wife. She said I ain't going without her! :lmao:

Emma's Dad
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Just tell her that everyone else is going and that their wives all didn't care. See what she says!

Yeah.... ummm... RIGHT :teacher: :lmao::lmao:

scott2997
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Actually when I told my DW about the idea, she kinda hesitated and was a little jealous of the idea of me going alone.

"I guess if it's just the guys"

I still think she'd like to go too - so we'll see.

AJRitz
01-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Maybe we need a "Ladies' Auxilliary Meet"? :confused:

scott2997
01-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Yes - like the DisDads Wives' club :thumbsup2

AJRitz
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes - like the DisDads Wives' club :thumbsup2

Do we really want all of our wives to get together and start comparing notes? :scared1:

DisneyDadC
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Why Thanks Carl, that's so sweet. :thumbsup2

I think Randall may have started something here..I think we should try and have all nemesises share the same rooms. We can pair them up in the buddy system for :thumbsup2the trip.

Emma's Dad
01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I think Randall may have started something here..I think we should try and have all nemesises share the same rooms. We can pair them up in the buddy system for :thumbsup2the trip.

I just had the Nemesis song pop into my head and visions of DIS Dads skipping joyfully through the parks while wearing Mickey hats and waving to all the guests... :lmao::lmao:

scott2997
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I just had the Nemesis song pop into my head and visions of DIS Dads skipping joyfully through the parks while wearing Mickey hats and waving to all the guests... :lmao::lmao:

SICK - just sick man!

:lmao: :rotfl2:

that's nice
01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
:eek::scared1::eek:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

FreezinRafiki
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

I'd share a room with Tim.

It's Dutch Oven Time, Baby!

FreezinRafiki
01-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Just like the opening to Laverne and Shirley, but with middle aged men.
Nothing creepy about that!

that's nice
I'd share a room with Tim.

It's Dutch Oven Time, Baby!

A room... not a bed! :sad2: :scared1: :eek::eek: :scared1:

Emma's Dad
I just had the Nemesis song pop into my head and visions of DIS Dads skipping hand in hand joyfully through the parks while wearing Mickey hats and waving to all the guests... :lmao::lmao:

Modified to add flavor... :rotfl2::rotfl2: I think Tim may have just tasted a little bile in his mouth...

DisneyDadC
01-05-2012, 10:06 PM
way to far down on the list,lets bump this up a bit.

How long do we want to keep the polls open before we try to nail down a smaller time frame?

IamTrike
01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
way to far down on the list,lets bump this up a bit.

How long do we want to keep the polls open before we try to nail down a smaller time frame?

A timeframe more narrow than "eventually"... You're asking a lot.

AJRitz
01-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Part of the problem is that we're talking about 2013, and there isn't any Disney booking information available for 2013 yet. I think we do have it boiled down to January or March 2013. I'm pushing toward January personally, because after the first week in March we hit Spring Break pricing (even though it won't be Spring Break for everyone's family at the same time). One of the things that is leading us to January is marathon weekend, because we have several runners. But we also don't have any information yet on when 2013 marathon weekend will be yet - just some speculation.

theduck619
01-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Hmmmmmm... :idea:

Don, I am bringing my wife and daughters :thumbsup2

I am not scared :lmao:

DisDadDoc
01-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Part of the problem is that we're talking about 2013, and there isn't any Disney booking information available for 2013 yet. I think we do have it boiled down to January or March 2013. I'm pushing toward January personally, because after the first week in March we hit Spring Break pricing (even though it won't be Spring Break for everyone's family at the same time). One of the things that is leading us to January is marathon weekend, because we have several runners. But we also don't have any information yet on when 2013 marathon weekend will be yet - just some speculation.

We may also either want to avoid or hit MLK long weekend (for crowds! or to get more attendance)

theduck619
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
We may also either want to avoid or hit MLK long weekend (for crowds! or to get more attendance)

Very true! Will the MK Fantasyland expansion be complete by this time?

AJRitz
01-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Very true! Will the MK Fantasyland expansion be complete by this time?

Much of the expansion will be open by January 2013, but the Mine Train probably won't open until Fall 2013, at the earliest.

My own inclination is to stay away from MLK weekend. Crowd level estimates are 8s and 9s, and travel costs go up for the holiday weekend. I'd rather try to keep costs down a bit and try to work with Marathon Weekend (even if resort pricing is the same for Marathon and MLK weekends, gas prices and airline fares will spike for the holiday weekend).

theduck619
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Much of the expansion will be open by January 2013, but the Mine Train probably won't open until Fall 2013, at the earliest.

My own inclination is to stay away from MLK weekend. Crowd level estimates are 8s and 9s, and travel costs go up for the holiday weekend. I'd rather try to keep costs down a bit and try to work with Marathon Weekend (even if resort pricing is the same for Marathon and MLK weekends, gas prices and airline fares will spike for the holiday weekend).

I agree. I think if we can keep the other costs lower, but make it more beneficial to attend we should have a pretty good turn out.

Doc, what was the last total you came up with for definities and maybe's?

DisneyDadC
01-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree. I think if we can keep the other costs lower, but make it more beneficial to attend we should have a pretty good turn out.

Doc, what was the last total you came up with for definities and maybe's?

He cant remember cause he lost count when he had to put his shoes back on:lmao::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

theduck619
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
He cant remember cause he lost count when he had to put his shoes back on:lmao::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

Wow :scared1::rotfl2:

middlepat
01-06-2012, 03:12 PM

But did the shoes match? :rotfl2:

scott2997
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
But did the shoes match? :rotfl2:

Wow - you guys ganging up on Doc and none of you are even his nemesis.

However cruel.....and extremely funny!

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

DisneyDadC
01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Wow - you guys ganging up on Doc and none of you are even his nemesis.

However cruel.....and extremely funny!

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

Chris is a big boy he can handle it:lmao::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

Turkey Lurkey
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
If you're going in January, the last weekend in January is awesome. The two times we went then was pretty much walk on everything except at MK, where our longest wait was 1 hr for the Fairies. Ride wise, longest wait was 20 minutes there.

I'd be up for going then if someone wants to pay my way and convince the wife that I'm not actually going to WDW without her. :thumbsup2

TL

DisDadDoc
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
If you're going in January, the last weekend in January is awesome. The two times we went then was pretty much walk on everything except at MK, where our longest wait was 1 hr for the Fairies. Ride wise, longest wait was 20 minutes there.

I'd be up for going then if someone wants to pay my way and convince the wife that I'm not actually going to WDW without her. :thumbsup2

TL

Business trip? Job interview?

DisDadDoc
01-06-2012, 04:55 PM

We're up at 15 definites now and we may be more.

Aaron, I totally agree that avoiding crowds and keeping it inexpensive are good goals

I'm going to post another poll to refine our totals.

Turkey Lurkey
01-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Business trip? Job interview?

She knows I love my job, so job interview is out. I might be able to get away with a Business Trip....

I just know I'm going to end up on that show "Cheaters" because of this.... :rolleyes1

TL

DisneyDadC
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
this thread fell again so time to lift it up..
I have a great idea for this convention.I think at our meet ups that every Dad should buy a drink for any Dad with a lower membership number in attendance.:thumbsup2

theduck619
01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a great idea for this convention.I think at our meet ups that every Dad should buy a drink for any Dad with a lower membership number in attendance.:thumbsup2

Say What :confused3:confused3:lmao:

AJRitz
01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I've got a call scheduled with a group sales representative tomorrow afternoon. It's probably too early to get any concrete numbers, but I should be able to get a better idea of what a group booking could do for us.

theduck619
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I've got a call scheduled with a group sales representative tomorrow afternoon. It's probably too early to get any concrete numbers, but I should be able to get a better idea of what a group booking could do for us.

Thanks for your work on this Aaron :thumbsup2

trennr
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I'll buy for all the Dads!!!

we will meet at this place called Club Cool in Epcot...

They have a really nice specialty drink there I hear. :thumbsup2

DisneyDadC
01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Say What :confused3:confused3:lmao:

ah Dave, my membership number is 1 lower then your therefore you would buy me a drink.:thumbsup2

scott2997
01-12-2012, 03:40 PM

I'll buy you all the complementary water cups you want Carl!

scott2997
01-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your work on this Aaron :thumbsup2

+1 thanks Aaron!

DisneyDadC
01-12-2012, 03:45 PM

yea I tried today with no luck.I am thinking maybe we have to wait for 11months out like dvc? oh and +2 for looking into it

AJRitz
01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
yea I tried today with no luck.I am thinking maybe we have to wait for 11months out like dvc? oh and +2 for looking into it

The holdup is largely that Disney hasn't announced rates for 2013 yet. We could theoretically call and book room-only reservations at an open "rack rate" with a deposit equal to the current rack rate for that room. But you agree when you do that to pay any increase that is announced (unlike the usual deposit policy).

I'm hoping just to get an idea of, proportionately, what kinds of discounts might be available. I know that group booking is also one of the few ways to get actual discounts on tickets, so we'll see what's available on that front. And I'm hoping to get some basic information about special events and average costs - things like a private Illuminations or Wishes dessert party or something along those lines. I've done the private Fantasmic! dessert party and viewing, and I wasn't impressed. The sight lines aren't very good from the seating area.

theduck619
01-12-2012, 04:04 PM
ah Dave, my membership number is 1 lower then your therefore you would buy me a drink.:thumbsup2

Actually Wednesday is opposite day, so you owe me one :rotfl2:

theduck619
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
The holdup is largely that Disney hasn't announced rates for 2013 yet. We could theoretically call and book room-only reservations at an open "rack rate" with a deposit equal to the current rack rate for that room. But you agree when you do that to pay any increase that is announced (unlike the usual deposit policy).

I'm hoping just to get an idea of, proportionately, what kinds of discounts might be available. I know that group booking is also one of the few ways to get actual discounts on tickets, so we'll see what's available on that front. And I'm hoping to get some basic information about special events and average costs - things like a private Illuminations or Wishes dessert party or something along those lines. I've done the private Fantasmic! dessert party and viewing, and I wasn't impressed. The sight lines aren't very good from the seating area.

Would one of the MK tours be an option?

AJRitz
01-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Would one of the MK tours be an option?

I seem to remember tours being a possibility. I'll make sure to ask.

DisneyDadC
01-12-2012, 05:11 PM

oh darn I forgot about Wednesday being opposite day:headache: Glad it Thursday though:thumbsup2

theduck619
01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
oh darn I forgot about Wednesday being opposite day:headache: Glad it Thursday though:thumbsup2

Foiled again! Curse you Carl the Steelers fan :lmao:

DisneyDadC
01-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Foiled again! Curse you Carl the Steelers fan :lmao:

and friday is bring a friend day!!! so hopefully we start the convention on a friday..:thumbsup2

stopher1
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Being #86, I like that idea Carl. :thumbsup2

stopher1
01-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I'll buy for all the Dads!!!

we will meet at this place called Club Cool in Epcot...

They have a really nice specialty drink there I hear. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 :rotfl:

DisneyDadC
01-13-2012, 08:40 AM

I figured you would :thumbsup2

jason4024
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I figured you would :thumbsup2

I think that keeps me out. There are way too many dads with a number lower than me, and those are guys are really dedicated. I love them all like brothters but unless I hit the lottery, I am out.

:lmao:

Wherem I Now
01-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Me too! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

AJRitz
01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I talked to the group sales rep today, and now have a bunch of information to sort through. By way of summary:
Good News: We can sign a contract that would ensure room availabilty any time, even though room rates are not yet out, including for Marathon Weekend.
Bad News: These rates are only "model" rates, and will have to be adjusted when the actual rates come out in June or July.

That said, these are sort of "worst case scenario" room cost numbers, because they are based on 2012 rates + 10%, and actual increases usually range from 5% to 7%. Based on those worst case scenario numbers, room rate estmates are:
Value - $89.10/night (All-Stars)
Moderate - $165.00/night (Port Orleans or Coronado Springs)
Deluxe - $239.80/night (Wilderness Lodge); $284.90/night (Contemporary); $300.30/night (Animal Kingdom Lodge)

Group booking gets us access to discounted tickets as well. The discount varies a bit, based on ticket length. But for comparison purposes (and based on this year's prices, so these will likely go up about 5%), a group discounted 5-day Park Hopper is $293.31 for adults and $275.09 for kids. (Compared to $325.89 for adults and $305.66 for kids, without the group discount). In addition, group-booked Park Hoppers get one free "extra" entitlement at no additional charge. The extra entitlement is good for admission to a water park, DisneyQuest, or a 9-hole round at Oak Trail golf course (DISDads golf tournament anyone?).

Once the 2013 numbers are out, you would also have the option of adding a dining plan.

Group bookings are on an a la carte bases for each reservation as well - you can book a room and buy a ticket of whatever length you wish, with or without a dining plan, etc. I will double-check, but I do not believe that you can purchase Group tickets only, without a room reservation.

Private events are booked after a group contract is in place, and they're priced a la carte. Suggestions from group services included something like an Illuminations dessert party or an early in-park breakfast + "first ride of the day" on a popular attraction. the most popular of those is probably the Sunrise Safari, but it could be done in any park except Magic Kingdom.

There's not much to lose in signing a contract early and locking room availability in place. We have until 60 days prior to the beginning of the group trip to cancel the whole thing with no penalties. There is a cut date at 30-days out, at which we have to release any unbooked rooms from our contracted block. There is a possibility of a penalty if that drops us under 10 rooms, and the rooms can't be rebooked by Disney for other guests.

Just a couple of other notes to this now-rambling post:
1) We are not limited to blocking out rooms at only one resort. The only downside to blocking rooms at multiple resorts is the lack of resort-to-resort transportation.
2) These rate estimates are valid for the entire "Value" season, which is scheduled to run from January 2 through February 14. So these numbers would be valid for either Marathon Weekend or for the last weekend in January.

Comments? Questions? Feedback? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

IamTrike
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
I talked to the group sales rep today, and now have a bunch of information to sort through. By way of summary:
Good News: We can sign a contract that would ensure room availabilty any time, even though room rates are not yet out, including for Marathon Weekend.
Bad News: These rates are only "model" rates, and will have to be adjusted when the actual rates come out in June or July.

That said, these are sort of "worst case scenario" room cost numbers, because they are based on 2012 rates + 10%, and actual increases usually range from 5% to 7%. Based on those worst case scenario numbers, room rate estmates are:
Deluxe - $239.80/night (Wilderness Lodge); $284.90/night (Contemporary); $300.30/night (Animal Kingdom Lodge)

Group booking gets us access to discounted tickets as well. The discount varies a bit, based on ticket length. But for comparison purposes (and based on this year's prices, so these will likely go up about 5%), a group discounted 5-day Park Hopper is $293.31 for adults and $275.09 for kids. (Compared to $325.89 for adults and $305.66 for kids, without the group discount). In addition, group-booked Park Hoppers get one free "extra" entitlement at no additional charge. The extra entitlement is good for admission to a water park, DisneyQuest, or a 9-hole round at Oak Trail golf course (DISDads golf tournament anyone?).

Once the 2013 numbers are out, you would also have the option of adding a dining plan.

Group bookings are on an a la carte bases for each reservation as well - you can book a room and buy a ticket of whatever length you wish, with or without a dining plan, etc. I will double-check, but I do not believe that you can purchase Group tickets only, without a room reservation.

Private events are booked after a group contract is in place, and they're priced a la carte. Suggestions from group services included something like an Illuminations dessert party or an early in-park breakfast + "first ride of the day" on a popular attraction. the most popular of those is probably the Sunrise Safari, but it could be done in any park except Magic Kingdom.

There's not much to lose in signing a contract early and locking room availability in place. We have until 60 days prior to the beginning of the group trip to cancel the whole thing with no penalties. There is a cut date at 30-days out, at which we have to release any unbooked rooms from our contracted block. There is a possibility of a penalty if that drops us under 10 rooms, and the rooms can't be rebooked by Disney for other guests.

1) We are not limited to blocking out rooms at only one resort. The only downside to blocking rooms at multiple resorts is the lack of resort-to-resort transportation.
2) These rate estimates are valid for the entire "Value" season, which is scheduled to run from January 2 through February 14. So these numbers would be valid for either Marathon Weekend or for the last weekend in January.

Great information Aaron. If there are room discounts available for the time period for the time period that we would be there would the group rate be in lieu of those discounts or in addition to those discounts?

AJRitz
01-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Great information Aaron. If there are room discounts available for the time period for the time period that we would be there would the group rate be in lieu of those discounts or in addition to those discounts?

The group rate is in lieu of the other discounts. Generally speaking, the group rate ends up being better, because it's just about the only way to "stack" a room and a ticket discount together. But if you are booking a group rate room, you cannot apply other discounts/PIN codes/etc.

theduck619
01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Are there any price advantages if we all stayed at one resort?

twokids0204
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
That kinda sounds "rack rate"-ish... minus a small discount.

Don't ya think we'd be able to do better just booking at an advertised discount? Obviously nothing is out yet, but assume 30% (pretty standard discount) - or free dining...etc.

The only thing we'd miss out on is the extra waterpark / golf event, and the one private event.

Just putting this out there...?

Besides, we have lots of Dad's with DVC - not sure if any of them would want to use some points, and share the rooms for a rental compensation fee... :confused3

AJRitz
01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Are there any price advantages if we all stayed at one resort?
No.

That kinda sounds "rack rate"-ish... minus a small discount.

Don't ya think we'd be able to do better just booking at an advertised discount? Obviously nothing is out yet, but assume 30% (pretty standard discount) - or free dining...etc.

The only thing we'd miss out on is the extra waterpark / golf event, and the one private event.

Just putting this out there...?

Besides, we have lots of Dad's with DVC - not sure if any of them would want to use some points, and share the rooms for a rental compensation fee... :confused3
Remember, those rates are speculative, and are intentionally estimated on the high side. They presume a 10% rate increase. In reality, room rate increases have averaged closer to 5% and I don't know when we've seen them go up more than 7% in a year. I suspect that's what is making the rates appear a bit high. Any group contract we sign would include language specifically substituting the actual 2013 rates for the speculative rates, as soon as the rates are determined (probably June or July).

The problem with waiting until June or July for the rates to be published is that, while overall park attendance is fairly low in January, resort occupancy for marathon weekend is quite high. Once the official race weekend is announced and 2013 rates are published (allowing people to book without having to call Disney and go through the whole explanation about not having final rates yet), rooms start to book up for that weekend very quickly.

cj9200
01-13-2012, 10:56 PM
No.

Remember, those rates are speculative, and are intentionally estimated on the high side. They presume a 10% rate increase. In reality, room rate increases have averaged closer to 5% and I don't know when we've seen them go up more than 7% in a year. I suspect that's what is making the rates appear a bit high. Any group contract we sign would include language specifically substituting the actual 2013 rates for the speculative rates, as soon as the rates are determined (probably June or July).

The problem with waiting until June or July for the rates to be published is that, while overall park attendance is fairly low in January, resort occupancy for marathon weekend is quite high. Once the official race weekend is announced and 2013 rates are published (allowing people to book without having to call Disney and go through the whole explanation about not having final rates yet), rooms start to book up for that weekend very quickly.

I agree with Aaron. We need a date and if we are trying to get a group rate, we need to do it sooner rather than later. Plus those of us staying at DVC need to book our rooms as far ahead of time as possible. Especially if it is Marathon Weekend. (We can start booking at our home resorts in February)

So, is it Marathon Weekend (probably 1/11 to 1/13)?

Or is it the last weekend of January (1/25 to 1/27)?

And are you interested in getting a group rate? No need to have Aaron do all the work if we can't put enough people together.

Me? I vote for Marathon Weekend and since I will be staying DVC, I won't be participating in the group booking.

These are not iron clad agreements that you will have to say that you are definitely going but lets at least decide on a date.

theduck619
01-14-2012, 04:03 AM
We are not DVC so we would be part of a group booking if possible.

Cinderella's Fella
01-14-2012, 07:24 AM
We are not DVC so we would be part of a group booking if possible.

Group booking for us also.

DisDadDoc
01-14-2012, 07:32 AM

I would sign the contract. But even if we all stay at diffrrent resorts, we need a "home base" So i would set up a hospitality suite or other such gathering place for the guys staying at value or other resorts to come and congregate. Also, we need at least one (preferrably 2) big group events. A launching one & a closing one. Maybe a dessert party on Thursday & Saturday dinner? I would pull the trigger & book it Aaron. And it seems like Marathon weekend will get best turnout, even if the rates are slightly higher

cj9200
01-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I would sign the contract. But even if we all stay at diffrrent resorts, we need a "home base" So i would set up a hospitality suite or other such gathering place for the guys staying at value or other resorts to come and congregate. Also, we need at least one (preferrably 2) big group events. A launching one & a closing one. Maybe a dessert party on Thursday & Saturday dinner? I would pull the trigger & book it Aaron. And it seems like Marathon weekend will get best turnout, even if the rates are slightly higher

Other than signing the contract (cause that is up to you guys), I totally agree. I will be in a 1 BR (probably BW) and I am sure other DVC Dads will do the same so one of those can serve as a hub.

stopher1
01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Other than signing the contract (cause that is up to you guys), I totally agree. I will be in a 1 BR (probably BW) and I am sure other DVC Dads will do the same so one of those can serve as a hub.

The same goes for me. If I go, which is still sitting at maybe, I'll be staying DVC-style. I might get a larger one and share it. Possibly a Treehouse if I can snag one, but if not, a 2 BR at either SSR or AKV. Not sure. Still pondering.

AJRitz
01-14-2012, 11:17 AM
OK. I think we're starting to tread pretty close to the line of a discussion that should best take place somewhere else. I'm going to post a new poll at disdads.com to help figure out which resort or resorts I should include in a group booking, and we can build from there.

Edit: Oops. Forgot we had a contest going on, connected to the current poll. I'll wait and post the new poll on Monday.

cj9200
01-14-2012, 03:22 PM
OK. I think we're starting to tread pretty close to the line of a discussion that should best take place somewhere else. I'm going to post a new poll at disdads.com to help figure out which resort or resorts I should include in a group booking, and we can build from there.

Edit: Oops. Forgot we had a contest going on, connected to the current poll. I'll wait and post the new poll on Monday.

Whatever you need to do to for the group block.

Seems the consensus is focusing on January 11-13 conditional on Marathon Weekend. Can we pull the trigger and set that as the date (unless the marathon weekend changes)?

Cinderella's Fella
01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Whatever you need to do to for the group block.

Seems the consensus is focusing on January 11-13 conditional on Marathon Weekend. Can we pull the finger and set that as the date (unless the marathon weekend changes)?

If we book for that date as Marathon weekend and they change it, can we change our booking?

cj9200
01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
If we book for that date as Marathon weekend and they change it, can we change our booking?

Aaron will have to answer as far as group sales. From my standpoint, I can't book anything until Feb. at the earliest. I would think they will announce Marathon Weekend soon.

We don't have to reserve today or the next few days. The main reason for picking a "tentative" date conditional on the marathon is so everyone can start targeting that date. I feel pretty confident that will be the weekend if past history is any indication.

Maybe Aaron, you can get some inside info?

AJRitz
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
No one could tell me anything for sure about Marathon Weekend, but my group sales contact confirmed that our instincts were good that they would not likely hold the marathon the first weekend in January, since New Year's Day is relative "late" next year, falling on a Tuesday. The reason for signing a contract naming a specific date early is that, as soon as the Marathon dates are announced, runDisney automatically sets aside a large block of rooms. Once that happens, the rooms available for other group bookings get scarce.

The good news is that the group rates are the same regardless of the date we choose. The only dates we really need to avoid in January are the 18th - 20th, because that's the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, and while room rates stay the same, travel costs spike that weekend. With marathon weekend likely to be the 11th - 13th, the only other January weekend is the 25th - 27th (which, in terms of park crowds, will still be somewhat affected by the MLK holiday crowd). Next January just sets up kind of strangely.

theduck619
01-15-2012, 04:17 AM
No one could tell me anything for sure about Marathon Weekend, but my group sales contact confirmed that our instincts were good that they would not likely hold the marathon the first weekend in January, since New Year's Day is relative "late" next year, falling on a Tuesday. The reason for signing a contract naming a specific date early is that, as soon as the Marathon dates are announced, runDisney automatically sets aside a large block of rooms. Once that happens, the rooms available for other group bookings get scarce.

The good news is that the group rates are the same regardless of the date we choose. The only dates we really need to avoid in January are the 18th - 20th, because that's the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, and while room rates stay the same, travel costs spike that weekend. With marathon weekend likely to be the 11th - 13th, the only other January weekend is the 25th - 27th (which, in terms of park crowds, will still be somewhat affected by the MLK holiday crowd). Next January just sets up kind of strangely.

That kind of narrows the window we are looking at, which is a good thing.

theduck619
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Bump

IamTrike
01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I recieved an email from runDisney announcing upcoming races. Marathon Weekend next year is January 10th-13th

cj9200
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
So are we set then for that weekend? Yes? No?

IamTrike
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM

I'm going to be there. DDC or not.

Cinderella's Fella
01-24-2012, 07:07 AM
I recieved an email from runDisney announcing upcoming races. Marathon Weekend next year is January 10th-13th

I'm going to be there. DDC or not.

I vote we pull the finger on this!

AJRitz
01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I'll get in touch with my group contact and get moving on a signed contract. Based on the poll at disdads.com, I'm going to shoot for rooms at Port Orleans-Riverside and Wilderness Lodge.

scott2997
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I'll get in touch with my group contact and get moving on a signed contract. Based on the poll at disdads.com, I'm going to shoot for rooms at Port Orleans-Riverside and Wilderness Lodge.

:thumbsup2<----Big Thumb

theduck619
01-24-2012, 03:14 PM
:thumbsup2<----Big Thumb

I second that. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Emma's Dad
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
So.... was discussing this convention with DW last night while sipping on some adult beverages... and was able to talk her into starting the planning process to attend this function! :cool1::cool1: All I had to do was point out all the things her and DD could be doing while the guys are meeting. I suddenly felt my wallet taking a direct hit... :lmao::lmao:
She was especially intrigued about staying at WL popcorn:: (Me, too!)

AJRitz
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
My group services contact says I should have a contract to sign Emailed to me by tomorrow, so we're forging ahead. Pretty soon, we'll need to take these discussions over to disdads.com. I don't want to step on any toes over here.

Emma's Dad
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
My group services contact says I should have a contract to sign Emailed to me by tomorrow, so we're forging ahead. Pretty soon, we'll need to take these discussions over to disdads.com. I don't want to step on any toes over here.

Sounds good! I'll have to participate after work hours since the firewall blocks disdads.com. Thanks for heading this up, Aaron! :thumbsup2

theduck619
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM

Good job Aaron:thumbsup2

AJRitz
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Here's the official announcement - the discussion should probably move over there at this point.

DisDads Convention - January 10-14, 2013 (http://disdads.com/archives/2356)

cj9200
01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Here's the official announcement - the discussion should probably move over there at this point.

DisDads Convention - August 10-14, 2013 (http://disdads.com/archives/2356)

Aaron,

You need to change the header to January 10-14. Confused me at first. Also, I think general discussion can also happen here. If you want to use the Dis Dad site for the group reservation, that makes sense.

AJRitz
01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Aaron,

You need to change the header to January 10-14. Confused me at first. Also, I think general discussion can also happen here. If you want to use the Dis Dad site for the group reservation, that makes sense.

Oops - not sure how that happened. I'll fix that.

As for discussion, I just want to tread gently here. We'll see how it goes.

DisDadDoc
01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Oops - not sure how that happened. I'll fix that.

As for discussion, I just want to tread gently here. We'll see how it goes.

I'll change the heading on the thread (treading gently)

cj9200
01-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Suggested rules of the game.

Any discussion on room sharing or booking reservations should not be here. More appropriate to the Dis Dad and FB sites. General discussion including meet ups, overall banter and planning could be on all three.

Lots of discussions by various groups about meeting up and planning events occur all over the boards and this one would be appropriate. There will hopefully be a charitable element to the meet and our charity in the past was Give Kids the World. The Board owners are very supportive of that cause and would not have a problem with us discussing it here.

I don't think we need to change the name of the thread but my name isn't on the first post. I would like to keep the discussion going here because as the mother site, more traffic is generated here. The other sites are more appropriate for other discussions mentioned above.

Just my thoughts.

twokids0204
01-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Any discussion on room sharing or booking reservations should not be here. More appropriate to the Dis Dad and FB sites. General discussion including meet ups, overall banter and planning could be on all three.

Lots of discussions by various groups about meeting up and planning events occur all over the boards and this one would be appropriate. There will hopefully be a charitable element to the meet and our charity in the past was Give Kids the World. The Board owners are very supportive of that cause and would not have a problem with us discussing it here.

I don't think we need to change the name of the thread but my name isn't on the first post. I would like to keep the discussion going here because as the mother site, more traffic is generated here. The other sites are more appropriate for other discussions mentioned above.

Just my thoughts.

Agreed. :thumbsup2

theduck619
01-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Just my thoughts.

I agree as well :thumbsup2

DisDadDoc
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Just my thoughts.

Okay! :thumbsup2

I can't figure out how to change the title from my iPhone anyway!

DisneyDadC
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Are you saying I might get a Trip tracker in my sig soon?:banana::dance3::yay::banana::dance3::cool1:: cool1::cool1::cool1:

cj9200
01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Thought I posted this earlier but it didn't show up.

Aaron posted a poll on possible events. If you haven't voted yet go to http://disdads.com/archives/2359 and post your thoughts.

Thanks Aaron for putting up the poll.

FreezinRafiki
02-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Well, well, well. That was interesting. Bambi asks me tonight "so, are we going in January?" Turns out our friend is thinking about running the marathon as well. Nothing is set in stone yet, but this is a good sign...

Emma's Dad
02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, well, well. That was interesting. Bambi asks me tonight "so, are we going in January?" Turns out our friend is thinking about running the marathon as well. Nothing is set in stone yet, but this is a good sign...

Here's your sign :thumbsup2 (thumb)

AJRitz
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM

What a wonderful idea your dear wife has there! :woohoo:

theduck619
02-14-2012, 09:16 PM

A frozen monkey would add a lot to the party :thumbsup2

that's nice
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Great. Now I have to go. Maybe I can get Melody on board if I whine and plead... '...but Barry & Bambi are going....' :rolleyes:

DisDadDoc
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM

:thumbsup2

stopher1
02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Great. Now I have to go. Maybe I can get Melody on board if I whine and plead... '...but Barry & Bambi are going....' :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

cj9200
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM

So are you going to run? Warning, no turbo charged vans allowed on the course. Would enjoy having you with us. Another warning, keep Bambi away from us. Fed is good at extracting information.

To make your case stronger, you should just say Bambi is going. If Melody asks if Barry is going with her, hem and haw a bit. Just kidding Barry.

DisneyDadC
02-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Falling to far on the charts, time for a bump.Need to see more tickers with these dates in them:thumbsup2

that's nice
02-22-2012, 08:08 AM
So are you going to run? Warning, no turbo charged vans allowed on the course. Would enjoy having you with us. Another warning, keep Bambi away from us. Fed is good at extracting information.
Are you going to answer this question Barry? popcorn::

To make your case stronger, you should just say Bambi is going. If Melody asks if Barry is going with her, hem and haw a bit. Just kidding Barry.

Great plan! ::yes::

FreezinRafiki
02-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Are you going to answer this question Barry? popcorn::

You know, Tim, you sure do talk a lot of smack for someone who's not running.

that's nice
02-22-2012, 08:44 AM

I was just curious of your answer.... :surfweb:

I know you ran a 5k before. Big deal. That's like 3 miles or something. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

FreezinRafiki
02-22-2012, 09:12 AM

I know you ran a 5k before. Big deal. That's like 3 miles or something. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's 3.1 miles, thank you very much. Or in your vernacular "driving distance"

stopher1
02-22-2012, 09:18 AM

You nemesises are so funny to watch. :rotfl: :lmao:

You know, you'd never know it from my glorious physique, but I used to be a pretty good runner. I was on both the track & cross country teams in school - way back when. I'm sure I would have left you both in the dust, had we ever had the opportunity to run against each other. :rolleyes1 But alas, now I'm just old, fat and unmotivated to do such things.

We would have meets/races up in Lake Arrowhead - in the mountains, like Denver - a mile high. There's a road there called the "Rim of the World" - and part of the course went along that highway - higher mountain on one side - the valley on the other side. It was beautiful. The air at that elevation so clean and crisp - and cold too towards the end of the season. Late October/early November running as the snow was falling. Fun stuff!

But I've never run a marathon in my life. I've thought about it before, but never really had any inclination to do so. Perhaps someday... we have a nice enough Mini here in Indy that a good friend of mine runs every year. He's asked me to consider doing it with him, but I just don't know. He does the Chicago marathon each year.

But now I'm intrigued Barry - are you going to run? You've left us all hanging but once again answering through diversion, this time to Tim.

that's nice
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
It's 3.1 miles, thank you very much. Or in your vernacular "driving distance"
Oh, so I left off the .1 mile. Sue me.

Have you been brushing up on Northeast vocabulary? :confused3

You nemesises are so funny to watch. :rotfl: :lmao:
Barry is alway quick to dish out the abuse and no other DDC members ever fire back at him. It's like the rest of this group is scared of him or something. Someone has to stop him before he takes over the tri-state area.

You know, you'd never know it from my glorious physique, but I used to be a pretty good runner. I was on both the track & cross country teams in school - way back when. I'm sure I would have left you both in the dust, had we ever had the opportunity to run against each other.
So is this a challenge or something?
But alas, now I'm just old, fat and unmotivated to do such things.
Oh, I guess it wasn't. :hippie:

We would have meets/races up in Lake Arrowhead - in the mountains, like Denver - a mile high. There's a road there called the "Rim of the World" - and part of the course went along that highway - higher mountain on one side - the valley on the other side. It was beautiful. The air at that elevation so clean and crisp - and cold too towards the end of the season. Late October/early November running as the snow was falling. Fun stuff!
Pics or it didn't happen!!! :lmao::lmao:

But now I'm intrigued Barry - are you going to run? You've left us all hanging but once again answering through diversion, this time to Tim.
Yes Barry. Answer the man's question. popcorn::

FreezinRafiki
02-22-2012, 11:32 AM

That sounds cool! (Both meanings: "awesome" and "cold")

You know what, Tim? I will if you will.

stopher1
02-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Barry is alway quick to dish out the abuse and no other DDC members ever fire back at him.
::yes::

It's like the rest of this group is scared of him or something.

I'm not.

I even voluntarily went to dinner with him - away from the World, on his turf.

Someone has to stop him before he takes over the tri-state area.

Ok. No problem. I'll just have to make sure his supply of cheese balls is eliminated first...

[/quote]

Nah, just having a bit of fun talkin' smack myself. :rotfl:

So is this a challenge or something?

Oh, I guess it wasn't. :hippie:

See. Not at all.

Pics or it didn't happen!!! :lmao::lmao:

Well, now let's see... I'll have to pull out some old yearbooks - but um, I don't think I'll post those oh-so-attractive pics of me in dolphin shorts - you'll just get jealous of what I once looked like. :rotfl2:

We're still waiting there Barry...

AJRitz
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM

You guys know that there's a marathon relay option, right (two people each run a half-marathon)?

I'd bet we could turn that into a GKTW fundraising event - the rest of us Dads helping to collect sponsors for your relay run. Maybe make it a race -- you guys running the relay vs. Ryan running the regular Marahon.

Whaaddya say? :confused3

that's nice
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm not even allowed to leave the state let alone go to Florida to compete against you in a silly race. :lmao::lmao:

I even voluntarily went to dinner with him - away from the World, on his turf.
WOW! You are brave! :eek:

Ok. No problem. I'll just have to make sure his supply of cheese balls is eliminated first...
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/2549-1/excellent.jpg

Well, now let's see... I'll have to pull out some old yearbooks - but um, I don't think I'll post those oh-so-attractive pics of me in dolphin shorts - you'll just get jealous of what I once looked like.
LOL...

I guess I can rip my eyes out after I see it. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

that's nice
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
You guys know that there's a marathon relay option, right (two people each run a half-marathon)?
Never heard of that.

I'd bet we could turn that into a GKTW fundraising event - the rest of us Dads helping to collect sponsors for your relay run. Maybe make it a race -- you guys running the relay vs. Ryan running the regular Marahon.

Whaaddya say? :confused3
I can barely run a mile right now, let alone 13+... :headache:

Not a bad idea though. :idea: