PDA

View Full Version : Vistana vs. Bonnet Creek

BrerMama
12-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Family of 5, kids are 18, 16 and 12. We have reservations at Sheration Vistana for 11 nights starting June 15. I didn't think we could afford Bonnet Creek so I hadn't really looked into it, but I got a quote yesterday and it was $400 less than we'll pay at Vistana.

My dh likes the idea of a lazy river at BC. I like the idea of being right in the middle of everything (we're used to being on property at Disney and my kids are not happy that we're going off site, but they know we need the room now... Riverside just isn't going to work for us). So those are the pros for BC. However, the reviews seem to be mixed. My main concern is the reports that the rooms are looking a little worn.

Vistana is completely redone and brand new and I've never seen anything but excellent reviews.

Also in the plus side for BC is that dh would like to pay off our trip before we leave and we could do that by renting points at BC vs. doing the All Ears rate at Vistana.

Any opinions? I just can't make up my mind.

MissDaisyofTexas
12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
We stayed at Bonnet Creek last year and loved it! The pools are great. If it's cheaper, I say go for it!

JessLCH
12-21-2011, 08:14 AM
If you are concerned about "worn" rooms, get a quote for the newer and updated Presidential suites at WBC. That is what we did and it was not much more money at all than the regular rooms through vacationstrategy.com.

Brian Noble
12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
The oldest rooms at Bonnet opened in 2004. So, you might find a few threadbare items here or there, but they will hardly be in the condition that Vistana was pre-refurbishment. I last stayed at Bonnet in summer of '09, and Vistana (in a redone Fountains unit) February '10. They were more similar than different, and I prefer the location and resort amenities of Bonnet. I'd lean that way even if they were the same price, and the $400 savings makes it a no-brainer in my book.

bankr63
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
We love our Vistana, but $400 less is about half off the $800-$1000 that a 2BR at Vistana goes for. With a savings like that, it's a no-brainer!! Enjoy BC!

Big Kid
12-21-2011, 06:44 PM
We stayed at Bonnet Creek in September and loved everything about it save the lack of restaurants. There was a plumbing problem in our room, however, that required maintenance to come in. Lots of water was sprayed around, which made the carpet smelly the next day. We requested and received a carpet cleaning, which resolved the issue.

Other than that, I thought the room was in good shape and remarkably quiet. We'll definitely stay again.

haPevraftr
12-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I have plans to stay at both over the next year. I can't tell you as of yet which we prefer ;). While everyone is chatting about the pros (and more pros) of each, I would love to know (from those that have stayed at both), how do the planned organized activities (besides the types of pools) at each resort compare to one another. Maybe that will help in the decision for OP since she will be there for a long stay.

BrerMama
12-21-2011, 09:06 PM
We love our Vistana, but $400 less is about half off the $800-$1000 that a 2BR at Vistana goes for. With a savings like that, it's a no-brainer!! Enjoy BC!

The difference is about $35/night over 11 nights. I had decided BC due to the reviews here so I started reading the "We love BC" thread. There I read about timeshare hassles, annoying waits to check in and crowded pools... and now I'm back to being undecided. I know $385 sounds like a lot, but the huge savings for us is the savings vs. staying onsite (we're talking thousands less) and we'll spend the extra $400 to get somewhere where we know we'll be happy. I'm driving my family crazy, by the way.

Upatnoon
12-22-2011, 01:20 AM
The difference is about $35/night over 11 nights. I had decided BC due to the reviews here so I started reading the "We love BC" thread. There I read about timeshare hassles, annoying waits to check in and crowded pools... and now I'm back to being undecided. I know $385 sounds like a lot, but the huge savings for us is the savings vs. staying onsite (we're talking thousands less) and we'll spend the extra $400 to get somewhere where we know we'll be happy. I'm driving my family crazy, by the way.
We have friends always stayed at Vistana and enjoyed it. I told them about Bonnet Creek, they tried it, and they haven't been back to Vistana.

I think you will enjoy your stay at either place, but you will have a better location for Disney and $400 more in your pocket at BC.

Janet Hill
12-22-2011, 06:36 AM
There I read about timeshare hassles, annoying waits to check in and crowded pools... and now I'm back to being undecided.

We've stayed at both and I can safely say you can get all of the above at both.

swilshire
12-22-2011, 08:04 AM
We have stayed at both and neither have really annoying timeshare hassles. Just say no and move on.

Vistana has more activities and pools. It is an older resort, so the landscaping is more mature. More trees and shade. The units tend to have shade for the patio or balcony.

Bonnet Creek is a bit closer. You may get fireworks views. The view from the balcony may be of a parking lot.

I would be happy to go back to either one, but might choose Vistana if I was going to spend much time at the resort.

Sheila

Brian Noble
12-22-2011, 08:32 AM
We stayed at Bonnet Creek in September and loved everything about it save the lack of restaurants.
The Hilton/Waldorf have several, and are within walking distance unless you have mobility issues. The Wyndham hotel opened this past October in the same cluster as the timeshare towers, there are several more even closer still.

JimMIA
12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
...There I read about timeshare hassles, annoying waits to check in and crowded pools... and now I'm back to being undecided.There's a thread going on right now on the TUG Wyndham board about the "parking permit" silliness. The general consensus seems to be that a parking permit is not even necessary -- its sole purpose seems to be to get you to the body snatchers at the timeshare sales desk.

Many Wyndham owners skip the "parking permit" desk during checkin and return to the front desk at night when the body snatchers are gone to get their permit. Others don't bother at all.

Many also disconnect the phone in the room to avoid annoying calls. We have cell phones and anyone WE want to talk to will call us on our cells.

If you do go to the parking permit desk, just be advised that anything they try to get you to do is a sales presentation -- no matter what they call it. Sometimes they offer tours, sometimes owners updates, and if you decline those they'll ask you to take a survey. They're all captive-audience sales pitches.

brucerob62
12-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Family of 5, kids are 18, 16 and 12. We have reservations at Sheration Vistana for 11 nights starting June 15. I didn't think we could afford Bonnet Creek so I hadn't really looked into it, but I got a quote yesterday and it was $400 less than we'll pay at Vistana.

My dh likes the idea of a lazy river at BC. I like the idea of being right in the middle of everything (we're used to being on property at Disney and my kids are not happy that we're going off site, but they know we need the room now... Riverside just isn't going to work for us). So those are the pros for BC. However, the reviews seem to be mixed. My main concern is the reports that the rooms are looking a little worn.

Vistana is completely redone and brand new and I've never seen anything but excellent reviews.

Also in the plus side for BC is that dh would like to pay off our trip before we leave and we could do that by renting points at BC vs. doing the All Ears rate at Vistana.

Any opinions? I just can't make up my mind.

Choose BC... i checked in on a thursday..no hassles..and make sure when you stand in line to get your parking pass for your car...you check this lowest income level...and the timeshare sharks wont bother you..thats what I did..a beautiful place..pool not crowded at all..lazy river..and fireworks view of illumunations on 14th floor of tower 4..request it..cant go wrong....very well kept..and in the middle of disney..cant beat it..go for it

DavidNYC
12-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Just got back from our 2nd week-long stay at Bonnett Creek. Rented through Ken & Denise. We stayed on site for 10 years but now that we're travelling with twins and a nanny we wanted 3-bedrooms.

Gave a firm "no" to the sales pitch both times and never received a call. (This time we actually never even botherered with the parking pass). Stayed in both Tower 2 and Tower 6. Six definitely was "newer" but even Tower 2 compared favorable to your average moderate or deluxe Disney resort (not even taking into account the extra room, kitchen, etc.). And the property is beautiful. We actually prefer the view looking at the lake and fountains than the park/fireworks view. We're in the parks all day - we like the serene view overnight.

And you're really right in the middle of Disney - you never have to leave the property. I think the location and the lesser expense makes it a no-brainer. Even if Visitana is a bit "newer", think of it as a difference between and 8 and 9 on a scale of 10 at most (and I think the other benefits of Bonnett Creek make it that much more attractive.