PDA

View Full Version : Residence Inn Maingate or better option for family of 6?

icecreamforbreakfast
12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi,

We are planning a trip for May 2012. We are a family of 6 with kids ages 6 - 14. We booked a room in the Residence Inn and are wondering if anyone has any comments about it. We really like the idea of a full kitchen - any comments about that part of it? Also, how long does it take to walk to Disney? I've read that it's not walkable, but if you are walking all day ... there must be some who walk there.

Is there hotels that you like better that would suit 6 and offer a kitchen?

Malcon10t
12-21-2011, 12:21 AM
We love Residence Inn Maingate. It is our go-to hotel. Not sure what room you have booked. The rooms are good sized and we love the full kitchen. We usually book a 1 bedroom, sometimes the 2 bedroom. You would probably be best suited to the Penthouse, which has a bedroom upstairs and one downstairs. Upstairs is a king bed and bath, downstairs is 2 queens and a bath. There is also a family room (with a sofa sleeper) and a nice kitchen.

A 1 bedroom has 1 bedroom with 2 queens and a soda sleeper.

The back of the facility has a nice playyard for younger kids. And the pool is open 24 hours (but does require quiet) and there is a basketball/tennis court!

Finally, the full breakfast really helps save a few bucks. And don't forget they will grocery shop for you. Order by 830am, adn they will have it in your suite, put away, by 2pm.

Eeee-va
12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Double post

Eeee-va
12-21-2011, 12:23 AM
I've never stayed there but it appears several reviews on TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d75726-Reviews-Residence_Inn_Anaheim_Maingate-Anaheim_California.html) call it "walkable." It looks about as far as the Red Lion (maybe slightly longer). The Red Lion is walkable (a few people will say it's not, but most are cool with it). But if you hit the parks hard and take mid-afternoon breaks the Red Lion MAY be a slightly tiring walk (perhaps more than a bit for your kids). So I would think the Residence Inn would be similar.

If the weather is warm, I find walks a lot less pleasant. You are probably OK in May, though. If you're going when hours are short and NOT taking mid-afternoon breaks, I would think the walk would be just fine. Taking a break will make it a bit more difficult because you'll be making the walk 4 times instead of twice... but if you're all good at walking, could still be doable.

I will say, the staff's overenthusiastic (and in rare occasions, self-righteous) responses to the reviews are creeping me out a bit. :flower3: But that shouldn't be an issue unless you write a review on TripAdvisor.

Have a great trip, wherever you stay!

Malcon10t
12-21-2011, 12:27 AM
As for walking, it is doable, its about a 15 min walk, but we usually use ART. It picks up at building 6.

blackjackdelta
12-21-2011, 09:29 AM
For our family it is an easy walk of maybe 10 minutes walking time. The 6 of us have stayed there a few times and have had no complaints and we love the grocery shopping.

Jack

icecreamforbreakfast
12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) We have booked a one bedroom suite for $161 a night, do you think it will get cheaper closer to the date? Not sure how far in advance we should book, but this reservation is refundable so we went with it for now.

Also, anyone know whether you can use a slow-cooker in the suite? I thought it would be great to throw it in at breakfast time and come back for a late dinner. :cool1:

LisainCalifornia
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
If you find a better deal at that particular hotel, they will adjust your rate. This is not only true with the Residence Inn Maingate--but with any reputable hotel. I always book way ahead at the DL resort hotels, and constantly check the rates. When they drop, I call and they adjust them for me. This is typical for any hotel, pretty much.

Have a great trip!

JonKPest
12-21-2011, 10:12 PM
We have stayed at Main Gate several times. It is a 8/10 of a mile walk from the lobby to the DL turnstile. Great place to stay!!! We always bring our dogs with us and Residence Inn is Pet Friendly.

JonK

miss.potatohead
12-21-2011, 11:06 PM
We stayed there in the Bi-Level Penthouse loft, which was great. The kids slept in the two queen beds 'down stairs' and my parents up in the king in the loft. It provided lots of privacy and space, and the included breakfast was a welcomed feature. The walk is nothing, even after hours at the park it took us 10mins top to get there and most time is spent waiting at the traffic lights! Definitely recommend it.

specialks
12-21-2011, 11:48 PM
About the booking...
Try asking them (front desk direct line - not 800 number) if they have a AAA rate or Entertainment card rate. If that saves you a bit each night, it might pay for itself (if you aren't already members/book owners).

icecreamforbreakfast
12-28-2011, 12:50 AM
About the booking...
Try asking them (front desk direct line - not 800 number) if they have a AAA rate or Entertainment card rate. If that saves you a bit each night, it might pay for itself (if you aren't already members/book owners).

Thanks for the advice, we did get the AAA rate online - we are CAA members (from Canada), I am assuming we can use that rate. Do you think if I called it could possibly be even better then their online rate? :confused3