PDA

View Full Version : Old DVC Members!

sandieb
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
OK - I am 62 and hubby is 68. We bought into DVC in 2002 and love going and taking our grandchildren. However, it has become so difficult to hoof around the parks! I had to take 2 maximum strength Tylenol before we would leave for the parks just to make it through it. Feet, hips, back etc hurt after a couple hours. I am worried that we won't be able to continue in the future. I am miserable at the thought of selling our DVC. Have any of you experienced this issue? How are you coping? Do you plan to sell?

Shoot - I thought 60 was the new 50, but tell that to my body!

Simba's Mom
12-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Boy, I'm right there with ya! Although I'm a few months shy of 60, tell that to my arthritic body this morning. I have to bring a whole kit of supplies, it seems, to "survive" WDW-heating pad, icy-hot cream and patches, etc. Although selling is the furthest thing from our minds, I find that spending lots more time reading around the pool, staying around the resort is better. It helps that the DVC resorts are so beautifully themed. My fondest memory from our most recent trip wasn't in the parks, but the afternoon I spent reading on the couch in the Solarium, listening to the music and people watching. My back appreciated it too!

culli
12-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I own the DVC but my Mom goes more than we do, she will be spending 3 weeks in January. She is 68 and we get her a scooter, it took her awhile to open up to the idea. However, she loves it now and it makes a world of difference with her enjoyment. She doesn't need to take it on rides or everywhere but it is required to go around the parks.

May not be the best option for your situation but my Mom absolutley loves it - provides her the freedom of getting around anywhere without having to "pay the Piper" at the end of the day.

keishashadow
12-09-2011, 11:31 AM
OP i find motrin to work better;). Family joke is the only thing that motivates me to step upon my treadmill is trips to disney.

suggestions:

*I take extra care of my feet (swapping out shoes every other day, supportive shoes and extra cushioned socks changed twice a day) makes a world of difference.

*try to keep moving, even when standing in line, don't lock in your legs

*slow down & take a break every couple of hours (extend those bathroom & snack breaks to allow you to get off your feet for 10 - 15 minutes)

*split the day, insist on that afternoon break back @ the resort.

mouseaider
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I know how you feel. We've really tried to keep this from happening to us. :scared1:

I'm 61 and my DW is just a little younger, but we try to keep in great shape. We eat right and walk two miles a day. And yes.... I'm a little overweight but working on that..... kind of. :rolleyes1

I'm very active and I wouldn't think of letting anyone mow my lawn or clear my driveway of snow.

My best tip for you is keep very active and do as much as your Doctor..... and body..... allow you to do.

Then you will stay in "Disney" shape, as we like to call it. ;)

Good luck and I hope you never decide to sell what gives you so much pleasure. :grouphug:

sandieb
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I know how you feel. We've really tried to keep this from happening to us. :scared1:

I'm 61 and my DW is just a little younger, but we try to keep in great shape. We eat right and walk two miles a day. And yes.... I'm a little overweight but working on that..... kind of. :rolleyes1

I'm very active and I wouldn't think of letting anyone mow my lawn or clear my driveway of snow.

My best tip for you is keep very active and do as much as your Doctor..... and body..... allow you to do.

Good luck and I hope you never decide to sell what gives you so much pleasure. :grouphug:

You are absolutely right! I have a good friend in South Carolina (we live in Maryland) who also loves Disney. Both of us are trying to maintain our health through exercise and healthy eating. I am sure it helps, but good grief, by the end of a park day I am wasted!

Sandie

sandieb
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
OP i find motrin to work better;). Family joke is the only thing that motivates me to step upon my treadmill is trips to disney.

suggestions:

*I take extra care of my feet (swapping out shoes every other day, supportive shoes and extra cushioned socks changed twice a day) makes a world of difference.

*try to keep moving, even when standing in line, don't lock in your legs

*slow down & take a break every couple of hours (extend those bathroom & snack breaks to allow you to get off your feet for 10 - 15 minutes)

*split the day, insist on that afternoon break back @ the resort.

Great ideas! One of the other things we do is to alternate a park day with a fishing/pool day or Typhoon Lagoon day . Itt is usually 2 park days, then one off day.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a whiner, but it all changes as we have gotten older. Maybe down the road we will consider using a scooter (my husband more than me), but I really dread that! It sort of confirms I am OLD!)

Deb & Bill
12-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm 61 and Bill is 58. I just got my second knee replacement (osteoarthritis) and I'm looking forward to running around the parks on our next trip.

On our last trip, the Casey Anthony trial was on TV, so I watched that a lot.

We go for a short time in the morning (maybe two or three hours), head back to the resort for a nap and/or swim, then head back about again about five for dinner at a park. When our 18 year old son is along with us, he and Bill stay out for EMH, usually until park closing. We'll enjoy staying at the resort, taking walks, swimming, etc.

Have your one and only kid at 43 and you stay young. :rotfl:

Bill started running marathons about eight years ago (he had a stroke at 29 from a car accident that shattered his right tibia). That keeps him young.

mkarizona
12-09-2011, 05:31 PM

Ibuprofen(ie motrin, etc) is the best for inflammation, but for the ache of arthritis I prefer the 8 hour arthritis tylenol (generic of course).

Figment2
12-09-2011, 06:02 PM
60 years old, two knee replacements and both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis here. Bayer Back and Body Pain is my staple (although I do have heavy duty prescription drugs when it gets really bad).

We have a large older group that travels together (except for a couple of youngsters under 40, most of us are between 50 & 70). We will walk for awhile and then find someplace to sit and rest. Our favorite places to reconnoiter are Liberty Inn at the American Pavillion or the area behind the bakery in Norway.

We also enjoy going for an early lunch or breakfast at other resorts.

The one park I spend very little time at is Animal Kingdom. I find walking there very difficult. Some of our group really enjoy AK but will only go for a couple of hours and then go back to the resort to rest. I'd rather spend time at AK Lodge or Kidani. Nothing like sitting at one of the outlooks in Kidani and watching the animals with drink in hand.

As far as scooter use, I was in one ALOT prior to my knee replacements. It was so much easier for me to keep up with everyone. I finally talked one of my friends into a wheelchair this past October. I reminded her it wasn't for her but for the rest of us. She's on chemo pills and was miserable after walking short distances. The wheelchair conserved her strength and gave us peace of mind. Just something to think about...

Cyn

OrangeCountyCommuter
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Training...

My 70 plus year old mother can walk me into the ground.

She walks daily NOT just at Disney....,

keishashadow
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Great ideas! One of the other things we do is to alternate a park day with a fishing/pool day or Typhoon Lagoon day . Itt is usually 2 park days, then one off day.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a whiner, but it all changes as we have gotten older. Maybe down the road we will consider using a scooter (my husband more than me), but I really dread that! It sort of confirms I am OLD!)

whoever coined the golden years phrase had quite the sense of humor:laughing:. I'm with you though, it's not quite how I had expected but i'm happy enouch to keep plugging away.

that's a good idea with the 2 on, 1 off idea. We tend to do split trips in a week, sometimes moving twice. I'm pretty sure those days will pass soon, easier to pick a base camp and then go forth.

LPnerd
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
we enjoy vero beaach. It's so peaceful and the ocean is beautiful. also, don't forget you can go all over the world with those points. not just disney world!

Shih-Tzu
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
We are 50's & 60's and are part of the Rice Krispie club (we snap, crackle and pop):) I notice our last trip that we got tired more easily and tended to do the parks in the morning and night and spent the afternoon at the pool/napping/reading.......
Along with my DH, I take my best friend - Alieve (naproxin) and Tylenol Extra Strength. I also find that the hot tub helps - especially last thing at night after the parks...
I'm a little worried right now about our upcoming trip, but once we get into the warmer climate, the joints may "un-seize" a little.
BTW - they call it the golden age because you need a lot of gold to pay for the patches/meds/shoe insoles, etc.:rotfl:

dianeschlicht
12-09-2011, 09:35 PM
We're right there with you! DH has bad knees and hips, and he has had increasingly more difficulty every trip. I haven't gotten that bad yet, but I do have the back and foot issues when we have been here for awhile. I guess we'll just have to stay longer to see and do everything we want to do.

Sammie
12-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I highly recommend regular Spa treatments while there. :goodvibes

genmasjoy
12-10-2011, 07:12 AM
I find this thread interesting. DH and I bought at OKW in 1995 when our son was 12. Now he's 28 and we are 58 and 71. We do find we have slowed down, but we still enjoy Disney although no longer do we go commando style. On our last trip, we spent time at Downtown Disney and taking a nap before going to the Magic Kingdom Christmas party. It broke up the day. The next day, we went to Epcot for the food and wine festival - arrrived at 9 and left at 3. We still enjoy ourselves, but about six hours is our maximum time at the parks. We have also enjoyed HH, Vero Beach, DCL, and the Concierge Collection for a change of pace.

a742246
12-10-2011, 07:15 AM
I use the hot tub first thing in the morning, followed by the steam room, and
cap it off with the sauna. Then my body is up to anything for the next 12 hours. At night I usually take 1 or 2 Advil. So far so good but each year we slow down just a bit.

sandieb
12-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Training...

My 70 plus year old mother can walk me into the ground.

She walks daily NOT just at Disney....,

Yes! Daily walking is important (and enjoyable). Unforturnately, some of us older folks have developed health issues that limit the amount of exercise our bodies tolerate - often arthritis or foot problems.

In the day I bicycled centuries, hiked 10 mile + with lots of elevation change, etc. This lasted until about 50 years old. Since then it is pain, not the will to participate, that limits activities - not so much early on, but more over the last couple years.

Since this is a DVC thread, I guess when we bought it was with the idea we would use it through our retirement years. It is a wake up call when we started to struggle walking the Disney parks. Thanks for the great suggestions, and it is great to know there are others with similar issues.

joksten2000
12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
We are 69 & 68 and can't spend hours in the parks. We decided to spend our winters in Florida and go to the parks three or four times a week for a couple of hours at a time. The grand kids come down and we try to stay in the parks for three hours with them. Our points are now used for cruising. We buy annual passes every year

LindaBabe
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I have fibro - Started using an ecv for Disney about 10 years ago, otherwise, I couldn't go. At home, I work out 4 days a week at the gym and pool. I can do my groceries or one floor of the mall. But Disney? There's no way.

Even with an ecv, though, 6 hours is about my limit. Constant vigilance is required because people don't see anthing that isn't on their agenda. Wait times for everything from buses to rides can be longer than when afoot, it's true, especially as more ecv's are in use.

However, without it, my day would be done by the time I walked up from the bus stop.

Also, the generic 650 mg arthritis strenght at Walmart works great!

LindaBabe
12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I have fibro - Started using an ecv for Disney about 10 years ago, otherwise, I couldn't go. At home, I work out 4 days a week at the gym and pool. I can do my groceries or one floor of the mall. But Disney? There's no way.

Even with an ecv, though, 6 hours is about my limit. Constant vigilance is required because people don't see anthing that isn't on their agenda. Wait times for everything from buses to rides can be longer than when afoot, it's true, especially as more ecv's are in use.

However, without it, my day would be done by the time I walked up from the bus stop.

Also, the generic 650 mg arthritis strenght at Walmart works great!

Candace
12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I was there Nov 29th til Dec 6th. This is my first year as a retiree, and I was so excited to be able to go during that week (taught school for 30 years)! Well, my first day there I spent 7 hours at Epcot and the next morning I could hardly get out of bed! My ankles and shins were killing me! I did not go back to a park for several days. Thank goodness, as a member, I do not do the commando thing anymore. (Not that I ever did, really). I am 61, and I don't walk daily as I once did. Maybe I need to start back!

sandieb
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
You guys are great! I bought some Tylenol for arthitis and feel wonderful. I try not to take pills but will use this when I get too achey.
Thanks!

Poppin
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
We will be 60 pretty soon. Tylenol Arthritis is my friend. Ibuprofen is DH's friend. But as others have mentioned, at our age, it is really important to keep your weight down and do both aerobic and strength exercises. I want to be able to hop in and out of roller coasters til I'm 90 !!!! :cool1: (Now if I could only lose those damn 15 lbs that snuck up on me............)

Norm1
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
What a great thread. I am 64 and DW is 63. Just came back from DW yesterday. We were with the kids and grandkids and pretty much kept up with them most of the week. On the last day we took off on our own and spent some alone time without the kids. We were very relaxed at a much slower pace. While we walked we talked about everything mentioned here such as scooters, pain relievers, knee replacements, etc. We even wondered when the time comes will the kids take us to DW as we have taken them so many times. We haven't got any firm commitments yet. LOL

chainkid
12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't try to fight it any longer . The last three trips were alot of fun and i lasted much longer than usual because of my scooter. I had two hip replacements this year and still need a double knee replacement so i know what it is like to be limited by pain. I am not overweight and swim daily at home to keep my joints flexible but at 61 , I have to live with that but I only take pain meds as a rare last resort because of stomach issues. I never gave it a second thought once my arthritis started to limit my life. i want to enjoy every minute of my disney trips and the scooter is a blessing for me. I Don't suffer. I will often let my hubby ride the scooter so i can get out and walk and believe me he is more than happy to rest his aching legs. He is too proud to get one for himself so my feeling is let him suffer and suffer he does. I choose to leave the aleve in the medicine chest. I can't walk more than a couple of miles at home without experiencing severe pain and swelling so going to disney where you can walk 5 miles or more per day is a no brainer..get a scooter.

Mickey'sApprentice
12-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm only 42 and have trouble walking, but I do it !!!

I finally figured out that I have plantars fascitis, over pronate, and have a strange gait from being born with hip dysplasia.

I had my first pain free trip ever in September, and started going to Disney on my honeymoon at age 23.

SEE A PODIATRIST!!

The other thing is that you can still enjoy Disney and be in some pain. Its just a different trip. I'm not afraid to find a bench, use the fast pass system, and plan my days around crowds. The worst thing for me is parades and fireworks. At some point you just decide to sit on the ground. I ruined a pair of white pants sitting on the ground. I've now found a great new use for my used rain ponchos.

Also...there is no shame in getting an ECV.

El&Asmom
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I am 36, training for my first Disney marathon and I do triathlons all summer. Even though I'm in good shape, when I'm at Disney my body hurts by the end of the day! There is just something different about walking around and being on your feet all day standing in lines.
I say don't ever sell. My grandma was in great shape until she passed in her mid 90s. I remember walking to town with her when I was a young teen and having to chase her when she was in her late 70s.

I always cherish every minute at Disney no matter what we're doing. Whether it's sitting around the pool, walking the parks, running the paths WL and Fort Wilderness, or even sitting on a bus or monorail. It's my happy place. Enjoy it as long as you can, even if you spend less time running through the parks.

M5ward
12-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm 65 and my husband is 67 ( we're in the four month period where he is 2 years older than me :). Because of multiple health issues, he has had to rely on an ECV for the past couple of years; he could never maneuver the parks without it. I walk on a daily basis at home, and that certainly helps doing the parks at WDW but..the knees are aching...a lot. Ihad the Supartz shots in both knees this past summer, and got pretty good relief in my right knee but the left one still bothers me. For our trip this past fall, I wore a brace on my left knee that really gave good support. We usually start by 10 and spend the whole day in the park sometimes staying for the fireworks. Yes, I ache, especially the first couple of days, and always pack my trusty heating pad. I switch shoes every other day, make sure I stay well hydrated, and always have Aleve and Tylenol with me. As the day goes on, I loosen up but we take breaks to sit on a bench and people- watch ( sometimes enjoying an adult beverage during the break.)
We take a more relaxed approach now which I think our kids appreciate. We bought into DVC in 2006 with the intention of enjoying trips with our children and grandchildren. We were pretty commando the first couple of years, but necessity has slowed us down. Traveling with the ECV makes my husband kind of invisible, so we have to be extra careful not to run into the people who stop short or cross directly in front of the scooter.
We absolutely love our trips to the World and sharing the magic with our five kids and their families. We also love our "alone" trips where there are no must- do's. *

GraceDVC
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
We purchased in 1995 and have changed our Disney mode somewhat now that we are 68 and 70. We now visit mostly in warm weather and focus on relaxation and pampering ourselves by getting up later and having a sit-down breakfast around 9:30 or 10 a.m. at our hotel or another hotel. After an enjoyable breakfast, we head back to our hotel and go to the pool area, find an umbrella table if available, and read a newspaper or magazine. We eventually go in the pool to get some light exercise, then relax on a chaise to take in the glorious Florida sun, and then we usually go back in the pool for awhile. By then we look forward to a cool drink and a light snack by the pool. Afterwards, we return to our room, shower and dress for our late afternoon excursion into one of the parks, or Downtown Disney area, where we spend a couple of hours. We then head to our dinner reservation, and later return to our hotel area to walk around the grounds, lake, boardwalk area, etc. until we feel like returning to our room. A little TV time before bedtime and we call it a day -- a well spent, relaxing Disney day!

dmoore22
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM

I had back surgery about ten years ago. The neurologist and physical therapist gave me a ritual of exercises to follow on a daily basis. It makes all the difference in the world. If I skip a day then I'm miserable. Also having the right shoes makes a big difference. It took me awhile to find a pair that allows me to maintain my stamina without pain. Ironically what worked for me was not an expensive hi-tech pair of shoes but the good old stand-by PF Flyers. Plus I pace myself. I'll get a margarita at the Mexico kiosk before walking to Norway. There I'll have a Viking Coffee before heading to China for a mango gingerita. Then the long hike to Germany for a refreshing Spaten Oktoberfest. Then, while my DW is shopping in Italy I'll have something in a plastic champagne glass because, by that time, I really remember very little, other than . . . No Pain!

Greysword
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
It is going to be awesome when it comes time to ride a scooter at WDW! Of course if I were able to bring my own, I might modify it a bit, such as adding a cow catcher on the front to "plow the road" per se :lmao:

Maybe something like this would work

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4537/tankchairnb9.jpg

For rope drop?

http://static1.beanscdn.co.uk/modules/ems-v2/article/featured/colin_furze_on_his_mobility_scooter_geoffrey_robin sonrex.jpg.jpg

gotta get those fast passes!! :rotfl:

If you are staying off site...

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/03/Pensioner_On_Freeway.jpg

Sometimes the lines are so long, it is difficult to decide whether to leave for a potty break or just try and hold it... fear not!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j-n7qKGmgQM/Rlb2GBLkOOI/AAAAAAAAAUI/gp8G5gPQoNw/s320/SeniorScooter.jpg

I'm a fan of the idea of leaving in the afternoon for a nap and rest in your room. However, why even leave the park at all?

http://newsliteimgs.s3.amazonaws.com/110419_caravan1.jpg

Just slide up to the lake, castle, or where ever and take a quick nap while watching the Disney Channel

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-W_FFy2YcW-4/TcAnJadmKjI/AAAAAAAAeHY/XYVjV40aiSE/s1600/QTvan-small-caravan-3.jpg

Yep, can't wait to use a scooter at WDW! :thumbsup2

DisneyFreaks
12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
I am really enjoying this thread. DH and I are both 63 and now realize we have to do WDW at a whole new pace. We simply cannot keep up with the kids and grandkids anymore. Due to back and knee issues I can no longer walk for such long periods of time. It was so hard to accept the help of that wheelchair and scooter but they sure do make my trips enjoyable again.

dmoore22
12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
As I reread this thread it occurred to me can we really call ourselves "old" as long as we are younger than Mick Jagger and Keith Richards? :goodvibes

Buzzsgramma
12-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Have owned DVC since 2000..BWV....i am 65 & DH turned 70 in Sept..our health is good.....we just returned from a wk in WDW at Thanksgiving...there were 13 family members.
We have been taking the kids now 43 and 45 and the grand kids now 22,18,15,16, & 14 since they were very small..
They know the drill so we dont have to lead them everywhere...we start out all together & after lunch DH and I head back to the resort...We all met for dinner at Boma's,Ohana's,Teppan Edo, & Kozzunia's..
We have always let the families have their space...if they want to go to dinner or a park ...fine if not they make their own choice.
I cant tell you how much we have enjoyed our time together over the years..We are happy we have a resort for the family to enjoy...
DH & I usually go down in Jan. for 2 wks. to escape the cold of northern Ill.

Inkmahm
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Ths is a great thread. DH is 52 and I'm 53. We just got back from WDW last night.

I have arthritis in both knees and the doc is talking about knee replacements. My mom has already had both of hers replaced and unfortunately, I've inherited her bad knees.

I can't take any NSAIDS at all although they help the knees when I cheat. I have prescribed Vicodin to help with the pain. I would rather take the NSAIDS, they actually help more.

I have had shots in both knees of Synvisc as well as cortisone shots. I have a compounded jelly of drugs for my knees that include NSAIDS which helped on this recent trip. I think I will keep using it.

On this trip, we didn't do the parks commando style. Only one day was a really long one being at Epcot for about 13 hours. On that day, I used a scooter. Other days, I just walked slowly and took a lot of breaks. It works for us. I'm not sure what we'll do in Spring when we have family with us. I don't think the nieces will want to walk as slowly as Auntie Inkmahm needs to walk. I could get a scooter for each day but I really don't want to if I can make it walking.

As with some of the earlier posts, we also take care of our feet. I use Glide to avoid blisters and army foot powder to absorb sweat. We also rotate shoes. Usually two different pair in a day. DH takes 4 pairs of shoes for a 1 week trip so that he can rotate between days easily. I think the shoe rotation helps the most out of anything we do at WDW.

mouseaider
12-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I had back surgery about ten years ago. The neurologist and physical therapist gave me a ritual of exercises to follow on a daily basis. It makes all the difference in the world. If I skip a day then I'm miserable. Also having the right shoes makes a big difference. It took me awhile to find a pair that allows me to maintain my stamina without pain. Ironically what worked for me was not an expensive hi-tech pair of shoes but the good old stand-by PF Flyers. Plus I pace myself. I'll get a margarita at the Mexico kiosk before walking to Norway. There I'll have a Viking Coffee before heading to China for a mango gingerita. Then the long hike to Germany for a refreshing Spaten Oktoberfest. Then, while my DW is shopping in Italy I'll have something in a plastic champagne glass because, by that time, I really remember very little, other than . . . No Pain!
We HAVE GOT to meet at WDW sometime. :woohoo:

I think we'd do well touring Epcot. :lmao:

But you forgot my new favorite.... the Grand Marnier Slushy in France! :thumbsup2

sandieb
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
As I reread this thread it occurred to me can we really call ourselves "old" as long as we are younger than Mick Jagger and Keith Richards? :goodvibes

Actually, a lot of the time I don't feel like a grown-up. Not that I am into perpetual youth (I could never do the late 1960s again - my brain is fried enough). Anyway, the only part of me that really feels 62 is my right hip and feet. Other than that, and wanting to be in bed at 9pm, I feel good to go!

mecllap
12-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I bought my DVC points mainly because I'm getting older. Staying comfortably on-site at least for part of the visit (we also still stay off-site for some of our days) will make things easier for me. Don't have to all travel together in the car (or bus) -- we can split up and be on separate schedules as needed. For the last trip, I took along a rollator/walker, which was a big help on days we stayed longer in a park. It helps support me, has a basket to carry stuff in, allows me to sit when needed, occasionally served as a table, etc. It also offers access to some of the "handicap" services, which gave me an introduction to that, and was sometimes helpful (sometimes not -- some things take longer, or you end up seated further away).

And it's pleasant just to hang around the resort, (I'm planning to stay at OKW mostly as my mobility issues get worse, for its larger balconies), fix food in the room, etc.

Love those pics of the mobility devices (really want the one with the built-in potty)!

dmoore22
12-14-2011, 10:11 PM
We HAVE GOT to meet at WDW sometime. :woohoo:

I think we'd do well touring Epcot. :lmao:

But you forgot my new favorite.... the Grand Marnier Slushy in France! :thumbsup2

I have that between the Casa in Morocco and the Imperial Sampler at the Rose and Crown!:drinking1

dmoore22
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Actually, a lot of the time I don't feel like a grown-up. Not that I am into perpetual youth (I could never do the late 1960s again - my brain is fried enough). Anyway, the only part of me that really feels 62 is my right hip and feet. Other than that, and wanting to be in bed at 9pm, I feel good to go!

As Jack Benny said, "Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. "

mikron
12-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Know what you mean. At 70 our last trip this pass November to the fort we rented a golf cart for the first time in 20 years going to the fort. Crowds seemed bigger and we know they were not.

Gemini7
12-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the AFVC (Armed Forces Vacation Club?) I've been wondering whether it is worth pursuing rather than the Disney Vacation Club.

Hopefully
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
I am 62 with arthritis and asthma, both of which slow me down. DH is 63 and fit as a fiddle - no slowing down there. On our last trip this fall we were alone. I did find that our days were shorter than in the past.
I take NSAIDS to keep going.
I worry about the next trip with the kids, I don't know if I can keep up or not

dmoore22
12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the AFVC (Armed Forces Vacation Club?) I've been wondering whether it is worth pursuing rather than the Disney Vacation Club.

Official Link
http://www.afvclub.com/main.taf?002=2268332&004=458101796&005=4006532554&006=372068438&009=e&011=armed%20forces%20vacation%20club&mkwid=e9SRf8XTM&pcrid=372068438&pmt=e&mkw=armed%20forces%20vacation%20club&ID1=RCI+-+Armed+Forces+Vacation+Club+-+Branded&ID2=armed%20forces%20vacation%20club&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=armed%20forces%20vacation%20club&utm_campaign=RCI+-+Armed+Forces+Vacation+Club+-+Branded

appleorchard
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm 61 and DH is 65. He had a liver transplant 4 years ago and has used an ECV since, mainly because of osteoporosis. I still go commando (my daughter snickers every time I say that) basically from morning until late night, almost always walk to and from BWV to Epcot rather than taking the bus. I've had foot surgery and one knee bothers me and I'm overweight, but I'll walk it as long as I can! Something comes over me in Disney. I suddenly have more energy than I do at home--there's no logical explanation for it!

sandieb
12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm 61 and DH is 65. He had a liver transplant 4 years ago and has used an ECV since, mainly because of osteoporosis. I still go commando (my daughter snickers every time I say that) basically from morning until late night, almost always walk to and from BWV to Epcot rather than taking the bus. I've had foot surgery and one knee bothers me and I'm overweight, but I'll walk it as long as I can! Something comes over me in Disney. I suddenly have more energy than I do at home--there's no logical explanation for it!

It's called Pixie Dust!

LPnerd
12-17-2011, 08:33 PM
no no, it's Disney Magic, and it happenes to me too! LOL

Safari Queen
12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
We're 59 and 69. Since we go often, our time in the parks is very focused when we're alone...we go for just our favorites, or sometimes just a parade, fireworks, or street performers. We sleep in, relax at the pool or in comfortable public areas, sit around the fire and read...no stress and an easy pace. We never walk if we can ride. :goodvibes

It's harder when our DGD is with us, but we take turns running around with her. If we get tired, she's happy in a playground in a park or at the resort or the pool and we can kick back. I expect we'll eventually need scooters...we both have cardiac issues and I have arthritis...but that's okay. We're at WDW!

WolfpackFan
12-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm 61 and DW is 64. So far we are doing okay with going to WDW, but we have slowed down a lot. We just take the parks slowly and rest a lot. My main complaint is my feet. About mid-way through the week I start getting blisters and my feet start hurting a lot. DW's problem is her back and neck start hurting. We always take a mid-day break back at the resort. And it doesn't bother me as much as it used to when the parks close early.

I can see us changing our DVC plans as time goes by. At some point, we will start cutting back on our park visits and just spend more time at the resorts and will probably eventually start doing resort only visits. We do love going to HHI and I can see us at some point dropping WDW completely and just use our points at HH (assuming we can get 7 month ressies).

It's tough getting old but much better than the alternative.