PDA

View Full Version : Orange Lake Advice Please

cnktruitt
12-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Hello DISers:goodvibes

I've booked 2 nights at Orange Lake in February. It is non-refundable so please, please don't tell me anything horrible about it. It had great reviews on travel advisor and expedia.....so seeing some unpleasant threads on DIS has made me uneasy. Yes, I saw them after I booked it. :rolleyes: That said it is a moot point......

My question is where would be the best area / building to request?? It will be me and kids age 9 & 10 without a rental. We do not plan to visit the parks, not on this leg in any case. I know......horrors!!:scared1:

I'm hoping for an area close to a nice pool and food, grocery or restaurant. Do they have room delivery??? Are there areas with nice walking paths??

Any and all advice welcome and appreciated. Thank you much:thumbsup2

Detailor
12-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I'd suggest asking for the newest section of the resort, known as River Island. The buildings are at the resort's new water park feature. Just down the road are a Publix grocery store, an Applebee's and a Miller's Ale House restaurant. Across the street from those are a relatively new Super Target and some other stores (not sure if there are pedestrian crossings that would make crossing busy SR 192 a safe prospect though).

It's been a few years since our last OLCC stay but be enjoyed the resort.

Dick Taylor

3sweetpeas
12-04-2011, 12:15 AM
It costs more money for a room in River Island and you usually know you've booked it at booking time.

We were there last February for 3 nights after POR. Honestly, the resort is huge and you have to drive to everything for the most part. My kids LOVED the pool and the lazy river. We had a no park day and stayed at the resort at the water park area all day. There were great options for lunch and we thoroughly enjoyed it. You do have to pay a $10 fee for each person for things at the waterpark (I think it's 10 and I can't remember what that pays for).

The condo was nice and large and had everything we could need. I will be honest, we had maid service come back and clean some things and they seem to come in when they want but they did come back and fix what I was unhappy about. We have stayed in other places in Orlando that were more updated most notably in the bathroom and kitchen but it was fine and the pool makes up for it. Again, we loved it. You will have a great time there. We were in West and it was a drive to the pool but I honestly think you will have to drive wherever you are.

The only place if I can remember that you don't want to be is an apartment building or main building right by the lobby? I read alot of reviews about old and yukky there. Suites maybe? I can't completely remember. Do some research and you'll figure it out. :)

kathy884
12-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I can't give advice about where to request. We thought it was a very nice resort though (stayed last March for a week / first time staying there). We were in the West Village. First they put us in a unit on the golf course. We went back and asked if we could be moved to a unit closer to an ammenity we might use like a pool or tennis court and they put is in a unit of duplexes fairly near the West Village entrance (just a few streets away) near a small pool and hot tub. We were happy with that. The duplexes were nice (I could tell they had been remodeled) and it was nice to be so close to a pool, as we'd stop in after a busy theme park day / day at Kennedy Space Center, etc.) It was also fun, as we saw the same people in the hot tub / pool every night so got to know them, etc.// Just mentioning that customer service seemed friendly and accomodating. // I think it's great that you'll have some time to enjoy the resort. The River Island area (we took the shuttle over one morning, just to walk around and check it out) looked lovely and definately like a place your kids would love (sort of it's own mini waterpark with a resturant option and other things right there -- very new with a nice design). The main building at the West Village appears to have a lot going on too. There are two bigger pools over there. We checked that out and did play tennis over there one night. We had such a busy week in Orlando, though, that we didn't do much at the resort except relax in the nearby pool/hot tub, play tennis one night, and chill out a little at the condo with family, etc. and do a few easy meals there -- very pleasant, though, and a great place for this. // As nice as the River Island area was, my teen after busy Orlando theme park or other attraction days just wanted to go chill in the nearby hot tub vs. going over there which I totally understand. Without other activities planned, though, definately at least check that area out.

I hope you have a great stay.

I didn't see walking paths. We ended up driving or talking the shuttle to other areas of the resort other than the close by pool/hot tub -- place is huge -- largest timeshare complex in the world I read.

3sweetpeas
12-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I can't give advice about where to request. We thought it was a very nice resort though (stayed last March for a week / first time staying there). We were in the West Village. First they put us in a unit on the golf course. We went back and asked if we could be moved to a unit closer to an ammenity we might use like a pool or tennis court and they put is in a unit of duplexes fairly near the West Village entrance (just a few streets away) near a small pool and hot tub. We were happy with that. The duplexes were nice (I could tell they had been remodeled) and it was nice to be so close to a pool, as we'd stop in after a busy theme park day / day at Kennedy Space Center, etc.) It was also fun, as we saw the same people in the hot tub / pool every night so got to know them, etc.// Just mentioning that customer service seemed friendly and accomodating. // I think it's great that you'll have some time to enjoy the resort. The River Island area (we took the shuttle over one morning, just to walk around and check it out) looked lovely and definately like a place your kids would love (sort of it's own mini waterpark with a resturant option and other things right there -- very new with a nice design). The main building at the West Village appears to have a lot going on too. There are two bigger pools over there. We checked that out and did play tennis over there one night. We had such a busy week in Orlando, though, that we didn't do much at the resort except relax in the nearby pool/hot tub, play tennis one night, and chill out a little at the condo with family, etc. and do a few easy meals there -- very pleasant, though, and a great place for this. // As nice as the River Island area was, my teen after busy Orlando theme park or other attraction days just wanted to go chill in the nearby hot tub vs. going over there which I totally understand. Without other activities planned, though, definately at least check that area out.

I hope you have a great stay.

I didn't see walking paths. We ended up driving or talking the shuttle to other areas of the resort other than the close by pool/hot tub -- place is huge -- largest timeshare complex in the world I read.

Maybe this will help you a little more. We were in the units on the golf course that PP requested to be moved from. We also never saw a pool anywhere close but we wanted to spend our day at the waterpark. Again everything seemed far from where we were.

cnktruitt
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Wow, it is a little daunting now......I had no idea it was that large. I hope they will help move us from the lobby to wherever we are assigned after the cab drops us off. :rolleyes1

Thanks for the advice everyone:cutie:

Detailor
12-05-2011, 10:11 AM
OLCC has a shuttle service with buses running within the resort so, for instance, if you stay somewhere in the relatively large West Village and want to spend time at River Island or at the Splash Pool complex in the North Village you can easily do that without either having a car or having to walk. I think you may have to walk from your villa to a shuttle bus stop but those really aren't very far from even the furthest villas. Of course, if you have mobility issues you may want to ask to be placed somewhere near a shuttle stop to help with that.

The resort is large but my family doesn't mind walking and we've walked from the West Village to the North Village or to the East Village a few times and found that to be okay. Going from West Village to River Island would be a very long walk and you'd certainly want to use the shuttle for that trip even if you generally like to walk. There are sidewalks in some places at the resort and there are places that you'd have to walk along the side of the road but the roads aren't on a highway, they're all internal resort roads.

There are a few "area pools" at OLCC and there are larger pool complexes at the West and North Villages and at River Island, as I recall the pool area at East Village is sort of in-between in size.

Dick Taylor

cnktruitt
12-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks much for the additional info. I think.....I'm going to rent a car even though I originally didn't want to. When I started adding up the cost for airport shuttles and one to the coast, which is where we're heading after Orange Lake......it just didn't make sense.

This was a late trip decision and we had not budgeted for it so I've been trying to reduce spending where I can. A bit of a headache at this point but I know we will have a great time.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.:thumbsup2

kathy884
12-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I think that's a great idea to rent a car. It gives you so much more flexibility and with shuttle/taxi costs give you so much more convienence for just a little more money.

michelle06
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
A previous poster mentioned paying $10 at the pool. You can pool hop around OL for free. You don't have to pay for pool privileges. However, if you want something extra, like a tube, you do pay a rental fee. In June 2010, it was $7 per tube.

Also, you cannot use pool noodles or swim boards. My daughter was so excited to have them and they made us take them out of the pool. I was unaware of this rule at the time.

Another note, for those of you who go in summer, the concrete is HOT! I wore my tennis shoes and socks one day. Took them off by a table not right next to the pool. I found it nearly impossible to get out of the pool and walk to my shoes as my feet were on fire. I kept hollering for my husband hoping he would bring them to me! Never forgot to put sandals nearby after that!

cnktruitt
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Thank you for clarifying the pool fees.....I was thinking $10 entry fee pp sounded steep but you never know. My children and I fly into MCO and have a night by ourselves before hubby joins us.......trying to come up with several ideas. I'm hoping the weather and pool will be warm enough for us to enjoy. We will be there in February so it's a toss up.

Sadly I am avoiding my favorite place on Earth...no WDW for us. We were there this summer and it isn't in our budget. Are there any other places anyone thinks we should check out?? Thanks again;)

TamaraQT
12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I have never stayed at OLCC but I did do a timeshare tour there. Of course they only wanted to show us River Island area since thats what they were selling, but we insisted to see all areas. Let me say, the other posters are right, you do need to drive to get around. There shuttles to take you from one village to the next ran on a pretty reliable schedule. We spent the day there and got to know our way around. Anyway, you can check your reservation to see if you are in either West Village, East Village, North Village or River Island. You can also go to their website and see a map of the resort. That will give you an idea of which buildings are closer to the amenities. Also, the earlier you arrive the better your chances for being able to have your request for certain rooms honored.

If possible, consider renting a car. A roundtrip from and to the airport, can sometimes cost almost as much a compact car rental or close to it. Maybe take it into consideration. Sometimes with discount codes and coupons, your cost may be a lot lower than you think. It may be worth a try just to look into it. But, whatever you do, I am sure you will have a FABULOUS time regardless!!!