PDA

View Full Version : No DVC for me, but squeezing in a Value & Moderate

dairyqueenmom
11-27-2011, 08:52 PM
It has been 6 years of DVC, and I love my 2 bedroom! With no points to use and a training class in Orlando in December and the Princess 1/2 Marathon in Feb. I will be forgoing my usual accommodations for one night at Pop Century in December to get my Disney fix with the MVMCP and then for the Princess we will be staying at 5 nights at Port Orleans in the Royal Suite. I will sure miss my king size bed. I guess any stay at Disney is better then being in cold snowy Michigan.

sweetdana
11-28-2011, 07:56 AM
I love FQ. 2nd only 2 DVC :rotfl2: . Have fun.

mom of princessx2
11-28-2011, 08:59 AM
We are doing this too. With 3 DVC trips planned in the next 12 months I am fresh out of points but I really want to take my mom for her first WDW trip during F&G. I decided to take her during Free Dining in March and stay at POR as well. My oldest sister is coming too and we can fit 5 in those rooms and this is an all girls trip. I will miss my deluxe but I am really looking forward to tying POR!!

bobbiwoz
11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I hope you enjoy your stay! I think being at Disney is fun!:banana:

dairyqueenmom
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I love Port Orleans! We Disneymooned there 16 years ago, so it will be fun to go back in Feb. and the Royal Suites look like so much fun!! I just moved my hotel that I am staying at for this conference to a Marriot by Downtown Disney. It means a 25 min. drive each morning to the conference out by the airport, but I just couldn't see staying out by the airport when I can be close to my Happy Place! I hope to go have dinner at some of the resorts and see the decorations.

tomandrobin
11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Make the best of it.....you are still in Disney!

Breyean
11-29-2011, 05:34 PM
We stayed at PO for the first WDW marathon back in 1994 just a few months AFTER we bought into DVC in 1993. We had a long vacation planned using our points for summer 1994 taking friends with us, so we decided not use points for the marathon trip.

We loved PO, just like we loved CB in 1993.

Just a couple of years ago, we were staying at OKW for the marathon, and walked over to PO to pick up some food at their food court and plan on doing it again this coming January as well.

So many years ago, yet I remember that trip so vividly.

dairyqueenmom
11-29-2011, 08:43 PM
We still fondly call it "Dixie Landings".

cdmickey
11-30-2011, 04:33 AM
If we're out of points (and still need a Disney fix), it is pretty much the Riverside (Dixie Landings) for us.

moredisneyplease
11-30-2011, 08:01 AM
any stat at WDW is better than none!! Enjoy the Princess Half! I've done it a few times and its a blast!

spiceycat
12-01-2011, 01:41 PM
We still fondly call it "Dixie Landings".

yea it's first name.

it was so nice then - then the refillable mug was for your lifetime (which they changed after a year or so)

Mickey'sApprentice
12-01-2011, 07:59 PM
We are staying at POP in early January.

Kidanifan08
12-01-2011, 09:07 PM
In '09, we stayed in a 2BR at SSR in Jan and AKV in June on points. We wanted to go again in the fall, so we did 9 nights at ASM. We checked in on the last day of the free DDP offer, so it was worth it, but it felt very crowded after 2 stays in a DVC 2BR.

5 nights in a POR Royal Suite sounds luxurious! And just think . . . you'll be back to a DVC villa in no time!

After living in GR for 7 years, I know what you mean about escaping Michigan in the winter!! Have a great time!!:thumbsup2

rmcildw2m
12-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Amen to that .

dairyqueenmom
12-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Luckily, at Pop and our stay at POFQ it will just be my sister and I. I will just miss my full size kitchen, huge bathroom, and washer and dryer. It will be atleast a year or two before we are back at AKV, hopfully my DH and I will be back in Oct of 2012 for the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon.

starbox
12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
I may be the one voice of dissension here - but we were huge Mod fans before owning DVC and have stayed at CBR and POR since owning DVC when conserving points. I was just really disappointed. The rooms did not feel as clean and well-maintained as I think they should have and it just felt very much like a La Quinta Inn except I was paying 160$ a night with an AP discount. :headache:

OTOH - we've Pricelined and ended up at the Grand Cypress twice/Gaylord Palms twice/Peabody twice each and those resorts were spectacular and felt magical. Huge rooms, luxe beds, white glove service. At Grand Cypress we got champagne at check-in and they brought complimentary milk and fresh-baked cookies to our room as an afternoon snack. The Peabody has robes/slippers, complimentary water and umbrellas - marble bathrooms with flatscreen tvs in the them. Gaylord Palms had the lowest level of personalized service out of the three - but the atrium and grounds are beautiful and I do like the computer systems in each room. All of those resorts were literally half the price of a Disney Mod even with AP discount. :thumbsup2 You might want to consider it and pocket the 600-700$ you'd save!!! :goodvibes

dairyqueenmom
12-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I may be the one voice of dissension here - but we were huge Mod fans before owning DVC and have stayed at CBR and POR since owning DVC when conserving points. I was just really disappointed. The rooms did not feel as clean and well-maintained as I think they should have and it just felt very much like a La Quinta Inn except I was paying 160$ a night with an AP discount. :headache:

OTOH - we've Pricelined and ended up at the Grand Cypress twice/Gaylord Palms twice/Peabody twice each and those resorts were spectacular and felt magical. Huge rooms, luxe beds, white glove service. At Grand Cypress we got champagne at check-in and they brought complimentary milk and fresh-baked cookies to our room as an afternoon snack. The Peabody has robes/slippers, complimentary water and umbrellas - marble bathrooms with flatscreen tvs in the them. Gaylord Palms had the lowest level of personalized service out of the three - but the atrium and grounds are beautiful and I do like the computer systems in each room. All of those resorts were literally half the price of a Disney Mod even with AP discount. :thumbsup2 You might want to consider it and pocket the 600-700$ you'd save!!! :goodvibes

Thank you for the insight, we are staying with a 40% discount, for Princess 1/2 Marathon participants. We will be staying in the brand new Royal Suites, so I think quality of room won't be an issue. We also won't be renting a car - Magical Express is a huge savings. Also we will need the Disney transportation for the morning of the run. I will look at those for our next family trip, we won't have enough points to go for another year, and the kids are already asking about this coming summer.

El&Asmom
12-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I did the same thing last year. Dh and I stayed at WL since I had a conference in Orlando that work was paying for. Nothing like slumming it on the company's dollar ;).
I then did the Princess with 2 friends, again staying at WL. We had free ddp, and it made life easier to not waste points, and have dining all figured out rather than having the bill split each evening.

Have a blast, we've stayed at FQ before and loved it. The Princess is a great race. I'll be back at my DVC for my first marathon weekend and can't wait.

dairyqueenmom
12-07-2011, 06:41 AM
I wish my company would pay for the WL - that wouldn't be slumming in my world. Unfortunatly the company is our family business so I am being fiscally responsible and doing Pop for one night and the Marriot in Lake Buena Vista for the rest of my conference. $85 for Pop and $66 a night for the Marriot and the Marriot includes breakfast!:banana: I still would rather be cooking breakfast in my huge kitchen at Kindani!