PDA

View Full Version : Snow?

Mickey'sApprentice
11-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, we were at wdw in January and December 2010 and both times...it was COLD.

We are headed back in January 2012. My question is...does it ever really snow at Disney??

Deb & Bill
11-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Well, on Main Street in December and late November. And in Disney Hollywood Studios in late November and December. ;)

But I couldn't find any reports of snow in Orlando recorded. Sometimes a little freezing rain, but that would be it. jacksonville, Pensacola, yes.

Sammie
11-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Yes it does, very rare but they do get a dusting sometimes.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2006-11-21-florida-cold_x.htm

Mickey'sApprentice
11-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks! It would be interesting to see.

Either way, I'll bring my winter clothes. I wonder how well Disney would cope with a snow event.

One inch of snow pretty much brings Alabama to a halt.

helenk
11-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I was in WDW in mid January this year, and the weather was beautiful, In fact I had to buy myself a short sleeve shirt because I had not packed enough of my own.
My sister I were in WDW in January 2009 and it was freezing, I guess it's a hit or miss.

JimC
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Definition of a dusting of snow in central Florida:

1. One flake per acre with TOG (time on ground) less than duration of a yellow light at a red light camera intersection.

2. Light flurries above 10,000 feet.

Central Florida's coldest weather is generally north west of Orlando. Nothing like a good concrete heat sink to blunt cold air out of the northwest.

crisi
11-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Definition of a dusting of snow in central Florida:

1. One flake per acre with TOG (time on ground) less than duration of a yellow light at a red light camera intersection.

2. Light flurries above 10,000 feet.

Central Florida's coldest weather is generally north west of Orlando. Nothing like a good concrete heat sink to blunt cold air out of the northwest.

Definition of "real snow" in Minnesota.

After it is done snowing, can you see the tops of the grass sticking out? - it isn't real snow. Does it melt after a day or two? Not real snow. Did you have to shovel it or did you just ignore it? - Not real snow.

Deb & Bill
11-27-2011, 09:08 AM

After it is done snowing, can you see the tops of the grass sticking out? - it isn't real snow. Does it melt after a day or two? Not real snow. Did you have to shovel it or did you just ignore it? - Not real snow.

Definition of real snow in Louisiana.

Did they cancel school? Real snow.

crisi
11-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Definition of real snow in Louisiana.

Did they cancel school? Real snow.

Which, if Louisiana is like some Southern States, happens about the time the weatherman says a flake MIGHT hit the ground.

I grew up in Louisville. Without snowplows and people used to driving in the stuff, a dusting can - and should - send school kids home. But I remember my mother being very confused (the family is originally from Minnesota) when we were kept home because it MIGHT snow.

Deb & Bill
11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Which, if Louisiana is like some Southern States, happens about the time the weatherman says a flake MIGHT hit the ground.

I grew up in Louisville. Without snowplows and people used to driving in the stuff, a dusting can - and should - send school kids home. But I remember my mother being very confused (the family is originally from Minnesota) when we were kept home because it MIGHT snow.

Oh, yeah. Very true. In Illinois, school was cancelled if we got 20" of snow.

drusba
11-27-2011, 09:58 AM
In first 2 1/2 weeks of January 2010 there were a couple days at WDW where there were some brief snow flurries, mixed with rain, in the morning withno accumulation. Though I do not think they set any single day record low during that time, it did have the longest string of consecutive days where the daily low went below freezing, usually into the 20s. In the same period in January 2011 the weather was mostly in the lower to mid 70s for highs with lows in the 50s and sometimes upper 40s.

Buckeye Fan
11-27-2011, 10:16 AM
:ssst: No more snow talk! We're leaving in ~23 days, and the weather in FL REALLY needs to be warmer than the weather in OH! :rotfl: Send good vibes our way for nice avg temps! :thumbsup2

Simba's Mom
11-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks! It would be interesting to see.

Either way, I'll bring my winter clothes. I wonder how well Disney would cope with a snow event.

One inch of snow pretty much brings Alabama to a halt.

:wave2:Hi, Mickey'sApprentice. I think it's a really good idea to bring winter clothes, including a hat and gloves. I remember one year-although it didn't snow, it was freezing! There were lots of little signs around where flowers used to be about Jack Frost having paid a visit and please forgive us while we replant. I went to AK one day and lots of animals weren't out in the morning. People were buying up all the hats and gloves (at premium prices, high even for WDW) and the stores ran out of hats and gloves, leaving lots of COLD tourists!

My 2 princesses
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
OMG, please don't say 'snow'. I want one week, just one week of no snow. Sweaters I'm fine with. I refuse to bring my winter jacket. This year was the first time we went in January, but it was very nice, not hot and definitely no cold. Hoping for the same thing year.

lovin'fl
11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
:ssst: No more snow talk! We're leaving in ~23 days. Send good vibes our way for nice avg temps!

I know...us too!! :yay: Doing the non-snow dance!!!

castleri
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Late Dec weather can be really tricky in central Florida. One year I wore a tank top, long sleeved tee, velour sweater and my winter jacket with my Micky santa hat on Christmas Eve and my bathing suit at the pool (85 degree weather) a few days later. Just be prepared for everything. The worst year was when it was cold and rainy. Only one of us (my DGD age 20 at the time) brought rain boots and was the only one to have nice warm comfy dry feet. I was second with my socks and crocs (the kind without holes in the side) and that was touch and go if I didn't see a puddle in time. Will be there in a week and so far the weather looks good for the mid 70s and 50s at night but will have the fleece and rain jacket along just in case.
One of our local TV stations did a report on "snow" in Florida this am - they do the snow thing in Celebration every night apparently - it is really some kind of soap bubble thing but the kids were having a wonderful time with it.

DVCconvert
11-27-2011, 07:03 PM
There's never any "real snow" as we'd define it here in Maine.
A dusting...at worse.
Here, we look at snow storms by what size rig we need to plow it!
A "normal" storm is plowed with a 1/2 Truck...a "real storm" requires a 3/4 ton ton or a 1 ton truck! :)

com_op_2000
11-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Does it snow in Central FL - yes!
Back in Feb of '77, the year I graduated high school, I was at a home basketball game. Just after half time it started snowing, everyone left the game, and we had a junior vs senior snow ball fight in the parking lot.
Some people were able create a snow man about two foot tall.
You have to remember, most of people in my high school had never seen snow, been in snow, nor traveled to an area that has snow. My high school friends and I were born and raised in FL. This was the first recorded snow fall in Central FL, since my mother graduated high school in '57.
Yes it can and does snow in and around Disney.

Mickey'sApprentice
11-27-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm really enjoying this thread!

I think I will bring my Disney Winter gear for our trip no matter the forecast in January!

I just wish my warm jackets didn't have hoods. If you see a pudgy woman with a really cute hat...and 2 hooded jackets...that's me!

As for Alabama: If you ever find yourself here in Winter weather. Stay off the road. WE don't know how to drive in it, and will crash into YOU!! It is our version of demolition derby!

JimC
11-27-2011, 09:27 PM

If we are going to chat about real snow I'll pull out my years in Syracuse NY -- annual totals 110 to 120 inches - monthly records exceed 6 feet - meaningful snowfall six months a year - over 60 days of measurable snowfall each year.

rock_doctor
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Can you imagine what would happen in Florida if they got 6ft of snow or even 6 inches of snow???? :scared1: Last Christmas was one of the worst we have seen in Florida. No snow but tons of ice. Disney World is absolutely gorgeous with ice coating all of the trees...especially with the Christmas lights under the ice...

Buckeye Fan
11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
If we are going to chat about real snow I'll pull out my years in Syracuse NY -- annual totals 110 to 120 inches - monthly records exceed 6 feet - meaningful snowfall six months a year - over 60 days of measurable snowfall each year.

:scared1: Now that IS real snow!!! :scared1:

Assuming you had to clear roof tops and everything, huh? Wow. I can't even imagine. We drove from C-bus to Indianapolis one year for a hockey tournament. When we left, there was about 12", and we ended up getting 22 or 24" total that day. What should have been a 3 hour and 15 minute trip was over 6 hours. Cars everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. SUVs scattered. Watched a semi jackknife, because it couldn't stop due to a wreck that wasn't visible due to snow falling so hard. Level 3 or 4 snow emergency, which basically means you will be ticketed if out on the road. You could tell how many people were paying attention. :rolleyes1 Gotta love crazy hockey parents...only 1 family didn't make it - and not because they didn't try! :lmao: Not smart, but looking back, it was kind of fun.

Okay...it's out of my system...back to what I said before - NO SNOW TALK! :rotfl:

Greysword
11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
There is one more important thing to know about Florida, it can snow (and accumulate) in the Northern part of the State. When this happens, the Highway Patrol will close the Interstates in the affected areas.*

This is likely to not be a problem for most, but it can very well effect those who are driving to WDW from any other State :)

*Note: FHP closes the Interstate due to the number of accidents occurring as a result of the weather. Since much of Florida are "snowbirds" from the North and mid-west, I blame them :lmao: in forgetting how to drive in the stuff. ;)

DizGirl20
11-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Hey I lived in Syracuse for 10 years and survived the Blizzard of '93. 43 inches! :scared1:

starbox
11-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I grew up in Tallahassee - just about as far north Florida as you can get. It snowed enough to scrape together a dirty frosty snowman (as in, scrape ALL the snow off the ground and pack it mixed with leaves and pine straw) a total of TWICE in twenty years. Maybe saw flurries four or five times? No snow ever lasted past the afternoon. They closed the interstate (I-10) ONCE for ice.

I've heard of a flurry in Orlando once in a blue moon. I think actual snow-on-the-ground snow is more of a once in 50 years phenomenon - and even then, it will be gone by mid-day.

But it does get COLD. It's so flat and with wind and temps in the 30's or even 40's it can feel BITTER COLD. January and February are potentially the coldest months - January is the coldest. But even then, you'll have days in the 70's :goodvibes

Sandy321
11-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I was there in that freeze of 2010 - in the half, and let me tell you there was rain, and while I waited for the Half to begin, snow flurries - and while I was running - SLEET - I thought it hit me so hard I was bleeding!

and all the flora and fauna, freeze hit it hard, it looked so sad

accumulation? not so much... jackets, ear muffs, gloves? You betcha!

nunzia
11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Our one trip to WDW..it was March in 1993..there was some huge mess of a weather system..Crestview Florida for the night...tornado warnings all night, and woke up to yes..SNOW..real snow..not super deep..maybe 2"..but holy cow SNOW. And the night had been rough as there were semis on their sides, power out etc, on the drive to Orlando. We arrive at WDW and palm trees are uprooted laying around, wind is blowing, it is COLD...our first WDW memory is dumping lots of $$$ on warm clothes. All of our vacation pictures have palm trees leaning waaaay over from the wind. We still have the newspaper..headline "March Monster Roars" sooo...maybe not snow in Orlando, but it gets super icy cold.

moredisneyplease
11-30-2011, 07:54 AM
just keep an eye on the weather the entire week before your trip. i've been to WDW many, many times in January (for the races) and once it was in the 20s at the start of the race and then a few years later it was scorching and people were dropping left and right during the races. for the most part its jeans and sweatshirt weather but you never know.

joelnkelly
11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
I have lived i orlando for the past 15 years and it has not yet snowed once in that time. The temps can get pretty chilly/cold at night but it will typically warm back up during the day. In January the avg. temp is usually in the mid 60's, some days it can get warmer. I wouldnt be worry about it snowing here...:rotfl:

DVC-Don
11-30-2011, 09:21 AM
I have not seen snow, but one trip we had ice on the stairs to our Grand Villa at OKW

MinnieGi
11-30-2011, 09:43 AM
We just arrived back yesterday after a beautiful week of sunny weather in the 80's!! The only snow we saw was at DHS Osborne Lights!! :)

However we were there last Christmas week and it did get chilly for quite a few days!! We've been in Jan and Feb for other trips and its always so hard to pack b/c you need to bring warm and cool clothes. Last year we were actually at Blizzard Beach sunning ourselves one day and two days later were dressed in hats and gloves!!

OrangeCountyCommuter
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I ran the first 4 miles or so of the Half Marathon in January a few years ago in SLEET. It was a nightmare. If it's that cold this January I am staying home and skipping the race!

Simba's Mom
11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
I ran the first 4 miles or so of the Half Marathon in January a few years ago in SLEET. It was a nightmare. If it's that cold this January I am staying home and skipping the race!

Oh, Oh! I won't let DH see this! He's considering running the half marathon in January 2013 (he just did the Wine and Dine half marathon). He runs in heat regularly, but cold might be a real problem for him.

jstarcze
11-30-2011, 08:17 PM
From Wikipedia:

Because the winter season is dry and freezing temperatures usually occur only after cold fronts (and their accompanying precipitation) have passed, snow is exceptionally rare. The only accumulation ever to occur in the city proper since recordkeeping began was in 1948, though surrounding areas did accumulate 6" in a snow event in 1977. It is also likely that accumulations occurred in connection with the Great Blizzard of 1899. Trace flurries have also been observed in 1989 and 2010.

candielips
11-30-2011, 11:26 PM
This is a horrible thread! I am from Canada folks and we have a week booked this Jan/Feb followed by our first disney cruise and we do not want to see snow. I want to be able to walk around in a light sweater and hopefully enjoy the pool. Am I crazy for thinking we might actually get to spend a day at the pool?

Mickey'sApprentice
12-01-2011, 02:49 AM
It may be very pleasant! I've had perfect weather On previous trips in dec, Jan, & feb.

Deb & Bill
12-01-2011, 07:43 AM
This is a horrible thread! I am from Canada folks and we have a week booked this Jan/Feb followed by our first disney cruise and we do not want to see snow. I want to be able to walk around in a light sweater and hopefully enjoy the pool. Am I crazy for thinking we might actually get to spend a day at the pool?

We've been in early January. We've had 80's where we got sunburned several days in a row at Blizzard Beach and 40's where we layered on clothes to keep warm.

candielips
12-01-2011, 09:03 AM
We've been in early January. We've had 80's where we got sunburned several days in a row at Blizzard Beach and 40's where we layered on clothes to keep warm.

Heres hoping!

Thanks for the hope you guys.

joelnkelly
12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
People, stop worrying. You will not see any snow in orlando. it might be chilly, meaning jacket weather but I am guessing you have a better chance of seeing a pig fly than seeing snow in the air. :rotfl:

Greysword
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
From Wikipedia:

Because the winter season is dry and freezing temperatures usually occur only after cold fronts (and their accompanying precipitation) have passed, snow is exceptionally rare. The only accumulation ever to occur in the city proper since recordkeeping began was in 1948, though surrounding areas did accumulate 6" in a snow event in 1977. It is also likely that accumulations occurred in connection with the Great Blizzard of 1899. Trace flurries have also been observed in 1989 and 2010. You forgot the super script that said, "citation needed" ;)

People, stop worrying. You will not see any snow in orlando. it might be chilly, meaning jacket weather but I am guessing you have a better chance of seeing a pig fly than seeing snow in the air. :rotfl::rotfl: Many Northerners (from the US and Canada) have proclaimed the same, and ended up buying heavy winter coats for their stay in sunny (and sometimes not so warm) central Florida! If you visit in the winter, be prepared for bone-chilling cold and hot summer weather (e.g. layers).

BUDDYBEAR
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
VERY RARE IN ORLANDO :cool1:

JennMouse32
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
you guys are all tlaking about nothing snow!!!

Im from upstate NY, 2 hours from canada, and in the middle of 2 lakes.. so that makes the lake effect x2.. try 4ft of snow and -40 and still going to school.... all these midwesterners are whimps... i want to move to FL.. ive had enough of the white stuff to last a lifetime

armone
12-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, we were at wdw in January and December 2010 and both times...it was COLD.

We are headed back in January 2012. My question is...does it ever really snow at Disney??

:rotfl:No snow that I know of, but I do remember Dec 2010 when it froze like four nights in a row... man, were the Disney Gardners busy replanting ever morning. Florida literally ran out of poinsettias that year.

Mickey'sApprentice
12-02-2011, 12:03 AM
:rotfl:No snow that I know of, but I do remember Dec 2010 when it froze like four nights in a row... man, were the Disney Gardners busy replanting ever morning. Florida literally ran out of poinsettias that year.

I was there!!

I'm from the South, so....BRRRR!!!!

2binak
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Like Deb&Bill, we've been in January when it was 80-85 all week long & we've been when it was in the 40's with wind chills in the 20's. Even with those wind chills, I don't think it would snow, but it was darn COLD! We're from New England so we're used to below-zero temps in January, but it so disappointing to be in FL and have it be so cold.