PDA

View Full Version : Disney cancels plans for National Harbor resort

vicki_c
11-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Sad, but not surprised.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/in-a-blow-to-prince-georges-disney-backs-out-of-national-harbor/2011/11/25/gIQAM2OKxN_story.html?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpos t

Song of the South
11-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Bah! Hum bug!

SotS

AKLFan3
11-25-2011, 11:30 PM
That is really disappointing! I was just in D.C. the other week and wished we could have used points for a DVC resort stay instead of paying cash at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center. :sad1:

CruznLexi
11-26-2011, 01:14 AM
The Wydham in Old Town has RCI with it.

disneynutz
11-26-2011, 02:06 AM
I think that Disney is realizing that projects outside of DL and WDW won't have a decent return on their investment. At least not the profit that they want as fast as they want.

:earsboy: Bill

AnnaS
11-26-2011, 07:17 AM
I am not surprised either.

Doug7856
11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Not surprised, but I am disappointed. I've visited National Harbor several times recently. It's a nice property, but distant from the DC attractions and not connected via Metro. There are a lot of similar competitive attractions at National Harbor: The Gaylord's Dreamworks character greetings and the National Children's Museum's Sesame Street association. Would have been great fun to have Mickey and friends in the mix!

My real wish is for a Disney presence at nearby Williamsburg, Va.

nunzia
11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Not surprised, but I am disappointed. I've visited National Harbor several times recently. It's a nice property, but distant from the DC attractions and not connected via Metro. There are a lot of similar competitive attractions at National Harbor: The Gaylord's Dreamworks character greetings and the National Children's Museum's Sesame Street association. Would have been great fun to have Mickey and friends in the mix!

My real wish is for a Disney presence at nearby Williamsburg, Va.

Bring back Disney's America!!
I wonder what they will do with the land..they own a big chunk there, right?

Robin"D"
11-26-2011, 08:41 AM
:sad2:, damn, so close

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

bwvBound
11-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Bummer ...

BirdsOfPreyDave
11-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Darn. I was really hoping for this.

Doug7856
11-26-2011, 11:48 AM

That would be great, but I don't think Disney owns the property now. There was such an outcry by "historians" who objected to Disney presenting history. Strangely odd...so much for free speech...

AKLFan3
11-26-2011, 05:03 PM
The Wydham in Old Town has RCI with it.

I didn't see the Wyndham listed this year. I remember it was listed in the RCI guide previous years, but not anymore. I think the only hotel close to D.C. is the Mandarin Oriental in the Concierge Collection.

Doug7856
11-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I didn't see the Wyndham listed this year. I remember it was listed in the RCI guide previous years, but not anymore. I think the only hotel close to D.C. is the Mandarin Oriental in the Concierge Collection.

Too bad. The Wyndham at Alexandria is a perfect property for touring DC. The National Harbor Wyndham looks nice but I haven't stayed there.

littlestar
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM

It's still in RCI. The resort code is 5346.

JimC
11-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Bad timing and mediocre location. Its not on the Metro. If you want to be near DC you need to be on the Metro. Sell the land and use the capital elsewhere.

AKLFan3
11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
It's still in RCI. The resort code is 5346.

Oh thank you! I don't know why it didn't pop up for me when I did the geographical search.

JimMIA
11-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Both the Wydham Old Town Alexandria and Wyndham National Harbor should be in RCI, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be available through DVC/RCI.

CandleontheWater
11-26-2011, 08:24 PM
This is kind of a bummer! I live right across the river in Old Town Alexandria and I was hoping for a Disney presence close to home. I think it would have been really cool, and I was hoping for a character breakfast so I could take DS for a little bit of Mickey without leaving the neighborhood.

I agree that it is not the best location, I think that the National Harbor does have potential, but it is hampered without easy access to public transportation. I always wondered how Disney was going to get guests into DC. I assumed that they would probably run a ferry, but I couldn't figure out if they would dock in Alexandria or somewhere in the district.

I guess it is a moot point now.

n2mm
11-27-2011, 07:26 AM
I am not surprised either.

Add me to the not surprised list too.

JimMIA
11-27-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. It would have been nice for people living in the DC area, but certainly not a location I'd want to use to visit DC.

bookwormde
11-27-2011, 10:56 AM
As soon as you could start getting 2-4 br Wyndham National Harbor on ebay for $150-250/nt it made very little sense anymore.

I think they are going to fucus on GF, Poly, FW locations where they can put premium point levels on the units and sell what is special about DVC (on site villas). This is likely 600 to 900 2br equivelents which with the other remaining inventory should take them close to 2020 to sell out.

CMOORE185
11-27-2011, 03:17 PM
National Harbor excited very few people, would have been tough to sell. Look at GF, people can't wait for this to be built and will command top dollar. An off site location is going to have to excite people in order to work.

thepops
11-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Looks like the developer is going to buy it back and use it for other projects.
Maybe if the group that bought Anhesuser Busch decides to sell off the parks and just focus on brewing, Disney could pick up Busch Gardens Williamsburg and do their Disney America project there (and maybe add a DVC resort there.) :confused3

VTNuke
11-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Disney was smart to back out of this. The National Harbor is a good example of "Build it and they MAY come".

tomandrobin
11-28-2011, 07:12 AM
I am disappointed with the announcement.

We have been to National Harbor several times and really like the location. We are meeting a bunch of DVC owners there on Dec 10th to see the Ice Exhibit and have some drinks.

I felt that the location would have worked......Washington DC is #3 US Tourist destination.

CMOORE185
11-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I am disappointed with the announcement.

We have been to National Harbor several times and really like the location. We are meeting a bunch of DVC owners there on Dec 10th to see the Ice Exhibit and have some drinks.

I felt that the location would have worked......Washington DC is #3 US Tourist destination.#1 New York, #2 Las Vegas, #3 Washinton D.C., and #4 Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston. Funny I have never been to top 4 tourist destinations in U.S. In fact I have been to only three of the top 10. Two of them are Disney and the other is Navy Pier in Chicago, and the only reason I have been to Navy Pier is I live 30 miles from Chicago. I need to get around more. I wish now they would have built National Harbor so it would have forced me to see our Nations Capital.

nunzia
11-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Maybe if the group that bought Anhesuser Busch decides to sell off the parks and just focus on brewing, Disney could pick up Busch Gardens Williamsburg and do their Disney America project there (and maybe add a DVC resort there.) :confused3

That would be great..I was so bummed when the Disney's America thing got protested and cancelled.

Granny
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM

That group...InBev...already sold off the Anheuser-Busch parks to an investor firm. Included all parks in all locations (Sea World, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens and Sesame Place).

Personally, I don't think the National Harbor would have been a good selection for Disney. I think they'd do better with something in the Caribbean.

Brian Noble
11-28-2011, 11:35 AM
so much for free speech...
Pet peeve alert:
The First Amendment only specifies what *governments* may not prohibit, not private entities/citizens/etc.

dvcbrad
11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
We all have different thoughts, perspectives and preferences, but for me ... this resort never made any sense at all. It seems that resorts should be built where there will be lots of repeat stays by a large number of people. This one seemed like it would be nice for a one-time stay and nice for the locals, but not attractive enough location to justify a DVC resort.

Now downtown Chicago? ... just kidding, doesn't make sense there (here) either, and I'm a local!

Brian Noble
11-28-2011, 12:18 PM
It seems that resorts should be built where there will be lots of repeat stays by a large number of people. This one seemed like it would be nice for a one-time stay and nice for the locals, but not attractive enough location to justify a DVC resort.
I've posted this elsewhere, but...if DVC is going to continue growing, there should eventually be room for "once in a blue moon" resorts, and you probably have to have them eventually for diversity. This is a fundamental shift in thinking about how the system works, but it provides for a strong selection of destinations.

Consider Wyndham. They have 42 different locations in the core club---and some of those have more than one resort in a single location. They claim 515,000 member families. With that large of an owner base, and that substantial a resort roster, it's perfectly fine to have some resorts that are "once or twice in a lifetime" visits, because most people will want to make that trip. Wyndham is sold as a system, not primarily as a single resort at which you buy and will return to time and again.

We've never stayed at our Wyndham "home resort", or even been to that city (Ft. Lauderdale). We've used our points for seven stays at Wyndham resorts so far, but only one of those was a "return visit": the Smoky Mountains. Other places were Orlando, New Orleans, Honolulu, the Wisconsin Dells, and Williamsburg. We're planning trips to Flagstaff (for the Grand Canyon) and San Antonio in the near future. If we did not have family in the DC area with whom we stay, that would be on our list too.

Plutofan
11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
That is disappointing. It would have been a good alternative.

Who's your Mickey?
11-28-2011, 05:20 PM

Not gonna happen... The land that was once going to be Disney's America is now a golf course community... Disney sold the land to a home builder not long after they pulled out and it's now covered with houses and either one or two golf courses...

Who's your Mickey?
11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
That would be great, but I don't think Disney owns the property now. There was such an outcry by "historians" who objected to Disney presenting history. Strangely odd...so much for free speech...

Not quite true... Disney's America was killed off by a bunch of NIMBYs... They were concerned about too much traffic in their podunk town... Sadly, most of the NIMBYs were paid lobbyists who didn't even live in the podunk town...