PDA

View Full Version : Any good offsite hotels that offer great park shuttle service...for groups?

MemoryMakers2669
11-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Posting here as well, since this is the place for offsite hotels.........

I am helping a Girl Scout troop plan a trip for next summer. The leader is looking at Offsite hotels, as they are certainly cheaper, however most of them said a group has to get themselves to the parks (Mears) or if they don't have that restriction...their shuttle schedule sucks!! For example they have one shuttle to Epcot at 9:30, 10:45, 12:00. 1:15, etc. I haven't found one yet.......and all are "Good Neighbor" hotels.........that will take you directly to Hollywood or Animal Kingdom. Or that has a decent park schedule.

My opinion is, stay onsite!

But I need to offer up the best offsite option. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels offsite that offer great park shuttles?

Lewisc
11-17-2011, 08:53 PM
The DTD hotels have good bus service. Otherwise groups should just arrange their own bus service. Use whatever bus you used to get your group to Orlando. Your group flew? Contract with a company for van (or bus) service from MCO to your offsite resort and for transportation from your resort to the parks.

What will you do if the offsite supplied bus only has space for half your group?

crazelion
11-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I suggest DTD hotels would best transportation options. I our boy scout troop charter a bus to WDW and we stay onsite too. But we sold fruit to pay for the trip.

JimMIA
11-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Depending on the size of the group, you're likely to have a problem either onsite or offsite.

If you've got 8-10 people, that's the same as a large family -- which would be challenging. But if you've got 25-30 and want to go as a group, it's extremely unlikely that you will be able to use anyone's regular shuttle service reliably. You're going to find yourself standing at a bus stop with 27 kids and a bus comes up with 4 seats (or none).

Regardless of where you stay, I'd look into the cost of renting several vans. The time you save going back and forth and the ability to control your own movements would far exceed the cost of the rental. Driving around WDW is easy. It will also allow you to truck the kids offsite to less expensive restaurants.

Lewisc
11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Jim makes a point. If you have enough adult chaperones drivers willing and able to drive mini-vans you could go that route.

I don't know where the OP is from. Chartering a bus to transport the group to Orlando and continuing to charter the bus for transportation to the theme parks and offsite restaurants is another alternative.

Relying on offsite shuttle buses is probably not a viable alternative.

bankr63
11-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Also, do consider the shuttle cost. Many hotels do charge for the shuttle service, and it is not cheap. You may find that the cost of hotel shuttles outstrips the cost of van rentals or arranging your own bussing.

JimMIA
11-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Also, do consider the shuttle cost. Many hotels do charge for the shuttle service, and it is not cheap. You may find that the cost of hotel shuttles outstrips the cost of van rentals or arranging your own bussing.
I know Wyndham Bonnet Creek's shuttle is free and I think the DTD hotel shuttles are free -- at least to DTD, from which you catch Disney transportation. Don't know about others.

bankr63
11-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I know Wyndham Bonnet Creek's shuttle is free and I think the DTD hotel shuttles are free -- at least to DTD, from which you catch Disney transportation. Don't know about others.

But no direct links from DTD to the parks. So you would have to bus to a Disney resort to transfer to a bus to the parks. With a big group you really start to run the risk of having to separate if there isn't enough space for everyone.

Many hotels do offer free shuttles, just pointing out that you need to ask to be sure. A $5-10 pp charge would be a bit of a surprise if you weren't expecting it!