PDA

View Full Version : Should I reserve hotels for plan b before calling at 7-month date?


mickeytai
11-14-2011, 05:39 PM
So, i have been anxiously waiting for next week to call and make reservation for our DL trip in June 2012. Since we aren't owner of VGC,,we have to wait until the 7-month to call. We are planning to stay for 3 nights using our points. My plan B is stay at DL hotel For 2 night if there is no room available at VGC.

A thought came to me and I thought maybe I would ask the COllective Wisdom here.. Should I call DVc and make reservation with our points for DL hotel before calling next week for VGc? I Am paranoid since I don't like the idea of being on wait list and don't have anything secured. Or it is rather easy to get a room in DL hotel with the points compare to booking VGC?

Any advice?

Thanks
Mickeytai

jimmytammy
11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Im interested in this too as we hope to book at 7 mos window for GC as well

backyardponder
11-14-2011, 05:47 PM
From other discussions, VGC is a small resort and it can be difficult to get it. If it were me, I'd book a room which can be cancelled without charge just in case.

DebbieB
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
So, i have been anxiously waiting for next week to call and make reservation for our DL trip in June 2012. Since we aren't owner of VGC,,we have to wait until the 7-month to call. We are planning to stay for 3 nights using our points. My plan B is stay at DL hotel For 2 night if there is no room available at VGC.

A thought came to me and I thought maybe I would ask the COllective Wisdom here.. Should I call DVc and make reservation with our points for DL hotel before calling next week for VGc? I Am paranoid since I don't like the idea of being on wait list and don't have anything secured. Or it is rather easy to get a room in DL hotel with the points compare to booking VGC?

Any advice?

Thanks
Mickeytai

Once you use the points for the DL Hotel, they become reservation points and cannot be then used for a DVC resort. So your plan would not work. You could book a cash reservation as a backup (through regular reservations, not member services).

I don't think you would have a problem using points for DL Hotel or PPH. I've used points at PPH twice with short notice. But again, once you book that the room cannot be cancelled and then used for a DVC resort.

Breyean
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
We ran into this issue last month for a Halloween visit to DLR. Even though we own at VGC, we waited too long and couldn't get a reservation, so we wait listed there.

We then waited until just after the 30 day window before our trip (because a lot of wait lists seem to open up at 30 days since the cancellation policy changes after 30 days.

THEN we booked a room at PP (DLH also was available, but we wanted to try PP).

The reason we did it in that order was because once you use DVC points to book the PP or DLH, they become reservation points. If you cancel (like say, the wait list for VGC comes through) those points do not go back to being full blown DVC points, and you are limited as to what you can do with them.

I'm sure others here with more knowledge and experience will give you a better answer, but I wanted to make sure I at least brought this issue up if you hadn't thought of it.

mickeytai
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
You guys are awesome. Glad I asked in advance. :)
mickeytai

mickeytai
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
You could book a cash reservation as a backup (through regular reservations, not member services).

So, if I put in a cash reservation, can I change it to using DVC points afterwards?

Chuck S
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
So, if I put in a cash reservation, can I change it to using DVC points afterwards?

Not necessarily. You could book a new DVC Point reservation at the DL hotel, and cancel your cash reservation IF there are rooms available on points. DVC seems to have a similar agreement with the cash resorts as most convention-type reservations....making a specific number of rooms available to DVC, just as they would for a discounted convention group.

In all likelihood, booking cash, then booking on points and canceling cash would work, but there is no guarantee.

joelnkelly
11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I was able to secure a 2 bedroom dedicated at the 7 month window for the week of June 9-14, and a studio for our last night stay the 15th. I just called this morning and was able to book that studio. She said they currently had plenty of availability.

mickeytai
11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I am thinking of June 19-22 (3 nights) for a studio, I wonder if there is anything available. I will be so anxious for the next 5 days (will call on Nov 19th). Finger crossed.

taaren
11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I've gotten PPH and DLH at the last minute on points (within 48 hours of check in), so I wouldn't book that on points until the 30 day mark if you have to wait list and if your wait list doesn't come through. A cash backup might not be a bad idea though.
I called MS to try for that same week since we had to move our reservation from the weekend of the 10th, and the 17th studios were sold out as of last Tuesday. Got the 18th though, so I think mid-week you will probably be able to get your reservation... Sundays tend to be worse since its both people who are looking for the low weekday points and people who like weekends ...