PDA

View Full Version : More than one owners locker???

mimmiepnp
11-14-2011, 08:43 AM
We are leaving in 3 weeks for WDW :banana:

I just began to think about the fact that on our last morning we are always sitting on our owners locker to get it closed (and praying that it will close):scared1: so I am now thinking of getting a second locker.

How many of my fellow DVCers have a second locker or do you just sit (and pray) on the first one to get it closed??

Mimmie:)

horselover
11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
We sit on ours & pray that it will close too! :laughing: We've also considered adding a 2nd one but I'm just not sure I can justify the expense.

SamSam
11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
We have a second one that we call our 'Office in a Box'. We have to work half days most of the time we're at WDW, so we have a printer, flat screen monitors, etc. in it.

I know sounds awful, but there is a plus side...we can stay much longer!:goodvibes

jdvm
11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
well, first of all, it's supposed to take 2 people to properly close a Locker...one person to sit on it...and another to put the seals on!!

About 20% of our Members have more than one Locker. the vast majority have two...but we have quite a few with three and up...the record is 10, by the way.
j

dianeschlicht
11-14-2011, 09:44 AM
well, first of all, it's supposed to take 2 people to properly close a Locker...one person to sit on it...and another to put the seals on!!

About 20% of our Members have more than one Locker. the vast majority have two...but we have quite a few with three and up...the record is 10, by the way.
j

TEN!!!!??? I would never use that much stuff on vacation. We are still the "sit and pray" type here with one locker. Poor John...He has to carry those things!

Elise79
11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
We have 2 lockers - one has clothes only the other has all the other 'stuff' that makes it like coming home!

Candace
11-14-2011, 12:00 PM
I just got my second one this week. It will be waiting with my first when I return to WDW on the 29th. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and we had to repack a couple of times and then sit on it as well. I know that when I travel solo, I just wouldn't be able to close it. The second one will be used primarily for clothes, sheets, pillows, etc. I'll see how it goes..... At least I know that I can close them by myself.

tworgs
11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
We have 3 and absolutely love it we travel with carry on luggage We have every thing from our Mickey mouse tea pot to sweat shirts the only thing we bring down is nicer cloths for dinner out otherwise every thing is safely kept by John

LisaS
11-14-2011, 01:38 PM
We have two. It was just taking too long on check out day to keep rearranging things in the locker to try to get everything to fit! Trouble is, now I'm finding new things to fill up the new locker! On our last trip I added an illuminated magnifying mirror since I have one at home and really miss having one while on vacation.

BirdsOfPreyDave
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
We have two. I have them organized as an essentials box that gets delivered every trip, and a long trip box which we only pay to have delivered on extended trips in villas with a kitchen.

jekjones1558
11-14-2011, 04:59 PM
We have 3 and 2 of them are getting too full. People keep buying us Disney stuff and our lockers keep filling up. We have 1 locker that just has Christmas and Halloween stuff.

Cyndibear
11-14-2011, 06:09 PM
We have 2 also and have to sit on one of them to get it closed. Just love it!!!

Cyndi

kdzgon
11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
We have two. I have them organized as an essentials box that gets delivered every trip, and a long trip box which we only pay to have delivered on extended trips in villas with a kitchen.

We had two at one time, and dropped down to one once we moved within driving distance. I imagine I could easily keep that second one filled, but have a bit of trouble justifying the cost. I don't own enough clothing (and DGS grows too quickly!) to store them in a Disney locker.

I do, however have my stuff packed into stackable boxes within the locker. Some get pulled at every stay, and others only if we are in a room larger than a studio. I lose a little room but save lots of time unpacking and repacking.

I'm excited because with the new wifi availability I won't need my equipment any more. It's not a travel router, so I'll pick up a little room for something new in my OL!

Dizny Dad
11-16-2011, 06:03 AM
We just added our second one to house the Kuerig!

And, yes, I always had dreams of getting a phone call from John that the seals on our OL had hit someone in the eye when our locker exploded while being stored between stays.

So has the second OL alleviated the danger of our stuff being blown all over the warehouse? No. It has just opened up the possibility for DW to keep more stuff permanently on vacation, waiting for us to join the fun.

Looking forward to OL #3!

Thanks John! :thumbsup2

horselover
11-16-2011, 06:20 AM
We had two at one time, and dropped down to one once we moved within driving distance. I imagine I could easily keep that second one filled, but have a bit of trouble justifying the cost.

This is exactly what I'm having a hard time getting past. I know I could easily fill that 2nd locker, but is it really worth $200/yr plus the cost of multiple visits? I don't know.

So for those that have 2 or more lockers I ask you this. Is it all about the convenience no matter the cost or is it to save money on luggage fees?

ToddyLu
11-16-2011, 07:06 AM
:) We added our second one two weeks ago. DH just had to have his own box. My box is named Duffy after a beloved pet (now passed on) noted here on the DIS boards--her parents are big OL fans--so I hope that was OK. DH calls his the "Pooh" box :sad2: I am so sure it has nothing to due with a cuddly bear.

He prefers to sleep under a fleece blanket and then stores 100 of those small aliens from Toy Story in his box. He also keeps 100 of them in his office at home. He loves taking those things out each trip at putting them under the TV. I am just glad they are not in my box anymore taking up space....more room for my holiday decorations and stuff.

We feel that our Disney trips are not about saving money--just enjoying ourselves. I think as time goes on we will be packing more clothes items in each of them. For us it works great.

Best Aunt
11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Is it all about the convenience no matter the cost or is it to save money on luggage fees?

One thing that I haven't seen here is anyone asking how big the families are. If you're storing stuff for more people, wouldn't it make sense that you would use more lockers?

kdzgon
11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
This is exactly what I'm having a hard time getting past. I know I could easily fill that 2nd locker, but is it really worth $200/yr plus the cost of multiple visits? I don't know.

So for those that have 2 or more lockers I ask you this. Is it all about the convenience no matter the cost or is it to save money on luggage fees?

If/when we had to fly in, ABSOLUTELY worth it. Harder to justify (incl the visit fees) now that we drive and (thanks to school schedules) often visit for just a weekend. Even with that I have been tempted more than once to just go for it - the convenience is really great.

SamSam
11-16-2011, 09:58 PM

For us it's about convenience, also about having things to give our villa that homey feel. Things I would never have packed, we store in one of our OL's; framed pics of our kids and grandkids, a mini Keurig, a hand drink mixer (for breakfast smoothies), a feather pillow,and then of course, all the usual toiletries, rain ponchos, umbrellas, first aid items, etc.

I'm often called the Queen of Frugal and it took me a long time to finally take the leap and get our first OL (husband was all for it), I've not regretted it once. Okay, maybe briefly the month we're charged the yearly fee, still it's totally worth it to me.

KAT4DISNEY
11-17-2011, 12:10 AM
And, yes, I always had dreams of getting a phone call from John that the seals on our OL had hit someone in the eye when our locker exploded while being stored between stays.

I'm so happy to hear I haven't been the only one expecting that call!! :rotfl:

Dizny Dad
11-17-2011, 05:44 AM
. . . . . . . So for those that have 2 or more lockers I ask you this. Is it all about the convenience no matter the cost or is it to save money on luggage fees?

It is just for convenience. Certainly we try our best to maximize our dollars; at disney or the rest of the year, but trying to justify saving money on why we do things to get to Disney would be like considering the cheap floormats for the BMW. We can also tell friends that we now have two places in Florida to keep our stuff. :rolleyes1

And as you know, antlers will not fit in the overhead or under the seat. ;)

horselover
11-17-2011, 06:44 AM
It is just for convenience. Certainly we try our best to maximize our dollars; at disney or the rest of the year, but trying to justify saving money on why we do things to get to Disney would be like considering the cheap floormats for the BMW. We can also tell friends that we now have two places in Florida to keep our stuff. :rolleyes1

And as you know, antlers will not fit in the overhead or under the seat. ;)

I like the way you roll Dizny Dad! :laughing:

I think I have been convinced a 2nd locker is the way to go. I wonder what DH will say when the 2nd locker shows up next month? :rolleyes1

BirdsOfPreyDave
11-17-2011, 08:47 AM
I wonder what DH will say when the 2nd locker shows up next month? :rolleyes1He'll say the exact same thing my partner said when ours showed up last year...

"How the heck is it that we've gone from one locker to two and I can't get the stupid lid on either one of them? Stop buying stuff to leave down here!"

horselover
11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
He'll say the exact same thing my partner said when ours showed up last year...

"How the heck is it that we've gone from one locker to two and I can't get the stupid lid on either one of them? Stop buying stuff to leave down here!"

:rotfl2:

BirdsOfPreyDave
11-17-2011, 08:58 AM

So for those that have 2 or more lockers I ask you this. Is it all about the convenience no matter the cost or is it to save money on luggage fees?Convenience. Definitely.

It's nothing I could ever justify with a spreadsheet. It's just nice to know that the things we'll need will be down there, and I don't have to deal with the 5-page killer packing list each trip.

I will relay, though, that an up-to-date inventory list is vital. Ask me about our trip this past July for which, unbeknownst to me, my partner packed no socks, shorts, or shirts for himself. Guess what was no longer in the Owner's Locker? We couldn't close the lid the year before, and had brought those things home with us. (One of the reasons we were having a second locker delivered.) We didn't have a car, so the next three days became a constant argument over, "I'm not going to pay that for a pair of shorts!" and "No, the shirt has to be nylon because cotton makes me break out," and "No, I'm not paying for a taxi to Walmart." I kept begging him to let me just run out and buy some new clothes for him, but he was having none of it. (I would have gladly paid the price of the taxi and new clothes to make the whole situation just go away.)

Fortunately, friends were joining us for the second part of our trip and had keys to our house. They brought his stuff down with them, and I could stop washing his one outfit every night.

MinnieGirl33
11-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Add us to the list of those with 2; 1 for clothes, 1 for stuff.

Elise79
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM

It's all about the convenience :) we fly from the UK and could bring 2 checked bags each - 6 for the 3 of us but would rather have only one or maybe 2. It's makes travelling easier and less stressful as I am not worrying that the airlines will lose our stuff!

DizGirl20
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
OP - When I first read your post I immediately :lmao:!!!!! We always have to sit on ours to get it closed. Well, I do the sitting while DH does the muttering and sputtering trying to get it closed.:headache:

I am always amazed at the very end of our trip when we stuff in our air mattress and sheets! I keep thinking we should get a 2nd one just for the mattress but somehow it all fits!

Goofy DVC
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
We have 2, mostly for convenience. My DW wasn't real sure about my idea of getting OL at first, but just this trip admitted that it was a great idea. That's when the earth shook. Then she asked if she could squeeze her hairdryer in one. Of course I said "yes sweatheart". See what a guy can learn after only 26 years.