PDA

View Full Version : Doorway To Dreams Event???

PoohsFan1
11-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello--not sure if this is in the right place so mods please feel free to move it if it isn't. I was wondering if anyone who lives in an area that has a Doorway to Dreams store near you, if you go to any of the events there. There is an event at the Schaumburg store that DH really would like to go to but I am not sure it really is worth it since we live an hour away. I read that they were handing out limited edition DVC ornaments to those that come (which I am very interested in getting) and to make sure you bring your camera, which to me, sounds like Mickey or one of his pals will be there for pictures (kids would love to see that). Anyone who has gone to one of these events, could you please fill me in on what to expect? Is it more for trying to get people to buy more points? We are in the market to buy more points, which is why I think my DH is wanting to go so badly, just not sure if we should just wait and talk to our guide about it. The event is this coming Sunday. Thanks for your help.

FigmentLady
11-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I just posted some info in the thread below this. DTD member mix and mingle I think is the name of the thread.
Last year I think Mickey and Minnie were at the NY event. They hand out ornaments, have free snacks and beverages I believe there may have been a presentation about Aulani last year, and there was special event only incentives which i can't remember. If we lived an hour away I'm not sure I would go unless we wanted to buy more points direct. Living less than 10 minutes away I hate to miss the events.

PoohsFan1
11-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Thank you so much for your help and fast response :goodvibes. I am going to go over to that other thread and check that out. DH and I are planning on buying more points directly, therefore we will probably drive the hour and see what they say (we'll make a day of it)....plus it would be nice to say hi to Mickey and Minnie and tell them we will be at their house in a couple of months :). Thanks again for your help.

ospopo5
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
We make a trip out of it to go to the Schaumburg one. We have been invited to other events too. There was a big party downtown with Mickey and pals, food and DJ. We were also invited to a special meet n greet with Phinneas and ferb too.

Is it worth just going for that, not if you have to travel far, but you could spend time at the mall, etc. In my opinion this is not a hard sell event.

skylynx
11-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Before we moved to Colorado, we went to at least one of these per year. We were even lucky enough to win one of the big sweepstakes prizes their first year in Schaumburg which was a four-night, all-expense-paid trip to WDW! The big prize at each member event has been much more conservative ever since (it's been more like one-time use points, a Disney gift card, or an RCI trade). They usually do a cute show, have some quiz-style giveaways and snacks. The one we attended that coincided with the opening of AKV served amazing African appetizers created by the chef from Boma or Jiko. It is NOT a hard sell at all...you can walk right out afterwards. All the ones we attended had character meet and greet/photo op/dance party at the end. It's fun. I'll miss going.

PoohsFan1
11-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks everyone for their responses. I think we will take the drive and go see what it is all about. We became DVC members in September 2010 so we are relatively new to all of this still. I think the kids will get a kick out of the whole thing (especially seeing the characters) and afterwards we could just make a day at the mall there....I know there is a Rainforest Cafe at that mall which we could do lunch too. Sounds like it will be a fun family day. Thanks again you all are awesome!!!! :goodvibes

NeedMorePoints
11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
My wife and I attended last year's event. Did end up buying more points but not because of the cheesecake they served after the presentation. We plan to be there this year too. DtoD Schaumberg is as close to the magic as I can get without flying. Can't wait to hear "Welcome Home".

disneynutz
11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
The only reason that these "events" are held is to sell people DVC contracts. If you want to buy direct and pay a premium price for your points then go there and buy. You need to understand that that Christmas ornament, cheesecake, drink and photo op could cost you a couple of thousand dollars.

I would at least get a price from your Guide before you buy from a stranger to see which deal is best.

:earsboy: Bill

tjkraz
11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
The only reason that these "events" are held is to sell people DVC contracts. If you want to buy direct and pay a premium price for your points then go there and buy. You need to understand that that Christmas ornament, cheesecake, drink and photo op will cost you a couple of thousand dollars.

Laying it on a little thick tonight, eh Bill? ;)

Sure, DVC uses these opportunities to sell points. But there is absolutely no reason why a member couldn't pick up an ornament, grab a free rice krispie square, pose for some photos and get out of there without opening the checkbook.

The bold part above (in particular) is absolutely false. No obligation to buy. No hard sell sales pitch. Picking up an ornament and a snack will not cost thousands of dollars.

Friendofpluto
11-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I love the Doorway to Dream Events. The Christmas ornament is the same ornament they give out in WDW for the DVC Christmas
event. I have never felt pressured to buy at any of their events.

disneynutz
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Laying it on a little thick tonight, eh Bill? ;)

Sure, DVC uses these opportunities to sell points. But there is absolutely no reason why a member couldn't pick up an ornament, grab a free rice krispie square, pose for some photos and get out of there without opening the checkbook.

The bold part above (in particular) is absolutely false. No obligation to buy. No hard sell sales pitch. Picking up an ornament and a snack will not cost thousands of dollars.

True it only costs if you buy but if the majority didn't, Disney wouldn't have these events.

I get so upset when I see people get taken advantage of, especially by Disney. Sure we all have free will, but some of these folks have zero idea of what they are buying and they trust that Disney will look out for their best interests. Disney doesn't need the hard sell because they are Disney and everyone loves Disney.

Getting old can be tough. :goodvibes

tjkraz
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM
True it only costs if you buy but if the majority didn't, Disney wouldn't have these events.

I'm sure it's far from a majority. But then these events don't cost much to put on. This one is right in the sales center. They aren't paying for space. May be some added staffing cost (characters.) Ornaments are ordered in bulk and refreshments won't be anything elaborate.

Meanwhile they'll certainly close a few more sales than they otherwise would and plant the seed in the minds of many others (by touring model rooms, chatting with other members, etc.)

I get so upset when I see people get taken advantage of, especially by Disney. Sure we all have free will, but some of these folks have zero idea of what they are buying and they trust that Disney will look out for their best interests. Disney doesn't need the hard sell because they are Disney and everyone loves Disney.

Yeah, but at some point you have to hold the consumers accountable.

Sure buying direct costs more but we all have the tools available to make that determination. Is this really any different than charging $25 for a Mickey Mouse t-shirt when you could get something comparable for $12 at WalMart? Or paying $35 for dinner at Mama Melrose when it would be $20 at Olive Garden?

DVC exists to sell. They aren't holding people hostage and, in most cases, they aren't being dishonest in their sales pitch. Resources are readily available to inform consumers about resale, Home resort value, etc.

I've been to Welcome Home Wednesdays, Merry Mixers, cruise line sales sessions and other DVC special events. And every time I've picked up my freebies, listened attentively and walked away without buying any more points. If others are choosing to add-on at those events, I guess that's their prerogative.

quirty30
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM

I truly doubt the majority of attendees to these events purchase an add on. I've attended several and never added on. We live so close to Doorway to Dreams that we sometimes stop by to say "hi" to my guide and he usually gives me & the kids a little goodie bag - and he knows darn well I have no intention of adding on.

CMOORE185
11-14-2011, 09:09 PM

:earsboy: BillI agree with the others, I think a very small percentge actually buy. I think most people go to experience a little magic in between trips.
To the OP I have been to some good events and some not so good events. I personally wouldn't drive an hour to see any of them, unless I were planning to do other things. The fact the event is in the store itself tells me it won't be a big production.

skylynx
11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Just in case you don't already know this, you can stop in to DTD anytime during the holiday period to pick up your ornament...you just give your name so they know people aren't doubling and tripling up to sell them on ebay. You do not need to attend any event to get an ornament. Was a nice perk of living nearby.

CMOORE185
11-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Just in case you don't already know this, you can stop in to DTD anytime during the holiday period to pick up your ornament...you just give your name so they know people aren't doubling and tripling up to sell them on ebay. You do not need to attend any event to get an ornament. Was a nice perk of living nearby.I'll bet you can stop by Doorway to Dreams any time during the holidays and pick up an ornament too. In fact I'll give it a try.

lugnut33
11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Been to a couple of the events, didn't buy, and now I don't get invited. However, when we are at Woodfield Mall we always swing by DTD to see what's up.

NeedMorePoints
11-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Sorry if I sounded so naive. Last November my wife and I were in the market for more BLT points. We had been checking the resale market. Our guide, who works out of DTD Woodfield, told us about an event coming up the weekend before Thanksgiving (just like this weekend). We attended the event, found out that the cost difference between resale and direct purchase was very small due to DVC discounts and no closing costs. We were also able to split the points into multiple contacts. We closed the purchase less than a week later. (Previous contract was purchased via TSS. Long and drawn out.)

I hope to find a similar deal at this upcoming event, but if not, I can still hear "Welcome Home".

PoohsFan1
11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Just in case you don't already know this, you can stop in to DTD anytime during the holiday period to pick up your ornament...you just give your name so they know people aren't doubling and tripling up to sell them on ebay. You do not need to attend any event to get an ornament. Was a nice perk of living nearby.

Thanks for the heads up :goodvibes, if we ever decide to head that way to do some Christmas shopping, I may very well just do that :thumbsup2.

DizBub
11-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Sorry if I sounded so naive. Last November my wife and I were in the market for more BLT points. We had been checking the resale market. Our guide, who works out of DTD Woodfield, told us about an event coming up the weekend before Thanksgiving (just like this weekend). We attended the event, found out that the cost difference between resale and direct purchase was very small due to DVC discounts and no closing costs. We were also able to split the points into multiple contacts. We closed the purchase less than a week later. (Previous contract was purchased via TSS. Long and drawn out.)

I hope to find a similar deal at this upcoming event, but if not, I can still hear "Welcome Home".

We added on (BLT) during this event last year also. At that time direct vs resale was not worth doing the resale hassle and closing costs. Direct is pretty darn painless........until you gotta pay the bill. :laughing: I'd do it again though. Hopefully the incentives this year will be decent.

ckpoodge
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I'll bet you can stop by Doorway to Dreams any time during the holidays and pick up an ornament too. In fact I'll give it a try.

I wish I would have known that - we waited 2 1/2 hours in line. We were happy to do it, but if I could have walked in there next week and got an ornament, I would have been happier.

Oh well, at least we have a nice family photo with Minnie.

quirty30
11-21-2011, 06:31 PM
I wish I would have known that - we waited 2 1/2 hours in line. We were happy to do it, but if I could have walked in there next week and got an ornament, I would have been happier.

Oh well, at least we have a nice family photo with Minnie.

Judging from the turnout, I wouldn't be 100% sure that they still have ornaments left. Has anyone called to confirm?

Finally DVC
11-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Judging from the turnout, I wouldn't be 100% sure that they still have ornaments left. Has anyone called to confirm?

Fortunately I forgot about the event yesterday. I picked up an ornament this morning. No waiting. :sad2:

quirty30
11-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Fortunately I forgot about the event yesterday. I picked up an ornament this morning. No waiting. :sad2:

Thanks so much - I'm just a few minutes from the mall so I'll stop by tomorrow!

supernova
11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I walked into the store today (Tuesday) and asked if I could get my ornament since I wasn't able to make it on Sunday. They checked their computer, saw that I didn't get one, and gave me not only the 2011 but also a 2010 since they knew I missed last year's (that database is SCARY). No sales pitch at all. They took me into a room, we sat down and talked about my upcoming trip in December, and that was it. No sales pressure, just a really great visit that psyched me up for my trip!

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/supernova222/IMAG0641.jpg
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/supernova222/IMAG0642.jpg

quirty30
11-22-2011, 09:20 PM
I stopped by after work tonight at Woodfield and saw my guide. Got my ornament and had a nice, long chat. No crowds - YAY. I must be the only Disney fanatic in the world with an aversion to crowds.

PoohsFan1
11-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks supernova for the pics...the ornament looks great. We were unable to attend the event on Sunday due to both DH and I had to work (after all that), but since we are both off on Saturday, we decided that we will take a trip to DTD to check it out (never been inside before) and possibly get an ornament too.

supernova
11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
I stopped by after work tonight at Woodfield and saw my guide. Got my ornament and had a nice, long chat. No crowds - YAY. I must be the only Disney fanatic in the world with an aversion to crowds.
I'm with you. I get enough crowds in Manhattan Monday to Friday. Especially at this time of the year. I work on 37th and 7th, so heading anywhere near Times Square is awful, especially at lunch time.

Thanks supernova for the pics...the ornament looks great. We were unable to attend the event on Sunday due to both DH and I had to work (after all that), but since we are both off on Saturday, we decided that we will take a trip to DTD to check it out (never been inside before) and possibly get an ornament too.
You're welcome. Not a single person at the store when I arrived, and they had last year's ornament for me, so I'm sure they will at least have this year's ornament when you and your husband arrive.

dr&momto2boys
11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
How cool to get 2010 and 2011 ornaments! :goodvibes

I just wanted to chime in about the Doorway to Dreams events too. (I know the recent was different than the ones I've been to/not a show.) We've gone to 2 of them in the past. There is never any pressure. You have to seek out a CM to talk or purchase points. AND these events offered better incentives than you could get from calling your guide. If you purchase, your guide still gets credit. The first event we went to was because we wanted to buy BLT points and were looking for the best deal (incentives.)

The second time we went, we had no intention of buying points. We went for the freebies, food, and character interaction. It was awesome and no one tried to sell us (beyond watching the show.)

PoohsFan1
11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
An update---DH, both DDs and I all went to DTD to see if we could get an ornament from last week. We also wanted to talk to a guide because we were interested in adding on points. When we first walked in, a very nice gentlemen took our name and told us that our guide would be out momentarily. Then I proceeded to ask if they had any more ornaments from last weekend. He said that as of right now they are all out, but our guide is going to see what she could do since we drove a long way just to come and see them. Luckily, the guide found a few bags laying around in the back with ornaments, a luggage tag, info on DVC, and a few Mickey prints that are like the prints that are in BLT. I was very excited about that since we are putting up our tree tonight. Then my girls were let into the play area where they played wii while the guide, my DH, and I talked about adding on. We ended up leaving today signing a 100 pt. contract at SSR. We originally wanted to buy into BCV, but when you compare $115/pp for BCV to $99/pp for SSR, it became a no brainer. We are beyond excited and couldn't be more happier with DTD and the guide that we talked to :yay:.

disneynutz
11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
How cool to get 2010 and 2011 ornaments! :goodvibes

I just wanted to chime in about the Doorway to Dreams events too. (I know the recent was different than the ones I've been to/not a show.) We've gone to 2 of them in the past. There is never any pressure. You have to seek out a CM to talk or purchase points. AND these events offered better incentives than you could get from calling your guide. If you purchase, your guide still gets credit. The first event we went to was because we wanted to buy BLT points and were looking for the best deal (incentives.)

The second time we went, we had no intention of buying points. We went for the freebies, food, and character interaction. It was awesome and no one tried to sell us (beyond watching the show.)

Your Guide of record gets a partial commission not a full one when you buy from someone else.