PDA

View Full Version : 11 months out-which size unit to try to reserve?


Simba's Mom
11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Others must have had this dilema-our 11 month window opens next week. However, we won't know how many people are going for several more months. So which size unit should I try to get now? Probably the most difficult-studio, 1 BR, or 2 BR. DH doesn't know yet if he'll be able to get the time off; DDIL has medical issues so we don't know yet if DS/DDIL, and DGD will be able to go; or maybe I'll end up as a solo, in which case I only need the studio. DS and his family would mean a 2 BR. DH and I like the 1 BR. Me alone, anything larger than a studio is a waste of points. So fellow DISers, what now?

tomandrobin
11-13-2011, 10:34 AM
If borrowing the points is an issue, I would just book a couple rooms that you might need.

If you have to borrow points, use them for your reservation...you won't be canceling your room. Use the current points for everyone else.

I would give everyone a set date to confirm when they can or can't go. Tell them if the decide no, but change their mind, you can try to get a room later but there are no guarantees of what resort they will be staying.

Deb & Bill
11-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd hold off until you can get a better head count. Unless your home resort is BWV or BCV and you are trying to get F&W Festival time, you probably don't have to worry about booking right away at 11 months out.

wdrl
11-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd make sure that I could still bank any points if I ended up downsizing to a smaller accommodation. And as tomandrobin said, I wouldn't borrow any points until I know that your family has committed to joining you.

I know you are a fan of AKV. If I had the points, I might book an AKV Value studio as soon as the 11-month window opens for two reasons. One, it sounds like you are planning on going to WDW in October 2012 even if DH and DS can't join you, so the studio becomes the fall-back position if you end up doing a solo trip; and two, the AKV Value studios get snapped up quickly and they might not be available at the 7-month window.

If it turns out that DH and DS & family can join you, you can cancel the AKV studio and then apply those points toward a 2-bedroom at whatever resort is available.

Good luck!

Disney Princess
11-13-2011, 01:02 PM
You are trying to book BCV for October, right? I know that the 11-month window is important. If points weren't the issue, I would recommend getting a studio and a 1BR booked as separate units. Obviously, for a week that is 40 more points than a 2 BR, but it gives you the flexibility to cancel one part and bank the points (if you cancel within the right time frame) if someone cancels. Of course if everyone comes, you'll be out the 40 extra points (presuming it is a full week).

No easy answer - I wish you luck as you plan.

DebbieB
11-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I agree with Disney Princess, I would book a studio and 1 bedroom separate.

Simba's Mom
11-14-2011, 11:48 AM
If borrowing the points is an issue, I would just book a couple rooms that you might need.

If you have to borrow points, use them for your reservation...you won't be canceling your room. Use the current points for everyone else.

I would give everyone a set date to confirm when they can or can't go. Tell them if the decide no, but change their mind, you can try to get a room later but there are no guarantees of what resort they will be staying.

Borrowing would be an issue if I wanted anything larger than a studio, thanks for the reminder. So, since needing to borrow could create problems if I need to cut back or cancel, I'll be reserving a studio. Then DH has until 7 months out to say if he might join me. He's pretty sure we won't have DS's family, so we won't need the two bedroom. I'm so glad you reminded me about the borrowing.