PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Prices

livingskies78
11-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone
This is our first time to Flordia, we have rented a townhouse at WH, are family is not big at eating everyone meal out as I have two picky little boys. There favorite suppper includes PB squished sandwich, smokies, chicken nuggets.

Trying to budget out some meal prices, we had planned to go to Costco and do a grocery shop as we are down there for 10 days before our cruise but I don't know if is worth it, as Costco doesn't open to 11am.

Plan was to stop on the way from the airport, but as we arrive at 6:55am I think we will be chillin out at WH

So what are the grocery stores with the best prices without driving all over the place.

Meal Ideas
Brkft
Pancakes or Waffles/ Syrup
Cereal/ milk
Toast/pb and jam

Lunch
Grilled Cheese
Brown Bag Lunch - Sandwich (meat & cheese or PB) veggies, fruit, water, bag of chips
Potato Soup (chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, onions, roasted garlic) with Dinner Rolls
Leftovers
hotdogs and KD
Alpha-Ghetti

Dinner
Chicken Ceaser Wraps with Rotisseree Chicken
Spaghetti with Veggie Meat Sauce and Garlic Bread
Frozen Pizza & Salad
Chicken Strips and Fries
Burritos and Salad

Extras
Water probably a couple of flats
Granola Bars
Cookies for the DH
Fruit

We will have a couple of Meals out at
Sweet Tomatoes
Steak and Shake?

Danibelle
11-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I usually shop at the Publix on I-Drive (between WDW and SW). Depending on where you are from, the prices MAY be a bit higher than you are used to. I think the convenience and quality outweighs driving around Orlando looking for a bargain. :thumbsup2

bankr63
11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
You'll get a lot of variable opinions about the price of food down there, but for us Canadians, they will seem pretty reasonable. The only thing that surprises me is the OJ is no cheaper down there than it is here. Go figure :confused3

I won't give a specific store, as we always stay at Vistana, which is not too close to WH. I would recommend Publix as the best full service chain in the area. They will have prepared meals (rotisserie chicken) for your Ceasar salad, and a wide selection of everything you need. I have been to a couple of the stores down there, and they were both nice. Consumers Reports had them as one of the top rated chains in the South East last year.

We also pick up some of our groceries at Target and Wal-Mart, prices are a bit better, but I prefer a "real" grocery store as they will have everything on my list. There is a recent thread here about avoiding the Winn-Dixie on 192, that I think is near WH; the W-D we've been to near Crossroads does seem to be a step down from Publix.

Menu sounds delicious! Have fun!!

nepean
11-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I would bring my own alpha gehtti. I have never seen it at public or Walmart.

nepean
11-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I would bring my own alpha gehtti. I have never seen it at public or Walmart.

KayR
11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Walmart on the 27, just north of the 192 junction is a 24 hour Super Walmart. It will be open at 6.55am. I have shopped there at 3am when we landed in Tampa at midnight. Its nice and quiet that time of night! I always like to get my grocery shopping done as soon as we arrive.

Its approx 10-15 mins from Windsor Hills.

--Kay

dtum
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
We went to Super Target several times during our stay. It's maybe 10 min. from WH just off 192 at 3200 Rolling Oaks Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747. There is also a Sweet Tomatoes in the same plaza so you could kill two birds with one stone...eat at ST and then pick up your supplies if you like (that's what we did). There is also a Publix right across the street, but we thought Super Target had better prices.

kayaraelyn
11-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the great info, does Super target have everything from fresh fruit, to frozen. What about bakery items and fresh meat and deli
Thanks neapen about the tip about Alpha ghetti will pack it in the suitcase.

dtum
11-12-2011, 06:00 PM
The super target has everything just like super walmart, but we found it to be a little cleaner and a whole lot less crowded and crazy. We bought lots of fruit, drinks, meat and some frozen things...and yes, alas, our share of bakery products--but they were calling our name so we just had to.

Meshell2002
11-12-2011, 06:06 PM
We just got back....used the Winn Dixie near Crossroads (staying @ BLT). I do have a discount card for WD...and saved $10 off even though I didn't really shop off the sale flyer. You could sign up for the card and use it immediately. Publix is a little higher, but will have a bigger deli selection. I normally shop both of these stores as I'm from AL, they were about 2% higher than my at home prices...I wouldn't consider that a huge mark up. You can look online ahead if it will effect you meal choices....my crew isnt as picky so I tend to plan around sales. Remember even if you pay more for groceries than at home its still cheaper than eating all WDW food.

FYI....we spend about $70 (US) and aside from the rottiserrie chicken my meal choices were very similar to yours. There were 4 of us. I didn't buy any snacks as we drove and brought those from home. We had one pack of 24 waters....4 days in the park.

iloveokw
11-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Whenever we travel where there are Publix stores I always go online to see the weekly flyer. They often have many buy one/get one free so you might as well buy that brand. Good bakery and deli.

livingskies78
11-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Really no Alpha-ghetti didn't realize it was a canadians thing, I guess i'm gonna have to make room in my suitcase yikes 4 cans is 4 lbs.

How much is a case of water, we can get case of 36 bottles at Costco for 4.69 not on sale.

Thanks for all the tips on groceries.

Keep them coming

dtum
11-13-2011, 06:39 AM
In case your GPS doesn't work (the super target and sweet tomatoes are both newer so unless your maps are up-to-date they may not show). When you leave WH entry, turn left, go down to 192, turn left. Go down 192 and Super Target and Sweet Tomatoes are on the left. Publix is on the right. It's really easy to get around WH because everything is to the left on 192.

Also, what is Alpha-ghetti? Is it like Chef-Boy-R-Dee alphabet spaghetti?

ujpest_doza
11-13-2011, 07:04 AM
We thought grocery prices were really expensive and it was cheaper to eat out.

Sprockie
11-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Another good alternative to Alphagetti's is Campbell's Spagetti-O's. I believe it's a U.S. product - have never seen them here in Canada recently. I remember them in Canada as a kid, but no longer. We stock up when we're over the border.

Meshell2002
11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Another good alternative to Alphagetti's is Campbell's Spagetti-O's. I believe it's a U.S. product - have never seen them here in Canada recently. I remember them in Canada as a kid, but no longer. We stock up when we're over the border.

yes spagetti-o's are a US product, available just about all grocery stores. There is also another brand called Chefboyrde.

The 24 x 16oz pack of water was 3.98 at the crossroads Winn Dixie. I bought the cheapest per oz i could find.

Many junk food items are taxed in FL, but other items like milk and bread were not, not sure if chips are taxed as I didn't buy any. We have a flat 10% sales tax in AL.

jlevis
11-13-2011, 05:46 PM
We always shop at the Publix on I-Drive near WDW. There is another on Central Florida Parkway off I-Drive. They have an excellent selection including fresh fruit, deli items, bakery goods, meats etc. Prices are comperable to what we find locally near Detroit.

nichanda
11-18-2011, 09:26 AM
When we stay at the downtown Disney hotels, we just walk up to the Crossroads and buy anything we need there. The prices are a little higher than I would guess, however, it's still alot cheaper than eating on Disney.

We are still planning on eating most of our meals out. However, since our hotel room will have a mini fridge and a microwave, we are planning on purchasing a few items we can make in the room as well. Sometimes you just don't feel like restaurant food.

We plan on buying supplies to make nachos, sandwiches, cereal, etc. Not only will it save a bit of $$, it will be handy to not have to leave the room if you are already exhausted.