PDA

View Full Version : Most of the DVC units look, well, just outdated

SLJ6974
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I was really looking at the rooms of the DVC units on AllEars and almost all of them with the exception of AKVs and BLT units, the rooms look just outdated compared to their resort counterpart. Yuk. :scared1: I do understand the signifigance in the cost savings of the DVC untis, vs. rack rate at the deluxe resorts, but with a discount off of rack rate I would much rather have a resort room. I think the only DVC units I would even consider renting points at would be at AKV, BLT or BCV ( because of SAB). Has any of the other resorts been refurbed lately?

chalee94
11-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Has any of the other resorts been refurbed lately?

OKW and BWV were refurbed in the last year or so.

but they still might not be your style...and that's fine...

beachclub
11-07-2011, 07:34 PM
yes they were uppdated, but with only minor cosmetics, though the OKW ones must look cool with the hardwood.....
The beach club refurb prob 3 years ago now, was a joke of a refurb..they have to be the most outdated ones, right next to the wilderness lodge...they could have themed those better. THe Wilderness lodge villas would look awesome with hardwood in the rooms, they are a woodsy themed resort afterall.
I agress with the OP, they are pretty outdated...Even though SSR is still only like 5 years old, the rooms seem a bit too there too.....

tjkraz
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I do understand the signifigance in the cost savings of the DVC untis, vs. rack rate at the deluxe resorts, but with a discount off of rack rate I would much rather have a resort room.

That's certainly your prerogative. If you want to pay more for better headboards and wall sconces, go for it!

SLJ6974
11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
That's certainly your prerogative. If you want to pay more for better headboards and wall sconces, go for it!

We'll as long as the economy is in the tank, I'm sure some nice discounts will help some in that area. If it ever improves, I'm sure the price difference will be even greater though. Sad about BCVs though. I guess Disney knows people will still want to own there because of SAB, so they could really just let those villas go downhill.:sad2:

DebbieB
11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
We'll as long as the economy is in the tank, I'm sure some nice discounts will help some in that area. If it ever improves, I'm sure the price difference will be even greater though. Sad about BCVs though. I guess Disney knows people will still want to own there because of SAB, so they could really just let those villas go downhill.:sad2:

DVC is a timeshare. All expenses are paid for by member dues, not by Disney. Part of the dues money each year goes into a reserve fund for future repairs/renovations. I'd rather keep dues in line rather than spending money for high end refurbs.

disneynutz
11-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Even when the rooms are refurbed they look out dated because that is the theme of the resort, they are true to a earlier time period.

:earsboy: Bill

tjkraz
11-08-2011, 07:16 AM

The villas exist as they were originally sold to members. Designs may have changed a bit on linens but the general look and feel of the room is exactly what members purchased. The actual differences lie in the fact that Disney has upgraded many of its Deluxe hotel rooms over the past several years. But, as Debbie pointed out, the cost of such renovations on the villas would come out of members' pockets.

Disney has improved select aspects of all villa rooms. Sofabeds were upgraded within the past 5-7 years. All of the resorts now have flat panel TVs. Mattresses, comforters, carpet and other "soft goods" are replaced on a rotating schedule. But Disney is never going to spend members' money to completely renovate entire guest rooms every few years.

vicki_c
11-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't think the BCV has "gone downhill." I wonder sometimes whether people look @ it that way because the furnishings are different than the resort, less sophisticated and upscale.

But I wouldn't consider any of the DVC villas to have "gone downhill", just a few might be really worn and due for rehab (and I wouldn't put BCV in that category myself).

The decor is not likely to drastically change, so if you don't like the decor or think it's not good enough, I wouldn't purchase DVC.

BEASLYBOO
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
the rooms look just outdated compared to their resort counterpart. Yuk. :scared1:

I would disagree. I think many confuse theming/decor as being outdated. OKW just had a refurb, BWV the 2 years before, I love the theming!

I would much rather have a resort room.

Here in lies the distinction, I've always preferred a "villa" rather than a " hotel room", which is why I purchased DVC! "A home away from home.", not just a room!

Hey, timeshares aren't for everyone and if you prefer a hotel room, so be it, then DVC is probably not for you!

SLJ6974
11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Ya its not for me but I would like to rent some points one day at akv or blt.

BEASLYBOO
11-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Ya its not for me but I would like to rent some points one day at akv or blt. AKV and Kidani in particular is great! I think you would really enjoy the resort! Can't comment on BLT, haven't tried it yet! (not a fan of the "high rise")

WolfpackFan
11-08-2011, 09:58 AM
But Disney is never going to spend members' money to completely renovate entire guest rooms every few years.

And as an owner I agree with this completely.

mousefan1972
11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree. We have stayed at BCV, BWV, VWL, AKV-Jambo, and BLT and find the decor in all except BLT and AKV outdated. So much so that I can't see us using our BLT points to stay anywhere but our home resort.

disneynutz
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I agree. We have stayed at BCV, BWV, VWL, AKV-Jambo, and BLT and find the decor in all except BLT and AKV outdated. So much so that I can't see us using our BLT points to stay anywhere but our home resort.

Isn't outdated part of the theme of the resort, just like the theme of Main Street at the MK. Takes us back to a slower, simpler time.
We enjoy the looks of BWV, BCV, and VWL, that's why we bought there.

If you want a modern look, that's BLT.

bobbiwoz
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow, I love the BCV, BWV and VWL decor! :goodvibes I also love horsey details of the treehouse villas!

Deb & Bill
11-08-2011, 09:05 PM
The decor is the theming at the resort. No big yo-yos at DVC resort. No giant Mickey Mouses. Just like the Polynesian is themed to the polynesian decor and the Grand Floridian is themed to the early days of Florida, the DVC resorts are themed to their specific theme. And the part of the theming is the decor.

MouseMomx2
11-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Wow, I love the BCV, BWV and VWL decor! :goodvibes I also love horsey details of the treehouse villas!

I agree. I really don't see any of the DVC decor as outdated and we've stayed at them all. It is simply themed to reach property.

A&M's Mommy
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
To each their own. I find BWV, BCV and VWL outdated as well. Our villa at BWV was decorated just like my grandmother's house. :laughing: The kitchens have old white appliances and old cabinets. The countertops are also in need of updating. I agree the theming of VWL is superb; I just wish the actual villas were more up to date, not old and run down.

tjkraz
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
The themes are not outdated...at least not any more so than they were intended to be. Doesn't really make sense to create a turn-of-the-century seaside resort with a lot of brushed aluminum or animal prints.

However some of the furnishings, appliances, countertops and such could use upgrades. It will come in time--we just can't expect DVC to arbitrarily raise member dues even further so that BCV can get its granite countertops ahead of the expected schedule.

And speaking to OP's point, if you look at side-by-side photos of the Beach Club / BCV or BoardWalk Inn / Villas, it's pretty apparent that Disney has added some stylistic improvements to the hotel rooms in the past few years. It's really just window dressing. As I said in my first post, I wouldn't abandon DVC for wall sconces and better headboards--and higher prices--but others are welcome to do so if they see fit.

dan and scott
11-09-2011, 06:16 AM
I dont think any of the DVC resorts are "that" outdated. I think we tend to forget that OKW and BW once set the "gold standard" in DVC resorts without them you wouldn't have the newer resorts. They both have received updating AND keeping within their theme. I prefer the white countertops over the marble in myhome at the BW but have marble at my home at BLT. I much more prefer the non marble (corian) countertops at BW. My own personal home here in Ohio has god forbid --outdated laminate fake marble from the 70's. Yes my actual home was built in 1959 so I don't live in a McMansion in an afluent gated commmunity and I don't sip coffee on sunday morning while reading the Wall Street Journal from my library. I work every weekend to afford the simple luxury for me to stay at these fabulous "take me away from the real world" resorts.
I have stayed in both types of BW grand villas the updated 2 story last yr. was just awesome!! This yr the BLT grand villa MK view was as nice also although we had to call maintainance to change multiple light bulbs at both resorts.
Were lucky enough to have bought in in 98 when DVC was still just a "boughtique timeshare" as members were 30,000 not the 400,000 as it is today. So most all are points are paid for (quite a substantial sum) at the more reasonable prices DVC once had.

Scott

princessbride6205
11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I agree that some DVC resorts feel outdated - and it has nothing to do with the theme (in fact I don't want an ultra modern setting when I'm at a Disney resort). Obviously we want the theme that represents a different era or place. However, there is a difference with feeling like the resort is shabby or outdated and wanting a modern Boardwalk. If you look at period movies made in the 1970s, you can totally tell it is a 70s version of medieval England or whatever. I think the same is true in some of the resorts - they are a 1990s version of themselves. We felt this way at BCV (we totally expected to love it, but our room back in 2009 was pretty shabby).

A lot comes down to those floral bedspreads that even discount hotel chains don't use anymore! :laughing:

Tiger926
11-09-2011, 03:26 PM
The themes are not outdated...at least not any more so than they were intended to be. Doesn't really make sense to create a turn-of-the-century seaside resort with a lot of brushed aluminum or animal prints.

However some of the furnishings, appliances, countertops and such could use upgrades. It will come in time--we just can't expect DVC to arbitrarily raise member dues even further so that BCV can get its granite countertops ahead of the expected schedule.

And speaking to OP's point, if you look at side-by-side photos of the Beach Club / BCV or BoardWalk Inn / Villas, it's pretty apparent that Disney has added some stylistic improvements to the hotel rooms in the past few years. It's really just window dressing. As I said in my first post, I wouldn't abandon DVC for wall sconces and better headboards--and higher prices--but others are welcome to do so if they see fit.

Thanks for saying this. I had my English teacher hat on, and noticed right away that OP is talking about outdated decor or resort themes, as well as tired looking villas. Those are two different aspects altogether.

We have stayed at all DVC resorts except BLT, Treehouses and HHI, and we pretty much like all themes, but a few are tired, and in need of refurbishment in our opinion: Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club.

We absolutely have fallen in love with OKW, and prefer to stay there now as we love the 1 bedrooms! Love the refurbishment!:lovestruc

I can see how some of the themes/decor might seem outdated to some, if taken in isolation, but once you look at the broader theme across the resort, you can see how the villa decor fits in with that. That being said, we have felt that at BCV, BWV or VWL, that the themes were a bit oudated with the colours and decor used. We felt that way a few years back while staying at Yacht Club Concierge too, so I can understand with some of the resorts, they could use a bit of an updating to the actual resort theme, as some of those flowery bedspreads and white cabinets make for a more outdated look.

Interesting discussion, Tiger

Sammie
11-09-2011, 03:30 PM
As long as it is clean I could care less about flat screen tvs, granite, stainless steel, etc.

Not like I am living there for the rest of my life.

CarolMN
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
As long as it is clean I could care less about flat screen tvs, granite, stainless steel, etc.

Not like I am living there for the rest of my life.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I agree with you.

arthur06
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't care if it is a True 5 Star Resort.

Those places usually make me feel more uneasy then at home. I love that DVC rooms are more in line with how we live everyday.

jekjones1558
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I, myself, am old and tired looking. The good part of that is this: I have had enough bumps and bruises in my life's journey that I am thrilled to be able to stay at any DVC, no matter the decor. We have had to cancel enough reservations because of health problems or deaths that being able to make it to any DVC vacation is a huge blessing. So if you see a tired looking lady with a guy in a scooter who is smiling on her BW view balcony as though she has just won the lottery, that would be me. I am just too happy to worry about corian countertops or ugly bedspreads!

Caren90
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=jekjones1558;43199405]I, myself, am old and tired looking. The good part of that is this: I have had enough bumps and bruises in my life's journey that I am thrilled to be able to stay at any DVC, no matter the decor. We have had to cancel enough reservations because of health problems or deaths that being able to make it to any DVC vacation is a huge blessing. So if you see a tired looking lady with a guy in a scooter who is smiling on her BW view balcony as though she has just won the lottery, that would be me. I am just too happy to worry about corian countertops or ugly bedspreads![/QUOTE

Your perspective on this topic (and life itself) is quite refreshing. We have a tendency to scrutinize and find all that is wrong rather than emphasizing the things that are right. Your attitude and wisdom should be recognized as a valuable lesson of how we should approach day to day life.
Stephen

LisaS
11-09-2011, 08:09 PM
We have stayed at all DVC resorts except BLT, Treehouses and HHI, and we pretty much like all themes, but a few are tired, and in need of refurbishment in our opinion: Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club.I haven't stayed at BCV but I absolutely love VWL just the way it is. I would be quite upset if they did anything that changed the feel of the villas there. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. What some find "tired" I find charming and comfortable.

I do appreciate the flat screen TVs however!

wbl2745
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
An aspect of DVC that we seem to be missing is that, IMHO, there is a big difference between a hotel room and a 1 bedroom (or 2 or 3!) villa. An apt comparison may be between a hotel room and a studio, but I haven't ever stayed in a studio. We always get at least a 1 bedroom villa.

So in my mind, the comparison is between a 1 bedroom villa and a 1 bedroom suite. In that context, although the suite may have been updated more recently, the cost is exorbitant. If I could afford to always pay for Disney suites, I probably wouldn't own DVC.

Our own resort is VGC, which is quite new so I haven't felt it was outdated. We've also stayed at AKV, which I felt was very up to date, including Jambo House. I can't comment on any other resort.

RooRach0906
11-09-2011, 10:33 PM
We recently stayed at OKW and we thought the decor/theming was wonderful in the room. It really had a relaxing/beach feel. We did feel as if they needed a splash area or zero entry pool added not much for 1-3 children but nothing else...
I also love that DVC feels more like a home than a timeshare and I think its because of the themes.

pharmlivin
11-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes, the kitchen in particular is in need of updating...but a bigger concern was the condition of the bathroom floor tiles. When you walked on them they made a crunching sound. It seems there might have been water issues or the tiles were laid on a poor sub-floor...they do need to be repaired or replaced. Everything was clean though. We had a prior stay at AKL and I think the immediate switch to VWL might have emphisized its "out-dated-ness".

ML_LovesDisney
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I feel that way about BCV, BWV, and SSR but they all have other redeeming qualities so it's okay. I love BLT and AKV the most though for the rooms. :goodvibes

Starr W.
11-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Owning other TS's other then DVC, the older DVC resorts do have a very "1990's" feel to them.

Was just at SSR last weekend, and those printed bedspreads just scream "dated" to me.

Years ago was at a business conference at the GF, small meeting to test out Disney. The deal killer was the theme, "looked like my Gram's house". Annual meeting ended up being booked at Marriott's World Center.

DVC SSR Owner
11-13-2011, 09:17 AM
We stayed in a studio at BCV and an inn room at VB. We thought BCV was in great condition except for several big snags in the carpet. Berber is prone to this. We thought the room at VB was great except the bathroom was horribly outdated and a lot of cracked tiles/mold. We spent very little time in the rooms though! Great grounds and facilities at both resorts.

vacationclub
11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Owning other TS's other then DVC, the older DVC resorts do have a very "1990's" feel to them.

Was just at SSR last weekend, and those printed bedspreads just scream "dated" to me.

Years ago was at a business conference at the GF, small meeting to test out Disney. The deal killer was the theme, "looked like my Gram's house". Annual meeting ended up being booked at Marriott's World Center.

SSR, built just a few years ago, has printed bedspreads for a reason, just like every other themed resort has something that meets it's theme. If you don't like the theme, try another.

GF is supposed to look like your grams house....some people like that. Disney is a fantasy world, so you're not going to get a vanilla carbon copy of all the modern hotels. And, BLT does look more modern because, not only is it newer, but it's designed to look.....contemporary. (it's part of the contemporary resort). But they were trying to split the difference between modern day contemporary, and be true to it's home resort that has more of a "70's" contemporary. (when it was built).

supernova
11-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I haven't had a chance to go through every post over the three pages, but I'm glad there are others who feel this way. On one trip especially, I noticed that the condition of VWL was at an all-time low. The water fountain in the lobby of the Villas had the faucet portion removed and was left sitting there (not that anyone uses it, but c'mon, put a plant there or something), the carpet in my room was torn, and the faucet handle in the shower came off in my hand. I know it's supposed to look rustic, but that is no cause to allow the rooms to appear dingy.

Each trip, I stay four days at VWL and then switch my last day to Saratoga Springs in the Grand Stand area because I enjoy the long walk over to Downtown Disney. Although I was never a fan of the outside entrance-style hotel/motel, the room always feels fresh and clean, compared to where I stayed the previous three nights.

MarshallMoore6
11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
To each his/her own. Disney is just different. The rooms should be clean and in working order. The 'style' must match the resort. Other timeshares are not restricted by this but you wouldn't be on-property. That is why we bought DVC. We have Marriott for other vacations.

Starr W.
11-17-2011, 01:37 PM
SSR, built just a few years ago, has printed bedspreads for a reason, just like every other themed resort has something that meets it's theme. If you don't like the theme, try another.

GF is supposed to look like your grams house....some people like that. Disney is a fantasy world, so you're not going to get a vanilla carbon copy of all the modern hotels. And, BLT does look more modern because, not only is it newer, but it's designed to look.....contemporary. (it's part of the contemporary resort). But they were trying to split the difference between modern day contemporary, and be true to it's home resort that has more of a "70's" contemporary. (when it was built).

SSR is more than a few years old, because I've been an owner for longer than that.

How many DVC'ers find the bedspreads gross(as in are they changed after someone leaves)?

Numerous members take them off and throw them in the closet for their stay.

Hampton Inns runs a commercial with a woman pulling down a bedspread to get into bed and she's wearing a hazmat suit. Then they show pristine white duvet that they mention gets cleaned everytime someone checks out.

As for the GF, I was with a group that was 99% men that were not thrilled with the theme and to be honest the rooms were not as well kept as some of the major hotel chains that business people usually stay in.

Then some of the wives that come to the annual meeting :scared1:. A few would live at the front desk demanding to see someone in authority to complain about you name it.

tjkraz
11-17-2011, 03:27 PM
The whole duvet/bedspread issue is sort of comical to me. Yes, I'll agree that duvets are nicer to look at and more...sanitary if cared-for. But bedspreads were the norm in the hospitality industry for decades. Somehow we all managed to survive without some bedspread-borne mutant super germ wiping out humanity. :lmao:

Saratoga Springs is 7 1/2 years old. When it first opened, most of the room furnishings were a clear step above other DVCs--particularly BCV which was universally panned for having sub-standard furniture and fixtures. SSR was the first resort to have the Disney custom sofabeds. It was the first with flat cooktop ranges and solid surface counter tops. The furniture and bath fixtures were a noticeable improvement over most others.

But trends are constantly changing. In 2004 flat panel TV prices were still out of reach. SSR opened with CRT televisions and was one of the last to get flat panel replacements.

Improvements in sofabeds, appliances, counter tops, fixtures, clock radios, patio furniture and others have spread to the resorts at different rates.

If Disney is to charge $400-500 per night for a hotel room, guests will expect a certain quality of accommodation. So they need to do a better job of following industry trends and upgrading where necessary, or they risk losing business.

On the timeshare side, Disney needs to take a more measured approach to help manage annual dues. It would be great if the DVC villas always represented the latest-and-greatest in hotel accommodations, but not if dues start increasing 10% per year to support more frequent upgrades to appliances, furniture and bedding.

dianeschlicht
11-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Once again Tjkraz is the voice of reason!:thumbsup2

Deb & Bill
11-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Once again Tjkraz is the voice of reason!:thumbsup2

Agreed. Well said, Tim.

DisDaydreamer
11-17-2011, 04:49 PM
We just stayed at BWV (our home) with best friends and a relative. We haven't been there in a number of years and were concerned about how it was going to present... Let me tell you, we were very relieved and impressed with how clean and fresh everything looked. Very happy with the condition.

SLJ6974
11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I just think that Disney could do more for the DVC resorts with Disney's money. At one time I was really interested in maybe purchasing a small resale contract someday. But no longer am I. With the clear photos of many of the DVC resorts showing just how dated they look and with all the hoopla going on right now with resale, vs. direct I will just pass. I do know that you do get a good discount on the room. But to me when you compare a resort room to a standard studio yes you get a discounted rate, but you also get a discounted room. With the exceptions maybe at AKVs and BLT. And right now and for the past few years there have been discounts on almost all of Disneys resorts rooms. But I am sure at some point I will rent out some DVC points.

disneynutz
11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
The decor in the DVC rooms are designed to look the way that they look. I'm not talking maintenance issues or broken bath tile, but the colors, furniture, decorations. Even if Disney gutted the room and put all new in, it would still be the same design, colors, and bath tile.

If Guests don't like the motif, then pick another resort. We don't really care for BLT but be love BWV, BCV, and VWL.

Hopefully
11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Isn't outdated part of the theme of the resort, just like the theme of Main Street at the MK. Takes us back to a slower, simpler time.
We enjoy the looks of BWV, BCV, and VWL, that's why we bought there.

If you want a modern look, that's BLT.

I totally agree. I love the theme of my BCV Villa!!! I don't want the sterile look of the Beach Club. That's why we bought there, not for Storm Along Bay.
As others have said DVC is a timeshare. The members bear the burden of the cost of upgrades. I am very satisfied with the all the Villas I have stayed in.
When I want a "modern" resort feel, I book a resort room. When I want the comfort of my Home Away from Home, I book my BCV.
Ownership (or even renting) is not for everyone.
If it is not for you, don't complain to those of us who understand and love it.

Hopefully
11-17-2011, 06:47 PM
The whole duvet/bedspread issue is sort of comical to me. Yes, I'll agree that duvets are nicer to look at and more...sanitary if cared-for. But bedspreads were the norm in the hospitality industry for decades. Somehow we all managed to survive without some bedspread-borne mutant super germ wiping out humanity. :lmao:

Saratoga Springs is 7 1/2 years old. When it first opened, most of the room furnishings were a clear step above other DVCs--particularly BCV which was universally panned for having sub-standard furniture and fixtures. SSR was the first resort to have the Disney custom sofabeds. It was the first with flat cooktop ranges and solid surface counter tops. The furniture and bath fixtures were a noticeable improvement over most others.

But trends are constantly changing. In 2004 flat panel TV prices were still out of reach. SSR opened with CRT televisions and was one of the last to get flat panel replacements.

Improvements in sofabeds, appliances, counter tops, fixtures, clock radios, patio furniture and others have spread to the resorts at different rates.

If Disney is to charge $400-500 per night for a hotel room, guests will expect a certain quality of accommodation. So they need to do a better job of following industry trends and upgrading where necessary, or they risk losing business.

On the timeshare side, Disney needs to take a more measured approach to help manage annual dues. It would be great if the DVC villas always represented the latest-and-greatest in hotel accommodations, but not if dues start increasing 10% per year to support more frequent upgrades to appliances, furniture and bedding.

Thanks for articulating my thoughts Tim! I agree

Deb & Bill
11-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I just think that Disney could do more for the DVC resorts with Disney's money. ....

Not going to happen. DVC is a timeshare and all upgrades, renovations come out of member dues. Even DVC only owns a very small percentage of the villas.

tjkraz
11-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I just think that Disney could do more for the DVC resorts with Disney's money. At one time I was really interested in maybe purchasing a small resale contract someday. But no longer am I. With the clear photos of many of the DVC resorts showing just how dated they look and with all the hoopla going on right now with resale, vs. direct I will just pass. I do know that you do get a good discount on the room. But to me when you compare a resort room to a standard studio yes you get a discounted rate, but you also get a discounted room. With the exceptions maybe at AKVs and BLT. And right now and for the past few years there have been discounts on almost all of Disneys resorts rooms. But I am sure at some point I will rent out some DVC points.

Certainly your prerogative. I could put together figures demonstrating how DVC saves me 70-75% off of cash rates for similar accommodations (Studio vs. hotel room) over the long haul. Probably far more with a resale purchase.

When even the best cash discounts are 25-35% off rack, the disparity is simply too high to ignore.

When you look carefully at side-by-side photos of the hotel and villa rooms, the differences typically come down to minor things like headboards and wall sconces / lighting. Those things are not worth spending hundreds more per trip. Villa guests still have access to all of the same resort services (pools, bell services, room service, etc.)

BEACH CLUB HOTEL
http://allears.net/acc/bc1109queen_beds.jpg

BEACH CLUB VILLA
http://allears.net/acc/bcv/bcv2010stud5.jpg

BOARDWALK INN
http://allears.net/acc/bw/bwi2010b.jpg

BOARDWALK VILLA
http://allears.net/acc/bwvillas/bwvstudio1009d.jpg

The hotel rooms are undeniably nicer in these two examples.

Are the villas dated? Not by my definition. Dated suggests that the furnishings are not up to current standards. For instance, if the DVC villas had old coil stoves, CRT TVs or the old bar-in-your-back sofabeds you could call them dated.

Here it's simply a case of Disney putting extra dollars into the decor of the hotel rooms. In my opinion, the differences are not enough to convince me to spend twice as much money year-after-year for the same amount of space at the same physical building. I just don't value headboards and wall lighting very highly.

Sammie
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
http://allears.net/acc/blt/blt09b41.jpg

To me its the bedding that makes the rooms look dated. Hopefully since BLT, and Aulani went with duvets instead of bedspreads they will begin to change them out. However they did not do it for OKW so who knows.

Deb & Bill
11-17-2011, 09:08 PM
To me its the bedding that makes the rooms look dated. Hopefully since BLT, and Aulani went with duvets instead of bedspreads they will begin to change them out. However they did not do it for OKW so who knows.

I hope they don't go with duvets. Otherwise, I'm going to have to haul a king sized blanket along with me on our trips. I just can't sleep with a duvet; they are just too heavy. And with no duvet, there is only the sheet, which is too light.

KAT4DISNEY
11-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I hope they don't go with duvets. Otherwise, I'm going to have to haul a king sized blanket along with me on our trips. I just can't sleep with a duvet; they are just too heavy. And with no duvet, there is only the sheet, which is too light.

You could request a blanket or use the spare blanket for the sleeper. I don't think you would need to carry one along.

KAT4DISNEY
11-17-2011, 09:28 PM
For instance, if the DVC villas had old coil stoves, CRT TVs or the old bar-in-your-back sofabeds you could call them dated.

By your own definition several are dated then. VWL definitely has coil stoves and I think our SSR and BCV rooms have had them too.

http://allears.net/acc/blt/blt09b41.jpg

I agree - especially the floral bedspread prints. :eek:

tjkraz
11-17-2011, 09:38 PM
By your own definition several are dated then. VWL definitely has coil stoves and I think our SSR and BCV rooms have had them too.

SSR doesn't. They had ceramic cooktops from the start.

VWL and BCV may still have them, though. Depends upon how recently the range has been replaced as they haven't done a resort-wide replacement. Many BWV rooms still had them until they were all replaced during the 2009-10 refurb.

BCV and VWL are my two least favorite resorts so those are admittedly off my personal radar. But this is a good illustration of how room condition varies from resort-to-resort. SSR has always had the flat top ranges but I believe both VWL and BCV got flat panel TVs before SSR.

All of that said, my cost to stay at BCV starts at $90 per night for dues and a share of the original contract purchase price. During the absolute cheapest season (rack $335 per night) a 35% discount get me a BC parking lot view hotel room for $240 with tax.

The improvements in BC hotel rooms over the villas are not nearly substantial enough for me to pay almost 3x what I pay as a DVC member.

Sammie
11-18-2011, 05:49 PM

At the resorts that have duvets they also have blankets, see no reason DVC could not do the same.

Deb & Bill
11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
At the resorts that have duvets they also have blankets, see no reason DVC could not do the same.

Good, because that's one reason I don't like to stay at Hampton Inns. Big heavy duvet with no blanket.

dr&momto2boys
11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Even when the rooms are refurbed they look out dated because that is the theme of the resort, they are true to a earlier time period.

Yes. And I've always been VERY pleased with the accomodations! Definately never walked in and though, "yuck!" :sad2: Overall they are very well kept.

appleorchard
11-23-2011, 07:51 PM
As an owner, I have no interest in spending my dollars to rehab the villas to meet the needs of people who want to rent points to save money. Just my two cents! I like it just fine and it's my second home. If renters don't like it--don't rent. Problem solved for all!

Deb & Bill
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
As an owner, I have no interest in spending my dollars to rehab the villas to meet the needs of people who want to rent points to save money. Just my two cents! I like it just fine and it's my second home. If renters don't like it--don't rent. Problem solved for all!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

DebbieB
11-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Totally agree :thumbsup2. Unless you are a dues paying member, I don't think you have a right to make suggestions that will cost members more.

I also don't think items should be replaced before their scheduled replacement time just because they are "outdated". The coil stoves are not the latest thing, but do they work? Just because they are not as "pretty" as the latest model doesn't mean they should be replaced early.

beachclub
11-23-2011, 09:45 PM
so then what exactly do our dues get allocated to?
Pool rehabs? Painting? Landscaping?
If any of these, why do they need to be rehabbed and kept up and not the interior rooms. You could argue that all of these are exterior cosmetics that everyone sees but everyone sees the inside of the rooms too so that argument is out the window....
They do spend alot of money and time doing painting, landscaping,etc
then why cant the do anything to keep the rooms looking like they are from this century and not from 1970...I dont think the idea of the beach club villas was for it to look like the 1970s new england,,,,and if that is the case, being a new englander beach going person, they missed the mark on theming with the villas side, the regular resort side is much better and I would like to see my dues go towards modernization of the villa rooms, this can still be accompolished while keeping the theme alive

DebbieB
11-23-2011, 10:12 PM
If any of these, why do they need to be rehabbed and kept up and not the interior rooms. You could argue that all of these are exterior cosmetics that everyone sees but everyone sees the inside of the rooms too so that argument is out the window....
then why cant the do anything to keep the rooms looking like they are from this century and not from 1970...I dont think the idea of the beach club villas was for it to look like the 1970s new england,,,,and if that is the case, being a new englander beach going person, they missed the mark on theming with the villas side, the regular resort side is much better and I would like to see my dues go towards modernization of the villa rooms, this can still be accompolished while keeping the theme alive

Most of the reserve fund goes to interior refurbishment. I have the 2011 BWV statement and dues for 2011 were:

Roof Replacement/Repair: $460,041 - .0941 per point
Interior Refurbishment: $3,661,259 - .7489
Exterior Building Painting: $420,441 - .0860
Common Element Renovation $166,221 - .0340
Pavement Resurfacing $28,844 - .0059

tjkraz
11-24-2011, 12:03 AM
then why cant the do anything to keep the rooms looking like they are from this century and not from 1970...I dont think the idea of the beach club villas was for it to look like the 1970s new england,,,

Beach Club Villas just opened in 2002. If you thought the look was 30 years outdated when it opened its doors, why did you buy in the first place?

Sammie
11-24-2011, 12:15 AM

Seriously :confused3

Surely you maintain your own home, painting, mowing the grass, etc more often than buying a new stove or tv replacing one that works just because something new came out.

There is a difference in maintenance and cosmetics.

supernova
11-24-2011, 06:47 AM
While at the Doorway to Dreams store on Tuesday, I asked one of the workers about the updates at resorts that could use them. He said that part of the updates were to replace the carpet with flooring. Should help to give the rooms a nicer look.

beachclub
11-24-2011, 07:27 AM
I dont own here

Beach Club Villas just opened in 2002. If you thought the look was 30 years outdated when it opened its doors, why did you buy in the first place?

beachclub
11-24-2011, 07:30 AM
now tha'd be nice..Those OKW rooms look 1000 times better with the hardwood flooring....even if its laminate......
Still looks awesome but guess what, it was updated and still reflects its theme....THey could do this to the beach club and still keep the theme alive

While at the Doorway to Dreams store on Tuesday, I asked one of the workers about the updates at resorts that could use them. He said that part of the updates were to replace the carpet with flooring. Should help to give the rooms a nicer look.

Deb & Bill
11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
now tha'd be nice..Those OKW rooms look 1000 times better with the hardwood flooring....even if its laminate......
Still looks awesome but guess what, it was updated and still reflects its theme....THey could do this to the beach club and still keep the theme alive

OKW was opened in 1993. BCV was opened in 2002. BCV will get their renovation in nine more years.

kpatches
11-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I believe it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things (decor, colors, clothing, styles, etc.) I myself am not a fan of the modern look at BLT. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't stay there. What area I want to be in for any given stay determines where I want to be. I also would much prefer to stay in the Vacation Club facitlities over the regular hotel rooms. I like to have a choice of rooms (studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom villas) plus the conveniences that these rooms have (washer and dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, jacuzzi tubs, living rooms and dining areas that are separate from the bedrooms. So bottom line the decor does not come first!!!

MoonPet
11-25-2011, 02:20 AM
OKW was opened in 1993. BCV was opened in 2002. BCV will get their renovation in nine more years.

Actually, OKW opened in December, 1991 as "Disney Vacation Club Resort." We had our first stay there in the spring of 1992. I miss those peach colored towels!

Deb & Bill
11-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Actually, OKW opened in December, 1991 as "Disney Vacation Club Resort." We had our first stay there in the spring of 1992. I miss those peach colored towels!

That's right. So BCV has to wait 11 years for total renovation.

KAT4DISNEY
11-25-2011, 04:07 PM
That's right. So BCV has to wait 11 years for total renovation.

I think it's longer than that since even OKW didn't get a total rennovation yet.

DVC SSR Owner
11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Would VB and HHI be next for complete renovations? We went to VB last summer and the inn room was in great shape except the bathroom had not been updated at all except for paint. I noticed a lot of cracked shower tiles that needed replaced. Why didn't they update the bathrooms?

disneynutz
11-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Would VB and HHI be next for complete renovations? We went to VB last summer and the inn room was in great shape except the bathroom had not been updated at all except for paint. I noticed a lot of cracked shower tiles that needed replaced. Why didn't they update the bathrooms?

Cost.

Deb & Bill
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I think it's longer than that since even OKW didn't get a total rennovation yet.
Okay, BCV has to wait 11 years for an 85% renovation. ;)

In the OKW renovation, they did nothing in the bathrooms except maybe paint the mirror frame.

DVC SSR Owner
11-29-2011, 04:34 AM
I guess cost is the reason they are not updating any of the bathrooms beyond a coat of paint. But, I think that after 10 years, some repairs should be made at least on the broken tiles. Grout should at least be cleaned and replaced as needed. Otherwise, it looks really shabby!

disneynutz
11-29-2011, 04:58 AM
I guess cost is the reason they are not updating any of the bathrooms beyond a coat of paint. But, I think that after 10 years, some repairs should be made at least on the broken tiles. Grout should at least be cleaned and replaced as needed. Otherwise, it looks really shabby!

Members are upset that some properties for 2012 took a 8% dues increase. What do you think they would say if that number was 15%?

DVC SSR Owner
11-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Bill,

I get it. Nobody wants to pay too much. But, when I bought into DVC, I bought it thinking it would be maintained as a deluxe accommodation. Maybe I misunderstood? My family only takes one week a year so far. We want to enjoy our trip. It is not an economy trip for us and I don't want to stay in a place that I feel is gross. At VB, I wore shoes in the bathroom because it was so nasty. It didn't ruin my trip at all. But, my husband was less than impressed. We expect more from Disney. I wonder when Disney budgets for things if they get more than one quote and get competitive rates for work? I hope so. I know others may disagree with me, but I would rather pay a little more and enjoy my vacation!

BEASLYBOO
11-29-2011, 09:26 AM
. At VB, I wore shoes in the bathroom because it was so nasty.

Sure, no one wants astronomical maint. fees but when you go through a so called "full" refurb. then I don't think it's too much to ask that the bathrooms, if not totally re-done, will at least be thouroughly cleaned. OKW has the hugest grout lines that I've ever seen and after the refurb, they did not appear any cleaner. There are products and applications that can be used that would have dramatically improved the appearance and cleanliness who those bathrooms. Adding a dark mirror does not a bathroom refurb. make! Nothing was changed or touched, not the cabinetry (the pickled finish does show signs of age and was not repaired, refinished etc.) , not the countertops, it's all original including the tile (some chipped) and that grout!

I never thought that they would "gut" the OKW bathrooms but I had reasonable expectations that the flooring/dirty grout would be stripped, cleaned and resealed!

Deb & Bill
11-29-2011, 09:37 AM
...I never thought that they would "gut" the OKW bathrooms but I had reasonable expectations that the flooring/dirty grout would be stripped, cleaned and resealed!

After they did the alligator finish on the coffee table, they didn't have money left to do the bathroom cleaning. :lmao:

DVC SSR Owner
11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I am glad someone agrees with me that the bathrooms need to be refurbed!

dianeschlicht
11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
After they did the alligator finish on the coffee table, they didn't have money left to do the bathroom cleaning. :lmao:

LOL! That allegator table, the repainting of the really interesting part of the bathroom to something less interesting, and those !@#$%^&*( blinds are my biggest complaints about the OKW refurb.

BEASLYBOO
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
After they did the alligator finish on the coffee table, they didn't have money left to do the bathroom cleaning. :lmao:and we should be thankful they didn't "crackle" anything else!!!

and those !@#$%^&*( blinds are my biggest complaints about the OKW refurb.I share your frustration! Who ever designed these, though esthetically eye catching, cleary never repeatedly operated the mechanism!

Now let's see how long they last!

Sammie
11-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree that the bathrooms need to be well maintained, even if just regrout the same tiles.

I am not convinced you have to raise dues to do this, I don't think our dues have been managed well in the past.

Sorry but if a DVC President can not manage the situation at Aulani are we sure the rest was managed well. :sad2: I know BLT was not managed well as far as product selection.

Hopefully all OKW members are letting Member Satisfaction know that the bathroom situation is a huge disappointment. Some of the things they did replace really did not need it, and yet the bathrooms did. Very poor choices made in my opinion.

SLJ6974
11-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Certainly your prerogative. I could put together figures demonstrating how DVC saves me 70-75% off of cash rates for similar accommodations (Studio vs. hotel room) over the long haul. Probably far more with a resale purchase.

When even the best cash discounts are 25-35% off rack, the disparity is simply too high to ignore.

When you look carefully at side-by-side photos of the hotel and villa rooms, the differences typically come down to minor things like headboards and wall sconces / lighting. Those things are not worth spending hundreds more per trip. Villa guests still have access to all of the same resort services (pools, bell services, room service, etc.)

BEACH CLUB HOTEL
http://allears.net/acc/bc1109queen_beds.jpg

BEACH CLUB VILLA
http://allears.net/acc/bcv/bcv2010stud5.jpg

BOARDWALK INN
http://allears.net/acc/bw/bwi2010b.jpg

BOARDWALK VILLA
http://allears.net/acc/bwvillas/bwvstudio1009d.jpg

The hotel rooms are undeniably nicer in these two examples.

Are the villas dated? Not by my definition. Dated suggests that the furnishings are not up to current standards. For instance, if the DVC villas had old coil stoves, CRT TVs or the old bar-in-your-back sofabeds you could call them dated.

Here it's simply a case of Disney putting extra dollars into the decor of the hotel rooms. In my opinion, the differences are not enough to convince me to spend twice as much money year-after-year for the same amount of space at the same physical building. I just don't value headboards and wall lighting very highly.

The Beach Club Villa does look dated, but SAB would make up for that, but the BWV is much worse. :sad2: I can't imagine booking one of these rooms through CRO and paying a outlandish rate and getting this.

Note, just went and priced this "deluxe" studio out for a weeknight in January for next year, $388.00, rack rate.:scared1: I think the rooms at CSR look better than this studio at BWV.

palhockeymomof2
11-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Looking at the pictures of BWV and BCV rooms vs hotel rooms....I think the decorating is a matter of personal taste.....looking at the pictures I like the villa studio decorating better than the hotel rooms...they seem to stuffy/formal to me.......

Deb & Bill
11-30-2011, 08:14 AM
The Beach Club Villa does look dated, but SAB would make up for that, but the BWV is much worse. :sad2: I can't imagine booking one of these rooms through CRO and paying a outlandish rate and getting this.

Note, just went and priced this "deluxe" studio out for a weeknight in January for next year, $388.00, rack rate.:scared1: I think the rooms at CSR look better than this studio at BWV.

My goodness, yes. The BWV and BCV look like those commercials for Febreeze where they bring the unsuspecting volunteers into the trashed out rooms/kitchens. When they take off the blindfold the volunteers are appalled with what they see because that just wasn't what they smelled and envisioned. Total trashdumps.

Not. ;)

SLJ6974
11-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Do feel bad for a previous poster who did buy in thinking she would be getting deluxe rooms for the long haul and now to find out that will not be the case at all.

tjkraz
11-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Do feel bad for a previous poster who did buy in thinking she would be getting deluxe rooms for the long haul and now to find out that will not be the case at all.

If you ask 20 DVC owners if they feel BCV is deluxe quality, I betcha 18-19 of them say "yes." Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Given the fact that the villas share the same resort amenities and the differences in room decor are modest (and all non-functional items--it's not like one has a TV and the other does not), I seriously doubt many are regretting their DVC purchase just because the headboards are nicer in hotel rooms.

(BTW, the villa rooms all have balconies while the hotel rooms do not. Chalk one up for BCV in that respect. ;) )

Deb & Bill
11-30-2011, 09:20 AM

Are you an owner?

DVC SSR Owner
11-30-2011, 09:00 PM
People. Wake up and smell the Mickey bars. Just because you can see hidden mickeys in the broken shower tiles or in the carpet snags, that doesn't make the poor maintenance issues nostalgic. Lol

tjkraz
11-30-2011, 09:02 PM
People. Wake up and smell the Mickey bars. Just because you can see hidden mickeys in the broken shower tiles or in the carpet snags, that doesn't make the poor maintenance issues nostalgic. Lol

Similarly, just because you had a bad experience in one room at Vero doesn't make it indicative of all DVC bathrooms.

DVC SSR Owner
11-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Similarly, just because you had a bad experience in one room at Vero doesn't make it indicative of all DVC bathrooms.

You are correct and I have never been to okw, but have read similar stories about the same bathroom maintenance issues there. Our bathroom at BCV was in great shape. Maybe just the oldest resorts have these problems? I can't comment since I have only stayed at VB and BCV. I will be at HHI in may, but have read that HHI is in great shape.

OurDogCisco
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm sure it has been discussed but what is DVC reburishment schedule?

I own at Marriott and Westin as well. I find at all resorts there are grout problems and I think one the reasons I notice it is because I clean my grout twice a year. I wish I never put in light colored tile because of the grout issue. There is no way to keep it clean looking without cleaning often. I doubt timeshares even think about cleaning them. It is very labor intensive to clean grout whether you use a chemical cleaner or grout steam machine. I've done it all. However, once it is clean it makes the place look new again. Anyways, I don't feel the maids do anything but a surface clean. I can always find things that they don't even touch like baseboards, under the bed, above the refrigerator, under furniture in general, pillows --- I wonder how often they replace them, lamps for dust, behind the washer area, etc... There are many things a maid probably doesn't even have time to look at to do. I often wonder if these things are even on the list or if they are on the list on a rotational basis.

I do think the DVCs are the slowest to replace things and are a little behind the curve ball. Now, will that stop me from visiting not really. I still love my DVC. For example, the old box style TVs when I stayed at Marriott Ford Colony in Williamsburg were being replaced on my visit during July 2004. Even though the other tvs were in fine working order they replace them with newer modern looking tvs. I thought it made the tv area look 10 times better. But I like that "new updated" look. I can see others that would rather wait until it breaksdown before replacing. I still feel Disney is a little slow in refurishment.

WolfpackFan
12-02-2011, 07:18 AM
You are correct and I have never been to okw, but have read similar stories about the same bathroom maintenance issues there.

We were at OKW about a month ago and had no bathroom maintenance issues at all. In fact our unit was in perfect shape.

Deb & Bill
12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
...To tie this discussion back to the "outdated" issue, I love OKW, actually preferred the theming prior to the refurb. but if you want to call anything outdated, then OKW's bathrooms are outdated, compaired to all of the other resorts!

Nah, they are just undermaintained.

BEASLYBOO
12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
We were at OKW about a month ago and had no bathroom maintenance issues at all. In fact our unit was in perfect shape. I sure would be careful about spreading rumors if I don't have any first hand knowledge.

Actually right after his post I posted having the same issues at OKW, so I coroborated his story. OKW is my absolute favorite resort but I was disapointed that after waiting for the refurb. for so long that the bathrooms remained untouched other than the restaining of a mirror.

The bathroom floors should have been stripped, the grout chemically treated and resealed, giving it a much cleaner appearance. This is not an issue for any of the other resorts that came after OKW and HHI because they have regular tiles, not Mexican tile with 1 inch grout lines. I loved the refurb. at OKW, I just think they missed the mark on the bathrooms.

What's the average time between full refurbs., 9-10 years, maybe they'll get to the bathrooms then!

To tie this discussion back to the "outdated" issue, I love OKW, actually preferred the theming prior to the refurb. but if you want to call anything outdated, then OKW's bathrooms are outdated, compaired to all of the other resorts!

BEASLYBOO
12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Nah, they are just undermaintained.
Clever Deb, you managed to quote me before I actually posted!!!!!! :rotfl:

Deb & Bill
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Clever Deb, you managed to quote me before I actually posted!!!!!! :rotfl:

Yeah, I saw that. Weird, huh???

tjkraz
12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm sure it has been discussed but what is DVC reburishment schedule?

Realistically there are different types of refurbs and no set schedule--at least not one that has been posted publicly. I suspect there is ultimately some collaboration between resort General Managers and DVC to determine how much money in reserve funds is available and which projects are truly needed.

Furniture and other in-room items are replaced when some point of appropriateness / cost efficiency has been reached. In the last 2-3 years most--if not all--resorts have had sofa beds updated, new patio furniture, iHome clock radios new mattresses and flat panel TVs, among other things.

"Soft goods" (drapes, linens) are replaced resort-wide every few years.

And individual rooms will certainly get maintenance on a rotating schedule and as needed. That includes painting, carpeting, plumbing, electrical, replacement of broken furniture and appliances, etc.

As for a "rip nearly everything out and replace" refurb, that doesn't happen often. Resorts like OKW, Vero and BoardWalk apparently had this sort of refurb in the last 3 years. But given the ages of those resorts, there isn't necessarily any rhyme or reason to it. BWV's refurb came before OKW, yet BWV opened 5 years later. Saratoga Springs--of which the oldest rooms have only been in existence for 7.5 years--is supposedly going to get some sort of refurb in 2012.

All-in-all, it's tough to use one room as a barometer for an entire resort. One poster mentioned cracked bathroom tiles at Vero. While I'm not questioning the validity of that report, I also don't think every room at Vero has cracked tiles in the bathroom.

At the same time, I do think DVC resorts could be more pro-active in their in-room maintenance. Seems like they could put better processes in place for proactively discovering issues rather than reacting to guest complaints about burned-out light bulbs and sticky balcony doors.

Sammie
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Actually at one time there was a better system for maintenance issues. There was a staff member that would check the rooms before they were cleaned.

But during the Lewis era, that position was eliminated. Now the housekeepers are suppose to let maintenance know about issues. However that staff has been cut back too. So it hardly ever gets done. Remember Jim Lewis asking all of us to be the ones to report issues.

There are two lines of thought as to why this happened, one is cutting the budget which I am sure is part of it, and the other was that members complain so much about wanting the rooms before 4pm which I believe too.

If you are going to really inspect rooms for damages and problems housekeeping and maintenance need to have mandatory no check in before 4pm. Which is pretty standard in other timeshares.

I can just imagine based on the threads I see on this forum complaining about not getting a room at 1pm what the hue and cry would be if all rooms were held to 4pm.

dianeschlicht
12-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Actually right after his post I posted having the same issues at OKW, so I coroborated his story. OKW is my absolute favorite resort but I was disapointed that after waiting for the refurb. for so long that the bathrooms remained untouched other than the restaining of a mirror.

The bathroom floors should have been stripped, the grout chemically treated and resealed, giving it a much cleaner appearance. This is not an issue for any of the other resorts that came after OKW and HHI because they have regular tiles, not Mexican tile with 1 inch grout lines. I loved the refurb. at OKW, I just think they missed the mark on the bathrooms.

What's the average time between full refurbs., 9-10 years, maybe they'll get to the bathrooms then!

To tie this discussion back to the "outdated" issue, I love OKW, actually preferred the theming prior to the refurb. but if you want to call anything outdated, then OKW's bathrooms are outdated, compaired to all of the other resorts!
Yes, I agree. In fact, after the renovation, the first unit we stayed in had such bad tile in the bathroom, that some of the white tiles that transition around the bottom where the wall meets the floor had been PAINTED! Yes, they were chipped, so to make them "look better" they painted the chipped parts white. NOT a good fix in my book.

I too think the refurb at OKW was a step backward instead of forward. Window dressing at best and NOT a good match for the theme.

DVC SSR Owner
12-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know when the last refurb was done at HHI and what was done? Do they have new mattresses, flat panel tv's and flat non coil cooktops? Just curious. We are going in may and so excited! How are the bathrooms there in terms of condition? I have not seen any complaints. Thanks!