PDA

View Full Version : duplicate ADRs? Will they cancel 1 or both?

aripantaloon
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
If you make duplicate ADR's for different numbers in your party for the same place at the same time on purpose, will the system or a person at Disney cancel one or both of your ADR's just because you did it or is it up to you to decide which one you want and cancel the other when you are ready?

I'm asking because we are 100% sure that our family of 5 is going, but we have invited some extended family as well. We may need 1 or possibly 2 more seats at our table, but those 2 people (FIL and a SIL) haven't decided yet. I made our ADR's yesterday and we've told them about the whole dining issue. If only 1 of them comes, I don't want them to be high and dry and eating alone if they can't be accomodated on our ADR's. We are eating at some popular places, so I don't want to risk losing my ADR's if I go in and do duplicates with 1 or 2 more people in the party in case they are coming. They would probably decide in the next month or so, therefore it's not like I'm waiting until a few weeks out to cancel the ADR's that aren't needed.

I don't need anyone to lecture me about stealing someone else's ADR by double booking and the morality of it. I just want to know if anything will be done by Disney to my ADR's if I do so. I'm mainly concerned about having an old man (FIL) eating alone while the rest of his family is enjoying a nice meal together. I promise I won't keep the dups for longer than necessary. :flower3:

DisneyCowgirl
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
If you make duplicate ADR's for different numbers in your party for the same place at the same time on purpose, will the system or a person at Disney cancel one or both of your ADR's just because you did it or is it up to you to decide which one you want and cancel the other when you are ready?

I'm asking because we are 100% sure that our family of 5 is going, but we have invited some extended family as well. We may need 1 or possibly 2 more seats at our table, but those 2 people (FIL and a SIL) haven't decided yet. I made our ADR's yesterday and we've told them about the whole dining issue. If only 1 of them comes, I don't want them to be high and dry and eating alone if they can't be accomodated on our ADR's. We are eating at some popular places, so I don't want to risk losing my ADR's if I go in and do duplicates with 1 or 2 more people in the party in case they are coming. They would probably decide in the next month or so, therefore it's not like I'm waiting until a few weeks out to cancel the ADR's that aren't needed.

I don't need anyone to lecture me about stealing someone else's ADR by double booking and the morality of it. I just want to know if anything will be done by Disney to my ADR's if I do so. I'm mainly concerned about having an old man (FIL) eating alone while the rest of his family is enjoying a nice meal together. I promise I won't keep the dups for longer than necessary. :flower3:

My experience has been that if I am logged in with an email address that already has an ADR at that mealtime, the system will not allow me to make another one.

dimndgal1
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
... and was told it is probably better to call and speak to a CM directly as they can override the confusion and create two rezzies.

It seems anytime you are trying to do something tricky, it's always easier to just call and have someone help you than argue with the automated system. :)

aripantaloon
11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the responses! Maybe tomorrow, I'll call and speak to a CM about it. We don't want to pester FIL or SIL too much about it, but it's kind of annoying that they just don't get the immediacy of the need for their decisions. I know that one avenue to take is to say that it's their own fault if they end up eating without us since we specifically told them that we already made our ADR's and if they are coming to decide soon. However, I would feel really, really bad if that happened; especially to FIL. Not that I don't like SIL, but a 64 year-old PopPop alone is sadder to me than a 34 year-old woman who should know better.

collegejunkie
11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
you can make them under different names and e-mail addresses and then nothing will happen to them.

no capes darling
11-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Why not make/keep the reservations for the larger party and if someone decides not to show up you let the greeter know when you arrive? I can't imagine they'd turn you away if you made a reservation for 5 and only 4 showed up.

mickeyluv'r
11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I've had luck making the reservations for the maximum nuber of people who might be going, then later calling to MODIFY my dining reservations. You have to sue that specific word or the phone tree gets confused.

Also, some CM's are better informed than others. If you get one that says it can't be done, hang up and call back.

when they modify, you might not get 100% the same time, but at morst it will be about 15min later.

There are very few where I haven't been able to modify lower. Modifying higher (adding a person) is harder, but sometimes that can be done as well.

You gotta admit, it IS kind of crazy to have to plan your dining six months in advance! In real life, I sometimes eat on the spur of the moment!

That said, especially with the new policy in place, unless you are going a very busy week, only the uber-popular places are likely to fill up. Many times I've been able to get tables for our group on short notice

aripantaloon
11-11-2011, 02:32 PM
I made a second set for 6 people in case my FIL comes along. I use a different email addy for them. Had a slight glitch when one that I knew I made was missing from the confirmation emails. I figured I mistyped the email addy, so I had to figure out HOW I mistyped it and try to make another for the same time so it would flag it as a duplicate and ask if I wanted to keep the old one or do the new one. :surfweb: Yeah, that wasn't fun. Figured it out and cancelled both with the wrong addy. Then made another with the correct addy.

Question about modifying ADR's (as opposed to cancelling and rebooking): what if there aren't any available in the system for the number in your party? For example, I was curious as to what might be available for DD's birthday in February during President's week (not that we're going; I was curious as to availability now for that busy week). Saw that at CRT, there were ADR's for a normal time for lunch and dinner for 3, 4, and 6 people, but nothing at all for lunch or dinner for 5 people. Now, I get how there could be 3 and 4, but not 5. However, how can they have one for 6 people at multiple times, but not be able to accomodate 5??? Let's say I called to modify my ADR for 6 people to one for 5. In that case, would they say that they didn't have anything available or would they just take the 1 person off and we'd keep our ADR time?

I've taken a lot of time and effort to both pick places that everyone in our family wants to eat and plan our whole park schedule and ADR schedule around how long we want to spend in each park, extra magic hours, and ease of travel to get to ADR's. I really, really don't want to have to lose or change any because I didn't modify (or use the correct term with a CM) them properly. We like early dinners because of our youngest, so anything later than 6 or 6:30 would not fly. Same for anything earlier since we'd still be full from lunch.

Man, this would all be soooo much easier if these 2 would decide if they are going or not. I don't think FIL will come the whole time, either. Probably just May 9-12 since the baby's birthday is on the 10th.