PDA

View Full Version : BWV Boardwalk view!

Sue's Mum
11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
If you want this view may I suggest that you state that you do not want a second floor room. We were allocated a second floor room on our very recent visit (studio) and we had a view of ................. a wall approximately 3ft 6ins high. It was directly above the outdoor tables for Big River Grille. All second floor rooms have a "wall", which, quite effectively, cuts down the amount of noise coming up from the boardwalk but obliterated almost all the view of the lake etc. It did have a slightly deeper balcony than many rooms but what is the point when all one can see is a wall! We immediately asked to be moved but had to wait three days until a similar room on the 4th floor became available as there were conventions going on at the time.

I expressed my dissatisfaction in no uncertain terms and said there was no point in my using additional points to book a boardwalk view when I could have requested a standard view. I was charged $30 for the move and it was worth every penny.

So, beware of these rooms.

quinnc19
11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Your post might help cure my case of BWV addonitis. I recently returned from a spectacular 5th floor BW view. But if I was very lucky to have gotten that, and there are many rooms with views like that one you described, maybe I don't need BW as a home resort?? Hmmm. Thanks for posting.

JWG
11-03-2011, 04:00 PM
We've had a 2BR in that same space (above Big River Grille, 2nd floor). It didn't bother us. We sit on our balcony to enjoy the view, and from the balcony we could see the boardwalk.

Additionally, we like the view to see SSE and Epcot, which we could do. I know view is a very personal thing, and 2nd floor is a bit restricted directly down to the boardwalk, but we didn't think it was too bad.

Though, we're a typical SV family.

TheIncredibles!
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
We had one of those second floor rooms once and love the balcony. Yes there's a wall instead of a railing so you have to stand to enjoy the view but the privacy is great.

Best balcony was my 5th floor 2 bedroom one. It was big like the 2nd floor ones but had the railing. We loved it!
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/MQuara/floridadisney2009057.jpg

DebbieB
11-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I had the 1 bedroom there one time and we just walked out to see the view. It was nice it was more protected from the weather than open balconies. One thing I didn't like about that room was it the noise from the boardwalk. It was June and people were out late. I always request top floor, usually end up with 3 or 4, that was the only time I got 2.

Sue's Mum
11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
We've had a 2BR in that same space (above Big River Grille, 2nd floor). It didn't bother us. We sit on our balcony to enjoy the view, and from the balcony we could see the boardwalk.

Additionally, we like the view to see SSE and Epcot, which we could do. I know view is a very personal thing, and 2nd floor is a bit restricted directly down to the boardwalk, but we didn't think it was too bad.

Though, we're a typical SV family.

We could look over the wall only if we were standing up. I am talking about the wall which runs parallel with the door out on to the balcony, not the side walls. Also, all we could see from the room was a red wall - no water, or anything beyond the wall.

cvjw
11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
We had the same balcony on a 5th floor 1 bedroom. We had to stand up to see the boardwalk, but it didn't bother us - we loved that villa!

crisi
11-03-2011, 06:07 PM
We've had the enclosed balconies as well. They aren't my favorite, but when I think that I could be paying the same number of points for the room at VWL with no balcony, or a tiny balcony and a view of the road at BCV, they don't seem bad at all.

jekjones1558
11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm with you, Sue's Mum. I cross my fingers every time we check in at BWV hoping we don't get a balcony with the wall. DH uses a scooter and standing to look over the balcony wall is something he can only do for a couple of minutes at a time. We spend more time in our room than a lot of folks because DH can't handle the parks that well anymore, so the balcony view is very important to us. That said, when we are lucky enough to make it to WDW I am HAPPY no matter what.

Ciciwoowoo
11-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Just back from BWV and also had an enclosed balcony (pool view)

I actually liked it just because we felt more secure about our little one when he was out on the balcony.

We did have a regular balcony for each of the bedrooms. The enclosed balcony was in the livingroom.

jade1
11-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Our first DVC visit was a BWV BW View room above the screen door 2nd floor. It was a 2BR and the balcony was huge and did have that wall. We really like that room and still point it out as we walk by. Watching the nightlife on the BW was great-as was SE off in the distance, but we did lean up against the wall, and not sit there, no biggie really.

Pennyguy23
11-05-2011, 10:28 AM
We had the same room a couple years ago. We don't own there so for us to get a Boardwalk view was great. We would take almost anything since the points are the same as preferred and no way we were getting a standard view. We LOVED it. It didn't bother us a bit. We also had a similar room above the store one year, same balcony

Pennyguy23
11-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Just to add, we also like the hustle and bustle of boardwalk. It was cool to feel like you were in the "action" even in the room.

Caren90
11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Here is a bit of a thread hijack. When can you request a floor? We just booked a two bedroom BW view for next October and it sounds like we should request something higher up. Can I have that request noted on the reservation?
Stephen

crisi
11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Request a high floor when you make the reservation (or call now if you've already made it). But don't have high expectations - its a request. We've owned at BW for a decade and in all those years they've met a request ONCE. High floors at the BW is a particularly popular request and can't be met for everyone.

But it isn't all bad. High floors far down from the elevators have the best views - but they are the least convenient rooms - particularly if you don't want to be taking a lot of stairs because you have strollers or aren't in great shape to be climbing multiple flights of stairs every time you go to your room. Low floor close to the elevator might be better if you have strollers, bad knees, kids visiting the pool three times a day and don't want long walks down the hallways.

Caren90
11-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Request a high floor when you make the reservation (or call now if you've already made it). But don't have high expectations - its a request. We've owned at BW for a decade and in all those years they've met a request ONCE. High floors at the BW is a particularly popular request and can't be met for everyone.

But it isn't all bad. High floors far down from the elevators have the best views - but they are the least convenient rooms - particularly if you don't want to be taking a lot of stairs because you have strollers or aren't in great shape to be climbing multiple flights of stairs every time you go to your room. Low floor close to the elevator might be better if you have strollers, bad knees, kids visiting the pool three times a day and don't want long walks down the hallways.

Thanks Crisi, I just called back and requested a high floor. No worries about the other issues since we will be without children and I am going to need all the hallways and stairs I can walk as well as my daily Boardwalk run to keep the F&W calories at bay (The buttonless pants will also be a big help).
Stephen

gojoe
11-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree with the comment "additional living room" We had a one bedroom across from the carny games. It is much larger than other balconies. Our girls spent most of the time we spent in our villa out there. It was nice having an extra room. We will have 3 additional grand children this next trip so I'm requesting second floor room for our next trip. I do prefer a balcony with better view. You can just see it in this picture past all the party animals. It was my birthday and this was the sugar crash after the cake.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4282903558_daf7c60e71_b.jpg

mainstreet1997
11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
We had probably that same room and hated it! Due to the balcony being so deep the room was so dark! On top of that we had new view due to the signs that hang above the Screen Door entrance. Mom went the lobby and expressed her extreme displeasure (especially since we are DVC members - we own at Boardwalk) and kept hearing that there was nothing they could do. Finally she talked to a manager who did find us a room in the courtyard right near the Boardwalk which was great! At Christmas its like having your own personal CHristmas tree and we were pulling "free" wi-fi from Wyland Gallery!

As far as we know we didnt get charged anything for the room change though.

Sue's Mum
11-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Our fave view is overlooking the "village green", the grassy area opposite Flying Fish, with the boat docks on the left and the lobby area on the right. It is especially colourful at Christmas. Lovely.

jekjones1558
11-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Our fave view is overlooking the "village green", the grassy area opposite Flying Fish, with the boat docks on the left and the lobby area on the right. It is especially colourful at Christmas. Lovely.

Just to clarify, village green view rooms are preferred view and they are all studios. So, if that is what you want, be sure to book a studio in the preferred view category and request "village green" but it will not be guaranteed. There are about 35 or 40 of those studios, however, so you actually have a decent chance of having the request fulfilled. Those rooms are also close to the elevators.

Sandisw
11-06-2011, 08:44 AM
We had a room in about that same place this last summer and we were okay with it. We had a little one with us and to be honest, we liked that she had to have someone out there with her to "see".

Of course, we were not interested in sitting but rather standing, enjoying a beverage or two and watching the goings on, so for us, it worked out okay. We had 9 people in our group so having the extra big balcony worked out in our favor.

But, everyone has different wants and needs and I am glad they were able to move you at least part way through your trip.

VrBchJ
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I just got back from BWV. I had room 5013 (5015 has the same configuration) and it has the high wall. The balcony was very narrow and with walls on three sides it was like being in a stockade. I usually spend a lot of time on the balcony but not on this trip. You can't see anything but walls, walls and more walls. I think I'll go back to standard view. I've never had a view as bad as this so called boardwalk view room in a std view.

Sue's Mum
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
We have had a standard view studio a couple of times. They overlooked the entrance/driveway. The first time the view was great - people-watching was a pleasure. I cannot remember which floor we had but I have a feeling it was the first floor. The second time I can definitely recall having a first floor because we had a view of bushes. So no sitting on the patio with our breakfast that time.

I was looking at these rooms on our way up to the lobby from the car park. There seems to be a lot of trees which have planted in close proximity to the building, particularly that part of the building which is about one third of the total length away from the check-in area right to the end of the building going left as I was looking at it. These trees are the full height of the building. Who in their right mind designed that - a rhetorical question and not one to which I am expecting an answer!

Sue's Mum
11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
If we were able to attend the annual meeting that I think should be coming up in December, I would be raising the issue of trees and bushes. The same thing happened to our DD. They had booked SSR for two weeks for a visit last month. A first floor room in the Springs had been requested as they had stayed in one before and had a wonderful view of grass, a lake and a fountain. As they have a young child who went to bed before they did, they liked to sit out on the patio in the evenings enjoying a bit of a tipple and some grown-up conversation. They were granted their wish and had a view of ..... a big bush/tree which was growing right up to the patio boundary.

Again it makes me wonder whether DVC planners were wearing their thinking heads when the landscaping was planned.

LSchrow
11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
we had a studio over BRG in may (room 2031), and again, the same room last month.
we LOVED it.!! we have stayed in all the studios ending in ..29 and ..31. the views from the high floors are great, but it is a been there, done that sort of thing (we've about 1000 pix from those balconies - we don't need any more:)).
the 2nd floor was fabulous though :banana: the balcony is HUGE - about 50% larger than the higher floors (the table and 2 chairs barely put a dent in the space, whereas on the upper floors, we were had to constantly move them if there were just 2 of us out there:headache:), LOVED the short hop-and-skip up and down one flight (down isn't bad on any stairs, but going up 5 flights is very tiring and inconvenient), the privacy was wonderful especially for someone like myself, who enjoys morning coffee or a nightcap in their jammies on the balcony.
the view was wonderful, but different. instead of great views of illuminations, we had great views of the boardwalk itself with all the fun activities there. many a night, we would check to see if BRG was crowded before we went to eat, if a ferry had just left to reduce our waits, watch the games and cheer on winners, catch a street performer, etc.
i used to only request upper floor, but i think we have come to enjoy the 2nd floor more than any other :cloud9: (for a first-timer, i would probably still recommend the 4th or 5th floors, but for thoe who go fairly often, i think the 2nd has a lot to offer. alas, the 3rd has just too little of a view with the small balcony - not enough of the best attributes of each of the other floors - to be a favorite).
:)

crisi
11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
we had a studio over BRG in may (room 2031), and again, the same room last month.
we LOVED it.!! we have stayed in all the studios ending in ..29 and ..31. the views from the high floors are great, but it is a been there, done that sort of thing (we've about 1000 pix from those balconies - we don't need any more:)).
the 2nd floor was fabulous though :banana: the balcony is HUGE - about 50% larger than the higher floors (the table and 2 chairs barely put a dent in the space, whereas on the upper floors, we were had to constantly move them if there were just 2 of us out there:headache:), LOVED the short hop-and-skip up and down one flight (down isn't bad on any stairs, but going up 5 flights is very tiring and inconvenient), the privacy was wonderful especially for someone like myself, who enjoys morning coffee or a nightcap in their jammies on the balcony.
the view was wonderful, but different. instead of great views of illuminations, we had great views of the boardwalk itself with all the fun activities there. many a night, we would check to see if BRG was crowded before we went to eat, if a ferry had just left to reduce our waits, watch the games and cheer on winners, catch a street performer, etc.
i used to only request upper floor, but i think we have come to enjoy the 2nd floor more than any other :cloud9: (for a first-timer, i would probably still recommend the 4th or 5th floors, but for thoe who go fairly often, i think the 2nd has a lot to offer. alas, the 3rd has just too little of a view with the small balcony - not enough of the best attributes of each of the other floors - to be a favorite).
:)

We've had those rooms as a two bedroom lockoff. They are nice. Balconies are huge. And I'm more of a fan myself of "convenience" over "view." One or two flights of stairs is fine, I'm not fond of four ... and I love the stairs as a shortcut over BWVs elevators.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
11-07-2011, 11:29 PM
There is a room that is similar like this on the Boardwalk Inn side. Room #4223 which is a Standard Club Level Room that happens to come with a Boardwalk view, however the left side of the view is blocked because of the Boardwalk Bakery roof. Although it didn't bother me because I could still see directly across Cresent Lake and I could look towards the right side by the ESPN Club and the walkway to Epcot. Anyway here is a picture of exactly where that room is located so you can see what I am talking about, along with another picture of what the view looked like.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/Eagle20/IMG_1484.jpg

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/Eagle20/IMG_1503.jpg

Inkmahm
11-08-2011, 12:21 AM
We had one of those second floor rooms once and love the balcony. Yes there's a wall instead of a railing so you have to stand to enjoy the view but the privacy is great.

Best balcony was my 5th floor 2 bedroom one. It was big like the 2nd floor ones but had the railing. We loved it!
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/MQuara/floridadisney2009057.jpg

We had this same balcony on the 3rd floor right above the restaurant. Loved it! We had a one bedroom and the balcony was big enough that we could have had a party out there.