PDA

View Full Version : 10-yr old wants to order from Kids Menus...

ajsrph
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Obviously, if we do the DDP, he would be counted as an adult...but he will want to order from the Kids Menus, simply because that's the food he likes. If we DON'T do the DDP, can he order from the Kids Menus, since we're paying out-of-pocket? I mean, they can't make him order food he doesn't like, right? I just can't see paying $52/day for him when he'd only cost us ~$20/day.

Here's the breakdown. 2 Adults, 1 10-yr old (who would count as an adult on the DDP) and an 8-yr old. I've looked at menus/prices and come up with a per day average of $110 for 1 counter-service and 1 table-service for all 4 of us. We've done the DDP in the past, and NEVER use the snacks--we're always scrambling at the end of our trips to use them up before we leave. We're staying club level at the Yacht Club, so will have breakfast and food available in the lounge all day long.

Advice? Thoughts?

momtotwins
10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
well you could pay OOP for the 10 years old meals and save the adult credits for another mela if there are more TS meals you would like to do or perhaps 2 TS options

ajsrph
10-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I considered that, but that would be A LOT of food for us.

My main question should be, can he order off the Kids Menus even though he's 10 yrs old?

I'm thinking if we did the DDP, 1) he'd have to order off the adult menu and not like the food (huge waste of money) or 2) if he *could* order off the Kids Menu, if would be a huge waste of adult credits.

momtotwins
10-18-2011, 02:47 PM
from what i understand you can do it at most non buffet restaurants

skitt
10-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I'd consider eating at signature restaurants with those extra adult credits. Does he have a small appetite or is he just picky? Because some kids meals are pretty small, and he may be able to find adult meals he likes at some restaurants.

TDC Nala
10-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Most of the time, yes, but sometimes you may be told no. Seems to depend on the restaurant (there are multiple reports that the Plaza does not allow this) or even the server you ask.

Dizneydaz
10-20-2011, 08:53 PM
You usually can. We were never told no. Some of the TS locations offer a junior size meal of their kid's meals. My DD wanted Mickey Ravioli at Kona and got about 4 with a kid's meal (she was 10) We went a few days later (after we heard about the junior meals) and she ordered the junior verion and got about 12. No difference in price since your DS is already considered an adult (for dining)

See the difference for yourself.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w158/ter623/WDW%202009/food/102_3091.jpg
Kid's meal

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w158/ter623/WDW%202009/food/102_3494.jpg
Junior meal

There have also been times when we paid OOP for a kid's meal for her and used the TS later for more meals or a 2 TS.

fostrmom2mny
10-22-2011, 05:59 PM
In 2010 my VERY picky daughter of age 22 was allowed to order off of the kids meals.