PDA

View Full Version : Dis Exclusive BSM Adventure 7/29 - 8/3/2012 - Sold Out AND GETTING VERY CLOSE!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 01:14 PM
The Dis is headed back to Hollywood and Disneyland July 29th - August 3rd 2012.

The pricing for this Exclusive Dis Back Stage Mage Adventure is as follows:

$2399 per person based on double occupancy

$2279 per child

$3359 per single traveler.

The full itinerary can be found here:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=HollywoodDLRLandingPage

This trip is currently full.

If you are interested in joining us and would like to be put on a wait list, please email me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

Fellow Adventurers

Sandy - Miss SD
Claire - Sandy's daughter
Alicia - mzalicia
Corwin - Alicia's son
Todd - todd67
Beth - bethoftoddnbeth
Kevin
Stacy - Jeff & Stacy in NYC
Jeff
Mark - mnra
Susan - suezq55
Lisa - NitroStitch
Paul - DataTully
Jeff - OKWLover
Val - OKWLover2
Muggsie - itsmuggsie
Michelle - TinkerChelle
Christy - MinnieGarden
Mike - K5jmh
Ian - Mike and Christy's son
Holly - HollyMac71
Kim - chirurgeon
Carol - merifan
Lynn - Simba001
Larry - Lynn's Hubby.
William - BillM99999
Joanne
Christopher - CRW
Andy - AndyPok1
Kevin - willie28
Debbie - Kevin's wife
Kevin - DisneyKevin
John - WebmasterJohn
Pete - WebmasterPete
Walter - AKAScar

If you would like to add your name to this list, please write to Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

UPDATE 07/06/2012

Exclusive Lunch with Dave Smith - Disney Legend and Historian - 08/02/2012 - Noon - 1:30PM

A Backstage Magic tradition is the Exclusive Lunch with a Disney Legend that Dreams Unlimited Travel arranges on all of our trips.

For this Adventure we will be joined by Disney Legend, Historian and Former Head Archivist Dave Smith.

The lunch takes place on 08/02/2012 (our last full day) at Wine Country Trattoria in Disney's California Adventure Theme Park from Noon - 1:30PM.

We will be in that park already and our 'official' BSM activities end around 11AM.

Dreams Unlimited Travel will have copies of Dave's newest book Disney Trivia from the Vault: Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered for everyone on our Adventure and Dave has agreed to sign each one after our lunch.

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Awesome!!! We are really looking forward to this Adventure!! Ian (DS 8) has no idea what he is in for!

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Awesome!!! We are really looking forward to this Adventure!! Ian (DS 8) has no idea what he is in for!

I went back and corrected my list.

I had left Ian off the list.

My bad.:rolleyes1

OKW Lover
10-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Yee Haa! :cool1:

chirurgeon
10-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Old friends and friends to be. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Kim

OKW Lover
10-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Marching along we're adventurers
Singing a song of adventurers
Up or down north south east or west
An adventurer's life is best!

We are Jeff and Val (I'm shy in person, she's shy on line) and are looking forward to this adventure. We've already met some of you since we've been to a couple of DAP's and both PCC 1.0 and 2.0. Unfortunately, I often have a hard time remembering names/faces so don't be offended if I get your's wrong when we meet.

Perhaps a picture of us will help break the ice.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/15020_1364436358373_1455541005_962250_5844400_n.jp g

HollyMac71
10-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm SUPER excited! My husband just rolls his eyes and mentions other projects that we have going on. I just keep going. This is going to be MY adventure!:cool1: I have never done something like this alone by myself but know this is the right group to be with.

I will have to make a pit stop at Trader Joe's - which is right around the corner from the Hollywood hotel.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
10-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm SUPER excited! My husband just rolls his eyes and mentions other projects that we have going on. I just keep going. This is going to be MY adventure!:cool1: I have never done something like this alone by myself but know this is the right group to be with.

I will have to make a pit stop at Trader Joe's - which is right around the corner from the Hollywood hotel.

No one is ever alone on ABD, especially when it's a DIS adventure! :goodvibes

We are really looking forward to this trip!!:banana::banana::banana:

MinnieGarden
10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
:hyper: We're going to Disneyland! :banana: Ian is going to flip when he realizes what all we are going to do!

And a trip to Trader Joe's is definately a necessity. We have to get Jeff some liquid encouragement! :lmao:

HollyMac71
10-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I've already started my shopping list.....:cheer2:

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I've already started my shopping list.....:cheer2:

Young Lady.....there will be no ABD shopping until all Christmas presents are bought and wrapped.;)

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok, I have heard that the power is different in California. I am researching the right adapters and powerstrips that we need to bring along.

Christy just ordered a Book on Los Angelese so that we can learn the language.

I am waiting for Mary Jo and Na Jo to come thru the computer and slap me.

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 07:59 PM
:hyper: We're going to Disneyland! :banana: Ian is going to flip when he realizes what all we are going to do!

And a trip to Trader Joe's is definately a necessity. We have to get Jeff some liquid encouragement! :lmao:

Christy, we are getting a Trader Joe's in Houston before we leave for the cruise. :confused3

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Don't forget to monitor the exchange rate and order some cash.

You don't want to arrive without some of the local currency in your pocket.

:laughing:

chirurgeon
10-15-2011, 08:19 PM
We have Trader Joe's here. Of course there is no wine at ours. Thank you to our lovely state operated alcohol sales system. Put I do love there food.

Kim

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Here we are:

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/078d59c6.jpghttp://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/a376e1d9.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/6612_1114036127240_1117025522_30300235_2470871_n.j pg

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Kevin, do we know what it "DIS Exclusive" for this BSM tour (like lunch with Marty Sklar from the past trips) or are ya'll still banging those out?

HollyMac71
10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Trader Joe's is less than a mile - 10 blocks from the hotel. Straight up Hollywood Blvd. Wonder what interesting sights I could see on a walk....maybe cab.

bethoftoddnbeth
10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
:cheer2:Yay!!

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
:cheer2:Yay!!

:welcome: Beth and Todd!!!

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
trader joe's is less than a mile - 10 blocks from the hotel. Straight up hollywood blvd. Wonder what interesting sights i could see on a walk....maybe cab.

cab

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Kevin, do we know what it "DIS Exclusive" for this BSM tour (like lunch with Marty Sklar from the past trips) or are ya'll still banging those out?

Now, if I went and told you this kinda stuff....then you'd know.

And we can't have that.

NitroStitch
10-16-2011, 07:43 AM
No one is ever alone on ABD, especially when it's a DIS adventure! :goodvibes

We are really looking forward to this trip!!:banana::banana::banana:

So glad y'all are going on this trip too! Maybe we'll get to ENJOY this one to the fullest, like the first one! :yay:

astrodrummergirl
10-16-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm highly considering this. I a) could actually afford it for once, b) will have graduated by then and c) could satisfy my want to go to Disneyland...

Or do I use this same money for a different trip...

OKW Lover
10-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm highly considering this. I a) could actually afford it, b) will have graduated by then and c) could satisfy my want to go to Disneyland...

You'll find nothing here to discourage you - we're a bunch of enablers. :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
If you are thinking about joining us for this Adventure, you will need to act soon.

Another Adventurer joins the list tomorrow.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
10-16-2011, 11:13 AM
So glad y'all are going on this trip too! Maybe we'll get to ENJOY this one to the fullest, like the first one! :yay:

We are so excited to see your names on the list!! Our fingers and toes were crossed that you'd sign up! Now everyone has to stay healthy!!!! :goodvibes

This is going to be an incredible trip!! I feel a banana dance coming on!!:banana::banana::banana:

mzalicia
10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Hello all from Oregon!

This will be my first ADB trip - it will be just me and my son Corwin (9).

Long time podcast listener and disboards lurker :)

Alicia

HollyMac71
10-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Hello all from Oregon!

Alicia

:thumbsup2

MinnieGarden
10-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Hello all from Oregon!

Alicia

:welcome: I'm so glad there will be another kid on the trip! Ian will be 9 about a week before the trip.

k5jmh
10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Hello all from Oregon!

Alicia

:welcome: Alicia and Corwin!!! :cool1:

Miss SD
10-16-2011, 05:06 PM
My DD12 Claire and I (Sandy) are excited to be going on our first DIS Unplugged trip. We've taken a few ABDs, including the Backstage Magic tour, but wanted to experience some of the podcast team and fans up close and personal! We're looking forward to getting to know everyone in the coming months.

k5jmh
10-16-2011, 07:42 PM
My DD12 Claire and I (Sandy) are excited to be going on our first DIS Unplugged trip. We've taken a few ABDs, including the Backstage Magic tour, but wanted to experience some of the podcast team and fans up close and personal! We're looking forward to getting to know everyone in the coming months.

:welcome: Claire and Sandy!!! :cool1:

This will be our 7th DIS Unplugged travel excursion and they are all unique and fun!!

DisneyKevin
10-16-2011, 08:49 PM
but wanted to experience some of the podcast team and fans up close and personal!

Isn't this the spiel they use for Kilimanjaro Safari? :laughing:

Miss SD
10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Um, don't laugh, but I've never been to the safari, or WDW for that matter. (Just DLR and Tokyo Disney.) I was thinking more about the profiles ABC (I think) used to run during the Olympic Games. Think celebrities, not animals, Kevin!:)

DisneyKevin
10-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey Folks,

If you have submitted your reservation request and received an email from me letting you know that I have your reservation, you have a spot on this Adventure.

For anyone else interested...there are 5 spaces left.

Once the last 5 spots fill, I will be taking a waiting list in the event that someone can not travel.

OKW Lover
10-17-2011, 05:51 AM

Which PodCaster will be playing the part of Little Red? :rolleyes1

DisneyKevin
10-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Six Adventurers will join our group today....

There are THREE spots left.

chirurgeon
10-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Six Adventurers will join our group today....

There are THREE spots left.

So does that mean there are four other podcasters joining our merry band?

Kim

DisneyKevin
10-17-2011, 09:38 AM
So does that mean there are four other podcasters joining our merry band?

Kim

Pete, Walter, John and I will be on this Adventure.

The six new Adventurers are folks that have booked this trip.

I just haven't added them to the list yet.

My guess is that this trip will be sold out by the end of today.

k5jmh
10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
It has been a crazy morning here in the Energy Capital. I took a moment to glance at the boards and find that the adventure is almost sold out!! WooHoo!!!

:cool1:

NitroStitch
10-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long! Can't wait to tour with everyone!! :cool1:

HollyMac71
10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
:cheer2:

TinkerChelle
10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting you all on our adventure. I'm Chelle and will be traveling soloish....my roomie will be Muggsie. I will be leaving my wife and 2 kids behind for this adventure which feels exciting and a little scary all at the same time.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/pjgrrl/disneymay201087.jpg

Nice to meet you all!

TinkerChelle
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM

:lmao:

Also, my personal fave: (in reference to KS) It's reminiscent of the Serengeti, I suppose.

This was in the WDW vacation planning DVD for years. It was so funny!

OKW Lover
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting you all on our adventure. I'm Chelle and will be traveling soloish....my roomie will be Muggsie. I will be leaving my wife and 2 kids behind for this adventure which feels exciting and a little scary all at the same time.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi Chelle! I've seen your posts here on the DIS and it will be nice to put a face to the name. Val & I have met Muggsie before and I think you've got a great roommate there.

k5jmh
10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
My count says 29 + 4 podcasters. :woohoo:

DisneyKevin
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
My count says 29 + 4 podcasters. :woohoo:

This is absolutely correct!

We have room for a single traveler or a double.

After that.....we are SOLD OUT!

OKW Lover
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow. Is that a record for a quick sellout?

TinkerChelle
10-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi Chelle! I've seen your posts here on the DIS and it will be nice to put a face to the name. Val & I have met Muggsie before and I think you've got a great roommate there.

Looking forward to meeting you. Yes, I am lucky to have found such a great roomie! :goodvibes

DisneyKevin
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Wow. Is that a record for a quick sellout?

The very first Back Stage Magic Adventure sold out very quickly as well.

DisneyKevin
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
This Adventure is officially SOLD OUT.

There are 31 Adventurers and 4 Podcasters.

If you see your name on the list in the first post and I don't have your screen name listed, drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

k5jmh
10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Welcome Fellow Adventurers!!!!

chirurgeon
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
This trip is getting me so excited.

So how many of us will be at DISapalooza? It will be nice to meet my traveling companions early.

Kim

k5jmh
10-17-2011, 08:19 PM
We will be at DAP!

willie28
10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Whew, made it! My wife and I got the last two spots!! So looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone. (Plus, it looks like three Kevins will be going! :woohoo:)

- Kevin #3

k5jmh
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Whew, made it! My wife and I got the last two spots!! So looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone. (Plus, it looks like three Kevins will be going! :woohoo:)

- Kevin #3

:welcome: Kevin & DW!!

merifan
10-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone!
I am coming out of lurkdom to introduce myself. First let me say that I am so excited to be part of this adventure. I am a HUGE Disney fan, podcast listener and Disboard lurker. I’m from the Seattle area and go to Disneyland about twice a year but I have ventured a few times to the World as well. In fact I will be going again this summer after Podcast Cruise 3.0. My DD 31, DSIL 33, DGS 9, DGS 2, and soon to be born DGS age 6 months are joining me for that. I decided to go a little out of my comfort zone and do BSM by myself. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Carol

itsmuggsie
10-17-2011, 10:35 PM
I'll be solo, rooming with Chelle! I'm so excited! I can't wait! :cool1:

Thanks Jeff! I was so happy to see you and Val will be on this trip.

Looking forward to meeting you. Yes, I am lucky to have found such a great roomie! :goodvibes

Thanks roomie! I'm lucky also.

So how many of us will be at DISapalooza? It will be nice to meet my traveling companions early.

Kim

I'll be there with my DP Cindy.

Simba001
10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Yipeee!!!!!
:dance3:
I am so excited!!!!
Nothing like a little pressure to make a decision.....
I emailed Kevin last night and then turned off the computer....
Woke up this morning to read that there were only 5 spots left!!!:scared1:
Well what do you do when you have 15 minutes before you have to leave for work and your DH is still asleep?!??! You book a ABD trip!
Of course while at work I couldn't wait.... Had to check email on my phone (not something I do regularly ..) and found out -
We made it !

When I told DH he congratulated me on my quick action.

I haven't even put everything away from D23 Expo and yet I so want to pull out the suitcases and get ready for this trip!

Do we really have to wait until July?!?!??!

This will be our first ABD ( and I am guessing/hoping not our last )

Looking forward to getting to meet everyone.

HollyMac71
10-18-2011, 04:28 AM
I'll be solo, rooming with Chelle! I'm so excited! I can't wait! :cool1:

YEA! It looks like we're neighbors! I'm in Tampa!

NitroStitch
10-18-2011, 06:37 AM
We'll be at DAP too!

Congrats to the last folks to join! It's definitely an amazing trip and you'll most likely do more ABD trips once you've done one! :yay:

OKW Lover
10-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Kim

Well, we've already met Kim, but Val & I will be looking forward to seeing you again at DAP!

DisneyKevin
10-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Three Kevins?:scared1::scared1:

The other two are going to have to pick alternate names.

Like Aramis and Porthos

Or Larry and Curly. :laughing:

NitroStitch
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Like Aramis and Porthos

That could really be fun! :rotfl:

willie28
10-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Like Aramis and Porthos

Personally, I like the Three MOUSEketeer names. It's a bit more distinguished!
(Although my hairline is going more the way of Curly. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!)

mzalicia
10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Corwin and I are attending DISapalooza too! I am looking forward to meeting new friends early!

Kim

HollyMac71
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Is it easier to have ABD book the airfare or is it easier to book on your own?
:surfweb:

TinkerChelle
10-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Hi Holly! I was wondering the same thing. Also, if you add a day before or after the adventure, I believe you have to handle your own transfers to and from the airport, correct?

I am ABD novice...I am bound to have a ton of questions. I am anal like that! :rotfl:

skunkvette
10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Holly! I was wondering the same thing. Also, if you add a day before or after the adventure, I believe you have to handle your own transfers to and from the airport, correct?

I am ABD novice...I am bound to have a ton of questions. I am anal like that! :rotfl:

I have been on two DIS/BSM in '10 and '11

If you book you add on days through ABD then your transfers are included, if you do it on your own then you are responsible for your transfers.

I am sure Kevin will confirm this.

I would highly recommend adding a day at Disneyland at the end of your adventure.

We did not do so the first trip and that was one of the reasons that we went the second time.

You all are going to have a blast!!!

DisneyKevin
10-18-2011, 09:08 PM

ABD will provide transfers from the airport and back to the airport, as long as you are under your ABD reservation.

ABD offers pre and post nights. Both include transfers as long as the nights are booked through ABD.

If you book pre nights on your own, transfers are not included. The same is true with post nights. If you book additional nights on your own, transfers are not included.

DisneyKevin
10-18-2011, 09:11 PM

There is something to be said for doing both.

If you are looking to use frequent flyer miles or vouchers, you will need to book on your own. ABD does not accept either.

If you have found a great flight and want to book that through ABD, just let me know and I can book that flight for you. Airfare must be paid in full at the time of booking.

Also, keep in mind that ABD uses the major carriers, but does not book airlines like Southwest or Jet Blue.

If you have specific questions, please email me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com.

OKW Lover
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
We got a welcome package from ABD in today's mail!!!! Woo Hoo!!!! :dance3:

OKW Lover
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Filled out the Adventure Acknowledgement and ready to mail out tomorrow. :thumbsup2

chirurgeon
10-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Asked Mom if I got any interesting mail today. I'm sure the Welcome Package would have caught her attention. Nada :sad1: Maybe tomorrow.

BUT I WANT IT NOW, NOW NOW. (Imagine this in the voice of a petulant 2 year old.) I'm not a patient person. The next 6 weeks until I leave for WDW will be torture.

Kim

HollyMac71
10-21-2011, 05:22 PM
I've been reviewing my package. Oh such a lovely package it is.

I know small things make me happy!

chirurgeon
10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
No Happy Package in the mail today. :sad1:

Kim

mzalicia
10-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a question as a first time ABD'er...

Are the forms in the welcome package standard forms, or specific to the Backstage Magic Hollywood & Disneyland ABD? I was a little surprised by the amount of liability they asked me and my son to sign away, but not disagreeable for this adventure.

Does anyone know why ABD asks for weight over 220lbs? I will fill in all the fields they request, but knowing the why behind the weight question would be nice. Anyone know or should I contact ABD Concierge and ask?

-Alicia

TinkerChelle
10-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Are the forms in the welcome package standard forms, or specific to the Backstage Magic Hollywood & Disneyland ABD? I was a little surprised by the amount of liability they asked me and my son to sign away, but not disagreeable for this adventure.

Does anyone know why ABD asks for weight over 220lbs? I will fill in all the fields they request, but knowing the why behind the weight question would be nice. Anyone know or should I contact ABD Concierge and ask?

-Alicia

I was curious about that myself. Let's be honest, I don't just tell ANYONE my weight, okay? I was also surprised by the amount of paperwork....I do paperwork all day at the office....and came home to more paperwork but honestly this paperwork was a nice change of pace! :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
No Happy Package in the mail today. :sad1:

Kim

You signed up later than some other folks. I'd give it a couple of days.

-Alicia

These are standardized forms and some Adventures have zip lining and such. There is a maximum weight for things like that.

I PROMISE THAT THERE IS NO ZIP LINING INVOLVED IN THIS ADVENTURE!

I was curious about that myself. Let's be honest, I don't just tell ANYONE my weight, okay? I was also surprised by the amount of paperwork....I do paperwork all day at the office....and came home to more paperwork but honestly this paperwork was a nice change of pace! :thumbsup2

I lied and told them I was 165lbs, tan and incredibly handsome.

You can do that...or leave it empty.

Again....there is NO ZIP LINING on the Backstage Magic Adventure.

k5jmh
10-22-2011, 07:15 PM
You signed up later than some other folks. I'd give it a couple of days.

These are standardized forms and some Adventures have zip lining and such. There is a maximum weight for things like that.

I lied and told them I was 165lbs, tan and incredibly handsome.

You can do that...or leave it empty.

Again....there is NO ZIP LINING on the Backstage Magic Adventure.

Is there an Apple Store in the Basement of Disneyland? :rotfl:

HollyMac71
10-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Is there an Apple Store in the Basement of Disneyland? :rotfl::worship:

Or will we see Ellen, George Clooney, or be on The Price is Right?

TinkerChelle
10-22-2011, 09:02 PM

:lmao: No doubt Walter will be bummed about this!

:worship:

Or will we see Ellen, George Clooney, or be on The Price is Right?

:thumbsup2 Or will we see Dick Van Dyke! Personally, I would be on :cloud9: if we ran into him OR Julie Andrews :lovestruc

Simba001
10-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Is there an Apple Store in the Basement of Disneyland? :rotfl:

If there was I could leave DH there while I went shopping throughout the rest of the Park..... or Downtown Disney :lmao:

Received our packet today! Yeah! We really are going... guess I better sign and return the agreement ASAP. The threat of cancellation is daunting

DisneyKevin
10-22-2011, 10:05 PM
The threat of cancellation is daunting

Please sign and return your travel agreement in a timely manner.

But please....do not worry about the threat of cancellation.

Have you ever witnessed a Podcaster go carnival ape crazy?

It's not pretty.:scared1:

k5jmh
10-23-2011, 02:19 PM

"NO TIP!!!!". :rolleyes1

HollyMac71
10-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Mine is signed, sealed, and is in the hands of the US postal service.

I think everytime my DH says "We could have done this but you had to do THAT" he shoud give me 10 dollars. My spending money will be taken care of. popcorn::

TinkerChelle
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Mine is signed, sealed, and is in the hands of the US postal service.

I think everytime my DH says "We could have done this but you had to do THAT" he shoud give me 10 dollars. My spending money will be taken care of. popcorn::

:rolleyes1 My wife asked me this evening how much overtime I expected to work next year to make up for the expense of my solo vacation. I asked her how much she was going to start paying me for cooking, cleaning, diaper changing, bottle feeding, grass cutting, grocery shopping, laundry and chasing our gorgeous kids around the house all evening AFTER I get home from my out of the house job?

I don't think she'll be inquiring about how much money we are spending on my solo vacation again. :rotfl:

In all seriousness, don't feel bad for her...we are very blessed and are traveling to WDW 2 times before my extravagant :rolleyes1 solo vacation. :lmao:

Simba001
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Carnival ape crazy!!!! Hmmm that may be worth witnessing....at least it may make a nice Youtube piece or maybe make 'America's Funniest Home Videos '(hmmm... there might be money to be made here) Maybe it is time for...

"Podcaster goes Carnival Ape Crazy" He screams! He cries! He jumps up and down! .....Coming soon to a theater near you!

OK. OK. The signed agreement went out in today's mail.

(Could we see a short segment next July .... just for fun:rotfl:)

crw
10-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Ok, I have heard that the power is different in California. I am researching the right adapters and powerstrips that we need to bring along.

Christy just ordered a Book on Los Angelese so that we can learn the language.

That reminds me -- does anyone know the exact rules for Passports??? Are you POSITIVE that I can't get by with a coffee stained 30 year old bad copy of my birth certificate???:rotfl2:

Hi all. I'm Chris and I am a lurker and a religious podcast listener. Looking forward to meeting everyone in July. May even try and get Pete, John, Kevin, and Walter back for all of the times I've busted out laughing in public or dropped a weight on my foot listening to the podcast!

HollyMac71
10-25-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm wondering if the coffee at Disneyland is as bad as at disneyworld. Then contemplating a "camel pack" so I can stay caffeinated at all times and maybe won't have a lot of pictures with me and coffee stained shirts.

Simba001
10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm wondering if the coffee at Disneyland is as bad as at disneyworld. Then contemplating a "camel pack" so I can stay caffeinated at all times and maybe won't have a lot of pictures with me and coffee stained shirts.

Yes. Yes, the coffee at Disneyland in general is AWFUL! IMHO its the main area that Disney needs to improve. When we attended D23 Expo in August we stayed at the Hilton (before moving over to PP after Expo wrapped up to just go to the Parks) and they had a Starbucks in the lobby! :banana: Needless to say on the mornings of Expo the line could be 25+ people long :scared1:

There is a coffee stand in hub in front of the Castle before you head into Frontierland that has espresso, lattes and mochas and isn't too bad. Otherwise I believe Nescafe has the contract for coffee at the resort. This may have changed recently, but since it has been so bad in the past, I just stay away from the coffee and go for the caffeinated cold beverages.

DisneyKevin
10-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Compass Books in DTD has decent (not great) coffee,

It's just a 5 minute walk from the Grand.

Simba001
10-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Compass Books in DTD has decent (not great) coffee,

It's just a 5 minute walk from the Grand.

I forgot about Compass Books. We didn't spend much time in DTD this past August. Will have to make up for that next July. (MUST SHOP MORE!!!!) ;)

willie28
10-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Our catsitter (Yes, we have a catsitter!) told us we got our packet Monday, but we won't get back home until Saturday. Will there be any problem getting the paperwork out by next Monday?

k5jmh
10-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Our catsitter (Yes, we have a catsitter!) told us we got our packet Monday, but we won't get back home until Saturday. Will there be any problem getting the paperwork out by next Monday?

We have a cat sitter also. She would send us pics of our furr babies ever day when we were in London and Paris. :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
10-25-2011, 11:02 PM

No need to worry at all.

It will be fine if you return your paperwork next week.

mnra
10-28-2011, 11:29 AM
we just got back this week from WDW and are wondering when is the date we have to have our package back.

Mark

DisneyKevin
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
we just got back this week from WDW and are wondering when is the date we have to have our package back.

Mark

ABD would like you to sign and return all pages of your travel agreement as soon as possible.

Your personal info sheet can wait. You do not need passport info or height and weight.

HollyMac71
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm looking at the ABD paperwork and it states to arrive before 1pm on the first day. Does this mean the day the adventure starts?

I'm getting there on Saturday so would it matter what time I got there? Looking at flights and see a lot of flights that get in around 1pm. What happens if it gets in after that time?

OKW Lover
10-31-2011, 04:35 PM
My understanding is they mean the day the adventure starts. They want you there early enough to get you to the hotel before the evening's welcome/get acquainted meal.

DisneyKevin
10-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Jeff is absolutely correct.:thumbsup2

HollyMac71
10-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you!!!:surfweb:

k5jmh
11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
265 days
6360 hours
381646 minutes

HollyMac71
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think my boss would like this put on my email signature line. But I would!:thumbsup2

HollyMac71
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I've been looking for airfare and finally Southwest Air is opening up their bookings through August 2012 on 11/13. Finally!

OKW Lover
11-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Just wondering who is contemplating arriving a day (or more) before and/or staying some extra days afterward.

Obviously we haven't made our final plans yet, but I'm pretty sure we will be there at least one day early. On the other end, I'm guessing an extra day or two.

Since Val & I are going to DL very shortly (just a few days from now) we are probably going to buy Premiere Annual Passes because the incremental cost over what we will pay for 4 day's this trip isn't that much and it gives us flexibility for extra days then.

HollyMac71
11-08-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm arriving on Saturday (as early as possible). There is something that I want to do on Saturday so once I book my flight I will figure that out.

Hoping to get the latest return flight back on Saturday.

OKW Lover
11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I've been playing with airfares and it looks like we will probably head out west a few days before the adventure. Perhaps Wednesday or Thursday. I'm also figuring that we will stay at least a day afterwards, probably two. Those darn AP's are burning a hole in our pockets. pirate:

I see we can book extra nights before/after through ABD, but I'm wondering if that's the best thing to do. I guess I'm expecting their prices to be on the high side for the extra nights. It may be better for us to use DVC points or just pay for a room at an AP rate (if offered), or even stay at a non-Disney hotel part of the time. :3dglasses

Decisions, decisions. popcorn::

DisneyKevin
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
If you book pre nights on your own, arrival transfers are not included.

The same is true for post nights and departure transfers.

MinnieGarden
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I know there will be several people on the adventure at DAP next weekend, I know Mike and I would love to put faces to the names!

Ian (DS8) will be there too, however..... he doesn't know he's going on BSM! So, please don't spoil the surprise.... :goodvibes We are hoping this will be a Christmas present..... :rolleyes1

NitroStitch
11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I know there will be several people on the adventure at DAP next weekend, I know Mike and I would love to put faces to the names!

Ian (DS8) will be there too, however..... he doesn't know he's going on BSM! So, please don't spoil the surprise.... :goodvibes We are hoping this will be a Christmas present..... :rolleyes1

We'll be there...and mum's the word. ;)

mzalicia
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I'll be at DAP w/ DS9 who is coming with me on BSM - I'm so excited for both!! My son is much more laid back then I am :)

OKW Lover
12-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Looking forward to meeting some fellow travelers tonight! I hope I remember everybody's screen name!

NitroStitch
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Looking forward to meeting some fellow travelers tonight! I hope I remember everybody's screen name!

I'm looking forward to it too...though I know I won't remember everyone's screen name! :lmao:

mnra
12-22-2011, 09:15 AM
We are thinking of actual arriving a day or two early and staying a day or two after but haven;t made a final decision as of yet

mark and sue

OKW Lover
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
We are thinking of actual arriving a day or two early and staying a day or two after but haven;t made a final decision as of yet

mark and sue

HI Mark! Nice meeting you last week!

Val & I are going to do the same. I'm probably coming in on Thursday, if not a day earlier. On the other end, I expect we will be there until at least Monday. With AP's we can do as much extra DL/CA as we care to.

Not sure where we will stay when we are there. I'm guessing that at the end of the trip we will stay on at the Grand Californian just to save another pack/un-pack cycle.

k5jmh
12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
The Cars Land and the the CA updates/upgrades look very exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDNT-UmvuLA

This is going to be one heck of a trip! I would love the opportunity to pick the brains of the Principal Creative Advisor of Imagineering. (Fred if you are reading this, maybe you can put that bug in the proper ear! (-; )

HollyMac71
12-28-2011, 02:27 PM
I saw that video on youtube (probably your link) the other day. Definately thinking about taking the latest flight home on Saturday so more time can be spent at DL.

OKW Lover
12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Val & I are going to spend several days afterwards there. We probably won't stay at the GC though because it sounds like the cost/night will be pretty high.

NitroStitch
12-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Val & I are going to spend several days afterwards there. We probably won't stay at the GC though because it sounds like the cost/night will be pretty high.

We'll be trying to stay on our DVC points there for several days after, since the nightly rate is not do-able for us. ;)

k5jmh
12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Points look like the way to go. I was pricing out renting points today.

chirurgeon
12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Points. HMMMMM. That's a thought. I do have another week of vacation as of Sunday. Gotta love those vacation increase years.

Kim

OKW Lover
12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Points look like the way to go. I was pricing out renting points today.

Not a bad suggestion. Of course I could borrow some points from next year, but I hate to do that.

MinnieGarden
12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Ian found out a little while ago that we are doing the BSM trip this summer. He was excited to say the least! :banana:

Right now, he's upstairs reading the nonfiction requirement for his Independent Reading assignment, "Who Was Walt Disney" :rolleyes1 Next quarter, his nonfiction book will be "Who Was Jim Henson" :cool2:

HollyMac71
12-30-2011, 05:44 PM
I am so happy that Ian is excited! Every morning I say to myself "another day closer."
I have been checking airfares and looking at taking a late flight (red eye) back on the Saturday. But still uncertain. :confused3 Thankfully I won't have to be back to work until Tuesday.

OKW Lover
01-01-2012, 12:01 PM
With the New Year arrival, I've turned to more serious consideration of our travel plans. Got a few questions for anybody that knows:

I see that transfers from LAX to the hotel at the start of our Adventure are included. Does that apply even if we don't fly in that day? Val & I are considering actually flying in a few days before and spending some time in Southern California (perhaps San Diego) on our own. We'll probably rent a car for that part. If we rent the car for a few days and return it to LAX on the day that the Adventure officially begins, do we get free transfers to the hotel for the first night?
Similar question on the other end. If we decide to stay at the GF but use our DVC points can we still use the free transfers? I'm guessing the answer to this one is no.
I see that the first two nights are at a Renaissance hotel (which is a Marriott brand). I've got Marriott "status" and wonder if I can get my Marriott number attached to the room reservation for that part of the stay. At least that way I'd get some points for any incidentals charged to the room, and maybe credit for nights stayed.

Also, since we have AP's I'm wondering if there is either a "discount" on the Adventure or some kind of credit we can get? :duck:

So much planning to be done....

DisneyKevin
01-01-2012, 12:22 PM
With the New Year arrival, I've turned to more serious consideration of our travel plans. Got a few questions for anybody that knows:

I see that transfers from LAX to the hotel at the start of our Adventure are included. Does that apply even if we don't fly in that day? Val & I are considering actually flying in a few days before and spending some time in Southern California (perhaps San Diego) on our own. We'll probably rent a car for that part. If we rent the car for a few days and return it to LAX on the day that the Adventure officially begins, do we get free transfers to the hotel for the first night?
Similar question on the other end. If we decide to stay at the GF but use our DVC points can we still use the free transfers? I'm guessing the answer to this one is no.
I see that the first two nights are at a Renaissance hotel (which is a Marriott brand). I've got Marriott "status" and wonder if I can get my Marriott number attached to the room reservation for that part of the stay. At least that way I'd get some points for any incidentals charged to the room, and maybe credit for nights stayed.

Also, since we have AP's I'm wondering if there is either a "discount" on the Adventure or some kind of credit we can get? :duck:

So much planning to be done....

Let's see if I can answer these questions for you....

"I see that transfers from LAX to the hotel at the start of our Adventure are included. Does that apply even if we don't fly in that day? Val & I are considering actually flying in a few days before and spending some time in Southern California (perhaps San Diego) on our own. We'll probably rent a car for that part. If we rent the car for a few days and return it to LAX on the day that the Adventure officially begins, do we get free transfers to the hotel for the first night?"

The simple answer...yes. John and I have done it. You will need to return the car to LAX and meet the ABD rep in order to use the ABD transfers. I will have details closer to the Adventure.

"Similar question on the other end. If we decide to stay at the GF but use our DVC points can we still use the free transfers? I'm guessing the answer to this one is no."

The wise guy answer....if you stay at the GF, no one is going to drive from Orlando to Anaheim to get you to the airport.

The real answer.....no, in this case transfers from the GC will not be included. Transfers are included as long as you are under your ABD reservation. Booking extra nights on your own means that you are not eligible. If you book your additional nights through ABD, transfers are included.

The last shuttle from DL to LAX is at 4:00pm on your day of departure.

"I see that the first two nights are at a Renaissance hotel (which is a Marriott brand). I've got Marriott "status" and wonder if I can get my Marriott number attached to the room reservation for that part of the stay. At least that way I'd get some points for any incidentals charged to the room, and maybe credit for nights stayed."

I believe so, but I will have to double check and get back to you.

"Also, since we have AP's I'm wondering if there is either a "discount" on the Adventure or some kind of credit we can get?"

ABD does not offer an annual pass holder discount, and even if they did...it wouldn't apply to this Adventure due to the fact that this is already under "group pricing". We contracted at this rate.

To answer the next question that usually comes up.....

No. You can not get a discount by using your AP instead of the park hopper passes that come with the package. You can not sell, donate, give away, upgrade, extend, fold, spindle or mutilate the park hoppers that come with the package.

I have fought the good fight in regards to this and I have lost on all counts. The tickets are what they are and that's all that they are.

Hope that helps.

OKW Lover
01-01-2012, 12:25 PM
That helps tremendously Kevin! Appreciate the quick answers.

chirurgeon
01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I really shouldn't read Kevin's witty responses at work. Trying not to laugh at Kevin while talking to customers. Not easy.

Kim

OKW Lover
01-04-2012, 04:42 PM
We'll be trying to stay on our DVC points there for several days after, since the nightly rate is not do-able for us. ;)

Not a bad suggestion. Of course I could borrow some points from next year, but I hate to do that.

Wound up rearranging some of our other WDW trips so I could free-up enough points to spend 3 nights post-Adventure at VGC. That took 90 points, or the equivalent of $900 assuming points rent at $10/point. I'm thinking that the resulting $300/night is less expensive than adding on through ABD.

DisneyKevin
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Wound up rearranging some of our other WDW trips so I could free-up enough points to spend 3 nights post-Adventure at VGC. That took 90 points, or the equivalent of $900 assuming points rent at $10/point. I'm thinking that the resulting $300/night is less expensive than adding on through ABD.

Please keep in mind that you will most likely have to switch rooms at the end of the Adventure, as ABD doesn't use the Villas.

Also, you will need to arrange your own transfers as you will be ending your ABD reservation on the last day of the Adventure.

OKW Lover
01-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Please keep in mind that you will most likely have to switch rooms at the end of the Adventure, as ABD doesn't use the Villas.

Also, you will need to arrange your own transfers as you will be ending your ABD reservation on the last day of the Adventure.

Good points Kevin. I'm assuming that at the least bell services will move our bags from our GC room to our VGC unit. Obviously the DVC units there are different from the hotel rooms so there's really no question that we will have to move.

NitroStitch
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Those 90 points hurt, but they'll be worth it! The non-ABD transportation after the trip is nowhere near as nice, but it works. ;)

HollyMac71
01-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm trying to book airfare and looking to arrive somewhere around noonish on Saturday. Wondering what time would I be able to check in then wondering who else is coming in on Saturday.

chirurgeon
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Airfare purchased. I get into LAX around 11 am on Saturday. Flying Southwest. It has the best times. If the fare goes down in price, I will just use the credit towards my flights for PCC 4.0.

Kim

OKW Lover
01-05-2012, 05:23 AM
I'm trying to book airfare and looking to arrive somewhere around noonish on Saturday. Wondering what time would I be able to check in then wondering who else is coming in on Saturday.

Val & I are probably going to be in SoCal earlier than that, depending on airfare. We're considering coming in a few days earlier (say Thursday) and going down to the San Diego area for a while. Possibly driving up to LAX on Sunday morning to return the car there and then using ABD transfers to the hotel.

DisneyKevin
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
If you are going to arrive earlier and then drop a car off at LAX, you will need to drop the car off in time to meet the ABD transportation at 12:00pm at Terminal 7 (United) near the information booth in the baggage claim area.

I will also need to know for sure so that I can arrange this through ABD.

They will need a definite number in order to send the appropriate sized vehicle.

k5jmh
01-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I hope they finish the bobsleds before we get there!

The Matterhorn Bobsleds is getting some major work done once again. This time they’ll also be returning the seating to individual seats (as it was at opening and as Space Mountain is in Orlando). That means no more lap seating but will also reduce the capacity from a max of 8 bobsledders per run down to 6. So expect lines to lengthen accordingly after the fix. The last day to sit all snug and hold on to your loved one is Sunday the 8th of January. Someone take some pictures for me.

OKW Lover
01-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I hope they finish the bobsleds before we get there!

Me too.

Otherwise I would not ride with you. pirate:

NitroStitch
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I hope they'll be ready by the time we're there! It will be my 4th trip to Disneyland, and it's already been closed for 2 of them. I don't want to make a third! LOL :confused3:rotfl2:

Simba001
01-08-2012, 12:06 AM
We will probably just arrive the first day of the ABD trip. We are planning on staying two days afterwards to enjoy more of the DLR.
Plan on booking air within the next few weeks as we have a credit that expires soon.
Still wishing we didn't have to wait until July for this trip. . .

todd67
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
We are going to be driving to SoCal on the morning of the 29th (We are only about 3 1/2 hours away). I am wondering where we will need to go to park our car and when. Is there parking available at DLR for the days we are not staying there, and are transfers available from DLR on Sunday to Hollywood, or should we just drive to Hollywood on Sunday?

DisneyKevin
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
We are going to be driving to SoCal on the morning of the 29th (We are only about 3 1/2 hours away). I am wondering where we will need to go to park our car and when. Is there parking available at DLR for the days we are not staying there, and are transfers available from DLR on Sunday to Hollywood, or should we just drive to Hollywood on Sunday?

You can park free of charge at the Grand California Resort while participating in your ABD Adventure.

ABD will provide transfers from the GC to the Hollywood Renaissance on the day the Adventure begins.

You will not want to have your car in Hollywood, as you would need to pay to park and on the day we depart Hollywood for DL....there are stops along the way.

For details on how to do this and to remind me that you will need transfers, please shoot me an emai at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTRavel.com

todd67
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;43671213]You can park free of charge at the Grand California Resort while participating in your ABD Adventure.

ABD will provide transfers from the GC to the Hollywood Renaissance on the day the Adventure begins.

You will not want to have your car in Hollywood, as you would need to pay to park and on the day we depart Hollywood for DL....there are stops along the way.

For details on how to do this and to remind me that you will need transfers, please shoot me an emai

Sounds good...thanks

HollyMac71
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I have booked my airfare! Now just have to sit back and wait until July! :cool1:

Miss SD
01-13-2012, 09:50 PM

Looks like my daughter and I will be riding with you in the van from the Grand Californian to Hollywood. We'll be driving up from SD that day.

Simba001
01-13-2012, 10:47 PM
If you are going to arrive earlier and then drop a car off at LAX, you will need to drop the car off in time to meet the ABD transportation at 12:00pm at Terminal 7 (United) near the information booth in the baggage claim area.

I will also need to know for sure so that I can arrange this through ABD.

They will need a definite number in order to send the appropriate sized vehicle.

Are there going to be a couple of different transportation pick up times at LAX? The paperwork talked about making sure to arrive by 1pm, yet you talk about meeting ABD transportation at noon. If we arrived at LAX at 10am for example are we needing to hang out in airport until noon (or 1pm)? or will there be an earlier vehicle to take us to the Renaissance earlier?

Simba001
01-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Does this mean that we wouldn't have to fly into LAX, but could instead fly into SNA and then just catch ABD arranged transportation from the GC at the DLR to take us to the Renaissance? ( Even if we weren't staying at the GC before ABD , but just wanted to meet up with others there to catch the ABD transportation). If so, what time would we have to meet up with the ABD transportation at the GC?

DisneyKevin
01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Are there going to be a couple of different transportation pick up times at LAX? The paperwork talked about making sure to arrive by 1pm, yet you talk about meeting ABD transportation at noon. If we arrived at LAX at 10am for example are we needing to hang out in airport until noon (or 1pm)? or will there be an earlier vehicle to take us to the Renaissance earlier?

ABD requests that you are on the ground by 1:00pm in order to allow you enough time to get to the Renaissance, check in and have a bit of time to get ready for the Welcome Dinner.

If you plan on using ABD transfers from LAX (and you are not on an arriving flight that day) you will need to meet the transportation at The United Terminal (# 7) near the Guest Service desk at noon (12:00pm). This is the one and only scheduled transfer for guests not on scheduled arriving flights.

Does this mean that we wouldn't have to fly into LAX, but could instead fly into SNA and then just catch ABD arranged transportation from the GC at the DLR to take us to the Renaissance? ( Even if we weren't staying at the GC before ABD , but just wanted to meet up with others there to catch the ABD transportation). If so, what time would we have to meet up with the ABD transportation at the GC?

Transportation from the Grand Californian to the Renaissance departs at 1:00pm on the first day of the Adventure.

How you get to the GC is up to you, but the 1:00pm departure is the one and only departure

If you are driving and wish to leave your vehicle at the GC, ABD will pick up the parking fee.

Should you decide to meet the transportation at LAX (at 12:00pm / Noon) or at the GC at 1:00pm, you will need to let me know so I can arrange this with ABD.

This will allow ABD to send the appropriate sized vehicle.

I have arrived at LAX and traveled with 7 other people in a large van and have also been driven to the Renaissance in a Town Car. Knowing the number of passengers looking for transport is important to making this run smoothly.

If you have any questions....just let me know.

Simba001
01-14-2012, 01:54 PM
ABD requests that you are on the ground by 1:00pm in order to allow you enough time to get to the Renaissance, check in and have a bit of time to get ready for the Welcome Dinner.

If you plan on using ABD transfers from LAX (and you are not on an arriving flight that day) you will need to meet the transportation at The United Terminal (# 7) near the Guest Service desk at noon (12:00pm). This is the one and only scheduled transfer for guests not on scheduled arriving flights.

Thank you, Kevin.
If we do arrive on the 29th at LAX and our arrival is say for 9:45am, am I correct to understand that we would be picked up earlier (say 10:30am) and driven to the Renaissance at that time as opposed to waiting in the airport until later? Just want to make sure I understand things since we are trying to decide on the best date, flight and airport.

DisneyKevin
01-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you, Kevin.
If we do arrive on the 29th at LAX and our arrival is say for 9:45am, am I correct to understand that we would be picked up earlier (say 10:30am) and driven to the Renaissance at that time as opposed to waiting in the airport until later? Just want to make sure I understand things since we are trying to decide on the best date, flight and airport.

If you fly into LAX and I provide ABD with your flight number and arrival time, ABD will schedule transfers for you.

If you are arriving at LAX in any manner other than a scheduled incoming flight, there is one transfer time and that is 12:00pm (noon).

There are no other transfer times for guests not arriving via scheduled flights.

If you drive to LAX and return a car at 9:45am, you will be required to wait until the 12:00pm (noon) pick up time and meet the ABD rep at Terminal 7 (United) near the guest service desk.

Again, in order to insure that ABD has a vehicle that will transport everyone wishing to use this service, I will need to know in advance that this is your plan for arrival.

Simba001
01-14-2012, 02:13 PM
If you fly into LAX and I provide ABD with your flight number and arrival time, ABD will schedule transfers for you.

If you are arriving at LAX in any manner other than a scheduled incoming flight, there is one transfer time and that is 12:00pm (noon).

There are no other transfer times for guests not arriving via scheduled flights.

If you drive to LAX and return a car at 9:45am, you will be required to wait until the 12:00pm (noon) pick up time and meet the ABD rep at Terminal 7 (United) near the guest service desk.

Again, in order to insure that ABD has a vehicle that will transport everyone wishing to use this service, I will need to know in advance that this is your plan for arrival.

Thank you, Kevin.
I now understand. This information will help in our travel planning. Once we make our flight arrangements I will let you know.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to an ABD newbie such as myself...:goodvibes

(July is too far away..... It is cold and snowing here at the moment. I am SOOOOO looking forward to CA and warm weather)

TinkerChelle
01-15-2012, 09:15 AM
(July is too far away..... It is cold and snowing here at the moment. I am SOOOOO looking forward to CA and warm weather)

:thumbsup2 I couldn't agree with you more

MinnieGarden
01-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Airfare is booked!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

After much research, we decided to fly into LAX on Friday and take the ABD transfer to the Rennaissance. Sunday we are flying out of SNA, which is a short cab ride from DL! Haven't quite decided on a hotel for the post stay, but we are still considering renting points. Our other option is the Disneyland Hotel.

Email is on its way to Kevin with flight details! :thumbsup2

Simba001
01-18-2012, 05:22 PM
While home bound (due to snow), I took care of a few more things on the check list:

book airfare - check
email flight info to Kevin - check

next up...

book hotel for post ABD stay

k5jmh
01-21-2012, 01:21 PM
From the Disney Parks Blog

"Five Exciting Changes Coming to Disneyland"

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/take-5-exciting-additions-coming-to-disneyland-resort/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DisneyParks+%28Disney+Parks+B log%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

k5jmh
01-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I need to pay attention to which thread I am posting in.

OKW Lover
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
While home bound (due to snow), I took care of a few more things on the check list:

book airfare - check
email flight info to Kevin - check

next up...

book hotel for post ABD stay

How long are you staying after? Val & I will be at VGC for 3 nights.

Simba001
01-21-2012, 04:17 PM
How long are you staying after? Val & I will be at VGC for 3 nights.

We will be staying two additional nights.
Our usual DLR hotel of choice is the PPH. That is probably where we will rest our heads after our stay ends at the GC once ABD wraps up. :goodvibes

OKW Lover
01-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Just to get us anticipating the Adventure:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/386707_2572882208764_1455541005_2760030_531791992_ n.jpg

k5jmh
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
and to keep wetting your whistle...

chirurgeon
01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
and to keep wetting your whistle...

I can't wait to ride this. Who's with me?

Kim

P.S. When I wrote my post it was showing the crazy Ferris Wheel. I am willing to ride EVERYTHING so, Holly, BEWARE!!!

OKW Lover
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Val & I will ride the ferris wheel - but in one of the stationary cars only.

Not getting anywhere near the roller coaster. :scared1:

chirurgeon
01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
I am going in the crazy cars on the Ferris Wheel. Never rode one before.

Kim

HollyMac71
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm up for it. Only had a "near" panic attack problem with an Extreme roller coaster at Busch gardens. It was dark and there was a 90 degree drop.

chirurgeon
01-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I miss the Steel Phantom at Kennywood. Part of it went straight down the hillside above the Monongahela River. Nothing like taking advantage of the topography for a roller coaster.

Kim

NitroStitch
01-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Val & I will ride the ferris wheel - but in one of the stationary cars only.

Not getting anywhere near the roller coaster. :scared1:

I'm with you on the stationary cars! I do love the rollercoaster though. :cool1:

Simba001
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I am going in the crazy cars on the Ferris Wheel. Never rode one before.

Kim

You are aware that some call it "Mickey's Wheel of Death", right ?

Here is my assessment of some of the rides at DLR:
The drop on Splash Mountain.... fun!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ....exciting!
California Screamin' ..... a rush!
The sliding gondolas on Mickey's Fun Wheel.... can scare you to death :scared1:
It all depends on how much sliding is going on, who is in the gondola with you, the weight displacement, etc....

The last time I was on it this past summer,it wasn't so bad. Previous times..... the ride couldn't have been over fast enough....

I think everyone should try a ride at least once ;)

OKW Lover
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Saw this thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867625) over on the DL forum and thought some of the folks attending this event might be interested. :drinking1

NitroStitch
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Saw this thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867625) over on the DL forum and thought some of the folks attending this event might be interested. :drinking1

Looks like we'll need to do some in depth research on the trip! ;)

Simba001
01-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Looks like we'll need to do some in depth research on the trip! ;)

Yeah! Got to love research!

Though I am not sure I am ready to give up my wine for beer at Napa Rose ....:drinking1:

NitroStitch
01-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Though I am not sure I am ready to give up my wine for beer at Napa Rose though....:drinking1:

True - I'm more drawn to the wine there myself. :thumbsup2

OKW Lover
01-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Though I am not sure I am ready to give up my wine for beer at Napa Rose ....:drinking1:

My thought as well. And I do love beer, especially unique craft brews.

Wow, just realized this was my 13,000th post here on the DIS. :disrocks:

k5jmh
01-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Anyone with any pre-days?

http://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/features/48/20-great-things-to-do-in-los-angeles

OKW Lover
01-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Interesting like Mike. Thanks!

Val & I are leaning towards spending a few nights in San Diego before ABD starts. Not sure what we will do there either. Some of our decision will be made according to what we find for good flights. Possibility of flying into SAN and out of SNA if the car rental isn't too expensive. So many things to consider...

HollyMac71
01-28-2012, 07:18 PM
I arrive on Saturday around 12. I would like to take in the sites. A couple of months ago there was something else that I wanted to do but decided not to.

Don't know about doing a power walking trips. Have you thought about going to Universal Studios?
:rolleyes1

OKW Lover
01-29-2012, 05:49 AM
I found this thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297) over on the DL board that discusses airport transportation. May be helpful to those who are not using ABD transfers.

HollyMac71
01-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Yahoooooo 6 months from today we will all be gathering in L.A.!:cheer2:

NitroStitch
01-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Wow! Hard to believe, isn't it?! :cool1::banana::yay::woohoo:

Simba001
01-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Six months seems like a long way away right now... :sad2:
Any ideas on how to make time fly now, but slow down again in six months :laughing:

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM

:goodvibes. Thanks for this pick-me-up!!! We really needed this shot in the arm right now!!

chirurgeon
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I will state this first, I'M GREEDY. I want the ENTIRE podcast team on our trip. Julie, Corey, Terea, Kathy, Max and Max. Yes I even want the dog. I know Max the Dog wouldn't be able to go into the park, unless he becomes some kind of assist dog (I bet he can carry everyone's insulin in a little cooler pack on his back.)

Anyway, I would love the whole team to be there.

Kim

k5jmh
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Worth a watch!!!

http://vimeo.com/25275761

Under 6 months!!

DisneyKevin
02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I will state this first, I'M GREEDY. I want the ENTIRE podcast team on our trip. Julie, Corey, Terea, Kathy, Max and Max. Yes I even want the dog. I know Max the Dog wouldn't be able to go into the park, unless he becomes some kind of assist dog (I bet he can carry everyone's insulin in a little cooler pack on his back.)

Anyway, I would love the whole team to be there.

Kim

Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to happen.

HollyMac71
02-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm sure we could get Max (the dog) a blue vest so he was a "working dog."

I wonder what rides he would like to go on.:lmao:

k5jmh
02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm sure we could get Max (the dog) a blue vest so he was a "working dog."

I wonder what rides he would like to go on.:lmao:

Blue vest, feather boa and a leopard print top! Then he would be a "Working Dog!" :rotfl2:

http://www.doglovergiftbaskets.com/files/1586691/uploaded/FC302.jpg

chirurgeon
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I was just looking at the Disneyland section on the Dis. My question is, can we do everything at Disneyland on our tour? I need to know what I might have to edit out of my wish list.

Kim

OKW Lover
02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm doubting that you'll be able to do everything on your wish list Kim. And that's without even knowing what is on your wish list. From all that I've heard, we will have some great adventures and see stuff that people don't ordinarily see, but we won't have a lot of free time left over.

Val & I are staying a couple of extra days after the trip. I know the Hollands are too.

NitroStitch
02-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I was just looking at the Disneyland section on the Dis. My question is, can we do everything at Disneyland on our tour? I need to know what I might have to edit out of my wish list.

Kim

Our first trip, we managed to do most of DCA on the ABD group DCA day, and we stayed all day on the Friday that's the end of the trip. On the Friday, we were able to do most of our must-do's at Disneyland, but not everything. If you're staying most of the final day (that Friday) before heading home, you will be able to knock out a lot of DL attractions if you plan well. We do a number of attractions as a group (some of which have really long lines normally), but with ABD, you are doing more backstage and special experience things for the most part - rather than rides that you can (technically) visit as a regular park guest (if you had the time).

We did have some time each evening after the group stuff to do a small bit of riding, and with the fast passes and closing the park every night, we managed to do a few more of the big attractions in the evenings. It's tricky - that's why we are staying extra this time.

chirurgeon
02-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Now I have to think about staying longer.

Kim

HollyMac71
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm going to need skates! How many fast passes do we get? How long will the parks stay open?

After the last week I can now think (focus) (obsess) about this trip. I have been dealing with some family medical problems and now things are on the up and up.

I already purchased my first trip must have - a multi outlet bar for all electrical devices.

A question for veterans of this trip - What did you purchase in the exclusive Disney stores? What did you get at imagineering? What are you looking for this time?

How many days till we get there?:cool1:

chirurgeon
02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
If my flight out Saturday doesn't leave until mid afternoon are we able to go to the parks that day without buying tickets? Or do I need to think about upgrading my AP?

Kim

DisneyKevin
02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
If my flight out Saturday doesn't leave until mid afternoon are we able to go to the parks that day without buying tickets? Or do I need to think about upgrading my AP?

Kim

The tickets associated with the adventure are good until the end of your departure day.

These tickets can not be upgraded, extended, saved,, donated, given away, credited, folded, spindled or mutilated.

They are what they are. That's it. No more, no less.

I don't mean to be blunt, but I've fought this battle valiantly and lost each and every time.

chirurgeon
02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks, Kevin. Still debating extending my trip by a day or so. I have an AP for WDW, I figure I will upgrade to the dual park AP if I stay a couple more days.

Kim

NitroStitch
02-11-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm going to need skates! How many fast passes do we get? How long will the parks stay open?

After the last week I can now think (focus) (obsess) about this trip. I have been dealing with some family medical problems and now things are on the up and up.

I already purchased my first trip must have - a multi outlet bar for all electrical devices.

A question for veterans of this trip - What did you purchase in the exclusive Disney stores? What did you get at imagineering? What are you looking for this time?

How many days till we get there?:cool1:

The fast passes probably vary from time to time and are part of the magic not to be spoiled too much too. A lot of rides at Disneyland and DCA don't accept fast passes, so it's a bit different from WDW that way. When we were there before, I think DCA was open maybe until 11 pm and DL until midnight. I haven't checked to see if they've posted hours that far ahead yet.

We've gotten shirts, pens, watches, tote bags and pins from Mickey's of Glendale at Imagineering. This past year, they'd pulled a lot of merchandise for the D23 Expo that was shortly after our trip. This year, I'm hoping they have a full batch of goodies for us to snap up! I managed to spend plenty of money despite the Expo stuff. :rotfl2:

OKW Lover
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks, Kevin. Still debating extending my trip by a day or so. I have an AP for WDW, I figure I will upgrade to the dual park AP if I stay a couple more days.

Kim

Kim, the Premier AP will cost you a lot more than just a couple days worth of park hoppers. Before Val & I went to DL in November I did some back of the envelope calculations and figured that the Premier AP would only work for us if we were planning on spending ~6 days in DL/CA. That's without figuring the discounts that you are then eligible for in almost all the shops and restaurants. :teacher:

I went ahead and did it anyway because I knew we would be back for ABD and would likely spend some extra days then. Of course, the things are now burning a hole in our pockets so an extra trip to DL has been booked for the beginning of March. :rolleyes1

chirurgeon
02-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I will check with guest services before I do an upgrade.

Kim

OKW Lover
02-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to add that my calculations were going from a standard WDW AP (not PAP) at the DVC member price to the Premiere AP which costs $750 (no discount for DVC).

todd67
02-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Kim

I would think that, with some planning, you should be able to do just about everything at Disneyland. As I look at the itinerary, I am seeing 2 afternoons and evenings on your own, plus all day Friday, if you can stay. Using FP, and combined with whatever attractions we experience as part of the tour, should be plenty of time to see most everything at both parks.

GoofyRob
02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Booked my airfare. Chicago to LA! So excited! Unfortunately, no extra days for me-this trip was already a special extra just for me without the family so adding extra days was just too pricey for us right now. It will be my first time at DL/DCA. :banana:

I just realized my Uncle was signed on under his name. I am NOT GoofyRob...I am TinkerChelle!

TinkerChelle
02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi! :cheer2: It's me now! :lmao:

chirurgeon
02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Just checked Southwest rates. I was able to save $120 on my flights for this trip. Which means my airfare for December is about 1/2 paid for so far. Hopefully there will be more credits available in the next couple of months.

Kim

chirurgeon
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
First non Disney wish. In and Out Burger. Is there one near the Renaissance Hollywood?

Kim

OKW Lover
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
First non Disney wish. In and Out Burger. Is there one near the Renaissance Hollywood?

Kim

Looks like there is one about a half-mile away (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=4967l9271l2l9667l23l23l0l0l0l4l224l2667l8.1 3.2l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1383&bih=784&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,12714003916893507127&fb=1&hq=in+and+out+burger&hnear=0x80c2bf23caed15c5:0x65232816fadfd63b,1755+N +Highland+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90028&gl=us&daddr=7009+Sunset+Boulevard,+Hollywood,+CA+90028&geocode=0,34.098218,-118.341472&sa=X&ei=tXk9T9TkEoHe0QHYq93SBw&ved=0CBkQngIwAA).

chirurgeon
02-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Looks like there is one about a half-mile away (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=4967l9271l2l9667l23l23l0l0l0l4l224l2667l8.1 3.2l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1383&bih=784&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,12714003916893507127&fb=1&hq=in+and+out+burger&hnear=0x80c2bf23caed15c5:0x65232816fadfd63b,1755+N +Highland+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90028&gl=us&daddr=7009+Sunset+Boulevard,+Hollywood,+CA+90028&geocode=0,34.098218,-118.341472&sa=X&ei=tXk9T9TkEoHe0QHYq93SBw&ved=0CBkQngIwAA).

Not a bad walk. If it isn't late in the evening.

Kim

OKW Lover
02-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I wonder what the area is like these days. I've heard that some time ago it wasn't very nice once you got of the main drag.

DisneyKevin
02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Kim

Not a bad walk. If it isn't late in the evening.

Kim

The Hollywood Renaissance is located in an urban area.

This is not to say that I have ever felt less than safe in the area. It's in a busy place, but you will need the same skills you would use in any city. Just be aware.

That being said.....In and Out Burger is a bit of a walk. I wouldn't do it at night and I wouldn't do it alone.

On one of our trips, the guides organized a walk and took the group over.

DisneyKevin
02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
If you are looking for a killer burger....

About two blocks down from the HRR is the historic Roosevelt Hotel.

Marilyn Monroe lived there for a while and is said to haunt the hotel. The very first Academy Awards were held here and if you walk toward the back of the lobby.....you will see the tiled staircase where Bill "Bojangles" Robinson taught Shirley Temple how to tap dance.

Right inside the hotel lobby and to your right, there is a bar that serves great burgers, sweet potato fries and "adult" milkshakes.

Also inside the lobby is the bar Teddy's. If you watch things like TMZ, you will recognize this as the place that "young Hollywood" plays.

You will also recognize the hotel from just about every disaster movie ever made.

It's usually one of the first things destroyed when LA gets attacked.

The other thing that gets destroyed is the round Capital Records building and thats a couple of blocks in the other direction.

k5jmh
02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Tour Guide Kevin will be wearing his stylish "Tour Guide" hat.

http://www.disneycostumeideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/toy-story-tour-guide-barbie-costume.jpg

NitroStitch
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Marilyn Monroe lived there for a while and is said to haunt the hotel. The very first Academy Awards were held here and if you walk toward the back of the lobby.....you will see the tiled staircase where Bill "Bojangles" Robinson taught Shirley Temple how to tap dance.

Right inside the hotel lobby and to your right, there is a bar that serves great burgers, sweet potato fries and "adult" milkshakes.

Also inside the lobby is the bar Teddy's. If you watch things like TMZ, you will recognize this as the place that "young Hollywood" plays.

You will also recognize the hotel from just about every disaster movie ever made.

The other thing that gets destroyed is the round Capital Records building and thats a couple of blocks in the other direction.

We need to do that this time! :cool1:

MinnieGarden
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM

The other thing that gets destroyed is the round Capital Records building and thats a couple of blocks in the other direction..

This sounds really good! And I think I'm going to have to find the Lobsta Truck or the Grilled Cheese truck. :cool:

chirurgeon
02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

This sounds really good! And I think I'm going to have to find the Lobsta Truck or the Grilled Cheese truck. :cool:

I'll be with you, Christy. I love grilled cheese. Unforrunately i'm allergic to lobster.

Kim

OKW Lover
02-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I'll be with you, Christy. I love grilled cheese. Unforrunately i'm allergic to lobster.

Kim

I'll have your lobsta Kim. ;)

Actually, I probably wouldn't since I can easily get my own right at home.

HollyMac71
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
I'll try them both just keep me away from scallops...allergic.

TinkerChelle
02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Tour Guide Kevin will be wearing his stylish "Tour Guide" hat.

http://www.disneycostumeideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/toy-story-tour-guide-barbie-costume.jpg

It's funny. This isn't at all how I thought Kevin would look? :confused3

:rotfl:

OKW Lover
02-19-2012, 06:23 AM

I agree. Kevin isn't a blonde. :rolleyes1

chirurgeon
02-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Holly and I discovered last night we have problems with calendars. :rolleyes1 We both thought this tour ended on Saturday. OOOPPPPSSSS. We both made our airline reservations to come home on Saturday. I guess we will be spending an extra day. Will it be worth it to buy a one day pass for Disney Land since my plane leaves at 2:30p? Or should we just hang out at DTD? Or should I extend by another day to Sunday?

Kim

OKW Lover
02-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Considering the price of a one-day pass, its probably not worth it for just a few hours on Saturday morning. Depending on which airport you are flying out of, you'd probably have to head to the airport about 11-12 or so.

Changing to Sunday might help the equation, especially if you leave later on Sunday.

DisneyKevin
02-19-2012, 09:13 AM

I agree. Kevin isn't a blonde. :rolleyes1

My feet are much bigger.

MinnieGarden
02-19-2012, 09:31 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

chirurgeon
02-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Holly and I decided to keep our current plane reservations and stay I
Until Saturday. This way we have all day in the parks Friday and time for leisurely packing and breakfast on Saturday. La Brea Bakery maybe. Or one last whirl thru the World of Disney at DTD.

Kim

HollyMac71
02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Until Saturday. This way we have all day in the parks Friday and time for leisurely packing and breakfast on Saturday. La Brea Bakery maybe. Or one last whirl thru the World of Disney at DTD.

Kim

I figure it was meant to be this way. :wizard:

It will be nice to run through everything once then walk through it the second time. Now I can leave my skates off the "to pack" list.

Only 5 months and 1 week to go!!!!!:cheer2:

chirurgeon
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Kim

Gotta love how things post from my iPad. :lmao:

Kim

mzalicia
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Ian found out a little while ago that we are doing the BSM trip this summer. He was excited to say the least! :banana:

Right now, he's upstairs reading the nonfiction requirement for his Independent Reading assignment, "Who Was Walt Disney" :rolleyes1 Next quarter, his nonfiction book will be "Who Was Jim Henson" :cool2:

I would love to know the author/publisher of the books Ian read so that Corwin (and I) can read them too :thumbsup2

mzalicia
02-22-2012, 09:09 PM

THIS is the stuff I get excited for. I am really excited for all of the tour! MAGIC!

I enjoyed the ABD part of the podcast this week. Now I'm more excited, I didn't think that was possible.

Alicia

MinnieGarden
02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I would love to know the author/publisher of the books Ian read so that Corwin (and I) can read them too :thumbsup2

Who Was Walt Disney was written by Whitney Stewart, and Who Was Jim Henson was written by Joan Holub. Both are available on Amazon for about $4.99, and it's available on kindle too. The "Who Was" series is a series of biographies on notable people in history and it's aimed at 3rd to 5th grade. Others in the series include The Beatles, King Tut, Leonardo da Vinci, Amelia Erhart, just to name a few. Happy reading!

SleepingAriel28
02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Are there any plans to do any backstage magic tours in 2013? i wanna go on one with you guys but can't do it this year.

chirurgeon
03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I have a question about evening activities at Disneyland. Do we get special viewing for World of Color or Fantasmic? Just wondering. Will I need to make other plans?

Kim

OKW Lover
03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I understand that on past ABD tours there has been a special viewing area for WoC. Hoping its the same this time.

Miss SD
03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I have a question about evening activities at Disneyland. Do we get special viewing for World of Color or Fantasmic? Just wondering. Will I need to make other plans?

Kim

When I went on this tour in 2010 we had a special viewing area for Fantasmic and received Fastpasses for World of Color.

DisneyKevin
03-05-2012, 11:10 PM
There will be special viewing for the parade and WOC.

chirurgeon
03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Thank you, Kevin. Now I just have to put Fantasmic on my list for Friday night.

Kim

OKW Lover
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Found a pretty good price for flights (but at strange times) and went ahead and booked them. Saved ~$150/pp over the cost of the flights we would have preferred. Used a couple of VDB vouchers to pay for them so actual out of pocket expense was $62 for Val & I. :thumbsup2

Now I just have to figure out what to do about our arrival day. We get in at almost midnight on the Saturday. Considering staying at a hotel near the airport that night and then having ABD pick us up at the airport Sunday morning. Alternatively, if ABD works that late, just having them get us that night and we will spend the night at the Renn.

bigmoonmullen
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Found a pretty good price for flights (but at strange times) and went ahead and booked them. Saved ~$150/pp over the cost of the flights we would have preferred. Used a couple of VDB vouchers to pay for them so actual out of pocket expense was $62 for Val & I. :thumbsup2

Now I just have to figure out what to do about our arrival day. We get in at almost midnight on the Saturday. Considering staying at a hotel near the airport that night and then having ABD pick us up at the airport Sunday morning. Alternatively, if ABD works that late, just having them get us that night and we will spend the night at the Renn.

Jeff,

You and Val are going to have a blast on this trip. It was so much fun!!!

Mark

itsmuggsie
03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Trip is paid in full!
Got my flights!
Vacation time requested and accepted!!

I'm so excited!! :yay: :cheer2: :dance3:

OKW Lover
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Trip is paid in full!
Got my flights!

Yay! :cool1:

HollyMac71
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: yeaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

TinkerChelle
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Trip is paid in full!
Got my flights!

:thumbsup2 :banana: I am so looking forward to it, too!

mzalicia
03-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Flights are booked! Got lucky, Virgin America just announced their flying Portland-LAX starting in June.

It is starting to feel real :)

HollyMac71
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Flights are booked! Got lucky, Virgin America just announced their flying Portland-LAX starting in June.

It is starting to feel real :)

:woohoo:yahooooo:woohoo:

OKW Lover
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow - we are getting to feel real! :cool1:

I can't believe that Val & I still have several trips before then including a couple of pretty spectacular ones to WDW and PCC 3.0. It will make the time go by really fast!!!

OKW Lover
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Just wondering if anybody is interested in doing dinner at the Napa Rose Chef's Counter on the Wednesday night of our adventure. The itinerary for that day gives us the afternoon/evening free and dinner is not included for that day either.

Val & I did this last week and just can't get over how wonderful it was. We threw caution to the wind and let the chef pick out what they thought was the best for our likes/dislikes. Really a great adventure! Here's what we wound up with:

Amuse Bouche
Scharffenberger Sparkling Wine, Mendocino CA

1st Course
Jeff - Steak Tartare - Valdique, J Lohr Vineyards
Val - Skuna Bay Carpaccio - Nora Albarino, Spain
Mary Jo - Smiling Tiger Salad - Zilliken Riesling, Germany

2nd Course
J - Oak Roasted Calamari - Livio, Falluga, Italy
V - Striped Bass - Far Niente Chardonnay, Napa
M - Diver Sea Scallops - La Crema Chardonnay, Sonoma

3rd Course
J - Saute of Pheasant - Crozes Hermitage, France
V - Rabbit Meatloaf - MacMurray Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast
M - White Cheddar Jalpeno Risotto - EnRoute Pinot Noir, Sonoma

Main Course
J - Petite Filet Mignon - Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander
V - Venison Loin - Lassiter Meritage, Alexander Valley
M - Braised Short Rib of Beef - Faust Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa

The Finale
J - Dulce de Leche Creme Brle - Renwood Orange Moscato
V - Scharffenberger Chocolate Pate - Dows 10 Year Tawny Port
M - Citrus Celebration - Renwood Orange Moscato

Caution: this is not a cheap meal. Expect to pay ~$180/person with wine. The whole experience takes about 3 hours so you would be sacrificing some valuable park time.

merifan
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I would love to do this with you. I love Napa Rose but have never eaten at the Chef's Counter. It would be just me though since I'm solo on this trip.
Carol

OKW Lover
03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Carol, we will keep you in mind. As we get closer I'll see if anybody else wants to join us. We certainly enjoyed our experience there last time and its just better when you have others to share it with.

chirurgeon
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Jeff, I'm a very picky eater. And not really a wine drinker. I do like a nice Reisling on the sweet side, but that's about it. Do you think I would enjoy the dining experience at Napa Rose? I know I would enjoy the company. I am definitely a meat and potatoes kind of girl. With the occasional salad thrown in.

My other thought was the time. Is is my first time at DLR. I do want as much park time as possible.

Kim

OKW Lover
03-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Kim, A couple (maybe more) of thoughts.

As far as being a picky eater goes, that could easily describe me. I'm very much a plain food type of person. Give me a filet and garlic mashed potato (no veggies please) and I'm happy. But on occasion I am willing to try something different. I went into NR knowing that there would be some unusual things on the plate and just decided that I would at least taste everything they brought. Strangely enough I didn't die/choke/turn blue... Off hand I can't think of much I left behind. Part of that is because at the chefs counter they ask your food allergies and your likes/dislikes. I had told the chef that I wasn't big into vegetables, especially green veggies like spinach, broccoli, salads, and that was all it took. None of that appeared on my plate.

As far as park time goes, this is a huge drawback of this. Its a 3-hour experience - time that a lot of us will prefer to spend in the park. Val & I are fortunate enough to have spent 8-9 days at DL/CA in the past year so we aren't in the same kind of "must do it all" pressure that many of our fellow adventurers will be in. There are two seatings for Chef's Counter, one at 5:30 the other at 8:30. We had the early one and the meal was paced so they just had enough time to wipe down the counter before the next seating.

We found that the quantity of wine was probably more than we would have at a meal and by the end Val & I were feeling the effects. The pairings are full glasses of wine (not small tasting pours) that will go with the items the chef has chosen for you. Over the course of the evening that's 5 glasses of wine. Plus we had gotten there early and had a glass beforehand. So, if one of the parks had been open late that night we could have gone in, but we had no inclination to do so. In fact, I'd have a hard time imagining doing so after such a meal.

As far as the type of wine you like - this is something similar to the type of food you like. Let your server know your likes/dislikes and then be open to trying different things. You never know, you may find a new wine. Val & I have tried a lot of different wines and know that just because a wine is a particular varietal (i.e. a Riesling) it can have a large range of flavors and sweetness. So we enjoy trying a lot of different ones. I'll say it again, just approach it with an open mind.

Overall though, this is a difficult decision to make. Val & I are wrestling with it ourselves. You have to weigh the cost in $ and time on one hand against priceless park time on the other hand. Not an easy choice.

chirurgeon
03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks, Jeff. Holly and I will think about it.

Kim

HollyMac71
03-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I have started a "list of things to eat at DL" is a mickey-shaped pretzel, dole whip, and caramel popcorn. popcorn:: The Chef's table at Napa Rose sounds wonderful but after the first glass of wine I would be found undernieth it sound asleep - I'm a light weight. Also I have the wonderful iodine allergy that limits my seafood selection. No "bottom-dwellers" i.e. scallops, mussels, etc. But I do eat sushi just have to watch what I get. :surfweb:

chirurgeon
03-17-2012, 12:06 PM
And my food list includes the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans.

Kim