PDA

View Full Version : The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DisneyKevin
10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
The Dis is headed back to Europe, only this time we are going to Italy.

We will be participating in the Viva Italia Adventure from May 24th - June 3rd 2012.

The cost of this Adventure is as follows:

$4489 per person, based on double occupancy

$4269 for children

$6289 for single travelers.

This Adventure includes 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Tuscany and 2 nights in Venice.

You can view the full itinerary here:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=RomeTuscanyVeniceLandingPage

If you would like to join us for this amazing Adventure, you can do that here:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input_pc.cfm

Joining us so far...

MattinCanberra - Matt
Chropistopy - Christy
Jwren1234 - Jason
apurplebrat - Karen
Kaye - Karen's Mom
Stenogodess - Lauren
Jeri - Lauren's husband
Circusgirl - Heather
Tardis1029 -John
NYC MM - Micki
jcb - Jack
Cathie - Jack's wife
Corky441 - Marilee
Dino - Marilee's husband
DSNYDREAMER - Tracey
Slapwhitey - Chris
skunkvette - Frank
2vettecool - Cathy
tinkerbell1003 - Lisa
Mario
James
Daniel
Patty
Trish
DisneyKevin - Kevin
WebmasterJohn- John
WebmasterPete - Pete
AKAScar - Walter

Want to add your name to the list?

If you have any questions, please write to Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

k5jmh
10-15-2011, 12:36 PM
I see a cast of Characters there!!! And Jason is the ringleader! :rotfl2:

Chropistopy
10-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Certainly looking like a London/Paris reunion...where's the rest of the bunch? :)

Looking forward to traveling with everyone again!

JWren1234
10-15-2011, 12:45 PM

:lmao:

JWren1234
10-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Certainly looking like a London/Paris reunion...where's the rest of the bunch? :)

Looking forward to seeing you again Christy!

Jason

BriarRosie
10-15-2011, 01:50 PM

I'm RIGHT HERE! Gah! You're all killing me! :sad2:

I posted this on the Unplugged front page sticky, but I'm saying it here. I'm going to WDW and DCL a week and a half prior to this trip, with my 2012 to be completely ABD-less. I said that WDW and a Disney Cruise became a consolation prize. :rotfl2:

And these dates are not working well with my month-end work schedule, so I probably couldn't have gone. I very well COULD take the October re-do of Knights/Lights with the dates, but again, I have my 2012 plans made.

I'll have to check back in 2013. :thumbsup2

stenogoddess
10-15-2011, 02:52 PM
We're going to Italy!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

I'm so super-duper, over the moon, crazy excited!!!! And, you know, Jeri will get excited after we get on the plane. Or actually after we get on the plane and he takes a nap, but then I promise he'll be excited! :laughing:

I already got my ABD paperwork. Just about the only time filling out forms is exciting.

Hellos and massive hugs to everyone! And a big super hug to Heather because my photography stress just dropped by half knowing she'll be right next to me getting even better pictures. Still using this as an excuse to buy a wide angle lens though. :woohoo:

Item 1: Fill out ABD forms
Item 2: Renew Jeri's passport
Item 3: Check/book/stress over plane fare
Item 4: Calm the heck down!
Item 5: Peer pressure several people not yet on the list into getting on the list.

Maybe Item 1 should be calm down?

JWren1234
10-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm attempting to learn some Italian, here's what I've learned so far :)

May I have a gelato? = Posso avere un gelato?

One bellini please = Un bellini prego.

Jason

stenogoddess
10-16-2011, 02:14 PM
We just pulled into SSR. This is the life. DTD with friends for dinner. Vacation is officially on!!!

DisneyKevin
10-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Jason

It's important to have "survival" phrases.

It looks like you are set. ;)

Chropistopy
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Jason

I was just thinking about that...you, me, Karen, and Kaye need to get a Bellini together in Italy.

Chropistopy
10-16-2011, 04:08 PM

It's all about priorities. :)

apurplebrat
10-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I was just thinking about that...you, me, Karen, and Kaye need to get a Bellini together in Italy.

We are so in!!!!!:cool1:

apurplebrat
10-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Jason

Jason as our leader you are off to a great start!

JWren1234
10-16-2011, 07:11 PM

I like to be prepared :thumbsup2

We just pulled into SSR. This is the life. DTD with friends for dinner. Vacation is officially on!!!

Have a great trip!

That sounds like a great idea! I wonder if the Bellinis change color in Italy :)

Jason as our leader you are off to a great start!

Between the pizza, pasta, gelato, wine and bellinis, this is going to be some trip!

Jason

mattincanberra
10-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I am disappointed to report that the Faberge Egg display at the Vatican will be over by the time we get to Rome...

DisneyKevin
10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I am disappointed to report that the Faberge Egg display at the Vatican will be over by the time we get to Rome...

Everyone knows that egg season ends May 1st at the Vatican.

There are a few other things to look at though.:thumbsup2

Chropistopy
10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
I found the travel blog below that has some useful information about traveling to Rome / Europe. Some of it seems obvious but could be used as a good check list.

http://www.roninrome.com/traveling-in-europe/what-should-you-do-at-home-before-coming-to-rome-italy-and-europe

NancyIL
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
This sounds like a great trip! My husband and I will be cruising around Italy in May, but the cruise ends in Venice on May 30. It looks like that's the date your group will arrive in Venice, so it's possible we may cross paths with some DISers if we spend our last day in Venice.

JWren1234
10-18-2011, 08:19 PM
I found the travel blog below that has some useful information about traveling to Rome / Europe. Some of it seems obvious but could be used as a good check list.

http://www.roninrome.com/traveling-in-europe/what-should-you-do-at-home-before-coming-to-rome-italy-and-europe

Thank you for posting this! I've bookmarked the site...I will referring to it a lot over the coming months. I really liked the detailed description on how to navigate the airport in Rome.

Jason

stenogoddess
10-23-2011, 09:49 AM
We're back home from a great week at WDW. I hate the post vacation come down! Thanks for the great article Christy! :goodvibes

JWren1234
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
The link below is for the village where we will staying while in Tuscany. It looks beautiful. This is the part of the trip that I am most looking forward to (other than the bellinis, wine, and gelato).

The restaurants on the property sound wonderful. They offer both indoor and outdoor dining. The outdoor dining should provide for some very nice views!

http://www.artimino.com

corky441
10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
The link below is for the village where we will staying while in Tuscany. It looks beautiful. This is the part of the trip that I am most looking forward to (other than the bellinis, wine, and gelato).

The restaurants on the property sound wonderful. They offer both indoor and outdoor dining. The outdoor dining should provide for some very nice views!

Dino and I just got back from the Viva Italia trip 3 weeks ago and I'm in prep mode on a trip report. Our DVD just arrived with all the guides pictures, so after a bit of organization, I hope to have something in writing soon :rolleyes1

I do want to point out that you really only have one free meal while at the Villa and that's the evening after your day trip to Florence.

There were two bus times back to the villa, one at 4pm and the other at 7pm.
No one from our group left at 4:00, there is just too much to see and do and only having a few hours after lunch really isn't enough time.
So, thinking that most if not all of you will be heading back on the 7 pm bus, you won't arrive back until about 8:00 - 8:30pm
I think only 2 couples decided to have dinner in Artimino. Some had an early dinner right in Florence and many others just brought back something to eat, which is what we did.

We picked up a panini and pizza just before leaving. After we got back we got a beer from the bar, a plateful of "free" appetizers and we sat outside on the walkway area outside our room and had a delightful dinner.

If you have any questions about anythingor any part of the trip - Ask Away ;)

JWren1234
10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Dino and I just got back from the Viva Italia trip 3 weeks ago and I'm in prep mode on a trip report. Our DVD just arrived with all the guides pictures, so after a bit of organization, I hope to have something in writing soon :rolleyes1

I do want to point out that you really only have one free meal while at the Villa and that's the evening after your day trip to Florence.

There were two bus times back to the villa, one at 4pm and the other at 7pm.
No one from our group left at 4:00, there is just too much to see and do and only having a few hours after lunch really isn't enough time.
So, thinking that most if not all of you will be heading back on the 7 pm bus, you won't arrive back until about 8:00 - 8:30pm
I think only 2 couples decided to have dinner in Artimino. Some had an early dinner right in Florence and many others just brought back something to eat, which is what we did.

We picked up a panini and pizza just before leaving. After we got back we got a beer from the bar, a plateful of "free" appetizers and we sat outside on the walkway area outside our room and had a delightful dinner.

If you have any questions about anythingor any part of the trip - Ask Away ;)

Thank you for the information! I think on the Florence day I would most likely be on the later bus, I like the idea of picking up food before leaving to bring back.

Jason

tardis1029
10-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the handy site - Reading this got me to wonder and I guess I should know this - but I don't .:confused3.. Is Italy part of the EU ? Is the money Euros or something else ?

:love:Micki

tardis1029
10-25-2011, 09:11 PM

Jason - OMG Did you see the beautiful wine shop ?? We will HAVE to get there.

tardis1029
10-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Did I mention that John and I are IN too ! :banana:Viva Italia

Chropistopy
10-25-2011, 09:22 PM

YAY!!! So happy that you two are joining the group!

Chropistopy
10-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the handy site - Reading this got me to wonder and I guess I should know this - but I don't .:confused3.. Is Italy part of the EU ? Is the money Euros or something else ?

Yes. I do believe that Italy is part of the EU and the money is Euros.

DisneyKevin
10-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Italy is part of the EU and euros are the coin of the realm.:)

By the way....you know us.....we are not usually willing to just let things be.

We always like to tinker with our trips.

No details, no answers, nothing definite...but....you may have options.

There...was that cryptic enough?;)

Buono Serra!

Chropistopy
10-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Buono Serra!

Such a tease!!! :goodvibes

Chropistopy
10-26-2011, 08:13 AM
I found an evening Italian 101 class at Emory University here in Atlanta. It is 10 weeks and covers the following:

After this class, you will be able to
Greet others appropriately
Introduce yourself and others
Briefly describe things and people
Talk about activities and pastimes in the present tense
Make polite exchanges such as those needed for shopping and ordering food
Ask and respond to basic questions
Pronounce and use numbers correctly
Ask for and understand simple directions
Talk about prices and dates, tell time, and discuss the weather

The current session has already started but hope that one starts up again in January. I think it would be worth the time and money.

corky441
10-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Ciao ABDers :wave2:

I am sooooooo excited for all of you. You are going to have a trip beyond your expectations.

Thought I would post a link to a really great Italy information website. I found it before my trip and it was a great resource of information.

:surfweb: http://goitaly.about.com

Don't forget to sign up for the newsletter too - it's like getting a taste of Italy in your inbox every month :goodvibes

JWren1234
10-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Jason - OMG Did you see the beautiful wine shop ?? We will HAVE to get there.

It looks incredible! I hope they offer shipping :)

Very excited that you and John have joined the trip!!!

Jason

JWren1234
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I found an evening Italian 101 class at Emory University here in Atlanta. It is 10 weeks and covers the following:

After this class, you will be able to
Greet others appropriately
Introduce yourself and others
Briefly describe things and people
Talk about activities and pastimes in the present tense
Make polite exchanges such as those needed for shopping and ordering food
Ask and respond to basic questions
Pronounce and use numbers correctly
Ask for and understand simple directions
Talk about prices and dates, tell time, and discuss the weather

The current session has already started but hope that one starts up again in January. I think it would be worth the time and money.

That course sounds great, looks like it covers all the basics!
Jason

Chropistopy
10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Has anyone even thought about booking air yet? I looked at the time I signed up for the trip and then again yesterday. The price has went down a few hundred dollars. Part of me wants to jump on it but am hopeful it may come down more. For London / Paris, I booked extremely early. It worked out well b/c the price only went up from there. What are you guys thinking?

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Has anyone even thought about booking air yet? I looked at the time I signed up for the trip and then again yesterday. The price has went down a few hundred dollars. Part of me wants to jump on it but am hopeful it may come down more. For London / Paris, I booked extremely early. It worked out well b/c the price only went up from there. What are you guys thinking?

I have been pricing airfare and what I am finding seems high right now.

John and I have decided to go to Italy for Christmas and I found first class air for $2500.00 each.

Coach was about $1400 each....but we buy 3 seats in coach. Our choice was 5K or $4200. With first class, you have much higher baggage allowances and no additional fees. It was an easy choice.

It's really a gamble as to when you buy. I know some airlines will give you credit toward your next flight if the price goes down. You might want to look at that as well.

corky441
10-27-2011, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;43077040]I have been pricing airfare and what I am finding seems high right now.

John and I have decided to go to Italy for Christmas and I found first class air for $2500.00 each.QUOTE]

Would you be able to share which airline that was??? :goodvibes

Chropistopy
10-27-2011, 04:16 PM

John and I have decided to go to Italy for Christmas and I found first class air for $2500.00 each.

Coach was about $1400 each....but we buy 3 seats in coach. Our choice was 5K or $4200. With first class, you have much higher baggage allowances and no additional fees. It was an easy choice.

It's really a gamble as to when you buy. I know some airlines will give you credit toward your next flight if the price goes down. You might want to look at that as well.

Italy for Christmas! FUN! Thanks for the feedback regarding flights. You're right. It really is a gamble. I think I may sit on it for a little longer.

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;43077040]I have been pricing airfare and what I am finding seems high right now.

John and I have decided to go to Italy for Christmas and I found first class air for $2500.00 each.QUOTE]

Would you be able to share which airline that was??? :goodvibes

Anything for you my dear....;)

We are flying Delta.

Our outbound flight is Orlando / Atlanta / Rome.

Coming home there are two stops...Venice / Charles De Gaulle (to be so close to Paris and not be able to stop:sad2:) / Atlanta / Orlando.

mattincanberra
10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=corky441;43077569]

We are flying Delta.

Our outbound flight is Orlando / Atlanta / Rome.

Coming home there are two stops...Venice / Charles De Gaulle (to be so close to Paris and not be able to stop:sad2:) / Atlanta / Orlando.

I am flying American from Boston to JFK and then British Airways JFK-London-Rome, then Venice-London-Singapore-Melbourne-Canberra (Stopping for a couple of nights in London - with the possibility of a sneaky side trip to Paris).

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;43078216]

I am flying American from Boston to JFK and then British Airways JFK-London-Rome, then Venice-London-Singapore-Melbourne-Canberra (Stopping for a couple of nights in London - with the possibility of a sneaky side trip to Paris).

I'm pretty sure that you aren't allowed to go to Paris without the rest of us.

mattincanberra
10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=mattincanberra;43078330]

But i need to taste test the 2012 eclair...

apurplebrat
10-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Maybe we'll see ya in Boston :yay:

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Folks,

It has been pointed out to me (Thanks John!!!!) that the actual dates of the trip are 5/24 - 6/1 and not 6/3 as I had in the heading of this thread.

Kevin

apurplebrat
10-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Is anybody planning and pre or post night stays? :figment:

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;43078376]

But i need to taste test the 2012 eclair...

I think I could plan an entire trip around a trip to Fauchon.

The 2012 Eclair......:hippie::hippie:

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 05:39 PM

We are planning one pre-night and two post nights fot the May trip.

For Christmas, we are not planning any pre or post nights.

Also, for the Christmas trip, ABD does not go to the resort in Tuscany.

Those three nights will be at the Bernini Palace in Florence.

JWren1234
10-27-2011, 06:11 PM

I've been monitoring airfare out of the NYC/Newark airports for a couple of weeks ago and it seems a bit high for me as well, I'll probably wait awhile before purchasing.

I think I will be flying Alitalia on the way there...they have a non-stop from Newark-Rome and then flying Delta on the way home on a non-stop from Venice-JFK.

Jason

JWren1234
10-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Probably no pre or post nights for me. Are you planning any?

Jason

Chropistopy
10-27-2011, 06:30 PM

At this point, I'm planning on one pre night. I can't do a repeat of London. I was so exhausted that first night having just gotten in that day. Kevin-I'll be contacting you soon.

I've been having trouble finding non-stop flights on the way home. It seems as though I may be laying over at CDG. How long do you think a lay over should be to safely make the second flight?

tardis1029
10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Folks,

It has been pointed out to me (Thanks John!!!!) that the actual dates of the trip are 5/24 - 6/1 and not 6/3 as I had in the heading of this thread.

Kevin

:confused3

apurplebrat
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Probably no pre or post nights for me. Are you planning any?

Jason

We are looking at doing 2 pre and 1 post night. We found the pre nights were needed in London. :)
Airfare seems high from Boston too right now, There are direct flights from Boston to Rome but no direct flights home from Venice.

JWren1234
10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
We are looking at doing 2 pre and 1 post night. We found the pre nights were needed in London. :)
Airfare seems high from Boston too right now, There are direct flights from Boston to Rome but no direct flights home from Venice.

I'm hoping the airfare goes down, I'm thinking maybe 4-5 months out...hopefully the airlines start announcing some specials. I have my fingers crossed! I've been trying my flight itinerary on various dates this fall/winter and I've found rates between $1,000 - $1,200 R/T, as opposed to $1,700 R/T at the end of May.

There seem to be very few direct flights from Venice back to the US, the only direct flight I can find to New York/Newark is the Delta flight that goes to JFK.

Jason

DisneyKevin
10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I've been having trouble finding non-stop flights on the way home. It seems as though I may be laying over at CDG. How long do you think a lay over should be to safely make the second flight?

In December, we have a 2 hour and 10 minute layover at CDG.

I don't believe you have to go through customs unless you are leaving the airport, so I'm hoping that will be plenty of time.

BriarRosie
10-27-2011, 11:59 PM

I second that thought. :laughing:
We need more time in Paris. I know I really do! I have Fauchon envy.

corky441
10-28-2011, 06:37 AM

In December, we have a 2 hour and 10 minute layover at CDG.

I don't believe you have to go through customs unless you are leaving the airport, so I'm hoping that will be plenty of time.

When we did the trip last month, we flew Air France and had our connections in CDG for our flights into Rome and out of Venice.
In both instances you had to go from one terminal to another. 2E to 2F if memory serves.
In order to do this, you take a shuttle bus.
You also walk down and around and up and down and around again in the process.
Also, you WILL have to go through passport control and a security check point.

I wouldn't want to have any less time than 2 hours between flights.
A slight delay in your arriving flight could become very stressful :scared1:

Oh, BTW on our flight into CDG from NY, they didn't have a gate available and we disembarked via a stairway and then had to take a shuttle bus to the main shuttle bus... They have a lot of those stair thingings all over the place, so my assumption is that this is a common occurrence

Also, just an FYI... The Venice airport is crazy crowded when you first get there. The check in counters don't open until 2 hours before scheduled flights, this is for all airlines. While tourist travel has increased, the area at the check in counter and security has not. It is truly "cattle call" time.
Once you get through security the airport itself is beautiful at the gate areas.
ABD will have your water taxi scheduled to pick you up approx. 3 hours before your flight !!!
Trust me .... You'll need it

stenogoddess
10-28-2011, 08:42 AM
We are also doing one pre night in Rome. I wish we had had an extra day to get used to the time change when we did Knights and Lights, so we're going for it. I wish it could be more!

Marilee: You are a GEM for that info! Thanks so much!:hug:

Chropistopy
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
When we did the trip last month, we flew Air France and had our connections in CDG for our flights into Rome and out of Venice.
In both instances you had to go from one terminal to another. 2E to 2F if memory serves.

Oh, BTW on our flight into CDG from NY, they didn't have a gate available and we disembarked via a stairway and then had to take a shuttle bus to the main shuttle bus... They have a lot of those stair thingings all over the place, so my assumption is that this is a common occurrence

Also, just an FYI... The Venice airport is crazy crowded when you first get there. The check in counters don't open until 2 hours before scheduled flights, this is for all airlines. While tourist travel has increased, the area at the check in counter and security has not. It is truly "cattle call" time.
Once you get through security the airport itself is beautiful at the gate areas.
ABD will have your water taxi scheduled to pick you up approx. 3 hours before your flight !!!

Great info! I will definitely be looking for a minimum of 2 hours for a layover. My last experience at CDG was very stressful. I want to avoid a repeat of that visit...although it had nothing to do with layovers.

jcb
10-28-2011, 11:58 AM
For those missing this weeks podcast(s), and especially this group (of which I soon hope to join), I suggest you head to http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/abd.htm and download the three available podcasts (there are also photos) about Kevin and John's first ABD trip to Italy.

I asked ("nagged") Kevin about these a little bit ago. I had re-listened to the October 10, 2006, Roundtable Podcast (which you can download in iTunes or which is directly available here (http://www.wdwinfo.com/podcast/roundtable12-101006-56k.mp3)) after Kevin announced the 2012 ABD Viva Italy (http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input_pc.cfm)trip. During the podcast, the team mentioned that "a more detailed account of their trip will be made available separately for those interested."

The recordings were originally posted on live365 but the links didn't work. Corey has been able to find the first three files (and I'm still hoping he finds the next 3).

In sending me the link, Kevin needlessly cautioned that that these are "5 years old and we were very, very new to the whole Podcast thing." I need not convince this group that Kevin is being far to self-critical. (Kevin forgets that his classic "sad little crab cake" review is even older. ;)) He also said that while there is a lot of talk about "WALKING 5 MILES" (his words), that this has been "cut down considerably by the addition of a motor coach in recent years."

These are not on iTunes. If you want to listen to them on your iPhone/Pod/Pad, you'll need to first download them (remembering where you saved them) and then transfer them to iTunes (click on "file" then "add file to library" and select the files you downloaded). They will not show up under "podcasts" but under "music" unless you change the "media kind" (under "get info" / "options") to "podcast.")

apurplebrat
10-28-2011, 04:17 PM

This is great info. I love love love :lovestruc Paris but not CDG airport. I think I will try to avoid a connection there. The Delta flight from Venice to JFK with a connnector to Bos might be the way to go for us.

JWren1234
10-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Thank you so much for posting this Marilee! This is very helpful:thumbsup2

This is great info. I love love love :lovestruc Paris but not CDG airport. I think I will try to avoid a connection there. The Delta flight from Venice to JFK with a connnector to Bos might be the way to go for us.

I agree about CDG, I didn't have a particularly good experience. Thankfully the bellini and the wine from the night before helped to keep me mellow and get me through it!

Jason

tardis1029
10-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Matt -

You seem to be the expert flier here - so I hope you don't mind my silly question --- John is looking into the flights and one of the options is to take one carrier to London and another carrier to Rome - Here is my silly question... If we do that ( 2 different airlines ) - Does my luggage follow me ???:confused3 or do I have to pick it up when we land in London and check it in at the next carrier to Rome :confused3 ..
I don't care so much about the jet lag as I do about having my luggage.:laundy:
We have always taken direct flights but the price is so much cheaper with connections .....

However we have also been looking into BA to London - Rome too
Thank :love: Micki

tardis1029
10-29-2011, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=mattincanberra;43078408]

I think I could plan an entire trip around a trip to Fauchon.

The 2012 Eclair......:hippie::hippie:

ahhh how wonderful that would be right now ... there are snow flakes outside my window and it's only OCTOBER in NYC :mad:

tardis1029
10-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Buono Serra!

TINKER AWAY !! we are with you 110% :dance3:....

stenogoddess
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Micki: I'm no expert but I think if you change airlines you have to pick up your bags. I also think that if you don't book it all as one ticket you have to pick up your bags. The savings may not be worth it. (can't wait to see you and John in Dec!)

Kevin: Can't wait for the new and improved plan. What luck you guys get to go to Italy early to pave the way for our trip! Totally a win-win. :goodvibes

corky441
10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Mickie -

Right now I'm looking at flights for the Bella Italia trip next year, my wishful thinking planning :cloud9:

The airlines these days all do what they call "code sharing". They affiliate themselves with other airlines and, for a better word, share flights.

For example, I'm looking at Air Italia for a flight into Venice. The leg from JFK takes me to Rome, this flight is really on Delta. The leg from Rome to Venice is on Air Italia. It's ONE ticket so my bags will follow me.
But, if I booked a flight on Delta to Rome and then booked the Rome to Venice flight separately - I would have TWO tickets and would have to retrieve my luggage and go through security again.

For us, I also have to consider our flight from Buffalo to NY. We like to fly Jet Blue and they code share with Luftstansa and Aer Lingus.
. So. If I book with Jet Blue/Luftstansa or Jet Blue/Aer Lingus, i will have a connection in both JFK and Frankfurt Germany or Dublin Ireland, but my luggage will get checked all the way to Venice and all I have to do is get to the necessary terminals and
gates.

Whew... And I thought just worrying about the jet lag was a pain :laughing:

mattincanberra
10-29-2011, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=mattincanberra;43078330]If we do that ( 2 different airlines ) - Does my luggage follow me ???:confused3 or do I have to pick it up when we land in London and check it in at the next carrier to Rome :confused3 ..

However we have also been looking into BA to London - Rome too
Thank :love: Micki

Usually if you are on one ticket there is not a problem.

But it is often cheaper to book two different tickets - for example, New York - London on American, then BA to Rome.

If you stick to the members of the same alliance, usually you would drop your bags off at New York, and then not see them again until Rome.

There are three alliances:
Oneworld - www.oneworld.com (BA, American, Iberia and others)
Skyteam - www.skyteam.com (Delta, Alitalia, KLM, Air France and others)
Star - www.staralliance.com (Lufthansa, United, Swiss, bmi and others

if you stick within one of the alliances you will get bags interlined, and also your frequent flyer miles will all go into one account.

jcb
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
If you are still air fare shopping, you might check fares today. AA, US Air and United have dropped fares significantly for our itinerary (which is a bit strange).

Chropistopy
11-02-2011, 04:29 PM
If you are still air fare shopping, you might check fares today. AA, US Air and United have dropped fares significantly for our itinerary (which is a bit strange).

Jack - Does that mean you guys have officially joined the group? :woohoo:

Anyone have any feedback on these airlines? I've never flown with US Air or United. I checked out US Air and found a fare that is several hundred dollars less than Delta...who is my preferred airline.

jcb
11-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Anyone have any feedback on these airlines? I've never flown with US Air or United. I checked out US Air and found a fare that is several hundred dollars less than Delta...who is my preferred airline.

"Officially" we are waiting for Kevin to get back to me on a quote and since he is in Hawaii (or on the way at least) I told him not to hurry. But unofficially, we are planning on it.

We regularly fly US Air. Our last flight was 2 weeks ago and it was utterly painless. We flew US Air for PCC 2.0 and the only downside was that we had to walk from one end of the Charlotte airport to the other. I don't know why I found that more of an ordeal than Hartsfield or O'Hare. Unfamiliarity, I suppose.

I've flown United without incident but I only fly them sporadically. Same for AA.

I'm like you. Delta is my first choice but not if they are, as they are at present, $1000 more per person than AA/United/US Air. I'm hoping Delta will match this fare sale pretty soon.

jcb
11-02-2011, 04:44 PM

"Officially" we are waiting for Kevin to get back to me on a quote and since he is in Hawaii (or on the way at least) I told him not to hurry. But unofficially, we are planning on it.

We regularly fly US Air. Our last flight was 2 weeks ago and it was utterly painless. We flew US Air for PCC 2.0 and the only downside was that we had to walk from one end of the Charlotte airport to the other. I don't know why I found that more of an ordeal than Hartsfield or O'Hare. Unfamiliarity, I suppose.

I've flown United without incident but I only fly them sporadically. Same for AA.

I'm like you. Delta is my first choice but right now they $1000 more per person than AA/United/US Air. I'm hoping Delta will match this fare sale pretty soon.

stenogoddess
11-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Delta is our preferred airline too. But United as a flight for $500 bucks to get over there and $900 to get back. I don't know if we should go ahead and book or wait and hope that Delta matches. I don't know what the odds are on that. I feel very torn. I check first class prices and they haven't changed, mores the pity, but for that money I could book three econo seats like John and Kevin do, which may go some way towards helping the flight be less of a pain in the butt.

jcb
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Delta is our preferred airline too. But United as a flight for $500 bucks to get over there and $900 to get back. I don't know if we should go ahead and book or wait and hope that Delta matches. I don't know what the odds are on that. I feel very torn. I check first class prices and they haven't changed, mores the pity, but for that money I could book three econo seats like John and Kevin do, which may go some way towards helping the flight be less of a pain in the butt.

Something to consider, United (but not Continental (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1314,00.html?jumpLink=%2Feconomyplus) just yet) offers "economy plus" seats which provide a little more legroom. (Continental is supposed to have this soon.) The added cost should not be as much as buying a third seat. For a transatlantic flight, I'll happily pay the extra cost.

stenogoddess
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I didn't know about the economy plus on those airlines, thanks, Jack. I know Delta has it.

Here's why booking airfare is annoying. At Travelocity when I put in that I was looking for one seat I got one set of results, when I put in that I wanted three seats I got totally different results. Cheaper too. Looking for three seats apparently United has a seat for $375, and the $500 seat flight I was looking at doesn't even show up in the matrix. I hate booking airfare!

jcb
11-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I didn't know about the economy plus on those airlines, thanks, Jack. I know Delta has it.

Here's why booking airfare is annoying. At Travelocity when I put in that I was looking for one seat I got one set of results, when I put in that I wanted three seats I got totally different results. Cheaper too. Looking for three seats apparently United has a seat for $375, and the $500 seat flight I was looking at doesn't even show up in the matrix. I hate booking airfare!

I agree completely. I've gotten to using Yapta (which uses Kayak for airline searches). Unlike the booking sites, Kayak searches airline sites and the booking sites for the best prices. Yapta then lets you track the cost of specific flights.

stenogoddess
11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Then I went to find the same flight at Continental itself that's $375 on Travelocity, and it's $795. I have a headache now. :upsidedow

jcb
11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Then I went to find the same flight at Continental itself that's $375 on Travelocity, and it's $795. I have a headache now. :upsidedow

One day makes a huge difference in our fare. Leaving 5/22 v 5/23 saves almost $600 per person. :headache:

stenogoddess
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Jack, didn't ya know, all the cool kids are coming in on 5/22. And by cool kids I mean me and Jeri! Cool-ER kids may be coming in on other days! :goodvibes

jcb
11-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Jack, didn't ya know, all the cool kids are coming in on 5/22. And by cool kids I mean me and Jeri! Cool-ER kids may be coming in on other days! :goodvibes

I've never been a cool kid. :cool1:

I was trying to avoid another day away from work. But I found connections that leave after work or late in the afternoon on 5/22 so that makes the choice even easier. I'm sure I'll appreciate having some time to adjust to the time change.

stenogoddess
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Jack: You roll with the Dis, that makes you one of the cool kids! See, you were cool and didn't even know it!

I wonder what our chances of a price match with Delta are. I hate to buy too soon, but seeing the price of two tickets for what the price one has been is making me antsy. I really hate to miss a sale! :cutie:

DisneyKevin
11-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Jack and Cathie should consider themselves "Oficially" part of the Adventure.

The only thing left to do is paperwork and I will get to that as soon as I can.

Our group just got bigger and better. :)

This is going to be awesome!

Aloha / Ciao

HollyMac71
11-03-2011, 04:41 AM
I am jealous I will get to Italy on day!

tardis1029
11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
John just booked our flights -THIS IS SO REAL NOW !! :dance3:
Newark to Rome direct Continental leaving 5:25 pm on 5/22 and then on 6/1 leaving Venice 10:15 am to Frankfurt to Newark - Lufthansa.

This price was ridiculously low:rotfl2:

Anyone else wanna leave from Newark or return back to Newark ... the more the merrier !!:rotfl:

:love: Micki

DisneyKevin
11-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Jack and Cathie are now officially "official".

They are booked with ABD and their names are on the Adventurer's List.

It doesn't get any more "official" than that!

Welcome to the Adventure!!!!!

NYC MM
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Congratulations Jack and Cathie! Welcome to the trip

corky441
11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Micki -

I see you've given John back his DISboard name :laughing:

DisneyKevin
11-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Micki has her own screen name!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

Yay!!!!!!!!

Chropistopy
11-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Yay! Welcome Jack and Cathie!!

I'm about to book airfare with US Airways...I believe. I don't have my paperwork in front of me. Does anyone know the earliest time that we can book the flight for on the departure day?

jcb
11-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone. We are looking forward to this and to getting to know everyone, well, except for Christy (but only because we already know her from PCC 2.0).

Christy, the ABD site simply says to book the departure "Anytime after breakfast." Not very helpful.

stenogoddess
11-03-2011, 03:19 PM
:banana: Yeah Jack and Cathie :banana:

Micki: You got your own screen name! Good for you! I think Jeri and I are on both of your flights with you two. How fun is that!?!

corky441
11-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Yay! Welcome Jack and Cathie!!

I'm about to book airfare with US Airways...I believe. I don't have my paperwork in front of me. Does anyone know the earliest time that we can book the flight for on the departure day?

Remember, the water taxi will be picking you up at the hotel approx. 3 hours before your flight departs from Marco Polo airport.
If your flight is at 8:00am you will be leaving the hotel at 5:00am

Chropistopy
11-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Flights are booked!!!:banana:

US Airways...Atlanta to Charlotte to Rome (arriving on the 23rd)
US Airways...Venice to Philadelphia to Atlanta

Paid under $1000...fabulous!

stenogoddess
11-04-2011, 07:19 AM

:banana::cool1::banana::cool1:

Chropistopy
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Questions: I usually try to fly direct and avoid layovers. My only experience with international flights were the flights for the London/Paris trip this year...which were direct flights. On this trip, I'll have layovers on arrival and departure flights. Where will I go through customs, etc. on the way back? Philadelphia (layover city) or Atlanta (home)? Where will I check in for my departure flight? Domestic (since I have a layover in Charlotte) or International (since my final destination is Rome)? I shouldn't have to worry about my baggage in the layover cities. Right?

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm not the most seasoned traveler.

jcb
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Questions: I usually try to fly direct and avoid layovers. My only experience with international flights were the flights for the London/Paris trip this year...which were direct flights. On this trip, I'll have layovers on arrival and departure flights. Where will I go through customs, etc. on the way back? Philadelphia (layover city) or Atlanta (home)? Where will I check in for my departure flight? Domestic (since I have a layover in Charlotte) or International (since my final destination is Rome)? I shouldn't have to worry about my baggage in the layover cities. Right?

I'm told by my partners, who fly internationally, that you'll go through customs in the the layover city on the return flight and that you'll have to have your baggage with you.

NancyIL
11-04-2011, 12:03 PM

You'll check-in for all flights at your departure city, and your luggage will be checked all the way to Rome. On your return to the US, you'll go through US Customs on the first flight that arrives in the US (Philadelphia). Your bags will also come off the plane, and then have to be rechecked to your final destination.

**By the way - I hope you have a couple of hours between flights in Philadelphia.

Chropistopy
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm told by my partners, who fly internationally, that you'll go through customs in the the layover city on the return flight and that you'll have to have your baggage with you.

You'll check-in for all flights at your departure city, and your luggage will be checked all the way to Rome. On your return to the US, you'll go through US Customs on the first flight that arrives in the US (Philadelphia). Your bags will also come off the plane, and then have to be rechecked to your final destination.

**By the way - I hope you have a couple of hours between flights in Philadelphia.

Thanks for the replies! Great information!

Yes...I have three hours between flights in Philadelphia...although I'm not looking forward to running around an airport that I've never been to before trying to make my next flight.

NYC MM
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! Great information!

Yes...I have three hours between flights in Philadelphia...although I'm not looking forward to running around an airport that I've never been to before trying to make my next flight.

We'll have to compare notes after the trip to decide which is easier - a change of flights internationally or domestically !!:scared1:

Chropistopy
11-04-2011, 07:59 PM
We'll have to compare notes after the trip to decide which is easier - a change of flights internationally or domestically !!:scared1:

I specifically looked for the layovers in the US. I know I'd probably be able to find someone that spoke English in other countries but I was guaranteed that in Charlotte and Philadelphia. If I'm going to be running around (and stressed...b/c I know I will be) then I'd rather that happen in states. No reason to take it out on the citizens of other countries. :good vibes

Now that the flight is booked, I've asked Kevin to add my pre-night in Rome. Check and check....now I've just got to pay for the trip.

I've also got to start really researching what I want to do outside of the things included with the Adventure. I didn't research enough for London and Paris. I regret that now. That's not going to happen this time.

jcb
11-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I've also got to start really researching what I want to do outside of the things included with the Adventure. I didn't research enough for London and Paris. I regret that now. That's not going to happen this time.

I'd be willing to bet that John and I will go looking for the Vampires of Venice. :rolleyes1

stenogoddess
11-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I'd be willing to bet that John and I will go looking for the Vampires of Venice. :rolleyes1

Jeri and I are right there with you. Personally, I'm afraid of all of the statues. Imagine if the David were a Weeping Angel. We wouldn't stand a chance! :scared1:

JWren1234
11-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Welcome Jack and Cathie! Looking forward to meeting you on the trip!!!

Jason

DisneyKevin
11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Howdy from Hawaii!

I have not added the additional nights that have been requested, but will do that as soon as I get home.

Glad you are finding good air prices.

Will gather all hat info next week.

Have a great weekend!

apurplebrat
11-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Great price Christy!
I just booked our flights on Delta/Alitalia - paid under $1000 too! :cool1:

sayhello
11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Man, you guys are so lucky getting such fabulous airfares this year!

Sayhello

Chropistopy
11-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Jeri and I are right there with you. Personally, I'm afraid of all of the statues. Imagine if the David were a Weeping Angel. We wouldn't stand a chance! :scared1:

Add another Dr. Who fan to the list. The Weeping Angels are my favorite.

Karen - I wish I could have found Delta for less than $1000. Great find!

stenogoddess
11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Karen: Jealous of your Delta ticket! Good score! :goodvibes

apurplebrat
11-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Karen - I wish I could have found Delta for less than $1000. Great find!

Karen: Jealous of your Delta ticket! Good score! :goodvibes

We were so lucky!
Now the real planning fun begins!:upsidedow

JWren1234
11-07-2011, 05:57 PM
One day makes a huge difference in our fare. Leaving 5/22 v 5/23 saves almost $600 per person. :headache:

Thank you for the heads-up on this! I had planned to leave on 5/23, but leaving 5/22 saved me a lot of money! Overall (including the pre-night, food, incidental expenses), it will cost me less to arrive Wednesday rather than Thursday. Needless to say, I am very excited!

Jason

jcb
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Rick Steves' podcast (http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/protected/descriptions.cfm?showID=365)(released today) interviews Washington University (St. Louis) Art History professor William E, Wallace who has written: Michelangelo, The Artist, the Man and his Times (http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item242703/?site_locale=en_GB)

And if Rick Steves puts you to sleep (:rolleyes1), Wallace has done several podcasts discussing Michelangelo's works. These are available at the Cambridge University Press website (http://www.cambridgeblog.org/tag/michelangelo/) or in iTunes (search for the podcast using the name of the book). While iTunes and the website include photographs of the art works being discussed, iTunes won't let me download the two latest podcasts.

DisneyKevin
11-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Folks,

I just returned home from being away and went to retrieve the file I kep of everyone requesting additional pre or post nights.

I'm sorry to say that the file was accidentally deleted and I can not access it.

If you requested pre or post nights in the last week, would you please email me again?

i apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Kevin

k5jmh
11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Italy to get ads on monuments to pay for debt.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/11/italys-icons-become-billboards-to-pay-debt/

NYC MM
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Adventures ! You might already know this but thought it was really worth sharing.

Hope all have registered on the Adventures By Disney Insiders program site. I just noticed that for all ABD adventures who are traveling on their 3rd or more ABD trip, that ABD will provide Transportation - TO the Airport from your HOME and FROM the Airport back to your HOME. :banana:
AT NO additional COST !

If you did not register - you can still do it but you have to book your transportation (to and from) the airport to your home by 2/29/2012 for our May Adventure.

ABD uses BLS Transportation Services and provides a Limo or Town Car for your trip. This service is provide around the world and they will take you to and from the airport providing it's within 2 hours from your home.

Once you register - then call 877-728-7282, Pacific Standard time ( sorry I didn't think to ask them for the international number :eek: ) you will need to provide them with your flight information at the time that you book. ( I spoke to Melody, she was very nice and answered all of my questions! )

I thought that this was worth mentioning as sometimes getting to the airport is more difficult than getting to the trip destination.

NYC MM
11-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Opps ! forgot - You must have traveled on the two prior ABD trips between Jan 4, 2005 and August 30, 2011 in order to get this transportation package. If in doubt - Call 877-728-7282 .

JWren1234
11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Adventures ! You might already know this but thought it was really worth sharing.

Hope all have registered on the Adventures By Disney Insiders program site. I just noticed that for all ABD adventures who are traveling on their 3rd or more ABD trip, that ABD will provide Transportation - TO the Airport from your HOME and FROM the Airport back to your HOME. :banana:
AT NO additional COST !

If you did not register - you can still do it but you have to book your transportation (to and from) the airport to your home by 2/29/2012 for our May Adventure.

ABD uses BLS Transportation Services and provides a Limo or Town Car for your trip. This service is provide around the world and they will take you to and from the airport providing it's within 2 hours from your home.

Once you register - then call 877-728-7282, Pacific Standard time ( sorry I didn't think to ask them for the international number :eek: ) you will need to provide them with your flight information at the time that you book. ( I spoke to Melody, she was very nice and answered all of my questions! )

I thought that this was worth mentioning as sometimes getting to the airport is more difficult than getting to the trip destination.

Thank you for the info on this! I'm going to be using it to get to Newark and then home from JFK, it eliminates the worry of getting to the airport!

Jason

JWren1234
11-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Just wanted to pass along something regarding flights...

I checked my flight itinerary for the trip to see if there were any time changes since purchasing. It turned out that the Alitalia flight from Newark-Rome (Delta code share) on 5/22 had been cancelled, and of course Alitalia had not notified me.

Thankfully, Delta had a flight from JFK-Rome the same day that I was able to be moved to, and I was able to get one of the Economy Comfort seats :)

I have learned that it is good to be proactive when it comes to the airlines, and to check flight itineraries on a regular basis.

Jason

stenogoddess
11-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Jason: Good catch on the airline thing, and thanks for the reminder. Is it any wonder that airlines have a PR problem. If it didn't take so long (and money) I would totally take a cruise ship just to avoid the hassle.

Found an Angles and Demons tour that we're thinking about for our early arrival day. I really love sculpture and there's a heck of a lot of it in the movie that's really amazing. Just thought I would pitch that out there in case it might interest anyone else.

Anyone else going to be at Dis-Harry Potter in two weeks? We CANNOT wait! :banana:

apurplebrat
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Jason: Good catch on the airline thing, and thanks for the reminder. Is it any wonder that airlines have a PR problem. If it didn't take so long (and money) I would totally take a cruise ship just to avoid the hassle.

Found an Angles and Demons tour that we're thinking about for our early arrival day. I really love sculpture and there's a heck of a lot of it in the movie that's really amazing. Just thought I would pitch that out there in case it might interest anyone else.

Anyone else going to be at Dis-Harry Potter in two weeks? We CANNOT wait! :banana:

Lauren the Angels & Demons tour sound slik eit might interest us. I can not wait to go to ITALY
My mom & I will be at Disapalooza too!!:cool1:

jcb
11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Happy 48th, Doctor.

While this is almost completely off the topic of Italy, I thought some in this group would appreciate the sentiment.

DisneyKevin
11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
6 months.

181 days.

4344 hours.

260,640 minutes.

Just saying.....:rolleyes1

tardis1029
11-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Happy 48th, Doctor.

While this is almost completely off the topic of Italy, I thought some in this group would appreciate the sentiment.

:thumbsup2

tardis1029
11-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Lauren,
It's funny, Micki and I were talking about doing something like that since we a big Dan Brown fans. We will see you and Jeri in two weeks at Universal. We are bringing our oldest grandson Jason with us as his birthday present.

John :yay:

jcb
11-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Which A&D tour are you considering?

Chropistopy
11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I'm thankful to be going to Italy with a great group of people in 2012!!!!:yay::yay:

stenogoddess
11-24-2011, 09:43 AM
6 months.

Thanks for the ticker. I'm excited y'all are going for Christmas to scout the route for us! It's a big sacrifice and we are truly thankful! :goodvibes

We just got our creds for Harry Potter! SOOOO excited. :dance3: I can't believe we're actually going to be there and be able to move around and breath all at the same time. When we tried to go on our own it was not a happy experience and we didn't even get to ride the main ride or see the Frog Choir or any of the dancers. However, if somebody sees me shopping just remind me that I'm supposed to be saving for ITALY in six months, would ya?! ;)

Here's the Angles and Demons tour we're thinking about:
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Rome-Angels-and-Demons-Half-Day-Tour/d511-3731ANGELS

Some of the places are also on our ABD tour, but I figure that the ABD tours move you along that a chance at two looks might actually be a good thing. Plus, can you really go to St. Peter's Square too much? :laughing:

apurplebrat
11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I'm thankful to be going to Italy with a great group of people in 2012!!!!:yay::yay:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

We are so thankful for all the new friends we met on the London/Paris trip & to be able to go to Italy with everyone!!

jcb
11-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Here's the Angles and Demons tour we're thinking about:
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Rome-Angels-and-Demons-Half-Day-Tour/d511-3731ANGELS

Some of the places are also on our ABD tour, but I figure that the ABD tours move you along that a chance at two looks might actually be a good thing. Plus, can you really go to St. Peter's Square too much? :laughing:

That tour looks perfect. Not to nit pick but it doesn't appear to be offered on 5/22 or 5/23. I does appear to be the "official tour" (http://www.angelsanddemons.it/the_official_tour.aspx) which will book private tours (in English!) on other days. We would be interested in that as well.

JWren1234
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

We are so thankful for all the new friends we met on the London/Paris trip & to be able to go to Italy with everyone!!

Happy Thanksgiving! I am also thankful to be going on this trip, being able to reconnect with so many friends from past adventures...and making new friends as well!

Jason

DisneyKevin
11-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful that I get to share this with all of you.:)

tardis1029
11-24-2011, 12:02 PM
To all our old friends and to our new friends we have not met yet.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

John & Micki

stenogoddess
11-24-2011, 01:15 PM
That tour looks perfect. Not to nit pick but it doesn't appear to be offered on 5/22 or 5/23. I does appear to be the "official tour" (http://www.angelsanddemons.it/the_official_tour.aspx) which will book private tours (in English!) on other days. We would be interested in that as well.

Good catch! I swear it was there when I first looked at it. Though it's possible that I was snorting too much Italian Pixie Dust at the time and so I looked at it wrong. The Official tour looks like a good pick too though.

I'm thankful for all my great Dis friends and having a healthy family, as long as crazy doesn't count, and having this Italy trip to look forward to. And mostly I'm thankful that Jeri has finally decided to do the tree trimming I've been asking him to do! My office just brightened up by at least 50 percent! :rotfl:

jcb
11-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. Now that we have that past us, I am looking forward to meeting everyone who is coming to DAP.

tardis1029
11-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. Now that we have that past us, I am looking forward to meeting everyone who is coming to DAP.

:cool1: We are all set.Our credentials came today!

stenogoddess
11-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I love happy mail! :goodvibes

As opposed to bill mail! :scared1:

Here's a fun little story. In 2008 we went on Knight and Lights. Awesome trip. One of the high schoolers on that trip, Alex, was thinking of coming to SCAD down here in Savannah, so when he and his family came to visit the school we met up and had a nice visit. Now that Alex is a student here we see him from time to time. He's an awesome kid. He just texted me this morning that they are back from their Disney cruise (jealous) and they ran into Missy and Sean, another couple from our 2008 trip, on the cruise, and had a great visit. You really do make amazing friendships on these trips. :hug:

Chropistopy
11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
I love happy mail! :goodvibes

As opposed to bill mail! :scared1:

Here's a fun little story. In 2008 we went on Knight and Lights. Awesome trip. One of the high schoolers on that trip, Alex, was thinking of coming to SCAD down here in Savannah, so when he and his family came to visit the school we met up and had a nice visit. Now that Alex is a student here we see him from time to time. He's an awesome kid. He just texted me this morning that they are back from their Disney cruise (jealous) and they ran into Missy and Sean, another couple from our 2008 trip, on the cruise, and had a great visit. You really do make amazing friendships on these trips. :hug:

What a great story! It's funny (and great) how these trips, no matter the length, bring people together. Experiencing once in a lifetime moments with people brings fast friendships. Looking forward to strengthening current friendships and making new ones in May!!

stenogoddess
12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
So it's back into the swing of things since DAP this past weekend. First off, AWESOME DAP!!!!!!!!!!! We had an uber awesome super great time. And then overslept by an hour, oops!, and almost missed the taping. But we slid into line just in time. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel for the first time this trip. If we cared anything about Universal we would stay there again in a heart beat! :lmao: We liked the vibe at Citywalk better than DTD for some reason and really enjoyed walking around. If we "must" do a repeat of a DAP I would certainly vote for Harry Potter again. We had SUCH a great time I can't even tell ya. Getting to see old friends and meet new ones was just the cherry on my very large sunday that was getting to take all the photos I wanted without people standing in my way and getting in my photos!

Jeri saw the actress who plays Ziva on NCIS making bagels for her kids in the hotel. He managed not to trip over his own feet or drool on her so I was pretty impressed. I was up in the room drying my hair so missed the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure I would have tripped over my own feet and drooled right on her. We do love us some NCIS in this house!

It may (not really) interest you all to know that Jeri's family gives out lotto tickets in the Christmas stockings. In 11 years I have never won one time. I'm starting to get suspicious. (We did Christmas with his family the morning of DAP. Our family is so spread out Santa pretty much starts showing up on Dec 1 and keeps flying through New Years. It's no wonder the holidays tire me) So Jeri pulls out our tickets and I store the quick pick slip in my purse for later, but I tell him if we win the lottery we are doing Italy and Knights and Lights in October, and he says to me, SOLD! Needless to say, we did not win the lottery. :eek: I know, I know, I was shocked too. But for that one instant I could totally see it, Italy in the spring and Knights and Lights over our 12 year anniversary in the fall. And then we did not win. Even though I knew we weren't going to win, it was an actual let down. Strange. Note to self: Do not mentally spend lottery money. It's depressing in the long run.

After the show taping we were kind of hanging around to hug on Kevin and John :hug: At DAP the gang was in such demand we didn't even get to speak to Pete and Walter and wish them Best Wishes and all of that. And I'm from the South! You don't go to someone's party and then not speak to them and say thank you! Flash to the next day. Did I mention we woke up an hour late for the taping? Yeah, so we didn't really eat breakfast but just ran to the taping. And we're kinda hanging out at the end to say hello and thank you and best wishes and all of that. I, actually. That's what I'm doing. Jeri, on the other hand, has ants in his pants until I finally say, what's up, ya got ants in your pants? And he says I'm about to eat my own arm off. Which, really, a person needs both arms. And being the concerned wife that I am I say, really? huh. I'm sure I'll be able to speak to the guys in a second and then we'll feed you. And I get the eyeball of death as he looks up to the podcast table and back to me with the you've got to be kidding look on his face. Yeah, so there's a crowd up there, but surely they'll move along any second now!

The line did not, in fact, whip along the way Jeri wanted it to and after a few minutes I gave in because he kind of was looking a little pale. I did meet SayHello in our mad dash to the car so that was cool. Hi SayHello! Even though by this point "someone" is kind of pulling on my arm, we parked over here, while I'm still talking to SayHello :rotfl: Breakfast people, so weak! hehe And we went to Earl's and he lived, which is a nice thing, and I ran into friends in line which was a little strange but also very fun.

Now I'm back home and trying to get back into the swing of things. Bleh! I need a new job. I'm starting to ask little kids what they think they want to be because I never really have come up with a good idea! Plus, I've told myself that John was technically the planner of the party and I did, in fact, speak to him and tell him Thank You for having us and that we appreciate his hard work, but I didn't thank the host, Pete and I still kind of feel off about that. BUT my guess is Pete is not losing any sleep whatsoever about it and he and Walter's future happiness does not, in fact, rise and fall on my wishing them the best, so I've decided to let it go and not harp on it months from now when nobody will know what I'm talking about anyway. 'Cause I'm mentally healthy like that! :rolleyes1

We're starting our training for the Princess 1/2 this week! So we'll be back for a hit of pixie dust in late February, when I'm sure the weather will be awesome!, and then it's on to Italy. :dance3:

Chropistopy
12-25-2011, 06:30 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:: santa::santa::santa::santa:

jcb
12-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Merry Christmas (too)

JWren1234
12-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! It's hard to believe the trip is less than five months away!!!

Jason

stenogoddess
12-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Merry Christmas everybody!

sayhello
12-26-2011, 02:27 PM
The line did not, in fact, whip along the way Jeri wanted it to and after a few minutes I gave in because he kind of was looking a little pale. I did meet SayHello in our mad dash to the car so that was cool. Hi SayHello! Even though by this point "someone" is kind of pulling on my arm, we parked over here, while I'm still talking to SayHello :rotfl: Breakfast people, so weak! hehe And we went to Earl's and he lived, which is a nice thing, and I ran into friends in line which was a little strange but also very fun.Hey, Lauren! :) It was nice to meet you, too, even if it was brief! :) I totally did not realize you were on a mission of mercy! ;)

Sayhello

stenogoddess
12-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey, Lauren! :) It was nice to meet you, too, even if it was brief! :) I totally did not realize you were on a mission of mercy! ;)

Sayhello

I'm just glad I didn't have annoyed wife face! :laughing:

stenogoddess
12-29-2011, 09:43 AM
So Mrs. Clause (Mama) brought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. After I expressly told Mrs. Clause that I thought that was too much money to spend on me and to just get me a gift certificate. She didn't listen :yay: I LOVES IT SO MUCH! Anyway, I say that to say this: I found a Tardis cover for it on Etsy. It's so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was just saying last night over dinner how now that the holidays are over we are on a spending freeze until Italy. :teacher: And then I saw a Tardis cover for my Fire! The universe is a cruel, cruel place. :goodvibes

And there's also a Tardis skin! :banana:

Somebody sit on me!

jcb
12-29-2011, 09:46 AM
And then I saw a Tardis cover for my Fire!

I think we deserve a photo of this!

I just hope they don't make one for the iPad.

sayhello
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM

I just hope they don't make one for the iPad.http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.294768271.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/88354395/tardis-apple-ipad-2-gel-skin-cover?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=tardis+iPad+cover&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Sayhello

stenogoddess
12-29-2011, 01:22 PM

I just hope they don't make one for the iPad.

Oh, but they do! :rotfl2:

And then there's the cover for the Fire!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/88368959/doctor-who-tardis-case-for-kindle

JWren1234
12-31-2011, 03:03 PM
So Mrs. Clause (Mama) brought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. After I expressly told Mrs. Clause that I thought that was too much money to spend on me and to just get me a gift certificate. She didn't listen :yay: I LOVES IT SO MUCH! Anyway, I say that to say this: I found a Tardis cover for it on Etsy. It's so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was just saying last night over dinner how now that the holidays are over we are on a spending freeze until Italy. :teacher: And then I saw a Tardis cover for my Fire! The universe is a cruel, cruel place. :goodvibes

And there's also a Tardis skin! :banana:

Somebody sit on me!

I got a Kindle for Christmas also. I love it, it will be great to have on the trip!

Jason

jcb
12-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe covers Rome, Travel Channel, 1/3/12, 9:30 am. (Samantha does Verona at 9 am on 1/4/12)

stenogoddess
01-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Tivo is set! :goodvibes

The show The Layover recently did Rome. That's a good one to look out for as well. Apparently the best pizza in Rome is in a little place behind the Vatican. Noted! :thumbsup2

JWren1234
01-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Tivo is set! :goodvibes

The show The Layover recently did Rome. That's a good one to look out for as well. Apparently the best pizza in Rome is in a little place behind the Vatican. Noted! :thumbsup2

I saw The Layover as well. Great episode, I loved the segment in the pizza place!

Jason

Chropistopy
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Did anyone else just realize that we have to have the trip paid for by 2/23? I don't know why that just dawned on me. Wow...second-thinking some of those Christmas presents. ;)

Also...we can now say that we're going to Italy THIS YEAR!! Kevin and John could say that last year and this year but I digress...jealousy is not a good look. :)

stenogoddess
01-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Christy: Thanks for the reminder. :eek: But we do get to go to Italy this year! :woohoo: Why does it have to cost so much?! Maybe to make me appreciate it more. :rotfl2:

In unrelated news: Kevin had recommended a show on PBS called Downton Abbey a little while ago, and I finally watched it. I AM hooked! With my Kindle I got free Prime for a month so I was able to watch it for free. The second season starts this Sunday on PBS. I can't wait! It's so good my mom ordered the DVDs for her collection. Just wanted to let folks know in case anyone was looking for a good show. Maggie Smith is in it and she is just so amazing, and funny too!

stenogoddess
01-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Jeri finally got a photo taken so I could send it in to update his passport. That only took a solid month of me following him around saying, honey, I filled out all of the paperwork and wrote the check, but truly I cannot just go do the photo part for you! :goodvibes

And because I'm sometimes petty I was a tiny bit thrilled when his photo came back looking like a normal passport photo instead of like an ad for GQ. I generally look annoyed in all passport photos I've ever had. Jeri on the other hand looks like a model for passport photos. People have even said, hey, that photo came out great, and he says something like, yeah, it did come out pretty good. :cool2: But now he looks a little crazy in his passport photo too! Hehe! After 14 years together it really is the little things. Little, small minded, petty things! :cutie:

In other news: I bought some travel sized items at Target, got my adapter/converter situation assessed and ordered a small power strip from Amazon.

Then I listened to the podcast and decided we really must go on the Knights and Lights tour, the Italy tour we're already on, back to Italy for Christmas and then the Dis Cruise after that. Great plan! Off to buy lottery ticket! :dance3:

Chropistopy
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Just finished listening to the second installment of John and Kevin's report on their December Italy trip...I thought I would be more excited to see Rome / Vatican City but am now more excited for Tuscany / Orvieto (sp?). I love that we're getting a detailed preview before our trip.

DisneyKevin
01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
And we haven't even talked about Venice yet.:thumbsup2

stenogoddess
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Had a crazy carpy day today. The Italy part really lifted my spirits, and, you know, reminded me why I can't storm off and quit my job. :rotfl:

Chropistopy
01-13-2012, 07:25 AM
And we haven't even talked about Venice yet.:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear about it, Kevin! :thumbsup2

Had a crazy carpy day today. The Italy part really lifted my spirits, and, you know, reminded me why I can't storm off and quit my job. :rotfl:

Yep...had one of those days this week myself.

JWren1234
01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Just finished listening to the second installment of John and Kevin's report on their December Italy trip...I thought I would be more excited to see Rome / Vatican City but am now more excited for Tuscany / Orvieto (sp?). I love that we're getting a detailed preview before our trip.

With each passing week, I become more and more excited for this trip!

I plan on doing the hop on/hop off bus in Rome for the full loop before the start of the ABD (either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning). It sounds like a great way to get an overview of Rome.

I can't wait to see Orvieto, it sounds like everything I imagine Italy to be. I plan on buying things there for people at home...the shipping will come in very handy!

Also really looking forward to experience the highway rest stops, I'm sure it will put the rest stops on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike to shame:)

Jason

apurplebrat
01-16-2012, 08:01 PM

I plan on doing the hop on/hop off bus in Rome for the full loop before the start of the ABD (either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning). It sounds like a great way to get an overview of Rome.

I can't wait to see Orvieto, it sounds like everything I imagine Italy to be. I plan on buying things there for people at home...the shipping will come in very handy!

Also really looking forward to experience the highway rest stops, I'm sure it will put the rest stops on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike to shame:)

Jason

Us too Jason!!:cool1:

Chropistopy
01-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Jason

I was thinking about the hop on / hop off bus as well. I'll be arriving on Wednesday...maybe we can get a group together.

I can't believe the trip is just 4 months away. It will be here before we know it.

Kevin (or anyone who knows)- what kind of adapters did you have for the electrical outlets? Is it the same type that we used in Paris?

DisneyKevin
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Kevin (or anyone who knows)- what kind of adapters did you have for the electrical outlets? Is it the same type that we used in Paris?

I know! I know! ;)

Italy uses the same adapter we used in France.

DisneyKevin
01-17-2012, 09:05 AM
If you are bringing a 3G iPad, you will need a micro sim card to access the internet when not in a wifi area.

There is a Vodaphone store that's roughly a three block walk from our hotel in Rome.

Each of us paid 25 euros for 1 month of service or two gigs of transfer. We were in and out in under 5 minutes and.

As neither of us brought laptops to Italy, we used our iPads quite a bit for work and neither of us came close to going over that allotment.

Chropistopy
01-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I know! I know! ;)

Italy uses the same adapter we used in France.

Thanks Kevin! One thing I don't have to worry about buying. :thumbsup2

JWren1234
01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I was thinking about the hop on / hop off bus as well. I'll be arriving on Wednesday...maybe we can get a group together.

I can't believe the trip is just 4 months away. It will be here before we know it.

I think doing the hop on/hop off bus with a group would be a lot of fun!

Jason

tardis1029
01-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Jason

We highly recommend the hop on/hop off bus. Micki and I used them in London and Dublin. They give great info and itís a good way to get the lay of the land. Itís always best to get on a bus with live commentary if possible.We are in for Wednesday.

John

apurplebrat
01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Jason

We highly recommend the hop on/hop off bus. Micki and I used them in London and Dublin. They give great info and itís a good way to get the lay of the land. Itís always best to get on a bus with live commentary if possible.We are in for Wednesday.

John

We would love to do the hop on/hop off bus with a group :upsidedow

Karen & Kaye

Chropistopy
01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Jason

John

From John and Kevin's report, it seems like this is something we can purchase tickets for upon arrival. As we get closer, we should share arrival times and decide on a meeting time for Wednesday.

Chropistopy
01-18-2012, 04:26 PM
We would love to do the hop on/hop off bus with a group :upsidedow

Karen & Kaye

We were posting at the same time...;)

DisneyKevin
01-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Just a reminder....

Please make sure you let the hotel Concierge (Bernini Bristol on Piazza Barberini) know that you are interested.

It was several euros less per person to book through the Concierge than it was to pay on the bus.

Depending on arrival times.....we may join you.

The weather should be much more pleasant at that time of year....not hot, but not cold....and maybe the open, upper deck will available.

stenogoddess
01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
We are totally hopping on and off the bus! It will look more like careful stepping and foot placement when I do it, but I'll be hopping in my heart!

Jeri's new and improved passport has arrived! So I guess I'm bringing him with me. ;)

I finished filling out my Adventure Booking Information this morning! The only thing it was asking me that I didn't have was a reservation number. Did we get one of those? Or is that a Kevin thing?

As a totally random scrap of news: I woke up with a very annoying stabbing pain in my calf this morning. As I was limping down the stairs I said What the crap?! To which I then said, oh, no, you are NOT starting that. :scared1: It may be a sign that I've listened to too much podcast all at one time! Or the fact that I'm talking to myself may be a sign of impending crazy. :confused3

DisneyKevin
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I finished filling out my Adventure Booking Information this morning! The only thing it was asking me that I didn't have was a reservation number. Did we get one of those? Or is that a Kevin thing?

You can find your ABD reservation number (which begins with U) on your Dreams Unlimited Travel Client Services page.

The Client Services page is located here:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/res-check.cfm

a totally random scrap of news: I woke up with a very annoying stabbing pain in my calf this morning. As I was limping down the stairs I said What the crap?! To which I then said, oh, no, you are NOT starting that. :scared1: It may be a sign that I've listened to too much podcast all at one time! Or the fact that I'm talking to myself may be a sign of impending crazy. :confused3

I'm going with "impending crazy".:thumbsup2

JWren1234
01-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Just listened to the Venice podcast, it sounds like an incredible city! I particularly like that Harry's is adjacent to the hotel, very convenient:)

Jason

stenogoddess
01-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm going with "impending crazy".:thumbsup2

You and Jeri both! :rotfl:

Just listened to the Venice podcast, it sounds like an incredible city! I particularly like that Harry's is adjacent to the hotel, very convenient:)

Jason

Great minds think alike! :woohoo:

Chropistopy
01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I signed up for an Italian I class today. The course is 8 weeks (1 night a week) long and covers the basics. It starts on Wednesday, Feb 1st. I'm excited. Hopefully, I will learn a lot and it will help me pass the time until the trip is here. :)

stenogoddess
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
What a great idea! I looked all over Savannah and couldn't find any classes. I thought they used to teach them at Armstrong, but I can't find the link anymore.

The disboards haven't been letting me on lately. Mean 'ol boards. It's probably the people on the cruise board's fault. Those folks are wound tight lately!

Other random notes:

1, Have started the process of repainting my front door dark green as the light green shows way too much dirt. Have remembered that painting is tedious and annoying.

2, My BFF has made me start playing scramble with her on our phones. It's like boggle where you have to find all the words in the grid. Please note that if at any time our futures and/or lives depend on my playing a game of scramble we are lost. I can't remember the last time I've been so horrible at something.

3, Have been informed that English rules have been changed and now it's only one space after a period and no space after the comma. Who was passing around the crack pipe that day is what I want to know? And why change it is the other thing I want to know. Who looked at the period and said, you know, after all this time, it should really be one space? I. Hate. That. Guy. or I. Hate. That. Guy. Yeah, not changing!

Chropistopy
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
What a great idea! I looked all over Savannah and couldn't find any classes. I thought they used to teach them at Armstrong, but I can't find the link anymore.

The disboards haven't been letting me on lately. Mean 'ol boards. It's probably the people on the cruise board's fault. Those folks are wound tight lately!

Other random notes:

1, Have started the process of repainting my front door dark green as the light green shows way too much dirt. Have remembered that painting is tedious and annoying.

2, My BFF has made me start playing scramble with her on our phones. It's like boggle where you have to find all the words in the grid. Please note that if at any time our futures and/or lives depend on my playing a game of scramble we are lost. I can't remember the last time I've been so horrible at something.

3, Have been informed that English rules have been changed and now it's only one space after a period and no space after the comma. Who was passing around the crack pipe that day is what I want to know? And why change it is the other thing I want to know. Who looked at the period and said, you know, after all this time, it should really be one space? I. Hate. That. Guy. or I. Hate. That. Guy. Yeah, not changing!

Sorry you couldn't find a class. I'm lucky that I work in Atlanta or I would have been out of luck too. I'm sure that I wouldn't find a class where I actually live. Emory offers an "Evenings at Emory" program that offers all kinds of classes. I'll just head over there after work on Wednesdays.

When did the English rules change? It annoys me to no end when someone doesn't put two spaces after a period.

stenogoddess
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Emory offers an "Evenings at Emory" program that offers all kinds of classes. I'll just head over there after work on Wednesdays.

When did the English rules change? It annoys me to no end when someone doesn't put two spaces after a period.

So jealous of your Emory class. Even though I hate Emory. Every time I go there it's like going into a blackhole. I have a charming story of how I got lost in the tunnels under it one night after a depo for about 45 minutes and then popped up back outside in the cold, dark night lost and having no idea where my car was. And then I looked down at my high heeled aching feet. And then it started to snow. And then I started crying. Around about 20 minutes after all that I found my car. The size of my blisters was truly horrifying.

So maybe learn to say where is the parking garage in Italian with hand gestures and a couple of curse words just for me! :goodvibes

The English supposedly changed a little while ago. It's been awhile since I first heard about it, and promptly blew that off. Our court reporting journal came out with a small article about it, which I promptly blew off. I mean, look, one, it's stupid, and, two, court reporting software comes loaded with all kinds of crazy things and one of the things it does is puts in the spaces for periods and commas. I'm not about to start monkeying around trying to figure out how to change that. But then I borrowed a book from the library and guess what it had? One space for periods and none for commas. It drove me insane the whole time! It was a teen lit book though, so I've convinced myself that the entire thing was a typo. :goodvibes When they start printing the Bible with one spaced periods then I'll consider looking into it and not a second beforehand!

Chropistopy
01-26-2012, 04:03 PM
So jealous of your Emory class. Even though I hate Emory. Every time I go there it's like going into a blackhole. I have a charming story of how I got lost in the tunnels under it one night after a depo for about 45 minutes and then popped up back outside in the cold, dark night lost and having no idea where my car was. And then I looked down at my high heeled aching feet. And then it started to snow. And then I started crying. Around about 20 minutes after all that I found my car. The size of my blisters was truly horrifying.

So maybe learn to say where is the parking garage in Italian with hand gestures and a couple of curse words just for me! :goodvibes

Oh goodness!! I've never been over to the Emory campus. Here's hoping that I don't have the same problem. I've printed out maps and directions. I'll do my best to pick up as many colorful words as possible. ;)

jcb
01-26-2012, 04:10 PM

This is how I feel when driving around downtown Atlanta trying to find an interstate entrance.:headache:

Well, except for the high heels.

stenogoddess
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh goodness!! I've never been over to the Emory campus. Here's hoping that I don't have the same problem. I've printed out maps and directions. I'll do my best to pick up as many colorful words as possible. ;)

I didn't consider that you'll be at Emory College and I was at Emory Hospital. Hopefully the school will be easier to get around. Also, if there are underground tunnels, just say no!

This is how I feel when driving around downtown Atlanta trying to find an interstate entrance.:headache:

Well, except for the high heels.

I guess being born in Atlanta I have internal GPS for finding the interstate. Jeri thinks it's the strangest thing he's ever seen. I never really know where I am downtown, but I always get to where I'm going! Just remember, high heels make any outfit more festive!

Chropistopy
01-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I didn't consider that you'll be at Emory College and I was at Emory Hospital. Hopefully the school will be easier to get around. Also, if there are underground tunnels, just say no!

I guess being born in Atlanta I have internal GPS for finding the interstate. Jeri thinks it's the strangest thing he's ever seen. I never really know where I am downtown, but I always get to where I'm going! Just remember, high heels make any outfit more festive!

:rotfl: I'll say no to underground tunnels! I'm thinking about taking a test drive over there during lunch early next week. I hate trying to find something and worrying about being late.

I'm the same way about Atlanta. I've worked downtown for 12 years. I don't know street names and never know where I'm at but seem to get where I need to be.

stenogoddess
01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
:banana::banana:That's WONDERFUL news! I'm so glad!:banana::banana:

I don't know how this got up here? Strange! It should have been one down.

corky441
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
So... It's just a matter of getting the paperwork done, but I just had to say it - " We're going back " Dino and I are going to do the trip again. :)
Yes, it's that good

Ciao !!!!!

JWren1234
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
So... It's just a matter of getting the paperwork done, but I just had to say it - " We're going back " Dino and I are going to do the trip again. :)
Yes, it's that good

Ciao !!!!!

I'm really excited that you and Dino are going to be coming! Can't wait to travel with you both again :goodvibes

Jason

stenogoddess
02-01-2012, 08:09 AM
I've realized two monumental things (maybe three) this week.

1: I haven't really bought any new clothes since our California ABD, but I have gained some weight. Which means my casual pants don't fit. At all. What I mean to say is AT ALL!!! And I still only have that pink sweater that I wore so many times I couldn't always tell what day things happened on in the photos. I think I really must break down and shop a little bit. At least buy a sweater in another color for crying out loud and maybe some pants. Though in my secret heart I would really like to get this extra fluff off and just wear the pants I have.

2: We're not going to be able to do everything I want to do in Italy, or even 1/2. Which is why I keep filling up a piece of paper with things we are never going to get to and then on the plane home I can say, what a great trip. I wish we had gotten to do X. And Jeri can give me the look that says you never in your life thought you were actually going to get to that so shut it. Or maybe his look just says shut it! Or maybe Why God? :rotfl:

Along those lines I would really like to see the Bardini Gardens in Florence. You know, after we get done climbing the church, looking at the leather, going to see the Birth of Venus, eating, pointing, looking, group picture taking. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get over there. Right? I mean look at those views! http://www.gardens-of-tuscany.net/bardini-eng.htm

3: My may be revelation. My little sister is having a baby. The family's first grandchild. I guess it's not really a revelation, more the circle of life, but I'm floored. I remember when my sister came home from the hospital herself all tiny and cute. I bathed her and fed her and dressed her and carried her around. I took her on my dates with guys to get ice cream. I babysat her from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays when the grownups were working. (So illegal now BTW) And now she's having her own baby. I feel like I've been hit in the head with a board.

I'm not so crazy that I didn't remember to remind her that infants get into Disney free up until year three. And that any taking of the baby to Disney without Auntie Lala would result in the silent treatment! I kinda can't wait to buy the tiny mouse ear hat!

Chropistopy
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes, it's that good

Ciao !!!!!

YAY! :thumbsup2

Chropistopy
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I start my Italian I class tonight. Wish me luck. :goodvibes

corky441
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
2: We're not going to be able to do everything I want to do in Italy, or even 1/2. Which is why I keep filling up a piece of paper with things we are never going to get to and then on the plane home I can say, what a great trip. I wish we had gotten to do X. And Jeri can give me the look that says you never in your life thought you were actually going to get to that so shut it. Or maybe his look just says shut it! Or maybe Why God? :rotfl:

Or you do it again and see all thr stuff you couldn't see the first time ;)

Along those lines I would really like to see the Bardini Gardens in Florence. You know, after we get done climbing the church, looking at the leather, going to see the Birth of Venus, eating, pointing, looking, group picture taking. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get over there. Right? I mean look at those views! http://www.gardens-of-tuscany.net/bardini-eng.htm

If I may, I'd suggest doing the Boboli Gardens at the Pitti Palace. It's just a short walk over the Ponte Vechio. You can buy your ticket right there and go straight to the gardens. We went in September and the Gardens had lost their summer splendor, but the views were outstanding. I would think that by the end of May the gardens would be in full bloom. That said, we did not do the Uffizi Gallery... time constraints and all

3: My may be revelation. My little sister is having a baby. The family's first grandchild. I guess it's not really a revelation, more the circle of life, but I'm floored. I remember when my sister came home from the hospital herself all tiny and cute. I bathed her and fed her and dressed her and carried her around. I took her on my dates with guys to get ice cream. I babysat her from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays when the grownups were working. (So illegal now BTW) And now she's having her own baby. I feel like I've been hit in the head with a board.

I'm not so crazy that I didn't remember to remind her that infants get into Disney free up until year three. And that any taking of the baby to Disney without Auntie Lala would result in the silent treatment! I kinda can't wait to buy the tiny mouse ear hat!

Congrats Auntie Lala :goodvibes

corky441
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Buona Fortuna :thumbsup2

stenogoddess
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Molto Bene! Buona fortuna! :goodvibes

Congrats Auntie Lala :goodvibes

:lovestruc I've already gotten my first photo. Looking remarkably like a grain of rice! But I told her mother the baby looks just like she did at that age! :rotfl:

I still can't believe my Angles and Demons tour isn't happening on the right day, or that it's not happening at the right time to make it work on the wrong day. Most annoying as I was really looking forward to it!

But under the listing of things we CAN actually do, are any of us interested in a photo walking tour? Or some other kind of tour? And if yes which one???

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Rome-Photography-Walking-Tour-Learn-How-to-Take-Professional-Photos/d511-3061ROM_PH1

OR

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Papal-Audience-Tickets-and-Presentation/d511-3731POPE

OR
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Rome-by-Night-Walking-Tour/d511-3058NIGHT

OR

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Private-Tour-Borghese-Gallery-and-Baroque-Rome-Art-History-Walking-Tour/d511-3207H

I'm most interested in the Borghese Gallery tour and the Photo Tour. But the interest of other friends could easily sway me in another direction. I know for sure that I'm hardly worth talking to on travel days so it will probably be Hop On Hop Off bus and just sort of wandering and taking it all in on the 22nd.

JWren1234
02-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Good Luck!!

Jason:goodvibes

Chropistopy
02-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all of the well wishes! The class was fun but moved really quickly. I learn by taking time to really process things...and this class doesn't exactly work that way. Oh well! I'm going to have fun with it and learn as much as I can. I really need to study before next week!

stenogoddess
02-02-2012, 06:43 AM
You'll get the hang of it Christy! If you think about it finding the class and then finding your car again after is a major first victory! :cheer2:

DisneyKevin
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
It's official!

Please welcome Marilee and Dino to our Italian Adventure.

I haven't even sent them their confirmation email, but then I know what's important and posting here is what's important.;)

Welcome Marilee and Dino!!!!!

Ciao

Chropistopy
02-02-2012, 07:25 PM

:lovestruc I've already gotten my first photo. Looking remarkably like a grain of rice! But I told her mother the baby looks just like she did at that age! :rotfl:

I still can't believe my Angles and Demons tour isn't happening on the right day, or that it's not happening at the right time to make it work on the wrong day. Most annoying as I was really looking forward to it!

But under the listing of things we CAN actually do, are any of us interested in a photo walking tour? Or some other kind of tour? And if yes which one???

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Rome-Photography-Walking-Tour-Learn-How-to-Take-Professional-Photos/d511-3061ROM_PH1

OR

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Papal-Audience-Tickets-and-Presentation/d511-3731POPE

OR
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Rome-by-Night-Walking-Tour/d511-3058NIGHT

OR

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/10021/tours/Rome/Private-Tour-Borghese-Gallery-and-Baroque-Rome-Art-History-Walking-Tour/d511-3207H

I'm most interested in the Borghese Gallery tour and the Photo Tour. But the interest of other friends could easily sway me in another direction. I know for sure that I'm hardly worth talking to on travel days so it will probably be Hop On Hop Off bus and just sort of wandering and taking it all in on the 22nd.

I'd definitely be interested in doing one of the tours...I would be most interested in the photo tour or the night tour.

corky441
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
It's official!

Please welcome Marilee and Dino to our Italian Adventure.

I haven't even sent them their confirmation email, but then I know what's important and posting here is what's important.;)

Welcome Marilee and Dino!!!!!

Ciao

I love being official. :love:

We can't wait to reconnect with some old friends and meet some soon to be new friends. :grouphug:

apurplebrat
02-03-2012, 09:07 AM

OR

OR

OR

These look great. The night tour especially, but we would be up for any of them.

I don't drink coffee but found this and it looks so awesome
http://thegreatitaliancafe.com/episode1mov.html

So excited for this trip!!!:upsidedow

DSNYDREAMER
02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Guess what?

Chris and I are joining you all!!!

We are very excited and can't wait to spend time with old friends and meet some new ones!

Italy here we come!

stenogoddess
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Guess what?

We are very excited and can't wait to spend time with old friends and meet some new ones!

Italy here we come!

:dance3:DANCE OF JOY:dance3:

corky441
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Guess what?

Italy here we come!

Buongiorno :goodvibes

Can't wait to see you guys again :grouphug:

DisneyKevin
02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
It's officially official...

Tracey and Chris will be joining us as we invade Italy!

Welcome Tracey and Chris.

JWren1234
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Guess what?

Italy here we come!

I can't wait to see you and Chris in Italy! Seeing your post made my day!

Jason

Chropistopy
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Guess what?

Italy here we come!

YAY! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

DSNYDREAMER
02-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks everyone!!

Jason, I believe this will be the third time we have vacationed together in as many years. Lucky Chris was with us for 2 of them or people would talk!!!

We are very late to this party, trying to catch up on this thread in between working.

Who has pre and/or post nights?

We are not able to arrive until the 24th due to Chris's work schedule, but will be adding a day or 2 on at the end in Venice I think.

Today's plan is to get air booked.

corky441
02-04-2012, 08:30 AM
We're arriving the 24th also and are staying 2 extra nights in Venice :)

We could stay in Venice for a month and it still wouldn't be long enough!

skunkvette
02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
OK, we are in.

We just sent Kevin our request....

Can't wait to see you all again, and meet new friends.

(Really we just go on these trips for the neat pins!!!)

Just kidding - this is a great adventure with great people.

Frank and Cathy

DisneyKevin
02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I am full of Official Announcements this week.....

It's officially official....

Frank and Cathy will be joining us on our Italy Invasion!

Welcome Frank and Cathy.

JWren1234
02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone!!

Jason, I believe this will be the third time we have vacationed together in as many years. Lucky Chris was with us for 2 of them or people would talk!!!

We are very late to this party, trying to catch up on this thread in between working.

We are not able to arrive until the 24th due to Chris's work schedule, but will be adding a day or 2 on at the end in Venice I think.

Yes, this will be the third time traveling together with ABD! It's hard to believe that the first trip was almost two years ago.

I'm doing a pre-night in Rome. One thing I found when researching air is that most of the flights back from Venice have a layover somewhere (generally either in Paris or somewhere in Germany). I actually am leaving/coming back through JFK this trip rather than Newark, because Delta has one of the few direct flights into the US out of Venice.

Jason

JWren1234
02-04-2012, 10:13 AM
OK, we are in.

Frank and Cathy

Very excited that you will be coming to Italy! I'm hoping the breakfast pastries in Italy are as good as the ones in Paris (I still think about the sugar topped brioche)!

Jason

2vettecool
02-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I am full of Official Announcements this week.....

It's officially official....

Frank and Cathy will be joining us on our Italy Invasion!

Welcome Frank and Cathy.

This is my first post on the Boards, so excited to be joining everyone for another ABD adventure and hope to start posting more.

Kevin, although skunkvette2 is cute, can I be 2vettecool on the list??

Thanks,

Cathy

skunkvette
02-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Very excited that you will be coming to Italy! I'm hoping the breakfast pastries in Italy are as good as the ones in Paris (I still think about the sugar topped brioche)!

Jason

Jason,

Imagine those brioches with a Bellini!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Frank

DisneyKevin
02-04-2012, 11:32 AM
This is my first post on the Boards, so excited to be joining everyone for another ABD adventure and hope to start posting more.

Thanks,

Cathy

Of course you can.;)

Consider yourself "fixed".:laughing:

DisneyKevin
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Just looking at the calendar and with final payment fast approaching (2/23/2012), it's time to start our Thursday night ABD chats.

The first one will be held on Thursday, March 8th at 8:00pm (ish).

All you need to do is enter Chat and choose the ABD room.

This will give us a chance to talk and plan and obsess. (I know you all;))

If you have any questions.....let me know.

Chropistopy
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
OK, we are in.

Frank and Cathy

Yay! I can't wait to see you both again!:thumbsup2

Chropistopy
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone!!

I'll be spending one pre-night in Rome. :cool1:

DSNYDREAMER
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks,

Cathy

OMG! Welcome to the darkside Cathy!! Finally an official DISboards name!

2vettecool
02-04-2012, 12:06 PM
OMG! Welcome to the darkside Cathy!! Finally an official DISboards name!

Yes, I am becoming one of the collective ... next thing you know I will become obsessed with the Haunted Mansion!

DSNYDREAMER
02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes, I am becoming one of the collective ... next thing you know I will become obsessed with the Haunted Mansion!

:)

We are so excited that you guys decided to join us--what a great group of people going on this trip!

stenogoddess
02-04-2012, 12:21 PM
OK, we are in.

Frank and Cathy

:dance3: More Dance of Joy!!!!:dance3:

corky441
02-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Frank and Cathy!!!!Awesome news - welcome to the ABD 1.0 reunion trip
It'll be great to see you guys again :)
Maybe we should check our wardrobes Cathy, I don't want to show up wearing the same shorts again. LOL

2vettecool
02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Frank and Cathy!!!!Awesome news - welcome to the ABD 1.0 reunion trip
It'll be great to see you guys again :)
Maybe we should check our wardrobes Cathy, I don't want to show up wearing the same shorts again. LOL

Hey Marilee, we have good taste in clothing! :rotfl:

Looking forward to seeing you and Dino again.

slapwhitey
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Late to the party but looking forward to this trip. It took some persuasion from good friends but our arms were finally twisted far enough we had to succumb to the peer pressure..:lmao: We eventually decided that it was the group of people travelling that made this trip so much more enticing for us.

Also, I had to make sure I was along for this one to make sure there was no funny business going on between Jason and my wife.:thumbsup2 They sure seem to travel together quite a bit.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

pianificazione felice e vedere tutti presto

JWren1234
02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Late to the party but looking forward to this trip. It took some persuasion from good friends but our arms were finally twisted far enough we had to succumb to the peer pressure..:lmao: We eventually decided that it was the group of people travelling that made this trip so much more enticing for us.

Also, I had to make sure I was along for this one to make sure there was no funny business going on between Jason and my wife.:thumbsup2 They sure seem to travel together quite a bit.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

pianificazione felice e vedere tutti presto

Looking forward to seeing you and Tracey! This is going to be an incredible trip!

Jason

tardis1029
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi everyone,
This is shaping up to be a great trip. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with
Our return flight home is thru Frankfurt via Lufthansa for both parts and we have a 1 hour and 20minutes lay over.
Is this enought time to make a connecting flight? :confused3
John

MinnieGarden
02-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I found this article on Rome today and thought y'all might find it helpful......

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/escape/destinations/best-rome-470340?hpt=itr_t1

Caio!

stenogoddess
02-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi everyone,
This is shaping up to be a great trip. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with
Our return flight home is thru Frankfurt via Lufthansa for both parts and we have a 1 hour and 20minutes lay over.
John

We're on those same flights with you guys. I did a lot of reading on travel/airline forums and most people seemed to think that making the connection is possible. Apparently the airport is German-ly efficient. :goodvibes I decided to cross my fingers and hope for the best. I did a Google search on the airline and on the airport to find most of what I read. it has been awhile though since I looked. It was right around when we were talking about booking.

I found this article on Rome today and thought y'all might find it helpful......

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/escape/destinations/best-rome-470340?hpt=itr_t1

Caio!

Great link! Thanks so much! :hug:

DisneyKevin
02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Airfare is now booked!

We are now official too.

jcb
02-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Airfare is now booked!

We are now official too.

Maybe this time you'll run into Madonna at the JFK Sky Club

DisneyKevin
02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe this time you'll run into Madonna at the JFK Sky Club

Flying through Philadelphia on this trip.

Maybe she'll be there.:)

skunkvette
02-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Flying through Philadelphia on this trip.

Maybe she'll be there.:)

Are you still going over a day early??

DisneyKevin
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Are you still going over a day early??

We will be in Italy earlier than that, but will be arriving in Rome on 5/23.

DisneyKevin
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
We have some new folks joining us on our Italy Invasion!

Please welcome Lisa, Mario, James and Daniel.

They are now official participants because they are on the LIST!.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

skunkvette
02-08-2012, 10:39 AM
We have some new folks joining os on Italy Invasion!

Hey I know those people!!!

Lisa is my sister, and obviously Mario is my brother-in-law along with their two sons - Jim who is 26 and Dan who is 23.

They have listened to Cathy and I describe our past DIS/ABD adventures and now they get the chance to share in one.

Working on getting them to post on the boards or join chat soon.

Thanks again Kevin for helping to get their trip booked.

Frank

Chropistopy
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Welcome to all the folks newly added to the list!!!:welcome:

corky441
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
We will be in Italy earlier than that, but will be arriving in Rome on 5/23.

Cool, a pre-adventure trip :goodvibes

Are you still planning on staying on in Venice at the end too?

Ciao...Benvenuti alla Lista :wave2:

apurplebrat
02-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Welcome everyone!!
We are so excited for this trip - getting closer :cool1:

corky441
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi everyone,
John

Since you'll be traveling on the same airline, most likely you'll be arriving and departing from the same terminal.
***note*** for anyone flying through CDG in Paris - you'll have to change terminals.

The only thing you'll need to do when you arrive, is to go through passport control and then go to your departure gate.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't have enough time to make that connection.

slapwhitey
02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Hey I know those people!!!

Lisa is my sister, and obviously Mario is my brother-in-law along with their two sons - Jim who is 26 and Dan who is 23.

They have listened to Cathy and I describe our past DIS/ABD adventures and now they get the chance to share in one.

Working on getting them so post on the boards or join chat soon.

Thanks again Kevin for helping to get their trip booked.

Frank

We've had the pleasure of spending some time with Mario, Lisa, Dan and Jim. Great folks. Looking forward to hanging out with them again. Hopefully this time without the hurricane force winds.

skunkvette
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
We've had the pleasure of spending some time with Mario, Lisa, Dan and Jim. Great folks. Looking forward to hanging out with them again. Hopefully this time without the hurricane force winds.

Yeah, that was a crazy night (Friday night at last year's Swan and Dolphin Food Festival).

I thought it would never stop raining.

DisneyKevin
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Cool, a pre-adventure trip :goodvibes

Are you still planning on staying on in Venice at the end too?

Our plans are to arrive in Barcelona on 5/13 and board the NCL Epic for a 7 night Mediterranean cruise.

We return to Barcelona on 5/20 and our plan is to take an overnight train to Milan, where we will spend 5/21 and 5/22.

We then plan to take a train to Rome and arrive on 5/23.

After our Adventure, we will be staying in Venice for two nights and heading home on 6/3.

Any of this (accept for our Adventure) is subject to change.

JWren1234
02-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Welcome aboard!

Jason

stenogoddess
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
:banana: Welcome New Folks to the Adventure!:banana:

Our plans are to arrive in Barcelona on 5/13 and board the NCL Epic for a 7 night Mediterranean cruise.

We return to Barcelona on 5/20 and our plan is to take an overnight train to Milan, where we will spend 5/21 and 5/22.

We then plan to take a train to Rome and arrive on 5/23.

After our Adventure, we will be staying in Venice for two nights and heading home on 6/3.

Any of this (accept for our Adventure) is subject to change.

This reads like a dream vacation. It couldn't happen to nicer folks!:hug:

tinkerbell1003
02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes, and Swan and Dolphin owes me several free drinks... do I get a voucher in Italy?

We are in need of a crash course in Italian, only know curse words from Uncle Frank... but not Aunt Cathy lol

Chropistopy
02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Just arrived home from my second Italian class. Feeling better than last week. I wasn't completely lost. :cheer2:

slapwhitey
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Yes, and Swan and Dolphin owes me several free drinks... do I get a voucher in Italy?

We are in need of a crash course in Italian, only know curse words from Uncle Frank... but not Aunt Cathy lol

Curse words from Frank....I don't believe it. From Cathy...that I would believe...:rotfl:

skunkvette
02-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Curse words from Frank....I don't believe it. From Cathy...that I would believe...:rotfl:

At the end of our last trip to Italy, Cathy's Great aunt who lived in Bari, taught me some really good Italian curse words over a bottle of strawberry infused grain alcohol which they call Fragaline (spell?), I returned the favor in English.

Needless to say, the next phone conversation between Cathy's Great aunt and her sister back in Philly was quite interesting.....

corky441
02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Just arrived home from my second Italian class. Feeling better than last week. I wasn't completely lost. :cheer2:

Molto buona :thumbsup2

Dino and I tried to find an Italian language class locally. We found one through one of the school districts, but the classes conflicted with other vacation plans so we never got to take it.

I did find a few helpful things though to bridge the language gap:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/corky441/2c93c7c0.jpg

This little book, put out by Lonely Planet, is very comprehensive and as you can see, comparable in size to my iphone.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/corky441/52d59f3e.jpg

This is the BEST app. I still use it everyday.
Dino and I try to write messages to each other in Italian. One word of caution, this will translate most thing for you literally, which may not be the best as far as proper grammatical Italian is concerned.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/corky441/dea4c1c4.jpg

This is a fun app. It's put out by Fiat and it has the basic words and phrases you could possibly need on the trip.

What is really great about the two iPhone apps, is that they're both audio apps. When you click on the little speaker icon, you'll hear the Italian translation. This is very helpful, since a lot of Italian letters are not pronounced as you would expect.

I believe the Google Translate app was free and the Italian Language one cost a dollar or two.

There are many other Italian language iPhone apps, these just happened to be the ones I liked ;)

DisneyKevin
02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I need to explain the "door to door" transfer service ABD is offering this year.

Most of the folks traveling on this Adventure are eligible for this new perk.

The requirements are that you have completed two ABD Adventures and that you have registered on the ABD Insiders web page. It can be found here:

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/adventure-insiders/

When booking these groups, I deal with an ABD agent that has been assigned to us. I only deal with her when handling any detail of your reservations or our trip. Because she handles every detail, it sometimes takes me a bit to respond. This is because I wait to speak with her. She has booked every single Dis group reservation since that very first Backstage Magic Adventure.

She knows all of you by name and some of you might have met her at Club 33. Her name is Sue.

Sue is very aware of who is and isn't eligible for this new perk and we have discussed this at length. The issue is that our trip is still too far out to do any actual scheduling. I am told that as we get nearer to our departure date, we will fill in the details. I will contact each one of you if I need information that I don't already have.

Other than registering on line, there is no need to contact ABD. Trust me. They know us.:)

If you have any questions about this or anything else.....please let me know.

sayhello
02-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Kevin, Sue is fabulous! I've worked with her, also. (She has nothing but good things to say about you!)

Sayhello