PDA

View Full Version : When the server asks if you're on the dining plan...

NeverlandClub23
10-14-2011, 01:34 PM
What if you don't know? We are eating at more TS meals then we have credits for and I've kind of loosely figured what we'll eat to get the most "value" out of the credits. For example, one night we have reservations at San Angel, but I think we may just want to order a few appetizers to share as our meals (the appetizers appeal more to me than the entrees there). I won't know until after we're there and depending upon how hungry we are or what interests us at the time.

Can I tell the server after we've ordered whether or not we're using the dining plan, or does that screw something up? I know they usually ask before ordering.

MrsLS
10-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I think they ask to make sure you know what is included and not included, this is why they like to see the cards, to see if you have the deluxe or regular, and to see how many adults/children are on the plan. You can say that yes you are on the plan, show them the card if asked, but mention that you want to review the menu first since you might be ordering OOP.

DisneyLoverUSA
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
If you don't know they won't know. I would tell them that yes you are on the dining plan but that you may not be using it for that meal, you haven't decided yet if you are going to order apps and pay for them or order an entree and use your dining credits. It's not hard to communicate your plan to them so they will know what they are working with.

TDC Nala
10-14-2011, 02:33 PM
You need to tell them before you order so that the order can be rung up properly. Dining plan orders are rung up differently from off-plan orders.

They could possibly change the order after the meal but it means they will have to ring up your entire order again. You can say when you order exactly what you want on DDP and don't want on DDP but so long as you tell them before you order it will work out.

So you can say that yes, you have the plan, but you don't know yet if you will be using it to pay for this meal. Then if you decide to use it, tell the server when you place the order.

NeverlandClub23
10-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! :goodvibes I didn't want it to be something difficult for the server to correct or to be a hassle to them. Your answers help a lot. Thank you!

jcieutat
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
We are in the same boat as you. We booked a signature for one of our table service meals so we will be paying out of pocket for one meal. I just looked at all of the prices of the restaurants we are eating at and we will just pay at the cheapest of them. I am not even going to tell the server that we are on the dining plan just to ensure there is no confusion going forward since the OOP meal is in the middle.

tinka-belle
10-15-2011, 03:44 PM
But the server will have to know if you're using the DDP or not to enter your order correctly. Yes, it can be adjusted later, but is extra work and takes extra time, and if a few tables do this to a server during his/her shift they can get backed up resulting in less attentive service to other diners, etc., etc., etc.

Most likely they'll ask when you check in too. Just let them and your server know you might be paying out of pocket and will let them know when you order. When we pay OOP we charge to the room, so of course the CM is going to see DDP on our card. If I made it clear when I ordered there is less chance of the DDP credits being charged by mistake. If you are paying other than by room charge, no problem in not telling them about the DDP, when they ask just say no.