PDA

View Full Version : DISDADS 2012 WDW Marathon Weekend, are you going?

IamTrike
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Right now I have to live vicariously through those of you that are going. I figured I'd start a thread to keep track of all the people that are going to be there that weekend.

disneyrunner79
10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I'll be there...it'll be my sixth Disney Marathon weekend in a row! I'm running the full and just ran the Wine and Dine last weekend....they made some GREAT improvement since last year!!

FreezinRafiki
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I just did my first 5K two weekends ago (Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Milwaukee). I didn't keep exact time, but finished in around 40 minutes. I did run/jog the whole thing, though, so I'm pretty proud of that.

Maybe I'll be ready for the 2022 WDW marathon. :faint:

IamTrike
10-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I just did my first 5K two weekends ago (Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Milwaukee). I didn't keep exact time, but finished in around 40 minutes. I did run/jog the whole thing, though, so I'm pretty proud of that.

Maybe I'll be ready for the 2022 WDW marathon. :faint:

Congratulations on your first 5k Barry. Running/Jogging the whole time is a big accomplishment. From where you are now it'd take 19 weeks to get ready for a half marathon. You could easily be ready for the 2013 half or the 2013 full.
You'll be coming off a new baby then so you shouldn't have any problem with waking up at 3 am for the race.

IamTrike
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
I'll be there...it'll be my sixth Disney Marathon weekend in a row! I'm running the full and just ran the Wine and Dine last weekend....they made some GREAT improvement since last year!!

Six in a row is pretty impressive. Has the new Donald medal tempted you into running the Goofy this year. We have some friends that just did the Wine and Dine relay. The "baton" was a rolling pin? Who wants to run 8 miles holding a rolling pin?

RodBelding
10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I'll be there! This will be my 3rd Disney Marathon, and 4th weekend (did the half in 2005). Looking forward to it, its s great race, and there's no better course in the world!

May try to ride Expedition Everest during the run. Talked to a few guys who did it last year and it made me want to try it... Depends on my timing when I get to AK though, last 2 years the rides weren't going at that point in the morning yet.

Would be great to have a Disdads meet during the run though! I am going to try and get the new logo put onto a racing shirt, once we have it...

Cinderella's Fella
10-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Would be great to have a Disdads meet during the run though! I am going to try and get the new logo put onto a racing shirt, once we have it...

I think it looks like Bacon!

RodBelding
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I think it looks like Bacon!

All my running gear is bacon-scented, for motivation, so that would be appropriate!

:rotfl:

Cinderella's Fella
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
All my running gear is bacon-scented, for motivation, so that would be appropriate!

I don't think that's Bacon you're smelling. :rolleyes1

IamTrike
10-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Bacon scented running gear = a great way to get the neighborhood dogs to give you a bit of extra motivation when you want to slow up on those boring long runs.

RodBelding
10-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't think that's Bacon you're smelling. :rolleyes1

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Bacon scented running gear = a great way to get the neighborhood dogs to give you a bit of extra motivation when you want to slow up on those boring long runs.

Could be a million dollar idea!

IamTrike
10-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Looks like I talked DW into doing marathon weekend again this year. She's only half crazy so she'll be doing the half and well I'm hoping to be goofy. I need to figure out one last thing about work before I can book and hopefully I'll know that by this Friday. If goofy hasn't sold out before then, we'll definitely be going. I'm slowish so based on my finish last year I'll likely be in corral B for the Marathon. I'm definitely up for a meet up and am planning to ride everest during the Marathon.

RodBelding
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks like I talked DW into doing marathon weekend again this year. She's only half crazy so she'll be doing the half and well I'm hoping to be goofy. I need to figure out one last thing about work before I can book and hopefully I'll know that by this Friday. If goofy hasn't sold out before then, we'll definitely be going. I'm slowish so based on my finish last year I'll likely be in corral B for the Marathon. I'm definitely up for a meet up and am planning to ride everest during the Marathon.

Nice!

Coral B isn't that slow at all. We'll have to find a way to meet up during the full if you pull it off! :thumbsup2

IamTrike
10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Got good news at work so I've already started booking stuff. The wife is gonna be half crazy, but I'm full on goofy. We'll definitely have to catch up.

I need to figure out how to time it so I'll get to ride everest. For those of you that have run the full before and been through AK before everest opened up how fast were you running?

RodBelding
10-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Got good news at work so I've already started booking stuff. The wife is gonna be half crazy, but I'm full on goofy. We'll definitely have to catch up.

I need to figure out how to time it so I'll get to ride everest. For those of you that have run the full before and been through AK before everest opened up how fast were you running?

Last year I ran it just under 4 hours. AK is around mile 16, so at that pace I think I ran through at about 8:15-8:30, well before it was open... This year my cousin and I may step back a few corrals to take off later, and stop for more character pictures along the way to try and manage the time better, in order to allow us to get off and ride Everest during the run...

IamTrike
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Last year I ran it just under 4 hours. AK is around mile 16, so at that pace I think I ran through at about 8:15-8:30, well before it was open... This year my cousin and I may step back a few corrals to take off later, and stop for more character pictures along the way to try and manage the time better, in order to allow us to get off and ride Everest during the run...

My relaxed pace is around a 9 or 9:30 mile. Since I'll have just run the half the day before i may slow to closer to between a 10 and 11 minute pace. If I wind up in corral B or C it seems like I wouldn't want to be going much faster than a 10 min/mile or I'll hit AK before it opens.

RodBelding
10-14-2011, 03:14 PM
My relaxed pace is around a 9 or 9:30 mile. Since I'll have just run the half the day before i may slow to closer to between a 10 and 11 minute pace. If I wind up in corral B or C it seems like I wouldn't want to be going much faster than a 10 min/mile or I'll hit AK before it opens.

If you're concerned about running too fast, you could just step back into corral e or f, to give yourself 20 minutes or so. That's what I may do in order to hit AK after opening. I think I'll be in B technically. They are cool with you moving back in corrals, but not forward.

Sounds like we'll be able to have a DisDads marathon meet though! :cool1:

IamTrike
10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
If you're concerned about running too fast, you could just step back into corral e or f, to give yourself 20 minutes or so. That's what I may do in order to hit AK after opening. I think I'll be in B technically. They are cool with you moving back in corrals, but not forward.

Sounds like we'll be able to have a DisDads marathon meet though! :cool1:

I didn't really stop during the half last year. I think this year during the full I am going to try and get some pics with different characters so that should slow me down some too.

theduck619
10-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I plan on running it in 2013. Is the course fairly flat?

RodBelding
10-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I plan on running it in 2013. Is the course fairly flat?

Very flat. A few in-ramp type of bumps (I hesitate to call them hills)... But overall really flat. The course can be a bit congested at points, due to running through the parks and the amount of people running, but overall it's an incredible race to run in.

theduck619
10-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Very flat. A few in-ramp type of bumps (I hesitate to call them hills)... But overall really flat. The course can be a bit congested at points, due to running through the parks and the amount of people running, but overall it's an incredible race to run in.

A couple of questions if you don't mind? What time does it start? My worry is that since it will be my first full ( I have done half ones before) it may take 5-6 hours.

RodBelding
10-15-2011, 10:31 AM
A couple of questions if you don't mind? What time does it start? My worry is that since it will be my first full ( I have done half ones before) it may take 5-6 hours.

Ask away!

It starts at about 5:45 am, there are a bunch of corrals, so you may end up starting around 6 - 6:15 depending on where you are. If you ran it in 6 hours, you'd finish around noon or so...

The only pacing requirement is that you run it in under 7 hours (16 minute per mile pace), so you'd be fine on that. Plus, it finishes in the Epcot parking lot so you can immediately walk into Epcot, go to Germany, and get a big beer and pretzel! :thumbsup2

theduck619
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I have run a half marathon and numerous 5 and 10k and always used what ever shoes I have had at the time. Are there any particular brand or types you guys would recommend?

IamTrike
10-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I have run a half marathon and numerous 5 and 10k and always used what ever shoes I have had at the time. Are there any particular brand or types you guys would recommend?

I am really interested in shoes technology. I've run in everything from fiveFingers( barefoot shoes) to Triaxs ( a stability shoe) and I have spent the past week trying to help my wife pick out shoes. (yes it does involve a spreadsheet.)

Shoes are something that I think are pretty personal. If you haven't had a gait analysis that's something I would have done. It will help you determine what kind of shoe you need. I think there tends to be some variability there. I have had multiple analysis's and sometimes they say I over-pronate and other times they don't. Usually I wind up in a neutral shoe. I am not fast. I averaged 8:54 mm for the half this weekend and I'm about 200 lbs, so for me a really plush shoes seems to work best. Right now my 2 favorites are the Brooks Glycerin and the Nike Vomero. Brooks has just launched the Glycerin 9 so you can get the 8's at runningwarehouse with the Disney wish discount for about 50 bucks.

cj9200
10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the shoe info. I need to get DD another pair this week when she registers for her first timed 10K. There is a good running store near the house and armed with your info, I can at least sound like I know a little bit about it. Add Andriana "Andy" to the list of runners for the half.

RodBelding
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM

I've gone through numerous types of shoes over the years, but have found that I really like Nike's lunarlite line. They're very lite, but have enough comfort and support for longer runs. It all depends on your foot and running style though. I agree with Ryan, getting a gait analysis is worth the time. Any specialty running store will do it for you for free.

IamTrike
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I've gone through numerous types of shoes over the years, but have found that I really like Nike's lunarlite line. They're very lite, but have enough comfort and support for longer runs. It all depends on your foot and running style though. I agree with Ryan, getting a gait analysis is worth the time. Any specialty running store will do it for you for free.

I really like the Lunar Line too. I've run in the lunarflys they are a great shoe. On paper the LunarElite + is the perfect shoe for my wife, but she doesn't like the way they feel.

cj9200
10-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Today we went to a running store. DD signed up for her first organized 10k on November 12. She is starting to gear up for the 10k and the half. Ran 4 miles today in 35-40 minutes. She was complaining she didn't feel good. I thought it was a good time.

They did an analysis of her stride and she has a tendency to roll her left ankle. Bought new shoes that give her better ankle support. Also bought a few different types of energy food.

My question is does anyone have a favorite type of energy stuff? Not that she needs it for the 10K but if she gets into longer training runs, she might need it.

IamTrike
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Today we went to a running store. DD signed up for her first organized 10k on November 12. She is starting to gear up for the 10k and the half. Ran 4 miles today in 35-40 minutes. She was complaining she didn't feel good. I thought it was a good time.

They did an analysis of her stride and she has a tendency to roll her left ankle. Bought new shoes that give her better ankle support. Also bought a few different types of energy food.

My question is does anyone have a favorite type of energy stuff? Not that she needs it for the 10K but if she gets into longer training runs, she might need it.
That's great CJ. She did really well. Sub 10 minute miles will likely put her in Corral B or C which is near the front. She may find that on her 10k race day she run a lot faster. A support shoe should really help her ankle and feel much better.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm no expert but I have run a fair bunch and read a bit too.
She could probably do the half marathon with just water and gatorade, but most people seem to consume some sort of energy food during the half. If she's going to do this it's a good idea to practice with whatever she is going to use during the race. (If you haven't eaten before mid run, it can give you cramps) I personally prefer clif shot turbo energy gel. I like the double expresso version because it has a very high dose of caffeine I'll usually take one before I run and then one after about 45-50 minutes of running if I am doing a run of more than about 9 miles.

Is she running inside or out? Given that you are in South Florida, if she is running outside she should make sure hydrates.

RodBelding
10-26-2011, 01:22 PM

I prefer GU gels, they taste ok, and they're convenient to carry around. I would suggest she try it on her runs, and not to use it before mile 8 or so for longer runs (that's when your body typically could need the sugar/energy. Ryan's spot on above, hydrating is the biggest key. She should make sure she has water/sports drink stops every so often for any runs over 5/6 miles. (I hate when my nemesis is right...)

She's going to love the Disney half, it's such a fun race. :cool1:

cj9200
10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys. We bought a couple of different ones so she can try out the taste. She will probably pick one to use on the 10K, not that she needs it but to see how it affects her. She likes to run outside. She knows the importance of hydration and drinks both before and after her runs. For the 10K I will remind her to drink on the course. First time for that.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous right now. I even started walking again. Jogging won't be for a while until the feet are better. Still stiff up in the calves after a while and is quite painful at times. I don't overdo it and it is getting better. Wish I could be running with you guys.

theduck619
10-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Paul and Ryan. I was going to ask a similar question. During the halfs I ran I always noticed that by mile 9 i felt like I was winding down. I will try some of the gels as I get my miles up.

RodBelding
10-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks Paul and Ryan. I was going to ask a similar question. During the halfs I ran I always noticed that by mile 9 i felt like I was winding down. I will try some of the gels as I get my miles up.

Gels, or bananas, are a great way to get some sugar into your system when you're running that far. Try incorporating it into your runs and see if it helps... I even bring a bunch of Sprees (candy) with me sometimes on long runs, they're not as good for you as gels, but they're tasty!

Goofy + 3
11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Well I haven't been on the disboards for many months, but when I had some questions regarding the marathon weekend, I knew exactly where to go!:cool1:
Add me to the list of Dads who will be there and running in January. All I've done is a 10k last April, but I arranged this trip to land on marathon weekend so I could do a half. I have no intentions of ever doing a full marathon, so this is probably the peak of my running career. My training is going great, but I'm nervous about the logistics of race day. I'll be staying offsite. Will it be possible for me to just get dropped off at a Disney resort and take Transportation to Epcot for the start of the race? I imagine with traffic and road closures it will be difficult for my wife to drop me off close. Also, I read something about photo ops during the race. How does that work? Do people run with cameras? Are there Disney photogs there to take your picture? If so, how do you get the picture? If Disney is taking the pix, could they link it to my photopass? And what exactly is the "on-course entertainment"? Will Jasmine be involved?:rolleyes1

As you can see I'm full of questions.:confused3

RodBelding
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Well I haven't been on the disboards for many months, but when I had some questions regarding the marathon weekend, I knew exactly where to go!:cool1:
Add me to the list of Dads who will be there and running in January. All I've done is a 10k last April, but I arranged this trip to land on marathon weekend so I could do a half. I have no intentions of ever doing a full marathon, so this is probably the peak of my running career. My training is going great, but I'm nervous about the logistics of race day. I'll be staying offsite. Will it be possible for me to just get dropped off at a Disney resort and take Transportation to Epcot for the start of the race? I imagine with traffic and road closures it will be difficult for my wife to drop me off close. Also, I read something about photo ops during the race. How does that work? Do people run with cameras? Are there Disney photogs there to take your picture? If so, how do you get the picture? If Disney is taking the pix, could they link it to my photopass? And what exactly is the "on-course entertainment"? Will Jasmine be involved?:rolleyes1

As you can see I'm full of questions.:confused3
Hey Chris! Good stuff. Let me see if I can help;

You could probably get a ride to one of the Disney resorts and get transportation from there (they don't ask for any room cards or anything for the busses). The traffic is busy, but not too bad if you stay away from Epcot, which is where the race will start. You could get dropped off at the Contemporary and take the monorail there also.

There are a lot of characters and the like out during the race, and often times there are very rare characters out to boot. You can get pics taken with them with your own camera, if you want to run with it. There aren't photopass people out (that I've seen).

I don't remember Jasmine adding to the entertainment, but she might be there! :rotfl: It's mostly high-school bands playing, trampoline acrobats and stuff like that along the course to watch.

I'll be doing the half as well (going Goofy this year) if you want to meet up before/during the race. :thumbsup2

IamTrike
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey Chris! Good stuff. Let me see if I can help;

You could probably get a ride to one of the Disney resorts and get transportation from there (they don't ask for any room cards or anything for the busses). The traffic is busy, but not too bad if you stay away from Epcot, which is where the race will start. You could get dropped off at the Contemporary and take the monorail there also.

There are a lot of characters and the like out during the race, and often times there are very rare characters out to boot. You can get pics taken with them with your own camera, if you want to run with it. There aren't photopass people out (that I've seen).

I don't remember Jasmine adding to the entertainment, but she might be there! :rotfl: It's mostly high-school bands playing, trampoline acrobats and stuff like that along the course to watch.

I'll be doing the half as well (going Goofy this year) if you want to meet up before/during the race. :thumbsup2

Paul is pretty much spot on. There usually are photographers along the course. They aren't typical photopass photographers though, they are from an outside vendor. If you're getting a photopass CD the race pics aren't on it, they are the race photographers website and you have to buy them on an individual picture basis. I think they take your castle photo, your finish photo and are around at other spots on the course. Last year I had them take my picture with Phineas and Ferb, but they lost that picture.

Goofy + 3
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Ryan & Paul-
Thanks for the responses. I definitely won't be carrying a camera with me. My pockets will be jammed up with gels and tissues (I get snotty when I run for some reason). I don't want the added burden of carrying a camera or even a phone for 13 miles. So meeting up with anyone would be a challenge. I'd gladly run with either one of you, but I have a feeling my pace would be quite a bit behind yours. I like the idea of being dropped off at the Contemporary and taking the monorail in. I guess I'll just follow the crowd at that point. What time do you think I would need to get to the Contemporary in order to make it comfortably to the start?

IamTrike
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Ryan & Paul-
Thanks for the responses. I definitely won't be carrying a camera with me. My pockets will be jammed up with gels and tissues (I get snotty when I run for some reason). I don't want the added burden of carrying a camera or even a phone for 13 miles. So meeting up with anyone would be a challenge. I'd gladly run with either one of you, but I have a feeling my pace would be quite a bit behind yours. I like the idea of being dropped off at the Contemporary and taking the monorail in. I guess I'll just follow the crowd at that point. What time do you think I would need to get to the Contemporary in order to make it comfortably to the start?

I stayed at the Contemporary and I think I caught a monorail at about 3:30 or 3:45 I had plenty of time to stand around and use the porta potties before they started herding us out to the corrals. I'll be running the half with DW and here pace is somewhere between 11 and 12 mms. I'd be up for a pre-race meet. That's probably the easiest time to do it.

RodBelding
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Ryan & Paul-

I stayed at the Contemporary and I think I caught a monorail at about 3:30 or 3:45 I had plenty of time to stand around and use the porta potties before they started herding us out to the corrals. I'll be running the half with DW and here pace is somewhere between 11 and 12 mms. I'd be up for a pre-race meet. That's probably the easiest time to do it.

I also left the contemporary at 3:45 last year, and got their with plenty of time to spare. I'm going to walk/jog the half and take a bunch of pictures, with the hopes of keeping my legs fresh enough to get through 26.2 the next day... I am also up for a pre-run meet. That would rock.

Goofy + 3
11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I also left the contemporary at 3:45 last year, and got their with plenty of time to spare. I'm going to walk/jog the half and take a bunch of pictures, with the hopes of keeping my legs fresh enough to get through 26.2 the next day... I am also up for a pre-run meet. That would rock.

Wait a second... Does that mean both you and Ryan are running both races? That's downright...Goofy! I'm supposed to run 11 miles on Saturday. Maybe I'll try that carrying a camera just to see how annoying/cumbersome it is. My pace would be in between you guys' if I actually wanted to run the whole thing. But the more I hear about the overall atmosphere, I may want to slow down and enjoy the scenery and get a few pics. On one hand I think it's a shame to train as hard as I have been and not run, but then again I may regret not taking advantage of the photo ops. I'm up for a meet. We can coordinate as the date draws closer. I almost certainly won't have my phone on race day so that would make it difficult to meet but we could try. Most of the dads meet at ball games or restaurants-- slackers... It would be nice to meet at something active.

IamTrike
11-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Wait a second... Does that mean both you and Ryan are running both races? That's downright...Goofy! I'm supposed to run 11 miles on Saturday. Maybe I'll try that carrying a camera just to see how annoying/cumbersome it is. My pace would be in between you guys' if I actually wanted to run the whole thing. But the more I hear about the overall atmosphere, I may want to slow down and enjoy the scenery and get a few pics. On one hand I think it's a shame to train as hard as I have been and not run, but then again I may regret not taking advantage of the photo ops. I'm up for a meet. We can coordinate as the date draws closer. I almost certainly won't have my phone on race day so that would make it difficult to meet but we could try. Most of the dads meet at ball games or restaurants-- slackers... It would be nice to meet at something active.

Yup Paul and I are both Goofy. As far as I know its the first time for both of us. The half last year was my first half so I pushed it. I had trained and wanted to see what I could do. I think I averaged right a 9mm. The only time I really stopped was to get my picture with Phineas and Ferb. (of course the photo people lost that pic :headache:). This year it's much more about taking time and enjoying stuff. I can totally see wanting to push yourself and try for a PR. The course is really flat. Just beware it can be really crowded early on.

Goofy + 3
12-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Had to see the sports medicine doc yesterday. On 12/4, I did my 12.5 mile run and could barely make it home. At about the 8 or 9 mile mark, both feet were killing me and I had to walk the last mile or so. Couldn't run at all that week and could hardly walk across the floor. It all feels better, but after running for the Doc and Phys Therapist yesterday they say I'm landing on my heel and using a lot of the outside of my foot which is exactly where the pain was. Long story short- I'm fine for the race but need to concentrate on landing on my mid-foot more. Here's my schedule by the way:

Jan 6 AK
Jan 7 EP & dinner at Rose & Crown or Coral Reef
Jan 8 MK Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
Jan 9 HS
Jan 10 MK Breakfast at Chef Mickey's

IamTrike
12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Had to see the sports medicine doc yesterday. On 12/4, I did my 12.5 mile run and could barely make it home. At about the 8 or 9 mile mark, both feet were killing me and I had to walk the last mile or so. Couldn't run at all that week and could hardly walk across the floor. It all feels better, but after running for the Doc and Phys Therapist yesterday they say I'm landing on my heel and using a lot of the outside of my foot which is exactly where the pain was. Long story short- I'm fine for the race but need to concentrate on landing on my mid-foot more. Here's my schedule by the way:

Jan 6 AK
Jan 7 EP & dinner at Rose & Crown or Coral Reef
Jan 8 MK Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
Jan 9 HS
Jan 10 MK Breakfast at Chef Mickey's

Was that you last really long run before the race? It's always a bummer to feel injured before a race. I'm glad the Doc cleared you to run. I don't have meals planned yet. We'll be there the 6th through the 9th and will have park hoppers. We're doing this trip on the cheap so I think most of our meals will be qs.

cj9200
12-15-2011, 10:59 PM
DD will do her last long run this weekend. Lacrosse practice has kept her from focusing on running. Well, she does run a lot during practice. Decided she will have a doctor's appointment Friday and we will leave Thursday after school. Come back to Miami on Sunday. Don't know where we will stay Thursday night but we will be at CBR on Friday and BCV on Saturday. No meal plans. Mostly grab and go stuff.

Goofy + 3
12-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Was that you last really long run before the race? It's always a bummer to feel injured before a race. I'm glad the Doc cleared you to run. I don't have meals planned yet. We'll be there the 6th through the 9th and will have park hoppers. We're doing this trip on the cheap so I think most of our meals will be qs.

I'm supposed to have another long run tomorrow (14 miles). The doc doesn't want me to do that- and I won't. Although the feet feel fine, I'm now battling a little cold. No big deal- I'd just like to get in a 10-miler one more time before the race. Maybe next weekend. If not, I'll still be ok. I've done enough work for this that the race shouldn't be a problem. Also, I decided to take a stop-and-smell-the-roses approach and just enjoy the scenery. Definitely won't be running for a good time. I'll send a PM with my cell number to the guys who will be at WDW when I'm there. If we happen to be at the same park on the same day, maybe we can meet up for a photo. If not, there's always next year.

cj9200
12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Include me on the PM. Maybe we can get together for a celebratory beverage.

Goofy + 3
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Include me on the PM. Maybe we can get together for a celebratory beverage.

Definitely. For the honor of being Dis Dad #400, I was supposed to buy someone a tasty bevearge. I still haven't made good on that so you may be the lucky recipient.

AJRitz
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
A heads up for anyone who was planning ahead for the 2012 Wine & Dine Half Marathon:
runDisney announced a new race today, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-miler, which is being held on September 29, 2012 (which used to be the Wine & Dine weekend) and will run through Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's scheduled to be a nighttime race, like the Wine & Dine.

The Wine & Dine Half is being moved to November 9-10, 2012.

RodBelding
12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
A heads up for anyone who was planning ahead for the 2012 Wine & Dine Half Marathon:
runDisney announced a new race today, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-miler, which is being held on September 29, 2012 (which used to be the Wine & Dine weekend) and will run through Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's scheduled to be a nighttime race, like the Wine & Dine.

The Wine & Dine Half is being moved to November 9-10, 2012.

Saw this. Bummed that they switched the W&D (after having already announced those days in other rundisney material), as we're going down that weekend, mainly so DW could run the W&D half... Not sure how she'll feel about switching to a 10K (and she hates ToT!)... Someone else is going to need to break the news to her for me...

cj9200
12-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Decided to take Crash, the half marathon running, pirate princess out of school Friday. Will probably leave Thursday after school gets out. Friday morning registering and basically relax the rest of the day. We are staying at CBR that night and BCV on Saturday. Have no plans for dinner on Friday. What is everyone else doing? Need suggestions.

AJRitz
12-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Saw this. Bummed that they switched the W&D (after having already announced those days in other rundisney material), as we're going down that weekend, mainly so DW could run the W&D half... Not sure how she'll feel about switching to a 10K (and she hates ToT!)... Someone else is going to need to break the news to her for me...

Can you push your trip back to November?

RodBelding
12-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Can you push your trip back to November?

Debating it... Busier time then, and may not get the same room we have, but it's a possibility...

katoot
12-22-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm not a runner, or anything even close to that.

However, since I'm trying to plan a trip to America around that time (actually, a couple weeks later), and I want to get in shape, I'm considering possibly doing the wine & dine half....possibly...

Is it reasonable to think that someone who has never run farther than a mile at any given time to run a half with less than a year of training? And a smoker, at that? (although, my new years resolution will be to quit...and I hope it sticks)

I know next to nothing about health or working out.

RodBelding
12-22-2011, 09:09 AM

However, since I'm trying to plan a trip to America around that time (actually, a couple weeks later), and I want to get in shape, I'm considering possibly doing the wine & dine half....possibly...

Is it reasonable to think that someone who has never run farther than a mile at any given time to run a half with less than a year of training? And a smoker, at that? (although, my new years resolution will be to quit...and I hope it sticks)

It's very reasonable to think that you could run a half in a year, imo. That being said, you would need to be very smart about taking it slow at first, and getting a good base of conditioning under your belt, but if you were running 3 days a week, roughly 3 miles each day by the summer, I think you would be able to train and run a half, for sure. I have seen some friends and family go from non-runners to half marathon and full marathon finishers in a years time or so.

Keep us updated on your decision! I'll be pulling for you! :thumbsup2

Goofy + 3
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM

I hated running and rarely if ever ran over a mile in my life. But I can say it is definitely possible to be ready for a half. I only started running this year to do a 10k but enjoyed it so much that I'll do the half in a couple weeks. If you get on an actual program and stick to it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you improve.

IamTrike
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
It's very reasonable to think that you could run a half in a year, imo. That being said, you would need to be very smart about taking it slow at first, and getting a good base of conditioning under your belt, but if you were running 3 days a week, roughly 3 miles each day by the summer, I think you would be able to train and run a half, for sure. I have seen some friends and family go from non-runners to half marathon and full marathon finishers in a years time or so.

Keep us updated on your decision! I'll be pulling for you! :thumbsup2

I had not really ever run before when I decided to do the January 2011 half marathon. I made the decision in August/September and went from non runner to finishing the race with about 4 months of training. It is absolutely possible to do this. There are three things you need.

1. Good Shoes. If at all possible get fitted by someone that can look at your stride and get you into the right type of shoes. This is really important, do not skimp on this.

2. A training plan. I would start with a couch to 5k plan. There are a lot of them anything that gives you a structure to follow is good. It's important as increasing milage too fast or increasing your pace too much are both good ways to injure yourself. Staying healthy is the best way to ensure you can train properly. After you finish the couch to 5k find a half marathon training program. If you are a novice Galloway's interval method is a great way to ease into endurance running ( and make sure you make it through training un injured.)

3. You'll need a place to run. Whether its a treadmill in a gym or a trail or greenway you need a space to run. Particularly as you get to your long runs you may find that you want to run outside. Some people have no issues with running on a treadmill though.

Good luck.

cj9200
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
DD did her long run today. 10+ miles. She survived to run another day.

IamTrike
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Good for crash the running pirate princess. 10 miles is a long way.

RodBelding
12-22-2011, 06:43 PM

after a 10 mile training run, she'll have no problem with 13.1. Great job by her! :cool1:

Goofy + 3
12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Rookie question here. I read in some of the paperwork that after the finish line you run through the chute and pick up your bag. Does this refer to the goody bag or is there a bag check? If there's a bag check, how does that work? Would I bring a bag or do they supply it? I would just like to have a way to stash my cell phone until the race is over.

RodBelding
12-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Rookie question here. I read in some of the paperwork that after the finish line you run through the chute and pick up your bag. Does this refer to the goody bag or is there a bag check? If there's a bag check, how does that work? Would I bring a bag or do they supply it? I would just like to have a way to stash my cell phone until the race is over.

It's a bag check. You will get your goody bag at the expo, and the actually bag used to hold all the goodies will then become your bag to check at the race. You'll attach a sticky of your number (given to you in the goody bag) to the actual bag and hand it to them before the race at the meet area in the Epcot parking lot. Then after you pick it up by showing them your number. You can store cell phone, clothes, etc. as long as it fits in the bag.

IamTrike
12-29-2011, 05:08 PM

Paul answered your question perfectly Chris. Are you going to have family trying to watch you at the race? If you are you might want to keep your phone so that you can let them know where you are. i've had a poor experience with their tools for letting you know where runners are.

Goofy + 3
12-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Paul answered your question perfectly Chris. Are you going to have family trying to watch you at the race? If you are you might want to keep your phone so that you can let them know where you are. i've had a poor experience with their tools for letting you know where runners are.

I was going to use the runner tracking thing- if it doesn't work that's ok. My wife knows when to expect me at the different mile markers. DW will try to see me but I'm not sure where. The race guide has a couple plans as to how to see the race. Two plans have 3 stops, one has 4. I already plan on running with the camera, and a phone might be pushing it. But now that I know about the bag check, coordinating a pre or post race meet will be much easier.

RodBelding
12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I was going to use the runner tracking thing- if it doesn't work that's ok. My wife knows when to expect me at the different mile markers. DW will try to see me but I'm not sure where. The race guide has a couple plans as to how to see the race. Two plans have 3 stops, one has 4. I already plan on running with the camera, and a phone might be pushing it. But now that I know about the bag check, coordinating a pre or post race meet will be much easier.

I have found that it's easier for you to look for her during the race. DW tells me where she'll be waiting, and I look out for her and run over to say hi quickly. Just a thought.

Goofy + 3
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
What's the official name of the building where we pick up our race packets? I'm looking at the map of the sports complex and don't see a building with a familiar sounding name..

Goofy + 3
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Let's move the conversation here instead of PMs. Easier to read.

I need to ammend my earlier comment that I expect to finish around 8:00. I just realized that I may be starting as late as 6:17 which may have me finishing just in time for rope drop at Epcot.:scared1: When I registered, I meant to say that I would finish in 2:45 (total guess). I accidentally typed 1:45 but obviously couldn't put in a proof of time to justify that. Any idea what corral I'll be started in?

cj9200
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I have found that it's easier for you to look for her during the race. DW tells me where she'll be waiting, and I look out for her and run over to say hi quickly. Just a thought.

Where is she going to be? I am thinking two stops, the MK on Main Street and then head to the finish line. We will probably go to EPCOT after the race and check in at BCV. Maybe a lunch at Beaches and Cream.

IamTrike
01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Let's move the conversation here instead of PMs. Easier to read.

I need to ammend my earlier comment that I expect to finish around 8:00. I just realized that I may be starting as late as 6:17 which may have me finishing just in time for rope drop at Epcot.:scared1: When I registered, I meant to say that I would finish in 2:45 (total guess). I accidentally typed 1:45 but obviously couldn't put in a proof of time to justify that. Any idea what corral I'll be started in?

What is your bib number? It's on the waiver you need to print out and bring to the expo. I think that you can use the following equation to estimate your corral for the half. ((bib number)-30,000)/3000 = corral number. 1 = a, 2=b,3=c...etc

I'm not sure about my half finish time. I am guessing it will be between 2:30 and 2:50. I'll probably have an easier time meeting before the race. After the race I'm heading to POR for an ice bath and then I don't know which park(s) I'll be hitting that day.

cj9200
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
DD's bib is 39497 but that was before she got a qualifying 10K time. According to others she will be moved into 1 or 2, probably 2.

Goofy + 3
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Bib number is 51195 so using your formula that would be corral 7.

RodBelding
01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
What is your bib number? It's on the waiver you need to print out and bring to the expo. I think that you can use the following equation to estimate your corral for the half. ((bib number)-30,000)/3000 = corral number. 1 = a, 2=b,3=c...etc

I'm not sure about my half finish time. I am guessing it will be between 2:30 and 2:50. I'll probably have an easier time meeting before the race. After the race I'm heading to POR for an ice bath and then I don't know which park(s) I'll be hitting that day.

Pre-race is best for me too. Afterwards I'll be rushing over to AK to meet up with the family. :thumbsup2

cj9200
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Here are a few pics from the half.

Pre-race partying
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff148/cj9200/Misc/Disney%20Half/IMG_3164.jpg

The Pirate Princess in her pre-race warm ups.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff148/cj9200/Misc/Disney%20Half/IMG_3166.jpg

Chris, Paul and me. Enjoyed meeting you guys. Sorry I missed Ryan and Matt. Maybe photoshop?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff148/cj9200/Misc/Disney%20Half/IMG_3172.jpg

Three Athletes getting ready to run. I'm cold just looking at that picture.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff148/cj9200/Misc/Disney%20Half/IMG_3173.jpg

Interested in seeing if you guys have any pics.

IamTrike
01-10-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry I missed you guys on the half morning. I was on a 3:30 bus from POR but it took over an hour to get to Epcot. I did get to talk with Paul for a couple or minutes before the full.
I have a couple pics but it'll be this evening before I can upload them.

Goofy + 3
01-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Well look at that.. The first picture of me to ever make it on to the Disboards. I've got some pics of the run but I've got a lot of catching up to do at work. It'll be a while before I can post any.

Goofy + 3
01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Wow. I just looked up CJ's daughter's race results. She CRUSHED me. She beat me by 48 minutes! I want a rematch. Granted, I stood in lines and stopped for many photos, but 48 minutes is a pretty big gap. I've got a year to fix my form (my feet were killing me by mile 8) so maybe next time I can make it closer. Congrats to her and the Goofy guys. The Wine & Dine half looks like fun. Maybe I'll make a long drive to do that.

cj9200
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow. I just looked up CJ's daughter's race results. She CRUSHED me. She beat me by 48 minutes! I want a rematch. Granted, I stood in lines and stopped for many photos, but 48 minutes is a pretty big gap. I've got a year to fix my form (my feet were killing me by mile 8) so maybe next time I can make it closer. Congrats to her and the Goofy guys. The Wine & Dine half looks like fun. Maybe I'll make a long drive to do that.

She would be up for a rematch anytime. The half got her hooked. You would also need to add in all the time you spent standing in lines etc. She wanted to beat a friend that had a 2:30 time the year before and she did not stop for anything.

Getting water seemed to be her biggest hurdle. She only got a little at the stops. Needs to work on her drinking and running technique.

Chris, great meeting you and congratulations on the run.