PDA

View Full Version : Eye drops need to be kept cool

joanne74
09-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

I hope nobody minds me posting a question on here because I'm not disabled. :flower3:

I had stitches removed from my eye yesterday and have been given eye drops that need to be kept in the fridge. We fly with VA in 2 1/2 weeks time and I'll probably still be taking these drops.

So my problem is how to keep my drops cool on our long journey from London to Florida and then while we're there. We're flying with VA - do they have any facilities to keep medication cool on board?

We'll then be staying on site at ASMo. I heard that they now have fridges in the rooms as standard but if not can I ask for one FOC because I need it for medication?

My last problem is keep them cool while in the parks. I asked this question on the UK planning board and someone had a feeling that it's possible to leave medication at the First Aid room. Is this right?

I'm hoping my consultant will take me off these drops at my check up in 2 weeks time or at least reduce them from 4 to 2 times a day.

TIA for any help you can offer me.

jmartinez1895
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
To fly you might need to look into the gel packs that are made for people with diabetes to keep there insulin cold. ( Others may have better ideas, but for a long flight and with TSA rules I'm not really sure). As for your room you should call now and tell them you have medication that needs to be cold. You should also ask again when you check in to make sure they have it, if not they will get it for you. If they do not come standard in the room you will get one FOC, but the ones they supply for medcial are often ver ysmall, but if it is just for eye drops you should be fine. At the parks you can take it to first aid and tell htem it needs to be kept in the fridge. They will have you fill out a small form and they will put them in a bag ( like a ziplock) with your info on it. Just be sure to get them on your way out.

happyleesh
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

I hope nobody minds me posting a question on here because I'm not disabled. :flower3:

I had stitches removed from my eye yesterday and have been given eye drops that need to be kept in the fridge. We fly with VA in 2 1/2 weeks time and I'll probably still be taking these drops.

So my problem is how to keep my drops cool on our long journey from London to Florida and then while we're there. We're flying with VA - do they have any facilities to keep medication cool on board?

We'll then be staying on site at ASMo. I heard that they now have fridges in the rooms as standard but if not can I ask for one FOC because I need it for medication?

My last problem is keep them cool while in the parks. I asked this question on the UK planning board and someone had a feeling that it's possible to leave medication at the First Aid room. Is this right?

I'm hoping my consultant will take me off these drops at my check up in 2 weeks time or at least reduce them from 4 to 2 times a day.

TIA for any help you can offer me.

First, I am a pharmacy tech and I know that some drops HAVE to be refrigerated while some just last longer in the fridge but are safe outside the fridge for a shorter amount of time (6 month life in the fridge, 1 month outside the fridge) so I would first call the pharmacist and ask the specifics of your drops.

Secondly, they sell baby bottle coolers, little (7inchx3inch) mini coolers that are made to keep baby bottles cold all day that would probably be perfect for your drops, you put them in the freezer/fridge all night and then just keep the cooler in your bag all day. They are like $5-7 at walmart, target, etc. Hope this helps! :)