PDA

View Full Version : HHN reviews (possible spoilers)

phamton
09-22-2011, 01:36 AM
I only went to 2 houses for employee preview tonight plus the Bill and Ted show:

The In Between was OK. Very much like the houses in past years with the psychedelic lights, spinning tunnel, mirrors, etc. You wear 3-d type glasses in the house that they provide. It didn't seem 3-D to me but maybe made the black lighting better.

Nevermore was freakin awesome to me. I loved the whole thing but I am a Poe fan. Lots of ravens and I don't mean Macraven either. These ravens were pretty darn scary. I just loved everything about this house. When I walked through, there was a tv camera crew filming right when I got a good scare from the Tell-tale Heart scene. I'm not sure if it was a commercial filming or one of the local tv stations.

Bill and Ted were most excellent, as usual. References to Bin Laden, Smurfs, and Charlie Sheen, and several movies like True Grit, Super 8, and others. Bill danced beside me in the aisles and patted me on the head. I felt so special!

xApril
09-22-2011, 02:00 AM
I felt the In-Between was just okay. I didn't wear the glasses because it was my first house and I wanted to be sure where I was going. :p I felt that there were some cool effects in the house but other than that, the costumes were a bit repetitive and I just didn't get that many scares, but there was a mega conga line since that was the first one almost everyone went to.

I probably like H.R. Bloodengutz the most. It was a fun house and definitely the comedy one.

I felt that the Thing was like watching the movie or something. I didn't feel as if they were aiming to scare us half the time, but maybe it's just the time I walked through that I missed some things?

Winter's Night began pretty scary but kind of faltered halfway through. There were parts where no one was scaring anyone...

Nightingales was probably the scariest for me. There was a lot of screaming from me. The water also caught me off guard.

We missed Saws 'n Steam, Nevermore, and Forsaken but will definitely be trying them the next time we go.

Bill and Ted was pretty good this year. :) Everyone I was with pretty much agreed it was better than last year's.

I also enjoyed all the scarezones, although some were so-so on scares.

I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents in. :)

Metro West
09-22-2011, 06:32 AM
I'll be going tomorrow night...as long as I don't have to swim home. Lots of rain coming.

phamton
09-22-2011, 06:49 AM
I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents in. :) No I'm glad you did. I started this thread to get everyone's reviews. I wish I had gone to more houses but I was afraid I'd miss B&T. Last year during HHN preview night, I saw all of the houses and missed B&T so this year, I made it a priority to get to their show. I agree that this year was much better than last year's B&T show.

I'll try to get around to the other houses on another night.

Marquibiri
09-22-2011, 07:42 AM
I'll be going tomorrow night...as long as I don't have to swim home. Lots of rain coming.

What! really... major bummer!!!!

Marquibiri :confused:

Jason71
09-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks to some friends and the ADA, managed to see all the houses and B&T during preview night. Here are some first thoughts, roughly in the order I enjoyed the houses.

• Winters Night: the cold/snow effects work very well here, great cast, top notch set design with a nice creepy Victorian atmosphere (kind of a “grown-up Haunted Mansion” feel). I’m surprised, but my favorite for house of the year.
• Saws & Steam: Best Jaws house ever. Lot of scares from actors clearly enjoying their job, some very cool new effects.
• Nevermore: A lot of people seemed to consider this their favorite, hard to disagree. Clever scenes, new design ideas, just an amazing house. The tents have come a long way. Speaking of which…
• The In-Between: Biggest surprise of the night. Loved it, and I’m not a fan of 3D houses. The tunnel and the “floorless room” show how you can use 3D to make something unique and truly disorienting.
• Nightengales: An intense house. Probably the most scares of the night. Still not entirely sure how the vampire nurses fit in, hoping there’s a queue video to explain a little more back story.
• H.R. Bludengutz: Started off a bit slow for me, but by the time you get to the obscure holidays this house becomes inspired. Relies a little too heavily on TVs to set up each room, the sound was too low to really follow the story, but the escalating craziness is a lot of fun.
• The Forsaken: I was really impressed with the sets, and the hurricane effect at the end is great. However, most of my group were not fans of this one. Two biggest complaints: lack of a coherent story (queue video may help this) and the glowing green eyes on the pirates give them away before they can scare anyone. Still, I’m anxious to give this one another go-round.
• The Thing: Saw Winters Night first, so the cold/snow effect didn’t impress me like it might have otherwise. Ditto the gunfire, had just come from the war zone of Nightengales. Well-done, but nothing I haven’t seen before, I remember better creatures in the last Thing house. Could have used more actors as well, but it was late. Nowhere near the bottom 10 houses ever or anything like that, just not overly impressive in a year with three or four new classics.

Bill & Ted was great, possibly the best since 2006. Back to basics, which the show needed. I was with a friend who knows the new writer, word is legal “cut a lot.” Legal is also the reason the show features a lot more real life celebrities rather than characters. Still, a ton of laughs (check out the fake ads in the preshow), and some interesting mash-ups in the dance numbers. Missed Death Drums, but the chatter was very positive.

Loved Acid Rain projections, Canyon of Dark Souls worked better than I could've expected, the bat/bird one was quite good as well. Missed 7 because of the rain, didn't make it back in time, but love those stages. Only disappointing scare zone for me was Lady Luck--felt like a photo op where you couldn't actually take photos.

Overall, a great year. Looking forward to returning almost every night I can with FFP.

macraven
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/25.gif

Metro West
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
This thread is officially stuck! :thumbsup2

Nicole786
09-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the first reports! Never been to HHN, going for the first time Oct 2nd, can't wait!

the Dark Marauder
09-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Skipped B&T, as I heard it was mediocre at best. I was able to see all 8 houses, plus all 6 scarezones by 1015pm and never had to wait more than 20 mins for a house! I used the "go to the right (counterclockwise)" method

In Between: 3D house with the spinning tunnel. Very fun and psychedelic. Loved the effects and had fun with this.

Nevermore: Beautiful set design. Mediocre scares.

Saws & Steam: Best Jaws queue house ever. Great design, lots of scares. The chainsaw guy at the end had perfect timing and scared my friend to bits!

Holidays of Horror: Great setup and design. Creepy and entertaining, but weak in scares.

Winter's Night: Cool house (literally, the AC was cold). Great design, mediocre scares.

Nightingale (WW1). Weak scares. Plenty of water effects. Underwhelming.

The Thing: Two good scares at the end, but otherwise only average. The 2007 version was far better.

Forsaken: I was like :confused3 the whole time. Almost no scares and nothing made sense whatsoever.

------------------
Scarezones: I can't review them as they all just felt horribly. weak to me.

TheRealDrDisney
09-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Only disappointing scare zone for me was Lady Luck--felt like a photo op where you couldn't actually take photos.

I was wondering why you couldn't take photos. Seems like in years past that photos were OK in the scare zones - is this one different?

Thanks!

donaldduck352
09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Nevermore was freakin awesome to me. I loved the whole thing but I am a Poe fan. Lots of ravens and I don't mean Macraven either. These ravens were pretty darn scary. I just loved everything about this house. When I walked through, there was a tv camera crew filming right when I got a good scare from the Tell-tale Heart scene. I'm not sure if it was a commercial filming or one of the local tv stations.

Im a huge Edgar Allen Poe fan myself since I could read.Have read all his work.Poems,short storys and qoutes and love 'em all.

Question,any hint of The Masque of the Red Death in the house??One of my favs.

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

macraven
09-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Poe is my hero.

phamton
09-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Im a huge Edgar Allen Poe fan myself since I could read.Have read all his work.Poems,short storys and qoutes and love 'em all.

I don't specifically remember it but could have very well been in the house and was too obscure for me to get it. There was a lot to take in on this house and feel it will get better the more times you go (kind of like that freaky Scary (Fairy) Tales house--was that last year or a few years back?) Scary Tales got better and you saw more stories the more often you went.

RAPstar
09-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Universal stated in one of their press releases that there are references to Masque in the house.

Check out this video and you may see one of the references :thumbsup2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldH6kNXG3w&feature=player_embedded

Jason71
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I was wondering why you couldn't take photos. Seems like in years past that photos were OK in the scare zones - is this one different?

Thanks!

Guess you could, but when I walked through, not really set up for it. Unlike, say, last year, or the year the icons lined Rodeo Drive. Cramped space, a lot of characters up on the balconies. Will take another look tonight.

Jason71
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Never a huge Poe fan, but one room in particular I assumed was the Masque. They seemed to stick the best-known works (Raven, Pit & Pendulum), so I assume that is what the red grim reaper-like figure is.

TheRealDrDisney
09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Guess you could, but when I walked through, not really set up for it. Unlike, say, last year, or the year the icons lined Rodeo Drive. Cramped space, a lot of characters up on the balconies. Will take another look tonight.

I see. Yes, I got some great pix last year - very nice setup.

Look forward to reading more from you - thanks!

BrinkofSunshine
09-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Only got to do two houses preview night because my friends and I were all stuck doing an event until 11 :( Anyway, we went to Holidays of Horror and The Thing. I thought Holidays was fun, and The Thing had some better scares. If this is the mediocre side of this year's HHN then I'm very excited to see the rest of it! The Acid Assault projections were awesome, but no scareactors? Will they add them?

Metro West
09-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Here's my mini trip report from tonight:

I arrived at the Studios around 4:20pm which is late for me. I had time to get a drink but not to eat since food service ends at 4:30pm. I walked around a bit and then headed for the holding area. I found a nice covered spot (in case it rained) and settled in for the wait. I spotted a guy walking around in a t-shirt that looked kinda familiar...then when I saw the name "Marquibiri" on the back, I realized it was Marco from Panama. I introduced myself while he was snapping a few pictures. We chatted a bit and then moved into position as the barriers were being taken down so we could head into the park and to the houses.

We hit Winter's Night first (I'll give my thoughts on each house later) and then headed to The Thing. Next came H.R. Bloodengutz and finally Saws 'n Steam. There was a problem with Marco's Rush of Fear Pass w/Express so I insisted we head to Guest Services so he could find out what the problem was. We stopped at Lost & Found and I introduced him to Phamton. He went to GS and I stayed and chatted with Phamton a while. After Marco came back out...the rains came! I was stuck in the covered area beside the restrooms for 30-45 minutes or so waiting for it to stop. After about 20 minutes, Marco realized he only two nights to see everything so he put on his poncho and headed out alone.

Finally...the rains stopped and I decided to continue on. My first stop was The Forsaken, then The In Between and Nevermore. It sprinkled a little but the really heavy rains moved on and it was a pretty nice evening. My last house of the evening was Nightingales. I hit the Universal Studios store on my way out for my yearly t-shirt with the house logos on the back and the glass shooter. As I exited, I was asked to complete a survey on the evening which took about 10 minutes then I headed to the car and home.

Now...for my thoughts on the houses:

The Forsaken: I liked this one...nice themeing and pretty decent scares. I would give this a 7 out of 10.

The In Between: This is the 3-D house that's more of a funhouse than a haunted house. It was OK but nothing terrific. This one gets a 6 out of 10.

Nevermore...The Madness of Poe: Great house with lots of themeing. Lots of scares and many references to his books. I would give this an 8 out of 10.

Saws 'n Steam...Enter the Machine: Good house but hot. Do this one after nightfall. The line was backed up pretty early but overall a good house. This one gets a 7 out of 10.

H.R. Bloodengutz...Holidays of Horror: I really enjoyed this house...funny scareactors but again hot. Another one to do after it's dark. This one rates an 8 out of 10.

The Thing: I'm not a huge fan of the film but the house was pretty decent. The scares started off pretty good but faded over the course of the house. I would give this one a 7 out of 10.

Nightingales...Blood Prey: I wasn't impressed with this one. The scares were mediocre at best but the themeing was good. This one rates a 6 out of 10.

Winter's Night...The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery: This was my favorite by far and is also the Stay & Scream early entry house this year. The themeing was great and the scares were constant throughout. This one rates a 9 out of 10.

I didn't see a lot of the scare zones since the rains drove all the scareactors indoors but Canyon of Dark Souls was pretty good...from what I saw of it. Nightmaze was weird and not really scary but hopefully it will be fully staffed. I did catch the end of the Death Drums show which looks really good. I will definitely catch the whole show when I venture over again next weekend.

Jason71
09-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Yes--quoting myself. You can try to get pictures with "scary" Lady Lucks at ground level, but some seem more cooperative than others. But the lighting is bad, and it's still cramped. Very little theming. Overall, kind of a bust, definitely the weakest scare zone.

The ladies of 7 seem much more open to being photographed--tho often as a ruse to let their cohorts sneak up behind you! ;)

Only got to do two houses preview night because my friends and I were all stuck doing an event until 11 :( ... The Acid Assault projections were awesome, but no scareactors? Will they add them?

There were scareactors Wednesday night. It POURED rain early on last night, and the event ended at midnight (so they would have been in by 11:30 anyway), so I'm not sure if they were out at all, but they are part of the zone.

PammyK
09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Went last night and arrived just in time for the massive electrical storm so I ended up stuck in the Boulangerie for a while before hitting the houses.

Of those I saw, Winter's Night was definitely my favorite. Had some good scares in there and I loved one bit that seemed to me to be an homage to the Weeping Angels - man do those things creep me out!

Nightengales was great as far as design and I liked some of the technical elements such as the aerial work, but overall I didn't find the banshee nurse vampire things all that frightening.

HR Bloodengutz was cool and I think one that will grow on me more and more over time.

The Thing was also just okay for me as far as scares although the overall design of the house was pretty nifty.

Saws N Steam was probably my 2nd favorite and I'm looking forward to going through again when it maybe isn't so wall-to-wall and when I'm not so tired (we went through at around 11:40pm).

I didn't find the scare zones particularly frightening but that may have been due to complications from the weather. I did think the projection work on the crumbling facades was extremely well done.

We did see Bill & Ted and while the opening was incredibly promising, after the first 5 minutes it needed to end. It just wasn't that funny or entertaining. It did pick up when Charlie arrived but not enough make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the show. Kudos to the performers though, they did the best they could with the mediocre material they were given.

I'm looking forward to checking out the remaining 3 houses, maybe tonight or if not, then during the week.

As far as an overall impression, I thought they relied too much on obvious looking prosthetics for the scareactors instead of letting the scareactors actually create the scares using their body language and facial expressions. I'd prefer they use makeup, masks and some prosthetics such as false teeth or scars that still seem real and allow the scareactors to give some real expression and emotion to their characters. Unfortunately, the obviously plastic extensions covering the scareactor's heads/faces or extending from their chins was too patently fake to be scary for me.

xApril
09-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I just want to say that the difference between preview and opening night was quite great.

In-Between is still up in the air for me. I caught it on a cast change when I wore the glasses so I didn't get the full effect with scareactors.

I still like H.R. Bloodengutz about the same.

The Thing has increased in intensity and is definitely a lot more scary than it was before.

Winter's Night is a lot scarier and more fun now.

Nightengales is still one of my favorites for the scares.

Finally got to do Saws 'n Steam and I like it for the most part, but for me it's more fun than scary.

Forsaken was one I'll have to do again. The lady in front of me didn't know where she was going so we had to keep stopping and scareactors had to point her the right way. :\

Nevermore was another scary one for me. The first time we went through, a photographer asked if she could follow us and take our picture throughout the house. She kind of set us up for some scares. Maybe we'll be featured in an ad somewhere! We came back later to do the house again, since the flash had blinded me before. Definitely a fun house packed with scares. :)

Going to be a great year!

Metro West
09-24-2011, 10:31 PM
One of the things I like about HHN and being able to go throughout the month is seeing how the scareactors grow into their parts. :thumbsup2

I'm sure my opinions will change as the event progresses...as it does every year. ;)

Marquibiri
09-24-2011, 11:41 PM

Hey all!!!!! I'm sitting in my room at RPR at the moment, just returned from HHN.. The UTH tour is sooooo worth it... I will add details in my TR...

Here's the answer to your question Donald: YES

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/Marquibiri/HHN21/2011Trip/09242011519.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/Marquibiri/HHN21/2011Trip/09242011518.jpg

and... a short clip....
http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/Marquibiri/HHN21/2011Trip/HHN21vids/?action=view&current=09242011279.mp4
Marquibiri :thumbsup2

Marquibiri
09-25-2011, 01:18 AM
[FONT="Georgia"]Here's my mini trip report from tonight:

I arrived at the Studios around 4:20pm which is late for me. I had time to get a drink but not to eat since food service ends at 4:30pm. I walked around a bit and then headed for the holding area. I found a nice covered spot (in case it rained) and settled in for the wait. I spotted a guy walking around in a t-shirt that looked kinda familiar...then when I saw the name "Marquibiri" on the back, I realized it was Marco from Panama. I introduced myself while he was snapping a few pictures. We chatted a bit and then moved into position as the barriers were being taken down so we could head into the park and to the houses.

We hit Winter's Night first (I'll give my thoughts on each house later) and then headed to The Thing. Next came H.R. Bloodengutz and finally Saws 'n Steam. There was a problem with Marco's Rush of Fear Pass w/Express so I insisted we head to Guest Services so he could find out what the problem was. We stopped at Lost & Found and I introduced him to Phamton. He went to GS and I stayed and chatted with Phamton a while. After Marco came back out...the rains came! I was stuck in the covered area beside the restrooms for 30-45 minutes or so waiting for it to stop. After about 20 minutes, Marco realized he only two nights to see everything so he put on his poncho and headed out alone.

Finally...the rains stopped and I decided to continue on. My first stop was The Forsaken, then The In Between and Nevermore. It sprinkled a little but the really heavy rains moved on and it was a pretty nice evening. My last house of the evening was Nightingales. I hit the Universal Studios store on my way out for my yearly t-shirt with the house logos on the back and the glass shooter. As I exited, I was asked to complete a survey on the evening which took about 10 minutes then I headed to the car and home.

Nicely done Todd! It was so great to meet you! I had no idea you waited it out and then carried on! Excellent. I'll write my TR later, I am tired though... It's 2 am.

Here's my short review of the Houses....

Winter's Night: Loved the house! It was on the UTH tour and so worth it..

Nightingales: Wonderfully designed! Loved the phases of the banshees as the were transforming. Amazing... The trenches, the sound...

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]**** SPOILER ****
Loved the part where the soldier's torso is ripped off and dragged backwards while the bottom half of his body stayed standing with guts hanging out.
The banshee biting into the horse was wicked!
Phase 3 of the banshee... Looks very scary... Keep a close look once you enter the Surgery room... :scared1:

The Thing: Possibly my favorite house. Why? IMHO I think it had the best costumes.. The masks covered the scareactors arms and torso too. Brilliant.

**** SPOILER ****
The two headed disfigured creature rattling right after the pool table scene is completely out of this world. Make sure to catch it at the right time.
There is a scareactor in the room where the creature comes out of the ice block it was hibernating in and his mask was very creepy.

Bloodengutz: Very similar in style to Leave it to Cleaver... and in the same area too. Go when it's dark... To really understand this movie watch the projection while on the queue and everytime you enter a new room, there is a TV where Bloodengutz explain the scene of the next room you will enter... Sometimes it will be hard to follow since the queue is moving but it was fun!

Saws N' Steam: Quite a good house. Queues get incredibly long real quick!

****SPOILER****
There was a torso being torn apart in a machine which was pretty cool.
The body parts in the water were quite nasty..
The machine pressing down on the chunks of human flesh did it for me! :cool1:

Nevermore: If you don't know much about Edgar Allan Poe, you'll be like :confused: but this house was very good. It was on the UTH tour and when I went through it at night I was like this rocks!

****SPOILER****
Many of Poe's work is portrayed in this house... I liked the sheets of paper hanging from the ceiling... Look out for Virginia...

The Forsaken: My second favorite house.. The themeing is so cool. There's a fourth ship that turned against the three others during Christopher Columbus voyage.. and lost the battle and sunk... Now the creatures have risen and are attacking a Spanish fort.

****SPOILER****
I loved the look of rust on hinges and cell doors (actually made of wood)..
The best room is the part that resembles the bowels of the ship, it's tilted and awesome... Also, the open area where the mast of the ship is and the hanged corpses :thumbsup2

The In-between: The worst house for me... I did it a few times and then it was ok... It does have the spinning wheel used in previous years.

Scarezones: Lame... Did like the projection in Acid Assault. Grown Evil was good too.

Overall, from best to worst:

Houses: The Thing, The Forsaken, Nightingales, Nevermore, Winter's Night, Saw's N Steam (All this are very close up top), then Bloodengutz, and In-Between.

Scarezones: Acid Assault, Grown Evil (good). Your Luck Has Run Out, 7, Canyon of Dark Souls (plain average), Nightmaze... possibly the worst scarezone I've seen..

DeathDrums: Good show, held by the Delorean. Scare actors dance while a large scaffold containing many many drums and drummers play. Still only watched about 5 minutes of it. You have to stand there and watch so meh...

Bill and Ted's: Good, as always. They mention movies like Sucker Punch, The Smurfs, Conan, The Green Hornet, Black Swan, Captain America... and other stuff.... Sarah Palin, Glee, Twilight, Britney, Keisha etc...

BigTiggerGuy
09-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Went last night so thought I would post my review. I'll be going back about 6 more times this season so I'll see if this changes.

Houses(ranked from favorite to least):
The Thing- great makeup effects and the most scares I had all night
The Forsaken- the bright green glowing eyes give away the scareactors but the theming alone makes this house great
The In-Between- very trippy, lots of disorienting scenes and some good scares
Winter's Night- again, great theming but our first time through we missed the timing and didn't get a single scare
HR Bloodengutz- great, fun house. Some good scares.
Nightingales- great theming again but be sure to look up. First time through I missed a lot of the scares and then my friend told me to look up during the second trip- much better
Nevermore- love Poe, loved the theming but didn't get too many scares
Saws N' Steam- just like the scarezone last year although the fish tanks with the human body parts were a nice touch

The scarezones still need some work. Was really excited to see the Nightmaze [B] but it's essentially a few black walls on wheels that the scareactors move back and forth. Could be so much bigger and better.
[B]7 was the best scarezone of the night. Lots of scareactors around and they were really into it. The projection effect in Acid Assault is very cool but we only counted 5 scareactors in the entire area. Could be better. The other scarezones all kind of blended together.

It poured rain for about an hour and we got soaked but continued on our way and just splashed in the puddles and hit a few houses again. We all have FF w/express but the longest line I saw all night was 45 min. for Saws N' Steam.
I'll be going back again next Sunday so I'll give an update if the list changes.

All in all, I think it's a good year and I'm sure it will get better and better as they work out the kinks.

Jason71
09-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Nightengales was great as far as design and I liked some of the technical elements such as the aerial work, but overall I didn't find the banshee nurse vampire things all that frightening.

I think you might be onto something here. Given the amazing detail of the set, I wonder if the somewhat "rubber masky" look of the nightingales makes them stand out more, and takes away their scariness. They do seem the weakest part of an otherwise amazing house to me.

W
Winter's Night- again, great theming but our first time through we missed the timing and didn't get a single scare

This is true of Winters Night, and also The Thing. Both seem filled with scares tied to the special light and sound effects, limiting the ability of the scareactors to improvise. It makes for an impressive scare when the effects all work together, but I kind of miss seeing the scareactors pick and choose their marks.

BuckeyeGuy28
09-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I felt so excited about this year's HHN that I felt like I had to come back here and post a review. We went Friday and Saturday so we saw plenty of everything so hopefully I'm a pretty credible source of info:

1.) Nightingales--by far the best house IMO, never failed to disappoint even after three of four trips. I don't get the Nurse/Witch thing but I feel like it works--they're freaky looking. All around, this house has good sound, FANTASTIC set design, and the scares are well-placed--this was the only house this year that I actually felt a little uncomfortable in (in a good way, lol)--I even got a double-scare which led to some pretty good laughs. This is also the only house I've wanted to actually go slowly through and take the incredible detail in--I love this house!

2.) The Thing--second best to me. Like Nightingales, this one has fantastic sets! The only thing it doesn't have is the wild scares that Nightingales did (for me at least, and we went on both a good number of times). Also, this house was so well-done, it actually has me intereseted in seeing the movie, something most HHN movie-houses don't have me doing.

3.) The In-Between--I feel that between my group and fellow posters this is the most underrated house this year. The 3-D, I think, works surprisingly well (especially compared to past 3-D houses which basically do nothing). This is also the only house that effectively makes me forget that I'm in a tent--the floorless room, laser room, etc. are all so well done that it puts you in a very special sense of 'place'--also, the disorienting effect offers the chance for some unique and surprising scares. The trippy factor makes this the third-best.

4.) Winter's Night--I liked that this is a good old-fashioned haunted house. It doesn't get much simpler than 'ghosts in the graveyard'. Plus, look up for one of the best scares I got all weekend.

5.) Saws n Steam--we only did this house once out of our two days because this one gets crowded, just like every other house in the Jaws area--I will say that this is a good house, but IMO not the best Jaws house, simply because Jason will always hold a special place in my heart lol. I liked this one for the gore and superb probs/effects--really gorey and offers decent scares, and I'm anxious to check this one out again.

6.) Bloodengutz--as everyone knows, this is the comedy house, and I think it's 50-50 as to who likes the comedy element of the house and who's disappointed with its lack of frightening enviornment. I think the set-pieces and queue video are really what set this house apart from former 'comedy houses' and even though there are clever visual puns and some flat-out gross and macarbe setpieces, the scares are there. It takes a certain taste to like this one, but I think I fit it.

7.) Poe--this is a very good house but I can't help but feel a little disappointed in this one. The sets are good but I think they would've been great if they were placed in a soundstage. Also, I'm not very familiar with Poe's work and that is a disadvantage when going through this house as it affected my understanding of the storyline. There are some good atmospheric scares here though.

8.) The Forsaken--I really wanted to like this one a lot, but I just didn't fall in love with it. Again, it's not a bad house--the sets are incredible, especially for the parade warehouse, but the scares just are lacking and the theme/monsters become redundant. I do like the hurricane effect and the rooms all are incredibly detailed to a ship's destroyed interior, but I would choose this one to skip if I had to.

The scarezones really didn't do it for me this year. Besides Acid Assault (I could watch those buildings crumble for hours, it was so cool, and the setpieces were incredible with some pretty neat scareactors) the scarezones are just not as involving as previous years. Lady Luck barely has a presence in her zone. 7 is fun to walk through but there is a big chainsaw drill team-shaped hole in that area. I like the garden zone but miss the pumpkings, even though they're in the Kidzone. Canyon of Dark Souls seems cheap looking to me. And the maze is a joke--the biggest misfire in the history of my experience at HHN. I think with some more scareactors, the scarezones could deliver. And replace the tazer people or whatever they are with the chainsaw drill team...PLEASE!

Some notes on the event overall--much more impressed this year with set design. The tent houses finally have new designs (no more walking through sewers in the MIB tent house) and every house is so much more atmospheric--you truly forget you are in haunted houses when you walk through. Also, I love how HRRR is working this year--it adds a lot of kinetic energy to the soundstage houses queue lines. Also, I felt that overall the houses had more cohesive storylines that were obvious throughout the house and never lost their coherence as the houses went on. While this year may not have as many scares as last year, it definitely has more atmosphere than any other year, which creates scares in its own right. From set design to special effects to staged scares everything physical in the houses is just fantastic. That being said, there are some things missing--the texting game, which will suck when the lines get longer. There is no video that plays at the entrance. AND THERE IS NO CHAINSAW DRILL TEAM!!! Also, while the houses are good and like I said carry good strong storylines, there is no overall theme of luck or presence of Lady Luck at all, which kinda begs the question "what's the point?" Anyways, I know the event will improve but from what I've seen, there's not much they can do to make it one of the best events since Carnival of Carnage (in my opinion:))

Sorry for the long post, I'm still excited!

tarrbear
09-29-2011, 12:30 AM
The Thing: Possibly my favorite house. Why? IMHO I think it had the best costumes.. The masks covered the scareactors arms and torso too. Brilliant.

You know, my group was right behind you while going through The Thing, I saw your username on the back of your tee-shirt, I never got a chance to say hello though!

Anyways, I got myself a Rush of Fear pass, and I went Saturday night (spent Friday night at Howl-O-Scream) and I was quite impressed with the houses this year. We got a late start to the evening (didn't get in till 7:30 ish) but we still managed to see a lot. And by a lot I mean all of the houses, scarezones, Bill and Ted, as well as The Simpsons and The Mummy. We did not have a express pass, now it's time for my review of the houses in the order we did them!

The Forsaken: This was our first house of the night, I did like this house (despite the fact I almost fell flat on my face…) I really liked the hurricane effect and I got some pretty decent scares in this house, my friend got the bulk of them of course. One of the coolest parts though was when you would walk on the tilted ship deck, (was it the deck?) this is where I almost fell flat on my face. When you sort of step up to the tilted platform, I didn’t notice it and if it wasn’t for my friend and ropes to the side that I used to regain myself for a brief moment, I would have went down. 7/10

The In-Between: If I had to describe this house in one word, that word would be, trippy. I did enjoy the 3d effect, it was my first 3d house and I wasn’t sure how it would work so to say. I highly enjoyed this house and I got some pretty good scares here, unfortunately I did not see the no floor gag… too busy trying to focus on everything else… I will look for it next time though! 6/10

Nevermore: This was a great house, I loved it so much! I didn’t really get any good scares in this house (the people in front of us got them) but I loved how well themed it was, I can’t wait to go through it again. 7/10
The Thing: This was a awesome house. I loved the costumes in this house, they were excellent and very cool looking. The scareactors working with the strobes got some good scares out of me, including a few vocal screams might I add. It felt kind of short to me though, maybe I was enjoying it too much :D 8/10

Nightengales: I actually liked how there wasn’t really a façade and you were just thrown right into the middle of the action, I felt it worked well. I loved the theme and got many good scares in here. I can’t remember where this part was at but there was a moment where a soldier was in a alcove shooting a giant machine gun to the right and another alcove to the left. When I walked by, the machine gun started going off and startled me, I jumped to the right where one of the nurses was perfectly set and ready to give me a great scare. 8/10

Winter’s Night: By far my favorite house, did this one twice! I loved the eerie vibe to it, there is just so much I loved about it. In the beginning of the house with the angels is probably where I got the best scare of the night. 9/10

H.R. Bludengutz: This was probably our longest wait of the night, giving us almost enough time to see all of the videos. This house amused me and got some good scares thanks to the Feaster bunny. I liked how the house was set up with the t.v. sets before each room. Oh and the Thanks-killing room had such a lovely scent. 7/10

Saws-N-Steam: I can’t make too many judgments on this house right now, we went through during a cast change so there weren’t too many scares though. The machine pressing on the flesh and the flesh in the tanks was quite gross though… I’ll give it a number rating one I properly see it.

Scarezone wise: The only ones I really liked was Grown Evil and Acid assaults, the rest were okay and I’m sure they will get better at the event goes on.
Bill and Ted: I liked it and was amused by it, better than the past two years!

Now I only have two complaints. One dealing with the flashlight people in H.R. I get that they need to keep the flow going, but them saying “Keep it moving! Don’t stop!” over and over again kind of annoyed me I guess. I did get a laugh from one though, when we walked by he said, “Keep going guys, you are doing great!”

My second complaint if it even is one, is for Winter’s Night. Have you ever seen the show Doctor Who? If not there are creatures called the Weeping Angels, and I’m quite terrified of them. In the beginning you know those angel statues? They look just like the Weeping Angles from Doctor Who (Here is a short video: http://youtu.be/kokvIMWEuFM ). Now I’m not accusing Universal of ripping off the concept, it just made that encounter that much more terrifying for me.

And I have a question; I’ve seen pictures of people posing with Bill and Ted, do they do a meet and greet or something? I also might edit these reviews soon, I’ll be going again tomorrow night… technically tonight haha

DCTooTall
09-29-2011, 07:10 AM
You know, my group was right behind you while going through The Thing, I saw your username on the back of your tee-shirt, I never got a chance to say hello though!

Anyways, I got myself a Rush of Fear pass, and I went Saturday night (spent Friday night at Howl-O-Scream) and I was quite impressed with the houses this year. We got a late start to the evening (didn't get in till 7:30 ish) but we still managed to see a lot. And by a lot I mean all of the houses, scarezones, Bill and Ted, as well as The Simpsons and The Mummy. We did not have a express pass, now it's time for my review of the houses in the order we did them!

The Forsaken: This was our first house of the night, I did like this house (despite the fact I almost fell flat on my face…) I really liked the hurricane effect and I got some pretty decent scares in this house, my friend got the bulk of them of course. One of the coolest parts though was when you would walk on the tilted ship deck, (was it the deck?) this is where I almost fell flat on my face. When you sort of step up to the tilted platform, I didn’t notice it and if it wasn’t for my friend and ropes to the side that I used to regain myself for a brief moment, I would have went down. 7/10

The In-Between: If I had to describe this house in one word, that word would be, trippy. I did enjoy the 3d effect, it was my first 3d house and I wasn’t sure how it would work so to say. I highly enjoyed this house and I got some pretty good scares here, unfortunately I did not see the no floor gag… too busy trying to focus on everything else… I will look for it next time though! 6/10

Nevermore: This was a great house, I loved it so much! I didn’t really get any good scares in this house (the people in front of us got them) but I loved how well themed it was, I can’t wait to go through it again. 7/10
The Thing: This was a awesome house. I loved the costumes in this house, they were excellent and very cool looking. The scareactors working with the strobes got some good scares out of me, including a few vocal screams might I add. It felt kind of short to me though, maybe I was enjoying it too much :D 8/10

Nightengales: I actually liked how there wasn’t really a façade and you were just thrown right into the middle of the action, I felt it worked well. I loved the theme and got many good scares in here. I can’t remember where this part was at but there was a moment where a soldier was in a alcove shooting a giant machine gun to the right and another alcove to the left. When I walked by, the machine gun started going off and startled me, I jumped to the right where one of the nurses was perfectly set and ready to give me a great scare. 8/10

Winter’s Night: By far my favorite house, did this one twice! I loved the eerie vibe to it, there is just so much I loved about it. In the beginning of the house with the angels is probably where I got the best scare of the night. 9/10

H.R. Bludengutz: This was probably our longest wait of the night, giving us almost enough time to see all of the videos. This house amused me and got some good scares thanks to the Feaster bunny. I liked how the house was set up with the t.v. sets before each room. Oh and the Thanks-killing room had such a lovely scent. 7/10

Saws-N-Steam: I can’t make too many judgments on this house right now, we went through during a cast change so there weren’t too many scares though. The machine pressing on the flesh and the flesh in the tanks was quite gross though… I’ll give it a number rating one I properly see it.

Scarezone wise: The only ones I really liked was Grown Evil and Acid assaults, the rest were okay and I’m sure they will get better at the event goes on.
Bill and Ted: I liked it and was amused by it, better than the past two years!

Now I only have two complaints. One dealing with the flashlight people in H.R. I get that they need to keep the flow going, but them saying “Keep it moving! Don’t stop!” over and over again kind of annoyed me I guess. I did get a laugh from one though, when we walked by he said, “Keep going guys, you are doing great!”

My second complaint if it even is one, is for Winter’s Night. Have you ever seen the show Doctor Who? If not there are creatures called the Weeping Angels, and I’m quite terrified of them. In the beginning you know those angel statues? They look just like the Weeping Angles from Doctor Who (Here is a short video: http://youtu.be/kokvIMWEuFM ). Now I’m not accusing Universal of ripping off the concept, it just made that encounter that much more terrifying for me.

And I have a question; I’ve seen pictures of people posing with Bill and Ted, do they do a meet and greet or something? I also might edit these reviews soon, I’ll be going again tomorrow night… technically tonight haha

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I'm so looking forward to tonight! :goodvibes:goodvibes

chataro
09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
This year’s event really took its time to develop on the website, but once it did, I have to admit that I was excited for what was to come. I, like others, didn’t really see a “casino” event as being a great marketing concept, but with the twist that Lady Luck is just there when people make decisions; I personally thought this took it into a very cool direction and tied her involvement into the event perfectly.

While the event is not perfect, I will say that in my opinion it is one of the strongest years from top to bottom that I have been to since Sweet 16. Here are my thoughts on the houses. I will break each house down into three categories. Scenery, Effects, and Scares.

The Forsaken: (4 visits + UTH tour)

1. Scenery – The scenery in this house was amazing. You felt like you just walked in that Spanish fort just after they were attacked. I was a little disappointed at the lack of the normal huge façade at the beginning, but that was quickly forgiven when I walked into the courtyard scene. I’m pretty sure that that scene is now my all time favorite scene. 9/10
2. Effects – This house gives you the true feeling that you are in the middle of this huge storm going on while the battle rages. Shutters banging, lightening flashing, high winds, and moisture all immerse you into this storm as you walk through. Add the cool effect of the Cathedral’s green screen and the crooked walkway in the bowels of the ship and they really nailed this one. 9/10
3. Scares – Like with all houses at HHN. . .TIMING IS EVERYTHING!!!! Over the weekend we ended up going through this one four times and there were some times my wife got it bad and others that we just missed it. I will say that the green eyes can give away a lot of what it about to happen, but it’s such a cool effect and when done right, it delivered the scares. The final flying scare is awesome if you are lucky enough to time seeing it right. 7/10

The In-Between: (2 visits)

1. Scenery – This house to me was very light on scenery by design. You really only had two main scenes with the dorm room at the beginning and the dorm room at the end. While they were perfectly fine, they didn’t worry about the scenery in this house because this was an effects heavy house. 3/10
2. Effects – Here is where this house stood out. I’ve been through a few other 3D houses in the past including Jack’s, and I don’t think anyone can say that this house isn’t amazing compared to the others. The tunnel starts you off and it only gets more and more impressive as you go from one disorientating effect to the other. This was truly amazing and was such a mind melt. 10/10
3. Scares – Probably the only complaint I will have with this house is that there didn’t seem to be that many scares in it. That might be because it was opening weekend, timing, or what I think, there is so much screwing with your head 3D effect wise, they decided to take it easy on the scares so you could just take the effects in. I would have preferred at least a few more scares out of this one though because they definitely have you distracted with the Effects. 4/10

Nevermore the Madness of Poe: (3 visits + UTH tour)

1. Scenery – This house was gorgeous. They did such a great job of taking you back to Poe’s era and immersing you into each and every story that they chose to represent in the house. Just walking into the Tell Tale Heart scene made you feel the madness, the dancers in the Masque of the Red Death scene made you feel like you were invited to the party, The Black Cat scene made you feel like you were the one being walled up. All the scenes were great in reflecting the madness that was Poe. 10/10
2. Effects - The loud heart beating, the screeching ravens, and if you were lucky enough to see behind the picture all added into the overall feel of the house. I wouldn’t call this house effect heavy, but would say that the Scenery was the stand out in this house. 5/10
3. Scares – This house had very strong scares throughout. From the man with the Vulture’s eye, the ballroom dancers, the rather large ravens, and the poor axed woman, this house was big in misdirection and what I call stealth scares. The scares came fairly often. 8/10

Saws N Steams: (3 visits)

1. Scenery – As opposed to the gorgeous scenery in Nevermore, this house wins hands down for the most disgusting scenery. Don’t take me wrong though, that’s NOT a bad thing when it comes to HHN. This house reminded me a lot of the Cleaver house a couple years back, but I think they did a better job of relating the process through this house. There was so much to see and I truly wish they wouldn’t rush you through so fast so we could “stop and smell the roses” through this house. Great, Wonderful, Nasty, Gross, Disgusting Scenery. 10/10
2. Effects – To say this house was wet is an understatement. There were so many cool effects used that really made you believe that the poor souls that signed up for Horizon had met with truly horrible demises. The presses, the “fish” tanks, the waterfall, electricity all made you feel like you were going to be the next to get squeezed like orange juice. The leg filet was probably the grossest scene I’ve ever seen at HHN! 9/10
3. Scares – I’m 6’3” and there were still quite a few “workers” in there that I had to look up to. They played their part perfectly and made you feel that they were just doing their jobs and you were next. Pretty clear cut scares here with the chainsaws and various other cutting devices, but what they lacked in jump scares, they made up in intimidation scares. Plus anytime you have a chainsaw guy at the exit, it’s a good good thing. 8/10

H.R. Bloodengutz (2 visits)

I will start out by saying DO NOT go into this house when it’s still light out. It’s way too bright in there and that will distract any potential scares.
1. Scenery – This house played the campy/funny house perfectly. I loved going through all the Holiday themed rooms and they were all decorated to a tee. I like the way they did the little break scenes between each Holiday, similar to how they did Silver Screams a couple years back, because the first time we went through, it was daylight and we couldn’t see the pre-house video at all. You knew what Holiday you were in the second you walked in each scene and I’ll just say that I loved the Jack reference and seeing Santa’s beard splattered all over the wall. 8/10
2. Effects – This house was not really effect heavy but they did manage to use smells and “blood” squirting to help the Holidays come to life. I always love it when they use smells to further immerse you into the scenes and really loved the smells in the Thanksgiving scene. Arbor day was a fun “wet” scene and the tree costume was great. 6/10
3. Scares – Very typical scares for the comedy house. You can count on a few good misdirection scares, but primarily, you are going to get the over the top acting scares that make it the comedy house. I loved the Feaster Bunny and the ghillie suit scare in the same scene. That’s always a good scare. 7/10

The Thing: (2 visits)

1. Scenery- Soundstage houses will always be some of the most detailed houses around and The Thing was no exception. As you entered the sound stage, you could swear you just were transported to the Norwegian base. The rest of the house was not a letdown as you worked your way through the base as the alien took over. 8/10
2. Effects- Another effect heavy house. The snow and cold was incredible, and much loved after the 90 degree temperatures. The only thing I will say is that the house felt a little too effect heavy rather than scare heavy. The main problem I noticed was that if you didn’t get to see the animatronics effect as you walked passed, you weren’t going to get to see the next one either. The timing was poor in my opinion and they took too long to reset. I liked the effects in this house, but just thought they could have timed them better. 6/10
3. Scares – Because of the effect heavy nature of the house, I just didn’t see many scares happening. I saw were the scareactors were, but they weren’t coming out. I think the only scares that took place in this house for my group were the loud gunshots startling us. Plus add the bright lights and you couldn’t see the next scare anyways. 5/10

Nightingales: (2 visits)

1. Scenery – This house also didn’t have the traditional façade that soundstage houses normally do, but it made sense as to the nature of the house. You were thrown into the war immediately and no time for gawking. I think Universal nailed look and feel to what I could picture WWI being like. The scenery was not colorful or diverse, but it gave you the hopeless feeling of war. Loved the horse scene and the body room!!!!! 9/10
2. Effects – The battle sounds alone make this a really immersive house. Add in the blood spray, the flying Nightingales, and the smell of dirt all around you, you really do feel like you are in the middle of WWI. I loved the effect of the lights flashing above the trench to make you feel like the battle was just over the dirt ledge. Great effects in this house. 9/10
3. Scares – The way the Nightingales evolve throughout the house was pure genius. You get to see them in three different stages and each one is frightening. Most the scares come from above on this one and that makes sense being you are in a trench. The dead body room to me was just a real eerie area and can really scare the spit out of you. 8/10

Winters Night: (5 visits + UTH tour)

1. Scenery – Once again, when walking into the soundstage, you are hit with the impressive view of the Hawthorn Cemetery. What follows is a totally awesome walk through a cemetery that will give you the feeling of death being everywhere. The tombs, caskets, and outside scenes are top notch and the snow scattered throughout just add to the theme. The brick wall with the diorama scene is amazing! 9/10
2. Effects – Very similar in the effects of The Thing house with the snow and cold. There is a cool effect with a ghost looking like he is crawling out of the grave that we learned was inspired by The Walking Dead TV show. Not effect heavy, but the cold is enough in this house. 6/10
3. Scares – This house to me was very strong in the scares. It begins with the weeping angel and continues on from there. A few of the stand out scares for me was the overhead coffin, the diorama scare, and the final scene. Very strong scare house in my opinion. 8/10

Well this is my review of the opening weekend and I will restate that I really liked this year. I think not only are the houses strong, but most of the scare zones are done very well also. I would have included my review of the scare zones, but this was long enough. I look forward to my return trips to see any improvements that they implement. Well done Universal!!!

DisneyMissy318
09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detailed reviews - this will be our 1st trip to HHN - I purposely wanted to read - and I'm sitting here feeling very anxious, nervous and excited! Definitely looking forward to the experience!

chataro
10-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detailed reviews - this will be our 1st trip to HHN - I purposely wanted to read - and I'm sitting here feeling very anxious, nervous and excited! Definitely looking forward to the experience!

I hope you have a blast!!!!! :cool1:

Marquibiri
10-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Shame on you! Just kidding.... You should have said hi! :goodvibes

Marquibiri :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

ToGreen78
10-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Shame on you! Just kidding.... You should have said hi! :goodvibes

Marquibiri :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I said HI!!! Hi Marco, it's Maggie, we met at UTH room! I saw your shirt and my husband and I were gabbing with you till we got split up into seperate groups :sad1:

Marquibiri
10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I said HI!!! Hi Marco, it's Maggie, we met at UTH room! I saw your shirt and my husband and I were gabbing with you till we got split up into seperate groups :sad1:

That's right! Ooops... I have shamed myself!! :confused:

I did not notice who posted this.

It was wonderful meeting the two of you! :)

I have officially become addicted to the UTH Tour!
Will do it every time!

Cheers!

DisneyMissy318
10-16-2011, 03:12 PM
We are here now! Just waiting for the fun to begin! Thanks for all of the great info!

LMO429
10-18-2011, 07:55 PM
are there chicken exits in the haunted houses?

macraven
10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
none that i am aware of.....

Metro West
10-19-2011, 03:53 AM
are there chicken exits in the haunted houses? There are employees standing throughout the houses so if you have to exit the house, they will assist.

LMO429
10-19-2011, 08:54 AM
There are employees standing throughout the houses so if you have to exit the house, they will assist.

okay..never been before and want to try but I'm a huge scaredy cat :scared1:

Metro West
10-19-2011, 10:29 AM
okay..never been before and want to try but I'm a huge scaredy cat :scared1: LOL...I'm sure you'll be fine. I walked around with some HHN virgins Sunday night for a while and two of them were jumping at everything. I had an absolute blast!

vinvader
10-19-2011, 11:42 AM
My thoughts on HHN21

HOUSES

The Forsaken:
Within an abandoned Spanish fort, the mutinous undead crew of Columbus' missing fourth ship have returned with a vengeance.

This was one of my favourite houses, I loved the use of thunder, lightning, wind and rain effects, it was really atmospheric. In the courtyard scene there was crunchy stuff under your feet which helped set the scene, also loved the FOG tribute. I'm not really a fan of the identikit creatures which seem to be becoming a staple of HHN (Catacombs, The Spawning) a few more differing costumes would be nice. Best bit was the tilted gangway with the scareactors on both sides and having to hold the ropes to steady yourself.

Found this lights on walkthrough on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il6eltDVk64&feature=related

Saws n' Steam:
Spinning blades and crushing pistons threaten your every step as you're forced deeper into the bowels of a mechanical nightmare.

When I first heard of this house based on last years rubbish scarezone I wasn't too impressed. It was a nice surprise to find it was great. You got wet, there was these really yucky fishtank things with flesh and fingers swirling around inside. Blocks of flesh were squished, a guy was pushed through a mincer, blades sprang out. Especially loved the guy behind the waterfall who punched the water at you,

Nightingales:
Patrolling WW1-era trenches, you discover you're more than just at war... you're being hunted by savage, shape-shifting banshees.

Another fave house, it was really grim walking among the trenches whilst the war is raging above. The bit with all the bloody body bags and the 'nurse' on them was really creepy. I also loved the banshee munching the horses head.

Winter’s Night:
As snow falls on this serene gothic cemetery, spirits of the deceased rise from their graves... their ghostly sights firmly set upon you.

This house was suitably cold, I loved the snow falling at the start. The legless ghoul pulling himself out of his grave was also really cool. The sets were really detailed.

Lights on walkthrough on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtO-B-tRzfk&feature=related

The Inbetween:
An ominous portal reveals a 3rd dimension where fiendish creatures collide with our world in a phantasm of terror.

This was the best 3D house I've done so far, not many scares but some really interesting trippy visuals. I particularly liked the bat people and the crazy string room.

The Thing had impressive sets and costumes, Nevermore was good, but I preferred Howl'O'Scream's Poe house. Only did Bloodengutz twice, it was ok. I liked the use of the red button again (though I think it's since been removed?)

SCAREZONES

7:
By day, these seven Temptresses appear as a spectacle of beauty. But by night, they show their true fatal evil forms.

The change of costumes throughout the night was a great idea, a great photo op. I really liked the haunting cover of Beautiful People they played during the early stage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZADPizup14

This zone really rocked later when Marilyn Manson was blasting out!

Grown Evil:
Nature has taken this once well-manicured garden back from the humans who once kept it.

I've always liked this area for scarezones as it's nice and narrow and really holds the smoke making it hard to see the scareactors coming. The costumes and stiltwalkers were great here, they would hide out of view then come flapping at you. They did have an annoying habit of covering your camera with their wings when you tried to take a photo though.

Acid Assault:
Degrading from the effects of acid rain, those that have survived the blistering decay are all alone in the city.

The projections and sounds of crumbling buildings were impressive though I feel that area should have been darker to better display them. Total lack of scareactors in the area though and we've seen those props many times before.

The Bad... The entrance was really poor this year no props at all, I also never saw any scareactors outside the park. Like every year large areas of the park had no theming or music, why not use the projection screens on the lake? Death Drums needs a rethink, the drumming was good but the moving scaffolding they were on was kind of stupid looking. Bill & Ted was rubbish again.

Conclusion:
Had a brilliant time as always, HHN 21 was a really good year with very strong houses and some great scarezones, I felt it was an improvement on the last couple of years. :goodvibes

vinvader
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
My pics...

Sunday 2nd Oct

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1683/dsc03809m.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6578/dsc03812p.jpg

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/5682/dsc03813.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6797/dsc03814oh.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6717/dsc03817nd.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2857/dsc03819q.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9449/dsc03818kk.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2703/dsc03833nk.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7424/dsc03856te.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8554/dsc03864g.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7312/dsc03865f.jpg

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9058/dsc03868s.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4659/dsc03874e.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6943/dsc03882fu.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2006/dsc03892wd.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6181/dsc03896xu.jpg

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1854/dsc03922ly.jpg

vinvader
10-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Thursday 6th Oct...

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4420/dsc03936i.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5881/dsc03929g.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8087/dsc03928d.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3240/dsc03930d.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2787/dsc03931o.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3088/dsc03932w.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8505/dsc03933y.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3381/dsc04011me.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4405/dsc04012d.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8154/dsc04013w.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3503/dsc04014u.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8636/dsc04033u.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1586/dsc04062fo.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2078/dsc04072t.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5051/dsc04084e.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6067/dsc04088uu.jpg

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1746/dsc04094n.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1090/dsc04100x.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1255/dsc04110t.jpg

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7650/dsc04123d.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5939/dsc04192o.jpg

vinvader
10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Sunday 9th Oct. Not many photos this time as the weather was a bit grim...

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/41/dsc04313b.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9918/dsc04315v.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8301/dsc04323v.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1707/dsc04350n.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7620/dsc04378z.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3299/dsc04365q.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5049/dsc04384c.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6201/dsc04388py.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1817/dsc04395q.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6596/dsc04396e.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4368/dsc04375c.jpg

JessicaR
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Great pictures Vinvader - thanks for sharing! :)

vinvader
10-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Thank you Jessica, glad you enjoyed them. :)