PDA

View Full Version : Avatar going to Disney

DCTooTall
09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

I know there has been speculation here in the past that Universal would end up getting something Avatar related as a possible replacement for T2. It looks like Disney ended up winning the rights.

Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

Bluer101
09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Well that stinks.

Harry Potter
09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
After what JK got for WWoHP, the $$$$ signs were obviously in James Cameron's eyes. He quite rightly would have had huge financial demands for use of the IP, and the ball was in Disney's court. They needed a Harry Potter-killer.

Universal on the other hand are already sitting pretty with what they have. They probably wanted Avatar for one of their UOR parks, but were not prepared to pay the premium seeing as they were alreay paying the premium for a proven franchise in Potter.

I am excited for Disney. It is a huge development for them. Animal Kingdom was a half-day park, with virtually no good attractions (EE looks mega, but everything else looks pretty lame). Well, all that changes in 2016! Count me in for my first ever visit!

But what I am even more excited about is the probability that Universal will respond to this news by announcing WWoHP phase 2 to coincide with the opening of the Avatar development at Disney.

This is GREAT NEWS for all of us!

It could well be that Universal's plans for PHASE 2 will now become more expensive and grandiose than what they would have been, had Disney allowed them to rest on their laurels.

WWoHP is a cash cow, no doubt. And theme park companies are greedy animals, so an expansion to WWoHP was already a certainty at some stage. But I feared we would get slightly rethemed and halfbaked Sinbad/Poseidon attractions themed to books 5-7 in the HP universe.

I honestly don't think Universal can 'just' do that now. They simply have to respond properly to negate the short term advantage Disney will have from 2016 onwards. And that SHOULD mean physical interactive developments to the standard of Hogwarts Castle and Hogsmeade Village.

Members on this forum have said in the past that Diagon Alley won't fit into WWoHP, in which case Gringotts cannot be built (Gringotts is based in Diagon Alley in the books and films). But now I think simply adding a Shreiking Shack walkthrough attraction in place of Poseidon's Fury would leave a horrid taste in the mouth for most of us.

If that's all Universal Creative can muster in the next few years, then I know which resort I'll be at in 2016! :woohoo:

RAPstar
09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Not excited at all. I would actually consider skipping it altogether.

patster734
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I would have thought that Disney would have been more interested in another race of blue people (aka The Smurfs). The Smurfs seem to fit the Disney mold more than Avatar. After all, I can see a Smurf wearing Mickey ears. (MickeySmurf!?)

DCTooTall
09-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I would have thought that Disney would have been more interested in another race of blue people (aka The Smurfs). The Smurfs seem to fit the Disney mold more than Avatar. After all, I can see a Smurf wearing Mickey ears. (MickeySmurf!?)

Maybe too many questions about how there were so many guys but only 1 woman?

Or why the little blue people lived in Mushrooms?

:confused3

:lmao:

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. I can see the environmental aspect possibly being a nice mesh within the Animal Kingdom park.

McClane713
09-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Well alright, didn't see that coming. I'll say the same thing I said when I heard the rumor about it possibly coming to Universal: Pretty movie, just doesnt do anything for me. But I think AK is the perfect place for it. Fits the conservation theme, beautiful environment to add to a park with already great scenery, and the park can use a few more attractions.

Metro West
09-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Get ready to see everything Avatar with little mouse ears on it.

nytimez
09-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I think it's a great move, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Now when will Universal respond by opening Middle Earth?

fairyprincess88
09-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Which is why I thank the heavens everyday that JKR did not go with Disney for Potter. Just the thought of Harry with mouse ears gives me the cringes.

RAPstar
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I think it's a great move, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Now when will Universal respond by opening Middle Earth?

Probably with an HP expansion.

nytimez
09-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Which is why I thank the heavens everyday that JKR did not go with Disney for Potter. Just the thought of Harry with mouse ears gives me the cringes.

She did. They even had a deal. Then the deal fell through.

patster734
09-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe too many questions about how there were so many guys but only 1 woman?

Or why the little blue people lived in Mushrooms?

:confused3

:lmao:

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. I can see the environmental aspect possibly being a nice mesh within the Animal Kingdom park.

:laughing: Great points! Disney may not be prepared to give the answer to the kiddies when they start asking, if they had gone with Smurfs.

In the famous words of Darth Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

patster734
09-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Perhaps that will be the plot of the next Avatar movie: Disney shows up next on the alien planet to Mickeyize the planet's natives.

RAPstar
09-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Actually Patrick its:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

patster734
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Actuall Patrick its:

:rotfl2: I stand corrected!

RMulieri
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
I wasn't interested back when it was a Universal rumor..Still not interested.The movie was ok, nothing I would want to re-watch..

Planogirl
09-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I think that the world of Avatar could be pretty fascinating. I don't get why it's being put in AK but whatever.

I wonder what if anything Universal will go for now. Can I still pray for Batman?

DrDoofenshmirtz
09-20-2011, 08:19 PM
I think that the world of Avatar could be pretty fascinating. I don't get why it's being put in AK but whatever.

I wonder what if anything Universal will go for now. Can I still pray for Batman?

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Batman. I believe that Six flags has a deal with WB regarding the DC characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc)

Going back to the OP, I'd love to see a replacement for T2, which I think has gotten a bit long in the tooth. About 10 years ago, I'd root for The Matrix, but that's pretty much run it's course by now. :sad2:

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but all things considered, you'd have to think that would go over huge.

AJA
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM

That would be amazing!!!!!!:worship:

lmf70
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Thought middle Earth was Lord of the Rings??

zack123
09-20-2011, 09:18 PM

That would be cool . . . maybe. I lived in New Zealand during the LOTR movie hype, and that will always be what I picture when "Middle Earth" is mentioned. Not sure any theme park could compare.

keishashadow
09-20-2011, 10:14 PM

speaking as an ex-blue hair;)i'll call u an expert in the matter

there's a thread on the the other side jik anybody interested

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42701812&posted=1

they're already selling avatar ears:lmao:, how soon before this company gets hit with a cease & desist from the mouse?;)
http://goldendragonfly.com/shop/dsc00965.jpg

damo
09-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I think they're taking a chance with this becoming a popular franchise. They seem to be jumping the gun. It isn't something that I would plan a trip around. I am glad however, that more new stuff is happening.

macraven
09-21-2011, 12:06 AM
i wasn't an Avator fan.
but, i will check it out when 2015 comes around.
AK needs something to make it more inviting to spend a day there.

RMulieri
09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
i wasn't an Avator fan.
but, i will check it out when 2015 comes around.
AK needs something to make it more inviting to spend a day there.

True...But I think Disney should also consider fixing that travesty called DHS or giving some of those FW pavilions at Epcot a fix up

damo
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
True...But I think Disney should also consider fixing that travesty called DHS or giving some of those FW pavilions at Epcot a fix up

I totally agree. There are other places that need attention far worse than AK.

nytimez
09-21-2011, 09:21 AM

I disagree... I'm routinely in AK until closing, but it's usually a ghost town by then and many people believe it's a half-day park.

AK needs something there that will keep people in the park longer, and allow the park to be open later since presumably they will still have to bring the animals inside in the evening.

DHS also needs some love, but not as badly as AK does. And I don't see how you can compare building a new land to fixing up a few F&F pavilions used for six weeks a year...

macraven
09-21-2011, 10:17 AM

you have a very valid point!

dhs is my second favorite park at the motherland!

i didn't think about avatar being put there.
it's a good thought.

i would love to see something put in dhs that would knock the socks off of us.

Metro West
09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Looking at different threads around the boards, I'm really surprised at the amount of complaining that's going on about this addition. I thought more people would have been pleased that Disney was finally adding something new and different to their parks but apparently not. I don't care one way or the other since I'm not an Avatar fan but as an Orlando resident, I'm glad to see more choices coming down the pike.

I guess you just can't please anyone anymore. :sad2:

McClane713
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Looking at different threads around the boards, I'm really surprised at the amount of complaining that's going on about this addition. I thought more people would have been pleased that Disney was finally adding something new and different to their parks but apparently not. I don't care one way or the other since I'm not an Avatar fan but as an Orlando resident, I'm glad to see more choices coming down the pike.

Agreed. Not just this site either, but there's alot of negative reactions. I'd go as far as to say that I despise Avatar, I think it's highly overrated. But as a themed land in a park, I think it would be cool if done right. I guess I just don't understand why all of the die hard Disney fans are up in arms about it. The most common complaint I've read is that it's not a Disney property. Neither is Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, or even Pixar when they first showed up in the parks (basically all of DHS), but everyone begs for more attractions using them.
Well, maybe not Pixar, but you get my point.

patster734
09-21-2011, 12:25 PM
speaking as an ex-blue hair;)i'll call u an expert in the matter
there's a thread on the the other side jik anybody interested

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42701812&posted=1

they're already selling avatar ears:lmao:, how soon before this company gets hit with a cease & desist from the mouse?;)
http://goldendragonfly.com/shop/dsc00965.jpg

:rotfl: I'm definitely no expert, but thanks for the complement! :thumbsup2

As for Avatar, I really enjoyed the movie. The visuals were spectacular. Rumor has it that two more Avatar movies are planned. If Disney does it right, this could be huge for them.

Planogirl
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Cameron knows how to make a buck so I suspect that Disney will do quite well with this. I agree that AK needs help. People go since it's included in the passes but the general perception seems to be lukewarm at best.

DCTooTall
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't hold out much hope for Batman. I believe that Six flags has a deal with WB regarding the DC characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc)

Going back to the OP, I'd love to see a replacement for T2, which I think has gotten a bit long in the tooth. About 10 years ago, I'd root for The Matrix, but that's pretty much run it's course by now. :sad2:

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but all things considered, you'd have to think that would go over huge.

Ooooo.... That could be interesting. NBCUniversal has a history with Star Trek (First series aired on NBC... Last 2 Series were on UPN (Universal/Paramount Network).

Plus, Star Trek actually even had a presence In the old Universal Studios Florida park (before the Universal Orlando makeover)...... So I could see that happenening. It'd be interesting to see if we hear anything since the 2nd "reboot" movie is in the works now.

I'm not so sure of that. DHS has 4 headliner/people draw attractions already between Tower of Terror, RockNRoller coaster, Toy Story Mania, and Star Tours. It also has nighttime entertainment with Fantasmic. If nothing more, you can kill an entire day just waiting in the lines.

AK on the other hand, for most people, has maybe 2 or 3 attractions worth checking out. the Safari's, Everest, and Kali River Rapids. (Dinosaur tends to get overlooked by a lot of people... and the nature trails/shows aren;t huge draws). There is also no nighttime entertainment.

As a result, You see a lot of people skipping AK or only spending a 1/2 day there. You'll also see AK being the Disney park you see being dropped from plans most often to venture over to Universal for the Disney fans who just want to go "check out that new harry potter park". Beefing up AK could do a lot to help Disney keep people on property.

TBH, From the complaints and everything I've seen, a lot of the issues seem to come from people who either just don't understand that Avatar offers much more than just a big violent Human vs. Smurfs on Steroids movie, See it as just a big Sci-Fi movie and don't see how it could fit in AK, Or are so gung-ho "Disney should only have Disney Stuff...and Star Wars" that they are closed minded to the possibilities that could be done with the property.

I'm honestly not surprised that the Universal Crowd is much more accepting and excited at the possibilities presented by this announcement. We know to prejudice Universal gets from some of the die-hard Disney nuts because "Universal isn't Disney".... but we know that Universal can be just as good at creating an experience as Disney is.

Rip
09-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm surprised that the negative reactions as well. I'll admit, I enjoyed the movie, and even though I think they'll royally screw it up with the sequels (think The Matrix), the idea has some real potential. That said, I just don't have faith in Disney to do it right anymore. I would not expect anything comparable to WWoHP, but hopefully I'll be wrong. Either way, it should prompt Universal to move forward on expanding HP sooner than they otherwise may have.

RMulieri
09-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm not so sure of that. DHS has 4 headliner/people draw attractions already between Tower of Terror, RockNRoller coaster, Toy Story Mania, and Star Tours. It also has nighttime entertainment with Fantasmic. If nothing more, you can kill an entire day just waiting in the lines The problem is that at DHS other than TSM, there are no family friendly rides.The great Movie ride is tired, and Star tours has a height requirement.Honestly after I ride ToT ,RnRc and TSm I get the heck out of there.I have seen the shows so many times I could probably perform them myself.They need something else.As for Epcot, Look at the Pavilions..Imagination is a total snooze and a SAD substitute for what it was.Wonders of Life was left to rot, and Universe of Energy is getting old..It needs some love.

nytimez
09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
The problem is that at DHS other than TSM, there are no family friendly rides.The great Movie ride is tired, and Star tours has a height requirement.Honestly after I ride ToT ,RnRc and TSm I get the heck out of there.I have seen the shows so many times I could probably perform them myself.They need something else.As for Epcot, Look at the Pavilions..Imagination is a total snooze and a SAD substitute for what it was.Wonders of Life was left to rot, and Universe of Energy is getting old..It needs some love.

I agree on DHS, although I don't think the need there is quite as pressing as it is at AK.

I disagree on Epcot, however. No park has gotten more love over the past 15 years than Epcot. Is there room for improvement? Sure -- but I think they've done an incredible job in reshaping the park from the wreck it was in the early to mid 1990s.

Timmy Boy
09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
This announcement caught me way off guard. I was not expecting this at all. I'm most interested in the "new ride technology" that they say will be opening. They can't use the Spiderman system, and Universal has the right to Kuka arms for some amount of years (10 maybe? not sure).

EDIT: Someone on another board mentioned a possible heavily themed coaster. Sounds good, however if they go with a less family friendly one, such as a B&M flyer or wingrider, get ready to see the very first Disney attraction with required lockers, which I doubt they would like to have.

nytimez
09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
This announcement caught me way off guard. I was not expecting this at all. I'm most interested in the "new ride technology" that they say will be opening. They can't use the Spiderman system, and Universal has the right to Kuka arms for some amount of years (10 maybe? not sure).

EDIT: Someone on another board mentioned a possible heavily themed coaster. Sounds good, however if they go with a less family friendly one, such as a B&M flyer or wingrider, get ready to see the very first Disney attraction with required lockers, which I doubt they would like to have.

I don't know what the KUKA deal is either, but if it runs for 10 years it would be up by the time Avatar opens. Spider-Man opened in 2004, I believe...

Timmy Boy
09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Spiderman opened in 1999 with IOA.

nytimez
09-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Spiderman opened in 1999 with IOA.

I stand corrected. In any case, I was also confused on the KUKA arm and somehow associated it with Spider-Man, which is also incorrect. I'm 0-for-2.

patster734
09-21-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm going to repeat my post earlier, which is the famous quote from Darth Vader, which Rapstar corrected me on:

(Did I get it right this time, Rapstar?)

My problem with heavily themed coasters, unless they're designed like The Mummy where you aren't flying along the track through the whole ride, is that you whiz past the scenery without getting a good look at the details. I'd prefer a slower ride where I have time admire the details.

DCTooTall
09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
The problem is that at DHS other than TSM, there are no family friendly rides.The great Movie ride is tired, and Star tours has a height requirement.Honestly after I ride ToT ,RnRc and TSm I get the heck out of there.I have seen the shows so many times I could probably perform them myself.They need something else.As for Epcot, Look at the Pavilions..Imagination is a total snooze and a SAD substitute for what it was.Wonders of Life was left to rot, and Universe of Energy is getting old..It needs some love.

There is still more "family friendly" stuff to do at MGM, even if they aren't headliners.

The Great movie Ride. Backlot Tour. Muppets. BatB. Fantasmic. Little Mermaid Show. Indy Show. Stunt Car Show. Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area..... etc.

If you take out non-family friendly stuff at AK (Everest, Kali, Dinosaur), then you are stuck with the Safari (which has it's own issues because of the bumpiness), It's Tough to be a Bug (which freaks out some kids because of the bugs), Nemo Show, Lion King Show, Triceritops Spin..... and um.... lots of nature trails.

AK easily needs more love than DHS. You don't even have a fun "must see" event for the kiddies like the Jedi Academy.

(But yes... MGM still needs some love, but it's not as pressing a need as AK)

I agree on DHS, although I don't think the need there is quite as pressing as it is at AK.

I disagree on Epcot, however. No park has gotten more love over the past 15 years than Epcot. Is there room for improvement? Sure -- but I think they've done an incredible job in reshaping the park from the wreck it was in the early to mid 1990s.

I miss the early 90's version of the park. I'll even settle for the mid-90's version. The park has lost something since the loss of the Original JII, World of Motion, Horizons, and Sea Base Alpha.

Mission Space, Test Track, and Soarin' are decent attractions themselves, but there is a sense of wonder/excitement/curiosity/hope that the old EPCOT Center had that the current Epcot is missing. :confused3

Metro West
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't know what the KUKA deal is either, but if it runs for 10 years it would be up by the time Avatar opens. Spider-Man opened in 2004, I believe... From what I remember reading when the announcement came out several years ago, I think it said Universal had exclusive use of the robotic arm at theme parks for ten years. I heard that's why Disney had to scrap the attraction based on The Incredibles since it would use the robotic arm. I'm sure Universal would renew the contract if that's an option.

wendyt_ca
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm a huge Disney fan I am also surprised by the negative response especially prior to any actual detail or concept art. I myself am quite excited and love any growth Disney does to add to the parks.

Rip
09-21-2011, 04:48 PM
From what I remember reading when the announcement came out several years ago, I think it said Universal had exclusive use of the robotic arm at theme parks for ten years. I heard that's why Disney had to scrap the attraction based on The Incredibles since it would use the robotic arm. I'm sure Universal would renew the contract if that's an option.

I heard this as well, but there must be some sort of loophole since Epcot currently has one in Innoventions. I think it's called the Sum of all Thrills or something like that.

wendyt_ca
09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Wasn't the Kuka arm exclusive 10 year deal with WWOHP? I believe it goes until 2017.

DCTooTall
09-21-2011, 05:03 PM
I heard this as well, but there must be some sort of loophole since Epcot currently has one in Innoventions. I think it's called the Sum of all Thrills or something like that.

Considering that Sum of All Thrills is not a unique concept (Virtual Coasters on the robotic arms have been around for a few years now), I'm guessing use in that regard is an exception.

It's probably more specific in the type of usage, such as use in non-stationary applications or something.

wendyt_ca
09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Considering that Sum of All Thrills is not a unique concept (Virtual Coasters on the robotic arms have been around for a few years now), I'm guessing use in that regard is an exception.

It's probably more specific in the type of usage, such as use in non-stationary applications or something.

I believe Disney got a hold of a small number of them prior and can use those just cannot purchase any more

DCTooTall
09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I believe Disney got a hold of a small number of them prior and can use those just cannot purchase any more

Hmmmm.....

Actually.....

http://www.kuka-robotics.com/en/products/systems/robocoaster/

Since Kuka sells the Robocoaster system as it is, I doubt they'd still sell the system if they gave Universal exclusive rights to it in a themepark.

I'm betting the language is such that the Robotic arms are exclusive to Uni in a themepark environment, but the Robocoaster system is a separate productline not covered by the Universal contract.

nytimez
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I believe there's also a KUKA arm on Nemo in Epcot. The anglerfish.

Planogirl
09-21-2011, 07:16 PM

I know that Batman is just a pipe dream. It's just that Six Flags doesn't do him justice and with Disney buying Marvel...

Sigh... OK, what about the Lord of the Rings then? I understand that Tolkien disliked Disney but what about other themeparks? LOTR really needs its own themepark though.

Star TreK? Hmmmm... The new Star Trek movie was really good.

DrDoofenshmirtz
09-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I know that Batman is just a pipe dream. It's just that Six Flags doesn't do him justice and with Disney buying Marvel...

Sigh... OK, what about the Lord of the Rings then? I understand that Tolkien disliked Disney but what about other themeparks? LOTR really needs its own themepark though.

Star TreK? Hmmmm... The new Star Trek movie was really good.

I agree about Six Flags not doing Batman (or any of the other characters) justice. I'd love it if the Marvel characters transferred to Disney, and the DC characters were aquired by Universal. How hard would it really be to re-theme MSI? Just think: A Batman overlay for Spider-Man...Hulk given a red and blue paintjob for Superman...Dr Doom's Fearfall adapted to the Joker or Lex Luthor...the mind boggles! :woohoo:

LOTR would be a huge coup for either company. I'd love to see it at any of the parks, regardless of whether it fit or not. As far as I'm concerned, they could wedge into WS, and staff it with hobbits!

Whereas I'm not a Trek fan, I do admit the new movie was very well done, and even I enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

DCTooTall
09-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree about Six Flags not doing Batman (or any of the other characters) justice. I'd love it if the Marvel characters transferred to Disney, and the DC characters were aquired by Universal. How hard would it really be to re-theme MSI? Just think: A Batman overlay for Spider-Man...Hulk given a red and blue paintjob for Superman...Dr Doom's Fearfall adapted to the Joker or Lex Luthor...the mind boggles! :woohoo:

LOTR would be a huge coup for either company. I'd love to see it at any of the parks, regardless of whether it fit or not. As far as I'm concerned, they could wedge into WS, and staff it with hobbits!

Whereas I'm not a Trek fan, I do admit the new movie was very well done, and even I enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

Well... as someone said in one of the many other threads on this subject on the DIS.....

"I Think LOTR already has a theme park.... Only i think they call it New Zealand. "

;)

damo
09-22-2011, 08:23 AM
This sums up my feelings exactly.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/os-mike-thomas-disney-avatar-092211-20110921,0,5826653.column

nytimez
09-22-2011, 08:50 AM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/os-mike-thomas-disney-avatar-092211-20110921,0,5826653.column

I find it offensive that the author of that piece is calling a jungle tribe -- even if it's an alien jungle tribe -- "monkeys."

damo
09-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I find it offensive that the author of that piece is calling a jungle tribe -- even if it's an alien jungle tribe -- "monkeys."

If it was a documentary about an actual jungle tribe, then I might agree with you.

nytimez
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
If it was a documentary about an actual jungle tribe, then I might agree with you.

Like I said, I know they're not real people. But it still rubs me the wrong way.

minniejack
09-22-2011, 09:30 AM
all I could think of when I heard the announcement was: Oh, no...another Prince Caspian/Chronicles of Narnia "ride" ....:rolleyes1

Rip
09-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Wow, almost no one is impressed with the news.

mcjw2011
09-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not surprised Disney bought the theme park rights to Avatar, it's a perfectly logical way to try and get that sparkle back that IOA/US took away when the WWoHP opened last year. What better way to make theme park attractions from the highest-grossing movie in the world?

Plus, I think when Cameron was shopping the first film around to studios, Disney was interested in it when Fox didn't appear interested in it. They were going to make an offer to Cameron when Fox exercised its right of first refusal to keep Avatar and Cameron in-house.

But I'm surprised Disney isn't pushing to have these attractions completed and ready by the time Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 come out in 2014 or 2015 (yes, Cameron is writing & directing both of them).

nytimez
09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not surprised Disney bought the theme park rights to Avatar, it's a perfectly logical way to try and get that sparkle back that IOA/US took away when the WWoHP opened last year. What better way to make theme park attractions from the highest-grossing movie in the world?

Plus, I think when Cameron was shopping the first film around to studios, Disney was interested in it when Fox didn't appear interested in it. They were going to make an offer to Cameron when Fox exercised its right of first refusal to keep Avatar and Cameron in-house.

But I'm surprised Disney isn't pushing to have these attractions completed and ready by the time Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 come out in 2014 or 2015 (yes, Cameron is writing & directing both of them).

I think it would short-sighted to rush the project to get it done in time for a movie release.

They need something that will draw crowds and entertain guests for decades after the movies are done -- not something tied to a specific movie release.

DCTooTall
09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

I think it would short-sighted to rush the project to get it done in time for a movie release.

They need something that will draw crowds and entertain guests for decades after the movies are done -- not something tied to a specific movie release.

Not to mention it would be WAY too short of a timeline for a project of this scale to be done with any bit of quality. Perfect example is look at Disney's Fantasyland work. Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid have not changed at all since the initial version of the expansion. Ground was broken over a year ago, and we aren't looking at them opening until middle or late next year at the earliest.

So figure at LEAST 2 years for construction. Probably a bit more since this is an entire land from scratch. That would mean that in order to hit a 2014 or 2015 opening date they'd have to break ground next year......

The Deal was just completed...which means EVERYTHING is still blue sky. They haven't even decided on which plot of land to put it on, let alone how it will be laid out, how it will look, what kind of attractions, shows, restaurants, shops, etc it will contain.... or the details of those individual elements. While they may pull some concepts off the infamous shelf, it still takes time to tweak the ideas and make them shovel ready if you want anything beyond another Chester/Hesters carny.

So I am perfectly happen with a 2015/2016 opening date. It gives Disney time to do things right the first time.

keishashadow
09-22-2011, 03:33 PM

thanx for posting:thumbsup2i'm drooling over thought of exporing gringotts!

all I could think of when I heard the announcement was: Oh, no...another Prince Caspian/Chronicles of Narnia "ride" ....:rolleyes1
:laughing:
brings up the point that Narnia & Avatar both have overt religious overtones that could easily offend a good portion of their guests:confused3

Planogirl
09-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't see why people get so offended. I love the Narnia movies and I am not of that religious mindset. I respect other people's beliefs and I don't get offended unless they try to convert me.

nytimez
09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't see why people get so offended. I love the Narnia movies and I am not of that religious mindset. I respect other people's beliefs and I don't get offended unless they try to convert me.

Me too. I'm not religious. I get that Narnia is Christian allegory and some of it is quite heavy-handed. But a good story is a good story and I can enjoy it just the same -- and Narnia is a good story. The two films weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be, either... I enjoyed them both.

ChrisFL
09-22-2011, 09:13 PM

The Sum of All Thrills Kuka arm was NOT the one that Universal has exclusive rights for.

The one Universal has rights for is the 4-person one that can move along a track.

nytimez
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
The Sum of All Thrills Kuka arm was NOT the one that Universal has exclusive rights for.

The one Universal has rights for is the 4-person one that can move along a track.

So it's that specific? Could Disney use, say, a 5-person one that can move along a track?

Timmy Boy
09-22-2011, 10:13 PM
^Not sure. If Disney did take the robotic arm route, they'd have to deal with all the problems Universal is seeing with it. Long evacuation process, 48 inch height requirement, lockers and the seats don't accomodate everyone. I'm not saying Universal is bad, I love Universal. They took a huge step with FJ and it has turned heads towards their direction. It's just that Disney allows bags on everything, and it is known to have more size accommodating attractions.

Rip
09-23-2011, 12:21 AM

So there is a loophole.