PDA

View Full Version : FJ...Sick or not sick?

lukenick1
09-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Just wanted to take a poll on how many people actually got sick from this ride.

dcherry
09-19-2011, 09:03 AM
No for me or anyone in my family.

mesaboy2
09-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Me, never sick and never nauseous with no meds. Ridden 15-20 times.

DW, vomited once, nauseous maybe half the time, no meds. Ridden maybe 10 times.

Planogirl
09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
DS and I have not gotten sick on this ride. There is one lurching movement that makes my stomach say "hey!" very briefly but it goes away immediately.

xApril
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Nope, not sick for me. I never got any nausea. Sometimes I did get a headache or a bit dizzy from riding it too much though.

keishashadow
09-19-2011, 06:33 PM
didn't vote, felt sick reading all the things that could happen;)

i get motion sickness now & again but only time i start to get 'the feeling' on that ride is when dementor appears. Even 1st time I rode it, as soon as I recognized the trigger, I just did diverted eyes & fixed gaze on spot near floor of car just until that part passed. Never a problem for me as long as i keep eyes open. I do the same during certain parts of simpsons & spiderman, but still able to enjoy repeat rides as long as i stick to my program.:thumbsup2

lukenick1
09-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Bump...please vote!

damo
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
With meds I am fine. Without meds I feel sick but not enough to vomit.

macraven
09-19-2011, 11:53 PM
no meds
no sickness
felt fine and did repeats on the ride.

Seeker615
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I always take Bonine (meclizine) before going to any theme park.

I rode FJ about 9 times and never got sick.

jessrose18
09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
took bonine all week, rode first thing in morning, felt sick the rest of the day... closed my eyes during the last part too.... it's too bad cause then i didnt get to try the dueling dragons coaster.. maybe next time i will try it again!

Marvin123
09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Sick as a dog even with medication :lmao: Rode at 8pm and effects lasted all of next day. Mind you I suffer badly from motion sickness and everyone else was fine (DH, DD15 and DS12). Still glad I did it though :thumbsup2

mcjw2011
09-20-2011, 03:20 PM
When I first saw the line, I thought it would make me sick. I rode it, it was exhilarating and never at once did I get sick or nauseous. Two more rides on it solidified my opinion.

AARCLUKSCH
09-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Does Bonine cause "marked drowsiness"?

lukenick1
09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Does Bonine cause "marked drowsiness"?

It does for me and for 2 -3 days I feel drugged!

BrinkofSunshine
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
No meds, no sickness. But I've never been motion sick before.

I work at this ride, and I was told it's the most thrown up on ride in the park. If you plan to ride, try to avoid the seat on the far right. Usually the most spills are on that seat but it can of course happen in any seat. Also there's a trash can right at the unload station :thumbsup2

Melanie230
09-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Seasoned riders...compare this ride to The Simpsons ride motionwise. Is FJ a lot worse, about the same, or not as bad.

damo
09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Seasoned riders...compare this ride to The Simpsons ride motionwise. Is FJ a lot worse, about the same, or not as bad.

I find it about the same.

BrinkofSunshine
09-20-2011, 10:45 PM

It's different- the actual vehicle in FJ is moving a lot more than the Simpsons. Simpsons is on a stationary platform with more bumpy movements while FJ is a robotic arm on a track so it swings you around and puts you flat on your back. If screens are the biggest issue, you get a break from the screens in FJ while Simpsons you're always looking at a screen. As at attendant I'm told to say that FJ is like Simpsons or Spiderman, only more intense.

macraven
09-20-2011, 10:54 PM
every single time i have been on fj, i get the seat farthest on the right.

i am in the single rider line and i have never been seated anywhere else.

would like to try another seat but, the end right seat is better than nothing, or standing in line for a long time.

i have never checked out the seat for any....moisture....
maybe i should start doing that..:eek:

macraven
09-20-2011, 10:55 PM

have you not been on it yet?
i thought you have.

any way, you will enjoy it a lot.

aubriee
09-21-2011, 01:58 AM
I've ridden it multiple times since it's opened and have never gotten sick. I do take Meclizine every time though, because I know I'll be riding it over and over back to back using the single rider line. On the other hand, my husband who has never gotten sick an any amusement park ride gets nauseated every time he rides it, whether he takes the Meclizine or not.:rotfl::confused3 He rides it one time trying to prove to himself that he's not going to get sick this time, then after he rides it once, he waits until I get my fill of it.

This is a man who loves roller coaster and motion simulators. Spiderman and Simpsons don't phase him, but for some reason FJ throws him for a loop.

Melanie230
09-21-2011, 06:33 AM
have you not been on it yet?
i thought you have.

any way, you will enjoy it a lot.

No not yet. This is our first time seeing WWoHP completed. We haven't been to US/IOA since 2008.

mesaboy2
09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
No not yet. This is our first time seeing WWoHP completed. We haven't been to US/IOA since 2008.

Please report back how you liked it!

illuminatedillusions
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I love this ride and went on it many times yesterday morning and didn't feel sick. The Dueling Dragons nearly made me sick though and I only went on each of them once.

lukenick1
09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Can anyone compare this ride to Dinosaur at AK? Is it as rough a ride? Which is rougher? FJ or Dinosaur. I was ok on dinosaur but am worried about FJ.

damo
09-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Can anyone compare this ride to Dinosaur at AK? Is it as rough a ride? Which is rougher? FJ or Dinosaur. I was ok on dinosaur but am worried about FJ.

FJ is much smoother than Dinosaur. However, there is a ton of movement in FJ. You are continually moving but the motion is very smooth. There is no jerking or jolting around.

CookieMueller
09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
This is the only ride I've ever gotten sick on. I didn't vomit but my nausea was so bad I had to leave the park. And I've rode every ride/coaster at Universal, Busch Gardens, Disney World and Sea World with no problem. Maybe I'm just getting old lol

Sehsun
09-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I chose the option of Not sick but took meds, as that was closest option for me.

I often eat ginger candy right before I get on the ride (around the Sorting Hat part of the queue). I had read some threads about FJ causing motion sickness, and I didn't want to take my chances. Have never had a problem on FJ with the ginger candy.

There was one time that I didn't take the ginger candy and rode it. I may have noticed slight dizziness, but it didn't bother me - maybe for like a few seconds. Perhaps it was more anxiety of getting sick than actually being sick.

lukenick1
09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I chose the option of Not sick but took meds, as that was closest option for me.

I often eat ginger candy right before I get on the ride (around the Sorting Hat part of the queue). I had read some threads about FJ causing motion sickness, and I didn't want to take my chances. Have never had a problem on FJ with the ginger candy.

There was one time that I didn't take the ginger candy and rode it. I may have noticed slight dizziness, but it didn't bother me - maybe for like a few seconds. Perhaps it was more anxiety of getting sick than actually being sick.

What kind of ginger candy? I would be interested in trying that. I too am thinking that the anxiety is what's going to make me sick however, I do get nauseous watching home video's. :sick:

Sehsun
09-23-2011, 06:50 PM
What kind of ginger candy? I would be interested in trying that. I too am thinking that the anxiety is what's going to make me sick however, I do get nauseous watching home video's. :sick:

I like this (http://www.amazon.com/Ting-Jehe-Chewy-Ginger-Candy/dp/B000JKRPGS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1316821416&sr=8-6) brand. It's chewy - the wrapper sticks to the candy a bit, so it may be a little hard to unwrap it if left in a warm location. I bought mine from Amazon.com, but it may be possible to find it at an Asian grocery store as well if there is one in your area.

I hope you find something that works for you and that you will be able to enjoy the ride! :goodvibes

lukenick1
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I like this (http://www.amazon.com/Ting-Jehe-Chewy-Ginger-Candy/dp/B000JKRPGS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1316821416&sr=8-6) brand. It's chewy - the wrapper sticks to the candy a bit, so it may be a little hard to unwrap it if left in a warm location. I bought mine from Amazon.com, but it may be possible to find it at an Asian grocery store as well if there is one in your area.

I hope you find something that works for you and that you will be able to enjoy the ride! :goodvibes

Thank you....one more thing. Do they taste good or do they burn?

Sehsun
09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you....one more thing. Do they taste good or do they burn?

They taste pretty good to me (I like these better than a Trader Joe's brand I tried once), but it is a little spicy.

librarygeek
09-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I didn't feel sick, and I'm usually prone to motion sickness and I get car sick and stuff. However, I do feel a little dizzy afterward and have a feeling that if I were to ride it again right away I would probably get sick. Last time I was there we were with someone who vomited afterward, but I think he may have had a few too many beers that afternoon which may have been the real cause of the problem :rolleyes1

mickeysmith
09-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I like this brand. It's chewy - the wrapper sticks to the candy a bit, so it may be a little hard to unwrap it if left in a warm location. I bought mine from Amazon.com, but it may be possible to find it at an Asian grocery store as well if there is one in your area.

Perfect advice! I just ordered some. Last time we went, my friend and I took nausea meds and about fell asleep in the greenhouse! Turns out after many FJ rides later, I never needed it. My husband is going for the first time this year, so I will have these handy! He is my tough, construction-worker husband who gets green on the tea cups! I better be prepared!

kamabet
09-25-2011, 11:41 AM
This is the only ride that is making me a little leery to ride it. I really don't want to come off sick. :sick:

lilpooh108
09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Felt pretty sick afterwards and sat in the Owlery, next to a girl that I didn't know who was also sick. We both sat there, pale faced. Hehe, very attractive. Next time I will take Dramamine.

cheap traveler
09-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I will be riding this for the first time on Saturday, so I will come back and vote next week.

What I am wondering is, if I start to feel sick, should I just close my eyes or try to look somewhere inside the car? Will this help me feel better, with all the motion still going on? I am OK on the tea cups (once), I am OK on Soarin, as long as I didn't eat a few minutes earlier. One ride on Body Wars back in '98 ruined my whole day (and I was only 15), and I can't handle Star Tours.

Just thinking about riding has my stomach on knots, but I HAVE to ride. I mean, it's HP, and I'm leaving my children home and flying all the way to Florida just for WWOHP. How could I not ride? :rotfl:

BTW, bonine will be my best friend all weekend.

lukenick1
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I will be riding this for the first time on Saturday, so I will come back and vote next week.

What I am wondering is, if I start to feel sick, should I just close my eyes or try to look somewhere inside the car? Will this help me feel better, with all the motion still going on? I am OK on the tea cups (once), I am OK on Soarin, as long as I didn't eat a few minutes earlier. One ride on Body Wars back in '98 ruined my whole day (and I was only 15), and I can't handle Star Tours.

Just thinking about riding has my stomach on knots, but I HAVE to ride. I mean, it's HP, and I'm leaving my children home and flying all the way to Florida just for WWOHP. How could I not ride? :rotfl:

Can't wait to hear back from you. I felt sick on Simpsons but just closed my eyes and was fine. I am very scared to ride this ride though. More worried about it triggering my vertigo by tipping me back. I get dizzy looking up at an airplane in the sky sometimes. I would love to be able to use Bonine for this ride but it wipes me out for days. I feel drugged. I wonder if some caffeine would help with that?

damo
09-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Closing your eyes will work. I close my eyes right after the Whomping Willow and then open them right after I hear, "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". That makes you miss the simulated action in the quidditch pitch. I never get sick at all if I do this. It is the simulated parts that make me sick. There are three simulated parts (not including the short floo network parts). I find closing my eyes for the middle simulated part is enough to stop the motion sickness. You may want to close your eyes for the last part too.

goofyintoronto
09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I find it about the same.>>>> I agree. The rides itself are different, but I get equally sick on both.

What kind of ginger candy? I would be interested in trying that. I too am thinking that the anxiety is what's going to make me sick however, I do get nauseous watching home video's. :sick:>>I took a ginger pill made by the makers of gravol. you take it 30 min before the ride, its suppose to last all day. This helped me a lot im sure. Dont get me wrong, I got nauseous still. But I would have been much worse if i didnt take the pill. The year prior i didnt take a pill and went on the simpsons ride, and i got much more sick. So it does work. But for me, only worked about 80% if that makes sense?

:)

kate_wdw
09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
My experience didn't fit into any of the categories listed above. I didn't take meds, was extremely nauseous but didn't throw up; however, I had to keep my eyes closed for almost all of the ride because I felt like I was on the verge of throwing up.

While I sometimes get nauseous from attractions involving simulated motion (e.g., Star Tours), I have never felt close to throwing up before. And I love/have no problem with roller coasters and thrill rides. But the combination of real + simulated herky jerky movement did me in big time.

I recently watched a video of FJ on youtube so I'd know what I missed. I don't think that I'd ever attempt this ride again.

lukenick1
09-29-2011, 08:56 PM
:)

Can you give me more info on that ginger pill?

tekoa
09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
NOT sick, I LOVE FJ. Rode it 5 times this week. Twice on Sunday and 3 times in a row on Tuesday. Took advantage of the single rider line. I actually think that it is kind of relaxing. I sit back with my head back, cross my legs at the ankles and enjoy the ride. It is brilliant. FYI, all five times I was in the far right seat. The last ride the seat had what looked like a small puddle of water on it. I did not think twice about it at the time, but after reading these posts, EWWWW!!!! LOL

damo
09-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Can you give me more info on that ginger pill?

They are only available in Canada.

http://gravol.ca/en/products/natural-source/gravol%C2%AE-natural-source-ginger-filmkote%C2%AE-tablets/

Seeker615
09-30-2011, 12:31 PM
I take the Bonine and never feel tired or drowsy. In fact I took two the first day we were at IOA and had no issues with motion sickness or drowsiness.

Another tip for riding is to make sure you sit totally back in your seat and keep you head up against the headrest.

DISdreamin'
10-01-2011, 07:09 AM
My experience didn't fit into any of the categories listed above. I didn't take meds, was extremely nauseous but didn't throw up; however, I had to keep my eyes closed for almost all of the ride because I felt like I was on the verge of throwing up.

While I sometimes get nauseous from attractions involving simulated motion (e.g., Star Tours), I have never felt close to throwing up before. And I love/have no problem with roller coasters and thrill rides. But the combination of real + simulated herky jerky movement did me in big time.

I recently watched a video of FJ on youtube so I'd know what I missed. I don't think that I'd ever attempt this ride again.
This was me, totally. I was sweating when I got off that ride and spent at least the last half of it with my eyes closed most of the time, chanting to myself silently: do not hurl, do not hurl. Least fun ride of my life, and I love coasters and motion simulators!

FWIW, I TOTALLY didn't expect to have any issues with this ride. That first twinge of my tummy was quite the shock, and it only got worse from there.

proud_canadian
10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
I felt TERRIBLE from expedition everest... and occasionally feel dizzy/nausous if a roller coaster has a lot of inversions. And definitly can't do spinny rides. Simulators are ok if they aren't too intense or long. Sometimes by the end I feel a bit off.

I never take gravol (Is that Canadian only??) because it makes me feel drugged and asleep.

We did a baby swap as we had our 4 year old DD with us. DH went first and while waiting I saw a man come off and he was like "wow, that was a nightmare, I felt like I was going to vomit the whole time." I almost didn't go after seeing that but did anyways.

I felt fine. A few times I felt a slight twinge, but nothing major. One thing I noticed though is that there is no break. Even in between the simulator portions, you are still whipping around all over the place. I did sit fully back and put my head back as well. I am glad I went!

For what it's worth DD7 rode twice in a row, once with DH and once with me, and was completely fine as well. It was her favorite ride!

bumbershoot
10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
I've ridden something like 4 times now.

The very first time was when I was already exhausted and getting sick from a long and freezing-cold trip (last December), and I was absolutely GREEN from it. But I had closed my eyes as soon as I saw the first arachnid, and that's when the nausea started. As soon as the nausea eased a few hours later, I went on Spiderman, and that did me in for a whole day. 2 days later, however, I rode Spiderman and I was just fine.

On our recent trip, I rode it again, as my son wanted to go and needed info on when the spiders were showing up. DH can't fit yet, so I had to go. Our first time through I was absolutely fine. I didn't close my eyes. I thought that was the difference.

I rode another time...felt nauseous that time. I hadn't closed my eyes or done anything different.

And the last time I rode, I was absolutely fine! Again, nothing different.

So I have NO conclusions at all. Sometimes I'm fine and others I'm not. :3dglasses

Fantasmic23
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
There is one lurching movement that makes my stomach say "hey!" very briefly but it goes away immediately.

Oh, I know that movement! ;)

cheap traveler
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM

I am back. Rode FJ once on Saturday (10/1) afternoon, probably 2 hours after lunch. I tried to keep my eyes open at first, but once the motion simulator parts really got going, I had to close my eyes. I peeked a few times so I didn't miss the other parts, and I was glad I did (it was great). I was a bit dizzy and nauseaus when I got off, but it wasn't very bad at all. I've been dizzy for no reason at all at home lately, so this was fine. Also, I took 2 Bonine at 8:30 am, so that could have helped.

I had to close my eyes for most of the Simpson's ride, and a good portion of Spiderman.

For anyone who is worried, I would suggest you close your eyes for the simulator parts and think about taking some meds if you tolerate them well.

But, if you don't want to risk it, the castle tour is great! And you can ask them to let you go a little farther down so you can see the sorting hat too (I got a great picture of it)

lukenick1
10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I am back. Rode FJ once on Saturday (10/1) afternoon, probably 2 hours after lunch. I tried to keep my eyes open at first, but once the motion simulator parts really got going, I had to close my eyes. I peeked a few times so I didn't miss the other parts, and I was glad I did (it was great). I was a bit dizzy and nauseaus when I got off, but it wasn't very bad at all. I've been dizzy for no reason at all at home lately, so this was fine. Also, I took 2 Bonine at 8:30 am, so that could have helped.

I had to close my eyes for most of the Simpson's ride, and a good portion of Spiderman.

For anyone who is worried, I would suggest you close your eyes for the simulator parts and think about taking some meds if you tolerate them well.

But, if you don't want to risk it, the castle tour is great! And you can ask them to let you go a little farther down so you can see the sorting hat too (I got a great picture of it)

Thanks for your review....I'm still petrified it will ruin the rest of my vacation. Ugh! I hate vertigo! If I took 2 bonine I would have to be pushed around the park on a stretcher....:lmao: