PDA

View Full Version : Scouting with the Dads

DisneyDadC
09-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Ok I have been wanting to start this thread for a bit now.I have noticed a lot of us seem to be scout leaders. So I figured we could have a thread here to share our wisdom.
Everyone can post a little bio about themselves and maybe the experienced guys could help out drop some tips for the newer ones. It will be cool to hear about others do thing etc.

DisneyDadC
09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
we will reserve this just in case for future popcorn::

DisneyDadC
09-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I will start off: I am a first yr leader.I am den leader for the wolfs.I have a son as a wolf and an older one as webelos.Last yr was both of my sons first yr in cub scouts,I kinda helped out where I could and I guess thats why they asked me to help out with the pack this yr.I took the basic training courses online (youth proctection ,leader spec etc).I took the first half of the outdoor leader training and have the second half to go in Oct. I plan on doing as much as I can and being as active with the scouts as possible.
Look forward to seeing who else here does scouts and how far along they are. I also intrested in seeing how active other troups are and compare things. Well off for now hope to see many more replies to this thread.:thumbsup2

DisDadDoc
09-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for starting this, Carl! Great idea!

I've got two boys in scouts, a 5th grade Webelos 2 & a 6th grade (soon to be) 2nd Class Boy Scout.

Both boys have been in it since third graders. I've been Popcorn Kernel of our Pack since my oldest 2nd year (& now Kernel of my Troop), summer camping chair for 2 years, Committee Chair of my Pack for 2 years, & Co-Den Leader of our Webelos 2. I've done Baloo, Owl, etc training was supposed to do Wood Badge this fall, but have to wait until next year thanks to hurricaine Irene

As I've posted before, I've been pretty unhappy with the leadership of my Troop. I spent 2 weeks at camp with the boys this summer, one with the Troop & one with the Pack. The amount of adult supervision & bullying/hazing was appalling (other parents words, not mine, I've been careful to call it "relational aggression"). I've met with the the scoutmaster, the Troop committee & the council of the BSA and have they've been receptive to my suggestions, but I have yet to see significant positive improvement. The real problem is that the Troop has unbelievably weak Assistant Scoumasters, & with 83 scouts, our scoutmaster (who is fabulous) can only do so much. I've offered to tale over as Committee Chair for the Troop. Our current Committe Chair hasn't had a boy in scouting in 3 years. I'm still waiting to hear back, but I'm not optimistic

Most recently, my Pack's Old Scoutmaster (who joined another local Troop) has contacted us about having Den Chiefs from this rival Troop. Need to decide what to do. I'm inclined to accept his Den Chiefs & to have den chiefs from 2 packs. As it stands now, I'm going to have a really hard time recommending the current Troop to any of our Webelos.

Going to be a tough year. Camped last night with the Troop & there was lots of bullying (which I stopped), but none of the Assistant Scoutmasters even came to the campout (& two of their sons are the biggest bullies so doubt they'd be much help...)

DisDadDoc
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
And in honor of talk like a pirate day, today I took another step on my path toward mutiny in my town's scouting program. Tonight, my Pack's Cubmaster from last year (who refused to cross over into the town Troop because of the environment there and joined a neighboring town's Troop) and I are meeting over a beer to discuss starting a new Troop in town. pirate:

afwdwfan
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I never was in scouts, although i think it is a great program and I'm glad I'm getting the opportunity to learn a bit about it from the DIS Dad's... especially having a son who might have some interest in scouts in a few years.:thumbsup2

And in honor of talk like a pirate day, today I took another step on my path toward mutiny in my town's scouting program. Tonight, my Pack's Cubmaster from last year (who refused to cross over into the town Troop because of the environment there and joined a neighboring town's Troop) and I are meeting over a beer to discuss starting a new Troop in town. pirate:

Shouldn't you be meeting over some rum? :confused3

Good luck! I hope you can work together and get something positive accomplished.

The Disney Fanatic
09-21-2011, 02:49 AM
My troop will have it's first Court of Honor in October. I would love to hear ideas of how to conduct the ceremony. :confused3

DisDadDoc
09-21-2011, 09:24 AM
My troop will have it's first Court of Honor in October. I would love to hear ideas of how to conduct the ceremony. :confused3

Ours have always been like a potluck dinner. We either do desserts or a full meal and then have the boys come up in front and get their new rank patches and merit badges. If you google "Scout Court of Honor" a bunch of resources (like blank programs templates, and scripts, etc) come up.

Good luck!

My meeting didn't go so well. The old Cubmaster couldn't be convinced to leave his new Troop. Something about his wife would kill him :confused3 And his son really enjoying the new Troop (which is a pretty good reason!)

So, it looks like I'm back in the same boat. Continue to stick it out in my current Troop and trying to make it better, while waiting to decide whether to jump ship to another Troop when my son crosses over or starting a new Troop. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out for other potential partners in a new troop. I may need to step up as Scoutmaster of a new Troop, which I could do, but I couldn't do it alone and I'd need to find a strong Committee Chair.

DisneyDadC
09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
camping trip in two weeks was canceled.I hate when this happens wonder why???? My kids (and the big kid in myself) were looking forward to this.

DisDadDoc
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM
camping trip in two weeks was canceled.I hate when this happens wonder why???? My kids (and the big kid in myself) were looking forward to this.

You could come camping with us! Simsbury Community Farm on Saturday October 8th.

I was just shopping for a new camp stove... I make a mean camp omelet!

wasnotafan
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I did the cubscouts/Weblos/Explorer thing many years ago. Looking for options for my son and daughter. No cub packs and the only brownie troop meets from 3:10-4:00 and my daughter doesn't even get out back to town from school until 4:15. Not really wanting one more thing to do and there aren't that many kids around but we may end up starting our own if we have to do it.:headache: My other option is just do what I unofficially until I can sign them up for Civil Air Patrol in a couple of years.

DisneyDadC
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
You could come camping with us! Simsbury Community Farm on Saturday October 8th.

I was just shopping for a new camp stove... I make a mean camp omelet!

Eggs in a bag???? thats what our kids do. Fast clean and no mess.

DisneyDadC
09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Chris, Did you guys find out where you are staying when you go to Gettysburg???

DisDadDoc
09-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Yes!! :thumbsup2

Chris, Did you guys find out where you are staying when you go to Gettysburg???

No, not yet. And they moved it from Columbus Day weekend to Oct 28-30th. My daughter's birthday is Halloween so I may not get to go now. Would really like to, though! I'll see how much grief it'll cost me.

DisDadDoc
09-24-2011, 10:15 AM
WISDOM NEEDED FROM THE GROUP

Guys,

I've droned on and on about my trials with our scout troop here before, and now I'd like some advice. I received the following email from our Scoutmaster last night. After finishing laughing and resisting the temptation to respond immediately, I've put extensive thought into this, and I'm pretty sure how I'm going to respond (really no differently that my previous discussions with this guy, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well. Plus it'll give me an opportunity to vent without doing it publically.

Hi Chris --

I heard indirectly ... at least 3rd hand ... that you remain very concerned about bullying among the boys in Troop [XXX]. I'd like to talk with you again on this topic.

How are we defining "bullying?" Do we think it's intentional?
Is there any pattern regarding who is doing the bullying and who is being bullied? Are there key offenders?
Can the Troop change the environment to eliminate this behavior?
Don't interpret this next question to mean that I don't care ... but, is the behavior outside of what's normal for boys? These guys may be Scouts, but they are not angels.
What kind of campaign can we undertake to bring awareness to this behavior, and influence change?
I think my Scoutmaster Minute last week about "being kind vs. being right" gets to the core of many unpleasant comments ... it got some good applause, any way!
I plan to regularly hit similar topics.

Years ago, Troop [XXX] had a reputation. I believe my efforts and those of other Troop leaders have largely corrected the situation. I don't think we have a big problem, just a problem that is typical when dealing with 11-17 year old boys. Nevertheless, it's a concern that always needs to be addressed. I am not blowing it off ... but would like to hear more of your concerns and ideas for an action plan.

Most of all, I would ask that you are sensitive to the grapevine in [town]. We focus a lot of energy on recruiting boys and parents into the Troop, and negative talk can undo a lot of hard work.

I hope your weekend at Gilwell is absolutely awesome. Let's find time to chat. Maybe some of the Wood Badge sessions will lead us to new solutions.

Bill

What do you think?

I posted this on the main thread, but I'm looking for some advice whereever I can find it!

DisneyDadC
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
How are we defining "bullying?" Do we think it's intentional?
Intentional or not it should not be happening
Can the Troop change the environment to eliminate this behavior?
Not sure environment change is answer,I am thinking better supervision would help more.
Don't interpret this next question to mean that I don't care ... but, is the behavior outside of what's normal for boys? These guys may be Scouts, but they are not angels.
I am sure most people know what is normal boy behavior and would not say there is bullying if it was normal behavior.

From reading rest of your post sounds to me like they dont really think there is an issue and they just want you to hush up about it.
I must have missed any posts you made about this so I am not exactly sure about the whole story behind this email.Is it your kid that is being bullied?? or is it something you see in general?? Cause I think this might effect the way I go about things. Cause one thing you have to think about is how will your actions effect the kids being bullied? will it make it better? or worse?
Also what authority do you have in troop will anything you say be followed by the troop?I know in my pack I might only be a den leader but if I see something I dont like, even in other dens I can and will step in to correct it. I dont know if anything I just said here helps you or your situation, but I am sure there is something that can be done to solve your issue.

DisDadDoc
09-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Intentional or not it should not be happening

:thumbsup2

Not sure environment change is answer,I am thinking better supervision would help more.

Exactly! Never once have I seen any coaching from his Assistant Scoutmasters!

I am sure most people know what is normal boy behavior and would not say there is bullying if it was normal behavior.

You would think. I think this is his way of saying that I don't know what I'm talking about...

From reading rest of your post sounds to me like they dont really think there is an issue and they just want you to hush up about it.

Exactly. That's my read, too.

I must have missed any posts you made about this so I am not exactly sure about the whole story behind this email. Is it your kid that is being bullied?? or is it something you see in general?? Cause I think this might effect the way I go about things. Cause one thing you have to think about is how will your actions effect the kids being bullied? will it make it better? or worse?

Fortunately, it is not my son being bullied. He has been by scouts in this troop, but not anymore. I always stay in the room with him, so there are easier targets than my son. This makes it easier for me, since I'm more of an objective observer.

Also what authority do you have in troop will anything you say be followed by the troop?I know in my pack I might only be a den leader but if I see something I dont like, even in other dens I can and will step in to correct it. I dont know if anything I just said here helps you or your situation, but I am sure there is something that can be done to solve your issue.

Again, you've hit it on the head. I'm not technically a leader in the Troop, so I have no authority. I've stepped in and told boys to cut it out before and have had them lie to my face that they weren't teasing a kid. Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster do NOTHING! Makes me furious!

Thanks for your insight, Carl! I really appreciate it! :thumbsup2

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 07:47 AM
My Scoutmasters Response. Thoughts? This is as close to "shut the f*ck up" as we get in Connecticut. Don't think it is going to have the effect that he desired...

Hi Chris --

You are asking that our boys behave at a higher standard because they are scouts. Uhh, Yeah, that is how scouts should be looked upon.OK, I agree with that objective. But, are current behaviors outside what is normal for 11-17 year old boys? Again maybe but they are scouts. You are expert in these areas, but my experience is that boys this age are not nice to each other. Then he is aware that things are happening and is saying that is just normal. Idiot. As we press the Scout Law, we are swimming against the current.And?? Isn't that the underlying foundation of Boy Scouts?

That doesn't mean that I am giving up. Yes it does. He said he was giving up by saying they are swimming against the current, basically saying just go with the flow. The trending flow hasn't looked very good to me and looks like too many in the past have pisssed in the stream. (sorry just my opinion) Just the opposite ... we press the Scout Law so that as boys mature it will be part of their make-up. And, maybe we help some boys mature earlier.

[District Trainer] ... have you met him? I doubt that he is the answer.well being you have and depending on your thoughts this could be of some leverage to you.

Let me know if you have other suggestions, observations, concerns. Yeah step up or step out.

Some people are just too hesitant to fight against the current that they don't see that the stream leads to the river, and the river to the lake. I just don't get it. And the fact that they apparently had a worse rep, when was this and who straightened it out? Sorry, Some people just rub me the wrong way and this guy would be one of them. I would just keep watching and suggesting to him. One of two things will happen. Either he will start to act just to get you off of his coat tails or maybe he will out you in a position that you have some say and can control what he can't. Of course there is the possibility that he may single your son out in which case your leverage would come in to use against him. Again just my opinion. Either way good luck with it.

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 07:55 AM
here is a post to your previous questions. I don't know if you saw it or not.

Ok, so we just moved to a new city and state. My son and I were involved in Cub Scouts last year (Tiger/Bobcat) and I was Asst. Den Leader. Almost all Dad led...camping, woodworking, carpentry etc.
At his new school/pack/den..it seems to be all mom led??? I went to the first den mtg...we wore our uniforms as we were used to. It was about 6 moms and a couple of high schools girls leading the den mtg of about 12 boys. We were the only ones in scout apparel. There did not seem to be much personal interaction with the boys, just rotating them through stations to "accomplish" activities. I tried to hang back (to see how they did things/ don't want to step on any toes).
I was very disappointed....not with the moms, I'm glad they were leading. Where are the dads? My son also plays football and almost every dad is there for every practice T/Th 5:30-6:30 and games on Sat. Not one other dad bothered to take his son to scouts on a sunday afternoon!?
What are y'alls thoughts?
I am more than happy to try to help the den, but not real comfortable being the only dad. I'm also not sure all the Leaders/helper s are certified/youth protection etc.(high school girls) I can do alot of the activities with my son outside of the meetings, but this so different than we were used to.

Any scouting DisDads...advice?
Thanks for the chance to vent.

I would do what you did. Sit back for a meeting or two at the most. I also would find out who your district director is and speak with him. Ask questions but don't say, "well we did it this way." So ask questions and make suggestions. See how the pack meetings are. If they are just the same then I would defiantly talk to the district director. They should, but may not be aware of the situation. My oldest boy joined as a tiger last year. I became his den leader. Now this year my youngest son is in it. I am his den leader. My wife is our older sons leader. I have also now become the Cubmaster. There was lots of unorganization and we haven't been a quality pack for the last several years. I hope to change that. I talked with our district director and he knew a little bit about how things were going but not all of it. We were actually losing scouts to the unorganization. Also you may want to talk to your charter organization and see what they have to say.

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Ok, Quick Bio....
I was in scouts when I was younger. My oldest son started in tigers last year. I was his leader. He moved forward to 2nd grade after the first quarter. I talked with the council about him continuing with his Tiger and then also working on his wolf. They said if we wanted to do that, it would be ok. So we did. This year I handed off my now wolves to one of the parents in that group. My oldest is in bears. My youngest is now in tigers. I am the Tiger leader again this year.

We have been loosing scouts and from what i have counted we have lost another 3 or 4 this year because of (from what they have told me) our cubmaster. So they wanted a new cubmaster and since I did a good job of running things while he recovered from his car accident they suggested I do that. Long story short I am now also the cubmaster. I don't know if it is just coincidence or if it is me taking over, but, Last year we had 7 new tigers. This year I am looking at having 14 and I keep getting phone calls. Mind you we are a booming town of 1300 people. We have added 2 to the wolves, 1 to the bears, 1 to the webelo I, and 2 to the webelo II. And that has been in the last week. I just took over as cubmaster two weeks ago. I have heard now that the old cubmaster isn't the cubmaster that a couple of the 4 that dropped may come back now. We will see.

There is a lot more to the story but we will leave it at that. So any hints, tips, or things that you may have done are all accepted as i will need all the help i can get. I am sure i will have plenty of questions as I already do, but i will ask later.

RobOnDisney
09-26-2011, 08:42 AM
My quick Scouts bio--

As a kid did Webelos through Venture. Stopped doing ranks at Star, frankly I just wanted to backpack and not worry about Merit Badges. Did High Adventure at Lenhoksin Trails.

As a dad I have been an Asst Leader for my son as a Tiger and now again as a Webelos. OurPack is not the best in the world, just trying to get him through Webs and into Boy Scouts.

RobOnDisney
09-26-2011, 08:50 AM
We have been loosing scouts and from what i have counted we have lost another 3 or 4 this year because of (from what they have told me) our cubmaster. So they wanted a new cubmaster and since I did a good job of running things while he recovered from his car accident they suggested I do that. Long story short I am now also the cubmaster. I don't know if it is just coincidence or if it is me taking over, but, Last year we had 7 new tigers. This year I am looking at having 14 and I keep getting phone calls. Mind you we are a booming town of 1300 people. We have added 2 to the wolves, 1 to the bears, 1 to the webelo I, and 2 to the webelo II. And that has been in the last week. I just took over as cubmaster two weeks ago. I have heard now that the old cubmaster isn't the cubmaster that a couple of the 4 that dropped may come back now. We will see.

You're doing an amazing job!

I was on tap to be Cubmaster of our old Pack, but got the boot from a few senior parents. At the time we lived in a heavy liberal area, which is fine we loved the people and the community, just kept quiet about politics. When word got out that I worked in the Bush Administration (which at the time I kept very quiet) the Pack leadership kindly told me they did not need me to take over, they did not agree with my politics (by the way many of the Bush policies that they did not like during their soapbox rant I actually agreed with them on!)

Really annoyed me. Politics has no place in Scouting or frankly any organization focused on helping our kids just become better, more well rounded people-- and this coming from a guy who actually does politics for a living!

stopher1
09-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey Chris, thanks for starting this thread. I wasn't aware of it until I saw a link to it on the primary DDC thread, but then, I haven't been on the boards much in the past few weeks anyway.

As many know from the prior DDC threads, I am very involved in Scouting.

Both of my sons are Scouts. My eldest is a LIFE Scout, and has now completed all of his required 21 MB's, and is working on his project planning. He'll be doing a project with our church. Once he finishes that, he'll be eligible for this Eagle Board! :cool1: He first joined Scouts as a Bear.

My younger son is a STAR, and is projecting to be able to attain LIFE by December. He first joined Scouts as a Tiger.

I only got to go through Bear as a kid. My dad didn't see the value of the program, and so he wouldn't let me re-register as a Webelo. I'm very sad about that, but have been having a ball enjoying being a Scouter. I LOVE making a difference in the life of these young men.

I am an Assistant Scoutmaster. I also hold the following roles:

TROOP
Summer Camp Director (annually we take 75-90 boys and about 30 adults to Ransburg Scout Reservation near Bloomington, IN)
ScoutParent Unit Coordinator
Adult Activities Coordinator
Mug Club Coordinator

OTHER
Asst Council Commissioner
Firecrafter Ember Associate Advisor (Firecrafter is a local program, similar but different from the OA - it is an honor camping fraternity found only in Indiana, parts of Illinois, and a wee bit of Texas). I can share more about the awesome Firecrafter program later - but I will say that back in the 40's when National was trying to decide what kind of a program to have as their national honor society, Firecrafter and the O.A. were both in consideration, and the local folks discouraged National from choosing Firecrafter, as they wanted to keep it special, and not let it lose its uniqueness. One of the primary differences between the O.A. and Firecrafter - is that entry into one program depends upon an election, and the other depends completely on personal achievement.

I am an Arrowmen within the O.A., will be eligible for Brotherhood next April.
I am a Firecrafter
I am a Wood Badger - Fox patrol

I was extremely honored in August to serve as Master of Ceremonies for the Eagle Court of Honor for one of our guys. And not only that, but he gave me an "Eagle Mentor" pin. I have personally mentored 4 of our Eagles, and am mentoring 2 of our potential Eagles.

I really enjoy the Troop, and the program. We don't have bullying issues within our Troop, and it sickens me to read about those Troops that do (and those guys who dropped out of the program because it happened to them, and subsequently don't want anything to do with the program).

I have applied for the 2013 National Jamboree at the Summit, but am waiting to hear if I am selected to go with our Council's contingent as one of the Asst. Scoutmasters. The Council picked the 6 SM's for our contingent just this past Friday, and the ASM's are supposed to be picked by the end of this week. BOTH of my boys were approved to go, so that's cool. This will be their one and only opportunity to go to a Jambo, as both will have aged out before the next one comes around in 2017 (the last time in 2010 my younger son was still in Cubs and not eligible, and my older son wasn't interested... HE SURE IS NOW though!). I'm HOPING that all 3 of us will be able to go.

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Well I know where I will be directing some questions now.....

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
so what kind of events do you guys do throughout the year. I ask because all we do right now is Rain gutter regatta, Pinewood derby, and a one week summer camp. I need more ideas. Let me hear 'em.

DisDadDoc
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
so what kind of events do you guys do throughout the year. I ask because all we do right now is Rain gutter regatta, Pinewood derby, and a one week summer camp. I need more ideas. Let me hear 'em.

For our Pack, outside of the Pack and Den meetings, we try to have a least one fun inside and one fun outside activity per month. We go heavy in the fall to hook them, and then lighten up in the winter and spring. We don't expect everyone to attend everything.

For this September we had a hike last Sunday afternoon after our 1st Pack meeting on Thursday.

This coming weekend is a long weekend so we have nothing planned.

2nd weeked in October, a camp-out

3rd weekend in October, Friday night movie night in the school cafeteria (popcorn and way more candy than they should have). Then Sunday afternoon hike again.

4th weekend in October, sleepover at Air Museum

1st weekend in November, Scout day at Sturbridge Village

2nd weekend in November, fall clean-up of our sponsoring church

3th weekend in Novermber, Friday night movie night.

We'll do another movie night in December, and an indoor sleepover in January or February. We may or may not be in our District Chuck Wagon Derby, Klondike Derby or District Camporee. I hope so! Depends on volunteers...

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Holy sweet mother of Beverly... You guys do a lot. :thumbsup2 Kudos.
I see we have a lot to work on. What kind of activities do you guys do during the den and pack meetings?

DisDadDoc
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Holy sweet mother of Beverly... You guys do a lot. :thumbsup2 Kudos.
I see we have a lot to work on. What kind of activities do you guys do during the den and pack meetings?

Thanks! But it's taken us a few years to get to this level.

I'm Committee Chair right now, and my Cubmaster and I have a great working relationship. He handles all the program stuff for the Pack meetings, and I round up people to plan/help run these activities.

In the last few years, in order to make the experience more uniform, the BSA rolled out a program guide book for Den and Pack meetings. Your district should be able to provide you with a copy. Also, districts should have monthly "Roundtables" where they review potential themes, plans. It is really nice so you don't have to re-invent the wheel with each Pack/Den. Look at your district website and email or call the District Executive. They are a paid person whose job is help you.

Good luck!

Chris

Bo Duke
09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Well that just goes to show how far i have to come with this troop. Last year our "committee" was the cubmaster and I....(crickets). Yep and there was even one meeting last year I was the only one to show up. The cubmaster forgot about it. They have people signed up for the committee member positions, but they told them they didn't have to do anything, they just needed their name to put in the position to remain a valid pack. :headache: I just found this out about 3 weeks ago. We have not been a quality unit for at least the past 4 years, I aim to change that. They just got everyone child protection trained, (and they half beverlied that). I was looking through the roster and noticed people who were not there are now trained on that date.? Lots of things to turn around that is for sure. The biggest hurdle is getting enough money to do things to get this stuff turned around and more events planned. It should be an interesting year.

stopher1
09-28-2011, 07:05 AM

Your boys have lots to look forward to when they get older and into a Troop. They will be able to do so much more than in the Cubs. We have a LOT of fun. But we are also a large, very well established Troop (83+ years since it was chartered).

We are most definitely a camping Troop, with at least one camping activity every month of the year. We don't stop Scouting during the non-school months, but rather only skip meetings between Christmas / New Year's and on Memorial and Labor Day (we meet on Monday evenings). Other than that, we meet every week, and the boys put together an awesome program of events throughout the year. We are chartered through a church, vs. a school, so that could make a difference between doing Scouting all year through vs. stopping during the non-school months. But during the traditional summer or non-school months, we take our meetings outdoors, and meet at a local park instead. Then we have lots of outdoor skills instruction or games that we couldn't do inside (frisbee golf, orienteering, Troop-wide "Olympics", plant & tree identification, swim party, etc).

We do various things like on Chris' list, but we do a whole bunch more as well. In the past year, other than our District and Council camporees (spring, fall and winter), here are a few highlights that I can recall right now include:

- weekend camping / trip to Kings Island
- weekend camping / shooting skills (rifles, shotguns, etc)
- weekend camping / skiing, open & instruction for those who want it
- weekend camping / 25 mile bike ride
- weekend camping / mountain biking
- weekend camping / Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
- weekend camping / caving in southern Indiana
- weekend camping / tobbagan fun
- weekend camping / Scout Skills Instruction for New Scouts
- weekend camping / backpacking
- weekend camping / Wright Patterson Air Museum
- weekend camping / Chicago Museum of Science & Industry

- Summer Camp

- Overnight Lock-In - video games, movies, etc

On the current year's calendar, a few upcoming events include:

- Bowling / Pizza Party / Overnight Lock-In
- weekend camping / backpacking
- weekend camping / shooting (rifles, shotguns)
- weekend camping / St. Louis Cardinals game

and other events that I can't recall right now.

Bo Duke
09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Very cool. Sounds like a well oiled machine you have there. Our pack will be chartered for 50 years next July. (No one was aware of that either) We are chartered through our local American Legion so school shouldn't affect us too much other than (as far as i know) we haven't had a summer program for a while. I have heard this pack use to be close to 90 kids. Last year we were at about 22. So a major decline. We are up to 33 so far this year. I want to get us back up above 40 if we can. Then with that we would be able to afford to do more.

I asked our district rep if we would be able to accept donations from companies if they wanted and was told no. So that put a damper on some plans. They want us to do everything off of popcorn sales monies. Which again there isn't much enthusiasm for. So our fundraising efforts don't help at the moment. They seem to be a bit more excited so I hope we can get a better turn out for it.

Now you had mentioned you guys do rifle shooting. How do you get that approved. I was told the only time that kind of thing can be done is at the summer camp and then it is only bb guns and bow and arrows for the cubs. Just wondering.

Thank you for the ideas though. I am very grateful. I am taking notes..:thumbsup2

Bo Duke
09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
We are most definitely a camping Troop,

Ha ha missed that (even though you said troop several times in your post). That explains the shooting stuff. :rolleyes1

stopher1
09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Ha ha missed that (even though you said troop several times in your post). That explains the shooting stuff. :rolleyes1

Yes, quite true. There is a big difference between Pack & Troop... but I was sharing so that you see what kinds of things your boys might expect when they age through the program and cross over into the Boy Scouts.

Rifles & shotguns are definitely for 13+ boys. My boys did lots of bb's and archery in the Cubs as well. But not just there - my eldest loves archery so much, he earned his Archery Merit Badge during his 2nd week long Summer Camp trip with the Troop. My younger one hasn't done it yet, but wants to. We have our own bows, and a quiver of arrows, and they love to practice in the back yard. They have bb rifles too, and so we've got a bb range, in the yard. It's fun. I love doing that stuff with them.

Speaking of BB's - our Council (Crossroads of Amerca) is actually piloted a program this past summer that very well may be rolling out nationwide next year or the year after. Our Webelos Adventure Camp did away with bb's this year, and actually introduced Air Rifles instead. Indiana and Texas piloted it this year. The results aren't in just yet, but the word around town is that it will be going nationally soon. Now whether that means there will be an option for the Cubs to choose from, or if the air guns will just replace the bb's, I don't know... but it is interesting. Earlier in the spring, I actually helped build a new range at our local camp. The fence requirements are much different than for bb's. I helped build a new 48' x 10' fence.

Bo Duke
09-28-2011, 02:59 PM
They have bb rifles too, and so we've got a bb range, in the yard. It's fun. I love doing that stuff with them.

Speaking of BB's - our Council (Crossroads of Amerca) is actually piloted a program this past summer that very well may be rolling out nationwide next year or the year after. Our Webelos Adventure Camp did away with bb's this year, and actually introduced Air Rifles instead. Indiana and Texas piloted it this year. The results aren't in just yet, but the word around town is that it will be going nationally soon. Now whether that means there will be an option for the Cubs to choose from, or if the air guns will just replace the bb's, I don't know... but it is interesting. Earlier in the spring, I actually helped build a new range at our local camp. The fence requirements are much different than for bb's. I helped build a new 48' x 10' fence.

I would love to let my boys shoot more often but we live in town so it isn't legal to shoot them or bows. Not to mention the school property meets up with our back yard. I need to look into finding somewhere to shoot around here. The only place i know we can go for sure is to my dads and that is an hour away. Something closer would be great. I grew up on a farm and we were always shooting bb guns and rifles. I miss it.

Now by air rifles. You have me a bit lost. Isn't a bb rifle an air rifle?:confused3

Bo Duke
09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok so as I said I have a lot of questions. So here is another one.

I asked our district rep about accepting donations. He said we can't because of tax issues. He told me that even though we are part of a non-profit org. we are not the organization and therefor can not collect donations because of tax issues.

My question is, have any of you heard this or handled donations. Just curious.

Thanks ahead of time.

DisDadDoc
09-28-2011, 09:08 PM

I asked our district rep about accepting donations. He said we can't because of tax issues. He told me that even though we are part of a non-profit org. we are not the organization and therefor can not collect donations because of tax issues.

Thanks ahead of time.

I think that your district rep is probably both right and wrong about this. He's wrong that you can't accept tax deductable donations from donors. So, if someone wanted to make a big donation to your Pack (like maybe 5 tents for camping) and them try to deduct that later, they couldn't do it.

However, people donate things to Packs all the time. Leaders donate our time. I routinely buy snacks and supplies for my den (and so do the other leaders). People give us a dollar or two at Show N' Sells. You can't tell people that they can't help you out and no one expects to have these small donations be tax deductable. Maybe that's what he means. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a monetary limit that I'm not aware of. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Christopher!

As an aside, the District will also tell you that you can't break up the Microwave Popcorn Boxes at Show N Sells, too. But do it anyway when you're standing out in front of Walmart asking for support. Way easier to get someone to shell out $1 for a bag, then $16 for an 18 pack.

stopher1
09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I think that your district rep is probably both right and wrong about this. He's wrong that you can't accept tax deductable donations from donors. So, if someone wanted to make a big donation to your Pack (like maybe 5 tents for camping) and them try to deduct that later, they couldn't do it.

However, people donate things to Packs all the time. Leaders donate our time. I routinely buy snacks and supplies for my den (and so do the other leaders). People give us a dollar or two at Show N' Sells. You can't tell people that they can't help you out and no one expects to have these small donations be tax deductable. Maybe that's what he means. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a monetary limit that I'm not aware of. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Christopher!

Chris is absolutely correct. When our boys were at the Pack level, Walmart and other places donated to the Pack all the time - hotdogs or buns, or bug juice, or other "stuff". Anything that lots of organizations would just write off anyway for one reason or another. Now financial donations, yes, that is completely a different story - and the District Rep is absolutely correct. Chris hit the nail on the head. With more than 20,000 Packs and Troops around the United States alone - that would be a logisitical nightmare. The only kind of cash contributions (or anything with a large cash value that someone might want to get a deduction for) can ONLY go to the national Boy Scouts of America organization.

stopher1
09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Now by air rifles. You have me a bit lost. Isn't a bb rifle an air rifle?:confused3

They are - but apparently they're not. There is a difference to them - but I can't tell you what it is. It was explained to us when we were getting ready to build the fence I spoke of - but that was back in April, and I've slept a little since then.

Bo Duke
09-29-2011, 05:31 AM
However, people donate things to Packs all the time. Leaders donate our time. I routinely buy snacks and supplies for my den (and so do the other leaders). People give us a dollar or two at Show N' Sells. You can't tell people that they can't help you out and no one expects to have these small donations be tax deductable. Maybe that's what he means. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a monetary limit that I'm not aware of.

I am not sure if there is a limit. He just told me that business's were making donations to packs and writing the donation off. Then when the companies would get audited they would get in trouble.

This came up because we would like to get a new pinewood derby track and I wondered if a local business (car dealership) could make a donation toward it. It was something i saw online somewhere saying that is how the pack paid for theirs. So that is how that came up.
Thanks for the response.

DisDr.
10-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks ahead of time.

Could you just sell the busines X amout of popcorn?

DisDr.
10-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Went back for the next den mtg...much better this go 'round.

3 dads, 4 moms and much more organized.
I managed to become Asst. Den Leader, and will be planning a campout, several meeting activities for electives and a bicycle rodeo.

Thanks for the pointers... will be using y'all for help PRN.

AJRitz
10-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Chris is absolutely correct. When our boys were at the Pack level, Walmart and other places donated to the Pack all the time - hotdogs or buns, or bug juice, or other "stuff". Anything that lots of organizations would just write off anyway for one reason or another. Now financial donations, yes, that is completely a different story - and the District Rep is absolutely correct. Chris hit the nail on the head. With more than 20,000 Packs and Troops around the United States alone - that would be a logisitical nightmare. The only kind of cash contributions (or anything with a large cash value that someone might want to get a deduction for) can ONLY go to the national Boy Scouts of America organization.

Strictly speaking, from a legal perspective, this isn't necessarily the case. There are many, many, many national 501(c)(3) organizations that allow local chapters to take donations (both in cash and in-kind) under the national organization's tax ID number. There's nothing inappropriate or illegal about doing so. However, BSA has apparently made a decision at a national level not to allow local Packs/Troops to operate under their tax ID number and to require significant donations to be funneled through the BSA nationally. I have my own opinions about why they do this, but I'll keep those to myself here.

There IS a perfectly legal and viable way around this little problem. A sI understand it, each Pack/Troop has a sponsoring organization. Sponsoring organizations themselves are usually 501(c)(3) organizations in their own right (churches, fraternal orders, etc.). If a large gift can't be accepted by the Pack/Troop itself, many times the gift can be made to the sponsoring organization, dedicated for use by the Pack/Troop.

The only downside to that loophole is that if, for some reason, a Troop/Pack changes sponsors, any donated property would probably legally belong to the sponsoring organization and not the Pack/Troop. My own experience is that such separations are pretty rare, but that might not be true everywhere.

Bo Duke
10-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Strictly speaking, from a legal perspective, this isn't necessarily the case. There are many, many, many national 501(c)(3) organizations that allow local chapters to take donations (both in cash and in-kind) under the national organization's tax ID number. There's nothing inappropriate or illegal about doing so. However, BSA has apparently made a decision at a national level not to allow local Packs/Troops to operate under their tax ID number and to require significant donations to be funneled through the BSA nationally. I have my own opinions about why they do this, but I'll keep those to myself here.

There IS a perfectly legal and viable way around this little problem. A sI understand it, each Pack/Troop has a sponsoring organization. Sponsoring organizations themselves are usually 501(c)(3) organizations in their own right (churches, fraternal orders, etc.). If a large gift can't be accepted by the Pack/Troop itself, many times the gift can be made to the sponsoring organization, dedicated for use by the Pack/Troop.

The only downside to that loophole is that if, for some reason, a Troop/Pack changes sponsors, any donated property would probably legally belong to the sponsoring organization and not the Pack/Troop. My own experience is that such separations are pretty rare, but that might not be true everywhere.

Thanks for that information. Will definitely keep that in my back pocket, and if the need becomes necessary for use, i will have it.:thumbsup2

DisDr.
10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/redneckdux/6e063ca3.jpg

Our Den trip to the firestation yesterday. The kids loved it and the firefighters put on a show for us with the water cannon. That thing has quite a range!

stopher1
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks Aaron for the extra info. You are correct - the BSA has made the determination that nothing goes to the individual Packs and Troops. And yes, you are absolutely correct about the ownership of goods if someone donates to the charter organizations - those belong to the CO. Separations are rare, but they do happen.

stopher1
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/redneckdux/6e063ca3.jpg

Our Den trip to the firestation yesterday. The kids loved it and the firefighters put on a show for us with the water cannon. That thing has quite a range!

:thumbsup2 Very cool.

DisDr.
11-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Successful rain gutter regatta this AM, won his first race... And had fun the rest of the time.

Then helped with clean up and made Christmas cards for soldiers.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/redneckdux/80c5dfd8.jpg

Bo Duke
11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Successful rain gutter regatta this AM, won his first race... And had fun the rest of the time.

Then helped with clean up and made Christmas cards for soldiers.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/redneckdux/80c5dfd8.jpg

Good to see your son looks very happy.

Now just a question I have to compare to...
The kids that didn't get 1-3 place, what did they do for them if anything?

DisDr.
11-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Good to see your son looks very happy.

Now just a question I have to compare to...
The kids that didn't get 1-3 place, what did they do for them if anything?

They had trophies for 1-3 place and best in show for each level (tiger, wolf, bear). Everyone who participated got a medal.

We won 1 race, lost 2... Double elimination.... So we weren't last!
Everyone seemed to have a good time.

brattosa
11-15-2011, 08:08 PM
At our pack meeting tonight, our scouts screen printed their own class B shirts. Each feather in the design has a unique word: Klondike, pinewood, Shootoree, Blue & Gold, service and camping.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7213/screen1gt.jpg http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/6993/screen2lc.jpg

stopher1
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
At our pack meeting tonight, our scouts screen printed their own class B shirts. Each feather in the design has a unique word: Klondike, pinewood, Shootoree, Blue & Gold, service and camping.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7213/screen1gt.jpg http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/6993/screen2lc.jpg

Very nice!

DisDadDoc
11-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Very creative! I wish we had more energetic & creative parents in our Pack/Troop!

Bunch24
11-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Glad I found this thread. My oldest has been in Cub Scouts for two years now (currently a Wolf) and loves it. Because my old job kept me busy pretty much 24/7, I didn't get to do a lot with him last year. This past weekend, I went on my first campout with him and he absolutely loved every second of it. Last year, he went with my dad and enjoyed it, but I think having his dad with him this year made it even more special.

I'd love to get more involved in his pack, but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the dads. This weekend, I spent most of the weekend just watching him play and do his activities. I didn't talk to many of the parents, outside of general chit-chat. I guess I'll warm up to them as I attend more meetings, which I plan on doing once football season ends.

I got the camping fever this weekend and I'm hoping he and I can do a monthly camping trip together. I was in scouting when I was younger, but had to stop after my first year in Boy Scouts because our den dwindled down to two boys and the nearest den to us was 30 miles away (ugh). I'm hoping he can stay interested in it, because I think it's teaching him a lot.

I look forward to learning some tips that I can maybe bring to our den and pack meetings.

DisDadDoc
11-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Glad I found this thread. My oldest has been in Cub Scouts for two years now (currently a Wolf) and loves it. Because my old job kept me busy pretty much 24/7, I didn't get to do a lot with him last year. This past weekend, I went on my first campout with him and he absolutely loved every second of it. Last year, he went with my dad and enjoyed it, but I think having his dad with him this year made it even more special.

I'd love to get more involved in his pack, but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the dads. This weekend, I spent most of the weekend just watching him play and do his activities. I didn't talk to many of the parents, outside of general chit-chat. I guess I'll warm up to them as I attend more meetings, which I plan on doing once football season ends.

I got the camping fever this weekend and I'm hoping he and I can do a monthly camping trip together. I was in scouting when I was younger, but had to stop after my first year in Boy Scouts because our den dwindled down to two boys and the nearest den to us was 30 miles away (ugh). I'm hoping he can stay interested in it, because I think it's teaching him a lot.

I look forward to learning some tips that I can maybe bring to our den and pack meetings.

Excellent! Scouting is an excellent way to spend time with your boys!

Approach your cubmaster & tell him you'd like to be involved. Most packs are dying for help! Your local district will also have some good training programs that should give you good ideas (we just had our fall Pow Wow)

Good luck!

stopher1
11-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Excellent! Scouting is an excellent way to spend time with your boys!

Yes, yes it is!

I'm so proud of my eldest right now (moreso than usual)... as you might recall, my boys are in the Boy Scouts (haven't been in Cubs for more than 2 years now) - and we're part of a very large Troop - 137 registered Scouts, 98 registered Adult Leaders. We had our biannual Troop election Monday night for the Troop leadership (we are a Boy-Led troop as Scouting was intended), and Harrison was elected Senior Patrol Leader. So for the next 6 months, he's the big cheese. Pretty cool. He tried for the position 6 months ago and lost, but this time, he won. That was pretty cool. I led and closed out the standing O he got when his named was announced by the Scoutmaster. There were 8 candidates, and he won. There's lots of happy in our household this week because of that huge confidence boost for him.

DisneyDadC
11-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I have some pics of our fall camporee just need to post them,also just did our food drive for the red cross. will get them up and share ,maybe this weekend

PhillyMc
12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm very exicted to see this group started. Has anyone ever taken cub scouts or even boy scouts to Disney? I know staying on property even camping would be expensive but maybe a local camp ground or even a FL scout camp?

A little about me:
An orginal Tigar Cub -Webelos-Eagle Scout-High Adventure Post
Vigal Honor Member
3 year Den Leader of 11 Bears at this time.

SAHDad
12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
So, when we kicked off our popcorn sales earlier this year, I told my den that if they hit a certain goal, I would provide an unspecified treat for the entire den. It was a sucker's bet - I expected to lose, and I wanted to lose.

And yep, I lost. (I knew I should have set the goal higher - they crushed it with ease.)

So, at Wednesday's meeting, I unveiled the surprise - I gave each boy a model rocket, and we spent the meeting building them (and painting some Christmas ornaments). Today, we met again to take their rockets out and launch them. Judging from the response, it sounds like I have inadvertently started an unofficial model rocket club. And that's a good thing.

nickkweber
12-21-2011, 12:21 PM
After reading many of the posts on this thread I feel like I have the same experience as many of you. I have been a little disappointed in how my son's troop has been progressing. As a former scout I want the same experience for my own kids, so I am taking over his Tiger Cub Den. How often do some of you meet with your den's? Right now they have been meeting once a month for a den meeting and once a month as a whole troop. Do any of you have more than one den meeting a month?

Bo Duke
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I always met twice a month as a den and once with the pack.(plus committee meetings) For the tigers there isn't a lot of in depth stuff to work on so games and extra activities will be needed to keep their interest.

Now on another note. I finally got one of the parents in my Tiger den of 13 to step up and take over for me so I can put more focus on the Pack as a whole. I can't believe how many parents just show up because they "have" to. I have been asking for a volunteer for several months now and just now got one. It is just unreal. (mini rant over:laughing:)

Bo Duke
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Where did you get the screen printing equipment? That would be awesome to do.

SAHDad
12-21-2011, 06:03 PM
After reading many of the posts on this thread I feel like I have the same experience as many of you. I have been a little disappointed in how my son's troop has been progressing. As a former scout I want the same experience for my own kids, so I am taking over his Tiger Cub Den. How often do some of you meet with your den's? Right now they have been meeting once a month for a den meeting and once a month as a whole troop. Do any of you have more than one den meeting a month?

We have den meetings every two weeks, plus one pack meeting a month, plus one committee meeting a month, and generally a pack activity once a month.

brattosa
12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
How often do some of you meet with your den's? Right now they have been meeting once a month for a den meeting and once a month as a whole troop. Do any of you have more than one den meeting a month?

Our dens meet the first and second week of the month and pack meetings are the third week.

District roundtables are the first Tuesday of the month; pack leader / committee meetings are the first Wednesday of the month. Our city has several registered units so our pack is kicking off our own Pow-Wow roundtables to try and get area packs to plan some events together and exchange ideas.

brattosa
12-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Where did you get the screen printing equipment? That would be awesome to do.

One of our den leaders does screen printing as a hobby. I can try to get some of the details on his equipment if you'd like.

DisDadDoc
12-22-2011, 06:24 AM
We have den meetings every two weeks, plus one pack meeting a month, plus one committee meeting a month, and generally a pack activity once a month.

This is what we do (& most in our district), but Tiger dens typically meet only once a month (sometimes twice with a go-see-it)

Ask your committee chair to get you a copy of the Den Meeting Planner which has copies of all the lesson plans you'll ever need!

DisneyDadC
01-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Klondike time :thumbsup2 I have several up dates to put in here hopefully I can get them in soon.

Bo Duke
01-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Don't know how i missed this. What are eggs in a bag?

One of our den leaders does screen printing as a hobby. I can try to get some of the details on his equipment if you'd like.

If you could that would be great. Thank you

DisneyDadC
01-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I would like to thank my kids and the other kids from scouting for an enjoyable weekend.This yrs Klondike for me was better then last yrs. Why was it better then last yrs??? Three words said to me by my son while getting in the car to come home made it better for me.The first three words he said was getting in were "That was fun!!!" Those three words made the whole weekend worth it !!! :) :thumbsup2

DisneyDadC
01-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Don't know how i missed this. What are eggs in a bag?

Eggs in a bag are simply: you put your eggs in a zip lock bag preferably the double zip one.Then add whatever you want( cheese,chopped peppers,sausage,etc) shake bag to mix it up then drop in boiling water. Then presto after a short time you have an omelet with no real mess to clean up. Its fast its easy and the kids love doing it.

SAHDad
01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Eggs in a bag are simply: you put your eggs in a zip lock bag preferably the double zip one.Then add whatever you want( cheese,chopped peppers,sausage,etc) shake bag to mix it up then drop in boiling water. Then presto after a short time you have an omelet with no real mess to clean up. Its fast its easy and the kids love doing it.

FWIW - I use the same method to make omelets at home, since I never mastered the trick of making them properly. Easier to clean up too.

We had our Pinewood Derby on Friday. Overall, a pretty successful event, with an Angry Birds car taking Best of Show. DS did not do so well as last year, and was pretty upset by it. I've tried impressing on him that the main goals are to have fun and learn something, but he isn't receptive at the moment.

I have told him that, if he is willing to do the work, I am more than happy to buy some pinewood kits over the next year, so we can practice making cars and trying different designs. (Obviously, the car that races next year would be made once we got our "official" kit in November, but nothing is stopping me from buying six or seven kits from the Scout shop and working on them in the meantime, if he is willing to do the work.)

DisneyDadC
01-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes, yes it is!

I'm so proud of my eldest right now (moreso than usual)... as you might recall, my boys are in the Boy Scouts (haven't been in Cubs for more than 2 years now) - and we're part of a very large Troop - 137 registered Scouts, 98 registered Adult Leaders. We had our biannual Troop election Monday night for the Troop leadership (we are a Boy-Led troop as Scouting was intended), and Harrison was elected Senior Patrol Leader. So for the next 6 months, he's the big cheese. Pretty cool. He tried for the position 6 months ago and lost, but this time, he won. That was pretty cool. I led and closed out the standing O he got when his named was announced by the Scoutmaster. There were 8 candidates, and he won. There's lots of happy in our household this week because of that huge confidence boost for him.

Are these numbers just troop or do they include the pack?? And How many troops do you have in your area?

Our troop is small only like ten scouts and our pack did grow some but only like 25 kids. I think we have to many troops in our area so numbers are smaller (we have a two troops that are only like 1 1/2 distance in between them)

DisneyDadC
01-16-2012, 09:38 AM
FWIW - I use the same method to make omelets at home, since I never mastered the trick of making them properly. Easier to clean up too.

We had our Pinewood Derby on Friday. Overall, a pretty successful event, with an Angry Birds car taking Best of Show. DS did not do so well as last year, and was pretty upset by it. I've tried impressing on him that the main goals are to have fun and learn something, but he isn't receptive at the moment.

I have told him that, if he is willing to do the work, I am more than happy to buy some pinewood kits over the next year, so we can practice making cars and trying different designs. (Obviously, the car that races next year would be made once we got our "official" kit in November, but nothing is stopping me from buying six or seven kits from the Scout shop and working on them in the meantime, if he is willing to do the work.)

Ours has yet to come,my kids love just being involved. I am lucky my kids don't care if their cars crash and burn,they have fun just being there and building their cars.So this make it easier for me lol.
Our pack is also doing a space derby this year which will be our first.We did it at our round table last week.If the leaders had fun with it then I know the kids are going to:thumbsup2

stopher1
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM

These are awesome, and so easy.

stopher1
01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Summer Camp promotion season officially kicked off in our Troop last Monday night when I stood up and gave my first announcement about it.

Our online sign-up form went live on Wednesday, and as of this point...

... the adults are way more excited about it than the boys are! :rotfl: As of this morning I have 8 adults signed up, and only 1 Scout. :lmao:

That will certainly change, but I am just fascinated by that. We're all pretty pumped.

Last year I took 90 Scouts and 35 adult leaders... the year before was 82 Scouts and 29 adults leaders, so yeah, the current stats WILL change - it's just pretty funny. Usually it's the Scouts who are pumped and sign-up first, while the adults figure out vacation time, blah, blah, blah... but tonight the next announcement will be made, and I'll razz the boys that the adults are more excited than they are. Then their competitive spirit will start to kick in.

DisneyDadC
01-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Christopher look four posts up ^^ :thumbsup2

stopher1
01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Are these numbers just troop or do they include the pack?? And How many troops do you have in your area?

Our troop is small only like ten scouts and our pack did grow some but only like 25 kids. I think we have to many troops in our area so numbers are smaller (we have a two troops that are only like 1 1/2 distance in between them)

Sorry Carl - I missed this - thanks for pointing it out so well!

Those numbers are just Boy Scout TROOP.

We have 3 Troops in our city, and 4 Troops in the neighboring city to the south, and 4 Troops in the neighboring city to the west, and more to the north and east that I don't know for sure. Of those to the south & west - 3 each are 100 or more. The rest are between 25 - 75 boys each.

The Cub Scout Packs are a completely different animal that I no longer pay attention to. We have about 9 or 10 Packs in our city, and I have no idea as to how many in the cities directly to the south & west of us.

Last year, from the Packs in our city, our Troop got 35 boys who crossed over from Cubs to Boy Scouts. The other 2 Troops in the city got boys as well, but I don't know how many. We're expecting about 45 boys to cross over this season.

Within our district we have 28 Troops (again, no clue on Packs). Within our Council there are something like 300 Troops (again, no clue on Packs). Within our Council we have 15 Districts. We have well over 10,000 Scouts & volunteers (Scouters) registered in our Council, between Cubs & Boy Scouts.

DisneyDadC
01-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry Carl - I missed this - thanks for pointing it out so well!

Those numbers are just Boy Scout TROOP.

We have 3 Troops in our city, and 4 Troops in the neighboring city to the south, and 4 Troops in the neighboring city to the west, and more to the north and east that I don't know for sure. Of those to the south & west - 3 each are 100 or more. The rest are between 25 - 75 boys each.

The Cub Scout Packs are a completely different animal that I no longer pay attention to. We have about 9 or 10 Packs in our city, and I have no idea as to how many in the cities directly to the south & west of us.

Last year, from the Packs in our city, our Troop got 35 boys who crossed over from Cubs to Boy Scouts. The other 2 Troops in the city got boys as well, but I don't know how many. We're expecting about 45 boys to cross over this season.

Within our district we have 28 Troops (again, no clue on Packs). Within our Council there are something like 300 Troops (again, no clue on Packs). Within our Council we have 15 Districts. We have well over 10,000 Scouts & volunteers (Scouters) registered in our Council, between Cubs & Boy Scouts.

:eek::eek: wow is all I can say. I wish our number were half of that.

stopher1
01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
:eek::eek: wow is all I can say. I wish our number were half of that.

We had our Committee meeting tonight, and the Scoutmaster said that there are 72 Webelos II throughout our city's packs. He's not sure, but expecting about 50 of them to come to us. That's HUGE.

And he announced the final results for 2011 - our Troop had 15 Scouts in 2011 earn the Eagle Rank.

I'm looking forward to my eldest earning his in 2012 - which by the way, is the 100th anniversary since the very first Scout earned his Eagle rank - just 2 years after the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouting in America.

DisDadDoc
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
We had our Committee meeting tonight, and the Scoutmaster said that there are 72 Webelos II throughout our city's packs. He's not sure, but expecting about 50 of them to come to us. That's HUGE.

And he announced the final results for 2011 - our Troop had 15 Scouts in 2011 earn the Eagle Rank.

I'm looking forward to my eldest earning his in 2012 - which by the way, is the 100th anniversary since the very first Scout earned his Eagle rank - just 2 years after the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouting in America.

Awesome! Good luck to your son!

Anyone planning on the Jamboree yet (July 14-24, 2013)? I know that they are accepting applications now. I'm planning on being there with my 2 sons.

stopher1
01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Awesome! Good luck to your son!

Anyone planning on the Jamboree yet (July 14-24, 2013)? I know that they are accepting applications now. I'm planning on being there with my 2 sons.

Both of my sons will be there.

I'm hoping that I can be, but right now, not so sure. I went through 2 rounds of interviews to be selected as an ASM II - but was not selected. Just found out a couple of days ago. I was bummed, to say the least. The selection guys did tell me, however, that there is still a possibility, as it gets closer, if one of the ones who was selected drops out or has a change of plans, then I could be tapped as the replacement guy. Not really how I wanted to go - but hey, if it works, then yeah, I'll go. OR I could sign-up to go and work it as staff... but that wouldn't be quite the same.

Our Council has a contingent made up of 6 Jambo Troops of 36 Scouts each, with a SM, ASM I, ASM II and an ASM III, which is the (adult) youth (over 18, but not yet 21). So far all of the adult roles have been filled now, and of the 216 Scout spots, 180 have been filled - 16 are from our home Troop, so that's cool. Plus our Council is sending for the first time a Venture Crew, so that'll be great for them as well. We have 1 Advisor and 5 of our Venturers signed up to go.

I REALLY wanted to go too. So I was REALLY bummed when they said no. This will be the only chance that both boys get to go to it. Matthew will have another possibility before he ages out, but not Harrison. So I'm glad they're both in the contingent.

DisDr.
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
We participated in Pinewood Derby on Sat.
Our entry was a purple and gold "honey badger" pickup truck.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/redneckdux/3bfb6f49.jpg

2nd place!

Bunch24
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Nice truck there DisDr.

We had our Pinewood Derby this past weekend too and my son's RedBack Spider car took second for artistic design. The first place winner was pretty sweet, I wish I would have taken a picture. A dad (err, kid :rotfl:) made Anakin's podracer, complete with hoses and a lego Anakin sitting in the driver's seat.

As for the actual race, we blew a tire in the second heat, but came back to win the final three heats. Still didn't finish top three though because that DNF brought our average down.

All in all, though, my son had a ton of fun, and was very proud of his car. That's all that matters.

Bo Duke
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Ok, Pinewood derby opinions wanted.

Our derby isn't until April. We have been talking about a new track with timer (looks like maybe next year) and a better way to run the races.

Last year (with the old cubmaster and half the kids) we did double elimination brackets on posterboard.

This year (I am cubmaster now :scared1:) I want to make it smoother, and would like your input.

The first question I have is how do your derbys run? Double elim, round robin, by den then overall? I will have only 2 webelos, 7 Bears, 8 Wolves and 13 tigers (pending everyone shows up).

Do your scout set their cars on the track or is it done only by "Officials"?

Are names mentioned before the race? Only numbers then names after the race?

Also I would like to organize the brackets a bit better (if that is how we do them) Maybe this was mentioned before but what software or spreadsheets do your packs, troops use?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want this derby to run smooth and not be a repeat of the Raingutter mess we had in November.

Thank you in advance guys.:worship:

Fish Almighty
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi... just found this dads area and had a question related to scouting. As a precursor, I have no experience with the scouts at all.

My son is in 3rd grade. In 2nd grade, he expressed interest in the scouts so we joined the local cub scout pack at his school in the fall and went to the den and pack meetings. My son wasn't interested in the activities at the den (such as learning to tie your shoes or how to throw a ball). The only times he seemed to enjoy it were on the two camping trips we went on. We stopped going in the spring when his baseball schedule conflicted with the meetings. He told me he did not want to do it this fall, so we didn't sign up. I don't know if the activities were typical of what cub scouts normally do.

I would like for him to try it again at some point. At what age do you think would be good for him to give it another shot? Thanks!

Bo Duke
02-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi... just found this dads area and had a question related to scouting. As a precursor, I have no experience with the scouts at all.

My son is in 3rd grade. In 2nd grade, he expressed interest in the scouts so we joined the local cub scout pack at his school in the fall and went to the den and pack meetings. My son wasn't interested in the activities at the den (such as learning to tie your shoes or how to throw a ball). The only times he seemed to enjoy it were on the two camping trips we went on. We stopped going in the spring when his baseball schedule conflicted with the meetings. He told me he did not want to do it this fall, so we didn't sign up. I don't know if the activities were typical of what cub scouts normally do.

I would like for him to try it again at some point. At what age do you think would be good for him to give it another shot? Thanks!

I would have to say the best way for you to see would be to go to
meritbadge.org (http://meritbadge.org)
and view the books there. You can look to see what activities he could be doing this year as a Bear (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Bear_Cub_Scout#14._Ride_Right). My wife runs our bear den and they just made tool boxes (activity 20). I cut all of the wood, the parents drilled the holes and and the scouts put them together.

I would say to try to get him back in for next year at the latest. He would be a first year webelo (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Webelos_Badge) and there is a lot of activities that they have to do to earn everything to achieve the Arrow Of Light (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Arrow_of_Light_award) before becoming a boy scout. Plus if he is board you could look into doing the belt loop activities (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Academics_and_Sports_Program) which are also listed on the site i gave.

Fish Almighty
02-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I would have to say the best way for you to see would be to go to
meritbadge.org (http://meritbadge.org)
and view the books there. You can look to see what activities he could be doing this year as a Bear (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Bear_Cub_Scout#14._Ride_Right). My wife runs our bear den and they just made tool boxes (activity 20). I cut all of the wood, the parents drilled the holes and and the scouts put them together.

I would say to try to get him back in for next year at the latest. He would be a first year webelo (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Webelos_Badge) and there is a lot of activities that they have to do to earn everything to achieve the Arrow Of Light (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Arrow_of_Light_award) before becoming a boy scout. Plus if he is board you could look into doing the belt loop activities (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Academics_and_Sports_Program) which are also listed on the site i gave.

Thanks for the info. Do you have to be a webelo before being promoted to boy scouts? He did a bunch of the belt loop activities last year, but most of them consisted of about 10 minutes of work during a "belt loop frenzy".

Bo Duke
02-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you have to be a webelo before being promoted to boy scouts? He did a bunch of the belt loop activities last year, but most of them consisted of about 10 minutes of work during a "belt loop frenzy".

no, but he does have to meet the following:

Your son can be a Scout if he has completed the fifth grade and is at least 10 years old or is age 11 or has earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but has not reached age 18.

Bo Duke
02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
He did a bunch of the belt loop activities last year, but most of them consisted of about 10 minutes of work during a "belt loop frenzy".

I would also suggest (and you can look here (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Academics_and_Sports_Program)) to work on the next step of the belt loops and earn the pin. Usually the belt loops only have about 3 items that need to be completed to earn the loop. To earn the pins you must first earn the belt loop and then you have to complete some more tasks which are a bit more detailed then what you did for the loop.

wasnotafan
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
First Webelos meeting for DS tonight. Only 2 other boys in the den were there and all we did was the Pledge, snack and get a car for the pinewood derby, but DS said he loved it. There are 6-8 boys overall but only 3 that are regulars.

He wants to continue so SWMBO will have to take him to the Derby in March because I am scheduled for a meeting that Saturday. I was hoping it was a different day because it is actually a paid trip to the other end of the state with an overnight at a beekeeping meeting and DS really enjoys his bees (or says he does). Looks like he is starting to reach the age where he would rather interact with his peers than his old dad.

Bo Duke
02-13-2012, 08:35 PM
First Webelos meeting for DS tonight. Only 2 other boys in the den were there and all we did was the Pledge, snack and get a car for the pinewood derby, but DS said he loved it. There are 6-8 boys overall but only 3 that are regulars.

He wants to continue so SWMBO will have to take him to the Derby in March because I am scheduled for a meeting that Saturday. I was hoping it was a different day because it is actually a paid trip to the other end of the state with an overnight at a beekeeping meeting and DS really enjoys his bees (or says he does). Looks like he is starting to reach the age where he would rather interact with his peers than his old dad.

Unfortunatly that is how ours is and now the not frequent ones are out completely. We had one webelo transfer to scouts one who is close to transferring and 3 will be second year webelos. Then our numbers increase. 7 bears, 8 wolves and 13 tigers. Witch Is pretty good for a village of 1200 ppl.

Fish Almighty
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I would also suggest (and you can look here (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Academics_and_Sports_Program)) to work on the next step of the belt loops and earn the pin. Usually the belt loops only have about 3 items that need to be completed to earn the loop. To earn the pins you must first earn the belt loop and then you have to complete some more tasks which are a bit more detailed then what you did for the loop.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get him out camping some this spring and summer (when we're not playing baseball) and see if I can get him interested again this fall.

DisneyDadC
02-17-2012, 09:52 AM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423093_2928768855874_1160531537_32412704_844327607 _n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403015_2928762135706_1160531537_32412702_869357311 _n.jpg

These are my boys cars so far... Pinewood derby is tonight lol think they will do ok without weights and wheels??

SAHDad
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
These are my boys cars so far... Pinewood derby is tonight lol think they will do ok without weights and wheels??

Cars look good. And hey, if Chuck Norris can win the Tour de France with two flat tires and a broken chain, your boys should be fine. ;)

wasnotafan
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423093_2928768855874_1160531537_32412704_844327607 _n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403015_2928762135706_1160531537_32412702_869357311 _n.jpg

Looks good to me. My boy's is still in the box.

DisneyDadC
02-17-2012, 08:40 PM
finished the cars with time to spare.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/426269_2931581166180_1160531537_32413246_558658797 _n.jpg

Final results were identical. Both boys finished with a first and two seconds in their heats for a second place final standings.
They were very happy to advance to districts.Last year both their cars crashed and burned to say but hey they have fun doing it.
Both these styles are very easy for the kids to do also. The swiss cheese car is very simple. just a wedge with dimple in it.The red car took a little scroll saw work but just have to watch the kids fingers and count them when your done.

wasnotafan
02-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Still working on our entry. Went with the pickup design.

perdidochas
04-10-2012, 02:05 PM

My advice: Don't put the cheese in until AFTER you cook the egg. Why? Hard to tell when the egg is done, because the egg is solidifying while the cheese is melting. Also, use freezer ziplocks, not regular. My sons are going to do this on the next campout with their patrol. They have had cleaning up issues in the patrol, and this is their solution.

(I was Tiger Cub DL, a Bear DL, and a Webelos DL (three years of Webelos), now Advancement chair of a Troop Committee).

perdidochas
04-10-2012, 02:07 PM

You have to be 11 (or in 6th grade) to be a Boy Scout, or be ten and have gotten the Webelo Arrow of Light Award. Being a Webelo is optional, it just lets you become a Scout at a slightly younger age.

unclescrooge_0707
04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get him out camping some this spring and summer (when we're not playing baseball) and see if I can get him interested again this fall.

unrelated to scouting - That's a sweet-looking les paul in your Avatar picture.

Related to Scouting: this article was posted on a facebook page earlier today.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/04/10/new-study-shows-46-ways-eagle-scouts-are-different/

If anyone's interested.

Stitch'sCousin
05-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't tend to post that often but I really found the article on ways Eagle Scouts are different to be interesting. I'm a Scout Leader in Canada and both of my boys (16 and 14) have earned their Chief Scout Award which is our top award for youth. They definitely fit many of the points made in the blog about Eagle Scouts. Thanks for posting it.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Stitch'sCousin
07-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Just finished 8 nights at the Great Lakes Jamboree with our troop.

DisDadDoc
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Hey, guys! Just back from Wood Badge. A great experience! Learned lots about teamwork, leadership, and communication. And had super fun! Thanks again to those Scouting Dis Dads (especially Stopher) who encouraged me to do it. If you have the opportunity, I would definitely recommend it!

Stitch'sCousin
09-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Our troop is going to particpate in the "War of 1812" reenactment at Niagara-on-the-Lake today. Just curious if any of the other DisDads out there were going to be there too since there are around 2000 Canadian and American Scouts attending this camp. :)

Urugami
09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Just had my first exposure to Scouting in the organizational/welcome meeting last night. Quite by surprise, too... DS hadn't been interested in it until the Scout Master pitched to his class on Tue or Wed this week.
Hope I can glean a few nuggets from the thread and we can be active contributors to the pack. :salute:
What, no salute smilie?

Bo Duke
09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Just had my first exposure to Scouting in the organizational/welcome meeting last night. Quite by surprise, too... DS hadn't been interested in it until the Scout Master pitched to his class on Tue or Wed this week.
Hope I can glean a few nuggets from the thread and we can be active contributors to the pack.http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/smiley-face-patriot.gif

There fixed it for ya

wasnotafan
10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Organizational meeting last night and went about as expected. A lot of mothers and Tigers/Cub age boys, the regional rep, myself and the dad that did Cubs last year. The former Webelos leader isn't interested because his son aged out and he had been doing it for years. The former cubmaster and I are over committed already and his son is ready for Webelos now so it looks as though some mom's may get together and try to do a Tiger/Cub troop and nothing for the Webelos boys unless the boys and the other dad and I do something together. It is a shame that more dads aren't willing to step up and help out these days. It isn't just BSA, but 4-H, soccer, religious education and everything else.

Bo Duke
10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Organizational meeting last night and went about as expected. A lot of mothers and Tigers/Cub age boys, the regional rep, myself and the dad that did Cubs last year. The former Webelos leader isn't interested because his son aged out and he had been doing it for years. The former cubmaster and I are over committed already and his son is ready for Webelos now so it looks as though some mom's may get together and try to do a Tiger/Cub troop and nothing for the Webelos boys unless the boys and the other dad and I do something together. It is a shame that more dads aren't willing to step up and help out these days. It isn't just BSA, but 4-H, soccer, religious education and everything else.

I know how that goes. On the plus side for you though, at least you are having someone possibly try.

I am cubmaster for our pack. I was doing that and tiger den leader last year because I couldn't get anyone to do it. Finally at the end of the year someone stepped up. I asked her why she didn't step up before (she had done it before with her older son) she said she wanted someone else to try. Well I am starting to wish someone else would have.

Now the Boy Scout leader's son will be done this year and so the leader wants to drop it. Now they are trying to get me to lead both boy scouts and cub scouts. Which I said no way and I am not going to just drop cub scouts.

The unfortunate thing is I don't see anyone that would want to be cubmaster or that i think would do a good job. And no we don't have an assistant cubmaster at this point either because no one will step up.

It makes it very hard when all of the parents just want a babysitting service.

arthuruscg
10-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Well, I guess I should introduce my self.
I made eagle scout back in 1999. I also served at a adviser in Venture for a few years.

Currently I am not active in scouting or currently registered. I do have a 2 DS year old and I am looking forward to him joining. The recent news about the pending Eagle Scout in CA, does make me want to rejoin and work towards changing the national boards policies, but this is not the thread for that discussion.

I think a lot of troops have issues with very little parental involvement. One thing that helped increase the % of parents involved was to make the military families fee welcomed. Typically, the parents would be involved and sometimes the whole family. When more parents started getting involved, it pulled/guilt other parents to become more active in the troop.

We eventually had enough involvement that the parents would have a monthly meeting to help divide up the responsibilities.

It also helped to have a Venture Unit with the troop. The venture unit allowed for the older boys to feel like they should stay active and allowed for the inclusion of sisters. Typically the Ventures would meet by themselves at the same time the troop meant.

brattosa
10-19-2012, 04:03 PM
One of our District Unit Commissioners sent an email today regarding recent changes adopted by the national office yesterday. By his wording as well as the changes made, it sounds like maybe national is toying with the idea of combining Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts to try to eliminate the drop with Cubs crossing over. It also sounds like there is a potential to make scouting co-ed to match the rest of the World Scouting organization. I know the co-ed idea was talked about when I got my Eagle in 1989 but nothing came out of it. Thought I would share here (nothing secretive in the content of the email) and get your thoughts on these changes.

One of life’s constants is change, and the Scouting Program is no exception. In the 1960s, Cub Scouting was formalized, to draw younger boys into the program. And in 1998, Venturing was spun off from Exploring, to cater to youth of both genders. The BSA is unique in the World Scouting program, in that it still is largely not co-ed. The division between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, creating separate programs, also offers families an “opportunity” to decide to “not join Boy Scouts” as the fifth grade closes.

CHANGE ONE
Yesterday, the BSA took its first step towards streamlining and unifying the program. Please read the attached resolution, passed by the National Executive Board. Effective with the 2014-2015 program year (for Venturing) and the 2015-2016 program year (for Cubbies):

The Tiger Cub Promise will be eliminated
The Cub Scout Promise will be eliminated
The Cub Scout Law of the Pack will be eliminated
The Venturing Oath and Code will be eliminated
All programs will learn and subscribe to what is now the Boy Scout Oath and Law

The attached resolution doesn’t elaborate these points, but the following changes will also occur:

The Venturing sign and salute will be replaced by the Boy Scout sign and salute. The Cub Scout sign and salute (for now) will remain in place. The Cub Scout motto and handshake will also remain unchanged.
The Core Values of Cub Scouts and Venturing will be realigned to match the Boy Scout Core Values.
The Venturing slogan and motto MAY change to match the Boy Scout slogan and motto; no decision made at this date.
No uniforming changes will be made at this time.

CHANGE TWO
Effective January 1, 2014, two more merit badges will be added to the list of those required for Eagle Scout rank. First, the Sustainability merit badge will be added as an alternative to earning Environmental Science. Second, Cooking will become the new, 13th required Eagle badge (meaning one less optional badge for rank….overall requirement will remain at 21 badges).

Plenty of other changes coming. Wanted to make you aware before your units started inquiring. One of our jobs as commissioners is to help them through change. We’ll continue to discuss in the coming months.

wasnotafan
10-19-2012, 09:46 PM
One of our District Unit Commissioners sent an email today regarding recent changes adopted by the national office yesterday. By his wording as well as the changes made, it sounds like maybe national is toying with the idea of combining Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts to try to eliminate the drop with Cubs crossing over. It also sounds like there is a potential to make scouting co-ed to match the rest of the World Scouting organization. I know the co-ed idea was talked about when I got my Eagle in 1989 but nothing came out of it. Thought I would share here (nothing secretive in the content of the email) and get your thoughts on these changes.

Not big on the Co-Ed thing. Changing Cub Promise and Law of the Pack is not going to keep kids from dropping. The bigger issue is at that age a whole new range of opportunities open up to the boys and some that were in for something to do now have new opportunities. That won't change.

I'll avoid going off on a rant, but when I was a cub late 60's-early 70's we didn't have to sell popcorn and everything else to try to support a top heavy national organization that really provides no local support. What little money we made doing car washes or paper drives stayed with the pack and covered what it needed to cover. Girl Scouts is the same way so I'm not picking on BSA. If we need that much administration to oversee the program, maybe the program has gotten too big to meet the local needs.

arthuruscg
10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, to help reduce the drop outs from the cub > boy transition, the packs and troops need to be more integrated.
So, the pack and troop might try meeting at the same time and place. And the Weblows need to go on more of the troops camping trips. Basically, the Weblows need to become socially invested in the troops activities.

There is nothing wrong with co-ed scounting, my Venture crew was co-ed and when the hormones are policed by the advisors, the members treat each other more like cousins then potential mates. It also teaches boys and girls how to have friendships with each other. I still am in contact with a lot of the people from the Venture Crew.

brattosa
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree that packs and troops need to be more integrated. In our district, troops rely solely on their feeder pack for recruits. Last spring our pack held a city-wide scouting recruit night where all of the area packs, troops and crews were invited. None of troops or crews helped to organize or promote the event and some even complained that our pack did not provide recruits for their unit.

What we're learning now is that packs are doing more exciting activities: camping, hiking, rockets, geocaching, etc. Troops are being challenged for similar activities to keep the boys involved. For example, when cubs hear that one troop in our city goes camping 10 months of the year, usually at one of the three council camps, it doesn't sound very exciting. Yes, scouts need to be outdoors, but there needs to be more exciting activities than just tent and campfire time to hold interest. A canoe tour with camping by the river; visit Gettysburg; hike a small portion of the Appalachian trail... something other than council camps.

If national eventually merges the programs, hopefully this will help flow activity ideas between packs and troops.

Bo Duke
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I too think it will help some to merge. I have been trying the last two years to get the troop to do stuff with our pack. There is little to no interaction between the two as it stands now. In fact I didn't even know how many boy scouts we had and actually come to think of it i am still not sure. I am in the works to get a new derby track so our old one can be used for boy scouts and parents as an open class build race track. Maybe we can get some interaction that way.

The other issue that our pack/troop is having is leaders. Maybe this would help me get more help. I currently am the cubmaster for our pack. I have no assistant cubmaster (with the exception of my wife who helps a lot) and bare minimum on committee. I was asked about two months ago if i could do the troop too as their troop master's son is ready to earn eagle and he wants to be done. If we combine them then maybe that would be a possibility but there is no way i can do both and do all of the planning, fill in for den meetings and do the roundups. I will lose the little hair i have left.

Bo Duke
10-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Just saw this posted on the Boy Scout FB page
http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/10/17/bsa-to-use-scout-oath-and-scout-law-for-all-programs/

wasnotafan
10-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Just saw this posted on the Boy Scout FB page
http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/10/17/bsa-to-use-scout-oath-and-scout-law-for-all-programs/

Thanks for posting. Doesn't look like there is much agreement from the adults on whether this is good or not. I still think a big issue is that there are so many other opportunities now that you will loose boys in the transition no matter what you do.

ImTooExcitedToSleep
01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
This is a great thread (why didn't I find this sooner?)!

I'm the Bear Den leader for DS's Pack and will most likely become Cubmaster soon.

We broke off from a large Pack last year and are currently stairstepping up to a full program--right now we just have Tigers, Wolves and Bears, with a total of 17 Scouts.

In the car tonight, DW was on the internet look for pictures of Pinewood Derby cars to inspire DS. He found the one he wanted to draw inspiration from and when we got home and started to print the pic, we discoved it was from a thread on the disboards. :rotfl2: Small world.

DisneyDadC
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
any dads here have a good science experiment to do for scouts?? Any good ideas for build something with levers? ( I am thinking a medium size catapult to chuck balloons)I will be working on the NOVA award with my kids and want to really make it fun for them but not to hard for Bears

Stitch'sCousin
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure what your age groups are in the US, but we had our 3rd year Canadian Scouts (13 - 14yo) build about 4 to 5 foot tall catapults at our October camp using square and diagonal lashing as part of their pioneering work. They then launched projectiles (apple sized) to see how far they could get them to go. They loved it! If it doesn't have to involve levers, you can always try making pop bottle rockets. http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/BottleRocket/about.htm
:)

DisneyDadC
02-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure what your age groups are in the US, but we had our 3rd year Canadian Scouts (13 - 14yo) build about 4 to 5 foot tall catapults at our October camp using square and diagonal lashing as part of their pioneering work. They then launched projectiles (apple sized) to see how far they could get them to go. They loved it! If it doesn't have to involve levers, you can always try making pop bottle rockets. http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/BottleRocket/about.htm
:)

I am dealing with 9 yr old cub scouts. We do the water rockets every yr come summertime.

Stitch'sCousin
09-08-2013, 04:24 PM
After a few years absence, our group is restarting our Venturer Company (14-17 yo in Canada). I'm taking them to Niagara-on-the-Lake in two weeks for the War of 1812 re-enactment at Fort George. There are usually over 1000 youth from Canada and the US, along with hundreds of leaders, at this camp. I was wondering if any other Dis Dads are going to be there?

boreas154
10-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Wow... just noticed this thread was here.

Got DS into Scouts last year as a Tiger. Starting up this year, I was 'volunteered' to be the Wolf Den Leader. 1 month in and currently 6 boys in the Den. Luckily I have a very interactive group of parents that like to stay and help each week. Makes my job a LOT easier.

The Disney Fanatic
10-22-2013, 02:38 AM
It does make it a lot easier when you have that support from the parents. :thumbsup2

dbramer
11-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I have been an Assistant Den Leader since my DS was a Tiger Scout. He is now a Webelos 1 and we are contemplating bridging to Boy Scouts, but joining a different troop than the one affiliated with our Pack (drama, don't ask). Due to my schedule, it is my one evening with my DS (almost 10) each week and I cherish the time that we get to spend together learning how to be a respectful and capable young man. The transformation from when he was a Tiger till now is incredible (obviously), but the fact that I got to watch him go through this and support him as he overcame some challenges and obstacles. It has been extremely gratifying to watch him become more self-sufficient at each meeting.

Urugami
03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
So, who else has a Spring Encampment coming up?
Cub World for the Southeast Louisiana Council is this weekend, and we're looking forward to another great time.
And, since Pack 'Gami now has a new 8-person tent, DW is going to come with us this time, if for no other reason than my recent health issues make her want to keep an eye on me while I'm keeping an eye on DS.:rolleyes: That, and there's no way the 3 of us would have fit in our old tent :crowded: , and we can all sleep under one fabric roof this time :lmao: ...
Here's to being happy campers!:woohoo: