View Full Version : Taking little brother to Disney World border question?

09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Me and DH are planning on taking my little brother to WDW in spring 2013 and he will be 10yrs old at the time. We always fly from the states so I was wondering what we would require to cross the US border with him as we are not his parents. I know he will need a passport but is anything else needed?

09-09-2011, 01:32 PM
You should get a note from your parents/his guardian giving you permission to take the trip.


this provides samples. You may or may not be asked for it ..but its best to have one.

09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Yep, all you need is a letter fro myour parents stating that he is allowed to travel with you from this date to that date. I do it all the time with my little brother and never had a problem, actually never was asked for anything. When we get to customs they ask if it's the same family, I usually answer that his my brother and those are my daughters an this is DH and they ask the usual questions about where we are going for what duration and that's it. Just last month I brought him yet again for anohter trip for Disney and still no questions. Have fun!

09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Ok so I don't need anything from a lawyer or anything?

09-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Not from a lawyer... if he can speak for himself, and you have the same last name, just having hte signed declarition shoul dbe fine. (Although i do get my travel notes notorized at city hall, but thats a divorce issue)

It should only cost $25 to get the notorization if you feel it is required.

09-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Yes he is autistic but he can speak for himself no problem. We don't have the same last name as he has a different father and I am married.

09-09-2011, 07:37 PM
I would get the letter notarized

09-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I have been taking my niece's to WDW and DL for the past few years. At first my sister sent a noterized letter, now she just sends a letter. I have one that someone posted year's ago and just print of a new one each year and have my sister and BIL fill it out.

Sometimes the boarder patrol don't even check and then other times they have grilled me as to when I'm bringing her back. That was after the trip as we were crossing the boarder back into Canada sometime after midnight. My sister and BIL have driven us down and we were questioned quite a bit. You never know who you will get and how picky they will be.

I'm sure they keep track of when I have crossed the boarder and with whom. They should be able to figure out this is a yearly trip.

09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
It may not be needed but I would get the travel authorization notarized just to be safe. I was not asked for the ones I had for my kids, the border guard did talk to my oldest when we came back though. I would rather be safe than sorry. Some law firms will notarize documents for free. The one I work at does and so did the law firm I did my work placement at. His parents will have to be the one bringing it in to the law firm and they will probably have to sign it in front of the lawyer.

09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I am sure the notarization was free because you work/worked there.
Generally it is 25.00

09-12-2011, 07:11 AM
I am sure the notarization was free because you work/worked there.
Generally it is 25.00

I can't speak for your neck of the woods, but out here on the east coast, most lawyer's offices do it for free as a curtesy.

I would never travel with indirect family members without a notarized travel consent letter. Even if it did cost $25, it's not worth the risk of getting turned back at the border.

09-12-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree, I have never needed mine when just ds and I have gone but my bf needed it when she went with her son.

09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I am sure the notarization was free because you work/worked there.
Generally it is 25.00

No, it wasn't because I work there. I know what we charge the clients, which is nothing.

09-13-2011, 12:31 PM
My daughter just paid $50 to have her letter notarized.....she checked several lawyers and they all charged the same.