PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Anniversary - Borders affected?

disneyfreak89
09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
We're crossing over the Windsor/Detroit bridge to the states on Sunday.

Has anyone heard if there will be extra security that day because of the anniversary of 9/11?

disneyfreak89
09-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Anyone?

taylor3297
09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I haven't heard anything about the borders, but I do know that there have been reports of planned bombings in NY and DC. So I would go expecting extra security, just in case.

This is what we have heard so far. http://www.wral.com/news/political/story/10112201/

bdoyledimou
09-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I woul d expect long lines, and extra security. They will have dogs out, and they may do some primary screening well before you get up to the actual crossing.

I once crossed on a a July 4th weekend in Port Huron, and experienced the extra security. I was asked to see my documents while still on the bridge. Then a few minutes later, another guard tapped on my window and told me that his dog wanted out of the heat, and into the back of my van. :rotfl:

I opened the door, the dog hopped in, hopped out, and he siad thank you and kept going.

disneyfreak89
09-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the responses and links. That's funny about the sniffing dogs. We saw them out a month or so ago midweek, so I'm sure there will be more out this weekend.

I haven't 'heard' of any extra security at the borders, but it stands to reason there will be 'more' than the usual, so we'll plan on delays and go from there I guess.

photofreak
09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the responses and links. That's funny about the sniffing dogs. We saw them out a month or so ago midweek, so I'm sure there will be more out this weekend.

I haven't 'heard' of any extra security at the borders, but it stands to reason there will be 'more' than the usual, so we'll plan on delays and go from there I guess.

We are regular crossers at Niagara and Port Huron borders. 9 times out of 10 when we cross at Port Huron/Sarnia there are sniffing dogs. And the lineups are usually a minimum of 15-30 mins (if not more). Niagara is uaually quicker and we've only seen dogs maybe 3 times total. As for extra security for today, probably but we've crossed on days like when the US started bombing Iraq and the wait time and procedures were normal... So I guess it's just a crap shoot....