PDA

View Full Version : V@Grand Cali -- lovely

njmeisje
09-05-2011, 04:46 PM
We just did our first trip to Disney land and stayed at the Villas @ the Grand Californian. It was just lovely. We had a 2BR -- it was so much larger than anything we had stayed at before (and we've done 2BR at BC and HH). We loved the wood, the natural feel of the place. It was a really relaxing vacation -- and I don't find WDW vacations relaxing most of the time. We loved DL in the summer, such a refreshing change from WDW in the summer.

Brancaneve
09-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Glad you loved it! I have yet to stay at VGC but it is nice to hear nice comments about DLR. As a native Californian, I find the WDW hotels very relaxing. Funny how that works. ;)

ajf1007
09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
We stayed in a 2 bedroom at VGC in October of last year!! Just loved it! The rooms are so large and the resort as a whole is just amazing. Loved being able to walk right into DD too. Glad you had a wonderful time!

bellazachmom
09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
So glad to hear you enjoyes your trip!

We are headed to a 2BR at GCV next week and are really looking forward to it :goodvibes

Can I ask if you had a theme park view?

njmeisje
09-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi BellaZachMom -- first of all, have a wonderful trip - you will really enjoy yourself. We spent a night on the hotel side and yes we had a theme park view there. The lighting at night was pretty. Our villa room had a pool view --- and I really enjoyed the pool view. I think if I had to pick between the two -- the pool view suited my "relaxation state of mind."

One thing I REALLY enjoyed (if you like power walking). Every morning at 730a, you can do a power walk with GC staff. They take you thru the park for a 30 min walk. It was fun, informative, and a great bit of exercise, all while the park is empty, so you can really get a look at things. Look into it!

Have a great trip.
Diane

bellazachmom
09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you Diane! It is our first trip to DL and we can not wait! We are staying 7 nights and plan on doing as much as we can -- the known and little known!

I had planned on doing the walking tour, but had read that it was only offered a few days a week. I will certainly inquire about it at check in -- was it full the day(s) you did it?

We will be there after Labor Day so the park hours shorten considerably during the week, and open later then we are used to when at WDW -- thought that a walk around the empty park would be a great way to start the day.

Any other tips? Things not to be missed? Did you try WOC from the viewing tower at the villas?

We are taking a much more laid back kind of trip than what we usually do at WDW -- haven't even planned any meals! :scared1: took a bit of getting used to. I did book one of the dessert parties for Fantasminc! as our "splurge" for the trip.

We are really looking forward to being able to walk everywhere -- we love the boats and monorails at WDW, and really don't even mind the buses most of the time but having stayed at BCV and BLT last November and getting to walk to 3 parks really made us think that the location of VGC would be AWESOME (as my 7 year old says!) :goodvibes

DizDays
09-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Congratulations on what sounds like a great trip. I adore the Grand Cal and we own points at VGC but have yet to take our trip there. We are shooting for February 2013. We can't wait. We've stayed at the Grand Cal 4 times and new buying points were a must.

Glad you enjoyed it so much. I think it's my favorite, by far.

moredisneyplease
09-06-2011, 08:31 AM
i'm local to SoCal and havent stayed down there mainly because I live local. your post makes me think i should at least do a weekend!!

whamma
09-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Just booked today for April 5-12, 2012! Just a studio for us --the kids will think it's small because we usually get 1 bedrooms at WDW but couldn't justify using so many points. Can't wait for our first trip to California!!!

njmeisje
09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
So many nice posts about VGC -- enjoy your trips, I think you will love it as much as we did.

BellaZachsmom -- yes we did WOC. As a GC guest, you are let into the park early (9am for us) and you can go to the Grizzly Rapids where they have WOC Fast Passes. You get advanced chance to get them before 930a. Great perk.

Def see Fantasmic in DL -- its a completely different show than WDW, and built on classic Disney, you'll love it. Get there early. We sat in the viewing area at 730p for a 9pm show, and we were just in time for a good spot.

If you like unique Disney T shirts -- go to the Disney Vault store in Down Town Disney. I loved seeing new, edgy Disney-wear.

The last thing we LOVED was celebrating our daughter's birthday. They gave her the typical Birthday pin with her name on it -- BUT I never heard so many HB-days from Cast Members in my life. People are SUPER friendly and really understand how much people love (and choose) to spend their BD at Disney. It felt wonderful and really made her trip. Our other daughter joked that she wanted a Birthday pin too, just because she loved the attention Cait was getting. LOL, funny.

njmeisje
09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh and you MUST see the Memories show by Its a Small World in DL. It was at 845p for us. It made me cry, it was so beautiful.