PDA

View Full Version : Not again! Potential strike at Air Canada

LuzzBightyear
09-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Air Canada’s flight attendants will conduct a strike vote after overwhelmingly rejecting a new tentative agreement with the airline.

If the flight attendants give their union leadership a strike mandate, it could see Air Canada’s 6,800 flight attendants walk off the job as early as the third week of September.

The Air Canada Component of CUPE said 88% the flight attendants who cast a ballot voted against the deal, with 79% of those eligible to vote doing so.

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/08/27/air-canada-flight-attendants-reject-labour-deal/

I know...old news by now, but is anyone with fall travel plans to Disney concerned?

Hopefully both sides realize the government does not seem afraid to invoke back to work legislation and they will come to a negotiated settlement sooner rather than later! Even the potential for a strike hurts both sides in the end

SmilingGrump
09-02-2011, 08:41 AM
I've avoided AC for years. I've found their service to be as low as the US airlines but with pricing of a Canadian airline and connections all their own. I understand that out East their better, but here out West we're pretty tired of the Gov't bailing them out with our tax money on a regular basis (whether those bailouts be in direct cash injections to them or that they're the airline of choice for gov't travel even though other airlines are cheaper).

I know a few AC flight attendants and they were pretty ecstatic about the vote results, so I'd bet on them striking.

tone.def
09-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Now that AC is charging for bags into the US, I won't be flying them anyway. It's their demise.

SmilingGrump
09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Now that AC is charging for bags into the US, I won't be flying them anyway. It's their demise.

Sadly, it won't be. Aeroplan is worth more then AC (crazy, but true) and government employees and politicians hold a LOT of Aeroplan points, therefore when AC gets in financial trouble (again) they'll just get bailed out (again). AC won't be going out of business until Canadian skies are opened to international competition, and that's just never going to happen.

LuzzBightyear
09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I know a few AC flight attendants and they were pretty ecstatic about the vote results, so I'd bet on them striking.

Whether they want/vote to strike is one thing. Whether the government will let them is another. With news the economy contracted this past quarter, my guess is that the government will not want to rock the boat whatsoever and will put the kibosh to any strike quicker than they did in June

dennise
09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
We are flying AC on Sept. 29 from Orlando to Halifax, hope there is no strike, not sure how rebooking would work we used Avion points for our tickets.

treehugnmama
09-02-2011, 06:40 PM
We are flying AC on Sept. 29 from Orlando to Halifax, hope there is no strike, not sure how rebooking would work we used Avion points for our tickets.

I hope it all works out for tou

Mickey1Fan
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I have family flying in early October so hopefully all will be OK for them

karenscottparsons
09-09-2011, 06:06 AM
We are leaving for disney on the 22, 13 more days hopefully. I am frightened to death we are going to get tangled up in a strike.

mermaid&cinderella
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Argh...I don't want to hear that. We are flying AC to Orlando on sept 29th :confused:

Mickey's Best Girl
09-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I am leaving on the 30th, hopefully!

Between this and the checked bag fee (which thankfully won't affect me this time around), I will never sway from WestJet again just to save a few bucks. WestJet has never let me down. I can't believe I chose now to try AC!:headache:

WalkingintheFog
09-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I booked w/ aeroplan, and fly out on Sep 28.
My fingers are crossed tight!
Just let me get down there!

BELLEDOZER
09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
We are flying to DL on the 29th via Westjet so we won't be affected, but I really do feel for those who are flying AC, and hope that their flights won't be affected by the strike.

Mickey's Best Girl
09-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Local news just reported that an AC vote to strike was overwhelming and they could go next Wednesday, 21st.

They will keep a "Partial Schedule". Whatever that means. :headache:

I might not be flying out on the 30th after all. :furious:

gilsan
09-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I am flying to Italy at the end of October so I hope that it is all settled by then.

LuzzBightyear
09-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Local news just reported that an AC vote to strike was overwhelming and they could go next Wednesday, 21st.

They will keep a "Partial Schedule". Whatever that means. :headache:

I might not be flying out on the 30th after all. :furious:

The Globe and Mail says both sides are still negotiating with the assistance of a federal mediator, so hopefully the two sides can come to a settlement before the 21st.
But if they do strike on the 21st, I think you will be ok for the 30th. In all likelihood, the federal government will not let this last that long. I would consider writing to your MP expressing your concerns though.

Mickey's Best Girl
09-14-2011, 09:05 AM
The Globe and Mail says both sides are still negotiating with the assistance of a federal mediator, so hopefully the two sides can come to a settlement before the 21st.
But if they do strike on the 21st, I think you will be ok for the 30th. In all likelihood, the federal government will not let this last that long. I would consider writing to your MP expressing your concerns though.

That is great advice..... I have just drafted a letter! I think I will deliver it to the office in person.
:goodvibes

damo
09-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, we fly out on the 15th and back on the 24th....yikes!

Zife
09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I hate the idea of a trip being ruined because of AC striking (I'm hopefully flying out on Sept 29, so I'm in the same boat), but I don't think we should be writing to MPs or anything like that.

In fact, the government should technically stay out of this job action completely, since AC is no longer a Crown Corporation; it's a publicly traded (or privately owned, can't reember which) company. If some random union at a factory had issues (which happened here at Purity Factories), you wouldn't expect the government to step in and fix them. Purity was locked out for months before something was mediated.

All of that said, my trip is booked through Air Miles. I called them to ask what would happen if AC strikes, and they said I'd have to deal with AC since I didn't get the Air Miles Insurance. Air Miles would be no help at all.

I also talked to my travel agent (who the rest of the trip is booked through), and she said not to worry too much about it right now. There are no guarantees that there will be a strike, and she said that historically when airlines strike, other airlines step up to help out so that people's vacations aren't ruined.

Finally, if you have a travel agent that you usually deal with, get in touch with them even if you didn't book through them. Like I said, I booked with Air Miles, but my TA said that if there's an issue, Air Canada usually gives TAs authority to 'take over' reservations to help make sure people get where they're going.

LuzzBightyear
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I hate the idea of a trip being ruined because of AC striking (I'm hopefully flying out on Sept 29, so I'm in the same boat), but I don't think we should be writing to MPs or anything like that.

In fact, the government should technically stay out of this job action completely, since AC is no longer a Crown Corporation; it's a publicly traded (or privately owned, can't reember which) company. If some random union at a factory had issues (which happened here at Purity Factories), you wouldn't expect the government to step in and fix them. Purity was locked out for months before something was mediated.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion and if you feel it is inappropriate for government to intervene, you are free to write your MP to tell them so just as any other citizen is for whatever concerns they have.

I am not sure what Purity Factories is or does, but would a work stoppage have a significant negative effect on the country's economy in a time we are treading close to another recession? It shouldn't matter a company is private or public, if it is in the public's best interest, then I yes, I do expect action to be taken. If anything else, as we have seen with the last labour dispute in June, just the threat of back to work legislation was enough for the two sides to come together and actually come to an agreement before the legislation was finalized.

Zife
09-14-2011, 02:58 PM
True, the Purity lockout had no effect on the economy at all, aside from the employees that had no income for several months.

However, I would place a bet that if WestJet were to strike, nothing would be done. Why? Because it doesn't affect the politicians and policy makers who all fly AC.

In fact, there was a public transport strike here in 2010 that cost hundreds of people their jobs, and caused many more to have to drop out of university because they couldn't make it to classes. The strike lasted almost an entire semester, but nothing was done. I know it's not on the scale of Air Canada, but if the government really stepped in when it was in the publics best interest, they would have legislated back to work measures within weeks, if not days, of the strike starting.

I'm not going to get into a political debate on here, I just don't think people look at the big picture some of the time. And who knows, maybe I'm the naive one here. If you want to write your MP, go right ahead, I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing what they think is right.

CaligirlPEI
09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
ACK!!! looks like they are most likely going to walk as of Weds the 21st. OMG! i really really hope this doesnt effect my flights on Sunday the 25th. I have no choices here on PEI on who to fly out on really. *sigh* just want to get there.

fingers crossed they make this a strike that doesnt really effect the passengers too much.

:confused3

teekathepony
09-17-2011, 09:07 AM
ACK!!! looks like they are most likely going to walk as of Weds the 21st. OMG! i really really hope this doesnt effect my flights on Sunday the 25th. I have no choices here on PEI on who to fly out on really. *sigh* just want to get there.

fingers crossed they make this a strike that doesnt really effect the passengers too much.

:confused3

Yep, I hear you, we're flying on the 24th. We also have no choices here on Cape Breton. We spoke to our travel insurance this morning and they won't cover a thing due to a strike. We booked through Air Miles and they can't even start to consider alternate flights for us until the 22nd -- two days before!! That means that IF we do have to change, instead of flying in a little early, we'll most likely be late which means we're going to lose out on part of our vacation. :(

CaligirlPEI
09-17-2011, 10:32 AM
im so not going to let this bother me. IM TRYING REALLY REALLY HARD!!! AC says that this shouldnt effect passengers/flights....i truly hope not.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/09/16/air-canada-flight-attendants-raitt.html

so according to that they will be walking as early as Wednesday.

*chanting*..."calm blue ocean....calm relaxing breeze by the pool....wind whipping through my hair on Everest"

OMG! going to be calling on monday with my travel agent and even the AC to find out.

you know how bad it sucks to have no option. maybe the drive to halifax would have been better in hinde site. blah.:eek:

karenscottparsons
09-17-2011, 11:11 AM
We were suppose to fly to tampa on the 22, but ac allowed us to switch our flight to monday the 19 last night. This has been a very stressful week but hopefully will all work out for everyone. We are flying out of nl which also limits flights in and out of here.

bdoyledimou
09-17-2011, 12:05 PM
flying out would be the last of my concerns.. its coming back in!
AC has been horrible!
My Step mom flew home from ALberta to St. Johns in Aug. There was fog in St. Johns and they diverted to Deer Lake. Sat at Deer Lake for 8 hours, and then flown to Toronto and dropped off!

It was just lucky for here that we lived here and could take her in for some time until AC could get planes into NL again. (2 days with us)

mermaid&cinderella
09-17-2011, 12:41 PM
flying out would be the last of my concerns.. its coming back in!
AC has been horrible!
My Step mom flew home from ALberta to St. Johns in Aug. There was fog in St. Johns and they diverted to Deer Lake. Sat at Deer Lake for 8 hours, and then flown to Toronto and dropped off!

It was just lucky for here that we lived here and could take her in for some time until AC could get planes into NL again. (2 days with us)

Lol I don't care about coming home, who wants to come home anyways...lol. I just want to get down there on time. Running the Halloween 5K with DD and hubby and the Wine & Dine Half, don't want to miss that :)

I already called AC and they do have 3 US partner airlines that will take passengers and they did say some AC planes will be running. I was told to call closer to date and if I need to leave earlier I will. Good luck everyone!

teekathepony
09-18-2011, 07:04 AM
I keep reading that most likely they will be legislated to work before the strike even happens and nothing at all will be disrupted (except for my stress level!)
I don't care about coming home! I said that from the start... if they want to strike I wish they'd do it after I get to Orlando! I don't mind being stranded there!

dennise
09-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Teekathepony - I'm with you, we are cominging back on a Thursday, but don't have to be back to work until the following Monday, I don't mind the delay, but I really don't want the extra expense.

GreatGranny
09-18-2011, 08:35 AM
So sorry to all those booked with AC....as one pp said though, just get me down there and if coming back is delayed then I personally wouldn't care..LOL...although I do understand that it would be a problem for some due to finances, work etc.

We would have booked AC as well, but were encouraged to try JetBlue from Buffalo...glad we did.....leaving on 24th :banana:

minnie56
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I am flying to Italy at the end of October so I hope that it is all settled by then.

Oh I am sure it will be...and the International flights will be the least affected I am sure!;)

Corey114
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
We're flying out this Thursday....22nd. Keeping a close eye on what's been going on and hopeful that it gets resolved!

papertraveller
09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
We're looking at Thanksgiving, and hoping all is settled by then.

Don't forget the Opposition will have much to say about any back-to-work legislation -- just getting through the House will take some time. Why can Ottawa do this? Because the airline is federally regulated.

But AC will also be offering some deals for customers in the wake of any dispute or disruption too.

glenpreece
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Didn't someone say that the gov't uses AC all the time therefore wouldn't they not allow a strike to last very long??? I am flying out on Halloween and since they are now charging for nags I won't be flying them anymore.

minnie56
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Didn't someone say that the gov't uses AC all the time therefore wouldn't they not allow a strike to last very long??? I am flying out on Halloween and since they are now charging for nags I won't be flying them anymore.

They are charging for 'nags' OMG! Guess I can't be flying AC anymore!:lmao:

Sorry-couldn't resist...

Susan2771
09-20-2011, 05:53 AM
They are charging for 'nags' OMG! Guess I can't be flying AC anymore!:lmao:

Sorry-couldn't resist...

Exactly. Why would anyone want to pay for nags, when there are plenty of options out there for free nags? :)

SmilingGrump
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM
They've reached an agreement and there will be no strike!

While I'm sure this will be met with great relief by those waiting to go down, please keep your enthusiasm in check as there were others hoping to get stuck down there :lmao:

mermaid&cinderella
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM

While I'm sure this will be met with great relief by those waiting to go down, please keep your enthusiasm in check as there were others hoping to get stuck down there :lmao:

Great news, thanks for posting.:cool1:

papertraveller
09-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Yay!
It's funny, actually, that our next trip is on AC. We have been flying through Buffalo for so long now that I actually stop and realize, hey, we might be affected by this!
Now just to worry about DD's Halloween costume for MNSSHP!

LuzzBightyear
09-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Well certainly a positive step, especially for those travelling this week. However the deal still has to be ratified by union membership. They already rejected a tentative agreement back in August, and one has to assume that this time, union negotiators would have a better feeling of will or won't pass...but there still is a possibility that this isn't over.

teekathepony
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
We fly AC this trip. We were supposed to leave Saturday but with all the uncertainty we changed our flights to Friday, just to give us 24 hours of wiggle room. Now, not only do I not have to worry about the strike, I get to Disney a day early!

C&B Young
09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Glad they appear to have averted the strike. I think this trip to WDW will be our last on AC anyways though, the $100 in total bag fees that will be added to future trips is the straw that breaks the camel's back for us.

WalkingintheFog
09-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been doing my best not to think about it But also on my mind was Online Checkin..... do I or don't I. Wanted to, but oh lord!

And it's not settled.... I've read "The voting process will take at least one week, giving travellers a little time to breathe".....sigh, my flight is 28 Sep... not feeling 100% secure!
. .. aargh.

But for you people travelling in the next few days..:thumbsup2

mermaid&cinderella
09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I've been doing my best not to think about it But also on my mind was Online Checkin..... do I or don't I. Wanted to, but oh lord!

And it's not settled.... I've read "The voting process will take at least one week, giving travellers a little time to breathe".....sigh, my flight is 28 Sep... not feeling 100% secure!
. .. aargh.

But for you people travelling in the next few days..:thumbsup2

Yes I agree, we leave on the 29th and until everything is 100% I am still worried. I hate the uncertainty that this causes the general public, so unfair :mad:

Zife
09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that I read that voting won't take place for another 17 days (as of yesterday, so 16 days today), which means that if it gets rejected, it will be on or around Oct 7th.

mermaid&cinderella
09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that I read that voting won't take place for another 17 days (as of yesterday, so 16 days today), which means that if it gets rejected, it will be on or around Oct 7th.

Yes I "just" read that. So I guess I am okay going down but may have issues coming home, but I will take that....LOL We don't come back until the 14th so we will probably be okay if they do end up striking and back to work leg goes thru after 3 days.

I hope everyone else is okay getting down and back home!

LuzzBightyear
09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
The more I read about it, the less I worry about this affecting travel anytime soon.

This will be the second deal their union negotiated. Based on the first ratification vote, one would have to assume the union leadership would know what will or won't get ratified.

If for some chance this second deal gets voted down, membership would likely turf the union leadership who negotiated two bad deals in a row (in their opinion). This would mean they would need to find new bargaining representatives before even thinking of negotiating and striking again. On top of that, it is obvious the government would not tolerate them walking off the job and will very quickly intervene and force them back. Having two failed tentative agreements already, it is quite possible the government would get sick and tired of it all and could just impose a contract or force binding arbitration. Both scenarios could very well lead to a contract less favourable to the flight attendants than the one they have on the table now.

Not saying a strike won't happen for sure, it would just defy most logic to me at least

LuzzBightyear
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Well it turns out the Flight Attendants did not ratify the second tentative agreement. I guess the union negotiators did not know membership very well.

Air Canada has been advised by CUPE, the union representing the airline's 6,800 flight attendants, that the new tentative agreement reached by the Company and the union's negotiating committee on September 20, 2011 was not ratified by the union membership. Subsequently, Air Canada has been given a strike notice by CUPE confirming the union's intention to begin a strike at 00:01 a.m. ET Thursday October 13, 2011.

http://newswire.ca/en/story/855873/air-canada-receives-strike-notice-from-cupe

Hoping for the best for everyone's travel plans...

mbb
10-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Ugh :headache:

Hope all gets sorted out before Thursday...

:)

Polydweller
10-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Ugh :headache:

Hope all gets sorted out before Thursday...

Same here. Supposed to go Saturday but would have to cancel. No other options except rebook to next year if Disney will let us do that.

Only silver lining I see is that I'm not in Florida trying to figure out how to get home.

webworm
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
If they do strike on Thursday the gov't will legislate them back to work within 3 days I'm sure.

mermaid&cinderella
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Same here. Supposed to go Saturday but would have to cancel. No other options except rebook to next year if Disney will let us do that.

Only silver lining I see is that I'm not in Florida trying to figure out how to get home.

I'm in Florida right now and suppose to head back Friday, I rather be stuck here for a few days than not able to get down here. Can anyone say extended vacation....LOL

Seriously it will be a pain but I won't stress over it since I will still be on vacation mode ;)

princess pooh
10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Aww crap :(

I'm supposed to return home on Sunday and I really don't want to be stuck in Orlando without a flight home. I hope everything gets sorted out before then.

mbb
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Aww crap :(

I'm supposed to return home on Sunday and I really don't want to be stuck in Orlando without a flight home. I hope everything gets sorted out before then.

Get in touch with your TA now, and work out some acceptable alternatives.

Wait times on hold today are hours, hours...ugh.

I've got clients booked for flights, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday... and as I've told all of them... it's not a good sign that AC is already posting no-fee changes.

:headache::headache::headache:

Not going to be a fun weekend.

:(

minnie56
10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I think everyone is ok..for now:confused3
They seem to have had their 'wings clipped' for the time being.

mbb
10-12-2011, 07:27 AM
I think everyone is ok..for now:confused3
They seem to have had their 'wings clipped' for the time being.

Safe travels, everyone!!