PDA

View Full Version : HKDL to begin construction in Jan

Sarangel
10-17-2002, 10:59 AM
According to Bloomberg.com (http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?T=marketsquote99_news.ht&s=APa1OnxSsRGlzbmV5). I find the following most interesting:By the time the first phase of the park is finished in 15 years[emphasis added], the theme park is expected to pull 10 million visitors annually to its rides, 2,100 hotel rooms and 28,000 square meters of retail, dining and entertainment outlets. Park employment is projected to double to 36,000 people. Now, maybe my math is off, but I can't take 2002, add 15 and get 2005...

Testtrack321
10-17-2002, 11:38 AM
15 months? Typo. But geeze, even for Esiner, 15 years?!?!?!

larworth
10-18-2002, 09:00 AM
The initial phase of lands and attractions is supposed to be somewhat limited. I interpreted this as how long it would take before this park approached something of the size of the current MK or DLP. Opens in 2005 with phased expansions over the next 15 years.

Horace Horsecollar
10-18-2002, 09:11 AM
This suggests a slightly updated version of those immortal words...

"Hong Kong Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world, or 15 years is up."

Sarangel
10-18-2002, 09:59 AM
:smooth: Thanks, HoraceHorsecoller. That was an excellent paraphrase...

Seriously, it does make me wonder about unfinished parks closer to home. Are we going to have to wait 15 years for them to bring DCA up to acceptable levels? Will AK have to wait 15 years before most people consider it a full day park?

I guess I've been infected by the Landbaron's pessimism with the current management.

Sarangel

raidermatt
10-18-2002, 01:43 PM
Sara, if current philosophy holds, whether a park is finished or not will be determined by its financial performance.

Its pretty clear that the "never finished" philosophy is dead. Or at least its on life support.

It no longer is part of the philosophy to update and add, its now only done when a compelling and direct financial correlation can be shown.

(note to Scoop- that's not to say NOBODY in the company believes in the "never finished" concept. Only that the end decisions are heavily skewed away from that belief.)

Dznefreek
10-19-2002, 08:51 AM
HKDL to begin construction in Jan Construction is already underway.

Jeff in BigD
10-20-2002, 02:58 AM
I still have a sour taste in my mouth aboutr building a park in a country with such a bad human rights record as China. Geez, I can almost see the tanks rolling down Main Street USA (ala Tiananmen Square). Financially sound? Maybe. Ethically palatable? Not for me. :(