PDA

View Full Version : Tiered Perks

deebits
08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
DH and Ijust returned from Disney. After attending a DCV events,we spoke with a guide about add on. We were informed by the guide there was going to be the start of tiered points perks starting at 300 points up to 1000 points. I know there was a thread about this awhile ago, but has anyone else heard what this actually will be?

DVCconvert
08-30-2011, 12:06 PM
but has anyone else heard what this actually will be?

Nope. All sizzle, no steak yet.

adminjedi
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Nope. All sizzle, no steak yet.

Looking forward to something we can sink our teeth into!:goodvibes

Brian Noble
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
We were informed by the guide there was going to be the start of tiered points perks starting at 300 points up to 1000 points.
Let me guess: you own just under 300, right?

adminjedi
08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Let me guess: you own just under 300, right?

or 999!:lmao:

adminjedi
08-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm hoping there will be a tier of 1500+ - we need an additional incentive to satiate our add-on-itis!

deebits
08-30-2011, 12:27 PM
actually we own over a 1000

DVCconvert
08-30-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm hoping for a 2000 and 2500 point set of perks!!

Granny
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
I know there was a thread about this awhile ago, but has anyone else heard what this actually will be?

For whatever reason, the bus drivers don't seem to be sharing their insider knowledge on this one! :rotfl2:

deebits
08-30-2011, 01:35 PM
For whatever reason, the bus drivers don't seem to be sharing their insider knowledge on this one! :rotfl2:

That is too funny:rotfl:. The bus drivers better get up to speed:rotfl2:

missycj96
08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
A year ago a dvc rep told me that tiered benefits were coming ...

SusieBea
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
I wonder if these plans will be altered now that Mr. Lewis has been replaced. :confused3

hakepb
08-30-2011, 02:08 PM
A year ago a dvc rep told me that tiered benefits were coming ...

..And BLT was virtually sold out (yet sales continued for the next year) and ....

;)

rock_doctor
08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't see it happening. There is a big difference between owning huge number of points when bought decades ago and owning a huge number of points when bought in recent years. Also a difference in owing your points at BLT then at another resort... :rolleyes1 This means they would not only have a tiered system but it would also need to be home resort specific... popcorn::

dmoore22
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
I wonder if these plans will be altered now that Mr. Lewis has been replaced. :confused3

My thought exactly. :thumbsup2

pyrxtc
08-31-2011, 06:25 AM
forget the tiered perks system. I think too many owners would complain. There are some "owners" out there that only own so they can rent them out. Who gets the perks then that would be theirs ?

ftballfan7
08-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Not a fan of the tiered system concept. Let the class warfare begin!

logan115
08-31-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't see it happening. There is a big difference between owning huge number of points when bought decades ago and owning a huge number of points when bought in recent years. Also a difference in owing your points at BLT then at another resort... :rolleyes1 This means they would not only have a tiered system but it would also need to be home resort specific... popcorn::

HA - so if Owner A owns 1000 pts at SSR, and Owner B owns 1000 pts at BLt, DVC is going to tell one of them that they are better than the other and entitled to more benefits ? I don't see that happening :rolleyes1 Then when Owner C buys 1000 pts at GF, they'll be better than Owners B&C, and DVC will have PO'd all owners except for those that own at what they determine to be to "best" resort..............

Chris

dianeschlicht
08-31-2011, 09:06 AM

That was my thought as well. Unfortunately, I think anything decided by Mr. Lewis is already written in stone at this point unless the new powers that be see fit to change things back to the way it should be.

I'm not sure how I feel about tiered benefits. First of all, I find it offensive on one level. If you buy in at the minimum you should have the same product as those with the maximum. On the other hand....I do see how folks buying one resale of 25 points and having it as their only contract could be a "perk problem" for DVC. Given that though, I fail to understand why the breakoff would be 300. Why not just make it the minimum buy in? Of course that changes too. When we first bought, the minimum was 220, and now it's 100. :confused3

Golden Rose
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
I know talk of a tiered system has come up with some frequency over the last year and a bit, and I suspect they'll eventually implement some version of it. Depending on at what level they actually start the first tier, we may or may not have enough to qualify for any additional perks, and that's ok with me.

As long as they add additional perks for higher point owners, and don't take away too many things that lower point owners have gotten accustomed to, I don't think they'll have too much mutiny from current owners. It could be an effective marketing device to get someone to buy just a few more points to access the next tier. I confess that, depending on the perks, it might well work for us.

I do think they'd have to be very careful to limit perks to owners (and guests traveling with them) staying on their own points. They could all too easily end up giving the best perks to those who rent from high point owners, which is the only aspect of this that bothers me. I don't have an issue with someone who has bought a lot of points, and given Disney a lot of their money, getting some extra perks.

Honestly, you can already buy a better experience when you go to WDW. If you pay deluxe prices and stay at club level, you're going to have more perks (lounge with snacks, concierge staff who helps you get the ADRs you want, easier check-in) than someone who doesn't pay for club level, or doesn't stay at a deluxe resort. And people who stay on Disney property get perks that people who don't get. On the hotel side, the more money you give to Disney, the better perks you get. Why wouldn't they eventually find a way to do something similar on the DVC side?

They want people to buy more points directly from Disney. Anything that encourages people to spend more money to get something that doesn't cost them too much money is going to be seriously considered, and probably implemented.

Anjelica
08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Here's hoping that we have enough points to get in on the tier that includes "using your fastpass after the designated window time"....:lmao:

Granny
08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I know talk of a tiered system has come up with some frequency over the last year and a bit, and I suspect they'll eventually implement some version of it.

I agree with this. I see tiered perks mostly as a way to entice existing owners to add on and help sell out SSR, AKV and BLT.

Maistre Gracey
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I wish they would reveal the plan..
We have been holding more points than we need, and are waiting to see the perks before we unload some.

MG

bgraham34
08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Not a fan of the tiered system concept. Let the class warfare begin!

I agree with you. I only own 100 points and I will eventually hit 150 but that is all I plan to do. I don't have the funds for much more than that.

sean-1966
08-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm not interested in tiered benefits. We own 430 points and I don't think we should have more benefits then someone that owns 50 points, or less then someone that has 1000.

wildernessDad
08-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe any tiered points system will be based solely on those points purchased directly through Disney.

tjkraz
08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe any tiered points system will be based solely on those points purchased directly through Disney.

Going forward, I think that's a given. Disney could package this as a "thank you" to those who have made the biggest financial commitment, but it would clearly be an effort to encourage more add-on sales and/or provide another reason to buy direct rather than resale.

When discussing this at last year's annual meeting, Jim Lewis was also very clear that referring new business to DVC would also help one qualify. This is purely speculation on my part but if the threshold is 1000 points, a member may be able to qualify by purchasing 250 points and serving as referral for other members who buy 750+.

As long as such a program adds new perks without taking anything away, I don't have a problem with it. Throughout Disney's parks there are already countless examples of preferential treatment occurring. On site guests get benefits like EMH and package delivery. Those who book through AAA get better parking (or at least they used to.) If you pay extra for a dessert package you get better seats for Wishes. If you go on a DVC tour, you get several instant fastpass.

The idea that all guests are treated equally is an illusion, and it will only get worse when more NextGen technology is rolled out and they start changing the rules for things like FastPass.

If they don't negatively impact the experiences of those who are not eligible to participate, I can't begrudge DVC (or Disney) for extending some additional gesture to guests who have made a substantially greater investment in DVC than the average.

sschu717
08-31-2011, 01:14 PM

I guess you can say that we have some sort of tiered system with the direct sale/resale changes that came in March. :confused3

Dean
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I suspect such a system is inevitable and I'm surprised they didn't go that route a long time ago. To those who don't approve they are everywhere, to take a hard stand against them would mean one could hardly shop or do business anywhere.

Brian Noble
08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Let the class warfare begin!
What is it the kids these days tweet? Ah yes...

#firstworldproblem

Dziactor
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't mind tiered perks as well as long as they don't take anything away from me for the number of points I currently have. It will suck if i'm 10-20 from the next level as it would mean another add on.

Dean
08-31-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't mind tiered perks as well as long as they don't take anything away from me for the number of points I currently have. It will suck if i'm 10-20 from the next level as it would mean another add on.The nature of such systems is to have those who have and those who have not. Depending on specific options decided upon, essentially forcing add ons is one of the main goals of such programs. It's also possible that no current members could be included in such additional benefits without an additional purchase.

sschu717
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't mind tiered perks as well as long as they don't take anything away from me for the number of points I currently have. It will suck if i'm 10-20 from the next level as it would mean another add on.

I don't mind the idea of tiered perk system either. If I am a few points shy of the next level, and the incentive is great enough, I will most likely add on.

My main concern is that I am able to secure a reservation at the DVC resort of my choice. Everything else is a bonus.

twinklebug
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm not interested in tiered benefits. We own 430 points and I don't think we should have more benefits then someone that owns 50 points, or less then someone that has 1000.

I feel the same way. In the RV club my parents belonged to when I was a kid, those that had the expensive top-of-the-line motor homes had the same benefits as those who came in small no-name campers. We were all equals and it felt wonderful to just share time together. (granted there were bragging rights amongst the men about who had the biggest/newest unit LOL)

I have but one contract, when and if I add on it will be because I want more points to use/share not because of any tiered benefit system.

Dean
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't mind the idea of tiered perk system either. If I am a few points shy of the next level, and the incentive is great enough, I will most likely add on.

My main concern is that I am able to secure a reservation at the DVC resort of my choice. Everything else is a bonus.You're assuming they will only play on the fringes with perks, etc. This is not necessarily the case. Priority wait lists, priority reservations and many other options are possibilities though more realistic to affect new resorts than existing ones.

Alexander2010
08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
I understand that some people think that because they have more points, They should get more perks. But they sell DVC to people that you are now a part owner of Disney. And why should someone who just wants to go and enjoy the 1 or 2 times a year be penalized for not buying or not being able to afford more points.

Dean
08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
I understand that some people think that because they have more points, They should get more perks. But they sell DVC to people that you are now a part owner of Disney. And why should someone who just wants to go and enjoy the 1 or 2 times a year be penalized for not buying or not being able to afford more points.It's about selling retail points. Other companies have done exactly what you say they would not do including Marriott, Bluegreen and Wyndham. Other than the home resort reservations, they could change almost everything else they wanted and even then, they can put pressure on the members.