PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance companies for a 24 year old?

TimNDansMom
08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
DS24 is starting to look around for car insurance. We are hoping he waits until he is 25 and has saved more money but he says he needs a vehicle. He currently lives in Hamilton.

Any suggested insurance companies for someone his age?

Ted in Halifax
08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
My 21 year old son ... has insurance through TD. Pays $600 per year. Not bad .... for simple liability for a young guy.

TimNDansMom
08-29-2011, 04:39 PM
My son says he's looking into taking over a 2009 or 2010 lease, so he'd need more than liability unfortunately. TD, his bank, quoted him $260/month!

Daisy-J&D
08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
When I was looking a couple of years ago I was a new driver over age 25 and the bank quotes were INSANE. I mean, I couldn't even believe it. I think RBC wanted close to $400/month.
I ended up using Dalton Timmis Insurance Group which is in Ancaster and they got me a good rate with Aviva.

Daisy-J&D
08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
BTW, I was living in Toronto at the time which accounts for the high rate... but STILL. My Aviva rate was less than half.

corster
08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
TD, Belair Direct, or Desjardins General are the three insurance companies most people I know in my age group are with.

networktek
08-30-2011, 02:07 PM
we switched from statefarm to TD and they saved us hundreds on our car and house insurance and if you are part of a university or graduate you also get more of a discount

ferris198
08-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Try kanetix.ca they will give him approximate quotes.
Also too try a broker for a quote.
IF he takes higher deductibles that may help somewhat

MedicGoofy
08-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I second AVIVA. We use them for work so I do get a discount. I have used them for years now. I use a subgroup called Northcity Insurance.

http://www.northcity.ca/

They are the leading insurance groups for ambulance fleet, and with that I get family and friends discount. I have probably been with them for 6 years. I started at $130 a month, I am currently at $100 a month. It's a phenominal rate. They are VERY competitive compared to other insurance companies. I have a low deductable as well.

Give them a look. Hope it helps:)

ferris198
08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Aviva does have good rates but you will need to go through a broker as they are an insurance company not a direct writer.

damo
08-30-2011, 05:10 PM
If he went to University, they have good rates. The rates through Western and McMaster were the best that we could find.

tone.def
08-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I've dealt with State Farm since I was a teenager. Rates dropped at my 25th birthday and my 30th birthday. Getting married, having children helped too. No tickets. Now we also get the discount for home insurance and camper and rental properties... It pays to build a relationship :goodvibes

MedicGoofy
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Aviva does have good rates but you will need to go through a broker as they are an insurance company not a direct writer.

If NorthCity would be a broker.....if not, then I don't use a broker for AVIVA. I go through North City but my Insurance is technically AVIVA.

mom_rules
08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
For an under 25 yr old male we found Wawanesa to be excellent-Our son pays $2600 per year.

Economical Mutual was second.

ferris198
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
If NorthCity would be a broker.....if not, then I don't use a broker for AVIVA. I go through North City but my Insurance is technically AVIVA.

North CIty is a broker for AVIVA through their Traders Division.
I worked at AVIVA for over 10 years.

sjsjbrook
08-31-2011, 09:09 PM
I would check with an insurance broker. They compare the companies and will give you the best price. They also will not work with a company that requires a credit check to be insured ( Aviva formally pilot does that now, they base your rate on a credit check).

ferris198
08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
I would check with an insurance broker. They compare the companies and will give you the best price. They also will not work with a company that requires a credit check to be insured ( Aviva formally pilot does that now, they base your rate on a credit check).

AVIVA is not formerly Pilot. Aviva bought the parent company of Pilot years ago Pilot is/was a subdivison of Aviva.
Secondly very few companies use credit rating as a basis for auto insurance.

TimNDansMom
09-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! :goodvibes

wendyt_ca
09-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I work for TD Insurance as an analyst for customers in Ontario. They are a great company and you can get some great rates if you have no accident history. I just don't recommend getting a Civic as Honda's and Acura's are some of the most expensive.

fnkyyellow
09-03-2011, 06:58 AM
I am a broker. No auto insurance companies in Ontario are allowed to credit score since the new auto reform came in on September 1, 2010. It's true, Aviva was credit scoring, had a 3 tiered company, but that's a LONG story.

Your son should be able to get a good rate if he uses the same provider as you, so that he can get multi car discount and some companies will give him multi line discount. (Provided he still lives in your household).

I'm sure he's encountered some high rates, Hamilton is really expensive compared to it's surrounding areas. It appears that Aviva may be targeting younger drivers at this time because they do have competitive rates right now. If he got his G1 @ 16 and moved through the levels to G, he should be at least a 6* driving record right now.

PM me if you have any questions!

Good Luck!

wendyt_ca
09-03-2011, 08:17 AM
PP is right your credit score won't be looked at for auto as it isn't allowed. He should be able to link a policy with yours to get the multi vehicle and if you have home multi line. I would quote with your company doing that but also price around because depending on the rates it still could end up cheaper elsewhere.

MedicGoofy
09-03-2011, 12:30 PM
North CIty is a broker for AVIVA through their Traders Division.
I worked at AVIVA for over 10 years.

Great. So like I stated in my original post about this, I use North City through Aviva. I have no idea about brokers. I said I use a subgroup. Subgroup, broker, whatever.

I reiterate what I said. They have some of the best rates. Have been with them for years. When shopping around was quoted through many insurance groups, most listed here. And all came back significantly higher than what I was quoted through this group. Even my brother, with an accident to his record, was quoted much lower than what he was paying.

Again, because AVIVA holds our fleet insurance, we get discounts becuase of this. My bro does not get a discount but has a great rate as well.

ferris198
09-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Yes you get a discount because it is done through a group.
That is what Traders insures is groups

TimNDansMom
09-05-2011, 01:23 PM
He's out living on his own in Hamilton now but I've already recommended that he talk to our broker. I'll also pass the AVIVA info along to him. Thanks again! :goodvibes

DisneyFairytale
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
We had the same problem with my DH. Your son might have to consider driving a beater until he is at an age that lowers his rate so he only requires liability. But driving a nice vehicle, and wanting full coverage for a good price=asking for a miracle.

wendyt_ca
09-07-2011, 08:33 AM
We had the same problem with my DH. Your son might have to consider driving a beater until he is at an age that lowers his rate so he only requires liability. But driving a nice vehicle, and wanting full coverage for a good price=asking for a miracle.

Liability only is actually the most expensive portion of the premium. Most of the premium is in the Accident Benefits. Depending on his rates having liability only may not save him a huge amount. It does depend though on the car as it may still save $500+/year but if he is saving that much on comprehensive and collision then the accident benefits portion would be a lot more. He can get liability only on any car as long as it is not financed or leased.

Gnat
09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
You just have to spend some time searching I'm afraid. When I got my first car I went to several brokers and some direct companies. Brokers gave me way cheaper prices! Yes I spent a whole day driving around to various places but it was worth it, my quotes ranged from $2100 to $4500 for the year!!!!!!! Big differences for the same insurance! That was when I was 22 and buying a 4 year old Kia with full coverage. Now at 26 I am still with the same company, have 2 cars (a 2001 and a 2010) and renters insurance for $2100 a year the same as I was paying for the one car when I started!

It takes patience but it will work out.